Speaker 1: Do you see this behind me? You know this isn't a virtual background. By the way, I've actually had a billboard sized poster review put up on a roundabout in Croydon. This is it and that can make my finger disappear. Like the way it just frames the bald head. Well done. It gives me a little white outline of the bald head, didn't it does?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Actually?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, good in it?
Speaker 2: That is good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's do it. Podcast number one of the week Jamie Murray announced his retirement. What happened in your doubles? Your first point is just unbelievable, and I've got a feeder of forehand. But it's an office worker special and I want to do that is to almost highlight the fact that you never had a job, so just to see how you would feel if you were an office worker like the millions of automated drones out there, just like I was for about ten years. So anyway, Marcus willis, how are you mate?
Speaker 2: I'm not too bad, thank you.
Speaker 1: I'm in Rome now or when in Rome?
Speaker 2: When in Rome? Yeah, I haven't done that yet. I've been biting my lip. It's very difficult trying to the original.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, when in Rome you do have to act like do you remember that from Anchorman? Yeah, where he just goes when in room.
Speaker 2: I love that film so good.
Speaker 1: Jesus Christ. There's a mate of mine who watched it and then just straight back to the beginning watched it all again.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's up there for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We spent ages just just quoted it and stuff like. Yeah. I still think of it all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Rich Mahogany, Yeah, you know what, you know, the scripting thing takes as well.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, man, how do they keep it?
Speaker 2: Huh huh. So doesn't feel like a sorry right anyway? Tennis?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know that the bit that gets just just quickly before before we move on to the laborious task of tennis, the bit that gets me in that the script you know when he goes, I'm Rom Burgundy. Well, I used to produce the Alan Brazil Breakfast Show on Talk Sport and then was let's just say a late night guy and he would get in the theme music could be playing at six oh two after the news or something, and he would get into the office then and you'd just pass him the script and he was a really good script reader. He still is I'm talking about him past tense. He's still there. He's still doing it. He's an excellent script reader. Whatever you give him straight on and he comes straight in and do the manning Welcome to the Alan Brail boom and he's in. But every bit of punctuation capsule letters he would read out okay. And one morning we had Big Sam Allardyce on okay and someone had forgotten to write Sam. So Alan Brazil doesn't know what he's reading out. He just reads and he's.
Speaker 4: Like, right coming up Big Alla Dace, or been a while since we've heard from Big Ala days and Big Ala days on the shore the small.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so you know that. I'm Ron bog always always takes me back to anything you gave our you had to read about ten times over. Something seismic has happened in British tennis this week. And it's seismic because it's like two decades worth in that we're not going to have a Murray involved at the top end of British tennis. Jamie Murray's announced his retirement. Did it take you by surprise?
Speaker 2: No, No, it didn't take me by surprise. No one ever saw him hitting over the off season. I think he was out in South America. He was running a lot, doing a lot of gym, but he wasn't doing is is tennise. He wasn't at the NTC. He wasn't pairing up with people. His ranking it gone kind of below mine either, So so yeah, I wasn't. I wasn't surprised entirely at all. Actually, but it's sad, right because even when I was a junior, I think Jamie was playing dubs. I mean he was, because when I was on the when I was Davis Cup water Boy, he was. He was playing doubles there with Ross Hutchins and he was playing singles. So he was already then when I was, well, this is twenty years ago, it was already a top dogs fair then, so this is yeah, it's strange, but it's you know, I'm pretty sure he's sure about it. I was out in Umag when he when he pulled out, like I went for dinner with him the night before and he then you know, I had to pull out with ill developed pneumonia, like really seriously ill. And then and then I think he from what he said, he never picked up he didn't pick up the racket against to go training, and just I guess felt that that was it. But it must be tough, right because he's been he's been at the top level so long. He said he was getting anxiety by the server, wasn't enjoying it turning up the tournaments. And I guess when you have that for a prolonged period of time, that's and you don't feel like you want to keep going. I guess I guess that's it.
Speaker 1: Well, there's there's he's doing loads of loads of media, and he's a really good talker, isn't He's a you know, he's a great broadcaster. So I'm sure that we're not going to see the end of and and and he's there to kind of endlessly talk about the Grand Slams and everything else. What was he like as a person compared to Andy, who always comes across as pretty serious, pretty introverted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course he's got he's got good sense of humor. I don't know overly well, but we throw a few office quotes that other sometimes mainly me to him, and and he's you know, my knows my coach Adam very well as well. So yeah, we have a we have a good laugh. But no, I'm not. I've probably got to know him more in the last couple of years than I ever did. What was he great at his net game? Anything around the net just was insane. I played him last year in Eastbourne and he's right, he wasn't serving particularly well, but anything around the net it was gone quick, gone covered a lot. That was his thing. If if you could stop him coming into the net, then you've got a chance. But but yeah, I don't think he missed a volley the whole match. But but more than that, you you.
Speaker 1: Leave it more than that the net as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but didn't But yeah, you love him and get back to that as well. He just had this massive reach and good read of what you were doing with the return and just I mean one of those people you kind of you're hitting the ball and you can see them ever were and it's very hard to then focus focus on the shot. But yeah, if you I think the tactic, well, if you keep him away from a net, you have a chance. But yeah, he was. He was phenomenal with his with his foot I did I did. I did a session with him before I went out to Uma, and it was all about the legs, all about putting this leg and position and moving from there and how you plant your footwork basically. But he made you know when someone's really good at something and they talk about it like it's going to be easy, and you just do this Smithy. Smithy did that and fourhand returns to me once. He was just just do that, just just hit it. Yeah, but he was. He was so good at it. But yeah, I'm still trying to implement some of the stuff we did in those couple of days. But yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: Got one like that. I went to a Boris Becker masterclass once paid a fortune is. This would have been about a year after he retired, and it was sponsored by some champagne company or something like that, and he Becker was talking about getting a head on grass and it was so matter of fact. He was like, okay, so what do you go.
Speaker 4: You've got to hit one hundred and twenty odd wide and then get into the service box that first volley.
Speaker 1: And he had a British player at the time down the other end. I'm thinking maybe an Arvin Palmer time and Becker hit like a one twenty and was two steps into the service box, angle volley away and he did it with like a battery pack, and Mike here was talking through it. You know.
Speaker 4: So if the press is on, you've got to hit the one twenty odd way and then get into the service Buket.
Speaker 1: And so I just wrote down on a notepad because I thought I'll bring a notepad, you know, make sure that I get some of this gold. I just wrote down, be better and that was that. So yeah, working on it still. I'm on the I'm on the practic coarter laugh.
Speaker 2: And then pumping before.
Speaker 1: But that's when when Becker's working with Djokovic. I think they must talk a language that only they know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they must say we're all absolutely terrible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or just confused.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, it might be confused. It might be confusion, just confused by us. Just do that?
Speaker 1: Would would Jamie Murray make a good coach?
Speaker 2: I think so? I think it'd be very good. Yeah, I'm not sure how much I want to do it though.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It was the traveling, isn't it. But you know, he's He's a product of Louis Kaye in so many ways, isn't he He absorbs he is he did absorb Louie's information so well, and Louis is not getting younger, and I wonder if there's a role for Jamie in terms of doubles players and keeping up the uh, you know, the role of form that we've had are.
Speaker 2: Going to be a gap for that and he'll know the system well. But yeah, I mean I suppose.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The problem is he's probably got so many options. I don't even know if.
Speaker 1: We go back through British tennis and we go overall with Virginia Wade and Andy Murray, Tim Hemman Fred Perry, even right, where does Jamie Murray sit in the best we've ever had?
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know the exactly. I know he was world number one. I know we've had a few other world number ones. It might not be a numbers the best doubles career you've had, but in terms of longevity and kind of what he's achieved Olympian and it's pretty pretty tough too. I mean, how many years was he top ten, top twenty in the world. It's phenomenal really.
Speaker 1: Onto real tennis because after the break, we want to know what's happened in your doubles last week and the video that you sent me of possibly the only point last week that gets the two hundred and fifty pounds from you've been framed. Welcome back to what you're talking about. Willis he is in Rome? When in Rome and I'm near Croydon, we've all got a dream what this time of year? Well, I'm thinking about lots of people want a villa in Croydon this time of year. But look, there's only one way to tell. It's a It's a public vote, isn't it. I think it's something that we've got to put up. Let's talk before we talk about why you're in Rome and things. Let's talk about last week. We spoke on the previous part about coming off the back of some difficult form, some training block. First of all, you spoke about the fix to your volleys. Is it completely fixed? And will nothing go wrong? Now?
Speaker 2: Yeah? That's it forever Now I never have to work on it again. So that's good. No, Yeah, so much better, so much better. Yeah, in a better headspace with it all as well. So I've got a plan. I'm practicing and working on things, and yeah, i feel like I'm improving, which is which is great. If I feel like I'm improving, then I must be.
Speaker 1: So who are you partnering and you in Kitty an American, a younger American.
Speaker 2: Right American, Yeah, early twenties, you know, good college player, and he's already nearly top hundred. So he's doing well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I saw that. It's a pretty pretty big rise. But he's kind of just bypassed the singles, isn't he He's gone straight in for the dubs. He's he a double specialist. So like for for me, I told you, I tried to. I tried to watch the match. I couldn't get the stream. And for those who don't know him, what's he like? But I'm imagining like a six five, big server, good volleyer type.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a good all around tennis player. Actually, got lots of power, goes after returns. He's got some good feel as well that will come up with these lobs that you don't think are wrong. He sees the court pretty well. He's just he's just got a lot of weapons. Yeah, And as you say, he's a.
Speaker 1: Big guy, so and plane outside.
Speaker 2: He's playing outside. I'm playing juice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just talk talk us through the first point of a match last week that you sent me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, second round, sorry, caught finals, I forgot God I've had quite a good return. The guy said, volley, and he's hit a half volley down the line and Ben's kind of come across. So I look for the middle slash into set, and I'm kind of hitting the return and coming forward, and as I've seen the borco passed him, I've tried to change direction. And then what appeared to happen was, you know, there was something wrong with a clay court. Someone must have put you know, washing up liquid down it before, and I ended up kind of eating clay but trying to rescue it two or three times. First I had to go to my taut first point in the match for the first time in history because because yeah, I lost my footing. So we can we can put the video up, can't we?
Speaker 1: Oh, We've got to put it up. It's brilliant. I really really enjoyed it. I think laughing a bit at your misfortune is something that I'm really enjoying more and more.
Speaker 2: That's good. But it's I know, it's funny because if I imagined that I was someone else, I'd find it really really funny. Sometimes you've got to take yourself out of yourself and laugh at someone else. Yeah, Yeah, so yeah, that was interesting. Then we went then we went fall off down pretty quickly after that three juice points went fall off down, so excuse it was good clay all over my forehead and nipple and I was fall left down.
Speaker 1: I do love when you're on the floor that the umpire says, you're right, Yeah, you're okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, madam great, Yeah, you don't worry. You just stay comfy and that chair. I'm good, but don't worry. Yeah, it's it's just I hit quite a good return. I was like, oh, it's a shame part of me. It's like I were fifteen left down. That's not And then and then the next next point I hit, but luckily they didn't go to my forehand. But I couldn't grip the racket because there was clai all over my grip as well. So then I went to like wash everything down, put water on my grip, came out, got broken the juice or sorry Ben did. And then yeah, I said, we were at four left down.
Speaker 1: So this is your second round match, wasn't it?
Speaker 2: Quarter finals?
Speaker 1: Quarter of course? Yes, So we start in the round of sixteen and then you in your in your first round round of sixteen, yeah, it's quite it was important for you to get the win, there wasn't it Just surely mentally that is playing on your mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, I suppose I lost three three matches in a row, two match Tierekser one atp two fifty. But it's it's the way I lost the two fifty. I didn't like. I felt like I was overthinking. I wasn't sure on stuff. And I can't be on the tennis court if I'm not sure on what where I'm going and thinking about which leg goes where, and you know, so, so it was important. I took that time out and trained and had a couple of days at home and just when I worked hard, because yeah, you come out to Portugal. I came out, I flew to Sunday morning, I got up at three in the morning. I did a session on Sunday and extra session that you know, I normally probably wouldn't do. And yeah, we were five three down and one seven five in the first set there as well, but quite unlucky to be five three down. Yeah, it was an important win, important win, but yeah, these are especially last week. It's a one two five, It's it's not an easy tournament. You're playing good clay players, so you know, I had to be open minded in the fact that every time I stepped on courter might not win. Yeah, and it's just trying to play as well as I can and I think, you know, I can get into that mindset, then good things happen. Just go and play. So yeah, we did well. We did well. We won some important points. It was our first match as a pair together and and yeah, came up with some clutch stuff actually, but there's still there's still room for improvement provement, which is which.
Speaker 1: Is good with the coach as well, isn't he So you are you working more as in a team almost?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have been this this the last few days and since I started Portugal with we're there's a lot of chot about how we can be efficient as a as a pair rather than working on individual shots as such, sort of coming up with formations in plays rather than you know, you've got to hit a load of four hands and backhands and and and served. So it's it's you know, he's good Macaca work with the Brians, won sixteen slams of the Brians or something, so he knows what he's doing so that that's been really beneficial. And yesterday with a fitness trainer, so still here to tell the tale. Today some clay court sprints and you've got twenty seconds off in between each one. You do six sets.
Speaker 1: Sounds fun?
Speaker 2: Not good? No, it wasn't fun. It wasn't fun. My heart rate went to one eight six, Okay.
Speaker 1: So yeah that's about your peak, isn't it. That's just slightly over.
Speaker 2: What one of one above what my maction one above.
Speaker 1: Your defe levels? Yeah? Good?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that was good, a classic classic Friday practice. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So in the second round you said, like the first set is suddenly you're you're facing a bit of a mountain to climb for love. But it was it was tight, right.
Speaker 2: It was tight. Yeah, sorry, it's just got some Greek yogurt there. Yeah, it was tight. We lost well, so we lost three and four for all, but four to two first set. We had a break point. I made the return, opened up the angle, hit the angle, sent them the wrong way, hit the tape and bounce bounce the wrong way. So that would have been four to three on serve back into the match. Yeah, disappointing, And then we had break point to break back at five to three as well, So it was just you know, we got broken twice from thirty love up, once from forty fifteen, once from thirty love, and it was just kind of like ah, and second set, I'd say we missed a lot of makeable balls by an inch or so, Like I've put the chip lap over their head and it landed an inch wide and you're like, you think it's going in and it's not.
Speaker 1: Tennis. Tennis is rubbish, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it can be. It was. It was. It was frustrating because you know, I felt like we were we were, yeah, a couple of inches off, playing very very well, and we know this pair of this pair are good. They won this ornament in the end as well, so they're a good pair. They you know, wan some big matches this year already made Semis of a two fifty beat hair Bear and Thompson at Aussie Open that they're good. But yeah, in that match, there were more chances could have played a little better.
Speaker 1: Well, all of this baton ball stuff has prohibited you having an actual job and coming up after the break. It's a Federer forehand special of office working.
Speaker 2: Let me just get my pen hold on. So I need need a laptop, I need a stylus, Yeah, I do.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the what You're talking about Willis podcast and act three. Here we go now Federer forehand. The nation is gripped by this because obviously ten years ago this year you played Roger Fedderer on Center Court, and you know all about how beautiful Roger Fedder's forehand is. By the way, on that coming up very soon on the word You're talking about Willis podcast, we're actually going to be revisiting the run of Wimwood and twenty sixteen, ten years on. We're going to delve into Marcus's vast NASA like computer of a brain and get everything over a three or four parts special, and we're also going to talk to some people who were there watching and really lift the lid and get in behind the curtain of that run. But before that, you know exactly how beautiful Roger Fedder's forehand is. And so far, we've had federalforehand specials on school. Yeah, we've had a Federal fourhands special on.
Speaker 2: Films.
Speaker 1: I feel I feel there's more but an office workers special. So have you ever worked in an office?
Speaker 2: No, I've heard you. I've been friends of people that do, so I've heard a lot of the Lincoln. I can't say I'm like gagging to be one one though.
Speaker 1: No, And what I want here really is feel free to ask a question because you might not know. And I worked in an office for a decade, but you might not know, so feel free. Nothing's too big and dumb here, never is. The way this game works is I'm going to call out something for an office work, a special and you have to say if it is better or more beautiful than Roger Federer's forehand or not. And it's tense, which is why we're playing this question number one reading an email where somebody has accidentally hit the reply all button.
Speaker 2: Oh that's a strong start, Dave. And it's great No, because there's office stuff. Yeah, okay, we're not meant to say this. It's quite boring anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but sometimes I mean, like there is ones where they'll say, you know, like Nancy is going to be let the accounts department, and someone accidentally replies to it all with thank god and the buzz.
Speaker 2: Thank god I didn't like her anyway. Okay, Well, in that content, then in that context and it's it's probably yes, but I think on the average of on the average of emails, it's probably a no.
Speaker 1: It's a no, right, okay, So okay, fine, a team building day out.
Speaker 2: I'm just thinking about the office now.
Speaker 1: No. Still no passive aggressive signs in the kitchen, please wash up these plates?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I love this kitchen.
Speaker 1: Is not your kitchen. Not touch mine.
Speaker 4: This is my milk.
Speaker 1: I am lactose indolerant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. No. If I have to think about it's a no, isn't it. I've never had a yes. I don't think I'm fed's one.
Speaker 1: Okay. Finding a way to write best of luck in a leaving card when you're the sixteenth person to receive it, you any questions on that one?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so who's leaving?
Speaker 1: Well, so what happens is endlessly it's someone's birthday, wedding, leaving do endless and there's some do gooder who walks around the office with a giant envelope doing the collection. And you get the card, so you put whatever in. I think it's a minimum of paper money now because of inflation, and then you get the card and you don't really know Darren that well, and everyone before you is just written best of luck, Darren.
Speaker 2: And good luck with this some what's next?
Speaker 1: Right, And you've got to find you can't just write, oh, good the best of luck because it's been done. You've got to find another way to do it.
Speaker 2: And yeah, it's really uncomfortable though.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I used to go for it's been fantastic wherever it is. But it's one of those things that in offices you overuse those superlatives like fantastic because when someone goes, oh, I just send you that email, you get yeah, great, brilliant. All right, that's awesome, and it's not it. Let's be honest. So finding a way to write best of luck in a.
Speaker 2: Card, No, that's great. That sounds horrible.
Speaker 1: As I was reading it out, I thought, of course that's a no. No telling someone there's zoo their mic is off on zoom. Oh that has to be said forty times a day, your mic. I'll put it in the chat. I'll put it in the chat. We can't hear. I can't hear Alan, Alan, I think you might so, and then and then halfway through you get on, now is it on? Hello? Is it on? Yeah? That's right, we can hear you now Alan.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's great. Now Alan's got nothing good to say anyway, is he?
Speaker 1: No, of course not, no, no, no, no, no, okay, I've got the flip. Someone accidentally leaving their mic on Oh yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, it is better.
Speaker 2: Because I was thinking this the other day, like if someone leaves you, if you get a voicemail from someone, it's like five minutes long, and within five seconds, you know, there was a bum d.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, how long?
Speaker 2: How long? How long are you listening?
Speaker 1: Oh you did that to me the other day. You did that? Yeah, yeah, oh brilliant. Yeah, I got off I was I was coaching, I've got off court, and you left me about well I listened for like thirty seconds and it was all just rustling, so oh nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's about Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think you're just around like confectionery wrapping or something.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah yeah yeah, Chris, Chris, I yeah, so I find that really fun. I find it really hard not to listen to the whole thing stuff not me, yeah, because if they really fun?
Speaker 1: And of course, okay, so someone leaving their mic on accidentally, Yeah, yes, better, isn't It's better than Roger Freedder's forehand that's so weird. Yeah, getting to turn on the out of office reply just before you leave. So you're going to go on holiday and you get to do the I'm sorry I might't be here, Please speak to Tony or Shirley in my absence.
Speaker 2: But then they do reply anyway.
Speaker 1: Don't they They could, but you don't care.
Speaker 2: They get out of office reply and then a minute later they.
Speaker 1: Go, Yeah, so getting to turn the out of office reply on better or worse?
Speaker 2: Must be I think that must be better. Yeah, because I can't speak from my perspective here, but I'm guessing someone that would feel that joy would think it's better than Roger peedis for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I would liken it to in the Flintstones when Fred stops work and they pull the giant thing and he slides down a dinosaur's back, screaming Yabba dabadoo. When I was an office work, I used to love the day before holiday, bang on five o'clock. Okay, I've got one on similar vein having a meeting canceled which was scheduled for quarter past four on a Friday afternoon.
Speaker 2: Oh so, if you asked me ten years ago, I've said yes. But nowadays it's up, don't go to the pub anymore. Uh, let's say yes, because that's just the best time something to get canceled. It. Am I getting a bit leading with my yesters now though, because I remember at the start. Now I've said yes once, I'm just I'm just handing them out.
Speaker 1: An't you You are the officionado, You're the one who knows right, we can't go.
Speaker 2: I feel like I've got a bit lax in. I feel like it was I was like water tight, and now I'm just letting stuff get away with sub parenting. You can't. You got to keep the line the same. You can't one day, one day change it, because now it's gonna be now you're going to say, oh that bottle of water. I go, yeah, yeah, great, better than Feeder. I don't know, man, I feel like I need to get back to the drawing board, have a meeting and yeah, and actually work out Remember what we're dealing with here. It's Feeder's forehand. It's not just something you can willy nearly allow things to be better than certainly not emails.
Speaker 1: No, no, well, I feel like there's been a lot of soul search in there. And yeah, game, yeah, we're gonna call it a day, and I think, you know, we both both have to think about the journey we're on now.
Speaker 2: Really yeah, yeah, I'm just going to come back and I promise I'll be better.
Speaker 1: By At p. Seventy two, Marcus Willis.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Victor of Baranco on troumble, Sergeant Meajor of Craig Frederick and the trumpets and the composition the Army Blues.
Speaker 4: What at that