Speaker 1: This is Dan Capless and welcome to today's online podcast edition of The Dan Caplis Show. Please be sure to give us a five star rating if you'd be so kind, and to subscribe, download and listen to the show every single day on your favorite podcast platform.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Dan Caplis Show.
Speaker 3: And if you're listening and your ears are working or correctly, you can probably tell you're not actually listening to Dan Caplis. Today, you have Sheriff Steve Raims filling in, like a couple of weeks ago. It's always an honor to be able to be part of this show and especially get to fill in. I mean, this is like I said before, it's like driving Dad's hot ride. You know, when Dan's gone and he gives me the opportunity to come on the airwaves and share a little bit of information. I take the opportunity anytime I can get it. So today we're going to have kind of an eventful show, I hope. You know, We've had just a little bit of news going on in the state of Colorado and nationally, so it's probably a good time to try to cover a few of those things. And I know something that's actually hitting a lot of people here in Colorado is Senate Bill to twenty five dash three. I think it was last Thursday. Governor Polis and all of his infinite wisdom signed that bill into law. And so now we have this mess to deal with. And I've been getting a ton of messages through social media, through email at work, voicemail, pretty much anyway somebody knows how to reach me. At this point, I'm getting hit up with what are we going to do with this bill? How's it going to be overturned? Is it going to be overturned? Is it constitutional? What am I going to do as a share Am I going to enforce this law? And I think all those questions are really coming from a point where people are nervous. You know, as I've said many times before, Democrats are probably the best gun salesman in the state of Colorado because they pass legislation like this and it forces people to go out and want to exercise their Second Amendment rights. This bill is no different, but it's so confusing in the way that it was written. People really don't understand exactly what it means. Some people assume it just says, hey, there's a bunch of guns that are no longer legal in the state of Colorado. Others kind of understand that creates a bunch of loop or barriers that are going to be placed in front of anybody who wants to exercise their Second Amendment rights, at least for a whole host of guns. So we'll kind of break down the bill as the as the show allows us to. We'll take some calls, We'll definitely get any text messages that gets sent in, And with that, I guess I should put that number out if you'd like to like to text in and ask a question about the bill. The numbers five seven, seven, three nine started out with Dan or you can call in at three oh three seven one, three eight two five five. I'd love to talk with you on the on the radio show here and kind of cuss and discuss a little bit about what exactly this bill does and doesn't do, and kind of what action I, as a sheriff for any sheriff in the state of Colorado for that matter, can take and helping to kind of navigate this mess that the legislature has given us. But also I would like to spend a little bit of time today covering another topic that Dan and headed to in the promo for this show, and that was the Colorado Governor's race. If you listen to the prior show with Ryan Schuling and his excellent narratives, he had Greg Lopez come on and make his announcement that he's running for a third time for governor in the state of Colorado. Maybe his tagline will be the third times of Charm. But if you listen to that interview, you know that he's one of many candidates that are in the race. And when you start looking at kind of what lines out on the Democrat side, but lines out on the Republican side, you can't help but wonder, all right, is this the time not only for this race, but maybe the attorney General's race and some others. Is this the time where Republicans finally have a chance at taking something back? And I only say that because of the lackluster candidates that you see coming in from the Democrat side. To be quite honest with you, as Ryan has many times described, Michael Bennett is just so out of touch to me. Every time he talks, it sounds like he's trying to talk through a yawn. He just he's so hard to listen to and he makes me want to yawn just while he's talking. So I can't imagine that he resonates and creates excitement. But he does have a war chest, He does have contacts from his time out in Washington, d C. Although he professes that he's spent more time in Colorado than any other politician statewide politician.
Speaker 2: I don't know how that would be, but whatever.
Speaker 3: So we'll talk some throughout the show about which candidates are on are lining up on the Democrat side, which ones are lining up on the Republican side, and a little known fact about how many unaffiliated or unidentified candidates are in the race. At last count, I think we have with Greg Lopez jumping into the race, former congressman from CD four for that temporary job with him, that makes eleven For the Dems they only have three, and for the undecided, unaffiliated, nonpartisan, whatever the other category, you have eight candidates. And we'll go through those candidates as the show. As the show progresses, heck, let's go ahead and start with some of these Republicans, so we know Greg Lopez gotten the race. Today we've got Mark Baisley, State Senator. I believe Scott Bottoms State rep. Both on the Republican side. There's a Jason Clark that's gotten in the race. I don't know anything about him. There's a Bryson Garrison, Steve Ann Guess, John Gray Ginsburg, which I've definitely had some interactions with. He is an interesting character. Joshua Griffin. I think I saw a post from him on Facebook. Jason Michael which I had on the show when I hosted a few weeks back. He's the sheriff in Teller County. Alexander Alexander Muguta. I think I said that right. And then Jim Runberg Republican. So if any of you people out there know these candidates or you have a personal affiliation with them, feel free to text in tell me what you know about him. Call in again. That number is three O three. Let me look at that, make sure I get it right. Let's see here three three seven one three eight two. That's a rookie mistake. And the text number five seven seven thirty nine starts your text off with Dan, I'm telling you the stuff that the stuff that we're dealing with in the state of Colorado and kind of the political landscape out there. This is the time. If a Republican is going to win this state with the passage of Senate Bill three, with another House buil that has gotten a lot of attention, House Bill thirteen twelve, which we'll have Jarvis Caldwell on here in a little bit to talk about. You know, it's a transgender rights bill, or that's kind of the way it's being talked about. If a Republican can't find a couple of issues to run on, then man, we're in a lot of trouble in this state. But I got to tell you, just driving down here, I'm sitting in traffic and I feel like I'm going to get a contact high from all this marijuana smell while I'm sitting on I twenty five on a road that looks like it's was last maintained probably and I don't know, the early two thousands. There are so many issues in the state. In fact, while I'm reading through through Greg Lopez's press release here he talks about wanting to fix the things that are broken in Colorado. We'll start with the roads, because the roads here suck. If you have a car that has any kind of performance suspension, you pretty much have to plan your route before you leave the house. If you're riding a motorcycle, it's kind of like trying to ride through a landmine, which I ride motorcycles, So that's a personal one for me. This state is in a dire need of a lot of fixing, and the Democrats are running every possible issue out there to give Republicans something to campaign on. So if we can't win now, it's only because we're beating ourselves up and we haven't figured out how to resonate with the unaffiliated voters. But as we're talking about candidates, okay, so I read off the aid or whatever it was on the Republican side, I'm sorry, eleven on the Republican side, Let's talk about the three on the Democrat side. So we know, let's see here, we've got Michael Bennett, who just announced last Friday and probably one of the most boring press conferences I've ever watched, because again, it was like he was yawning through his own press conference.
Speaker 2: I know, I certainly was.
Speaker 3: I mean, it couldn't even it was less exciting than watching Golf Channel reruns. You also have Phil Wiser, and then you have a William Moses and I don't know anything about William Moses. But I think what it's really going to come down to is can Michael Bennett. Can he get Phil Wiser in a headlock, give him a little nuggy and push him out of the race, and where does phil Wiser go? But when you start looking at political chess, all right, so we know there's a bunch of stuff on the board that you have to play with. If Michael Bennett steps away from that Senate seat, which he said he's not actually going to step down from Senate, He's gonna run as an active senator. So if he stays in that seat, gets elected as governor, let's just play the what ifs. Then he gets to a point the next person to take over his seat, and it sounds like that's what his plan is. So then is that the Joe A Goose card? Just Joe Nogose move over? And then who fills Joe and Nogose's seat? Is that where Phil Wiser gets to go go retreat to It's going to be interesting to see how the Democrats line this up. But you know, on the other end of it, the Republicans, they just got to figure out how they're going to have this primary where you know, we get in a big room and basically fight it out. It looks like we got a caller on the line. Oh, I think we have a break first though, So we'll go to a break before we before we take this call. When we come back, well, we have a caller that wants to talk about Senate Built twenty five Dash three as it relates to hunting, I believe, and some of the issues around Fort Collins.
Speaker 2: So we'll go to break. When we come back, we'll dive right.
Speaker 3: Into the questions about Senate Bill twenty five Dash Show three. You're listening to the Dankapla Show here on six point thirty.
Speaker 2: K how.
Speaker 4: And now back to the dan Kaplas Show podcast.
Speaker 3: That song is the perfect description of my drive down here. Hopefully I wasn't stuck in traffic long enough that I won't be able to pass the next year analysis test that I have to take.
Speaker 2: But you're on the dan Kaplas Show.
Speaker 3: You got Steve Reims setting in a sheriff up in Weld County, and we're going to cover a bunch of stuff today, but we really want to cover Senate Bill twenty five Dash three. I want to hear what you have to say about it. Also, I want to hear what you have to say about who should be running for governor in the state of Colorado. Is there a candidate in the race on the Republican side that you're ready to support right now? Are you all in for one of the candidates that we talked about. I'll read them off again at some point in the show. But are you Are you invested in who can win this state, who can bring this state back? Or do you have a recommendation who for who should get in? But we have a caller on the line. His name is Huntery from Fort Collins, and he's calling in about Senate Bill twenty five Dash three. Hunter, how you doing good?
Speaker 5: I just have a question. What's say, for example, I didn't want to buy the gun in Colorado. Let's let's say I used gun and I wanted to go to another state. I'll just throw one out like Arizona or something where you can purchase a used gun in a parking lot someplace. Sure, it's not a not a big deal, and I drive that thing back into Colorado. Can I do that legally? Because you know I've stopped at some gun shops out of state and they don't really want anything to do with me with a Colorado license.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I think that's your biggest burden right now is you know, every state around US has gone man, I don't want nothing to do with Colorado. So I think the easy answer is if you're in that state and you're following their laws, and you buy a gun and you bring it back here, yes, I think you can probably do that without being in violation of the state law. That being said, you know, this is a little bit of unchartered territory. So if that gun has you know, a magazine that extends past you know what what is allowable in the state of Colorado. You know, is that gun one of those one of these guns that's listed in the bill, Are you technically, you know, thwarting the law.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Probably so. Is it enforceable? Not very likely. And I think that's the problem. Right Like, if you're a person, let's say you live in Arizona right now, you own a whole collection of guns, and you move to Colorado, well, obviously your guns aren't going to become illegal upon you moving here. You had them, you know, you've had them in your possession all this time. Now leaving the state to buy one and come back in. You know, that's probably going to get questioned by a few people, but not not by anybody realistically in law enforcement. I don't even know if that gives you a clear answer.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I wouldn't be going there just to buy a gun. But if I happened to be there anyway, A lot of people go there in the winter time, sir, and you ran across a deal which you can't get here, by the way, you might want to take advantage of that, which brings me to one more question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you bet go for it.
Speaker 5: I had a rental property out of state about twenty years ago. While cleaning it out, I found two shotguns underneath a bed. Okay, I kept them. They're buried in my basement somewhere. I don't I don't use them or anything. But I don't know too much about their history or anything. But I don't want to go just trucking one into the stop shop and say, hey, check these outs. I don't want to get arrested or something. But I mean, I don't think there's anything any big deal. I think they just missed them when they cleaned a place. Is there some way to find out with you know, about getting myself in trouble.
Speaker 3: You know, that's a great question, and just being in possession of them doesn't necessarily mean you've you've violated the law. And I will tell you every jurisdiction looks at this a little differently from my office. If someone comes forward and says, hey, you know, we found these guns, we want to make sure that they're not involved in a homicide, they're not stolen, whatever we'll do. We'll do a clearance of those guns for an individual and say, yeah, you know, you're good to go, or or no, this is a problem for years. Yeah, so by this time, you know, whatever record of the whatever record that may be in a system, probably doesn't exist anymore. But it's not a bad thing to get in touch with your local law enforcement agency and say, hey, will you do this for me. Otherwise about the only way you can do it is to take it into a gun store as a potential trade, and quite frankly, the gun store kind of has to take the risk at that point. There is no real mechanism for a private individual or a gun store even to check the legitimacy of a gun. The only way you can do that is through law enforcement. I'm really glad you brought this up, because this is an issue we brought up. I say we, the sheriffs of Colorado brought up.
Speaker 1: Is.
Speaker 3: Hey, this is maybe an area where, you know, if you wanted to create a gun law that might be helpful to citizens. It's something along these lines, give citizens away or give gun stores away that they could check the legitimacy of a gun before they buy it or you know, before they're in that process. But clearly it's kind of jurisdiction by jurisdiction. So I hope that answers your question.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean Wolkeville, and I'd have to cost some moat to get over to your county.
Speaker 3: And so hey, the drawbridge it comes down, come across.
Speaker 2: You know, we'll take you right. Thank you, Andrew, thanks for the call.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it. We got another caller on the line. This is Zane from Pueblo. Zaane, you got a question about concealed carry. What can I answer for you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I've got a concealed lessons for bit for like I don't know, maybe fifteen sixteen years now. It's it's good until like February of twenty twenty nine. Huh so when I renew that, as long as I don't buy a semi auto, am I gonna have to take a class to renew that.
Speaker 3: No, this bill is completely independent Center Bill twenty five DESH three is completely independent of the conceal handgun permitting process. So if you're in Pueblo and you've got your concealed handgun permit and you want to go renew it on the date in question, you can still do that. There's no problem there. There was a bill that was passed last year though, that says if you miss your renewal date, then you have to go take a updated training class. So don't don't miss your date. But otherwise you should be good to go. As far as going out and buying another firearm can still weapons permit has nothing to do with that. With this new process, they're all independent of one another. You start to go to the sheriff's office, but for two totally different transactions, de ply up that. Well, that a whole bunch of others. Hey, thanks to the phone calls.
Speaker 6: There, I appreciate it, Thank you.
Speaker 3: You bet So, we're we're discussing a little bit trying to answer a few questions for those people that have called in great questions so far. But again, this is Steve Reams stilling in for Dan Kaplis. So you know, we have a chance to kind of look at it from a law enforcement perspective and say, what are the ins and outs of center Bill twenty five dash zero three, this atrocious gun bill that Governor Polis signed in the law last Thursday. And you know, he didn't do it with a lot of fanfare, which tells me he's embarrassed about what he did. But the only the only thing I see out of it is I think Governor Polis has written off his political ambitions at this point, at least I have to believe that's what his intent was here, because what red blooded American is going to vote for this guy in a presidential who's passed one of the most restrictive gun laws that we've ever seen, at least in the state of Colorado, And it may take the cake for what you see nationwide. You know, as we're talking about this bill, I'll just go into some of the details here before we before we have to hit a hard break. Send it Bill twenty five to three. Really, what it does is it tells you have to go to a sheriff and get permission to go buy a gun that has a removable, removable magazine and is semi automatic in nature, and it pretty much runs the gamut. There are a few exceptions for guns that would meet that definition, but pretty much just think of any gun that you would commonly want to carry, handgun or rifle. What you'll be required to do now is is go get a background check from some private entity, which is a whole nother level of stupidity because as a sheriff, we can do background checks, but the law doesn't allow you to do that. You got to go You got to go to a private entity to have that done and then bring it into my offer, and then we turn around and say, yeah, you're good. You can go take this class and then you'll get registered to take an opportunity to go buy a gun. We're going to a hard break. When we come back, we're going to have Jarvis Caldwell on the line to talk to us about House Bill thirteen twelve. You listening to the Dan Caplis Show on six.
Speaker 2: Point thirty K.
Speaker 4: You're listening to the Dan Kaplis Show podcast.
Speaker 3: You're back with the Dankplas show. You got Steve raims Well Kuny Sheriff sitting in today while Dan's off handling some really important business. I'm sure probably suing the behind off of somebody who knows. But I told you in the early part of the show we were going to have a state rep on mister Jarvis Caldwell from HD twenty. He recently made a little bit of a dust up down at the State House when he kind of challenged a House bill that's going through down there right now that I can't even begin to describe. So we'll let him do that. That's House Bill thirteen twelve. But on the line with us is a representative Jarvis Caldwell.
Speaker 2: How you doing heany?
Speaker 7: Steve, thanks so much for having me and I appreciate the intro music.
Speaker 2: Well you picked that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I can't think of anything more appropriate than what you're dealing with down there at the State House right now, because there's a whole lot of smoke and mirrors going on, I'm certain, But tell us a little bit about the dust up you had and kind of what has that turned into. I know you've done some Fox News stuff and of course this big show. So just tell the listeners kind of what you ran into.
Speaker 7: Yes, sir, So for your listeners who haven't heard yet, he'se built thirteen twelve. It's a it's called legal protections for transgender individuals, but it's way more than that. And the bottom line of it is in legal custody disputes that the bill orders a judge to side with the parent who affirms the gender identity delusions of the child right, and the parent who doesn't go along with that, and once again help for the child is considered committing child abuse and therefore loses custody. And I mean, this is just really it's lit a fire and parents in Colorado. The Christian community has just come out incredible over the last couple of weeks, and I have so many videos sent to me of pastors speaking from the pulpit about this and just trying to rally people together to come out against this.
Speaker 3: So how does a bill like this get introduced without just getting attacked? And I know this is kind of a setup, but how did this bill kind of fly under the radar for so long?
Speaker 7: Yeah, So the thing is is it got introduced on the House floor on March twenty eighth, which is a Friday, in the evening after we already adjourned for the day, unless the speaker usually stays behind and just kind of does some for work introducing bills, assigning bills. So all of us went home for the weekend, none of us had heard about it. And then that following Monday, the Chairman Javier Maybray kind of casually said, oh, yeah, by the way, tomorrow we're going to hear this bill in committee. And once we started looking up the bill, we realized how bad it was. So we had less than twenty four hours to prepare for this bill when we found out in testimony that they'd been working on this bill for over a year.
Speaker 3: Of course, of course, so all right, you get into a little bit of a dust up by making a comment about hey, we're gonna we're going to risk federal funding or something along those lines for the state of Colorado. Who was that exchange with and kind of what is that dovetailed into? I know, like I said, you got a lot of national attention for your comments. How'd that go?
Speaker 7: Yeah, So something that the Republicans and I have kept kind of pushing. We keep running these bills these like immigration bills and these transgender bills and just anti printal rights bills and gun bills, and I feel like the Democrats and the legislature are doing this like specifically to kind of the eye of President Trump. So we keep running amendments that say, if the federal government, if this risk funds, and they threatened fund this bill is automatically repealed, and we did it with this bill, and the Democrats have killed it every time. I almost think at this point they want that to happen so they can play victim and you know, big bad Trump.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, in all fairness, I mean, I don't know why the federal the federal government wouldn't look at withdrawing some funds from the state of Colorado. I mean, there's there's a multitude of reasons, whether it's you know, being a sanctuary state or passing stuff like this. I mean, I think these bills do put federal funding for the state at risk. And to your point, yeah, it would be it would be foolish for them to actually make that happen. But then again, they're kind of the party of foolishness right now.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and it's it's even crazier than that. So the Speaker of the House does introduced the bill. It's her bill, it's House Bill thirteen twenty one. And I don't think this is on many people's radars right now, but we're we're setting aside four million dollars from our infrastructure fund, specifically four potential lawsuits from the federal government if they try to take funding. So we're taking from our infrastructure fund, our taxpayer money, and saying that we're going to use this to fight the federal government if they do threaten to take funds from us. And that's a bill that just came out, I think, last week, and hasn't really got a lot of attention at all.
Speaker 3: So what would that infrastructure fund normally be used for? I think I can probably put two and two together. But if it wasn't to fight back against the federal government, what would that money typically get used for.
Speaker 7: Well, I hope it'd be used for potholes, because I cracked my rim zone know how many times driving back and forth to Opaso County every day.
Speaker 3: Well, I can tell you pothole took on a whole different meeting today when I was driving down the highway and I was sitting in a big cloud of pot smoke. So yeah, in this state, you know, our spending and our efforts are definitely misguided. So while we got you just for a little bit, representative called well, educate the voters about the area that you represent and kind of what your desire is or what your passion is down there at the State House. I know you're fighting against everything down there, but where do you represent and kind of what's your background so people can get more involved in following you and getting to know you a little better.
Speaker 7: Yes, sir, So I'm northern Olpaso County. So i have the Air Force Academy, which is very fitting because I'm an Air Force veteran monument Palmer Lake Black Force and souton Colorado. And my background is I was ten years in the United States Air Force. I have a wife and two kids. My wife is retired Air Force twenty two and a half years. And you know, the big thing I ran on was safety and security. So I sit on Judiciary Committee and I hear all these horrible bills that the Democrats are running. They're trying to put more more criminals back out onto the streets. And while we're trying to make sure we protect our community members and keep the criminals off the streets. So that's a big thing for me. I was in the jagquarps. I was an enlisted paralegal and so I used to sit in on court martials and you know, making sure we got justice for victims. So I do have that criminal justice background. But I'm also a charter school board member and I have two kids in elementary school, so education, school choice, parntal rights are big issues for me. And this is this house built thirteen twelve. This is a big parntal rights fight for me.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, I feel for anybody who's having to deal with a kid who's you know, going through this transgender question in their mind. But to magnify it with a bill that is placed before us. I can't imagine a parent trying to navigate, you know, a very complex situation with their kid, and you hope nobody has to go through that. But if they are going through that, to throw this fuel on the fire, it seems like it's it's not in a it's nothing good, right.
Speaker 7: Yeah. The point I keep making is this is their ideology, right. They put it in commercials, they put it in Disney movies, they put it in our schools, and they push it on our kids. This wasn't a thing twenty thirty years ago, but they push it on our kids. And then they say, if we're not okay with it and we don't go along with it, then we were losing custody of our kids and we're committing child abuse. And I'm not okay with that, and I think most color Reddins aren't either.
Speaker 3: So in the testimony for this bill, what's been the balance is it? You know, has it been overwhelmingly supportive of the bill? Negative of the bill? Like, what are you saying from the public. I mean, I think this is getting a lot of traction, But are people showing up? And what does the testimony look like?
Speaker 7: Yeah, So we had two hundred and twenty witnesses for this bill when it went through House Judiciary Committee, and about half of that was people in opposition. And remember that was less than twenty four hours of notice.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 7: And so I think when they finally assign it to a CINIC committee, it's going to be gigantic. I mean, I'm I'm hoping we break a record, the biggest I've ever seen for a committee was like six hundred and fifty for a gun bill. I think that was SP three. I think we'll get a thousand people that show up to testify against this bill. And I think they haven't assigned it yet to a Senate committee because they realize the national backlash. And Loreina Garcia, the sponsor of this in the House, she posted over the weekend on her blue Sky account, which is like the liberal Twitter that the main she called it, mainstream LGBT groups are trying to kill this bill behind the scenes, which is the first I've heard of it. But I think even their side of the aisle realizes the backlash.
Speaker 2: The still, yeah, it's just so unpopular.
Speaker 3: Well, Representative cauld Well, we really appreciate you coming on with us, and quite frankly, we'd love for you to keep in touch and kind of let us know where this bill travels when it does hit the Senate and it's time to get the word out there. I'm sure Dan or Ryan, we'll be happy to get you back on so you can draw attention to the bill. And again, thanks for being on the show and thanks for educating us.
Speaker 7: Yes, sir, thank you for having me very much.
Speaker 3: All right, you listening to the Dankapleas Show. You got Sheriff Steve Reims setting in for the day. We're going to cut to a break and I want to come back. We'll take a few more phone calls about Senate Bill twenty five Dash three.
Speaker 4: And now back to the Dan Tapless Show podcast.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to the Dan Capleas Show. You got Steve Reams setting in for the day. But I want to get right to this. We've got a guest on the line. This is a short segment, so I want to make sure we can cover as much ground as possible. We have Ian Escalante with the Rocky Mountain Gun owners. Ian, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 5: Hey, Sheriff Reams, thank you so much for having me on. Can you hear me? Okay?
Speaker 2: I can hear you? Great, I so can the listeners. Hey.
Speaker 3: I wanted to have you on the show because we've we've been talking a lot about Senate Bill three and I know I'm getting asked a ton of questions about, Hey, what are the sheriffs going to do? Can you stand up against this? And I'm sure you're getting asked a lot of those same questions about what's Rocky Mountain Gun owners going to do now, is there a lawsuit in the works. Where are you guys out on this now?
Speaker 7: Sure?
Speaker 5: So I want to address obviously the issue at hand, which is Centate Bill three. What Jared Polas did was one of the most disgraceful things in our state and honestly our nation's history, by signing a opening up the floodgates for full scale civilian disarmament in the state of Colorado. I want to be abundantly clear. They're trying to say, Oh, this is just training, Oh this is just a way to make sure we're getting guns in the right hand. This is opening the door for civilian disarmament. We've seen it in Illinois, it's happening in Washington right now, and it's about to start happening here. What RMGO is planning to do is, we have a couple of things in mind. First things first, we're going to be start right now working overtime to recruit candidates and get people trained up so they can run for office in twenty twenty six, and ensure that accountability comes to the Democrats who voted for this piece of legislation. We cannot let them get away with this.
Speaker 3: I'm Glad you said piece of legislation and not what I was thinking, So keep going exactly.
Speaker 5: The next thing is, we have a team of some of the best Second Amendment attorneys and legal experts in the nation. We're sitting down right now and formulating a legal strategy on how we're going to combat this. Sure, it's a little bit more difficult to beat in court than an outright ban, not because it's any less unconstitutional, but because when you have the liberal judges in the Tenth Circuit, many of whom were appointed by Barack Obama and Joe Biden, they are looking for any excuse to dismiss this a case against gun control and try to create new precedent. That's their strategy against the Brewing decision now is they just want to override it with new precedent. So hopefully ten year, ten to fifteen years down the road, when the Supreme Court is not as conservative as it is today, they then can overturn Brewin and fully have the Supreme Court a staffablish that this garbage is constitutional.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I couldn't agree with you more. You know, one of the things I've seen in the bill is how open ended it is. I mean, it doesn't even put time restrictions on how long a sheriff has to issue these cards. You know, there's a bunch of questions about when you take the class, how soon do you have to come in and are after your issued a card, how soon do you have to go take the class. There's just a whole bunch of open ended stuff here that you know, I guess if you're going to attack the bill, that's that's the way to start is just by how you know, how poorly written it is.
Speaker 5: Absolutely and I mean, we see this happening in Los Angeles County right now, where they set up this new permanent system for concealed carrier licenses, and now people are waiting two years to obtain their government permission slip to quote unquote allow them to exercise their god given rights twenty four months, and the state of Illinois their firearm Owner's ID card is taking sometimes eighteen months for people to get their applications proved process and then to actually obtain their permit to purchase and possess, which is that's where we're headed. We're headed towards firearm uner ID card.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't disagree with you, but one of the challenges, as you've probably you're probably well aware. This thing doesn't go into effect until August first of twenty twenty six, so creating standing is a challenge. And also there's there's been no discussion about what fees are going to be around this, and we know fees are just a tax, but you know, the state's going to set a fee for what it costs you to apply for this permit, and then sheriffs on top of that are probably going to add some fees to cover the cost of administering this program. I mean, this could get pretty exorbitant. And there's no cap. I mean, it doesn't say where it stops.
Speaker 5: No, and it doesn't that's the point. I mean what I said, I said this the day the bill was signed. I said, Senate Bill three is a minute straight of ban disuise as a permit to purchase system. That's what it is. They can't paign the guns outright, but they can they can just not issue you your license or make it to where you can't even take a class.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just slow, that's.
Speaker 5: What they're trying to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I said earlier in the show, I've I've read a lot of bad bills, but this one probably takes the cake. I mean, whoever wrote it, which whichever version you want to look at, they it was almost like it was their first attempt at writing law. And maybe that helps in a in a lawsuit against this thing.
Speaker 5: Well, I can tell you this that what they did is that if they were looking for a most terrible, uncontrolled bill with so many moving parts and a severability clause, that it's harder to just take the bill down in one fell swoop. Whoever wrote this bill deserves a raise because they did a darn good job of doing it. But that's not going to stop us. We're going to keep fighting it. The other thing we're doing is it's been a deliberate effort to come out and turn Colorado into ground zero for radical gun control. We've had over thirty gun control bills filed in the last three years alone, and that is why we are actually armed you as a petition to Attorney General Pam Bondi, and we're going to put pressure on her and we're going to urge her to step in here and say, listen, something has to be done.
Speaker 3: Well, Ian, I appreciate the efforts that you and the Rocky Mountain gun owners are providing in this effort. We got to get rid of this thing. It's bad legislation all the way around. But I think everybody needs to know this is going to be a long road, so don't walk away from it. Keep supporting the guys that are fighting the fight. And Ian, thanks for being on with us. We really appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Cherff.
Speaker 2: I have a good one, all right.
Speaker 3: You're listening to the Dan Kaplis Show. When we come back after break, we're gonna have a few callers and some text message to get to about Senatebille twenty five dash three. Thanks for listening with us again, Dan Kaplas on six point thirty K how