Speaker 1: Step into a journey where every step is packed with purpose, insight, and empowerment. This is Walk with Wisdom with your host, Genevieve Wisdom. Walk with Wisdom is a dynamic podcast series designed for men and women forty and over who are ready to embrace their best years. Yet life at this stage isn't about slowing down, It's about leveling up. Each episode is a walkthrough guide to mastering life's transitions, rediscovering passions, and thriving physically, mentally, and emotionally. We bring you expert advice, real life stories, and actionable strategies to help you strive confidently into a future of vitality and fulfillment. So now please welcome the host of Walk with Wisdom, Genevieve Wisdom.
Speaker 2: Good afternoon everyone, Jennevieve Wisdom, host of Walk with Wisdom Podcasts, a lifestyle show on youthful aging. What is youthful aging? You say, it is looking good and feeling amazing as we age. Now, everyone, this is a new show, and I'm so grateful to those of you who have come back week after week. How many weeks it's our third week already. Can you imagine Yay Clapp in the chat. Those of you have been here for three weeks and we are going to have an exciting, exciting show today. I have a guest today with us, but before I introduce him in depthly, his name is Bruce Pollock. I am going to set up what the show is about today. So last week we talked about a few things. The podcast is primarily for groups forty and over. However, younger people find a lot of the information that we talk about very useful because it's the stage before you get to the stage, you know what I mean. So a lot of the things that Bruce and I will be talking about today will be invaluable to you. Couple of reminders, remember to share the link. You can send it out right now when you're on it. If anyone is on a late lunch one pm on the West Coast four pm on the East coast, please send out the link. And please, please please don't forget to make your comments because in the comments I get ideas, and so will Bruce today. As to what we can talk about further, now, without further ado, let me talk about what we're talking about today. The show is called Menopause. Menopause, and I am going to read Remember I mentioned to you that if you're looking for a perfect podcast, you have come to the well, this is a podcast on life. I still try to find the perfect life. You know, we just have to live it. So I make notes and sometimes I will look down, but that way keeps me on track for you and especially Bruce. So first things first, I'll do Bruce. I'll do the intro to the show, then Bruce's formal introduction. So today, menopause, menopause. If you've been searching for real talks and real solutions around hormonal disruption in middle age, you're in the right place today because we're taking a different approach when we talk about menopause and menopause. Remember, we never leave the men out. Most of us jump straight too. Hot flashes, brain fog, anxiety, poor sleep, stubborn weight gain, and mood swings sound familiar. However, what if I told you the real starting point for hormones and hormonal disruption is the gut. Yes, the gut, gut health. What does it have to do with menopause? You're probably asking get ready for mind blowing connection. You may not have considered. Your gut is your foundation and it's foundational to your body. And you know from the last shows that I like foundations because we stack, we stacker health right, and so foundationally the gut is the root of everything, an analogy we wash the car before we polish it. I have a lot of mentors who have all these little tidbits that will help us remember things, and so that means we need to start up the root of hormonal disruption, which is the gut. And unhealthy gut doesn't just lead to digestive issues. It fuels high cortisol or LI detalks brain inflammation, nutrient efficiencies, making your body symptoms worse. If your gut isn't working, you're definitely going to experience some of those symptoms we talk about. They're also hormonal players in gut health or gut disruption. I will let Bruce talk about those. So let's dive in. If you're tired of feeling sluggish, overwhelmed, and out of balance, this episode is your first step in reclaiming your vitality. Get ready for breakthrough insight expert, additional wisdom from Bruce, and practical steps that will have you saying why didn't I know this before? So without further ado, I will introduce formally or guest today, mister Bruce Pollock, Hi Ruth, thank you so much for joining us. So I am going to let those who have never met you out there hear what not just myself, but many that I know think of you. So again, I made a quick note on Bruce and his background. He just wanted it to be quick. So I think Bruce is a health translator extraordinaire on this episode of Walk with Wisdom. Bruce a seasoned homeopath, a businessman, a natural health expert with decades of experience in the wellness space. Bruce has a gift for taking the complicated and making it simple, breaking down the science of health into easy, actionable steps. He's passionate and I know this firsthand. Verse He's passionate about helping people take control of their well being. His insights, his additional wisdom added to mine, and practical tips for living gives a most health a more healthy and balanced life. Get ready for a conversation that will inspire, educate, and empower you, and closer to the end of the show, I'll have Bruce's contact because the whole idea of being on this show is to be able to be able to talk to the guests, my valued guests. Afterwards, Thank you Bruce for being here. How are you feeling today?
Speaker 3: Doing good? Gennevieve, thanks for having me. I'm excited about the show.
Speaker 2: Absolutely absolutely, And Bruce, as I mentioned, this show is a show about life. It's I call it youthful aging, which in the world of anti aging, we all age, wouldn't you say, Bruce from We're Born.
Speaker 3: We all do?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, absolutely, So I didn't want to go with an anti aging platform. It's youthful aging. And you, Bruce, are so pivotal, You're foundational as our guest here or inaugural guest, and so let's have a conversation. I made some questions to ask you. I mentioned to Bruce everyone that show is going to be about men posmoopause, and again, Bruce does those things that are just so foundational. I go to him often with many questions, and so talking about menopause and menopause. Yes, however, the gut is foundational, which is what Bruce reminded me. So, Bruce, why is the gut foundational as we age, especially in the context of menopause and menopause.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's such a big question, you know, the gout course is digestion. We absorb our nutrients through digestion and eliminates the toxins. That's that's the beginning. But eighty percent of our immune system comes from a healthy gut. The healthy gout also creates the neurotransmitters glutamate, GABBA, serotonin, dopamine, which are all mood transmitters. So to have a good mood and be healthy, you need a healthy gut.
Speaker 2: Excellent, excellent. Now, the newer transmitters will talk about because in the context later on where we'll go deeper about hormones or mood is off and off. But if we think about automatically getting something to deal with the mood and not taking care of the gut, it's not really gonna help, is that what I heard?
Speaker 3: So what you heard? Interesting fact Actually why we're talking about this is people with IBS are twice more likely to have anxiety and depression than people without and it's just because of that healthy gut isn't there with them. So it's a really in your face fact that we need a healthy gut to have a healthy mind.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's amazing, And I've heard this about the gut. I'm sure you all have Please comment on that. I see some of the comments coming in and that's great. Please keep them coming. What is it, Bruce? What are the main factors that cont tribute to one onhealthy gut? Is that the way I should ask the question at all? The healthy gut? Or do we want to talk about it in the context of what contributes to a healthy gut? You let me know?
Speaker 3: I think first, yeah, first we should talk about what a healthy gut is. So most of us heard that. Most of us have heard the term microbiome. But we're actually talking about is microorganisms living in our gut system. And there's trillions and trillions of them. Some people say there's up to six pounds worth of these micro in our gut. Sorry about that, tripping over my tongue. So ideally we have a balance. There's always a balance in the gut. The question is is it balanced the healthy side or the unhealthy side. If it's bounced the healthy side, then your gut is able to make these neurotransfers we talked about, it's able to fight off the viruses and things that are trying to get into the bloodstream. They do this by building a wall between the gut lining and the virus or the microbe that's trying to get into the bloodstream. If you don't have that, then these viruses can go straight into bloodstream and cause a lot of trouble. They also eat fiber. You've heard fiber is a good diet, good for the diet. Well, fiber not only helps you eliminate toxins as well as lowerer cholesterol by absorbing the bio but the micro organisms eat the eat the fiber, and the byproduct is short chain fatty acids which contribute to my fusil immune system in the in the in the gut, which is your very first layer, after the after the layer of the of the gut. So it's really really important to have these these things built up. When we don't have them, then we're not making the neurotransmitters, we're not fighting off the viruses, we don't have the immune system. How many people do you know say I get the first cold, I'm the first one you get a cold every time. The odds are they don't have a good, a good solid gut foundation.
Speaker 2: That's really interesting, Thank you, Bruce. And do you know everyone I have these stories, Bruce that everyone is probably used to buy now. And by the way, everyone I know Bruce, I know Bruce personally, and you know that's how I know. Just his wealth of information is really really super helpful. And when you hear all these buzzwords, like you've heard microbiome, which Bruce touched on, he ties in everything together as well. So one of those little things that I've heard in the past my stories that people know that I talk in is if you fix your notes, you hear your toes. So you've talked about microbiome, got immune system. It all is intertwined, interlaced, isn't it. Bruce?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And then you can go further and start telling it into the hormonal system as well down the road in our conversation because everything is everything.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Remember folks, one of Genevieve's little stories about her mentors. I have had many, many incredible people mentor me and Bruce. I don't know if you know this, but I consider your mentor because I think I have a gift as well. You know, people come to us, they have questions. It's very very complex. They have it with all the medical jargon and they don't quite get it. How does it work for me at my level? So we take that and we make it simple. And so yes, you're one of my mentors as well. So if you fix your nose, you hear your toes. Bruce, I'm gonna go to the next question about God because remember everyone got is foundational. You didn't think about God in menopause. Menopause, well, Bruce and I are here to tell you one hundred percent connected and you need to start there. So the next question, and God is got is how does stress impact gut health?
Speaker 3: All right, that's a really important question because dress is actually one of the main contributors to poor digestion as you get high cortisol, and high cortisol is a stress reaction to being under stressed. So in the days of the sabertoothed tiger, the sabertooth tiger would pop up, adrenaline would hit you. You'd run the first one hundred yards and now it's tracking you. You need more energy to keep going, so cortisol would come in and keep you moving. And unfortunately, this is the flight flight reaction, and this is what we get into when we get stressed, is this fight or flight, And so we fill up with cortisol, which lowers our progesterone, thus hormones, which we'll go into a little more detail later. But the high cortisol actually does a number of things to the gut. One, because your body feels it's under this flight flight, so it has to run from the sabertooth tiger. It puts all its energy into running, so it's not putting anything to digestion. So you're getting all sorts of undigested food dropped into your lower digestion track, which causes hyperfermentation, which causes leaky gut, and down the road these other chronic digestion diseases as well. On top of that, it actually changes the microbiome from healthy to unhealthy because again it's not concerned about digestion, it's concerned about survival. And then finally it works with the proteins that control the access between the gut and the bloodstream. The gut has to open up at times to let the nutrients through. The problem is is once you get the high cortisol, these onnulins, which are the proteins, they open up all sorts, and they open up too much, so now you're getting all the viruses and the bacterias and feces. If you would being dropped into your bloodstream. So now you're going into huge inflammation from all this stuff going into your bloodstream as well as your body's working over time trying to clear it out.
Speaker 2: Wow to the question, Okay, yes you did. Actually, Now everyone you see how this is a cascade. One of the words that I love because again going back to if you fix your nose, you hear your toes. Bruce just told us so many different things happen with a healthy or unhealthy gut. When things open up and we get what we don't want in the bloodstream, how is that going to affect us when we go through the change which we're coming up with. When your bloodstream is already filthy, things are not really getting from your gut where they need to get to. Your digestion isn't working properly, so there's no way your hormones are going to work properly. And remember this is a walk. We're going going to walk with wisdom, so we talk about these questions. Bruce, you're doing a phenomenal job doing a foundational explanation.
Speaker 3: Folks.
Speaker 2: This isn't easy. I know, menopause is all over the place. You haven't heard of menopause, Bruce and I are going to touch on that later, but you haven't heard of it this way. And that's why a lot of clients that I've seen in my life coaching practice Bruce has seen in his counseling and coaching practice on health and nutraceuticals, we don't get the results because we're not dealing with the root cause we're not treating the body as a car. Bruce, you may have missed this, but one of the stories I told last week was one of my mentors a wise man, and I said, the wise man is sometimes a wise woman. Often a wise woman said, if you fix your nose, you heal your toes. So that's why we're talking about all the digestive issues first, so that when we deal with the symptoms of menopause and menopause that we run to you guys will understand. And then if we fix your nose, we're going to fix the gut. Foundationally, we'll be able to get answers from these hormones. Bruce, we're going to be taking a short break and so oh, I think what we'll do is ask a question after the short break. But until then, folks, please make your comments and what I wanted to let you know is if you wanted to reach out to me specifically, because you know, when we're on the open media, it's great. We're one big family and I want you to be a part of the Walk with Wisdom family. But maybe you have specific questions, don't hesitate to email Wisdom at Walk with Wisdom dot ca. Wisdom at Walk with Wisdom dot Ca. I'll double check with Bruce on his best contact later on. And right now, everyone, we're going to take a short break so that or sponsors can give us some invaluable information. Thank you, and don't go away. Come hi, everyone, Welcome back to Walk with Wisdom. I am Genevieve Wisdom, your host, and today we have Bruce Pollock. Bruce is incredibly knowledgeible on how we get to move through things that affect us as we go through useful aging, useful aging, looking good and feeling amazing as we age. I invited him here to talk to us about hormones, menopause, menopause, and then Bruce in his true incredible style, because here's the thing we can talk about, a thing we can throw supplements and many many different kinds of modalities to a thing like menopause. Menopause, but if we're not getting rid of the result, it's for not. Bruce is incredible at saying great, we'll get there. That's the symptoms. Let's do the foundation. So we started out talking about GOT right verus absolutely absolutely, So the GOT is foundational to what we're gonna talk about next. So I have another question here for you, Bruce, what is the connection you mentioned cortisol and cortisol is one of those hormones, So if you can explain to the audience what it is which you've been doing phenomenally, what is the connection between cortisol and gut health?
Speaker 3: I touched on that briefly in my last answer, but cortisol directly affects the gut in a numerous, numerous, numerous ways. Just to go over it quickly again, it changes a microbiome from healthy done healthy. Assume you add healthy microbiome to begin with, So now you're not breaking down foods properly. It stops digestion from working correctly, so you're getting undigested food into the lower digestion track, causing hyper fermentation, which is causing leaki gut. Ironically enough, Leaki got causes inflammation and information causes high cortisol, because cortisol is an anti inflammatory. So you get leaki gut which comes first, the chicken or the egg? Which comes first? The cortisol or the leaky gut? Right, it doesn't matter which. At some point you have to deal with both of them, because you can fix the gout all you like, but if you've got high cortisol, you're still going to have leaky gut. So it's one of those things you have to fix both of them to have a healthy digestion track, of course.
Speaker 2: And Bruce, thank you so much for that. Okay, I ask some of the things that I know you're thinking, and I'm seeing your comments. Thank you so much. Keep those comments coming, and remember to share the live with your friends, family, call all your cohorts that are out there, because we're new and getting your feedback on the topics that you'd like to hear, especially with learned minds like Bruce, is very invaluable to the show. So Bruce, like a lot of you, we've heard about cortisol. We've heard about of course, gut health and leaky gut. Can you dive a little bit more into what leaky gut really is I know you talked about tight junctions, et cetera. Can you go back around speaking specifically about that term leaky gut that's been thrown around recently.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and it is a relatively new term if you think about the whole history of health, So our gut, as I said earlier, it has to open up to let the nutrition nutrient through into the blood stream at some point. So in a healthy gut, you have the food coming in. It gets broken down the acid bath, it gets dropped into the small intestine where it gets absorbed into the body at that point, then it moves into the large intestine where it starts getting moved out of the body from there. So in the small intestine it's very premarable because that's how the nutrients get into the get into the body, get into bloodstream. The problem is is when you get high cortisol or you get under stress, which causes high cortisol or you start eating foods that well, one of my mentors called them non foods, the highly processed foods. Right, you start playing with the zonulins. The ziolins are the proteins that open up that control the tight junctions where the gout actually opens up to the blood stream, and so it just spos to open up a tiny bit just to let the nutrients through. But once things go bad, it starts opening wide up. Now again, you think about the things that are in our digestion track. They're not all good, right. We have we have food that hasn't been broken down. We have viruses that haven't been killed by the by the micro microorganisms. We have pathogens in there, and and we have feces down the road in the big colon or in the smallt story the big testine. So all these things can get into the can get into the blood stream if we don't have a healthy gut, because the god's opening up too much and it's letting all these things through. Now, when I say this, don't pitch your bread crumbs. Be careful with with what you're what you're thinking about. We're talking about molecules things on a molecular level. We're not talking bread crumb size holes in your gut or anything like that. But it's enough to let the bad stuff in. And now once you let the bad stuff in your bloodstream, now you've opened up Pandora's box when it comes to health and especially healthy agent.
Speaker 2: Absolutely absolutely, Bruce, thank you so much. That was a very very it was a visual explanation, and thank you for explaining to others like when we're talking and we're talking on the molecular level, but enough to cause some serious health effects and affect us as we age youthfully. Now, next question, how does poor gut health affect the liver? And I thought we would bring the liver in because I know you're going to tie it all into menopause and menopause. How does poor gut health affect the liver? Bruce?
Speaker 3: Okay, So the liver's job is to clean the bloodstream, and now you're dumping all this stuff into the bloodstream that doesn't belong, So you're going to overburden the the liver, which wasn't really designed to pull that kind of stuff out of the bloodstam So you've got the liver that's getting congested because it's pulling all this stuff that's a leaky gout is putting the bloodstream the liver's trying to clean out, Plus it's trying to remove all the hormones that your body is no longer using. So you've got an excess of hormones, especially through menopause, and you've got a congested liver through all these things that are going into the bloodstream through the leaky got So with this congestion happening, you're not removing the old hormones and you're not removing the jump from the liver either, So you're causing quite a problem and a toxic again, a toxic body if the body, the liver is not able to move this stuff through it. So you're causing a bit of a problem that point.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Now I know a lot of you. And by the way, I always take a moment to thank you for your comments. I love it when it's really active. And again, if you want specific questions answered, please don't hesitate to email me directly Wisdom at with Walk with Wisdom dot CAA, Wisdom at Walk with Wisdom dot ca A, and that's my email. You can definitely go go ahead and email me there. And also Bruce if you wanted to talk to Bruce more specifically personally based on what he said, because Bruce does consultations, pardon me one on one consult His email is Bruce b R U C Underscore Pollock po l A C K AT yahoo dot ca A Bruce Pollock at Yahoo dot ca A. So, Bruce, we're gonna keep going on the liver, Okay, all of you your comments, stop me talking about the liver, Bruce. There's so much stuff about the liver, and we talked about the gut and the liver connection. Now you mentioned that if the gut is leaky, and you talked about leaky gut, then it's more things for the liver to have to filter. Is that correct?
Speaker 3: Correct? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Perfect, Bruce. I'm not hearing you there. I look like you said correct, but I didn't hear you. Can you repeat?
Speaker 3: Just make sure we haven't.
Speaker 2: Yes? Perfect, you said correct, excellent, And so so you know how you said before, what came first, the chicken or the egg? Is it leaky gut? Because and the reason why I'm talking about the liver a little bit more so, I have a further question to that is what happens when the liver becomes congested? And I'm wondering if you could kind of tie that back into the gut. What came first? Is it the leaky gut that causes congested liver or is it some the liver that causes leaky gut? And then it's a two part question. And then really in the context of youthful aging and hormones, breaking.
Speaker 3: Down the hormones, so the leaki gut tends to come first before the congested liver because that's what causes the congested liver. So you get the leaky gut and you get all this stuff going intor bloodstream. The liver has to work over time to try to get rid of it, and it gets congested. Now the question was what happens once your liver becomes congested. Well, that's a wide and varied question because there's just so much that can happen because think about now, you're not moving the toxins from your body. So what's a cyst in your body? It doesn't matter where the cyst is, but what's a cyst. It's toxins that aren't being removed from body, right, So you have this toxic build up and it can take many, many different forms. Cysts is just one of them. That's an example, as well as skin problems because again you're not removing toxins. They've got to go someplace. The skin is one of your cleansing areas because toxins get pushed out the skin. So you have skin issues, you can have Oh it just goes on and on. But definitely high inflammation as well. There's there's no way around that. If you if your lyrics congested, you're high inflamed as well.
Speaker 2: Excellent, Oh wow, Bruce, And again everyone that's listening, you see these themes keep coming back through our discussion with Bruce. Everything is interrelated. If you fix your nose, you hear your toes. We're gonna start foundationally, which is why Bruce, in his eloquent way and in his wisdom wink wink said, Genevieve, let's talk start with gut health before we go into all the symptoms of menopause. And of course, folks, we're going to have some amazing ways to fix it. However, today we have to start foundationally, get to know one another and see what came first, the chicken or the egg. So going back a little bit more here, so again everyone remember the context of menopause. Menopause, one thing that happens is of course brain disruptions like you know, sleep, et cetera. So Bruce mentioned the gut has a major role that it plays in Neuer transmitters, which I never heard of that you think of your brain, you go, oh, well, everything has to do with your brain, and oh, Bruce, I have heard of Let me ask you. I thought of another question everyone, because Bruce does this to me, My brain just fires because you know so much. So what does the gut have to do with newer transmitters and brain health in general?
Speaker 3: Okay, well, you can't have a healthy brain if you don't have a healthy gut. Just period. We've covered earlier. I mentioned that that the brain actually makes the ninety eight percent of neurotransfer Sorry, the gut makes ninety eight percent of the neuro transmitters. If you think about the neurotransmitters and actually put a label on them, what they do. Glutamate for example, memory and cognition, mood regulation. So if you don't have a good memory or your cognition is that you're not your brain isn't firing one hundred percent, it could be glued tomate gabba. It produces a commune effect. It's very good against anxiety, stress, and fear. So if you're an anxiety, stress and fear all the time, it could be a GABA issue. Serotonin digestion, nausea, sexual desire, even is serotonin. Dopamine gives you a feeling of pleasure and satisfaction and motivation helps controlling the memory, mood, sleep and learning, and concentration. So those are a few things. So if you've got a gut that isn't healthy, you're not making the neurotransmitters, you don't have that healthy brain. But you can also go further and go with the leak. Go back to leak you gut. Where you get all these pathogens being leaked into bloodstream, Well, many of them cross the blood brain barrier, the us of by brain barrier. They cause an inflamed brain. If they cause an inflamed brain, then your your your neurons aren't your your brain isn't firing properly. If it's not firing properly, then the microglia, this is the anti brain I call it. It comes along and trims your brain because it thinks your brain, these these things are supposed to be firing. It thinks they're not working properly, so it trims them off. And so you get this inflame brain and you're getting your brain trimmed off by by by the self defense mechanisms in the brain. So you have a very sluggish brain. And then if you have high cortisol, you have low pgesterone, which again we'll get into and pagestones are calm calming hormone, and so if you don't have that to calm the brain down, now you're firing on all cylinders the fight and flight reaction that we're talking about earlier. So you're firing your adrenals to kick more cortisol up, which causes more leaky got, more inflammation, and less progesterone. So the less progesterone, your brain is now in flight mode even further, kicking your dreanals up, causing more ports all, less progesterone, more leaky gut. So you've got this whole circular thing happening, and you're trying to think properly. Well, it's hard to think without enough neurotransmitters, without progesterone, and with an inflamed brain. Right, And as you keep saying it's all connected, it's all connected, There isn't there any isn't any of this that isn't connected to the other part of it.
Speaker 2: Wow, Bruce, I'm telling you, and I know from more valued listeners on the live. Remember everyone share the live, so everyone gets some of walk with wisdom today as Bruce brings just so much knowledge to this area of menopause and menopause and just talking about how the gut. Who would have thunk it? I mean, normally we just think these symptoms are happening and we don't go to the root cause, which is really the gut. Is that what I mean? And Bruce is that the root cost to a lot of these symptoms which we'll talk about later, that happens in menopause and menopause.
Speaker 3: There's absolutely there's two of them. And again the chicken of the egg, stress and gut, because stress is the other cause, because even if you had a perfect gut, if you go under stress, it will destroy your gut. So those are the two. And also stress of course plays havoc with your hormones as well. Directly, it plays havoc with your hormones by creating the cortisol, which lowers your progesterone. And if you take the cascade, you go from the DHA and it goes to either progesterone or then it goes down to testosterone, and and those ones on that side, including the thyroid. Well, if everything is going to the progesterone because you're a fight flight mode and your body believes it has to survive. Then nothing, not nothing, but very little is going the other way. And this is why often I see I see people being prescribed T one or T three, T two, T three the thyroid medication when they're really stressed out. It's because they're not getting the DH where it needs to go through the hypothema's peturitary access. So you've got all this, all this, all these hormones going to the progesterone to feed the cortisol because your body bleaves, it has to fight or flight, so it's in this run mode all the time, and you're not feeding the estrogen and testosterone on the other side, or the or the thyroid. So stress causes the high high cortisol, causes leaky gut. Leaky gut causes high cortisol, which throws out your So they're both, they're both part of the same animal. If you would.
Speaker 2: Perfect perfect, they're both bookends and not a perfection for us. Thank you Bruce for that. We're going to take a short break everyone and we'll be right back. Bruce is going to give us more knowledge around this incredible topic starting foundationally so we can get some relief in menopause and menopause. We'll be right back. Hi, everyone, welcome back to Walk with Wisdom. I'm Genevieve Wisdom, your host, and I have the amazing Bruce Pollock here today. And Bruce is explaining to us why when we hear the word menopause or menopause, or when we're at that stage, we don't just run to symptoms and hormones, We run to our guts. Have you ever heard such a thing? But when Bruce explains it, and by the way, everyone please share the life and here Bruce's wisdom. Bruce, I can't help but saying, you know it's your wisdom to add to my wisdom. You see how that works. And here Bruce's wisdom on this because it totally makes sense. If you ever wonder why we those of us who are going through it, don't get relief, can you see my finger, don't get relief? Is possibly because we are attacking it in a very very different way. Bruce. When you say kind of the backwards way, it's counterintuitive how we need to attack the stage of menopause and menopause isn't it.
Speaker 4: Well, you think when you're putting out of a fire, you don't. You don't throw water on the upper flames, you put it on the fire below, right, So you need to you need to hit the cause of these things, not just the symptomology of them.
Speaker 2: Love that, Bruce, I love that. I love analogies, and that was a great way for us to think about, you know, putting out this hot flash that's happening, having one right. Yeah, So Bruce, continue on your questions. So you mentioned cortisol, and cortisol is a major hormone. Everyone I know we're doing the big picture. Bruce is phenomenal at tying it up, bringing it back and tying it all up. So we talked about cortisol. You've probably all heard about cortisol, the hormone. Bruce explained, Bruce, if you can just repeat another mentor another word of wisdom. Repetition is the mother's skill. I got that from one of my mentors. You might all recognize that one. And so, Bruce, if you could please repeat what the cortisol hormone does, specifically how it affects the gout or the gut affects it, and then tied in to sleep and anxiety because we kind of left off on brain fight or flight, et cetera.
Speaker 3: All right, so quick review. High cortisol disrupts the microbiome, which stops the neuro transmitters from being made. So this throws mood into the issue. But high courtisol also there's some side effects of high courtisol that we haven't talked about. When is anxiety and when is wake you up in the middle of the night. So if you have high curtisol.
Speaker 2: Wait, I have that. Sorry, Bruce, I had to jump in and say I have that, and those of you who know me, no, I don't sleep, so forgive me, Bruce. High cortisol does that really, So.
Speaker 3: What generally happens is you get given something for anxiety and you get given something for sleep instead of something for your drenals which is producing all this cortisol, and also something to calm your brain down to stop the fight flight reactions going to your dreanals, which is again causing the cortisol. So when you think about high cortisol, you think about bad digestion, you think about newer transmitters, you think about inflame brain, you think about anxiety and waking up in the middle of the night. It's a multifaceted thing. And as I said, you don't even have to be under stressed have high courtosol. You just have to have leaky gut. But if you're under stress, it doubles and triples this. And I've had people come to you all the time saying I need something to sleep, Give me something to help me sleep, and it in fact what they need is something to support their dreanals so that the cortisol levels lower down.
Speaker 2: Wow, Bruce, have I come to you and say I need something to sleep? That sounded like me?
Speaker 3: Is he talking about?
Speaker 2: I'm not the only one, Bruce and everyone. That's why we're doing this show. Walk with Wisdom is really about just us having a talk at this level in our extraordinary lives. We hear the doctors and the stars and all these people talk about it, but this is like just being, you know, at home in your living room with a friend. For us to become friends and talk about these things and talk about it so real, so natural, not in a perfect way, you know. As you know, if I take about a minute to get ready, one of the reasons is because I don't sleep and I've gone to Bruce asking him for something to sleep, and he's going, well, let's talk about the adrenals, Bruce. I want to jump in for a moment, just for a guest who probably have never heard of the adrenals in the way that you're talking. Can you talk about the adrenals? What is the adrenals? Exactly?
Speaker 3: There are two organs. They sit on either side of your body, just above the kidneys, I believe actually, and they're really there to keep you alive when you're in a state of panic and shock. Again, adrenaline is a wonderful thing when you have to go run in and pull your child up a burning building, right or you have to you have to outrun that saber toothed tiger, Adrenaline is a wonderful, wonderful thing. Quota's all is a wonderful thing. When you're in that blizzard and you still have to walk ten miles to get to the nearest cabin where it's warm. You need that extra energy. You need this pumping into you, and you don't need digestion at that point. You need survival. So these things are are wonderful tools for us. The problem is with modern if you think about life modern we're designed to go what fifteen kilometers an hour, but we hop in our car and we drive one hundred kilometers an hour. We don't think about it, and we have all this world whipping by our eyes at one hundred kilometers an hour when we're designed to go fifteen. That stress. If you're watching TV and you watch a commercial, you count every three seconds they slice to another scene in a commercial. So you've got that coming at you, and you've got normal life coming at you, apparently, And I'm going to misquote this, so don't quote me on this, please, no bad comments. Forty years ago, we had like forty four thousand bits of information come at us a day. Now it's five hundred thousand bits of information coming at us a day because of our phones and because of computers. Well, you think about that. That's not what our brain and our bodies were designed to deal with. So we've got all this coming at us. We're driving at one hundred klometers an hour, we're designed to go fifteen. We watch TV and the cut cut, cut, cuts, and all this our brain is keeping up with. We've got all this information on our phones that our brain is keeping up with. We've got all these communications that our brain is keeping up with. This is all stress. This isn't something our bodies were designed to do. So you don't even have be a stressful person. You're just living in a stressful world. And it doesn't matter how calm you are, you're still you've still got all this information coming at you. So if we tie this back to cortisol and adrenals, it's very easy to fall into the fight flight because our body doesn't have eyes, right, it doesn't know what's going on. It only knows what the brain is telling. And the brain is saying we're under stress, were under stressed, were under stressed. Well, in the old days, that meant we're gonna die, right, it didn't mean that. You know, I've been dropped as a friend on my Facebook. This is we're gonna die. So that's what the that's what the body says when we're under stressed, is we're gonna die. We need we need to survive high cortisol, we need to get out of the situation. So this high cortisol just keeps coming at us and keeps coming as keeps coming at us because we're always stressed, and this is what's causing this and the gut are the root of ninety nine percent of all our problems, and it's just I think I believe it's that simple. Hopefully I made it simple.
Speaker 2: Absolutely well, you know everyone, and thank you for your comments. Bruce. We're getting some really great comments on everyone, you know, because you're actually giving a foundational explanation to hormones in the way that we've never heard it. And it's the gut, it's stress, and you know, we can talk further about it. But you did take a very complicated scenario and make it simple, right, folks. He's really good at that. That's excellent. Now I want to move on to a couple more things, and these are probably you know, everyone, we're touching on this. As Bruce says, you know, it's a big picture. So we're painting the big picture right now, and then we'll go deeper. So Bruce, you're probably gonna have to come back to go deeper because everyone, please send your questions directly to me, how it affects you personally, questions you may want us to ask. Bruce, could you come back. I'm gonna come and say am to come back for that would be awesome, Bruce, because then we can go deeper, and then we can stack. Remember everyone stacking. We start foundationally and we stack what we need to do to get better results faster. So along those lines, Bruce, just one more. We've talked about just so many things. Back to the gut. How does poor digestion contribute to weight gain? And the reason why I bring this up is in the context of menopause. Menopause because that's one of the symptoms we talked about. You know early in the intro.
Speaker 3: If the gut is not healthy, it can't break the minerals out from the from the food that's in the body, that's in the digestion track. If you can't break the minerals out, then your body is not going to function correctly and even dealing with the excess with the fats, the sugars, the oils, because it can't it's not healthy enough to do that, and so it stores it. So you get all this stuff being stored in your body because it can't deal with it correctly. And this is what the gut's supposed to do is deal with these things correctly. This is assuming we have somewhat of a healthy diet, because you know, you need supplements supplement a healthy diet. They don't supplement to McDonald's diet. Right, So if you're eating a healthy diet but you're still your gut's not functioning, you're still not going to utilize all that stuff. And so it's going to store it and it's going to start it till future, hoping that in future be able to utilize it. And this is where the weight gaing starts to happen. And then again with the liver being congested, you can't move stuff out of the body. Your toxins aren't being removed either, and the body has to deal with all the toxins and in fat. In fact, fat actually stores much much toxins. That's why when people do cleanses they tend to get headaches and skin issues and all that sort of stuff because a lot of the toxins are being released from the fat cells. So it's quite a Again, it's all connected to the beginning one to the ending of the subject. But we touched on it, if you don't mind me going off topic just a minute here, we touched on inflammation and I had a client coming and said I have a sore wrist, And I said, is there anything else, and she said, on my shoulders. Now you mentioned it, I've got tennis albow. My shoulder is sore, my knees are sore, and my hips are sore. And instead of doing the classic which we give her Kurkuman, which is antium anti inflammatory, I actually put her in a cut protocol and in one month all these pains had gone away because it was inflammation caused by leaky gut. So when we talk about inflammation, it's not just bulking up, it's not just being inflamed. It can actually cause physical problems. And this is what she was actually receiving with these physical problems in the joints. But it wasn't a joint problem. It was a gut problem. So there's more to this than just oh it causes inflammation, which causes high cortisol. It actually can cause problems in the body.
Speaker 2: Right, Thank you Bruce for that and everyone in the context of menopause menopause, as we get older or younger as I like to call it, so for those of us forty and over all, these inflammatory responses stack up and that's why is that why we get more pains and aches as we get older, because now we had a god issue, possibly for a long time. Bruce, I just want you to touch on this quickly for the younger audience because I actually have a lot of people who want to walk with wisdom in their youth, and I encourage that. I encourage the perry stage of everything, which means before we get there, what could we do to make when you get there easier? So you talk about pain, you talk about inflammation. What what is it that the younger audience could do. Potentially, let's just give one general diet tip that they could do to help with leaky gut, prevention of leaky gout, something along those lines. Is it, for instance, doing more alo. We've heard about alo. Is it like adding alo to a good diet? And you talked about diet being foundational, So if we had a good diet, is it adding alo? And that's for us to forty and over. But if you're trying to kind of prevent that inflammatory pain, like Bruce gave us the example, what could we do for a healthy gut dietarity just one thing? Because you're coming back, we need to go deeper.
Speaker 3: Yeah, most people are gonna hate me for this, so forgive me. But if you want to do one thing to really help moving into metapause to make it easier, give up alcohol. All calls art on the liver, and the liver is where all the hormones are being moved out of so if they congested, it causes much more difficult with menopause as well as it disrupts a microbiome and the gut and causes leaky gut, so it causes all that inflammation we've been talking about. That would be not necessarily give it up, cut it way back, and I actually can see the difference in a lot of my clients, the ones who really enjoy wine and the ones who have wine once in a while. The metopause is much easier for the ones to enjoy why once in a while as opposed to drink wine regularly. So that would be one easy tip just to make life life easier on you as you're going into the menopause stage. But really, liver and gut, those are the two big ones. Take care of those and metopause will be easier and stress so liver, gut and stress.
Speaker 2: Of course, of course, Bruce, that was really phenomenal. Thank you so much for those tips. So everyone, this again is in the context of menopause. Menopause, we started with the big picture, but the big picture is really starting foundationally. Bruce was here today with us to really let us know that we have to start with the gut. And with the gut he built, he stacked the different things we needed to do. We all get there. It's a gift to get there and what we want to do, which is why I have Bruce here to help us to do it with wisdom. Now, everyone remember to share the link. Bruce had such incredible information. We're not going away just yet, but I just wanted to kind of wrap up everything that he said in this last segment because Bruce, just to let you know to and the audience is commenting, you really have a lot of knowledge, and you do delineate it overall. Start big, but it's such a big topic, isn't it. It's a big time. So you start big and you actually put it in bite sized pieces so that we can really understand it. So everyone, again, I'm just going to wrap up a little bit and then we will come back. So Bruce digestion, leaky gut, giving up alcohol or cutting way back to make it easier on that gut and digestion and that will just help the body ease those symptoms because it will take the stress of the liver which breaks down or hormones and or food and all those menopausal symptoms. When I introduce the show today, everyone menopause, menopause, and the reason why we say menopause is because the men go through it. To what I heard, and we'll talk about this again, Bruce. What I heard is that men go through the actual manopause stage with that decrease in testosterone. We always look at tests maybe about a decade after women and it's a range of years, so we'll talk about that as well. Everyone, We're going to do a short break for sponsors. Thank you so much for joining us. Don't go away, come back right after this short break. Thank you, Thank you everyone for joining us today. Genevieve Wisdom, host of Walk with Wisdom. Bruce Pollock has been our guest today and Bruce has given us incredible information about menopause, menopause in the context of gut health. Bruce, we're gonna have to have you back. It's so much information and we really want our valued listen listeners to take notes, do a check as to where they are and come back to us next week next Friday for more results. Bruce, can you just give us like a thirty second wrap up again as to how the gut is foundational to menopause menopause.
Speaker 3: Specifically, healthy gut bounces the body. If the guts not balance, the body won't be balanced. It's just that simple. And we've been through at the leaky gut, the information, the cortisol, progesterone, the neurotransmitters. You need a healthy gut. If you don't have healthy gut, you don't have a healthy body. It doesn't matter how much you exercise, it doesn't matter how much you drink water. It just without a healthy gut, you won't be healthy. It's just that simple. It controls, it controls and is part of every option of the body.
Speaker 2: Fantastic, Bruce, Thank you so much everyone. What I want to bring on this show and my valuable guests like Bruce, is you may have heard these terms. Everybody's talking about it. A lot of us are going through it, a lot of us are preparing to go through it, but you may not have heard it this way. And what we want to do is have results fast, and we want to have results lasting. So when Bruce came to me, I've known him again many for many years, and he came to me with the gut connection to menopause menopause, I thought, that's it. We have to start there. It's foundational. That's Walk with Wisdom. You may have heard the terms, but you may not have heard it just this way. Thank you so much for joining us this week. I invite you to come back next week four pm Eastern, one pm PSD, and Bruce will be with us again next week. Thank you for joining us on Walk with Wisdom.
Speaker 1: This has been Walk with Wisdom with host Genevieve Wisdom. Tune in each week as Genevieve will present powerful guests who'll inspire you to make every step count, whether you're walking your dog, tackling your morning run, or enjoying a quiet moment with your headphones. Walk with Wisdom is your companion for redefining what it means to age powerfully and intentionally. Fridays, four pm Eastern on the Bold Brave TV Network powered by B two Studios. Take the first step with us, because wisdom isn't about what you've left behind, It's about everything that lies ahead.