Speaker 1: Welcome to another deep dive. You know how this works. By now we take some fascinating source material and we really get into the details today. What's all about Python? Using real world Python? A Hacker's Guide to Solving Problems with code. I actually think this is a great book for anyone, even if they're not super techy.
Speaker 2: Oh, I totally agree. It's written in a way that's really engaging, even if you've never coded before in your life.
Speaker 1: So yeah, definitely a great resource.
Speaker 2: Okay, so Python, Why Python? Everyone's talking about Python? What's the big deal?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, it's interesting because Python is used in so many different fields, like you see it everywhere, machine learning, data science, web development. It's really one of the most versatile languages out there.
Speaker 2: So if someone's just starting out, is this the language to learn?
Speaker 1: I'd say so. Yeah. One of the things that makes Python so popular is that it's incredibly beginner friendly, Like the syntax is designed to be readable. You know, it's almost like reading plain English, so it's a lot easier to pick up than some of the more complex languages out there. Okay, so it's easy to learn, but is it powerful enough to actually do serious stuff?
Speaker 2: Oh? Absolutely? I mean, it's used by major companies like Google and Facebook for some really complex tasks. So yeah, you can definitely do serious stuff with it.
Speaker 1: Okay, So this book, Real World Python, it takes this approach of teaching you to think like a hacker. So what exactly do they mean by that?
Speaker 2: So when they say hacker, they don't mean like the stereotypical, you know, guy in a hoodie breaking into computer systems. It's more about using your creativity and your problem solving skills to find clever and resourceful ways to use code to solve real world problems.
Speaker 1: Okay, so give me an example. What kind of hacker projects are we talking about.
Speaker 2: So one of the projects in the book is recreating the blink comparitor that was used to discover Pluto. Whoa, yeah, it's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: That's really cool. So it's like stepping back in time and reliving that historical.
Speaker 2: Discuss exactly, and you're doing it through code.
Speaker 1: Okay, I have to admit astronomy is not really my thing. Are there other projects in the book that might appeal to I don't know, maybe someone who's more into history.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely. There's a project that focuses on cryptography. Specifically the Rebecca cipher that was used in World War Two.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm listening.
Speaker 2: So the Rebecca cipher relied on a shared book between the sender and the receiver. You had to have the same book to decode the message. And in this project, you're actually using the book The Lost World as a digital one time pad.
Speaker 1: So it's like taking this historical technique, yeah, and bringing it into the digital age.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. It's a great way to see how Python can bridge the gap between, you know, the past and the present.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the book mentions all these different Python libraries. Can you break that down for me? What are libraries in the context of programming?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Python libraries are essentially collections of pre written code. They're like toolkits that give you specific functions and capabilities, so you don't have to write everything from scratch.
Speaker 1: So it's like having a toolbox full of different tools. Yeah, and you can just pick and choose the ones you need for the job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great way to think about it. You have libraries like open cv for computer vision, numb PI for working with a raise and matrices, map plot lib for creating plots and charts, and pandas for data analysis.
Speaker 1: So it's like having a whole workshop at your disposal.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and real world Python shows you how to use these tools to build some really cool projects.
Speaker 1: Okay, so give me an example a project that really showcases how these libraries can be used to solve a problem.
Speaker 2: Sure, there's a project where you play the role of a coastguard search and rescue director. You're tasked with finding a missing fisherman.
Speaker 1: Okay, that sounds intense.
Speaker 2: Yeah it is. You use something called bays Rule, which is a way of updating probabilities as you get new information to guide your search efforts, and you use the OpenCV library to create a visual interface with a map of the search area, so you can actually see how the probabilities change as you make decisions.
Speaker 1: So it's not just abstract math. You're actually using data to make real time decisions in a high stakes situation.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It's a really powerful example of how Python and these libraries can be used for practical problem solving.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's really cool. Now I'm seeing how this all comes together.
Speaker 2: And that's just one example. There's another project that uses OpenCV for face recognition. You build a system that can identify individuals based on their facial features.
Speaker 1: So like how your phone unlocks with your face.
Speaker 2: Yeah, kind of like that. But in this project, you actually train the system yourself using a set of images, and then you can use it to control access to a secure area like a lab or something.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's straight out of a spy movie, I know. Right, So we're talking about real world applications here, yeah, not just theoretical stuff.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And it gets even more interesting. There's a project that explores data visualization using core pluff maps.
Speaker 1: Core a pluff maps sounds little intimidating.
Speaker 2: They might sound complex, but they're actually pretty easy to understand. It's basically a map where different regions are shaded different colors based on some data points like population density or election results. You've probably seen them before, Okay, yeah, I think I have. Well, in this project, you use a korapleth map to visualize population density across the US. Okay, and why would I want to do that?
Speaker 1: Well, here's the twist. You're using it to plan an escape route during a zombie apocalypse.
Speaker 2: Okay, now you're speaking my language, so you're telling me I can use Python to survive a zombie apocalypse.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a fun way to learn about data visualization and how it can be used for planning and decision making even in extreme situations.
Speaker 2: I'm sold. So we've gone from discovering planets to outsmarting zombies, all with Python.
Speaker 1: And we're just getting started. There's even a project that explores the simulation hypothesis, the idea that our reality is actually a computer simulation.
Speaker 2: Whoa, Okay, we're getting into some deep philosophical territory now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's one of the things I love about this book. It doesn't shy away from the big questions, and it shows you how computational thinking can help us approach these questions in new and interesting ways.
Speaker 2: Okay, my mind is officially blown. I know, right, I've covered a lot of ground already. We have, but I feel like we've only just scratched the surface.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've only just begun to explore the possibilities of Python. So you want to dive back into that simulation idea? Yeah, I mean it's kind of freaky but also really fascinating to think that maybe our whole reality is just code.
Speaker 2: It is pretty mind bending. But you know what I like about real world Python is that it doesn't just dwell on these super abstract concepts. It brings it back down to earth with practical stuff you can actually use.
Speaker 1: Okay, good because as much as I love a good existential crisis, I also want to know how this can help me, you know, in my actual life.
Speaker 2: Right, So, like, have you ever heard of stylometries?
Speaker 1: Stylometry? Is that like some kind of fancy haircut?
Speaker 2: Haha? No, it's actually the study of linguistic style, like how you can analyze someone's writing to identify them or to figure out, you know, if they wrote something like a literary fingerprint exactly. And one of the projects in the book has using Python to compare the writing styles of different authors like Arthur Conan Doyle and HG. Well's.
Speaker 1: That's so cool. I could totally see that being used in like, yeah, historical research.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, definitely, or even in like forensic science to analyze handwriting samples.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we talked about this earlier, but can we get back to text summarization because I feel like that's something that could be really useful.
Speaker 2: Well for sure, I mean we're drowning in information these days, so being able to condense large chunks of text into shorter summaries is super valuable.
Speaker 1: Right, Like, think about all the time you could save if you didn't have to wade through yeah, pages and pages of reports or articles exactly.
Speaker 2: And one of the projects in the book focuses on summarizing Martin Luther King Junior's I have a Dream speech.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a classic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it breaks it down into its core message using Python.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And there's another project that introduces a library called gensim, which is specifically designed for text analysis.
Speaker 1: Another library. I'm starting to see a pattern here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Python has a library for pretty much everything.
Speaker 1: That's amazing, right.
Speaker 2: So anyway, this project uses Jensen to summarize Admiral William H. Mcraven's make your Bed speech.
Speaker 1: Oh, I've heard of that one. It's all about, you know, the importance of starting your day off. Okay, this is all super cool, But I'm a visual learner. Is there a way to make text summarization a little more visual?
Speaker 2: I'm so glad you asked that, because the book also covers word clouds.
Speaker 1: Word clouds, Yeah.
Speaker 2: They're visual representations of text where the size of each word corresponds to how frequently it appeared.
Speaker 1: So it's like a visual summary of the tex exactly.
Speaker 2: And one of the projects, yeah, has you creating a word cloud from the Sherlock Holmes story The Hound of the Basker Pills. And to make it even more fun, the word cloud is shaped like Sherlock Holmes himself.
Speaker 1: Okay, that is awesome. I know. Word clouds could be so useful analyzing social media trends or getting a quick overview of customer feedback total.
Speaker 2: And the book introduces you to the word cloud library, which makes creating these visualizations super easy.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've gone from ancient ciphers to modern data visualization techniques. It seems like Python can do just about anything pretty much.
Speaker 2: And speaking of pushing boundaries, let's talk about astronomy.
Speaker 1: Kevin tried.
Speaker 2: So there's a project in the book that focuses on identifying exoplanets, you know, planets that orbit stars outside our solar system.
Speaker 1: WHOA how does Python help us find those?
Speaker 2: So it uses a technique called transit photometry. Imagine a firefly passing in front of a spotlight. You'd see a slight dip in the brightness of the spotlight.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 2: Well, transit photometry is kind of like that, but on a cosmic scale. When a planet passes in front of its star, it blocks a tiny bit of the star's light. And Python is used to analyze the light curves, which are graphs that show the stars brightness over time, and look for those dips.
Speaker 1: So it's like looking for a needle in a haystack, but.
Speaker 2: With code exactly. And it's amazing because Python can actually detect these incredibly tiny changes in brightness.
Speaker 1: That's insane, you know, right. So does the book actually like get into the nitty gritty of how this works?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it goes pretty deep. It covers concepts like limb darkening, which is where stars appear dimmer at their edges than at their centers. There's even a project on detecting an exerplanet with a moon, which would create a unique signature in the light curve.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's your next level stuff.
Speaker 2: It is, but the book breaks it down step by step.
Speaker 1: I'm seriously impressed with this book.
Speaker 2: Me too.
Speaker 1: Okay, so before we completely lose ourselves in space, I remember seeing something about a MLA map.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, the Mars Orbiter Laser Altimeter map. It's basically a detailed topographic map of Mars. Okay, and the project in the book uses this map to help you select potential landing sites for a Martian lander.
Speaker 1: So we're not just finding exoplanets, we're also planning missions to Mars.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: This is too cool.
Speaker 2: It's a great example of how Python can be used for real world old mission planning. You're essentially acting as a Martian real estate agent.
Speaker 1: Ah for robots. This book is really making me rethink what's possible with coding.
Speaker 2: That's what it's all about.
Speaker 1: It's not just about writing lines of code. It's about exploring and problem solving and discovering new ways to understand the world.
Speaker 2: Couldn't just set it better myself?
Speaker 1: Okay, so remember that zombie apocalypse scenario.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, with the core Pleth maps. Well, the book goes into a lot more detail on how you can actually use Python to plan a safe escape route. It uses US census data to map population density and guide you away from those densely populated zombie infested areas.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about surviving, it's about surviving.
Speaker 2: Strategically exactly, using data to make informed decisions. That's brilliant and The project introduces you to some cool libraries like pandas for data manipulation, Boka for plotting, and hall of Use for creating interactive visualizations.
Speaker 1: Wow, this deep dive is just the beginning. There's so much more to explore.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, real world Python makes that very clear. And speaking of exploring further, I feel like we could talk about Python forever.
Speaker 1: Right, I mean, we've gone from discovering planets to surviving zombie apocalypses.
Speaker 2: It's crazy the range of stuff that you can do with it.
Speaker 1: It is, but you know what, I'm curious about all those everyday tasks. Can Python help with those? Two?
Speaker 2: Definitely? Like think about all the things you do on your computer that are kind of repetitive, like renaming files or converting them.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that stuff can be such a pain.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and Python can automate all of that.
Speaker 1: So it's like having a personal assistant.
Speaker 2: Kind of, but you're the one programming the assistant. I like that, and you can customize it to do exactly what you need.
Speaker 1: Okay, but be honest, learning a whole new programming language, yeah it sounds kind of intimidating.
Speaker 2: I get it, But that's what's so great about real world Python. It starts with the basics, like the syntax and the core concepts, and then it gradually builds up your skills through those projects we've been talking about.
Speaker 1: So it's like learning any other language exactly.
Speaker 2: You start with the alphabet, then you learn some words, and eventually you can have a conversation.
Speaker 1: That makes sense.
Speaker 2: And the key is to practice. Don't be afraid to make mistakes. That's how you learn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the book really emphasizes that.
Speaker 2: It does. It gives you the foundation, and then it encourages you to experiment.
Speaker 1: It's like the book gives you a map.
Speaker 2: And then you get to choose your own adventure exactly. And even after you finish the book, it gives you a ton of resources.
Speaker 1: For further learning. So it's really just the beginning it is.
Speaker 2: Python is a journey, not a destination. I love that, and it's a journey that's accessible to anyone.
Speaker 1: That's what I hope people take away from this. Python isn't just for you know, computer science geniuses. It's a tool that anyone can use to solve problems, to analyze data, to be more creative. Absolutely so, if you've ever been curious about coding, but maybe felt a little intimidated. Give real world Python a try.
Speaker 2: I highly recommend it.
Speaker 1: It's a fun and engaging way to learn a really valuable.
Speaker 2: Skill, and who knows, you might just discover a passion you never knew you had.
Speaker 1: Will said, Okay, I think it's time to wrap up this deep dive into real world Python. It's been a blast, it really has. We've learned so much. You have and I hope you have to, So until next time, happy coding, everyone,