Speaker 1: Hi, Welcome. This is doctor John de Martini. This is one of the most amazing and inspiring shows that you can listen into. If you want to be on the edge of your seeds, if you want to open up your heart, if you want to expand your mind, and you want to meet incredible people, stay tuned because you're just about to experience a transformative radio show that will change your life. And you're listening to The Doctor Pat Show is coming up right next.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Doctor Pat Show Talk Radio to thrive by powerful, inspiring and coming to you live, bringing you stories of people like you and me busting through and living life full out. Get ready to dare to wonder what your life would be like if you knew you could not fail.
Speaker 3: Okay, everyone, you know I do these interviews, and y'all know me. I've been doing it for a long time. We're coming up on our ten thousand interview. But every once in a while, I come across somebody Doctor Shuey today is one of them. But I come across somebody who is onto something. And what I mean by that. It could be a book, it could be art, it could be music. Today it's a movement and That's what I want to talk about. For those of you out there, if you don't know who, doctor Kevin Shoey is, Board certified cancer specialists. He's been in private practice, still practicing, still saving lives, still helping people for over thirty five years. But now and then he got the creative bug, and that creative bug turned into a creative bug, turned into what we like to look at as the Bad Love Gang. Today, we're going to walk you through what the latest is coming out of this creative genius.
Speaker 4: But even more importantly, what the heck.
Speaker 3: Or people saying bad Loves strikes, and that is It's won six prestigious awards, it has won more accolades. It is the most incredible movement when you talk about screenplays and scripts and so all of us are like, let's get it out there. But more importantly, are you ready to take a journey? Are you ready to look at what it's like to move ahead in time? Are you ready to do that but then also go back in time? Doctor shewe It's so great to have you here today. Boy have you been busy?
Speaker 5: Yeah, doctor pat, it's so good to be back with you. I think it's probably been more than a year or so since we visited the last time, and you know, to my recollection, I think this is the first time we've actually visited face to face. I think we've really like done audio interviews. So it's so good to just be sitting here kind of in the office your living room with you right now.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 3: You know, I grew up and my childhood wasn't the greatest and so my escape were escape things. So had this been a book when I was growing up, I would have been the first one to get it. Had there been an introduction to what we're calling right now is you know, many people may not know this the Bad Love Gang and the series of books and screenplays and other things you've done, I would be one of the first people standing out there in lighte because this was my way of taking a trip to the world of possibilities. Now carry that forward. Hence that's the network I created. But for you, this is such a beautiful journey of courage and understanding and so much more. And I want to ask you since the last time we've talked, what has changed for you? And how has this version what we're talking about today, right we're talking for those Bad Love Strikes.
Speaker 4: How has this changed you?
Speaker 5: Well, I think it's really giving me a lot of optimism for the future, because you know, I've I've spent I'm starting my fortieth year as a cancer doctor July first, even though I look so young.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you and me both right, don't we look good?
Speaker 5: And so you know, I started writing the book series in twenty nineteen and then so I wrote the first four books, working on book five now, starting with Badlove Strikes, which is really We've come. You know, you and I talked about how we come full circle?
Speaker 4: Doctor show.
Speaker 3: We look you talked about full circle. Let's talk about it because you were talking about the screenplays and I didn't even begin to touch on the accolades around this. I mean, you've got to be like giddy inside. But what is that like for you? I mean I ask you the question, what has changed? And how is this experience changed for you?
Speaker 5: Yeah? So, I mean who would think that, you know, this cancer doctor of forty years would write these four books, working on book five and then decide to write screenplays for the first two and then all of a sudden, I mean, the books they won, they won good awards, but the screenplays have just been on fire internationally. They've won everywhere across the globe, and so what does that feel like? I guess I would say it feels very surreal. And it also gives me motivation to actually want to get these on the big screen and you know, either Netflix or our Amazon or you know a TV they've won. They've won Pilot series awards, TV series awards, all kinds of movie and script awards for concept and best sci fi. And so yeah, it's changed me because you know, I'm motivated now to actually get this out there and exciting. So you know, I just recently sent this letter to Ron Howard with the screenplay and book at Imagine Entertainment, And you know, I just my my favorite movie of all time is Apollo thirteen, and I just think Ron and his company, Imagine Entertainment, they'd be a perfect fit. There are a lot of other perfect fits out there, but this just was a couple of weeks ago, so waiting hoping to hear back.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The other one is Fielberg, because you know, I'm watching the directions over it is going now in some of his latest bodies of work.
Speaker 5: H Yeah, disclosure disclosure days coming out my mind this weekend or next week. I mean, can you believe it? Yeah, I mean this is about this is about time travel and interstellar travel and and of course you know, as the book series goes on a little while ago, you and I talked about Blue Nova one. Yeah, and so they're aliens and but you have to get into the series to get to that point. But so, yeah, this would be perfect for him. I think about this disclosure day coming out, and I mean, how can we live in this created universe? Although I just I think that there's more to it.
Speaker 3: I totally agree with you, and you know, I almost think, okay, so this is why you do what you do because I have this thought. I have this theory when I was a very young kid because I never understood religion, but I did understand, you know, the basis of God and higher power, even as at a young age. But one of the things that I realized was, you know, if we are in such a vast field of energy and universe. And you know, doctor gen Houston just passed away, and she was so brilliant at this, especially with her book Jump Time. But what you've captured is not just a book that shows us history. And we'll talk about Roosevelt in a minute. But what you do is you bring themes that are so relevant to the world we live in today. Isn't that part of the impact and the excitement.
Speaker 5: Absolutely. I you know, as you get into Bad Love Strikes, it's almost as if Roosevelt and Einstein are there with you, because the theme is that Roosevelt, and this is so true, doctor pat he was afraid that Hitler and the Nazis would get the atomic bomb first. And Einstein was even socially friendly with Roosevelt, and he warned it, We've got to be the first to get the bomb, because otherwise it would be untenable if they got it first. And so Roosevelt launches the Manhattan Project in June of forty two. And here's Bad Love Strikes in October of forty two, with Roosevelt and Einstein meeting at the White House saying, you know, Roosevelt is saying, you know, Albert, we need a backup plant to the Manhattan Project. And so I'm commissioning you to build a usable time travel machine called the White Hole Project, and we're going to build it right next to the K twenty five plant in Oakridge, Tennessee where we're processing platonium and no one will know it's being done. We'll just seal it off if we're the first to get the bomb. But if if we lose the race, we're going to use that time for avel machine.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 3: You know, the other person you may want to get a hold of his Brad Pitt. His company is Planned B. And you know, part of this, though, is I think we're a little naive.
Speaker 4: Let me ask you this.
Speaker 3: I've always thought about this, and I think part of my naive thinking was things were so linearly planned. Now I got over that at about age eleven, where the linear things didn't make sense because every comic but I read everything had to backup plan had to plan a Plan B. Alternates, let's just call them alternates. So why not this?
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely, it fits in with you that even you know, modern times, you cannot just it's a Yogi bearra funny saying. He says, when I come to a fork in the road, I take it, And so you have to have that's true. You have to have an alternate plan. And this really makes sense. And you know, Einstein really proved with the theory of relativity that time travel is possible. And you know, with all that we're learning with quantum mechanics and artificial intelligence, it's just not a stretch to believe that time travel is possible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I have to say, James Cameron invented AI. Do you know how I know that the Terminator movies? Now, why do I say, well, come on, because think about the imagination of this guy. I think it was James Cameron. I can't tell if it was you know Ridley's guy whoever it was, right, had a sense of time, had a sense of AI how a sense of time travel, and we bought it hook line and sinker.
Speaker 4: What year was that sixty nine? I don't even know.
Speaker 3: I don't even know what year that came out, but we bought it as if.
Speaker 4: It was okay.
Speaker 3: And so now here we are, how much has the population changed to be able to say, of course time travel of courts plan b.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you know something else, because you're talking about you know, James Cameron and The Terminator and all that, You know, a lot those movies were that they they had real people, and so right now in Hollywood you have all these like you know, Greek tragedy type things going on in all these fictional you know characters. Bad Love Strikes is about a group of American teenagers that are growing up in nineteen seventy four and discover a World War two time travel machine. I mean it's like Goodies meets Raiders of the Lost Dark or whatever. I mean. These are real, flesh and blood people with a whole host of different personalities, and you know, they butt heads, but they come together, and I think we need to get back to that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, you know, you any friend of yours or audience, they would be able to latch on to a character in the Bad Love series and say that's me. You know, I could see myself in that situation I did.
Speaker 4: That was my sense of it, because let's talk about it.
Speaker 3: These characters are based on real characters, right right.
Speaker 4: You're in it.
Speaker 5: Nine of them are based on Yeah, I'm Bubble.
Speaker 3: But oh my gosh, that's you know my nickname. I was a chubby kid. You were bubble, but I was called puff. You know, I'm like, Okay, seriously, couldn't you come up with a better name? But you know, part of this, I agree with what you've done so beautifully though, is you've touched on history and made it reality moments that are occurring today. Now is it explicit? Some of it is, but it's more than that. It's watching initiative, it's watching Courage, it's watching innovation. Right, all of this though, and may I add what did you say? Goonies something else? So now I want to add stranger Things because it's got elements of all of that to me. Am I on track with that or not?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're right on. I have patients that read my books, doctor pat They come in and they have me sign their books, and I can't tell you how many times they've said, oh, this reminds me of Stranger Things, or I showed this to my son or daughter and they read it and they're like, oh, this is like Stranger Things.
Speaker 3: So sure, yeah, yeah, I mean, you know, we have toyed with the idea of creativity, innovative mind mindset being outside of reality. And what I'm finding, especially doing what I do now, you know, twenty three years, coming up on ten thousand interviews, what I'm finding is we have too many categories that are separating things and forgetting that what if this were all one that we get and what I mean by that is, look at you. You know, you're like me. We're probably in our little school books the least likely people to be talking about i mean, talking about time travel and this. But we are and I want to ask you this. You're excited about this. There are things happening. The question I want to ask you is what of the book, the characters, the screenplay Because screenplays are very different than books. People don't know that. But what is it about creating the screenplay that gave you more insight into these characters?
Speaker 5: Well, because you have to you have to literally bring those characters to life on the big screen, and so you're you're setting the tone of the atmosphere and the environment. I mean, it's it makes it, It makes it more real. I mean that's that's the probably the best answer to the question is this, you know, And that's why I was saying, you know, these these uh, you know, comic book characters are superheroes. We've got a world full of superheroes right now. These are flesh and blood people and so they're reacting to these circumstances. And you know Vedoma Lover, she's one of the She's the gypsy in Bad strikes, you know, and and so you're you would you probably love this because she's the one that kind of sees the future as a love part of the person. And so you know, they're they're in the middle of the rescue in the field and the bad Love Gang or getting the kind of helping out all the prisoners into the be seventeen and Vedoma. As she's going through the door, she pinches Bubble but you know, on the cheek and she says, I like you future boy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, see, those are perfect.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: I was sitting here and I was thinking, what does this remind me of? And what I love about this? And there was once upon a time there was a.
Speaker 4: Really short lived series.
Speaker 3: I wish they'd bring it back, and it was called Serenity, and Morain and Bachern was in it. I mean, it's just early you know, great acting, great concepts, but also dynamics of human nature. And that too is part of the book, that too, is it You're bringing in a dynamic of human nature. And let's start with how you brought facts into fantasy by the work you did to research Roosevelt. Come on, now, that's just not made up Roosevelt. You did your job on that.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, because all the dates, even the time of day or the meeting times, I did research into when they actually happened. And so it my sister Kathy, who I dedicated the book to. By the way, she's now in her eighth year after being treated for stage three triple negative breast cancer and so we're so thankful for that. But so she was an English teacher, and she was the first one I dedicated Bad Love Strikes to her. But I sent her that book, and you know, so I'm writing it and she's reading it, and she calls me and she goes, you know, Kevin, you need to keep going with this because I think you're onto something. She says, I keep reading this and I can't figure out which part is fact and which part is fiction. And so coming from an English teacher, I was like, Okay, I'm on to something here.
Speaker 3: You know, yeah, yeah, you know, it's so difficult for English teachers to transcend the written word and indulge in conceptual because they're so used to is it being written right?
Speaker 4: Is it the right grammar?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: Right? But that is saying something.
Speaker 3: You know. Part of that is the momentum that I find the momentum and part of the momentum, even though the stage is futuristic and yet not, even though it's real characters and yet the world of possibilities, there is a momentum that builds up like maybe more than maybe more like an inner excitement, if you know what I mean. That touches a part of me when I read them, That touch is a part of me as if I've already been there? Is that even making sense? And I wonder if, in writing this, how these downloads of creativity came to you?
Speaker 5: Well, it's almost it's almost a spiritual question, because.
Speaker 3: Yes it is, it's an Einstein question. You can't solve the problem at.
Speaker 5: The level it was great, Well, it is because as I I mean, yeah, I wrote Bad Love Strikes in ninety days. That's to be to be your first novel and to write it in ninety days and then have accepted for publication six weeks later. That's just crazy. I mean, it's it's it's like a spiritual journey. And I think for me, it really I felt like I was there. And I've had people that that I've interviewed with and who have read it and such that that that kind of questioned me, like, you know, were you really there? You know, were you did? You really go to Chelmouth? And I really did go to the Little White House in Warm Springs, Georgia when I was doing all my research on Roosevelt. So I stood in his bedroom at the Little White House in Warm Springs and imagined the Bad Love Gang being there with him, you know.
Speaker 3: And so yeah, yeah, what I love about it. I mean, these characters take road trips. I love road trips, right, But they take these road trips and they stayed famous places. And you have done the same, you know, in your research and your exploration. And that's what I love about it, because you know, while you are the author of pen in Hand, there's also an energy that gets that happens. There's something that happens between a person's innovation and the thing they're creating. It's almost like an exponential movement. You know, once you're aligned with something, it takes on a life of its own. And yet I can see that because these this characters are traveling as if they are you, and traveling is if they're not you. Do you understand what.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to say?
Speaker 3: But part of that is important, and so you know, I love that we're talking about this because it's your life experience, your experience working with cancer patients, your experience of hope, and what you do as a doctor. I mean, we cannot leave that out of the conversation today. When you choose the life path that you have chosen, as you said to me, Yeah, when you choose the life path that you have chosen, like you said to me, you were working with amazing patients.
Speaker 5: Today, right, Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 3: I can't help but imagine how they help sculpt part of what you're drawn to write about.
Speaker 5: I've learned more from my patients over these forty years than any other life experience. I mean, these are I happen to be a cancer specialist, and so you know, we're doing a lot better at curing cancer nowadays. But even if you have a very curable cancer, once the doctor says you have cancer, you think that death is knocked on your door. And so it really changes. It changed the dynamics. It's not like you have a runny nose. I mean, you know, are a well baby. It's just different. And so because then you start thinking about, well, what is really important in life? And so it's been a total blessing to me pat to work with all of these people, and it's just I think that, you know, I think God's getting me ready now for retirement into move in a new direction and to share all these things that I've learned all these years from working with all these patients. I mean. And so the book is about hope. You hit the nail on the head, and that is what I'm all about. As a cancer doctor. If you have bad news, I'll tell you, Okay, your cancer has spread to your lung. But then in the next sentence, I'll say, but this is what we're going to do about it. And so that's what hope is. You know. Hope is not you know, being pollyannish about your situation. Hope is facing the truth and then moving forward.
Speaker 3: And yeah, last night Mark and I Mark Anthony and I do a show every Thursday. We've been doing it for a bunch of years now. It's very popular. It's called The Psychic and the Doc, and I'm the doc. He Mark talks to people that have have moved moved on. And yesterday's show episode title was called The Audacity to Hope because it was on my radar. It really was based on something I was watching on television. I didn't appreciate the ending. But I want to bring this factor in because you and I are so much alike. We have this tenacity, if I might, to really talk about serious subjects, serious artifacts, but we do it in a way that allows for optimism and possibility, like my unstuckable brand, right, I mean, I'm building it out right now.
Speaker 4: So but I'm me.
Speaker 3: I have humor with it. I mean, I really do. But we're going to talk about serious things. You have done the same in all the books, and I want to ask you that had to be a conscious intention to set that tone that way. I'm sorry, that had to be a conscious intention to set the tone for these books in that way. It's almost like we're juxtaposing horrific things, right, yeah, but showing the flip side of the same coin.
Speaker 5: Yeah. And so I mean, my world is the world of oncology or cancer. But you know, book one byad Love strikes we're talking about here's a group of teenagers from the seventh He's actually deciding to go back to the Holocaust and try to make a difference. And so think about those two things. I mean, that's and to do it in a way that gives you're recognizing the horrifics of what has happened, but you're also injecting hope and how to deal with the horrifying situation in a way that creates hope. I mean, and that's really live. I mean, let's face it. You know. You know I know this from just my morning with the group of patients I saw this morning. I mean, you walk in one room, you give good news, and you walk in the next room and you give not so good news. But this is life. This is what we have to work with day in and day out.
Speaker 3: You know, I've thought about this because you know the question I asked you myself, if I had the ability to be the gang, part of the gang, what would I go back to try to help with Now I don't have an answer because I'm still thinking about that, because clearly the Holocaust is one of them, and there are so many others in history. But I really have given that some thought, and I also have given that some thought in the modern times in the past two decades, and I came up with one thing I would go back. If I was smart enough to understand the money markets, I would have gone back to two thousand and eight, nine and ten, and I would have looked, I would have I would have tried to be part of a let's call them, let's go on the Bad Love Bad Money Gang, Bad Love Money Gang, because I thought about that, the devastation of it. And somebody asked me, why do I keep talking about that point in time. I said, because we went through it and then we forgot about it, and I thought so many people were affected by it, But then there was COVID, So here I am. I'm hard to know what I'd go back to do, and I think sometimes I think too small on that level. And here's my next question for you, what is your next great vision from this moment now for the next year.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm actually working on expanding the series. So I'm writing Bad Luck Rising now, and Bad Luve Rising opens with John F. Kennedy at the in New York, and you know, they're having a party for him to raise money. And this is when birthday party. This is when Marilyn Monroe comes out and sings Happy Birthdays. Yeah, And so the the book will focus a lot on you know, how I've had Truman, I've had Roosevelt, I've had president for I'm going to take Kennedy and I'm going to bring him into the Bad Love universe because I love JFK Me, I love all the stuff about the Kennedy family. And of course they had their skeletons in the closet like you know all the politicians do. And so yeah, that's the that's the immediate future.
Speaker 4: Yeah, last question.
Speaker 3: I know this is a short interview, but first of all, let's give people some information. First of all, how do people find out about the books? How do they get the books? And how do they stay with you along this journey.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so there's really two good ways to do it. The first is I have for the books. I have a website. It's www dot Kevinshoey dot com and so it's my name K E v I N. S ch Ewe dot com. And then I'm on Instagram. I'm very active. I think I'm a little north of one hundred thousand followers now on Instagram and and so it's at real Kevin Shoey on Instagram. Also, I do a little bit on Twitter now or I guess it's called x Y. Yeah, and I have an Instagram account. I haven't been too active on Instagram, but I do have that, but mainly the website and Instagram. Those are really the two best ways to follow me.
Speaker 3: All right, So I have got this last, really last question. I know, I'll let you go.
Speaker 4: Where's the screenplay going to end up? Now? How do you see that unfolding?
Speaker 5: Yeah? So you know, I've I've talked to an agency in New York and I've sent I'm starting to send more letters out and so I need you, doctor Pat, I need you and your audience. I need for this to reach the right person, if it's Steelberg or James Cameron, you know, I need it to end up in the right hands with someone who will be as enthusiastic about it as you and I are and work to put this out for the world to see. That's what we need.
Speaker 3: Well, we're definitely on your team to make that happen, and this interview is a great way to do that for several reasons. One, you're introducing this at the perfect time. You and I talked about the Spielberg movie coming out, right, I think it's today. It is perfect, Emily Blunt the whole thing. So that's a conversation in that movie that piggybacks, how ready people are, and how beautiful our imagination is to move forward futuristically while we revisit the past.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: And I got to tell you I heard Schwartzenegger is thinking about another Terminator movie.
Speaker 4: How that will unfold? I have no idea.
Speaker 3: But for you, you've taken real characters, You've taken real experiences, real emotions.
Speaker 4: See.
Speaker 3: I want people to get this. This is not a comic book. These are real people with real emotions, looking at situations, looking at how to solve them for the greater good of the world. And that's what these books are.
Speaker 4: About for me.
Speaker 5: Well, thank you for that, doctor Pat. I appreciate that. Awesome.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you for what you're doing. I just love I love talking about this. I know this will get picked up as a movie. I know it because there's so much here that excites me and others about hope. It's like we said last night in the show, you just can't have You just can't have hope. You have to have the audacity to hope. That's what the characters in your book have.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Joe.
Speaker 5: You know that you said we are alike. We should just like move our heads together here because you know, I believe it will happen as well. I am right with you, it will happen.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, I mean I know it. I can feel it in my bones. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I really can't Thank you, doctor Shuey. I'm going to stay in touch with you. I know Linda's working with your PR people who are doing a great job, but I think we really need a way to support this movement forward. So I'm going to be talking to them about imagery we can put up our website, different things we can use to really pull this into our social media arena. Thank you for everything, and thank you for exciting me today.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 5: I love your broadcast and it's so fun visiting with you. Is when can we do it again?
Speaker 3: I know that's what I'm thinking about. I really I've started to think about that a little bit more, and I'm gonna go downstairs and talk to Linda about it because this is to create a movement like this, you have to keep a conversation fresh. Yeah, and there are ways to do that. You your team's doing a great job. Thank you, doctor Shuey. Thank you so much for everything, and by the way, thank you for doing what you're doing to save lives.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're welcome. Thanks for acknowledging that. I really appreciate it. Have a great day, doctor, I.
Speaker 3: Will ping pong tonight. Thank you all for tuning us and turning us on. As we've said, lots of information you're going to see more coming from Ust. We're gonna put some images you'll see they're coming throughout this video. And please support this. Let's inspire, let's engage, and let's have the audacity to hope, like doctor Shuey does.
Speaker 4: Will see you next time.