Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So, since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Wednesday we bring you a watch or we watch of an older entertainment property. And for this week of August fifth, we are continuing with Lost, Season one, episode five. We are now talking about White Rabbit, a Jack flashback episode. And I believe the debut on this show of what will be an ongoing monster afflicting almost everybody, and that would be daddy issues. Oh dear, yep, yep, yep.
Speaker 2: And this dad was a real piece of work, was he not?
Speaker 1: Yes, even in life he was awful and in death, he leads his kid off a cliff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, although he does find some fresh water, so.
Speaker 1: That he does. He does eventually lead into fresh water and his empty coffins.
Speaker 3: So there's that.
Speaker 2: I know, are we supposed to think, well, what happened to his body?
Speaker 1: I think that we are encouraged to think about anything we want to think about the show. And people did to the tune of thousands of words. So does that mean there actually is a zombie Jack's dad wandering around? Or does that mean the coffin flew up in the bodies somewhere else? Or does that mean that the airline lady just dumped his dad out and put an weak him. I couldn't mean all sorts of things. But right now, right now, they're just throwing everything they got at the screen. So you know, we'll sort out the pieces.
Speaker 2: Later, right, much like we're constantly sorting through the luggage.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh still still, how could they have not gone through all that luggage at this point?
Speaker 2: I know there's forty seven people and there's it's been like a week, yeah, maybe five days, six days.
Speaker 1: Well, there's one fewer person now because.
Speaker 2: Yes, because somebody round having failed to save her yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh boon. He tried, and then in saving him, Jack failed to save her. And does really nobody else know how to swim? I mean, Charlie says he doesn't know how to swim. SAYI doesn't swim, right, Gin doesn't swim? You're like Sawyer might be a swimmer, but he would not do it.
Speaker 2: I feel like Gin's everyman for you know, he's the only looking out for Gin and son and son.
Speaker 1: That's true. And none of those extras know how to swim. I guess they figure better than me.
Speaker 2: Not an extra anymore if they start swimming pain for that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. This is also a good illustration Jack's Jack's dilemma. In addition to showing a lot of bad parenting that he received, it's also a good reminder that parents need sleep, that you can't take care of everybody if you're not sleeping. If you're not sleeping, you see dead people and you see uh, you know, you feel like running into the jungle is a good idea, and you know you can't focus on the five million problems that those who are depending on you, and also can't save two people from drowning in the ocean, only one, So come on, take a nap. I enjoyed how I mean, we talked about Gin and Son. They're sort of by themselves and looking after themselves. But it's it's fortunate. I think that although they appear not to understand English, if you say it loudly enough, they understand. Just yell at enough times, right, and they'll know that's a useful thing. If you're an American and you don't speak any other languages, if you just say it loud, just keep turning up the volume, repeat it and louder and louder. Thank goodness. Boone decides he's going to be the leader, all right, because because who made Jack the leader? Just because he's like, you know tom.
Speaker 2: Right, the Jack's like, please remove me from this position.
Speaker 3: I do not want it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we were wondering why Boone stole the water, but I looked at read something on lost Pedia website and they were saying that it's because he decided he wanted to be the leader, and he wanted to be the one who was rationing out the water and he was taking charge, which, honey, that ain't gonna work. I don't think you can even get your your sibling to listen to you, right, the rest of the people there.
Speaker 2: Your sibling is going to make everyone else turn against you.
Speaker 1: Basically, the sawyer was congratulating him on taking over the heat for a little while.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: You wonder why they didn't anticipate that water was going to be a problem. I guess they're still thinking so, but he's going to save.
Speaker 3: Them, right, They're still waiting for that.
Speaker 1: Feel like you would have had some expeditions looking for water, right, and not just Lock going out with what a canteen? Maybe? Yeah, it was so funny when Jack fell off the cliff and was like, you know, this very dramatic scene of him climbing his way back up and then his hand appears off the right. I almost screamed, I would have the vine and fallen. Right, it's Dad, Okay, I know it's what it seemed to be, but of course it was Lock, yes, and I was able to pull him up. Says that he looked into the eye of this island and it was beautiful. Apparently a monster in the previous episode.
Speaker 3: The monster was beautiful.
Speaker 1: Huh something that Lock saw. Well, I don't know. His life's considerably better since he got to the islands, So I guess it's in the eye of the beholder, Claire is continuing to be pregnant, yep, and uh, everybody is just kind of waitting around, see what's gonna happen next.
Speaker 2: Right, which, yeah, you need some proactive you do need some leadership and a leader that has slept, you know, more than once in whatever this is, Yes, six days.
Speaker 1: There's like this small group that has all the ideas and does all the things right, and then within the slightly large group there's a bunch of people who say yes or no, And then there's all these other people who knows what they're doing. Maybe they're going on expeditions and get they're.
Speaker 2: Just sorting, sorting like close.
Speaker 1: Practical from impractical.
Speaker 2: Right, But even that was Claire and Kate, So like, yeah, we know these we know these two.
Speaker 1: Every now and then somebody will walk by only go wait, who is that? Where did they come from?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're just trying to keep up keep up appearances that there are forty seven people here.
Speaker 3: Forty six I think it was forty eight.
Speaker 1: Seven. Yeah, that's actually it's kind of amazing that well, was the was the guy who died the Marshall? Was he? In the original forty eight.
Speaker 3: Oh, I don't know, but that, yeah, think you got to subtract that as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, all things considered, it's amazing that it's been such a low body count, right, A lot a few of them would have killed each other by now. Sawyer's living on borrowed time. I wonder if he has it in him.
Speaker 2: I just wonder we have, like, what, how many seasons to figure it out? Six seven?
Speaker 1: I remember a bleep load of seasons left, and it's like twenty two episodes, so we're going to be doing some neandering. I think they should put the they should put the flash of the days like they do on the in The Gentleman in Moscow. Yeah, how many days it's been, or possibly how many episodes are left before this result? How long will they be here?
Speaker 3: Blip quite a while?
Speaker 1: That might beary. So I when when Jack was trying to get the casket on the plane, which just has all sorts of implications, doesn't it If he was if if he had gone on a different plane, would this not have happened? Does the guy being on the plane have something to do with what happened? I don't know, but he says, I need to bury my father and I'm like, I know, man, I want to bury that dude too, right a deep and he go, yes, I just want to be done with this person please. Also, Veronica Hammel is his mother. Oh my goodness. Oh yeah, I'm not sure I would have recognized her if I hadn't seen her name in the credits.
Speaker 2: But yeah, they just really didn't give that guy a single redeeming second, did they.
Speaker 1: They did not. They did not, Oh, poor Jack. And then he came, rather like walk was transformed by the island. Jack was suddenly the guy. He was decisive, he was it takes, he had what it takes. Yep, just like that. So so the island is doing things to people here.
Speaker 3: I think again, Dad.
Speaker 1: Stop walking into the jungle. I want to show you what a decisive dude I am. Now they all look up to me. Don't go away. Oh golly, So he is just as screwed up as the rest of them. Apparently he couldn't have just been one dude on there who's just like Yep, I'm a I'm a good decisive.
Speaker 3: Person in my life, regular guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm a regular guy. Good good uh doctor, good decision maker. Trust me. Nope, everybody got to be tortured one way or the other.
Speaker 3: Yep, I gotta have those issues.
Speaker 1: That's what makes it a show. So at the end he says something about we have to live together or die alone, which I think becomes kind of a catchphrase for the show.
Speaker 3: And makes sense.
Speaker 1: Neither of those things all that appealing at some point, right, Well, we'll live together, But does that guy have to be here? Can we pick the one? Can we live together like a little bunch over here, right? Can we have a contract with you to fight for us when they come through?
Speaker 2: Can we have like well, I mean they were already sort of dividing into factions right because they were like, well, who was it? Sawyer's people have water, Charlie's people have water, somebody's people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, so yep, you know. Next time you are on an airplane, look around at the people near you and go, could I live with these people for the length of a regular American TV show? I don't know, Maybe that one, not that one, not the guy who keeps going in the bathroom, but so the person who's drinking too much, not that one. I don't know. You gotta gotta go with who you're stuck with. I guess, which is also a parenting thing. You know, you take your kids, get what you get, and then you have to find a way to make it work.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: And they don't get to pick you either.
Speaker 1: No, they do not. I'm sorry, I ordered a good father.
Speaker 3: What's with this one?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you get the hotel manager from general in Moscow. Sometimes you get the weasel. You know, there's nothing you can do about it, but anyway, should be interesting to see how they come to live together and also possibly dialogue. We'll see said the rest of them are going to survive all the way to the.
Speaker 3: End, Yeah, every single one.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, next week we will be watching season one, episode six of Lost called House of the Rising Sun, which is a Sun episode appropriately, and so it's all in Korean, so.
Speaker 2: Get your reading glasses ready for those subtitles.
Speaker 1: They'll just yell at real loud.
Speaker 3: Right, I'm like, hey, look, I know Korean though.
Speaker 1: Thank goodness for subtitles.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we will see you back here tomorrow for our weekly roundabout roundup. Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash Shop slash Mamitude, where you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.