Speaker 1: Live Beyonce thrilling ten minutes till the top of the hour on a Saturday morning, July nineteenth. DJ Dubbs at the Helm Here, okay, Ron Wilson, who does the in the Gardens show on our sister Brother station whatever you want to call it, fifty five cars. He is trolling the holes looking for plants. He's a good guy. Brought me a cup of coffee and everything today. Nice man, I love this lady. I hope you do too, Lynette, good morning.
Speaker 2: I'm so pleass thank you. Listen me. I'm so please, thank geez. That's listen sole thus listing me singing Clory high Geeah.
Speaker 1: Man, you nailed it. You hit that note perfectly.
Speaker 3: Thank you, no baby, and then you come.
Speaker 1: Back with thank you though baby, you hit that great note. Man, Thank you baby. You sound like Verry White there.
Speaker 3: Remember I don't want to get that big poor baby.
Speaker 1: Do you remember Berry White?
Speaker 4: Linnette, Yeah, idea, him saying, because it looks like it took every inch of the energy. He was so heavy. He was like when the movie the truck sounds different, is hard to sing our breathe, our birth right.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't think he was running any marathons while he was singing no whatever.
Speaker 5: You won't be Oh, yeah, I don't got COVID and I was supposed to be here yesterday.
Speaker 3: I'm ever had was.
Speaker 1: With jaw Yeah, but you're having Elvis withdrawal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I will go.
Speaker 4: We live for the eighteens, and eighteen's here and gone, and we got COVID here and there and everywhere, but not in our room when quarantine everybody is.
Speaker 1: But what so you don't have COVID right.
Speaker 4: Because my phone had everything and people can't use it phone. But Lydia tackle this phone that day, Thank you, Jenko going down front and get ter phone. She just reached over and got my phone and called you, thank you Jesus.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you Jesus.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Lydia.
Speaker 6: Be my room.
Speaker 1: Here's a song you should learn in honor of Lydia. It's called Lydia The tattooed Lady.
Speaker 4: Nah Sure, Aliah's the tattooed lady.
Speaker 1: Darling Aliah, My Carl Hollywood.
Speaker 4: He's got a diamond in her nose.
Speaker 7: I want one in my teeth.
Speaker 3: And the guys said adventure was gonna pay part.
Speaker 1: Then, well you can't have everything.
Speaker 4: You could let me diet it and pay for it myself.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I do know what you mean. Listen, Lynette, I gotta I gotta run baby. Time is tight this morning.
Speaker 3: I know we get to write Lena, I.
Speaker 1: Love you, Love you Babello. Oh bye bye. Dick's hanging into the first official hour of this Saturday Morning edition or Saturday July nineteenth, twenty twenty five. I'm Gary Jeff Walker and you're not. I bet you're very happy about that. I wouldn't mean if I were you. Uh Anyway, seven minutes after the hour, A thought, just an idea, Maybe to teach those city beat writers a lesson about blocking off traffic on the Robling Suspension Bridge in protest. Maybe to teach them a lesson, they should have to spend the night in lockup with the thirteen year old criminal who was shooting fireworks at Red, White and Blue Ash. That'll scare them straight. Put the fear of God in him. That's what they need right there. That's all just my opinion, which isn't worth anything. Food for thought. Don't eat too much. Dave and Harrison, Good morning, Dave.
Speaker 8: What's up garage ass?
Speaker 1: When last I saw you, you were having fun with your buddies from second grade. I mean, you're all grown up. They weren't second graders now, they were second graders then when you were in second grade at Montford Heights. I believe, is that correct? Steve and Doug came in with you to the bar on Thursday and we had a wonderful time together, telling stories, telling jokes, playing music, and mostly drinking a lot of beer, right.
Speaker 3: Dave, something like that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I just as I get older, I'm a man of certain age, just like you are. I didn't I wanted to make sure that my memory served me correctly, that all of that happened or I didn't know if it was a hallucination or if it really happened. But you're confirming that it did and indeed happen, correct, I believe?
Speaker 9: Say yes, hey, Dave, off the off the record, Hey Dave, what yes.
Speaker 1: What did the what did the frog say to his buddies when he jumped into the pond? Needy need deep needy Ney?
Speaker 9: Yeah, that was a frog joke somewhere. But Jeff, yeah.
Speaker 1: Number one twenty five, one twenty five, I want to hear one twenty five right now, Dave.
Speaker 8: Well, it was just thirty three, But we'll work or whatever.
Speaker 3: Jeff, I wouldn't.
Speaker 9: I wouldn't worry about your smartphone or TV or let's a spine on you?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 9: Well, because your vacuum coinner has been gathering dirt on you for years? Jeor, Jeff, what do you call a man who can't stand?
Speaker 1: A man who can't stand?
Speaker 10: Neil Georg, Jeff, you know what happened two weeks ago?
Speaker 1: What happened two weeks ago? Dave?
Speaker 9: I sent my hearing aid in for repair, and you know what what? I have heard nothing since?
Speaker 1: What did you say?
Speaker 9: I said, I've heard nothing since.
Speaker 11: Jokes told by Dave from Harrison are not necessarily considered funny by the staff, management, or advertisers of seven hundred WLW or his parent company, iHeartMedia. If these attempts at humor have caused you to roll your eyes, made your stomach churn, or you have considered the entire sized to be a colossal waste of time, we deeply apologize. Now back to our irregular programming.
Speaker 1: So so what are you? What device are you listening to us on this morning? And how are we coming in?
Speaker 3: Pardon?
Speaker 12: This is a from nineteen forty six. It's a portable AM radio by the brand.
Speaker 3: Gard Garred Garad.
Speaker 12: I don't know g R O D. I got excited when I acquired this thing years ago because I thought it was made by Garrard, which was the high end turntable manufacturer for many, many years in the high Fi era. No, no such luck, but Garred Radio Corporation, Brooklyn, New York. It's just a little portable. It's kind of a cute idea. It looks sort of like what some would call the toolbox, or sorry, the treasure chest or the jewel box, where the radio would lay flat and you'd lift the lid and it would expose the dial and the speaker grill and so forth. It has that look to it, except it sits upright, so it has this sort of flip top lid on it. Some of them were plastic, bake light, leather covered whatever. Mine looks like it was made out of a cardboard, your.
Speaker 10: Case covered in and.
Speaker 12: What year is this, nineteen forty six, So again using whatever they had left or available immediately post war. It's a five to tube radio. And one of the interesting things about this, which was the reason the person was selling it, was because they complained that it had this huge problem, which is that it would turn on immediately if you grant it on batteries, but if you plugged it in, it wouldn't work.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 12: The problem is if you plug it in, there's a fifth tube in there that takes me admittedly freaking forever to warm up and start working. So you have a normal weight for the tube to warm up, big tube to warm up when you plug it in, the other four tubes are low voltage and come on almost immediately, and that still scares me every time. Yeah, why is it working? Anyways? It's an AM radio which got kind of a funky almost triangular shaped dial vertical dial on it, and it took the classic sixty seven and a half in seven point five volto back. But I did find an entry for this thing in the Radio and TV Retailing magazine nineteen forty seven is grudgs silver Anniversary. Through the years we have acquired the know how in quotes in engineering and construction, they know how quotes in radio merchandising and promotion. In other words, they went into it just completely ignorant, but finally, being our two autmosis the boblog enough they finally figured some radios.
Speaker 1: Do you know that that fits? I mean, I've been doing this for a little over forty five years, and I'm finally kind of getting the hang of it, so I understand that completely.
Speaker 12: So the new luxury portable is this model, which, by the ways of five D two, a new model, a better portable, weighs less than six and a half pounds without batteries. Wow, famous Garar electric circuit, famous invisible in quotes, built in antenna. Yeah, it's pretty obvious. It's not invisible at all. Gay colorful cabinets. He was nineteen forty seven. Come on, right, you'll sell them, buy the hundreds during summer vacation and travel months. Okay, sure, you will, probably not hundreds to each customer.
Speaker 3: I'm assuming.
Speaker 12: Unlet's do that, unreliable, you know me?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, six and a half pounds without batteries doesn't sound exactly like it's light weight either. I mean that that weighs more than our kit and Frankie right now, which I can pick him up with one hand, but very soon that's going to be more and more difficult to snatch him up. So I can't imagine just easily grabbing I mean, it's only six and a half pounds. I'm not totally weak armed, but still that's not exactly lightweight, is it?
Speaker 2: Not?
Speaker 1: At all?
Speaker 12: And they have another model that weighs almost less than five pounds. It says can easily slip into a suit pocket. Oh really, well, it might slip in there, it might slip right through it.
Speaker 1: Let's say, yeah, if you don't like your suit pockets, go ahead and try and put that sucker in there.
Speaker 12: Give you that gate you've always wanted.
Speaker 3: While you're.
Speaker 1: So, what's the performance like as far as how.
Speaker 12: It sounds, it's got a small speaker, so it doesn't it's not exactly booming base or anything. I mean, And the sound quality is okay. And as far as the reception goes for a for a portable, it's not bad. But I mean I give it a four by four.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 12: It's one of those that doubt. In my basement, it's a little iffy without antennahelp, which I have to break up because it doesn't have an external antenna connection. But upstairs in the garage, which is actually where I was listening to it this morning running a wrench on the old Volvo, it does pretty well.
Speaker 1: Actually, well, you were fixing your car. Putting a wrench on the old Vovo is not a code for anything else, right.
Speaker 12: It's a sixty eight Volvo Amazon And as I've as my wife and I have been saying for twenty three years, now, in just a few months it'll be drivable.
Speaker 1: Well, good luck to you, sir, Old Radio Reck at gmail dot com if you'd like to find out more from mister Washburn. Oh, you know, we've got a surprise phone call here. I haven't talked to this gentleman for a while from near Oak Harbor, Ohio, kind of like I don't know Oak Harbor, Lindsay area. The one and only Tim Shimming is back. Good morning, Tim.
Speaker 3: Good morning. How are you doing today?
Speaker 1: I'm doing fine. What's going on these days?
Speaker 13: Oh?
Speaker 3: Just busy, busy, busy. The Lindsay Sunflower Festival is next weekend.
Speaker 1: Oh you know, I had a feeling that it was just about that time of year for the Lindsay Sunflower Festival. Now do you get people from all over the world coming to Lindsay, Ohio for the sunflower fest?
Speaker 3: Everywhere?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, give me an example. How far away have people come to Lindsay Ohio for the Sunflower Festival.
Speaker 10: They come from everywhere.
Speaker 1: You're not more specific than that.
Speaker 3: I mean, well I thought they did.
Speaker 1: Maybe, I was do they do they land at the International Lindsay Municipal Airport to come to this or do they.
Speaker 3: Have to field? There is a field they can land in.
Speaker 1: So it's got it's got the tower and the lights in the windsock basically yes, yeah, Okay, how big is Lindsay, Ohio.
Speaker 3: It's it's very it's small, but it's probably more people there in one day than that there is there all year.
Speaker 8: Oh.
Speaker 1: I would imagine for the sunflowers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's thousands of people come to this.
Speaker 1: It's nine to nine. Is it next Saturday?
Speaker 3: Yes? And there's something there for everyone.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean if you like sunflowers, I guess, and everything, food trucks, stuff for kids to do, all.
Speaker 3: Kinds of things. Animals, tournament, yeah, tons of animals.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I mean I'll consider it. I usually have to work on Saturdays, but I mean.
Speaker 3: You could do your show and still make it here in time?
Speaker 1: Well yeah, I could. Actually, it's about it's about maybe three and a half four hours if I hopped off immediately at nine and just headed up.
Speaker 3: I'm sure you could stay with farmer Dan.
Speaker 1: Well, I could stay with farm but but see, I have to work at the bar too. So you're talking. You're talking to someone who doesn't have paid time off. I have no PTO. If I don't work, I don't get paid. And if I don't, if I don't get paid, then I don't eat. But I guess, but I guess you could you could feed me. That'd be your lunch. All right, Well we'll we'll talk it over with the missus and I'll get back to you. Lindsay, Ohio. Now, Now, where exactly in Lindsay is the Sunflower Festival to downtown at the park.
Speaker 3: You cannot miss it. It's right on State Route five ninety.
Speaker 1: Christ tu Point is just texting me right now. Hold on here. See what she says. Do you need to need me to make more tea? Yes, yes, dear I do. Uh and uh give give me a text about the Sunflower Festival next Saturday. Tim, have a wonder have a wonderful weekend. We'll talk to you soon. Thank you very much, brighte bye, looking forward to lunch and Lindsey not seven hundred WLW at six forty four on a Saturday morning, Gary Jeff with you on the Saturday Morning edition on seven hundred WLW. I look forward to this next segment every week because, well just because it is so well thought out, so well written, and so well delivered by my friend Steve Simon from at Ohio. And here he is right now. Good morning, Steven, Good.
Speaker 14: Morning Gary Jeff. There's been a lot of discussion lately about the demise of my birthplace, New York City, amidst the current race for mayor.
Speaker 6: I don't know what the fuss.
Speaker 14: Is when you look at La Chicago or Columbus. What's the diff The Big Apple is not new to efforts to destroy it. In recent years, two famous universities, one an Ivy League Bastion, have been taken over by anty intellectuals, bringing back memories of Nazi Germany. The descent of higher education and the self destruction raises several questions about American intellectual history. I was gifted recently by my kids with Ron Cherno's biography of Mark Twain, an almost exclusively self taught man of American letters whose success was worldwide. Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn got the ball rolling on a long career in writing, publishing, and stage presentations. Twain hobnob was some of the most famous nineteenth century writers, both here and abroad. I was fascinated by the lack of formal education of many of them. In this one thousand page Twain biography, ron Cherno cites Ohio born William Dean Howells nearly one hundred times a contemporary of Twains. Howels is recognized as the Dean of American letters. Yet his preparation for his journey into journalism consisted of no more than two years a formal education in Hamilton, Ohio, where his father was a typesetter who moved up to the editor's chair of the local newspaper. At age fifteen, the younger Howls had a poem published in the Ohio State Journal. Six years later, he got a full time job at the journal, writing poems and short stories. At twenty three, he visited Boston, where he was introduced to eminent writers of the day. He also found time to write his first book, Life of Lincoln, about the president's eighteen sixty campaign. In eighteen seventy five, Howls started his most famous journalistic post, editor of the Atlantic monthly. Two men could not have been more opposite in character and personality than William Dean Howells and the often scatter brained and mercurial Mark Twain. Their odd symmetry may be explained in Howell's quote, a friend knows how to allow for mere quantity in your talk and only replies to the quality. Hows is also credited with the so called realist movement in journalism, which he described as the truthful treatment of material. Wow, where the hell did that go? One suspects the relatively unsophisticated Howls background led to this quote. I hope the time is coming when not only the artists, but the common average man, who always has arts in his power, will also have the courage to apply it. I'm thinking of Lincoln independently. Mark Twain said, a nation's language is a very large matter. It is not simply a manner of speech among the educated handful. The speech of the uneducated multitude must also be considered. Twain thought Lincoln's Gettysburg Address was one of the two greatest pieces in the English language. Abe did not go to college. He split rails. Howells leaves us with two more gems. This thing we call civilization. We think it's an affair of epics and nations. It's really an affair of individuals. And on the subject of Jesus Christ, he said, writers may confess him or deny him, but you cannot exclude him. Next Wednesday is the one hundred and fortieth anniversary of the death of Ulysses Grant, who had just finished his memoirs as he laid dying of throat and tongue cancer. Mark Twain's company published that two volumes set, which gave Grant's impoverished widow four hundred and fifty thousand dollars. Als reviewed the book and said Grant is one of the most natural writers I ever read. Rip General, another Cincinnati area hero and college grad, should remember commencement means beginning, not end. I know I had to unlearn half of what I was told through three degrees. Think about that, folks, What the hell happened to education? Have a good weekend, Gary.
Speaker 1: Jeff, bye bye, Thank you. Sir had to unlearn most of what he was taught through three different degrees. Liam Tomlinson, that'll that that advice would serve you well. Center college grad Ray in Loveland, Brother Scott, how.
Speaker 3: Are you good morning, my friend?
Speaker 10: Good morning. You know it makes me feel a lot better about Fall State, didn't it you?
Speaker 1: Well what I what I endearingly call thirteenth grade. Yes, it so much better about Fall State.
Speaker 10: We're going to need I'm going to come back to you here now to help return us to marital bliss, because we once again have a disagree and the best way for us to settle it is usually with your calming voice and your knowledge rather than looking up the internet. So put on your musical cat.
Speaker 1: Dire streets for nothing, money for nothing, chicks for free?
Speaker 10: Yeah, well that's that's the rough, is it. There's two factions here in this household, and we need to come together as one.
Speaker 1: Okay, what what was the what wisdom of you're seeking about dire straits? Money for nothing?
Speaker 10: Is it checks for free?
Speaker 3: Or chicks for free?
Speaker 1: Chicks for free? Chicks for free, chicks for free?
Speaker 10: Yep, she's right again.
Speaker 1: Thank you, my brother, God, You're so welcome. I'm glad I could resolve that issue for you now. It's definitely chicks for free. Six fifty three w Jeff Weilerhonda dot Com into another hour of the Saturday morning edition for this Saturday, July nineteenth, twenty twenty five. I'm Gary Jeff Walker. Aren't you impressed? I'm not my friend Steve Shulty. No environmental minute per se this morning this week, because Steve Schulty and his bride Robin are right now on an Alaska cruise and I am so jealous. He's first hand witnessing the effects of man made climate change and global warming, cruising along the Alaska coast. Kidding by the way, physics, according to the CO two Coalition, physics demonstrates that increasing greenhouse gases cannot cause dangerous warming, extreme weather, or any harm. And CO two, of course, among its separate properties, are a provider of food for plants and people. Also, is a greenhouse gas not dangerous? Nothing to worry about here, Dennis, Doctor Dennis, and Annapolis is on the line in Steve Schulte's stead. So I don't know what you have in mind to talk about, but I'm sure it's something compelling and entertaining.
Speaker 8: What is most hopefully hopefully entertaining.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, what's going on, doctor Dennis.
Speaker 8: It's a little story about some dating sisters. I don't know if it's a story that's uh that's better than what Day from Harrison might offer.
Speaker 1: But is it radio friendly?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 1: It is? Okay, all right, that's the important I would and my finger on the dump button. Just we've got a big red button. We've got a big red button here, got a big red button here in the studio, and it just says dump and and if I hit if I hit the button, if I hit the button, then not only will the audio that I found to be not usable on the air is deleted from the on air signal, but the person who uttered that language will immediately drop through the floor wherever they are. Wherever they are. We have the technology to do this, Dennis, So be careful.
Speaker 8: Okay, well okay, so what's what's the story? So, so we have a father who's sitting at home with his four daughters when there's a knock at the door and the young man appears and announces, my name is Lance, and i'd like the chance to go to the dance with your daughter Dance. So soon after Lance and Nance have left, another guy shows up and says, my name is Shoe, and I'd like to go to the picture show with your daughter Flow. So they head out and then yet along comes yet another fellow who announces my name is Teddy, and I'm all ready to eat some spaghetti with your daughter Betty. So I'll go Teddy and Betty. And then about an hour later there's a frightfully loud knocking at the door. The father opens the door and then staggers an obviously drunk fellow who begins to slur my name is Tucker.
Speaker 1: I like it. I like it. Joe and Floe go, Teddy and Betty eats spaghetti. Lance and Nance go to the dance, and then there's Tucker. Uh. Yeah, I had my finger. I had my finger on the dump button just in case it continued.
Speaker 3: It made the cut. I assume that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're still on the air, and you're still sitting in your chair. Hey, you're not going anywhere.
Speaker 8: That's right. Yeah. I was talking with a friend this week. If you have a minute or so, Yeah, I was talking with a friend this week, and I had been to Dallas a couple of years ago, and we were talking about the Summaris in Hamburgers and I said, well, we were in Dallas. We made it our mission to try, uh, you know, the the in and out burger and what a burger yeah, and they're both there and to compare them and all that, And I couldn't think of the name of what a burger. So I was doing a little search on the internet about, you know, the best burger places in Dallas on that show about fifteen places or twenty places. We're fairly good burgers. But I could not believe the name. This was a pub or some dive. I couldn't believe the name of this one place. What was Lee Harvey's.
Speaker 1: Oh god, oh man.
Speaker 8: I'm wondering if to had the man liquor Carcanoberger.
Speaker 1: You know, it's very nice, all right, So you were in Dallas with Alice while you were on Cialis, Thank you, Doctor Dennis, Tom Davis Diaries and more. Just to head on seven hundred WLW a quarter or after seven to fifteen Eastern time, that is on a Saturday morning, Gary Jeff walking with you on seven hundred WLW, which, by the way, there are portions of this program which if you weren't awake for them, you can enjoy later via podcast. Other portions are not available on podcasts because of course there are licensing rights. There's like songs, we can play songs on the air during the show, but they cannot be played on the podcast on Street because they are licensed differently separately. I don't I don't understand it all, but those are the rules. Producer Liam Tomlinson confessed to me earlier that he had an unusual evening last night, and I was gonna let him regale us with a little bit if he would of of what you experienced last evening. It was something new for you. Tell me what you did last night, Liam.
Speaker 7: So I was, hey, I'm buddy Hit. I was with the Buddy the other night and he said, Friday night, my friend's performing. And I was thinking, Okay, it's gonna be on a stage. It's gonna be cool, or just some bars gonna be rocking. It's going to be you know, chicks everywhere.
Speaker 1: Like Ray was talking about money for nothing and chicks for free, and it's just rock and roll and or something rock us and something that would be more along the lines of what you usually would be used to right in a little.
Speaker 7: Dive, maybe some smoke in the air, a little hazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: He says, it's that a place called the Conveyor Belt, and I'm like, okay, that's a cool name for a part.
Speaker 1: That is a very very industrial sounding, like it'ld be in a warehouse or something.
Speaker 7: So I walk I'm walking a couple of blocks away from where I'm staying at and I walk over there and I'm like, this is a bookstore and this is like an acoustic guitar set going on, and like I'm sitting like on the floor. I'm about I'm not like a small guy. I'm almost hoss love when I'm sitting there, like crisscross apple sauce in this little bookstore. It was a cool bookstore. I'll give the conveyor belt that and coming to him and then it was like an acoustic set, no talking. I I was just so confused, thrown off. I mean it was cool, it was great performances, but I I just was not in the right headspace to be in the place at that time.
Speaker 1: What was there the smell of CBD or cannabis and patuli or both.
Speaker 7: A little bit of everything. I'll just say this. I was also out of my element. It felt like a road game, like the crowd was going crazy, like on a road Meeter, you're on the sec or on the road. That was not my environment, right, It's cool, it was still a good place.
Speaker 1: Right. Did you feel like something changed inside you from this experience, said you, Did you get in touch with the inner lium or maybe your female side perhaps?
Speaker 7: Yeah, my divine feminine I've really started to understand after last night, I bought a book, So you actually bought would you buy Demons? Buy Thestvsky? A Russian? Yeah, writer familiar, familiar with his work. Yeah, so I'm excited to read that. So I guess I got something out of it. I'm a highly educated man. Now you're making fun of my liberal degree, but I'm just scholarly, Gary Jeff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the road to hell paved with coffee shops and bookstores and acoustic performances sitting cross legged on the floor. That was for the sixties and seventies. This is twenty twenty five. Grow up, young man.
Speaker 7: I will say this. What nobody was on their phone.
Speaker 1: Here is that mad man Tom Davis with wild, wacky news stories from around the country and around the world.
Speaker 15: Your correspondent, Tom. Good morning, Gary Jeff. This week a tale as old as time. The mouse in the monster. But first, a genius in France just escaped a maximum security prison by hiding in luggage. A parolee walked out the door with a twenty year old crammed inside his luggage. Now Unfortunately, the guy who was paroled was caught as now being deemed an accomplice, while the escapee made it out and is still on the lamb. Sure, there's not much to do in Butte, Montana, but that doesn't mean you have to break the only McDonald's. Teenagers in Butte thought it would be a good idea to fill the soda fountain with soap. It had to be shut down completely for a few days while cleaning and repairs could be done. I mean, I love a good prank as much as then, but I don't love it nearly as much as I love a large coke from Mickey D's.
Speaker 1: Turns out Pennsylvania stinks. No really.
Speaker 15: A truck spilled twenty thousand rotten eggs near Lancaster. It was taking the rotten eggs to a mulch plant when rainfall started filling up the back of the truck, allowing the eggs that just start spilling over the side.
Speaker 1: And finally, careful when you pull that tab.
Speaker 15: A woman in Michigan was opening up a can of Monster Energy drink when a mouse ran out of a can.
Speaker 1: She screamed. Then she called the company. They say they're investigating.
Speaker 15: Meanwhile, she's loayured up says she's suffering from severe distress, trauma and physical illness. I mean, I get it makes me sick to my stomach to think that she might get some money out of this next week. A fifty five year old dad in Lopes with sons, twenty two year old fiance have a great weekend.
Speaker 1: Nice, Yeah, thank.
Speaker 16: You very much.
Speaker 14: Okay, Klass, do you have any questions for the paleon tala?
Speaker 7: Just logan? How did the Tyrannosaurus frex use toilet paper with such.
Speaker 17: Seven hundred WLW?
Speaker 12: Sport?
Speaker 1: Here's the over educated Liam Tomlinson with a sports report.
Speaker 7: Scotti Scheffer leads the British Open, currently at ten under he Te's off at ten thirty five. The Red's top the Mets last night, eight to four. Lodolo went seven innings, given up two earned run and striking out seven batters. Austin Hayes had two homers. Matt McLean and Tyler Stevenson each added two home runs. The Reds are back in action this afternoon. Nick Martinez on the mound for the Reds Clay Holmes on the mountain. For the Mets, first pitch is Severn four to ten. Inside pitch begins at three to ten right here on the home of the Reds seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: All right, so the state tree of Ohio just the Buckeye, right, Actually, Ohio state tree may not exist. Nineteen fifty three, the one hundred General Assembly decreed that the tree asclest globra, commonly know as the Buckeye, as hereby adopted as the official tree of the state. Unfortunately, Ohioans the buckeye is the Asculus glabra. The Asculus globra does not exist. The globra spelling repeated throughout many official legislative sources, including the current online version of the Ohio Revised Code. Ohio Senate Democrats communications director Casey Rife shared a photo of a Senate hard copy of the code, which reads asculus globra and then glabra is in parentheses, but the clarifying text is not repeated online. Riif said she did not know why the online version doesn't offer both spellings. The Ohio Legislative Service Commission is tasked with approving and digitizing the Ohio Revised Code, director of the Ohio Legislative Service Commission said the era is likely a typo, but they're still looking into it. You understand the genus asculus reserved to nut bearing trees and shrubs. Globra glabr is a Latin term that means smooth or hairless, referring to the buckeye smooth stems and leaves. Globra glo bra is not a Latin word and does not exist so as it is officially in the text of the Ohio Revised Code Ascleus globra means nothing. The state tree doesn't exist in its curtain spelled form. Now we've all seen a buckeye tree. We know what a buckeye, we know brutus buckeye, but as it is written asculus globra, there's no such thing. They've got to make this right. It may take a special legislative session to do it. Rock and Roll Archaeology with Jim Levarbar the music professor, coming up right after News, which is next on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 18: Again, a few are possible for the morning hours, but look for more rows of showers and storms and to your Saturday afternoon as well as in today evening, possibly strong to severe with heavy rain and gusty winds. Highs today will be in the mid to upper eighties. More rain and storm Sunday. From your severe weather station. I'm nine First Warning Meteorologist kJ Jacobs's Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 19: No rain yet, seventy two degrees with some patchy fog in the Tri State. I'm Sandy Collins. Our next news at eight thirty, News Radio seven hundred WLWL.
Speaker 17: News twenty four hours a day. News Radio seven hundred WLW into.
Speaker 1: Another hour of the Saturday morning edition for this Saturday, July nineteenth, twenty twenty five. Gerry Jeff Walker not not a violent man, but I don't know. Somehow punching a protester in the mouth sounds fun just me, I guess, or maybe maybe not just me. Mike Allen's Saturday Midday coming up at nine o'clock. Right now, it's time for our friend Mike Science. Mike that is, with another Science Minute on a Saturday morning.
Speaker 14: Yes, as a nither scientist, it's surprising it bell blinded me.
Speaker 1: Good morning, Michael.
Speaker 3: Oh Now, Gary Jeff, let's leave the violence to the left.
Speaker 1: You're right, you're right, You're absolutely right. This is before you get into whatever you've got planned. But this is the day that Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and Michael Collins went into orbit around the Moon in nineteen sixty nine, just before the big moon landing the next day.
Speaker 3: I heard you this morning.
Speaker 13: That's quite quite the event for all those many many years ago.
Speaker 3: And I mean, think about what they went through.
Speaker 1: Did you did you get to stay up and watch the moon landing?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I did.
Speaker 13: And the funny thing about it, I'm thinking, I mean I see the actual you know, Eastern time, what time they actually landed on the Moon, And I thought it was like I thought, like it was like two o'clock in the morning. I remember my dad coming in and said, hey, wake up, you want to get up and watch this?
Speaker 3: Like okay, okay did.
Speaker 1: We were living outside of We're living in suburban Chicago and so we're on Central time. But I remember my parents let me stay up for the moon landing. I was I was eight years old.
Speaker 3: Wow, Wow, someday we'll be back. Do you think that Peter Bronson is going to do a book signing at the conveyor Belt.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'll have to ask if he's ever been to the conveyor belt.
Speaker 3: Anyhow, let's get to the topic.
Speaker 13: Here's an interesting I'll give you the headline first and I get into the specific China's clean air could be behind an acceleration and global warming. So what they article actually meet this topic is for the last fifteen years or so on the Eastern Asia, specifically China, they've been improving their sulfur dioxide emissions. They've been reducing them by like seventy five percent, okay.
Speaker 3: And what they're saying this does is because.
Speaker 13: You're reducing sulfur dioxide, so two, decreasing the cloud cover. And because it's decreasing the cloud cover, it's allowing the it would actually cool the earth, so we reflect light back.
Speaker 3: Up and not have the sunlight come true.
Speaker 13: So it's actually been masking the global warming effect because it's actually been like a Yin and yang type of thing, been cooling the earth and still allowing the Earth to help more because of global warming. And I just give you these numbers. These are so minute, I don't know how they measure these things, but they're based on one hundred and sixty computer models out of eight different climate models, blah blah blah. But basically they thought that over the last in twenty ten that the expected warming should only be like zero point two to three degrees centigrade, and it was actually zero point three to three degrees centigrade. So they think that this delta zero point one degree centigrade is related to the decrease in the clouds, allowing to keep the changing the cooling effect of the ear from the cloud cover side.
Speaker 1: I am more confused than I was when we started.
Speaker 13: I am to the basic thing is we got rid of the pollution, and we made it worse for ourselves.
Speaker 1: So we should call this we should call this segment into the weeds with science money and turn it into a gardening segment. Okay, all right, man, thanks lot, It's great to talk to all of us. Rick Green is standing by for a little bit of sanity and something positive on a Saturday morning, coming up in minutes on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 20: Over the years you've brought them into your home. We were prescribed opioids after the C section, when Dad entered his back, when your basketball star tore his acl opioids helped with the pain, and you held onto them just in case, But did you know holding onto unused opioids puts your family at risk? Opioids are powerful pain reducing prescription medicines, but most people who are prescribed opioids don't finish their prescriptions, So millions of unused opioids are sitting at homes across the country, and tragically, more than one hundred Americans die every day from overdoses involving opioids. What can you do to protect your family? Remove the risk of unused opioids from your home, pills patches or syrups and drawers, purses and cabinets anywhere they might be hiding. To find out how to dispose of them properly, visit www dot FDA dot gov slash Drug Disposal.
Speaker 17: Big firm resources, personalized service that's wealth planning at Allworth Financial dot com.
Speaker 18: Forecast kicking off the weekend with warm rounds of showers, antheto storms a few possible Saturday morning, Additional showers and storms into the afternoon, possibly strong too severe. Heavy rain could lead to some flooding. Also strong winds capable of damage. I isolated storm risk for your Sunday, so more dry timeout there intemperatures will heat back up near ninety from your severe Weather station. I'm nine first one of meteorologists Kjjacobs is Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 19: Patchy Fog seventy three. Right now, I'm Sandy Collins. Next News at nine o'clock on NewsRadio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 17: News twenty four hours. Your Day News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: Good Morning Time will give strm Wally Ah. Driving in Cincinnati or anywhere, the light's yellow, it's about to turn red just in front of him. He does the right thing, stopping at the crosswalk, even though we could have beaten the light by accelerating through the intersection. The woman who's tailgating him is not happy. In fact, she's furious. She honks her horns. She screams in frustration as she missed her chance to get through the light. She drops her cell phone at her makeup on the floorboard. She's just all in a tizzy as she's in the middle of this ranch. She hears a tap on her window and looks up into the face of a very serious police officer. The officer orders her to exit her car with her hands up. He takes her to the police station where she searched, fingerprinted, photographed, placed in a holding cell. After a couple of hours, a policeman approaches the cell, opens the door, and escorts her back to the book desk, where the arresting officer is waiting with her personal effects, and he says to her, I'm very sorry for this mistake. You see, ma'am. I pulled up behind your car while you were blowing your horn, flipping off the guy in front of you, cussing up a blue streak, and I noticed the what would Jesus Do bumper sticker, the Choose Life license plate holder, the follow Me to Sunday School bumper sticker, and the chrome plated Christian fish emblem on the trunk. So naturally, I assumed you had stolen the car.
Speaker 21: Seven hundred WLW Cincinnati and iHeartRadio Station make us the number one preset on your car radio and on the free new and improved iHeartRadio app. Listen for all your music, radio and podcast free never sounded so good. News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 14: Don't miss Oy Davila, Cruise in your Cincinnati.
Speaker 9: Reds take on show Hey Otani in the and.
Speaker 1: I gotta tell you I am truly at this moment as I'm speaking to you and doing my show Watching the Open on TV because it's on and I I would also tell you this that I would probably rather watch this while I'm doing my show than hear Moegger playing golf like I was last Saturday morning. But I mean that's just me personal taste. Hey, mo' not on the not on the links this morning? Are you?
Speaker 7: Uh No?
Speaker 6: But watching?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: Watching Watching the Open. It's amazing when when they put us in these these boxes that they call studios and took all the big windows out so we can't see the outside world. We're just kind of in this little digital box which a bunch of television's rings in front of us, only which two work And I don't think that they work in any of the other talk studios, but they do work in this one. They're connected to something. Actually, I would much rather have the windows than the TVs. Do you do you ever miss that? Do you miss the old studios when we were on the other side of the building, when we actually could see the outside world. I just feel really really enclosed here and very very I'm a little verklemped to be honest with you. Do you miss the old studios, mo.
Speaker 6: I do like natural light coming in. I miss being able to see the producer that I'm working with.
Speaker 3: Yes, well, I.
Speaker 6: Think our new setup has its advantages, and the TV setup in our studio is much much better. I do I have fun to get go questions some of the design. But yes, during my show, I will routinely walk out Jess so I could see the outside, walk out into the office area so I could see the outside wall.
Speaker 1: When Dave Kitton described the new studios before we moved in as a combination of Chipotle and Apple Store going through Microsoft, my first thought before I'd ever seen them or experienced them was yuck. It's the last place I want to me. I've actually done portions of this show outside in the parking lot when the weather was nice. I took my cell phone and just said I'm going outside, and then that was kind of that was kind of nice. But anyway, I digress. Obviously, So what is what is the w NBA All Star Weekend, the skills competition and the game without Caitlin Clark. I mean, obviously she's there rooting on her team and helping code, but that's kind of a downer for the whole league, isn't it.
Speaker 6: Oh? Without question, she might not be the best player in the WNBA, but she is the biggest name. And you know, the TV ratings for that league, with her having an injury feld season, have been pretty good, but they go through the roof when Kaitlyn Clark plays. Now, I'll say this, Kelsey Mitchell from Princeton High School, who plays for the same team as Kaitlin Clark, is also going to be participating in the All Star Game, and so if you're looking for a local angle, you could watch her. And I happen to think that within a year or two, the best player in the league is going to be Pagebeckers of the Dallas Wings. But it goes without saying right now, she is the meal ticket for the WNBA, and that is no knock on any other player in that league. But she brought a lot of casual and non women's basketball fans to the set in college and she's done that, excuse me, in the WNBA, and she certainly would have done that with the All Star Game this week.
Speaker 1: You talked about the casual or non fans and I was raising my hand. I mean, Kaylen Clark absolutely brought me to watch women's college basketball when she was at Iowa like no other player in my lifetime, and she is the only reason I probably have paid any attention to the WNBA. And that's probably bad on me. Okay, that probably says more about me than it does the WNBA. But you know, I had a guy come up and tell me that he had a lot in common with Caitlin Clark, and I said, how so he said, well, I'm attractive, athletic and I've nailed a bunch of threes. I don't know what he meant.
Speaker 6: But very nicely done. Look, that's not an indictment on you. I think in every sport there are individual athletes that bring people to the party. Tiger Woods did that golf in the late nineteen nineties. How many people had watched a golf tournament or had played golf before Tiger Woods in the late nineteen nineties, And then, you know, once Tiger's prime came and went, it was up to them to determine whether or not they were going to continue to watch. I certainly believe that if you look at the history of the NBA, there have been individual stars that have brought people to the party. I think we've had that in college basketball as well. I think baseball is struggling for somebody to do that in an era where there's a lot of great, you know, really transcending stars in baseball, they just haven't taken on a national level. So I don't know that that's an indictment against you. I think it's up to the WNBA two. Now that you have people that have come to the party because of Caitlyn Clark, keep them. And I think, you know, speaking for myself as somebody who hasn't watched a ton of WNBA basketball in his life, Caitlin Clark and others have brought me to the party and now I watch with more regularities and probably will continue to do so. But they could use her healthy, There's no question about that. Tough for that league this weekend to have the biggest name, maybe not the best player, but the biggest name in the league not participating.
Speaker 1: She is a wizard with the basketball though, as far as passing, just amazing stuff. The Reds started the second half, so called of the season last night in New York and did a number on the Mets. I mean, Nicolodolo was, you know, in really really good form last night and the home run bats came to play. But still the question with the Reds are are they going to be able to play small ball and score runs more consistently with runners in scoring position than they have been. I mean, it was a home run fest again that led them to the big lead last night, and that seems to have been the case in the offensive explosions the Reds have experience this year. It's all been based on the long ball, and they're simply not that kind of team that's going to give you that on a consistent basis. And you and I have talked about that a bunch. But what'd you think about last night and the way they opened up?
Speaker 6: Well, you know what a difference of week makes, right. Last week, Austin Hayes had one of the worst offensive games in the history of the franchise, zero for five, four strikeouts, grounded into a double play, They walked Eli Dela Cruz in front of him three times. Neither time did Austin hays By hitting behind him, come up with a big hit struck out to end the game. And then last night, you know, he hits two home runs the opposite way, which a big deal was made about that because Terry Francona had the hitters participate in a opposite field hitting contest in New York on Thursday during their workout after the All Star break, and Austin Hayes comes to the plate hits a couple of opposite field home runs last night, also had a basis loaded walk that very encouraging sign. Matt McClain hitting a home run along with another hit after striking out his first two times at the plate a very encouraging sign.
Speaker 3: I think he's the key.
Speaker 6: Because you want to play small ball, okay, you need more guys on base. We're guys more likely to get on base from up the top of the batting order. Matt McClain hit second. The Reds production in the two hole is among the worst in the league this season, so we talked about all the time, like you know, Ellie Dela Cruz needs to be protected with the hitters hitting behind him, and there's a validity to that. I think Ellie Dela Cruz needs to be protected by having more guys on base in front of him. And obviously TJ frieda leading off this season, has had a good year. Matt McClain has not, and He is a cornerstone of this team. He was their best player two years ago. If you were to list, you know, superlatives to the first half of the season, I think he would walk away with most disappointing performance. So last night was really encouraging. He can hit the long ball, but what I'm interested in is does he get on base, and if he does with more regularity, I think it opens things up a little bit more for this offense. Any good team, I believe has a quality hitter hitting in the two spot, and any average offense only gets a boost. And the Reds have pretty much above across the board an average offense. If they want to be slightly better, I think the production in the two spot has to improve. And let's face it, if it doesn't come from Matt McLain, they've tried Santiago Espinal there as well. That's not going to work. So that was my first takeaway, and then the other one was, you know, Nick Widolo continues to have very quietly a really strong season. He's not Andrew Abbott, He's not Hunter Green when Hunter Green's healthy, but Nick Widolo is healthy and more often than not, and he certainly did last night gives the Reds a chance to win.
Speaker 1: But by the way, on Hunter Green, how close are we to seeing him again? If at all?
Speaker 6: I don't think anybody. I don't think anybody has any idea, which I think is the frustrating part. You know, they've they were going to put him on a rehab assignment two weeks ago, then they scratched that he is still doing some throwing. He's down an Arizona, the Arizona Complex, But there seems to be no real idea when he's going to be able to pitch. And it's frustrating because when he's healthy, there aren't many pictures better than him and all of baseball. He's just, unfortunately frequently not healthy. And this has an air of mystery to it, where you wonder if it's not so much physical pain or an injury, an injury that you could diagnose on an MRI, but something mental where he's having a hard time kind of getting over the hup. I don't know what the answer is, but they need Hunter Green badly here in the second half of the season. It's frustrating that we don't know when we're going to see him on the mounting him.
Speaker 1: I didn't get a chance to hear you after the All Star Game. But what did you think of the home run swing off? It's much better than Bude Sea Like declaring a tie and everybody going home frustrated. I kind of enjoyed it. What did you think of the home run swing to decide the All Star Game?
Speaker 6: I thought it was great. You're right, you know, the two thousand and two All Star Game in Milwaukee. I don't know why they couldn't have just cobbled that together on the fly. It's gonna have limitations because you know, many wondered, well, why didn't they use Aaron Judge, Why didn't they use shoe Heyo Tani show Heyo Tani was on a plane halfway across the country. By the time the swing off took place, Aaron Judge had left the ballpark. I guess you can't make those guys stay, and so you're not, in all likelihood if you do that, going to get the absolute best to the best and the best. But I thought it was entertaining and there was some novelty to it. You know, inevitably, you were going to hear people suggest that we should decide regular season games that are tied after nine innings that way, I don't think we want that, because I don't think we want games being decided by how good the first base coaches at throwing batting practice. But for an All Star game, I thought it was cool. And now I think every year we're going to be rooting for extra innings in the All Star Games so we can get more swing offs.
Speaker 1: Very very nice. Well, listen, I have a fantastic weekend to continue to watch the golf. This is just mesmerizing to me. I'm sorry. Uh so, everybody, just just turn your radios off and turn on the open There's no reason to even listen to the rest of this moager. Have a fantastic weekend, brother, all right, I'll see you all right? Oh counselor how you doing?
Speaker 16: Thanks a lot, man. You're telling everybody to turn off the radio.
Speaker 1: Well no, see you can. You can leave the radio on and turn the TV on with the sound down, just like we have right here right now, and get the best of both worlds. Just um, why not? I hear you? So have you been been spent a lot of time on the Robling Bridge?
Speaker 16: Oh yeah, yeah, I went down there. I was right in the middle of the protest. You know, I want to do my part.
Speaker 1: Well, I see, I think they ought to put these protesters just to maybe part of a scared straight program, like I was talking earlier. Put him in the jail cell with a hard and criminal like the thirteen year old who was arrested at Red, White, and Blue ash for firing firecrackers at people. You know what, a few hours with that little animal and maybe they'll straighten up and realize where they've they've gone wrong. I'll tell you that is not a protest. No, it started that right.
Speaker 16: It was a riot. And you know, I'm gonna thank and congratulate the Covington PD and Rob Sanders. They ain't messing around with this stuff. Gary Jeff, you know, there's no citizen complaint authority that I know of in Covington, and it looks like they're going to back their cops. Good they hear from me and others.
Speaker 1: Well, somebody else made the point in an email to me earlier about about the protester and how someone on our news staff had referred to him as a minister. He was a chaplain at children hospital. Oh yeah, the guy there I'm on who got arrested right by Ice detained anyway, and he is on a terrorist watch list. I mean, you know, case closed then I guess, huh, well it should be. Yeah, you know, Joe Biden.
Speaker 16: Let's twenty five million people in this country nobody knows a damn thing about. And you know Trump is trying to clean the mess up. I get them out of here. And this is the stuff you gotta deal with.
Speaker 1: Right, Well it's it's not And you heard about the story this morning about a car plowing into people in Los Angeles, thirty people hurt. I did not hear that, and you know we I'm being told we got it okay, but yeah, check that news story. Well that's breaking this morning. Mike Allen, Saturday, midday next and the after the show show. We'll be at Huddles today, probably watching golf for the first couple of hours. If if you like that sort of thing and cold beer, it'd be the perfect place for you. Will see you.
Speaker 13: Then.
Speaker 22: It's warm outside, so you probably aren't thinking about your chimney, but Vanderhar Fireplace wants to remind you that this is the perfect season for cleaning and maintenance. Vanderhar Fireplace is the premier chimney sweep and cleaning service in Cincinnati and offers expert masonry repair and servicing. A cracked or damaged chimney is hazardous to your home's health. Make sure your chimney is in top shape and ready to use when the temperatures drop this fall. Visit vonderheart dot com today or call five one, three, two four, two eleven ten. Our service is over the top. Vanderharf fireplace, masonry and roofing need transportation to VA medical appointments.
Speaker 7: The cl