Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Tuesday, we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property, And for this week of July seventh, we are continuing with Lost season three, Episode six I Do, in which we discover that Kit was a fugitive? Did you make that? Five?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, How.
Speaker 1: Goodness for these flashbacks, for filling in the history of these people. It's so fascinating. Who would ever have guessed that? Oh my gosh, And we stop Nice to See Nathan Filly in Nice to See You, I forgot you were in the show, and here you are for one episode being an idiot.
Speaker 2: Why if you are a fugitive do you choose to marry an officer of the.
Speaker 1: Law Because she's complicated.
Speaker 2: The heart wants what it wants, I guess, yeah, And I don't know she maybe she wants to partially wants to be ah.
Speaker 1: Fraught psychologically. I should say that. I think what best sums up this episode for me is something that my husband said about three quarters of the way through. He said, I don't understand anything in this stupid episode. I like that pretty much. Why are these people doing what they're doing? This is stupid? Yeah, so, yeah, pretty much. The answer to your question is they had many, many, many episodes of television have to fill and they just had to They just had to fill them with stuff. Sometimes the stuff is amazing. Sometimes the stuff is uh or reaction right there. Sometimes that's what it is. But this is one of the ones that was like, yeah, okay, right, these are recognizable human motivations. But okay, right, right, Oh my.
Speaker 2: God, maybe they are. I don't know, so well, yeah, is it a recognizable motivation to change your name and marry a cop? In it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you're yeah in a church. Yeah, it's the whole thing is questionable. And then of course we have the Dawson's Creek version of Lost over on Other Island, where you know, teenage romance is driving the whole plot. Yes, I love her, but she's with him, and so now I'm going to do this thing that doesn't really strike back at them at all, But I'm just going to do it anyway. And I don't know why. Maybe it's so should get away? Oh guys, you know, really, can we just move on to the next episode. I feel like we've been here before. How long are we going to have to deal with this triangle?
Speaker 2: Right? And I was I was reading on last Pedia that this was like a little mid season cliffhanger situation.
Speaker 1: So after this there were thirteen episodes off, thirteen weeks off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'm glad I'm not in that scenario because that would be frustrating.
Speaker 1: This is what you leave me with.
Speaker 2: Mmmmmm hmm, no, thank you.
Speaker 1: Well Ben is hanging there with this kidney clip for thirteen weeks. Yeah, what will happen? Do we suppose he will live? I suppose? So, yeah, I'm thinking arguably the most interesting character.
Speaker 2: So so he's gonna be okay.
Speaker 1: If he died, now, your friend in the library would not have been saying yes, her favorite character. So I think you can you can imagine that there is more to come from uh mister Linus, but and that we will know things about his life led him to be the miserable little It's not that he is. Oh gosh, Sawyer and Kate, yeah, still don't get that there are cameras on them. And even if they did, it was broad down You guys, you're in a cage with the door open in broad daylight. I don't want to save this for when it's I don't know, a little darker outside. Right, even if you didn't know that there was a camera so that Jack could watch you, which of course there's a camera so Jack can watch you, not even yeah, in the corner. This long, you can hold back your mad passion a little bit longer. Be adult, human beings. You're not sixteen, stop it. Yeah, and parenting tip, tell your children, I know, I know you want a baby, but wait till dark.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And if a voice says open the door, that voice is leading you somewhere. You probably don't need to go yes, indeed. So now Jack is like, Okay, I've seen what's happened here. I'm going to do this surgery, but I'm gonna somehow Doesn't he know that they're on a different island? Or does he? Or he doesn't Maybe he doesn't he I think he doesn't. Yeah, so he's like, Kate run, She's got nowhere to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh well, I don't know. Maybe maybe she can swim.
Speaker 2: You know, how long is it between the Remember there was that episode where she and Sawyer went swimming down in that where there were like dead bodies and pulled their guns away from them and stuff. So yeah, she'll just do that.
Speaker 1: Did said? And and yes I did get back because he was with Lock, wasn't he? Yeah, but we have not seen is sun Jin and Son still out there on a boat somewhere? Maybe they could take her off?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we haven't seen that those two.
Speaker 1: Right, I've lost track of things. I don't think so, but they could pop up at any moment. Yeah, and any moment there all along.
Speaker 2: Right, were.
Speaker 1: Nicky and Pallo still hanging out, Yeah, still still there for.
Speaker 2: Still trying to make sure we know they exist.
Speaker 1: There for Echo's funeral out in the jungle. Their time will come, but it hasn't come yet. They're still I'm surprised by how long they were here. They're still here, still getting that one one appearance in every episode.
Speaker 2: Ah here, we remember us.
Speaker 1: Please keep remembering us for a few moments.
Speaker 2: Okay, ah oh yeah, she's here too.
Speaker 1: Just any more dogs in this show? I agree?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Where's what's he doing to.
Speaker 1: Vincent? They should just have like done a second show after this was over, of like the Adventures of vin What has he been doing all this time?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Is he just taking naps in the sun, which is entirely possible. This would be the entire show, would be Vincent sleeping and then and occasionally getting up to bark at a.
Speaker 2: Small monster or a polar bearing again, or.
Speaker 1: You know, a bug in the bush, or you know a small.
Speaker 2: Animal and just eating fish or berries or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yes, slow moving creatures to live live in the life. You know what would would make our dogs very happy about Lost Island. No motorcycle, no trucks. Vincent is like this is heaven. There are no motor vehicles anywhere. It is safe.
Speaker 2: I don't have to protect my people from anything, right, They're good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, these You're just going to ignore all the you know, the monsters and the evil others, but there are no as long as nobody's driving a car or a motorcycle.
Speaker 2: Or a bicycle, we have we have problems with bicycles here, we.
Speaker 1: Have problems with bicycles. Yeah, there's no bicycles. Yeah, so a shortage of wheeled conveyances in the area of the island that Vincent is on. So he's like, this is the place.
Speaker 2: Right, this is the place here. I like it. People keep disappearing, but you know that's that's just the way it is, I guess, And I'm going to just focus on the good parts.
Speaker 1: Right, right, which is no evil motors, right, excellent, love it. There was a hatch that blew up and that was kind of scary, but you know it was done and then it hasn't made any noise since no.
Speaker 2: Right, maybe Vincent can see into the future now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Desmond didn't really get to do anything other than look slightly crazy on the outskirts and like he really could use a comb. Yes, obviously somebody has gotten this man some shampoo and condition would they give him a comb? Right? Possibly a blow dry?
Speaker 2: Right? And he's found some clothes that are not Hurley's tie D T shirt, So I don't know where he got though. Was probably from Paolo I guess.
Speaker 1: Oh could be he's not going to be that wardrobe.
Speaker 2: But what are you eating? Sorry? The dog in the room is what are you eating? Oh? Okay, it's okay.
Speaker 1: We were talking and we were talking about a dog.
Speaker 2: And yeah, she has a phone and she like some expertise was called for.
Speaker 1: It's okay, you say there's a dog in the camp.
Speaker 2: She's eating a phone and she got a chunk off of it. Uh oh yeah, I'm just gonna pick that up. Hang out. Okay, you can go back to it now, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Sorry, it's okay. At one I think it was Locke said, I believe Echo died for a reason. I just don't know. That is the lost writer speaking directly to us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is the entire show right there.
Speaker 1: Figured it out yet, but there'll be a reason, there'll be something. Well, guy, just don't know. We'll get there eventually.
Speaker 2: Trust us, trust us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, he took their time. Yeah, but we need thirteen weeks to figure out what the bleeb were doing. You dig a hiatus, yep, everybody go I don't remember what the reason was for that at the time and how up and armous people were, but it seems like, you know, maybe maybe a little getting your bleep together would be useful. Yes, particular children.
Speaker 2: Everyone needs a break sometimes, even working, especially the teachers and the parents. That's why we have summer vacation, right, although summer vacation is not a break for parents the parents, No, it is a break for the teachers.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So something is going on with Alex and her boyfriend which is causing her to run around screaming.
Speaker 2: Yes, her boyfriend Carl, who was in the cage near Sawyer.
Speaker 1: Things are not looking good for him. No, And uh, something that I saw in lost Pedia And I don't know if it's a spoiler or not, but it's not really spoily. It's just there was a name mentioned for the first time in this app episode.
Speaker 2: Yes, Jacob, Jacob.
Speaker 1: Yes, somebody said Shepherd wasn't on Jacob's list, right, so just file that name away. Yes, it will come back to haunt us. They have thirteen weeks to figure out who the bleep that is, and boy do they right? But that is that is a name that will be I don't know how soon, but by the end, very significant, right.
Speaker 2: I don't remember how well it took them.
Speaker 1: Look on lost Pedia sometimes I look at the episodes ahead, the next few episodes, the next season, thirt episodes. It's like, oh man, I forgot about this, right, there's so much they burnt so much plot, poor little.
Speaker 2: Things, and do we ever like does Michael and Walt ever come back?
Speaker 1: I don't remember, and.
Speaker 2: They just like took off in that tiny crottle boat and it was like.
Speaker 1: I think everything is eventually recycled in one way. Yeah, so I know if if nothing else, there's a there's a video that was released after the series was over at the featured World, So but I think he was I can't remember. There was a lot I mentioned. There's a lot of plot in this thing, and there's a lot of plot that I remember, and there's some that's like I know something happened and I don't remember. So it makes me, uh means I can't spoil everything, so be glad. And there's always a possibility that I'll spoil something and then realize later, oh, wait a minute, that's not what happened. There's been a few of those so far. Or I was pretty sure something went one way and it went a different way, and it's like, oh okay.
Speaker 2: So in other words, don't trust. Don't trust Terry.
Speaker 1: I am an unreliable narrator, much.
Speaker 2: Like the others. Don't trust what they say.
Speaker 1: I'm messing with you. I'm representing the others in this endeavor. Yeah, So, parenting tip wise, I think that Kate's flashback teaches us that you never know when someone may secretly be a fugitive, So stay paranoid. Yeah, you know, your kids suddenly comes home with a friend you've never met before. Hmm, okay, but I'm watching you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, get some backstory.
Speaker 1: This is why you want cameras in your kids room and you know, car and everywhere, so she can get all the intel, right, something that also would be useful on duster, which we'll be discussing. Yes, so you know, she seems perfectly nice looking. How nice she looked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's nice enough to hand over a family heirloom.
Speaker 1: Right, she didn't keep it for herself after she drugged her husband and you know, probably ruined his career because dumb ass, you're supposed to be an officer of the law, but you married a fugitive. You didn't.
Speaker 2: I don't understand how it's something on her drugging him is gonna.
Speaker 1: Do so that they would know that he wasn't in on it, right, but supposedly is what they said.
Speaker 2: Almost I know, but it's and it's what Kate told him too when she did it.
Speaker 1: But the most such a thankless part for Nathan just he just got like four scenes of being a dupe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but.
Speaker 1: He says, I know this is real and true, Monica.
Speaker 2: And you're like, uh, Occa, that's the wrong show. What that's right? Oh?
Speaker 1: Did you think you were on Friends?
Speaker 2: Oh well, I mean everybody was on that show at some point.
Speaker 1: That's so no doubt. And uh this is something that would be difficult for parents to use, but it is certainly true of teenagers that romantic drama is a great motivator. You know, you want to get Jack to uh do your surgery. Well maybe he'll do it for Kate. Oh wait, he won't do it for Kate. Well maybe Kate was with the other guy, then he'll do it. That worked, So you know, you gotta see things the things that kids are really really Uh yeah, fine that to an unhealthy degree and.
Speaker 2: Use that to your advantage.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, either bribe them with more of it or threaten to take it away. You know, anger is a good motivator, so.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Also cameras everywhere can imagine that already.
Speaker 2: And we know that that Jack has plenty of anger to work with.
Speaker 1: Yes, he does have. We had a Jack flashback lately.
Speaker 2: We'll probably due for one.
Speaker 1: He's kind of a mess. This is the guy you want operating on your doing your spinal surgery. He probably won't hijack the surgery to get what he wants.
Speaker 2: He didn't know he needed to ask for a submarine as well as for a wakie talkie hard.
Speaker 1: Well, she asked to give him the Do you remember that? Do you remember the story that he told her in the first No? I don't either.
Speaker 2: I don't think did.
Speaker 1: I don't think lost Pedia provided that for us, did it?
Speaker 2: No, we would have to go back to the recap of that.
Speaker 1: First to the first episode. Okay, So, and I didn't feel motivated much. I guess we'll find out if and when she ever ever walkie talkies in bad Meanwhile, Ben is in mortal peril.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, But like you said, I'm not too worried about him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. Spoiler but another parenting tip or a parenting reflection, I guess, more like Sawyer tells Kate that he didn't let her know that they were on a separate island and would have to swim to get away because I wanted you to believe that you have a bleep chance, and you parents do that.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: It's like, we're not going to tell you the entire truth of the situation so that you are not in despair. Right, We're just gonna tweak it here and there. We're just gonna leave out this piece of information, and you have to do that. Yeah, I think that's defensible.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't think any kid wants to hear the full on facts right of life every day. That should not be their responsibility to deal with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. I mean I think that's a huge part of the motivation for parents. You know, just like you are a little kid, like or even a big kid, but you know you don't need to take this on, so yeah, I will do.
Speaker 1: Sometimes it blows up on you, yeah, and sometimes you maybe made a bad judgment call on that, but you got to make the call, right, you know, you can't just dump everything on them. Sometimes you have to lie a lot of wine here, right, which is not something you're going to read in your parenting.
Speaker 2: But we'll tell you the truth.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you the truth. Sometimes you have to tell stories and you know they will eventually blow up in your face and your child will say, what did you lie to me? And it's like I wanted you to believe that you have a bleep chance. Right there, there's your line.
Speaker 2: Just file that away. Thank you, Thank you, lost writers.
Speaker 1: Yes, there you go. So do we have anything else to say about this stupid episode?
Speaker 2: I don't think so. Like I said, I'm just glad I don't have to wait thirteen weeks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right. Yeah, this would have been a bad note on which to have to wait.
Speaker 2: Yeah, three months.
Speaker 1: It doesn't necessarily leave the greatest taste in your mouth and anticipation of what's what's gonna come next? Although, on the other hand, thirteen weeks is a long time for Ben to hang there on the opper Nick and his kidding.
Speaker 2: Probably somehow thirteen.
Speaker 1: Weeks will not have elapsed in the time of in the Racky Island time of our hero. Yes, exactly, you will be just right back here, right back here.
Speaker 2: Can't wait.
Speaker 1: Nicki and Palo still surprise. I didn't remember them being in these many episodes, But time will come anyway next Tuesday. Unlike those people who have to wait thirteen weeks, you only have to wait one straight to hear us continue with season three, episode seven of Lost Not in Portland, which I am happy to report is a Juliette flashback. Interesting somebody we have never seen before. What we discover about her and how she wound up.
Speaker 2: Awesome.
Speaker 1: Certainly at one point she was in Portland, yes, but and now.
Speaker 2: Now she's not anymore.
Speaker 1: And we will see you back here tomorrow to discuss Duster, which I feel like hast many of the same themes as this episode. Today we shall see yes. Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com. Slash shop slash mamitude, where you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.