Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: We have First of all, we have a lot of stuff we're giving away on the show today. We have two pairs of tickets to give away for the iHeartRadio album release party for the Lumineers. If you haven't heard their new album, they just released it last week. That party itself is going to be next Wednesday at the iHeartRadio Theater right across the street over there at Great Little Venue to check out new bands, old bands, whatever, and their new releases. So we're going to give away two pairs of tickets to the Illumineers album release party. Also tickets to JT. Miller's Irvine improv sets this weekend. He's got two shows tonight, two shows tomorrow, show on Sunday, and TJ is actually going to be in studio with us a little bit later in the show, so that'll be very fun. There's a lot going on right after this segment. We're going to get into the whole discussion about what's going on between the United States and Russia. It appears that we're closer now that we've been in a very long time to some sort of a ceasefire deal. When it comes to Russia and the aggression against Ukraine. There's a lot of pushback though, because President Trump had suggested in comments earlier in the week that Ukraine caused this, or that Ukraine started this when Russia invaded three years ago, and just about everybody is pushing back. He's kind of out on a limb on this one, and it hasn't made sense to me. I've tried to figure out what kind of angle he's going for all week, and now there's some pretty high profile conservatives who are also saying, this makes no sense. You're saying it completely wrong or I completely disagree with you. So we'll get into some of that and how that is impacting those ongoing relations. Luigi Mangioni, remember that name. Luigi Mangioni is doing court today. He is accused of shooting that United Healthcare CEO in New York City and then lee everybody on about a five day hunt for him.
Speaker 3: He's scheduled to be in court today.
Speaker 2: Prosecutors and his defense attorneys are expected to do a bunch of updates and status reports of the case to Judge Gregory Carrow. He could set deadlines for some of the pre trial paperwork, possibly even a trial date, which would be pretty amazing. The Washington Post is reporting today that President Trump is in the process of, or will begin the process of dissolving the leadership at the US Postal Service. He wants to combine the USPS into its I guess he wants to put it into the Department of Commerce and under the new Secretary, Howard Lutnick.
Speaker 3: So he's expected to issue an.
Speaker 2: Executive order, maybe even today, to fire the members of the governing board of the US Postal Service and then put everything under the Commerce Department. And then a little fun little fact. If you were flying an Australian airliner over the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand, you got a very strange warning that the Chinese Navy were doing was doing We're doing a secret live fire exercise. The Australian Defence Minister. The Air Services Regulator in Australia said that they were warning commercial pilots of the potential hazard and airspace you know, live ammunition because these Chinese warships were doing exercises off the coast of Australia, but the Defence Minister there in Australia, Richard Marles, said that they only learned about it because the airliners were told about it. It did not come from China according to Australia. So that's all some of that stuff coming up. A little bit later we get into the stories of dogs sleeping and what we can learn about our little furry friends from their sleeping habits. I did something last night that I am proud of because it was very different than anything I've done before. But I bought my wife tickets to go see something called The Love Game.
Speaker 3: Lazy. It's not that it's not no no, no, no no. It's not that.
Speaker 2: It was a kind of a staged speed dating thing with a bunch of actors. And the premise is there's a doctor who has set up a dating app and she's got scientific research to explain who's going to end up with whom, and we, as the audience members, are assigned to one of these singles that's looking for love, and as they do their speed dating through the night, we coach them on things to ask or how it went. Do, We ask what they're interested in and all that sort of stuff. There's seven people, dudes and ladies. Everything's on the table. Okay, hey, it's twenty twenty five, Amelia Perez whatever, all that stuff. The twist at the end of this, and I'm gonna give it away because there's only a couple more shows of it. It's at the Virgil down in East Hollywood. They're on Santa Monica Boulevard. The twist at the end is, at least some of the seven singles want to be in a polyamorous relationship.
Speaker 3: So all I could think.
Speaker 2: Of was the time that we did a news and bruise and the food truck was run by the throttle and my face there was a point. There was a point when my wife turned to me and said, you need to fix your face because you're scowling, And I just felt like the rug had been pulled out from under me. I mean, our guy, the guy that was our single that we were trying to hook up with all of these you know, find a match for him.
Speaker 3: It was this nice character. I mean, he's an actor playing this character.
Speaker 2: It was a nice character, like it was kind of shy and you didn't get out much, so he's really going out on limb to do this speed dating thing, and then it ends up the person that we set him up with ends up asking him if he wants to be in a polyamorous relationship and he was like, nah, that's not my speed. So anyway, it was a weird. It was one of those very weird, weird, like homespun theater things that well, I will never trust the La Times again.
Speaker 3: I'll just say that.
Speaker 2: Okay, when we come back, it's USA, it's Russia, it's Ukraine. What the hell is going on? And is Donald Trump out on a limb on this one? Don't forget late in the show what you learned this week on the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: You always leave us a talkback message.
Speaker 2: Hit that little microphone button when you're listening on the app and send us a quick message and let you let us know what you learned this week on the Gary and Shannon Chow. So, Russia is said to be preparing to declare victory. We don't know what this is going to look like, but Ukrainian intelligence has said that Vladimir Putin is expected to frame some sort of an announcement. Is not only a win over Ukraine, but get this a win over NATO because he's going to try to frame this conflict, the Russian invasion of Ukraine as a broader defeat for NATO because they didn't want NATO on their doorstep.
Speaker 3: That's why they wouldn't.
Speaker 2: They invaded Ukraine to make sure that it didn't get included in the North Atlantic Treaty organization. And we told you yesterday, and let me see if I can pull this a sound bite up. We told you yesterday about President Trump and his assertion that somehow Ukraine was responsible for the invasion back in February of twenty twenty five, sorry, twenty twenty two.
Speaker 3: Right here we're hearing.
Speaker 1: That Russia wants to force Ukraine to hold new elections in order to sign any kind of a peace deal.
Speaker 3: Is that something that the US would ever support? Well, we have up later in the bag election.
Speaker 1: Have an impact on getting Zelensky to sign the rare earth minerals deal.
Speaker 4: Look, you have leadership, and I like him personally, it's fine, it's fine. I don't care about personally. I care about getting the job done. You have leadership now that's allowed a war to go on that should have never even happened. But today I heard, oh we weren't invited. Well, you've been there for three years. You should have ended it three years. You should have never started it.
Speaker 3: You should have never started it. That's what he's talking about.
Speaker 2: So retired Lieutenant General Keith Kellogg is actually the Special Envoy for Ukraine and Russia and met with President Zelensky in Kiev in the last few days. And after this meeting, I told you yesterday they canceled what there was supposed to be a news conference.
Speaker 3: They can't, so that just did a photo op.
Speaker 2: But Kellogg took to Twitter and said extensive and positive discussions with Zelensky, used the Twitter handle and then said the embattled and courageous leader of a nation at war and his talented national security team. That's very different than President Trump saying that Zelensky was a dictator. Mark Levin on Fox News also said, I don't know why there are people that not only oppose Zolensky but seemed to support Putin. Now, how is that not a direct shot at President Trump? He said, there needs to be peace between these two countries. Again, this is Mark Levin, and I think Donald Trump is uniquely able to do that.
Speaker 3: I really do. But there cannot be peace at any cost.
Speaker 2: The New York Post put out an editorial that suggested that Vladimir Putin was the dictator. In fact, put a picture of him on the front page and wrote the headline, big bold letters, this is a dictator. I mean, all of these things going, all of these you know, pretty conservative voices going against Donald Trump. Now, as you heard in that question asked of the President, there this rare earth minerals deal that might be the thing that guarantees American money for Ukraine going forward.
Speaker 5: Yeah, understanding from Ukraine official is that they're very much talking, still negotiating this rare earth mineral contract, which seems to now be at the heart of Ukraine and US relationships period going forwards. One element a Ukraine official tells me that the Ukrainians want to see added is, in his terms, security elements. That's slightly different to the security guarantees that we heard the President talk about.
Speaker 2: And then Mike Wallas is the National Security Advisor, and he was speaking the at Sea pack. In fact, this was just today. He was very confident that Ukraine would sign this deal for these rare earth minerals.
Speaker 6: Here's the bottom line, President Selenski is going to sign that deal and you will see.
Speaker 3: That in the very short term, and that is good for Ukraine.
Speaker 6: What better could you have for Ukraine than to be in an economic partnership with the United States. Now, we have an obligation to you all, the American taxpayer, to recoup the hundreds of billions of dollars that had been invested in this war. Europe's contributions are in the form of loans.
Speaker 2: So the document that's on the table when it comes to these rare earth minerals and what involvement the United States have with a peaceful Ukraine, they said that initially Ukraine would provide the US government with fifty percent of its revenue from some of the key resources minerals, oil, gas, et cetera. Now, the proposal right now is that's where it's locked, is that this fifty percent.
Speaker 3: Zelenski's team was presented with this in.
Speaker 2: Say the twelfth, in Kiev on the twelfth of February, and they were criticizing the Trump administration, saying that they were trying to strong arm the country into this deal that exploits Ukraine. And Mike Waltz's point is, yeah, but it's better than not being a member of NATO just having a basic friendship with no significant amount of trade between the two countries. This at least locks the United States in to being a major trade partner because of the potential billions of dollars that we would get from these rare earth minerals. So that's the latest on what's going on there, and trust me, it is not over by any means.
Speaker 3: We're going to be.
Speaker 2: Giving away a couple of pairs of tickets to the iHeart album release party for the Lumineers. Their new album just came out last Friday. You can check it out an eleven o'clock hour. The album release party will be right over there, right across the street at the iHeartRadio Theater here in LA which is a great, cool little venue to see any band of any size. But the luminary are doing their album release party over there coming up next week. So in the eleven o'clock hour will be given away some of those tickets.
Speaker 3: A bunch of stories that we are following.
Speaker 2: The Senate has adopted a budget resolution this morning intended to serve as a blueprint trying to deliver the first part of President Trump's agenda. Senators did vote mostly along party lines, fifty two forty eight on this resolution marathon overnight voting session they called a devote a rama. In fact that the end, it turns out that Senator Ran Paul of Kentucky was the only Republican to vote against the measure. Three empty buses in central Israel exploded late last night what officials said was a suspected terrorist attack. Israeli military deployed three additional battalions to reinforce a week's long operation in the West Bank. No injuries were reported from those exploding buses and somebody. A driver was injured overnight when his vehicle was hit by a rock while driving through downtown La last night, right near the West Found ten southbound one ten. A rock or a stone or something like that crack through a windshield and hit this guy just before midnight.
Speaker 3: Had to go to the hospital.
Speaker 2: Another driver reported a similar incident on the northbound one ten, right near Adams Boulevard, but did not have to go to the hospital. Well, everybody's like, I'm sorry, not everybody. I was excited yesterday the spring training baseball got underway. But it got underway for the Dodgers in a pretty dangerous fashion. It was yesterday in the third inning the obstruction, Well boy, Bobby hitting the head, Oh my goodness, that ball goes.
Speaker 3: In the file territory.
Speaker 4: But a comebacker from Bush hit Bobby Millard and he is down and he'll be attended to right away.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, Tim re Everett and Rick Monday there this happened to the third inning. Michael Bush hit a one hundred and five mile an hour line drive that appeared to hit him on the right temple, right where the hat meets us.
Speaker 3: Knocked his hat off everything.
Speaker 2: He fell to the ground, but he fell onto his hands and knees as opposed to falling flat. The ball itself goes out into into foul territory. It's a fair ball because it hit him while he was in fair territory. But it's not like the Cubs we're going to, you know, try to take advantage of it. I don't even think Michael Bush when it hit the pitcher, When it hit Bobby Miller, I mean he was stunned because he would he didn't even have time to get out of the batter's box. Now Bobby Miller leaves the game, they say that he is in concussion protocol.
Speaker 3: Dave Roberts talked about it.
Speaker 7: It squared up pretty good. It was kind of the front side of the head and you can just see the distance that it traveled once it hit. There was some deflection, but it hit him pretty flush. From what I've gathered, he's going to be under a concussion protocol. He'll be. We'll keep an eye on tonight. I don't know what that means as far as going forward. Certainly it's somewhat of, you know, setback. We've got to make sure that he feels okay going forward.
Speaker 2: I think about the number of baseball games that are played not just by the Dodgers, but by all of Major League baseball and all of minor league baseball, all college, high school.
Speaker 3: I mean, this happens.
Speaker 2: It's probably more common than people realize that pitchers get hit by these balls coming off off of the bats pretty quickly.
Speaker 3: It's killed a couple before.
Speaker 2: About eighteen years ago, there was a minor league player, a guy named Michael Coolbaugh, the brother of a major league named Scott Coolbaugh, and it was July two thousand and seven. He was killed during the ninth inning of a game in a minor league game. The ball actually hit him in the neck while he was standing in the first base coaches box. There have been others like that. Ray Chapman was a batter who was hitting ahead by a pitch back in the twenties, I think it was, and he died a few hours later. And he's the only player in Major League Baseball to die directly from an injury that was received during a major league game. It's not out of the realm of possibility that Major League Baseball starts to take a look at requiring pitchers to wear helmets of some kind.
Speaker 3: They have experimented with.
Speaker 2: Cushioned caps, specifically four pitchers, where there's a lot of cushion that's added to the front of their baseball cap, and it looks a little bit strange, but it's a whole lot better than getting your forehead caved in. The other thing that was going on in yesterday's game at Camelback was the Major League Baseball automated ball and Strike system, like a robo umpire. It wasn't that there weren't human umpires on the field, because there were. It's that there is also a computerized ball and strike system at Camelback, and for every Dodgers game that they play at Camelback in spring training, this thing will be active. And what it does is it tracks every pitch. It tracks the location of the pitch, where it crosses the plate, if it crosses the plate, the height of the pitch. All of three d and a catcher, a pitcher, or the batter.
Speaker 3: Those are the only three players.
Speaker 2: They can all ask for a review of what the umpire called. So the umpire calls a ball, catcher thinks it's a strike, he taps his helmet and they go through a review if it's If he wins the challenge, they retain their challenge. They get two per game, two per team, two per game. They retain their challenge and they can challenge again later. And yesterday was the first time it was ever used. Some of the players have used it in the minor leagues. It's they've been trying it out in the minor leagues, but this is the first time that they're using it in the major leagues. And last night, I don't know if you saw the beginning of this game, but there was some fireworks going on. Canada did end up beating the United States, in the first ever Four Nations Faceoff Hockey tournament, which includes basically all star teams from the NHL that play for their respective home countries. Overtime goal from Connor McDavid sealed the three to two win for Canada at that arena in Boston.
Speaker 3: And this is the same game when they met in.
Speaker 2: The round robin, by the way, with the round robin portion of the tournament in Canada in Montreal, they had the three fights in the first nine seconds of the game. There was some fisticuffs, but nothing nothing to that degree last night, but it was still a pretty rock and international hockey game. And if you've never seen live hockey, you are absolutely missing out. Gary and Shannon Kfi am six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. There is a fight over what we're going to do with all of the leftover junk from our fires. Obviously, there's a lot of toxic material that burned in the Palisades and eaten fires, and now as we begin the process of cleaning up and basically scraping off those properties so that people can rebuild, there's a.
Speaker 3: Fight as to where it's going to go.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about it at the top of the hour, specifically about some of these different landfills and how you can fight against what they're trying to do in terms of where they're trying to put this stuff. The other story that we're going to talk about a little bit later is body weight versus weight weights. If you work out and you think to yourself, well, I can't go to the gym, or I don't have dumbbells or barbells at home or whatever, I'm just gonna do nothing, there is a discussion about whether or not doing something, even if you're just using body weight, if that's as helpful as using weight weights, is that right? Body weight versus weight Well, it doesn't matter, but we'll talk about that coming up at eleven twenty this morning. There was an anecdote in a New York Times cooking section. One of the editors said a relative had bought four bottles of cognac, not because they necessarily were going to drink four bottles of cognac, but they were afraid that the tariffs that were going to be imposed on imported goods would drive the price of cognac way up. And the New York Times decided that they were going to put out a poll about what kind of things people would need to get, what would they try to hoard, what would they try to stockpile before these proposed tariffs went up. I mean, obviously we've seen hoarding before. We saw it during COVID. People went after toilet paper for some reason, even though that was not it's not a symptom, and it didn't make a whole lot of sense as to why they would do it.
Speaker 3: But I stocked up on trash bags.
Speaker 7: I figured they had multiple usage, so it was a good thing to have.
Speaker 3: A lot of trash bags. That's one thing.
Speaker 1: Okay, gosh darn it, Gary, you asked the best questions for the talk back. All right, So what did I hoard during the pandemic? Yes, not toilet paper, not food, not soap, not sanitizers, not meat, nothing of that importance. And I'm sad, sham it's not here because I've always been her inherent drug information for it. I don't know, Infernado, I don't even know. That's because I'm stumb So what I sucked up with is a pound of weed.
Speaker 3: A pound of weed.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, in this case, people are talking about what they are trying to beat in terms of the rising prices and the most common thing. More than two hundred and fifty people responded to this question from the New York Times, and the most common product that people were going to stack up on stock up on was coffee. A woman down in San Diego said, the day after Columbia was threatened with tariffs, I went to Costco. I bought sixteen pounds of coffee, and she says she calls it her strategic coffee reserve. She said, I like looking at it. It makes me feel safe. Another one, a woman in Ohio, so she bought six pounds of coffee beans and all the vacuum containers to store it in. Somebody else in Brooklyn said that they are also buying minor figures Barista blend oat milk because it happens to be made in Canada as many premium oat milks are. Okay, speaking of maple syrup, the thirty people that responded, or there were thirty people that responded, said that they're stocking up on maple syrup direct from Canada, and the maple syrup people say, as long as you buy it in a glass container, you could store it on your shelf for years Olive oil.
Speaker 3: Is another one.
Speaker 2: People are concerned that there will be price increases on olive oil. So they've been getting some of the good stuff now, canned and dried beans, although not most of those come from the United States. We're probably one of the world's top dry bean producers. Everybody knows that. People saying avocados, they want to store avocados. The problem with that is storing avocados for a long time is difficult. You could put them in a you could put them in the fridge. You can buy them when their heart is a rock and put them in the fridge and I guess take them out, put them on the counter, let them warm up and ripen and things like that.
Speaker 3: But that's going to be a harder egg to order.
Speaker 2: And then they said pantry staples, things like dried beans, the legumes, flowers, rice grains, stuff like that, canned items like tomatoes, jarred foods, and a lot of them. Just people said they didn't know what to expect when it comes to these terrafs and how they're going to do it. But so is there anything because of the tariffs or was it during COVID stuff that you have hoarded or stockpiled. I mean stockpiled makes it sound more appetizing. Hoarded makes it sound like you have an issue and you're a moron, So we won't say hoarded stockpiled. Are there things that you stockpiled recently? Leave us a talk back on the iHeart app. Hit that little button and send us a message. Up next, this fight over what to do with our fire junk is heating up. Gary and Shannon will continue right after that. You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.