Speaker 1: Welcome to becoming the beautiful discovery, the courage to wake up. I'm Raina Bigham, Coach Queen Bee, and this is a space for anyone ready to reclaim their power, honor their truth, and rise from survival into self awakening. I spent many years living by everyone else's rules, invisible in my own life, until holding my newborn daughter changed everything. From that moment, I began to rewrite my story, but myself first and discover what freedom and beauty really mean. Here, along with doctor Pat, we explore courage, self care, and the messy, magnificent journey of awakening. Every scar can be a signature of strength, Every step can be a claim to your own life. This is your invitation to wake up, speak your truth, and become the beautiful discovery you always meant to be. Becoming the beautiful discovery starts now.
Speaker 2: Hey, everybody welcome. I'm doctor Pat Oh. We are going to have a blast today, myself and Queenie Bee coach Queeniebee, because this is right here, this one here is this is the conundrum I think for women. I can't talk about men. I really can't. I mean us women, we have our opinions about this for the men. But we and we and I have to talk about all that today. Well maybe we will a little bit, but here's the episode. Is self care selfish? Is self care selfish? That's really the question we want to talk about today because if you think about that and you look at in the world what that means, then you've got to really ask the question, why don't we just call it selfish instead of self care? Why don't we just like say, ugh, that's me, I'm selfish because I'm curus. Well, we don't because fundamentally we have to look at the aspect of what that means. And Branda, thank you for this talk of today. It's so super duper important, it really is. It's crazy because I've just been facing this myself and I cannot believe how insidious If I may ask, how this upbringing we call it upbringing? How the upbringing just hiss us sometimes? And then we're like, oh, maybe I shouldn't do that thing I love? But how about for you? Why'd you pick this one? Oh?
Speaker 3: Well, unfortunately, my uncle passed a few months ago, and I was I went to my family reunion this past weekend and I was talking to my cousin and I was, you know, letting her know that taking care of herself is a good thing, you know, especially during this time, you know, to be able to show up for others, she needs to make sure to take care of herself. And she goes, but isn't that selfish? And I went, WHOA, I see where you're coming from, because we have had so many things with society and just the way that we grow up saying that, Oh my god, even if you go take a bath, that's selfish, you know what I mean. And so I was like, no, that is not selfish. I mean, it's one thing if you're just leaving all day and just having your own fun, but it's important for you to take that time to go soak in that bath, or find a coloring book in color, or do your facial or go get your nails done. And it doesn't have to be an all the time thing, but it's very important to set a time, set aside time for yourself so you can rejuvenate, because if you don't, you can't show up for other people. Holy you will, you will come upty percent. Then you'll be bitchy. Then you'll be all like.
Speaker 4: Oh my good I don't want to do this.
Speaker 3: But if you're filling good within yourself and you're taking care of yourself, you will be able to show up for others. So it's very important for us to learn how to take care of ourselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's talk about why that is important. Because one of the things that my mom used to say this all the time, but you know, I never really put it into perspective, you know, and you know, she was a really good example of how she would do this. Okay, so this may seem a little corny or a little city silly, but you have to understand where Mama Dorus came from. She came from some slim picking beginnings girls, right, yeah, just some slim pickens. I'm not even going to go into how slim them pickens were. When you eat that chicken beek, I'm telling you, and them chicken claws, yes, that is slim pickens.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 2: She used to take herself to bingo. Good So we got this from her. M Now, my dad was a buster and every time she he would start on her about the bingo, she say, honey, you and not sleeping in this room tonight?
Speaker 4: Good by?
Speaker 2: I am up. But why am I bringing that up? Because She was a great role model for me. But somewhere along the way, I've gone through periods of my life where I felt I didn't deserve it. So talk about deserving if you don't mind.
Speaker 3: Right, I mean, And unfortunately this does stem from the way society puts things, the way our families have put things because of the way society has put things, you know. I mean, we're dealing with generations of people that have been ingrained that we've got to grind, grind, grind, hustle, hustle, hustle, and we're not allowed to take time for ourselves because it's about the bottom dollar and we got to help everybody else and we don't matter. And at the end of the day, we all deserve to take care of ourselves, you know. And it's unfortunate that we have this this thought process in our heads that, oh, if we want to go buy ourself a little gift, I don't know, coffee, you know. Oh my god, I can't believe you're spending money on yourself. You got to spend that on somebody else, or you got to pay your bills, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Andy, We could get into a whole rant on this I'm gonna tell you about this, sister right now. Queen you Bee, coach, Queenie Bee right in mind of ours. We may not say it out loud, but all of a sudden, somebody got somebody walks up to you and say, girlfriend, I thought you're starting a bit just the way my friends talk to me. Just to be clear, I'm not mimicking anybody. This is my friends. And you know, once I use this, I'll let you know what color to skin. My friends are folks. I remember I went to Plainfield High School. Okay, honey, you really gonna go do that? I said, Gwen, yes, ma'am, I'm going to go do that. You really think you know, you start the business, And I said, She asked what I'm going to do? She said, honey, you just passed the test. Now why why? Because she knows me and she knows that I could be easily persuaded not to go get my nails done right, or buy a T shirt or do whatever that is. But can we talk about the other side of this, because we have to talk about the point to burnout?
Speaker 4: Oh exactly.
Speaker 3: I mean that's one of the most important things for the self care. I mean, even when we go to work, we are continuously working.
Speaker 4: Towards whatever they want us to work towards.
Speaker 3: And we are I mean, even with me, you know, working another job throughout the day. They really expect for me to be able to do things outside of work while I'm not working and not get paid for it. And I'm like what, you know, And so I had to set a boundary going, yeah, no, I'm not working outside of work hours, you know, and I'm only going to do what is my job because if I do anything up and above, y'all are going to think that I'm going to do it all the time, you know. But we put so much emphasis on working and grinding that we at a certain point because we're not taking care of ourselves. We reach a point of burnout, which is where you are angry, you don't want to go to work anymore, you don't treat people with kindness because you feel so low vibrational, and you just feel tired, and then you start feeling sick, and then you get stressed, and then your emotions go crazy and then oh my god, and God forbid if we add other things in there for women that add on to that, that's just a whole other thing. I mean, because we're coming home, we're taking care of our kids or just cleaning house or taking care of the yard, or taking care of other people, and.
Speaker 4: We're not taking care of ourselves.
Speaker 3: And all of a sudden, we're like we've reached bottom and we're laying up in the bed sick because our bodies.
Speaker 4: Like nope, you're done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: So it's very important for us to take care of ourselves because that burnout doesn't help anybody. It doesn't help the company you're working for, it doesn't help your kids, it doesn't help your farm, it doesn't help.
Speaker 4: Nobody, you know.
Speaker 3: And when you're taken down, it will take you out until you start taking care of yourself.
Speaker 2: I love this, you know. I did a bunch of series of shows because you know, there were things that have come up in my family and my friend's family about taking care of the elderly right, and so what was so interesting about that I attracted about three or four hosts that talked about the self care behind the care and the numbers, the statistics. And I have a friend right now, I'm watching him and I watched him over a six eight month time deteriorate and he was not the one that had the issue. He didn't have dementia. His wife did. And I'm watching him now. The dude is in a wheelchair. I don't even know how to help, right, and the family couldn't see it coming. But there are multiple things that we can do for ourselves. And let's talk about that, because here's something I've been making a big thing about. I follow sports, and I don't know, I don't know what it is, but there's some divide that happens when you talk about women in sports versus men in sports. And you know, I'm following a player now that obviously is getting brutally targeted by teams players for whatever reason. And the referees are just here, no, we see no evil. They don't even smell nothing. They are just like ridiculous. And so what she does is really make a stink about it. You see. Let's talk about standing up for oneself if we could for a moment, as a version of self care, what do you take on that? How many times did you have to stand up for yourself? Causito, we don't include that in self care?
Speaker 3: Oh right, No, I mean there are so many and you don't have to stand up for yourself rudely.
Speaker 4: You can just you can just be.
Speaker 3: Very calm and collected and be like, you know what, that doesn't work for me, Thank you, I appreciate it.
Speaker 4: But no, it is okay to say no. No is part of self care.
Speaker 3: If you are not filling up to something, or if somebody's trying to make you do something.
Speaker 4: That you don't want to do, it's okay not to do it.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: And I'm just like, I mean, I recently had to like ask for an extra day off because I can't take care of myself, and I'm like, look for me to be able to show up for you, myself.
Speaker 4: And my family and others around me.
Speaker 3: I need to be able to have rest. Resting is a form of self care. You take a nap, there is nothing wrong with that. If you go to bed at seven o'clock, there is nothing wrong with that.
Speaker 4: And I get it. You're like, oh my god, I got things I gotta do.
Speaker 3: Those lists will always be there, one step at a time, do one, two, three things. If you only get three things done, pat yourself on the damn back, go get yourself an ice cream cone and watch TV for ten minutes. You know, self care doesn't have to be an all day thing. It can literally be ten minutes. You know, what are you gonna do for ten minutes for yourself? I can't tell you what makes you feel good. I know what makes me feel good going on walks. I mean, I sat outside this morning and a hummingbird came up and was like right here in my face, and.
Speaker 4: I was like, oh my god, hello, how are you?
Speaker 2: I know you're a see that's it man, But you know it's still hard. See. We have this thing that's called guilt and shame.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, that guilt and shame can really get to you, which is why it's important for you to understand who you are and why does that make you feel guilty?
Speaker 4: Why does that bring you shame?
Speaker 3: Is it actually something within you or is it something that's being projected onto you because you're worried about what other people.
Speaker 4: Are going to think.
Speaker 3: It doesn't matter what other people think, it honestly does not. You don't have to tell them a damn thing, do you boom?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 3: But I get it because I went through it, and I had to go through my process when I was going to college.
Speaker 4: I was trying to take care of my kids. I was trying to take care of the house.
Speaker 3: I was trying to take care of this, and at a certain point I couldn't. I couldn't, and I finally had to talk to the family and said, look, the house is going.
Speaker 4: To fall apart. It is going to look like it is lived in.
Speaker 3: It is not going to look perfect, and unless I help, this is what it is because I need to be able to focus on taking care of the kids and going to school. I still cook dinner, I still go grocery shopping, but I had to set a boundary for myself because I couldn't do it all.
Speaker 4: And it's okay to ask for help, and it's okay.
Speaker 3: To be like, oh, this is what I'm going to do, because if you don't, you will be the one ending up in a wheelchair or depressed or sad or and then people will be like, well, why is she depressed? I don't understand well, And then you get dis ease, which comes from sadness and burnout, and all of a sudden, you're creating diseases within yourself that you're like, oh my god, and this is your body going no.
Speaker 2: We can't do this.
Speaker 4: We have to take care of ourself. It is so important and it is. I don't know how many times I've just it's not selfish.
Speaker 2: You know, it's not selfish. So let's talk about what I call the generational pass down, the generational hand in of that the talk. I heard this. I heard this about a month ago. I was I don't know where I was standing, but I heard this. Maybe it was like a grocery store. I don't even know at this point, but it was like, you know, the young girl was saying, Mom, I'm going to go. I'm going over my friends to now house at tonight's house because we're going to do a little study and then we're going to go play soccer. She played competitive soccer. La la la. Mom turns around and says, honey, you spend a more time with your friends than you are with us. Yes, she is. She's a teenager. Hello, I don't know what you did when you were a teenager, But what's that about? And you know, this was only a snapshot in time. And I saw that. I saw the teenage girl and okay, I'm not saying I'm not and you all teenagers do this, if you listen, please don't do it. And I saw the young girl look at her mom and just pretty much with her eyes give her the finger.
Speaker 4: M m hm.
Speaker 2: You know she didn't do that, But she also didn't say, oh, mom, I'll stay home with you right now. I didn't hear the rest of the conversation, but clearly that kid is going to go out and what might she do. See, this is the other way that self care gets compromised. We cheat. This is how we cheat on our self care. I love it. We cheat. Yes, it is people saying I do self care and you're cheating on yourself. Why because you really want to get a manicure and pedicure and you're only going to get a manicured. Why because when you have to do you have to think, you have to do what? But you could feel it in the child. Maybe the impact of that is she doesn't spend an hour playing soccer. Maybe she cuts back on Do you understand what I'm saying here about the pattern of this.
Speaker 3: I totally understand. And that goes for adults as well. I mean, I'm putting it out there. I got me a boyfriend and I'm sitting up there trying to figure out how to spend time with him and still take care of my family, and I'm being put in a position with the family going, but you're not giving me enough time. But you're so busy as well that you want me to cater to your timing and my timing doesn't matter. And I'm having to work through this and set boundaries and be like, look, I understand, I get it, but it's unfair for you to ask me to not take care of myself by being with somebody that.
Speaker 4: Cares for me.
Speaker 3: And I know you guys care for me, but you're also old enough that you're doing what you need to to take care of yourself.
Speaker 4: So why can't I you know, so I totally get that.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. So let's think about it past the stigma, because here's here's the way it comes up. And I want to ask you how you get past this so I don't think like the people around us actually come out and say you're so selfish. They don't say those words right.
Speaker 4: They just make you feel guilty with the words that they do.
Speaker 2: So they make you feel guilty with the words right. But they also may say things like, and I've heard this before, do you ever think about anybody but yourself?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: Isn't that a good one, that you're getting, that that you get and.
Speaker 3: That you're Wait a minute, I gave up my whole lives and that was my choice.
Speaker 4: I did that.
Speaker 3: And yet now I'm at a point in my life where I'm living my life and now I'm selfish. Okay, you know what you do. You you're projecting onto me. But see, the thing is is, I've done work on myself. I know who I am, and I know that what they're doing, and I know that I need to to come at them in a different way as opposed to just being aggressive or.
Speaker 4: Not.
Speaker 3: Instead of reacting, I need to respond. I've worked on myself, but this kid is still hard. I know, I know it is, and I still go through my head sometimes too, going oh my god, is this selfish?
Speaker 4: No, it's not.
Speaker 3: I need to take care of myself because I can't show up for you if I don't fill my cup.
Speaker 2: It's insidious. I have a coach in my sport and I was working with her Friday last Friday and I said, you know, I need your help on something. So she thinks I'm going to like need her help on something like super shot or something. I said, I need your help on something. You know, I'm playing in these leagues, and you know I don't do well when I have to rush from one game to another or one match to another, and you know, I just get burned out and I don't even take breaks between the game. My coach is from Nigeria and she he looked at me and said, you are never gonna win. And I said, we You mean, if you can't stop in the middle of a league that is really not so dang important, And say, I got to go get water and take two minutes in between games. How are you going to have the guts to win?
Speaker 3: Yes, how are you going to show up for the team if you're dehydrated and you pass out? Oh my gosh, Now you sprain your ankle, or you bust your head, or you're just out, and then you're out for the rest of the season.
Speaker 2: And it happens like you know, it's on Saturday. I was like, oh, dude, you know what, I love you, but I gotta go get a drink over here. I gotta go drink my protein drink. But even doing that, I thought of how much time I'm spending, not even five minutes, But in my mind, it's like Okay, dude standing at the other end of the table waiting for me, and so here I go drink down an entire bottle of a pro team drink and then we wonder what But you see how this shows up If people look at me when I share this stuff, Coach Queeney, they look at me when I share this stuff, and they say, you pat yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: We still learn. No matter how much we know, we still learn.
Speaker 3: We still we still got to get into our own groove and be like, Okay, it's okay for me to spend two minutes drinking water regularly instead of bolting it down. And then you feel like crap on the wherever you're at, you know, the field or the court or whatever, you know, and you're like, oh, who wants that? You know what, if they don't want to take care of themselves and drink their water, let them be and you drink their water and you just go it's.
Speaker 4: Okay, it's okay, it's okay, I can drink my water.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I love this because now we have to talk about how we do the self care because we're giving a fan. I know, you have got to be in the middle of it with raising a family, having a family, not only that, but also being the family. So give us some tips on the best way to do self care.
Speaker 3: I would say, look, if you've got children and your children like to go to their friends, use that as your self care time. First of all, I mean, if you need to go on a date and the kids are out their friend's house, go on a date. If you need to take a bath, take a bath. But even if the kids are at home, there are times when they are playing and they're not messing with you and you haven't. You've got time between dinner. Take that five minutes. It is up to you.
Speaker 4: Get up an extra I don't like getting up early, that's just me. But if you can get up early, get up an extra.
Speaker 3: Ten to fifteen minutes early, sit there and drink your coffee, reading your newspaper before.
Speaker 4: Everybody gets up.
Speaker 3: It is up to you and how you you lies your time, And even if you have to plan it, be like, hey, I want to do this on Friday.
Speaker 4: Can you help me out, you know?
Speaker 3: Or hey, the kids are gone, I'm doing this, leave me alone, you know, Or don't answer your phone. Get a book when you're sitting in the train going to work.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't know. Some people ride a train, read the book. When you're you know, on a trip, enjoy it.
Speaker 3: Be in the present moment, you know, but find the time that works for you. Find the things that you like, that you enjoy. If you want to take a damn nap, take a nap, you got that fifteen minutes do it? Set an alarm, you know, and I get it. The guilt and the shame will pop up, and it's working through that and going I'm allowed to do this.
Speaker 4: It's okay. I'm doing this not only.
Speaker 3: For myself but for others, because if I don't do it for myself, I can't show up for others because I don't want to lay up on the bed being sick, or get some disease or a migraine, or.
Speaker 4: Take care of yourself. It is okay.
Speaker 3: Give yourself permission and have compassion and kindness for yourself.
Speaker 4: For Pete's sake, it is okay. And if you.
Speaker 3: Need me I will help you through that, you know, contact me through coach creemybeat dot com.
Speaker 4: You can set up a consultation. All the other links are there.
Speaker 3: I mean, even if you want to sit down and listen to music for five minutes. Yep, you know, when you're driving home, turn the radio off and just be with yourself, or find music that you like. Don't be listening to all this shit that's happening. Find some good music and jam until you get home.
Speaker 4: Calm down. If you need to.
Speaker 3: Take in your driveway while you're at home listening to your music, do it, you know, I mean, come on, let's do it that.
Speaker 4: Whatever works for you. Five minutes, start with five minutes.
Speaker 3: Work your way up, you know, and you will work through that guilt and that shame.
Speaker 4: But like I said, even to this day, I still have it. I still got to work through it.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, it's okay, Yeah, it is okay, it is. You know. The one thing I thought about is what you just mentioned. First of all, you and I do not get through this alone. So I'm glad that you're putting yourself out there to help people. This is a big one for women. I'm telling you, ladies, you're not gonna be able to do this alone, especially if you have a lifetime of that.
Speaker 4: Right, we are a village. Get together and take care of yourself.
Speaker 3: My best friend that has cancer, we me and my other best friend, our best friend, mutual best friend. She's gonna come down and we're written in Airbnb and we're taking her away and we're spoiling her.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we all need that.
Speaker 2: That is okay, And you know, look for the signs. So here's a sign. I was talking to somebody, a potential client or host or something a while ago, and he said to me, what is the what is the best thing you like to do?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: This will give you a sense of where I was, where I what I was on the edge of burn Isle at the time. I said, the best I'll tell you. The funniest thing I like to do is take an airplay ride from Seattle to New Jersey and New Jersey back there. He looked at me, like, are you out of your mind? I said, no, think about it. I get on that plane. Those doors shut, your things are shut down, You are not doing email, nobody's calling you, and you have a six hour ride, yes, uninterrupted.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 2: And I said to him, this is a friend of mine. Unless I sit next to you, then you're just not going to stop talking.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: But that was a sign for me of where I was at that time in my life. And I just looked at that and I said, really, pat mm hmm, that's what you're longing for. Why don't you give yourself six hours girlfriend exactly? And you don't have to get no plane ride, no.
Speaker 3: No, just give yourself permission, have compassion and kindness. Yeah, show up for you, because at this point nobody else is going to do it for you. Your friends aren't going to be like, hey, you know you need to drink your water.
Speaker 2: You have a little watch that tells me that.
Speaker 4: Now I'm always going did you drink your water? Did you drink the water?
Speaker 2: I get to watch now, I get to watch that. It's like, makes this water sound right?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: Oh my god?
Speaker 4: What is that?
Speaker 2: It's like I'm thinking, what's that my phone? No, it's my watch, like with water sound, Oh my god. And then I still don't go get it. Queenybe, coach, queeniebe, thank you so much for today, and for those who out there. I want to say two things to you. This is not like an invitation. This is a sense of urgency, ladies. This really is. You can look up all the statistics you want, You could see everything, but you don't have to. You don't have to do that. You just have to listen to what we're saying today and say, is that me?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Is that me? Am? I going to do what other people want me to do because they've said two words. Thank you Coach Queenie Bee for everything.
Speaker 4: Of course, of course, thank you everybody.
Speaker 2: I think my watch is beep. And now for the water.
Speaker 4: Go drink your water, doctor pat I've got.
Speaker 2: Mine, all right, everybody, Emily, thank you, Coach Queenie Bee. Everybody go please reach out. I'm telling you I'm not here. She's not here because we did this alone. We have people. Yes, We'll see y'all next time.
Speaker 3: Bye.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Thank you for listening to becoming the beautiful discovery with me. Coach Queenie Bee and doctor Patty join us the first Monday each month at eleven am Pacific time to embark on this journey of courage, awakening and self discovery. If today's episode inspired you to take a moment to like, share, and subscribe so others can join the movement too. For more resources, tools and inspiration, visit.
Speaker 4: Coach Queeniebee dot com.
Speaker 1: Remember visit Coach Queeniebee dot com and remember, your journey is your power. Keep waking up, claiming your truth and becoming the beautiful discovery you are always meant to be,