Speaker 1: The mysteries of the universe are found here on the Doctor Scully experience, a photo of a sort of theater of the mind, as we like to call it. Thirty two minutes after the hour, a very special guest during this particular hour, doctor David J. Tholan Co discover of an asteroid that you'll be hearing so much about the Egyptian war god known as nine nine two up office and also joining us is doctor Carl Hurrico, a man who served as a nation in the United States Air Force, a PhD of course in science and humanities, and also a man who had the opportunity to use the Hubble space telescope to photograph an interesting galaxy and quaisar. We continue. This is fascinating, gentlemen, Doctor Hurrico, your comment or question, I want to get you involved in the conversation. You and I will spend the second hour together, but please continue. I'm sure you're full of information and questions.
Speaker 2: Old I shuld tell him information about the size of the asteroid, its weight, and also what classification, because I noticed that you were given credit for organizing certain classification for asteroids, and so how would you classify it as well?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 4: How should I say this. I mean, the typical listener is probably not going to be familiar with the classifications on the scheme. We can broadly classify asteroids into two categories, one which we call the C class, which are the seed basically comes from the term carbonaceous. Like you know, we have a class of meteorites called carbonaceous chondrites, and so the seed comes from carbon. And then we also have S class which are and the S comes from silicon, the silicaceous type rocks and Apopus falls more towards the S end of the classification. Now there are a bunch of other classes of asteroids which you get into more detail, but the two most common classes are the c's and the s's and pops in this case, as I said, more in the S classification. So if you look at it spectrally, it doesn't reflect as much light at the ulture violet and blue end of the spectrum because of an absorption feature, and it reflects more light towards the red end of the spectrum. And then as you go into the infrared portion of the spectrum, you start getting absorption features due to minerals like pyroxene and olivine, and that ten to bring the reflectivity of the asteroid down as well. So it's got a very characteristic shape to the reflectant spectrum, which is why we would call it an S type, although there are subtypes. You know, you can get into all kinds of details if you want, what.
Speaker 1: Size would you guesstimate? This is so the listeners understand. I mean, this is not something like the Chilibin's object, which might have been sixty plus feet and cross doctor, what would be the best estimate of size of this, because that's important as we all know.
Speaker 4: I would put it right around three hundred meters, maybe a little less. I saw one smate of around two hundred and seventy meters. Again, it really depends on the reflectivity of the surface materials. We've measured the brightness pretty accurately, and I should also mention that apothesis very irregular, are you shaped? It can change its brightness by a factor of two as it rotates, indicating a somewhat elongated object.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a tumble.
Speaker 4: You start thinking in from of the size, you know, it's you know, which dimension do you want to measure? So three hundred meters is a good ballpark figure. And for those listeners who aren't familiar with the metric system, that's about three football fields in to end.
Speaker 1: Wow, And I put it in better perspective for the New York audience and the East Coast audience, it might be the height of the Empire State Building or of course the new building that replaced the Twin Towers, and of course that's a pretty massive object. You know what we're gonna do, gentlemen, We're gonna go to the callers, because they rule here on this book Cigular show always we go to line number one, Greg and Michigan. Greg, you're on with doctor Tholn and doctor Herrico.
Speaker 3: How you doing, doctor Skying and your distinguished guest, mister Positive Boom shack o waka.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: I've got to ask you, gentlemen. You know we've been around for billions and billions of years and there's you know, billions and trillions of explosions and debris happening. Why haven't we been hit with a meteorite or an asteroid that arguably you know, are destroyed the dinosaurs. Why haven't we been hit what I mean, billions and billions of explosions, nuclear vision, nuclear future are happening. Why haven't we been hit?
Speaker 1: Very interesting question there, because well, let the good doctors explain it. Whoever wants to take that one step up to the microphone in the theater of the mine, go right ahead, Jone.
Speaker 4: I would argue that we have been hit specifically by the one that wiped out the dinosaurs, and there have been other mass extinction events throughout history, you know, where seventy five percent of species will will die off, and I think you could probably associate many of those with asteroid hits as well. Although the Chisalub event sixty eight million years ago is by far the most famous because it was such a large object, about ten kilometers in size, the estimate producing a crater on the surface of the Earth close to two hundred kilometers in diameter, right off the tip of the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico, so half of that crater is underwater.
Speaker 1: Well, that's incredible, doctor, because the ken the things I'm reading here in your qualification and doctor Hurrico, it's estimated that the chi Salub impact, and I'm reading this ladies and gentlemen, had the equivalent energy of one hundred million megatons, which is, in simple terms, one hundred terotons. That's ridiculously off the chart. And if this particular asteroid you were the expert on it, a p office were to hit, it could have the equivalent energy of twelve hundred megatons, something far beyond any nuclear bomb that we've ever detonated. The so called Great Russians are Bamba that some say was upwards of maybe fifty to seventy five megatons. These things are very serious. But Greg, you're in Michigan, follow up with that, because pretty powerful stuff. The good doctor explained that we have been hit, and let's pray to Good God that we don't get anything even like a paphas. Look at the damage it could do. Greg your commentary as we.
Speaker 3: Close out, Oh fantastic show, have no response. Love you and everybody, go for your dreams.
Speaker 1: Hey sounds very positive out there. I love that, Doctor Horico. Let me get you involved in the conversation on this. I mean, obviously, impactors like this are few and far between, but what we're talking about here is something that the good doctor doctor Tholin is describing to us, is coming to us with some specificity. Your response or comment to doctor Tolin.
Speaker 2: Yes, I was wondering about the event that occurred in Siberia, the Tunguska event that occurred, Uh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, ideas.
Speaker 1: About that one, Yeah, that's an interesting one.
Speaker 4: Well, that object was a fair bit smaller than a pothus, an estimated size of about fifty meters roughly one fixed the size of apothus, and it was a very remote region of Siberia, so we aren't aware of any human fatalities involved. But the U and the object was sufficiently fragile that the explosion occurred in the atmosphere. It didn't actually make it all the way down to the surface of the Earth and produce a crater. So rather there was an atmospheric explosion that produced a shockwave that was detected by barometers, you know, pretty much all the way around the world. They could see the atmospheric shockwave, you know, circle of the Earth a couple of times from that event. If a pafuse were to hit, it be a much more significant event. However, just to you know, assuade some concern, please, we don't believe it would be an extinction level event. Our best estimates are for extinction level events to involve objects a kilometer or larger in size, So a POFUE isn't quite large enough to be an extinction level event. It's big enough to ruin your day, certainly, it calls a significant regional damage, but probably not enough to wipe out humanity.
Speaker 1: Yes, and I remember one of the university Yes, go ahead, sir, I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: I think it's all also worth pointing out that even though we've ruled out the impact for twenty twenty nine, it's worth pointing out that we've also ruled out impacts by Apophus for at least the next one hundred years. It's talk a while to do that. I mean, we ruled out the twenty twenty nine impact in about nine months after discovery, but amazing To rule out the twenty thirty six impact took seventeen years because of a very small effect known as the Arcossi effect, that we had to detect and measure in order to rule out the twenty thirty six impact. But once once we got that done, we're able to extrapolate at least one hundred years into the future, and we can rule out any impacts by Apofus for at least that long.
Speaker 1: That's very interesting. We're almost up against another break here, but I want to try to squeeze this one in. You probably know the gentleman Jay Milash at the University of Arizona. I've been using his impact calculator and everybody can go. I don't have the exact url, but I found that very interesting that doctor Milush had put out this calculator that if you take the size of an object and you extrapolate, you know, through the mathematics of that little thing, like an app you can find out just what the damage would be. Just look at the Moon, right, ladies and gentlemen, to see the impactors that have hit the Moon. You know some of the craters on the Moon that are sixty miles wide. Can you imagine the massive object that came to the lunar sky, not the atmosphere per se. But it's good what you just said. So again, we have about a minute. Clarify again, people should not be overly concerned at this point. I don't want to put words in your mouth the apothes encounter. How do you rate it? In simple terms? It's not a big thing about an impactor at this point in time.
Speaker 4: Correct, No reason for concern over apothus. There's more concern about objects that we had not yet discovered. That's why we're continuing to scan the skies looking for these things. You would agree that we.
Speaker 1: Got to take the break, doctor, and I'm sorry to cut people off here. That's the thing I always will apologize, even after I'm long gone on this particular planet, because, as we all know, in the space time continuing the clock rules more with the Doctor David J. Tholan Co discover of Apophus, an object headed toward the Earth in twenty twenty nine, and also our good friend doctor Carl Hurrico. We'll be right back here on the Doctor Sky Experience. We see your calls online two Frank and the Bronx and on line three Robert in Philadelphia one eight hundred eight four eight nine two two.
Speaker 3: Hi, I'm done, Ales.
Speaker 6: I worked on the software Frominum module when it landed on the Moon.
Speaker 7: You're listening to the Doctor Sky Experience.
Speaker 1: How fast time flies? Forty seven minutes after the hour, Doctor David J. Tholan Co discover of the Apofus asteroid and also our good friend, doctor Carl Urrico join us. Doctor Horrico and I will take the microphone together in our number two. In the meantime, let's go to line number three and welcome Robert in Philadelphia. Robert, good morning. You always have insightful questions. Please continue, all.
Speaker 7: Right, doctor Sky, as always enjoy the show, and I'm glad to be talking to you and your distinguished guests. I'd like to assure one of them that there is no limit to the misinformation that our mainstream media could put out. I'm not worried about it, because I'm pretty sure even they can politicized and asteroids. But my question is if I believe that our globular cluster, if you will, that sits between the arms, is going through the galactic plane at present, and I'm wondering if that will increase the amount of targets, the amount of interstellar objects coming in, and maybe even jar things up into globular clusters so that maybe things within that change their trajectory. I mean, I'm not trying to get all my calendar on you, but I'm wondering if they were like coinciding as far as the cycles.
Speaker 1: So interesting, Yes, go ahead, doctor, this is interesting. Nottor Thollen, I think that's more in your line of expertise.
Speaker 2: Maybe not, well, I will I will say this.
Speaker 4: We've had three interstellar objects discovered so far. That's statistics of small numbers, So I mean, how many are we missing? There may be interstellar objects flying through the Solar System that we haven't found. Uh, they're a little tricky to find. You know, we don't actually track every single moving object because we just don't have the telescope resources to do that. And I don't know if we've got the computational resources to to try and link them all together. And you know, because you get observations on different nights, you don't know if it's the same object a different object, so you have to run computer programs to see if if they have the same orbit. And uh, there's just thousands and thousands of these objects being discovered every night, especially now with the UBN telescope operating in Chile. So yeah, with statistics of small numbers, you know, it's possible that the rate of interstellar objects could increase. But I haven't really given a lot of thought, and I'm not too familiar with the globular cluster aspect of things. Uh, that's more outside my line of work. So I'm going to have to do some more research on that and more reading and find out what the prospects are for absolutely, doctor objects.
Speaker 1: No you say it, well, just like every medical doctor, we dig into specialties, and respectfully, I understand the question. But Robert, you got a final ability to give a comment or a question. And as the clock runs out here soon so I was thanking you for being part of the show.
Speaker 7: As always, I appreciate the refreshing honesty from your guest, doctor Sky, I really do. But one quick thing, how many more times would be would we have been hit by asteroids and whatnot if we didn't have Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus. And that's a.
Speaker 1: Very good question.
Speaker 7: You guys have a great night.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you, ro n Yeah, that's a good one, Doctor Tholin, that's really fascinating.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is a good question. I'm not sure anyone's actually done the simulations to try and answer that question. My guess is that it wouldn't affect things all that much, partly because the Earth is such a small object, and you know in space outer space is just so vast. Now, I'll make an exception for Jupiter because the gravity of Jupiter does cause objects in the main asteroid belt, especially those near mean motion resences, to pump up their eccentricities, and so yes, what used to be in a reasonably circular orbit around the Sun can have its orbit increasingly elliptical until it crosses the orbits of Mars and then the Earth, and that can certainly increase the impact probabilities. But I am not aware of any simulated you know, any kind of simulations you know with a socism that doesn't have it, to see how that would affect the impact rate.
Speaker 1: Got to ask you this before the show closes out. And if we haven't gotten to you, ladies and gentlemen on the phone line, like Frank and the Bronx, if time runs out, either stay on the line or give us a call back. Our number two continues where the open lines in the theater of the mind do continue. Of course, here's a question, and I know this would take a long time to answer, but give us your best summary. Planetary defense. We've heard about this, I know very little about this. I'd love to get somebody on the air who's responsible, if there is somebody in our own government for planetary defense. Your thoughts on this, doctor Tholon, about how to quote protect us, what can we do and what's being done?
Speaker 4: Tell us, well, the Planetary Defense Coornation Office at NASA is responsible for funding multiple sky surveys that are basically finding near objects. But they do a lot more than just fun sky surveys. There's a lot of theoretical work that is done on mitigation methods. You know, for example, if we find an object that's on a collision course, what can we do about it? And I think a lot depends on the actual size of the object, in how much advanced warning you have. You know, the bigger the object, the fewer techniques you'll have available to do something about it, and the sooner it would hit, the fewer options you have available. Because a lot of the techniques that have been discussed involve very weak forces, and so the more advanced warning you have, the more you can move an object with a very tiny force. One that's made the news is the so called gravity tractor, where you simply fly a spacecraft up near an asteroid and let the mutual gravitational pull between the asteroid and the spacecraft, and then you just fire your rocket engines and slowly pull the asteroid in one direction on That's an incredibly tiny force, But if you have one hundred years in which to do it. It doesn't take a very big force to change the area of an asteroid by enough to miss the Earth.
Speaker 1: So well, you're right about it, because there was something that happened many people don't know about the Dart mission, an impactor on the addamous dimorphos asteroid situation, and apparently doctor it either moved the little one or nudged it. So again, that was a microscopic size object. But the worst possible way, and not putting words in your mouth, would be the story that they've launched a gigantic starship type rocket with nuclear warheads and an object even the size of a pomfice. That may not be a good idea, why because of the residual left stuff coming off of it like a shotgun blast. Wouldn't that be one of the worst possibilities of pushing an asteroid or getting it away from hitting us?
Speaker 4: Your thoughts, Well, actually, there's been some science fiction stories along those lines. You know, you can have a big object and you can blow it up into a bunch of tiny pieces, and if you don't have enough time for the orbits to change by enough to miss the Earth, then all those tiny pieces are still going to hit the earth. They may not cause as much damage as a single impact would a lot of them. You know, the thing is, when you blow up an asteroid, the tendency is to get a whole bunch of small pieces and a relatively small number of big pieces. That's just the way these fractured mechanics work. And the small pieces, those will thankfully burn up in the atmosphere. You don't have to worry about those. It's the bigger pieces. You're going to have a whole bunch of bigger chunks coming down in different places. You're going to have, you know, potentially very widespread damaged, but not as powerful an impact because those individual chunks are smaller pieces of rock than you know, the original single asteroid. So yeah, there is that aspect to it.
Speaker 1: Well, doctor the Todd, the clock has run out here, but let me again thank you so much, and congratulations to you and your team on finding these objects, and particularly you'll be a very busy man, no doubt. As this countdown clock goes to a office April thirteenth, twenty twenty nine, an object that many say will be visible to the naked eye, albeit just a little bit faint in certain parts of the world, that's an unusual situation. But doctor, the most important thing I can and say, other than thank you, is that the hurricane La La passes you and the people in the island state of Hawaii without considerable damage. We understand that the millibar pressure just a little while ago was nine eighty five, which means it's not a super dense but don't let me put words in the mouth of the people who are suffering through this. So doctor, I want to thank you for joining us keep us abreast of this, and I look forward to hopefully having you back, if you would agree, as you continue to make these discoveries and collect the data on the p Office the Egyptian War.
Speaker 3: God.
Speaker 1: Thank you for your time, sir, appreciate you.
Speaker 2: I'd like to I'd like to take a bite to doctor Teller as well.
Speaker 1: Yes, please do, and your doctor you will be with us for the next hour, but please continue, go ahead, Doctor Rick.
Speaker 2: I just want to say it was a pleasure of being on the program with you, and I wish you luck in the future. And I know that you gave as much information in the way of being correct information as possible, and that's very rare nowadays unfortunately.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hear you well. Thank you both for being there and continuing on with Doctor Carl Hurco in hour two. We have a lot of things to discuss and with you the audience, and obviously since the clock has run out, if you would like, please either stay on the line or again call us back. And that goes out to Joaquin Online one in Pennsylvania and flynd two. Frank and the Bronx apologized that we couldn't get you on in this very quick and very very interesting hour here on the Doctor sky Experience a homewark assignment if you like one out there, ladies and gentlemen, if you like what you're hearing, go to this website, the skylive dot com, just the skylive dot com, and I'm sure you will be very impressed and learn everything you can. After the radio shows not on the air, you will learn so much about what's happening in the skies. Upophus is the Greek name of Apep, an enemy of the ancient Egyptian son god Raw. He was an uncreator an evil serpent that dwelled in the eternal darkness of the Duat. He continues to rule in the minds of the great mysticism of days gone by thirty two minutes after the hour appropriate to talk about that in correlation to the mean namesake of a puff us the asteroid. As we continue with doctor Carl Hurrico and you ladies and gentlemen out there, we appreciate it in our theater of the mind. Let's continue now to go to line number two and welcome Anthony. You've been patient in Long Island. Good morning, how are you doing today?
Speaker 3: Good morning?
Speaker 5: Thank you so much for this topic. I so enjoy it. I wanted to bring to the table the advent of artificial intelligence, quantum computing, and the ability to read black holes and perhaps send signals throughout the galaxy in ways like never before. I know that we ourselves organically cannot travel to outer space. I think it's a ruse to think that we will actually be able to get to Mars or Alpha Centoria where have you. In the physical sense, our organic bodies are not capable. But our consciousness and the ability to put this consciousness out into the universe. And could that not be our own consciousness coming back at us, like when they say there's aliens, perhaps are we not all like a radio receiver? Like each one of us, our minds, bodies, and souls are receiving signals that perhaps sent from long ago through the same black holes, and that's where we sit as the receptors of that. But what I was just getting at is that I do believe with this quantum computing, where we'll be be able to send signals far beyond our ability to comprehend, and in a way that perhaps we don't even realize the effect it will have as it's projected out into the universe, because there might be other beings or something else that will receive what we're sending like we receive now, you know, it would seem as though, well, yeah, thanks.
Speaker 1: So Anthony, it's amazing. You should write a sci fi book on this, because that interesting because you can't prove anything yet in science fiction, it has to be proven and put into practical application. Doctor, what Anthony's talking about, it's pretty fascinating stuff. What would be your take on that? It's interesting?
Speaker 2: Well, it's fascinating, but again I would put it right now into the category of being sci fi rather than nactual reality because to do something of that nature, he's a big jump in technology. And although the AI is really accelerating as time goes on, you might see something like that in the near future. Maybe I won't put there are other people that will be saying it in the future. So yes, I wouldn't make any kind of a sort of a claim or comment on something of that sort yet until we see the development of AI a little more so that we get a better idea to grasp on what things might be practicartically possible.
Speaker 1: Well, Anthony, you bring up something very interesting here. Look at it this way. From quantum computing, which we really don't understand. It's you know, total capability. But what if, like you might be proposing in a direct way, what if AI could you be utilized excuse me, to be able to understand how to warp space time. So, in other words, what you're saying about sending information out to these distant places in the universe, that would be just amazing if it could move backward and forward in time, as if it was some sort of celestial messenger. You get the last word, Anthony, bring up, you bring up some good stuff, Go ahead, please.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Well, well, I believe our yearning to travel throughout space, time and space, we can't do it in the physical sense, but we can do it by transferring our consciousness, and the whole universe is consciousness. Everything has a some sort of receptor that allows it to function and to live. You know, a spider builds a web and you didn't go to college to learn how to do it. So there is some sort of there is, There is an intelligence already among us. But I also know that all all life as we know it will self destruct before it reaches that apex of intellectual prowess to get to that perhaps place, so that the race is on with regard to our before we destroy ourselves to get to that that point of of And I think that's where we're headed. I mean, I no doubt that that all of this can't be a coincidental occurrence. There has to be a force of nature that has driven us to this, to this point of where we find ourselves. But like I say, I do believe the space program is a little bit dubious because I mean, those disastronauts that were up there got stuck up there for nine months before Musk was able to get a rocket up to bring them back. I mean, they're hell in a handbag. I mean they couldn't. I mean these people are. I mean, they're they're prone to cancers and sickness and and they're bodies just can't do it.
Speaker 4: So what else?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, here's one thing to me that, Yeah, we hardly give homework on this radio show or this as we talk about theater with the mind, but here's something maybe you want to investigate and maybe the listeners do. Our good relationship that I had with doctor Edgar Mitchell of Apolo fourteen. Unbeknownst to myself at the time when I met him and talked with him, he was the head of something called the Noetic Institute, and if you look up Noedic Institute, he was responsible over something called quantum hologram. And in the simplest way I can explain it because of the time element. Here he was saying in this very interesting way that everything in the universe is connected, as if you had like the spiderweb that you talked about, but it had different planes in there, different dimensional planes. So check that out, everybody listening, if you're fascinated what Anthony brought up, I think that's a good way to start, wouldn't you agree, Doctor Hurrico, that's pretty fascinating.
Speaker 2: Well, certainly we have to start from someplace, and absolutely a lot of the findings that come to fruition started in that way.
Speaker 1: Amazing. Let's continue with the callers here. We certainly appreciate everybody on line one. We go to Edgar in the Bronx. You've been patient. Good morning. How are you on this early Sunday.
Speaker 6: I'm fine, Thank you. Doctor. I just want to get your take, you and your guests take on the frequency of earthquakes and the severity of them these last several months. It's like there's an earthquake every week, almost yes.
Speaker 3: And.
Speaker 6: They're like on the Richter scale going up to seven seven point something, and he thoughts why this might be happening.
Speaker 1: Now, well, I'm going to give you my well not expert a guess on this. But here's something. If you stay tuned next Saturday night into Sunday morning, the next week's show, we do one on Friday midnight to two am Saturday, and then of course Saturday night into Sunday too am eastern daylight time. We'll have doctor Christine Gulay. She's responsible that the you know, as far as an we're going to get her. She's been a very hard person to get so she's going to be talking about the frequency of these earthquakes. But it's so interesting, some have said, and good doctor will comment that because of the activity of the Sun, and the Sun of course rules and produces all the weather, but changes in the Earth's orbit, changes in what's going on in the core of the Earth, this dynamo of liquid material. Who knows, but the ring of fire is really really going powerful. What would you say, doctor Rico on this? This is amazing because she'll be on from the USGS, the United States a geological survey, So stay tuned next week on that one, Edgar. But quickly your thought, doctor Hurrico, on the frequency of these.
Speaker 2: Earthquakes, Well, all parts of the Earth are connected. There's been categorized as being spheres. The biosphere, the hydrosphere, the atmosphere, the cryosphere. All these spheres interact and as a result, they influence and affect each other. And along with that you have the tectonic plates that are shifting back and forth, which causes the earthquakes.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 2: I would point my finger to the activity of those tectonic plates. Since the Earth is a dynamic kind of planet, all kinds of activities and processes going on in the interior of the Earth, which is also cooling to a certain extent. So all these things come into place, and I think you mentioned the thing involving the idea of the position of the Earth in orbit. Our orbit changes, our spinning changes, you know, rotation, our axis, axis of the Earth will change over times. So all these things come together and as a result influence what's occurring on Earth. So it's not only one kind of event that occurs, it's many, I think, all coming together.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, you're very good commentary questions and we'll have on doctor Christine Gulay. That's what we're expecting on our Saturday Midnight at two am Sunday next week, and she, of course is the expert in the room in the theater of the mind on that. But thank you for calling. We do appreciate your interest in the show. Let's go to line. I don't know what line it is, but let's go to Patrick in New York City. You're on the air on the Doctor Sky Experience.
Speaker 8: Good morning, Good morning, doctor Scott.
Speaker 6: Thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 8: Appreciate your show, very interesting and formative and you have very interesting guests, all from Manhattan.
Speaker 2: I have a two possible question.
Speaker 8: First one is how fast exactly all he's asteroids traveling, And second part is if a doomsday scenario were to actually occur. There's been some popular movies that dearize that we could possibly change the direct trajectory by using very powerful explosives or something.
Speaker 2: Is that a possibility.
Speaker 1: Well, let me jump on this one quickly because the clock is going to run out just before this as we go to the heartbreak Patrick. The interesting asteroidal speeds. You're talking hundreds of thousands of miles an hour, all dependent on the shape of the object, the size, and what the good doctor in the first hour, doctor Solden was trying to describe. I know, we didn't have enough time. There's something called the Yarkovsky effect. Now it sounds like something people make up, you know, in a room just to impress people. But what's the Yarkovsky effect. It says that because an asteroid is not a perfect sphere, you know, like a little ball bearing or a big ball bearing, the differential heating that you get on this shaped object, like if he took a potato and smashed it, you know, or a rock that you see outside the differential heating changes the motion of that asteroid. So in other words, if you predict that something's going to go straight, like if you shot a perfectly formed bullet out of a rifle and you get the velocity in feet per second or whatever, this is very interesting because it's not a round object and it has the capability of doing what it wants to do, and that could be very disastrous. Not to alarm people, that's an interesting thing. So asteroids moving at a speed well within say one hundred thousand miles an hour. It's all dependent on size. And I mentioned before that a gentleman who I knew, Maybe he's still there, doctor J. Milash at the University of Arizona. You may want to check. His name is J. M. Elosh. He has an asteroid impact calculator. So you go in this thing and you plug in the numbers and it'll tell you what kind of residual effect it would have that came in at a certain velocity. So Patrick, before we go to the break, I hope we answered you on that. Much more to come here on the Doctor Sky experience. Still time to get in on the conversation. One eight hundred and eighty four eight nine two two two as we get right back to doctor Carl Urico, we'll be right back.
Speaker 4: On an astromer at the University of Hawaii and one of the co discoverers of the asteroid Apothus. You're listening to the Doctor Sky Show.
Speaker 1: Forty seven minutes after the hour, we wrap up our number two saying to say, but we have many people that'd like to talk with you, doctor Hurrico. But before we do that, you never had an opportunity to explain. You were looking at this particular galaxy seventy seven million light years away, and in its field of view you obviously saw something that's called a quasar, which is even more fantastic. I mean, just to get time on that giant telescope is amazing. What was the purpose of viewing this galaxy and this object we called a quasar near it?
Speaker 2: Well, based on the Red Ship determination of distance, it was determined, as you mentioned before, that the galaxy is closer to us than the quasar and they could be no kind of chance of material connecting the two because of that distance. And what Alton Ark was saying, he was saying that in fact they are close together and the other astronomers are getting the long distance determination by using the red ship, and so he questioned using red shift. That was the idea of the whole project, and that's why I picked up on I wanted to use the telescope in order to see if I could determine or get some information regarding whether or not they were connected or not connected. And that's why it was called discordant red shift as a.
Speaker 6: Matter of fact.
Speaker 2: And the quasar, you know, a quasar, of course, is a galaxy that has a tremendous amount of energy coming out of the center because of a massive black hole. So it's really a galaxy, but it's one that has the energy coming out of its nucleus in any case, So the idea being I wanted to get information about whether or not they were connected.
Speaker 7: Well, let's do this.
Speaker 1: I'm going to take liberty on this one and go ahead the whole concept of red shift. So we can explain this to the listening audience. If an astronomer is looking through a telescope visually, you're not going to see this thing called so they take a thing called a spectroscope. I know you know this, doctor, the audience may not, and they'll take an image. It's like a little slit like a you know, a prism, let's say, and you'll get all these lines that are on there the chemical elements of what that particular object is made of. So the farther to the right, or the red shift as they call it, that this object is, it shows a greater speed of receding out into the universe.
Speaker 7: As you know.
Speaker 1: So if you had a blue shift, you would see objects moving towards you. So the red shift is something that maybe is not easily understood. But I gave it my best shot. How did I do? I hope I did good?
Speaker 2: Oh, very good. As a matter of fact, it is the idea of looking at spectral lines in a spectrum right through a spectroscope which is attached to a telescope, and as a result, those lines will shift away from the element that produces those lines in the first place. Correct, So they compare it to the original lines where nothing is moving towards us or away from us. Use that as a standard when they get light coming from various objects in space having their own spectrum of that show and in terms of those lines moving towards the red side or moving towards the blue side, and as a result, by that distance between the basic information in the spectrum you get from an element compared to what you're getting from the star. If you compare the distance, you can figure out the distance of the object you're looking at.
Speaker 1: Very well said, let's go to line number four. He's been patient, Alexi and queens a regular caller to the Doctor's Guy Experience. How are you doing, Alexi? Thanks for jumping in.
Speaker 9: Yes, yes, stuck the sky, and good evening for you and your skiffs. I've been listening to your show now for its entirety, and I am very surprised, right the calls and the various topics about inter dimensionality.
Speaker 3: Such.
Speaker 9: Various concerns.
Speaker 7: You know, we are, I have to say this Reel.
Speaker 9: We are in the infancy of our development mentally physically, we have another million years to go before we've become what is conventionally they're personal civilized. And meanwhile we are becoming ultimately so intoxicated and he's.
Speaker 4: Peculiar, and of those.
Speaker 9: Views of science and physics and such.
Speaker 4: We have gotten drug on it.
Speaker 7: And I fear for the worst.
Speaker 9: Because we are losing our perspective. As for the planet, Look, what do you want? You're on a globe that has been around for over four billion years. You're going to have all kinds of problems and all kinds of benefits. So you take it a day at the time, and all these bizarre speculations about the world with this in the world, with that, much of it is the.
Speaker 1: Positivity we're hopefully broadcasting here. No, I agree, Look at this doctor, you get the last word on this. Sorry, Alexi, we're kind of closing out the show here. We don't like to say that, but I wanted to get the good doctor to respond to you if he could. You hear him clearly. I just wanted to make sure you heard everything.
Speaker 3: He was saying.
Speaker 2: Yes, Yes, I heard him clearly.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 2: The idea being that as it's presented now, when information is given for some reason, it's given with a full background of sensationalism. That's what the problem is. And I suppose scientists requesting various grants for their research also have to sort of embellish what they're doing research on to a certain extent order to get the grants. That's how it's given usually. And so as far as our development, it's pretty hard to determine what our development is other than from oh, say, a guessing game science fiction to a certain extent, because we don't know how far we could go, because we haven't gone there yet, so we really don't know. We have to sort of predict to a certain extent based on how things are going now, otherwise we can't do it very well. Otherwise will before.
Speaker 1: You're in an infant stage. You're right, Alexi, Alexei, thank you for being part of the show. I always appreciate you and honest observations on there with the main goal of our show is to how do I say this to instill in it dav celebrity guests and of course stories of American exceptionalism, about truth, just us in the American way. And again I want to thank owner and operat it so many it could fill so many many hours here on the radio, Doctor Herrico tell us more. How can people get in touch with you? You obviously have a podcast. How do people get in touch with doctor Carl Heroico.
Speaker 2: Well, they can go on the Spotify or any other kind of a podcast platform like Speaker, s b R e A k e R and get into Carl's or karl Apostrophy s orbit and you'd get some of my past podcasts and information like that where I did have the opportunity to speak to various kinds of astrophysicists and scientists of that sort about various kinds of topics in cosmology and information about other areas of astronomy as well. So that's how you can get the information.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's amazing. It's an honor to have you. And as we open up our minds on all these different subjects, I wanted to end off the show. And if we haven't gotten to you, ladies and gentlemen, we do apologize. I know the popularity of our guests and we just say thank you for being patient and hopefully in our next iterations that we can get everybody on in what we call the theater of the Mind. But I want to give out a website that I've been very much. I'm not involved in it. It's not mine, but it's one that I consider if we were rating different websites in the night sky again, the skylive dot Com. It's done by a young student, I believe, a graduate student in Italy. But if you go to the skylive dot com, why am I telling you this is important? Because it has something for everyone you don't have to have an advanced degree in this. This is more for observational nostrum. Talking about that and hopefully with the people that run the still active Voyager mission. November eighteenth, the Voyager spacecraft will be now some sixteen billion miles away and in every day simple English, it's one light day away and it's still working, right Carl, that's incredible. And the stories we've had at the Gentleman to develop, yeah, it's amazing. And the golden record we've had the gentleman John Lomberg on here who work with Carl Sagan. Check it out, folks, the Skylive dot com something for everybody out there, which obviously gives us greater understanding of the wonders of the nighttime sky. Thank you, doctor Carl Hurrico, appreciate you, and also doctor David Tholan, hope he's doing well. And the good folks out on our island state out there in the Pacific Ocean. As this particular hurricane called La La the Hawaiian translation what it means in Earth language it means limb of a tree and that to find out. But the hurricane now I gather, Doctor Hurrico, thank you for joining us the Theater of the Mind.
Speaker 2: Thank you for inviting me.
Speaker 1: Check out sky A quick update on the nighttime sky. As everybody tells us. We find out that the percy of meteor shower is waning. We find out the Venus the brightest object in the northwest sky. Take a look at it if you have a tell