Speaker 1: Caloroga Shark Media. Hey there, I'm Johnny Mack with your daily comedy news. Take a minute here. We'll walk through the Oscars kind of slowly, kind of lower energy than my normal delivery. It's about nine to thirty on Sunday night. My body feels like it's later because I've been watching this thing for two and a half hours and taking a break here while the Knicks are in halftime. I also have the baseball game on. I have three things going on TV, so let's talk about the Oscars. And I really want to break down Conan's monologue from a comedy standpoint. My headline here at nine point thirty. Unless something goes sideways, you never know somebody might slap someone. What a well produced Oscars. I'm really really impressed by this broadcast. I'm a production snob among a comedy snob and a star trek snob and all the other things I snob. But this is really well produced.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: We start with a fun cold open Conan O'Brien dressed as Aunt Glass from Weapons. I'll stop there. I kept notes as the show went along, and I was wondering, have Normy's seen these movies and I'm not shading any of the movies. I just don't know if any of these cut through. I personally didn't know the Aunt Gladys reference. Maybe everyone else does. My wife came by. She didn't want to watch the Oscars because she didn't know any of the movies. My daughter, who's a theater kid and who performed off off Broadway earlier in the day, she wasn't watching because she didn't know the movies. So I thought that was interesting. Anyway, Coda comes out dresses Aunt Gladys from Weapons. He runs through various Oscar nominated scenes, and again, I wonder if your average American knew what they were referencing. There doesn't mean it's bad. It was still high energy and a lot of fun. Conan was dressed in an orange wig and halface makeup, just like the villain from Weapons. He goes on to invade a ping pong scene from Marty Supreme. I think that cut through to the mainstream interrupts the play from Hamnet. I think a lot of people don't even know what Hamnet is because of the weird name. Rode Shutgun with Benisio del Toreo on one battle after another. That's one of the few films I did see because it was streamed on Netflix question Mark. I became animated for a K pop demon Hunter is a bit okay fine, and then asked to be lett inside the Duke joint from Sinners. All Right, that one I think landed as well. A lot, a lot of fun. Okay, Let's break down the monologue here Conan, as I shared in the Facebook group Daily Comedy News Podcast Group, you want a professional hosting these things, and I think Conan nailed it. Now Here he jokes that he's going to be the last human host.
Speaker 3: I am Conan O'Brien, and I'm honored to be the last human host of the Academy Award.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, next year it's going to be a way mow in a tous so check that out.
Speaker 1: And I was surprised Conan got somewhat political. Maybe not by name, but he got the points in several times. Here's sort of a political joke.
Speaker 3: No, it's great to be back hosting the Oscars. Last year when I hosted Los Angeles was on fire, but this year everything's going great.
Speaker 1: Here at a minute five and was monolog he had a good Challa made joke.
Speaker 3: Security is extremely tight tonight. I just got to mention that, Yeah, I'm told there's concerns about attacks from both the opera and ballet communities.
Speaker 2: They're just magg you left out jazz.
Speaker 3: I should warn you tonight could get political, okay, and if that makes you uncomfortable, there's an alternate oscars being hosted by Kid Rock.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's at the Dave and Busters down the street.
Speaker 1: At that point I wrote down that Conan immediately had his fastball. Now last year it took him a minute to find it, but he came out throwing heat this week, and then he did get it political a few more times. This joke really didn't get much of a reaction.
Speaker 3: In Hamnett, William Shakespeare's wife Agnes gives birth by herself in the woods. Whereas we call that here in America affordable healthcare.
Speaker 2: Now you're real for you, huh?
Speaker 3: All Right?
Speaker 1: As we dive deeper into the art of a monologue, pay attention to the tag on this joke about F one F one.
Speaker 2: I loved F one a popcorn movie. It was great. F one is terrific. Yeah. F one is up for Best Picture.
Speaker 3: It's the story of a race car driver who finally wins after deciding to go faster.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: F one received four nominations. F one did so well, they're making a sequel, caps lock. Some of these I do for myself.
Speaker 1: This next one here, involving Rose Byrne, is what we call a joke.
Speaker 2: Joke.
Speaker 3: I was in a movie this year. Yeah, I was in a movie with the lovely Roseburn. My co star Rose byrn is nominated for Best Actress. And if I had legs, i'd kick you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's hard to act in a scene with someone you've always had a massive crush on.
Speaker 2: But Rose, you did a fantastic job.
Speaker 1: I don't want to spoil this next one, but I actually wrote down wow about this one.
Speaker 3: It's the first time since twenty twelve, first time since twenty twelve that there are no British actors nominated for Best Actor or Best Actress. Yeah, British spokesperson said, yeah, well at least we arrest our pedophiles.
Speaker 2: So you got that going.
Speaker 1: So Conan was following the basic and so and so was here, Like I don't know if it was me and Mike Chisholm from the Letterman podcast was there, I'd be like you know, Mike for the Letterman podcast is here, and then I'd say something about him being Canadian or something basic. And that was what Conan was doing as he was checking and driving.
Speaker 2: Leonardo DiCaprio was here, sir, good to see you. I about you.
Speaker 3: He's the star of so many movies and the king of memes.
Speaker 2: He's the king of memes. This guy.
Speaker 3: Let's make a new meme with Leo right now. That feeling when you didn't agree to this, they'll pull that up in editing.
Speaker 2: Live.
Speaker 1: Here is a good example of the comedy rule of three. This is not the most hilarious joke. It's pretty basic, but it's the one two three rule of comedy.
Speaker 3: Tonight's oscars are being watched by more than a billion people around the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's let's say hi to some of them. If you're watching from Spain, Oh.
Speaker 3: That's so, I corner Brians. If you're seeing us in Argentina, Ola, so I called Rabrian. Yes, from and to our friends in Los Angeles, Ola, so.
Speaker 2: I called Lebrian.
Speaker 1: And then Conan did get pretty serious for about a minute. Let's let this rule.
Speaker 3: If I can be serious for just a moment, everyone watching right now around the world is all too aware that these are very chaotic, frightening times. Okay, it's at moments like these that I believe that the Oscars are particularly resonant.
Speaker 2: Check it out.
Speaker 3: Thirty one countries across six continents are represented this evening, and every film, every film, yeah, every film we salute, is the product of thousands of people speaking different languages, working hard to make something of beauty. We pay tribute tonight, not just a film, but to the ideals of global artistry, collaboration, patience, resilience, and that rarest of qualities today, optimism.
Speaker 2: So let us please celebrate. Let us celebrate.
Speaker 3: Let us celebrate not because we think all as well, but because we work and hope for better in the days ahead.
Speaker 1: You're announcer Matt Berry. They said he was doing it from London. I shot a note to a friend who's a broadcaster and I'm like, remember, we used to have to like order specific phone lines three weeks in advance, and now we're like just cowboying. The Oscars. Announcer sitting at a booth in London, and the Oscars are in la So that's eight time zones. So no matter how good your tick. The speed of light is still a thing. If you do a broadcast from LA to London, there is a delay. There's nothing you can do about that. I don't care how good your tech is. So I'm impressed they did that. So Matt Berry just I don't know. He was like, sure, I'll do it, but I'm not going to LA for that. I mean kind of fascinating, but anyway, let's listen to Matt Berry with his wonderful pronunciations. The set up here as Conan is fantasizing about winning an Academy Award. The nominees for Best Achievement ah Antonio Bendadras.
Speaker 2: Then he's done with the Benzel Washington, Clenn Close.
Speaker 1: And Conan O'Brian handel. Winner is Conan O'Brian. We come back from the first break. Conan had a couple more jokes.
Speaker 3: Welcome back, We're coming to you live from that has a small penis theater.
Speaker 2: Let's see him put his name in front of that.
Speaker 1: I was really happy watching the non stars win, like the animators of the costume people like I just let them have their moment. I hate when they play people off. Look, what are we racing to get to the eleven o'clock news, who gears Just let it roll, you know, within reason. If somebody goes ridiculously long, okay, play them off, but let people have their moment. Conan then starts to disappear. That's not a dig at him. You see that on almost every award show that you get a lot of the host upfront and then they kind of disappear and occasionally just show in to move the show along. And if you listen to Saturday's podcast, Conan had talked about how that is the role onto the Rob Reiner tribute. I'm not crying, you're crying. Wow, I'm getting choked up right now thinking about it. Billy Crystal nailed that. Now I wanted to pull the audio. I have a program called audio Hijack, which we'll record all the out on in your computer. I was watching on the Big TV and then I had YouTube TV playing on the laptop. But I was just hijacking the audio, as they say, and I went to pull the Billy Crystal and I saw that, oh, too many of my children logged into dad's YouTube TV account and mine got kicked off for the too many screens. So I don't have the christ the audio, but it's fantastic. Around nine pm, Conan did a bit about reaching the younger audience. I thought it was okay. My daughter, unprompted, texted me and said that she really really liked that bit, so it worked touchdown for Conan. There, Jimmy Kimmel shows up around nine to fifteen. Let's listen to Jimmy. I did edit this clip for pacing Jimmy.
Speaker 4: Kimmel and Welcome to the ninety eighth Annual Academy Awards.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, am I not hosting the show? Well, this is embarrassing.
Speaker 4: Actually, Conan went outside to get some mayor inadvertently exposed his face to the sun and was incinerated. So I will be finishing out the rest of the program. I am here to present the Oscars for Documentary Films. We hear a lot about courage at shows like this, but telling a story that could get you killed for telling it is real courage. As you know, there are some countries whose leaders don't support free speech. I'm not at liberty to say wit, let's just leave it at North Korea and CBS.
Speaker 1: Fortunately, so whatever happens in the second half of the Oscars we'll talk about that on Tuesday's podcast. Now, while we're here, I was online all night, you know, I'm in the Facebook group, I'm on Twitter. I'm just saying what's happening in the news. I just saw this one come in. I'm reading this cold. Bert Kreischer said his tour bus went up in flames on I ninety four between tour stops on Sunday. Bert shared a photo of the burnt bus. He said after the fire, we're all counting our blessings today. In an Instagram Stories post, he said, we would have all been on at asleep, we would have been dead. Bert told people his team avoided being on the bus at the time of the fire because around midnight after a show in North Dakota, the tour buses front right tire blew out on nine ninety four. Bert said, it was a fluke accident. We hit nothing and it was a no fault of the driver. We waited outside for a couple hours. They decided to leave the bus on the highway and split into the other two crew buses. The bus that caught fire waited fixing around eleven am on Sunday. The bus driver who stayed behind heard a pop come from the roof. Within a matter of seconds, the bus was filled with smoke. The driver exited the bus. The driver's okay. The bus went up in flames. That's all really weird. I'm glad everyone's okay. Bert said he and his team lost many belongings in the fire, including their clothing and other things they had left behind. In another insta post, Bert posed outside of Dick's Sporting Goods where they went to buy new clothes, and he captioned it my current and only outfit. He told people, me, the other comedians, my assistant, my trainer are all very lucky. The Lord works in mysterious ways. As annoyed as we were to blow out a tire on a highway and a snowstorm in the middle of nowhere, we're all counting our blessings today that we weren't on the bus when the fire broke out. I'm sure I litte more about that on Tuesday's pod SNL was really good. We'll talk about more on Tuesday was the best episode of the season. Marcelo Hernandez did his Sebastian manascalco. I'll break that apart. On Tuesday's episode, I'll so new cast member Jeremy Colhayne did an awesome sucker Carlson. We'll talk about that. And I continue to feel that Keenan Thompson continues to be the glue on that show. And I was really impressed by Harry Styles. I sent to a couple friends. Some people are just stars. Harry was a great host, very comfortable hosting, obviously a great musical performer. Looks great. That guy's just a star. Okay, we'll take the break here. There is a second half of the podcast. I recorded it Friday afternoon for this very scenario of let me do the oscar's up top and then some other stuff after the break. I don't even remember what I was talking about. So come back after the break and there's something there. I'm just a little tired, and I gotta put the show together. Now, coming up at newon Eastern today, the results of Comedy Survivor. Can't Wait. Check back on the feed. Then Stephen Colbert Tonight on his program will mark the fifteenth anniversary of the Book of Mormon's Broadway debut. It's been more than fifteen years. I saw that in previews. Is that number right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Wikipedia said the Eugene O'Neill Theater on March twenty fourth, twenty eleven. Well, I saw it in previews and it was great. I've seen it a few times. Wonderful show if you've never seen it. Tonight, on Colbert's program, you'll welcome guests Trey Parker, Matt Stone, and Robert Lopez, the trio responsible for the music, lyrics and book. That's interesting that Trey and Matt are doing stuff they usually don't want to. Way back when the Book of Mormon was launching, we had Trey and Matt up to celebrate the musical at Sirius. I forget exactly what we did, but I do remember that Trey and Matt did not want to engage with anyone. I would not describe them as friendly. Also on Colbert Tonight, Andrew Reynolds and Josh Gadd, the original leads in the show. Those are the guys that I saw way back when. Apparently in twenty eleven, the Lighted Show will also host a performance by the current Broadway cast of the Book of Mormon. It is currently the tenth longest running show on Broadway and the longest running show in the one hundred year history of the Eugene O'Neil Theater, nine time Tony Award winner. The Book of Mormon follows a mismatched pair of Mormon sent on a mission to a place that's about as far from Salt Lake City as you can get. Uganda Wece caught up with Pete Holmes. I feel like there's been a Pete Holmes renaissance. I definitely have gotten a lot of nice words about and thank you Pete Holmes for coming on this program two weeks ago, and I am reminded Pete's special hasn't even hit YouTube yet. I spent the ten bucks to watch it, so I think we're going to continue to see a Pete Holmes renaissance. Vice asked Pete Holmes have comedy crowds changed since Pete Holmes first started? Now, I not a performer, would have said yes, but Pete Holmes says not one bit. Johnny Mack finds that surprising. Pete says, I think audiences have gotten more sophisticated and never broader understanding of comedy, which of course helps immensely. The one change I've noticed is people think the comedian wants to talk to the crowd. So yeah, Pete, they have changed. That's what I would have said. That's because of Instagram. Everybody posts their crowd work clips because they don't want to post material. I get it, but it's making people shout out more. That's fine, But I always think my act is better than me just asking one guy what he does for a living. Weiss was curious about would there be a Crashing movie m HBO bring Crashing back to wrap things up. Pete said, no. I love the way Crashing ended. If Pete the character went on to find success, which is where it probably would have gone, it wouldn't be crashing, it would be flourishing. And I think the struggle of years are the funniest and most interesting. No one wants to see Pete get a bid dat in an espresso machine. We want to see him. Good question here for Pete Holmes. Between the TBS show, on the podcast, You've interviewed a lot of different people. Does anyone stand out? His answer, Interviewing Conan O'Brien on both was the dream come true. Conan was and is such a kind and good hearted champion of younger comics, and interviewing him instead of the other way around was a delight and slightly terrifying. Comedy Gives Back is the nonprofit working to provide a safety net for the comedy community. They have set the lineup for Alt Comedy All Stars twenty twenty six that has a benefit show to be the mantabamb Theater in Los Angeles on April twenty second. Your lineup Bob Odenkirk, Star trek Ruiner, Patton Oswald, Mary Lynn, Rice Cup you remember her from twenty four and more. In the press release, Star trek Ruiner Patton Oswald called stand Up this weird, wonderful path where each generation learns from the ones who came before. You grind it out in the clubs, you bomb, you get better, and somewhere along the way, community forms events like All Comedy All Stars. A minus that we're all part of the same ecosystem and supporting Comedy Gives Back means helping that ecosystem survive. Bob Bonenkirk said it, as a proud member of the comedy community, I want to support comedians in need. Mary Lynn gave a quote two Comedy Gives Back does incredible work supporting comedians when they need it most time. Proud to lend my Voice, et cetera, et cetera. South By Southwest Comedy hung a Monday. That's rare for a festival to go through the weekend and hang the extra day Creak in the Cave. Six o'clock south By Southwest Comedy presents unsponsored apparently Dylan Carlino, Freddie Chanell, Tone Bell, Vanessa Gonzales and Jake Cornell eight fifteen Creaking the Cave. The Dropout Improv does a pretty flower interesting title. I'll click, We're told Kurt Maloney, Jacob Osaki, Vick Michaels, Oscar Montoya and Scott Pasarella from Dropout TV take on long form improv in this special live show. And there's a warning. Folks, Please note that the programming descriptions are generation by participants and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of south By Southwest. All right, relax, let me know what everybody found offensive in that show description. Geeze eight o'clock at Estra's Folly's It's Chaos with Chelsea Pretti, Natasha Lazio and Sabrina Jaelly's drop Out as another show at nine, this one called crowd Control at the Creek in the Cave. In this one, the audience is the main material, okay. And then if you're up late at eleven, the Creek in the Cave has another south by. Southwest Comedy presents an unsponsored show again. Gavin Mattz, Casey Bousche and Alex English are your performers. And that is your comedy news for today. All right, come back newon Eastern Comedy Survivor we'll find out who was voted off Comedy Island seeing a couple hours