Speaker 1: Today on the show, our focus is on the state of education in India. We look at the demolition threat hanging over Muhammad Ali Jahord University in Rampur and why students say it puts their education and future at risk. We also turned to Utra Khand where two university examinations have been canceled. But first we talk about a major reason why India's education system is failing the youth of the country. Hi, I'm Atchasharma and you're listening to three things the Indian Express New Show. For over a month now, protesters from across the country have gathered under the banner of the Cokro Junta party demanding the resignation of Education Minister Thramindri Pradhan. The trigger, as most of you may remember, was a leaked neat Yuji question paper. And this problem, of course, is not new. Over the past debas, more than one hundred and fifty competitive exams in India have seen leaks, and an Indian Express investigation found that are forty five major leak cases over two decades, only two ended in conviction. In fact, two accused in one of those cases are now sitting MLAs in Uttar Pradesh. Now When it comes to the problems concerning India's education, one issue that stands out is funding, especially how much of the Union budget actually goes to education. So in this segment we'll be discussing what this means for the protests and what it says about the government's priority is going forward. And for this we are joined by the Indian Expresses Udit Misha, who reported on this data for the paper other than your latest piece. You compare education's share of the Union budget rather than the absolute amount allocated to it, So can you tell us why is that distinction so important?
Speaker 2: So my purpose was to look at the share, because it tells you the priority is where is the stress that the government is putting. Does it want to put more emphasis on education or does it want to promote more roads, more health? What is it trying to do? That is why we are looking at the share, because share is out of the same hundred percent, right, the same regardless of how much nominally you spend, it's the same one hundred percent out of which you are trying to figure out what is the share of a particular department, And that over time tells you whether the government is emphasizing that expenditure on that particular.
Speaker 3: Department or de emphasizing it.
Speaker 2: And that is where I've looked at data for education, health, and roads and highways, just to illustrate the broader trend.
Speaker 1: Right, and you've looked at longitudinal data that is over the past decade. So what does the data actually tell us? How has education's share of the budget changed?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, I mean we have found that typically a criticism of Indian budgets has been that Indian governments have not spent as much of the budget on.
Speaker 3: Education and health.
Speaker 2: You know, Academics have often said that we should be spending you know, a much larger amount of the total budget on health and education because we are a large population and we are a developing country and we need to invest in our people. Now, what the data is showing is that over the last twelve years, say, the share of education department in the total budget has fallen from four point six percent, which is to say that out of every one hundred rupees that a government spent twelve years ago four rupees sixty per hours spent towards education, that amount has fallen to two point five percent, which is to say, of every one hundred rupees that a government spends today, only two point two rupees fifty p s I is.
Speaker 3: Spent towards education.
Speaker 2: So what we find is that the emphasis on education over every one hundred rupees that the government spends has come down. And for health, we find that this number is largely stagnant. It has remained at around two rupees for a three hundred rupeces that the government spends for roads and highways, which is a very stark case, it has gone up from less than two rupees or two percent one point eight percent roughly to five point eight percent now in twelve years, which is to say that it has troubled. So the government spending three times more relatively on making roads and highways. And now this tallies very well with the notion or the understanding that this government has had where it has tried to focus on physical infrastructure, that creating more physical infrastructure, which is also needed in India, will create jobs, which it will also boost the productive capacity. More roads means more commerce can happen and can happen at a cheaper price. But it seems like the increased expenditure on roads and highways seems to have come at the cost of things like education and health, health staying stagnant in terms of the share, and education actually getting reduced well almost half in terms.
Speaker 3: Of the share that it had in the overall expenditure.
Speaker 1: Okay, so education share of the budget has fallen, But on ground, why should a student care? What does that actually mean for them?
Speaker 2: So, you know, often enough you would have heard that governments often say that they don't have enough money to perhaps provide certain services, like in India, many citizens would say that we don't have better health care better say public transport, or public housing or education. And the source of all of that is that governments don't have the money now in any developing economy, especially with the you know, when we are living in a neighborhood where we are also having defense issues with our neighbors, there are all kinds of competing demands for the government. You know, it has to figure out how much to spend on say defense, and how much to spend on education versus how much to spend on healthcare. But money is very central to whether the governments can provide any service or not. Can you have good public health care system where government can provide you cheap, reliable health care. It will depend essentially on the money that it allocates. If that money is getting reduced in relative terms and more is being spent on other things, then citizens cannot really expect that they would get better health care or better education. Public education will get undermined, and this will reflect in things like fewer schools, fewer teachers or less motivated teachers, fewer libraries or less well stocked libraries.
Speaker 3: So this is the.
Speaker 2: Reason why readers or listeners should care of how much money is being spent on education or health.
Speaker 1: I know that the example you gave if roads have received a much larger share of the budget, is that necessarily a bad thing, because the government could argue that infrastructure ultimately creates jobs and generates the resources needed to invest in education later.
Speaker 2: So there is no one way to understand this, but it is important to note that, first of all, whether you spend more on roads or on education does have an impact on the number of schools you make and the salaries you pay, or the facilities you provide, or the curriculum, all kinds of investments that come specific to education.
Speaker 3: The other thing is that you can go up round about and.
Speaker 2: Say that more roads will create more jobs but creating more jobs might require more skilled people. If you do not have well educated skilled people, there is a chance that the person making the road may actually employ a machine. Right, So just spending more money to make more roads may not necessarily have a straightaway.
Speaker 3: Impact the way you imagine.
Speaker 2: It is also important that you can make a highway and you can make a rural road. And you may find that highways can be made through highly mechanized ways. You know, big machines can make highways, whereas maybe smaller rural roads might require more human labor. So even for creation of job, you know, you could choose to spend money in a way which creates more roads but less job or more jobs and you know, smaller roads. So this holy issue gets more nuanced. But broadly speaking, spending less on education for a country like India, which is the most populous country on the planet, as well as one which is one of the youngest and which has a population that needs education and high quality education to be part of a economy which is, you know, buffeted by technological change, we need to empower our citizens and young people to be part of that story, of that growth story. If we do not spend that money. There is a very good chance that those who are making roads or other goods in the economy may choose more capital solutions, more machines than human beings, and that will create a problem for us.
Speaker 1: But also does spending more money automatically lead to a better education system.
Speaker 2: So on the whole one could say that, yes, spending more would help matters. It's maybe necessary, but not a sufficient condition. Let me put it that way. As we've seen in many instances where roads have sunk, new roads that were built have sunk, new highways have sunk, or bridges have collapsed. You can spend a lot of money, but if you've not taken care of how you make it, the quality, and if there is corruption behind it, those things may not actually survive. And you may have spent a lot of money and still not end up with a all whether road or a good quality road. It's the same for education also, if your curriculum is not good, if you have not put other things in order, Like say, you may spend a lot of money making schools, but you may not be spending enough money on curriculum or giving fee to the salaries for your teachers if they are not motivated. If the conditions are not good, then that can create suboptimal outcomes. So, as I said, spending more money is the first stop. There is no necessary guarantee that it would necessarily mean better outcomes, but more often than not, it typically aligns with better outcomes, just like having a higher GDP or a higher GDP growth is overall more aligned with more prosperity in the country.
Speaker 1: I know that the unders we're seeing now addressing the repeated exam leaks or shortage of faculty, can those be linked to lower public investment too? Or are those separate issues altogether?
Speaker 2: At the heart of the whole point with money is that you know, can you get better outcomes by using money? Can you attract the best talent right at all stages? Can you have the best equipment? Can you really fund your agencies because ultimately somebody or the other is going to do that work, so can you get the best people for the job. While government spends, they have to compete in a marketplace where private sector is also there. So it's also about attracting best talent. So it might be very difficult to conclusively say whether more money necessarily helps or doesn't, But more money is necessary for all the other things to fall in line. If you are not going to spend as much and progressively as the data is showing, starve a department like education or funds not spend as much. Like your total budget might be going up by ten percent and year on year and education might be going up only by five percent. You are effectively dragging your feet on that issue and it will create problems, It will hold back from improvements. So that is the point to be made right now.
Speaker 1: Another thing that you highlighted earlier was that the governments often argue that the focus today is shifting from education to skills. So does the budget data support that claim?
Speaker 2: Yes, So, I mean it's fairly sobering the data. I've put it in the piece. Also, if you look at the Ministry of Skill Development, which was carved out as a separate ministry in twenty fifteen sixteen because of a very well recognized need that our education is different from the skilling needs that we have and often there is too much emphasis on higher education and then producing some class of people who are perhaps not as employable in the private sector, so because they lack the skills. So a new department was made a Ministry of Skill Development. But if you look at the budget allocation to Ministry of Skill Development as again as a percentage of the total allocation, those numbers are abissimally low. It started off with something like zero point zero five or six percent of the total budget, which is to say that up to a first decimal digit it is zero and it has largely stayed in that range. Even in the last and which ended in March, the total expenditure as a share of on total expenditure on skill development as a percentage of the total.
Speaker 3: Budget was zero point zero five.
Speaker 2: So it is abessimally low if we really are serious about skilling India's youth and making them capable and employable and part of a India growth story.
Speaker 3: So then data is fairly.
Speaker 2: Damning that you know, it is not actually aligned with the aspirations that people might have or the overall recognition that everybody has that India has to empower, educate and scale its people for the growth to really give good results. It's no point growing at seven or eight percent if your economy is not creating good quality jobs and people are not able to take part in it.
Speaker 1: I know that we often see debates about how countries like Finland or close of home China have transformed themselves through education. So how does India's public space compare internationally and also how does this budget debate fit into the broader landscape of the ongoing protests.
Speaker 2: So while the current protests happening in jun Monther might have been triggered by the leaks in the NEAT exams and other examinations, there is now a greater call for overhauling India's education and taking a closer.
Speaker 3: Look at it.
Speaker 2: And it is true that India never spent as much as it was supposed to on education. Academics across over time have said that, you know, India should be spending more. Even the education policies that have come out over time have demanded higher shares of public spending on education. And as we've shown in this data, instead of going up, it has actually come down in very significant ways. The important thing to understand is that we can compare India's numbers internationally, but it is important to understand that India is not exactly comparable with every international country. For example, if you were to look at say Japan or a Germany and compare it with India. Those are economies of comparable GDP, you know, overall economic output, but might have much I mean, they have much smaller populations, fewer kids to educate, and might have a very different structure of their economy. So how we spend our money and how much we spend has to be determined by the number of people we have and what are we trying to educate them for. You know, what are we trying to skill them for? So it has to be a more holistic approach instead of just looking at just an amount of money. While it should be clear that we should be increasing our public spending on education, there should not be a one to one correlation between what other countries are doing because we are in a different stage of our development. We have far more kids in our economy, much younger population, much larger, younger popular and also the shape and structure of our economy. What are we trying to skill them for. So all those things have to be kept in mind when you're deciding something like this.
Speaker 1: And next we turn to a story from Uttar Pradesh where the future of thousands of students hangs in the balance. Students of the Muhammad Ali Jahor University in Rampur have been staging an indefinite sit in protest outside the campus after the Ramput Development Authority ordered the demolition of thirty eight university buildings. The students say the move puts not just their education but also their future and careers at risk and are demanding that the order be withdrawn. The demolition order has also drawn criticism because it is the only university in the Muslim majority district of Rampur. To understand what led to this demolition order and what it means for the students, my colleague Aharakan Nanda speaks to the Indian Expresses, Malchi said, who has been reporting on this for.
Speaker 4: The paper malt, can you first tell us a bit about the Mohammad Ali Johori University. What kind of significance does it hold for the people of the region.
Speaker 5: See, this university was basically established by an act in two thousand and five. It was during Mulayan Singh led Samajuwadhi Party gument Nuta Padesha at that point of time, but before the university could actually start establishing or creating infrastructure. In two thousand and seven, again the elections were their NBSP government came to par so this university kind of went into the back burner. But the establishment of the campus and everything is started when in twenty twelve Samajwadi Party government again came to par and A Clasia became the Chief Minister, so the rest of the developments and everything is started. At that point of time, the university becomes significant because in Rampur per Se, which is a minor de dominated region, there's no other university beat private or the government. Recently, in Muradabad one university has been opened, but last year its campus is still under construction. So at that point of time and up till recently, there's no other university in Rampur as such. And even though this was a private university, but as the students say that they used to get a lot of consitions in admissions in this particular university, and especially they mentioned that it was significant for the girls student because usually the parents of the neighboring areas would not allow the girls to go too far off districts just to study. So even though they are colleges within Rampur who are affiliated to other universities, because there's no other university within the district as such, yeah, and tell.
Speaker 4: Us about the order. What did the rdsay regarding the demolition?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: See on June twenty eight. Recently, the Rampu Development Authority had given notice to the university to explain why they do not have the maps approved for thirty eight out of forty building of theirs. So these are different buildings. These include hostels, faculty blocks of the Islamic Studies, law study, law faculty, science, paramedics, different faculty blocks that are there, including a museum as well as a library. So the plea that the Rampu Development Authority had given while issuing the notice was that the university had taken approval for two maps out of forty buildings that were found on spot, but for rest thirty eight they could not find any map approval. So RID had given notice to the university for that, and then they had called the university representatives as well as the representatives of the trust which had formed the university. So in the plea, the trust officials had said that when the university was formed and when the construction of these buildings, because the officials say that most of these buildings were constructed before twenty sixteen. So the trust made a plea that when it was done, the construction was mostly last the major construction took place at that point of time. The RDA was not into what idea was into existence. Was this particular region did not come under the jurisdiction of RDA, so RDA has no authority to ask for a map. So RDA had called the university authorities again for a one to one meeting and they were given a chance for a personal hearing. But the pleas of the university were not found satisfactory, as the DA said, because they had taken at that point of time even before because urd this particular ada came into the jurisdiction of RDA in twenty twenty four. Even before that, the two buildings had taken permission from the Jilla Panchayad, which was the authority at that point of time, so they could have taken it for the rest of the buildings also from the same authority, which they did not. So, not finding the plea of the trust of satisfactory, the RDA finally decided to issue a demolition order, which was passed on July fifteenth, and they were given a twenty days time to respond. We actually asked to either demolish these buildings on their own or RDA would do it. And in case rd would do it, the university would have to be at the cost of the entire demolition.
Speaker 4: Right, and now we understand that the students of the university are sitting in protest against disorder, So tell us what are their demands.
Speaker 5: Yes, about three days after the notice, students sat on protest outside the gate's main gate of the university and they have been sitting on protests since then. These students have made differently the major really that the students are giving by demolished because these are huge infrastructure. They're saying, in case university did not follow the norms or something was lacking, it could be made to do so, it could be imposed. Fine, if some name has to be changed, it could be changed. But the major question remains why demolished. So that has been the major demand of the students that the university premises should not be demolished, because thirty ered buildings would mean that most of the university campus would be demolished, because the two remaining buildings remained to be one edmin and the other one being just the medical college. So rest all the faculty buildings, everything would be demolished. So the students are requesting that the demolition should not take place and if required, the required changes of fine could be imposed and or some have even requested that government could take over the university. But they have been making a request that it should not be demolished.
Speaker 4: Right and what kind of political reactions has this situation garnered? What has this Maajwadi party said about it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I see, initially there was not much of a response and even after the demolition noticed even the family members of the Splidasamka was the founder of the university, they were kind of looking into the legal option and everything. So it's only after three or four days major reactions started coming in. Just this Thursday, SPED delegation went to Rampurt to give a memorandum to the district magistrate and they have demanded that the university should not be demolished. They have challenged their order and the sp has been constantly calling it upical vendetta against Azam Khan as well as speed So Samaja. The party has largely been calling it a political vendetta and malshi.
Speaker 4: If these demolitions were to happen, what would it mean for the students, especially for the Muslim students who were studying at the university, and is there any immediate threat to the validity of their qualifications.
Speaker 5: See, there's no threat to the validity because the day the decision was taken, the district administration had put up a camp outside the university gates and the teachers of the different colleges government colleges in Rampur were put there as a counsellor's So they said that because most of the students came up with that kind of a query that the degrees that they had taken in the past, so would those be valid. So they continuously kept on saying that the decision would not affect those degrees and they kind of gave assurance to the students that for the future they'll be attached to the colleges. They were given about list of thirty colleges and they were told that they could choose any of these thirty colleges which are affiliated to the neighboring university, Jumbi Sure University which is in District Muradabad, So they could choose any one of those. These colleges are both government as well as the private colleges. So they have been given the option. And these teachers and the education officers said that because they have spoken to the university and the government has made arrangement and these students can actually go and enroll themselves in these colleges. But the students are saying that it's not easy because that would mean that they'll have to travel longer distance. And as I said that, the larger concern was among the girls student. They said that because this was right in the district and their parents allowed it and they're not sure whether they'll be allowed to go to far off colleges and especially in another district and even the colleges which are far off in Rampur. So that was the concern largely among the girls student. But the administration has constantly maintained that the validity of the degrees given in the past would not be affected as far.
Speaker 4: And has the university administration or authorities said anything about the situation yet.
Speaker 5: No, officially, they haven't responded as such, they haven't said anything officially to anybody as of arm and maulstream.
Speaker 4: Now what is the way forward for the university? What can we expect in the upcoming days?
Speaker 5: See the university still has an opportunity to make a plea and as I spoke to officials, they said that it has been issued by the vice chairman and they still have the opportunity to make an appeal with the chairman which is also the Divisional Commissioner Muradhabad or they could approach the court. So as I said that everybody is still looking into the legal options of the notices that have been served so far, They're still looking into it.
Speaker 1: And in the end we talk about yet another paper league. The Utra Khan Technical University has canceled two examinations after an external paper setter allegedly shared questions with students before one of the tests was conducted. As reported by the Indian expresses Eshwarieraj, the university received a complaint concerning the machine learning for Internet of Things examination. Inquiries conducted by both the university and the affiliated institution found that questions allegedly shared by the paper setter through an internal portal and a WhatsApp group were identical to those that later appeared in the examination. The matter affects students from twelve institutions affiliated with vir Madho Singh Bundari Utrakhan Technical University in Tehradun Now. The inquiry also raised concerns about another examination. Investigators found that the same faculty member had prepared the paper for electromagnetic field theory, which was also suspected to have been late. The university consequently canceled examinations in both subjects and said they would be conducted again in the third week of August. According to the director of Shwalik College of Engineering, the professor had allegedly circulated around fifty questions in a student's WhatsApp group. Those questions later appeared in the paper he had prepared. The complaint was received on eighth of July, following which the college constituted an inquiry committee. The committee submitted its findings on thirteenth of July, and the institution initially barred the faculty member from setting examination papers for three years. The university subsequently held him responsible for the alleged leak and debarred him from all examination related work for seven years. The college has also terminated his services, describing the alleged misconduct as a serious breach of trust and professional ethics. The university has separately worn the institution for failing to maintain adequate supervision and institutional control. This case comes against the backdrop of early examination controversiesin okrak Hunt. The state witness protests last year over an alleged leak involving a recruitment Examinationations that papers were sold to candidates in twenty twenty three pert Vardi, an accountant examination, had led to its cancelation. Those controversies had also prompted the state government to introduce legislation aimed at curbing cheating in public examinations. You were listening to Three Things by the Indian Express. Today's show was edited and mixed by Suraesh Pavar and produced by Niharikan Nanda and me Ichasharma. If you like the show, do subscribe to us wherever you get your podcast. You can also recommend it to someone you think may like it, with a friend or in your family. This is the best way for people to get to know about us. You can also tweet us at Express podcast or write to us at podcast at Indian Express dot com.