Speaker 1: It's Nightside with Dan Ray on WVS Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All Right, good evening, everyone, and welcome on into a Tuesday night edition of Nightside. Nicole, Thank you very much. As always, I've had a very busy day today. I'll tell you about that a little bit later on during this broadcast. We have some very interesting issues and topics coming up Tonight. At nine o'clock, we'll talk with Massachusetts Senator Peter Durrant. He's suggesting that he very well might be a candidate for governor. Peter Durrant always has interesting things to say. We'll talk to him at nine o'clock. Later on tonight, we'll get your take on the phone call today between President's Trump and President Prutin. Rob Brooks, our producer, is back in the control room. He is all set, and we are set for baseball. The baseball season open today of all places, Jump in with us. I'm delighted to be joined by I've always Brad go to the Boston Globe Sports page. One of my favorite writers and columnsts for the Globe, Peter Abraham. Peter, welcome Tonight's that how are you and thanks.
Speaker 3: It's a pleasure to be with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, this Red Sox team made some moves late, you know, after New Year's which are pretty interesting. And I assume that you have been down there and on the phone with your sources, and I know the Red Sox have to go play a couple of exhibition games. Corus said was quoted on the Globe today saying double A competition in modey Mexico. Who they playing down there? Some se my pro team or yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, the MLB is put together some international games in the last few years, and they convinced the Socks to go to Mexico to play the team in mont Terray. And the Mexican League is is pretty much double A slash triple A depending on what team you play. Ye, and the Socks wanted to do something, you know, get a couple of games in before they played in Texas, and this was an opportunity to go to Mexico. It's it's a pretty quick flight to Dallas from there and then they'll start the season, so kind of a little change up rather than staying in Florida for nextra day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I get it, but it sounded like some of the regulars wouldn't even make the trip. I think. I think the Globe story said that the shortstop wouldn't even make it make the trip. I'm sure there are other considerations in terms of guys who are feeling aches and pains after a month of spring training. Let's talk about the roster. There's an interesting piece in the Globe today. I'm not sure if it was yours or or if you contributed to it. Speculating a little bit on the roster. It sounds to me like none of the three wonder kids are likely going to make the major league roster, at least for opening day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think there's a chance Christian Campbell could still make it as a second baseman. They're not quite decided yet who they're going to have at second. But in terms of the outfield and shortstop, you know, Marcelo Mayor or the young shortstop who's eventually going to be the regular guy. You know, whichever story there, You wouldn't make any sense to have him be on the major league team and come off the bench. They want him in Triple A and Rob and Anthony and Dalfielder, who I think has got a really bright future. If all three of the outfielders are healthy, the guys they had back from last year who all had pretty good seasons. You know, they don't want Anthony to come off the bench either, but both of those guys could sort of force their way into the issue during the season that there's always injuries that happen or things that happen, and eventually I think you're going to see those guys in the big leagues, but not to start the season.
Speaker 2: So second base looks like Hamilton, I guess, right, at least that's I think.
Speaker 3: So, Yeah, he's played pretty well. They like what he could do in terms of stealing bases, you know, adding something to the lineup other guys don't have. But that's still I think that's going to be something they're going to wait, you know, until the end of spring training to decide.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about pitching, very very important. They have retooled that staff. I love the pickup of the guy from the Dodgers and of course the lefty from the White Sox. I don't know how they pulled that deal off, but that was a a deal. Was that money big factor in that deal? The fact this guy was going to be a free agent and probably not going to stay with the White Sox.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, it was an interesting trade because Garrett Crochet has two years left before he becomes a free agent, so the Red Sox would certainly like to sign him to an extension, but they're not up against a real deadline in terms of that, and it's just a matter of the White Sox knowing that they're not going to be in contention anytime, trading their best player to get four good young players back. And it was a deal that the Red Sox had to be convinced made a lot of sense because they gave up a catcher who they thought was going to be their catcher of the future and an outfield to who they had a lot of high hopes for they had only in fact, he never played a major league game after he get drafted, he get traded, and so the Red Sox are taking a chance. The White Sox took a big chance. But Crochet is going to be the opening day starter. He said he wants to stay in Boston. It wouldn't surprise me if before spring training was over they were announcing extension. And he's the guy they've been missing for the last year, the real number one guy at the top of the staff.
Speaker 2: So you got it.
Speaker 1: One.
Speaker 2: BeO is hurt. Cut a Crow, It's hurt obviously, Tan and Hawk is fine. And the new guy for the Dodgers, Bueller, who I think is a really good pitcher, is number three. And now it looks like the guy they picked up from the Pirates, as well as the young guy from Middlebrough who pitched really well for the Braves for a couple of seasons, a left hander. We may have an interesting battle for the fourth and fifth spots in the rotation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they've got two spots open and pretty much four guys buying for those four spots. And that's good because at this time last year they were really hurting for starting pitching candidates. And then they have more than you know, you never have more than you can use. But it's good that they have some decisions to make. And Richard fitz who was a guy they acquired from the Yankees and the alex Erdugo trade. He pitched very well in September last year in four games, and he's it's even better in spring training. Sean Newcomb, who's from Middleborough in the University of Hartford. He's bounced around a lot in the last few years, but he's been very good in camp. And they've got Quinn Priester who they are acquired from the Pirates, and he's been pretty good as well, although his last outing wasn't so hot. So they're gonna see at least one more game from all all three of those guys and then and they'll have a big decision to make in terms of who's on the team to start the year.
Speaker 2: If I were Craig Breslow or my guy would be fits. I thought he was tremendous last September. He was oh ended up on and one, as you know, didn't get a win, but could have easily have been four. And oh uh and you I think have reported that he's he's humped up the fastball this spring. Whatever he did over the winter. Yeah, he's picked up some speed. I guess I thought it's funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's been very good. He's been very good this year. And he can thank his wife for that, oddly enough, because she had an internship in Boston and that started in January, so they both went to January to Boston in January, found a place to stay, she went to work, and he went to Fenway Park and started working with the strength coaches. And the pitching coaches and everybody else who was there and was doing is throwing at Boston College's facility, which is indoors, and when he showed up at spring training he was thrown. Instead of ninety three ninety four, he was ninety six ninety seven, and that's made a big difference, and they feel like he's ready to step up.
Speaker 2: So of course we always asked the question. In the in the American League East, he has some good teams, but every team has their loss. The Yankees have tremendous injury problems right now lost Garrett Cole. I assume that the Red Sox are not going to be a five hundred team this year. How many games can the Red Sox win? Can they get over ninety with this?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 3: I think if they Yeah, I think they could. A lot of it depends on health. Of course, you know, the Trevor story hasn't been able to stay on the field. They need to, you know, to have those three guys we talked about Crochet and Bueller and Tanner, how all you know, give them good seasons because the pitching has really been the issue over the last couple of years. And I think, you know, you look at last year, they were fourth in the American League and runs scored. The issue really was pitching. So it's fair to think they're going to be another team with a you know, have a good offense again this year, and it'll come down to, you know, that them being able to back that up with the pitching, and like we were just talking about, they have a lot more depth now than they used to. But they are going to benefit from the Yankees having a lot of injuries from Toronto kind of being you know, in a bit of an uproar. Not being able to sign the big free agents that they wanted, Baltimore didn't necessarily add to their pitching staff to the degree everyone thought, so the Red Sox could be in a pretty good position going into the season.
Speaker 2: Of the of the other teams in the American League East, who do you worry about most other than.
Speaker 5: The Red Sox, I think Baltimore because they have so much good young talent and guys who could really step up and be All Stars and they could sort of, you know, out hit their problems with the offense that they have.
Speaker 3: And that's a team that's on the rise one way or another. It's just a question of what year it hits. They were in the playoffs last year. They're looking for more this year, and they've got the good guys to back it up.
Speaker 2: That's great, Peter, Thank you so much. Everything everyone needs to know about spring training has just been encapsulated by you for us in about eight and a half nine minutes. I just want to say, thanks so much, and we got to hope this year. Look, I feel they were eighty one and eighty one with a bad team last year. They've improved this team. I see them between ninety and ninety five wins. I know, people, I don't know what Vegas has them at, but that's what I'm where. I pick them between ninety and ninety five.
Speaker 3: Well, they get from eighty one to ninety that that's a pretty big step if they could do that, for.
Speaker 2: Sure, huge yet huge yet, Peter, thank you so much. Say hi to Shaunessey and the gang and Kevin. Paul DuPont got to add you he's the regular roster here for us on nightside. I really enjoyed the conversation. Thank you much, Peter.
Speaker 3: You bet anytime. Dan, Thank you.
Speaker 2: Peter. Abraham, Boston Globe Sports reporter. They get the best sports staff I think in America or maybe the world. When we come back, I'm going to tell you what I did today and with whom what I did, And we're going to introduce you to Kim Kerrigan, not that she needs any introduction coming back here on Nightside. My name is Dan Ray. This is w BZ Boston, and this of course is WBS Boston, Boston's news station ten thirty on your AM dial. Get the podcast, pull the podcast down on the iHeart podcast, and make us your number one app coming back on Nightside. Our preset, I should say, make us your number one preset back on Nightside after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray, live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Well, I spent a good part of my day with a friend of many years of former colleague, Kim Kerragan. Kim Kerrigan, welcome to Night's Side, just as you welcomed me to Karragan and Company. You're a fabulous podcast today. How are you?
Speaker 6: I am terrific, Thank you and thank you so much for having me on night Side. And what a treat it's been to spend so much time with you today.
Speaker 2: Well, a little cross proportion the treat's been for me, that's for sure. So tell us about you. You've worked at a number of television stations, You've done radio, you have anchored newscast, reported, done everything in the business. We talked a lot about me today. I'd love to know tell us about Kerrigan and Company. This is a podcast which really is Boston centric. I was your guest today, but other than me, you've had some real guests. Jolly Baker, Lenny Clark was your first guest. What a way to come out of the box with that, Marty Wals It's a real pope, Carie at the political people, entertainers and interesting people.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, Well, you know, Dan, this was a This was a brainchild of a good friend of mine and you met him today. He's our producer, David Thompson. And David and I had wanted to work together for a long time. David is a public relations for a moment or Shore, and we waited until I had the opportunity and it just the timing was right for him as well, And we had talked about a podcast for a long time because you know, podcasts are fun. It gives you an opportunity to step out of the box. And there's not really a formattle though ours does have a format, but you know, you have that opportunity to just sort of do your own thing, and I was sort of, you know, longing for that after being in a box for so long. So we came up with Kragan and Company. We started about a year ago. We wanted it to be Boston centric, and each week I have a different co host. You were my co hosts today, and the co host really sets sort of the tone for each one of the podcasts and that as a result, makes each week different, interesting, fun. Some are are more maybe uh sports centric, Others like us today we talked about headlines, which was great. You know, some of them might be a little more entertainment driven. So each week is a little bit different and certainly a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: So the interview which which amazed me today is the interview that we did that we did today from about noon to one thirty in beautiful studio right at North Station part of the Boston Garden Complex. Really professional, really professional. It was, it was fun, it was upbeat. The time just flew and I've watched a little bit. You've already posted You've posted our episode from today and how can people find that episode? And also and company?
Speaker 6: Absolutely, well, you can stream you know, we've I think you were episode sixty, so you can stream any of the sixty sixty yeah, sixty, oh sixty yeah. So, uh you just you know, we dropped one a week every Tuesday, and you go to Karragan and Company. You can google it and it'll pop up on YouTube because we also do it obviously with cameras. You were there today to see that. But it's also available anywhere anybody gets their podcast. So you guys, you know, are obviously part of the iHeart family. You can get it on iHeart Spotify, you know, you can listen to it anywhere that you get your podcasts, and uh, you know, we've just we've we've really had some really good luck with it. We've been really fortunate, and primarily, you know, Dan, that's been because people like you have said, yes, I'd like to come on, which makes it interesting and different. Like I said, each week.
Speaker 2: Well, it's surely makes it different. We had a lot of fun today and as a matter of fact, a friend of mine who is not the most experienced person with any technic technical uh you know stuff, okay, sort of from the flip phone generation and has a small tablet. She called me today and said, hey, I already saw it. It was on. It was posted sometime I guess around four or five o'clock, and I didn't realize. I knew you said it was going to be up that quickly. But I know what it's like to put something together. And boy, David Thompson must be doing a great job for you. You got it done.
Speaker 4: You got it up.
Speaker 2: So my listeners all over the country right now, and I'll mention it again tonight a couple of nights. They can. They can just go to Carrigan and Company C A R R I G A N. Karragan not Karragan, Karragan right company H And I feel there should be a song there of some sort. But that's okay, see a double r ig. You got it, Okay, that's what I was thinking about. But people can watch it and they can comment on it and give it a like whatever. And for those of you who listen to me in the radio and have no idea what I look like, I am a fairly normal person, a fairly normal hookey person. You can actually watch. And Kim is a former television anchor person here in Boston, a beautiful woman who is equally as smart as she is beautiful, and she's pulling off something. It is not easy to have a podcast and to make it work, but you're making it working on advertisers. A lot of people that have podcasts, but if they don't monetize it, and clearly you are making this a success not only in terms of the entertainment value but also for sponsors. So that's what well, it's just like radio TV. It's as simple.
Speaker 6: As you know what it's to do. It's the new generation of all of the broadcasting that you and I have been involved in for all of these years. This is the new generation. And that was part of what Dave and I you know, talked about so much. You either got to get on board or you're going to miss it, this digital thing. So we thought, all right, let's do it. But I will tell you Dan a very quick story. When we said we were going to do this. Between Dave and I, we have many twenty somethings in our lives. We have kids, of course, and so we turned to the twenty somethings and we said, okay, guys, we're going to do a podcast, and they're all very friendly and they all sort of looking at each other like what. So we thank our twenty somethings all the time because they held our hand and sort of guided us onto the roadway. And we very much appreciated that. And I don't know if we would have done it or done it as well as we've been able to without them. But again, they were the they were the ones behind. But you know, the whole thing saying you can do it, you can do it, and this is the new thing, so you know, let's get on board. We can all, we can all do this together. So it's it's worked out well and we're very proud of it.
Speaker 2: Well you're in the fast lane now and never stop. Okay, So kim again. People just had to google Carrigan with A CE C A, R R, I, G A and company and they can all these these previous podcasts with Governor Baker, Mayor Walsh, let Clark, lots of people, whole list of them. Uh, I love.
Speaker 6: The Patriots and yeah, you know Celtics with Gross back as a guest. I mean there's you know, if lots of folks here in Boston, they're all they're all a part of it.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna spend some time looking and checking out some of the Karrigan and Company podcast. Kim, thanks for great enjoyable day to day and thanks. We will hopefully see each other soon and we'll talk soon. Thank you so much, and.
Speaker 4: Of course absolutely you can our people.
Speaker 2: We have all that podcast stuff up there, which I don't understand as well as you do. But it is the future and we all got to get on board before the train leaves the station.
Speaker 4: Or at least.
Speaker 6: Thanks Dan, thank you, thanks so much.
Speaker 2: Say hi to David for me. I appreciate it very much. I'm doing all right, ladies and gentlemen. Again, Just go to Carrigan and Company. You can find it. You can listen to it, watch it. That's the thing. It's very it's very cool, and you can move it along. You can skip this, go back to that. I think she does a great job and I'm so happy that I did that. She called me a few months ago and I said, yeah, we'll set it up, and we set it up and we worked it and we did it today and it's up there for the world to see. When we get back. Right after the news, We're going to change topics here on a night's side. We have two more guests, so please stay with us. We're going to talk about naps. Well, the napping is good for the brain, and also AI can steal your voice and that's the truth. We're going to explain it all and then later on we'll get to your phone calls on some very interesting topics as well. That's what we do here on Nightside. It's a Tuesday night, it's eight thirty two of them a minute or so late. I apologize back on Nightside after this.
Speaker 1: You're on Nightside with Dan Ray on WBZY, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome back everyone, Thanks Nicole. Let us now talk about something that all of us do every day or night, and that is sleep with us as doctor Patrick Porter, Doctor Porter, welcome to Nightside. How are you.
Speaker 4: I'm doing well, Thanks for having me you very welcome.
Speaker 2: Welcome here. You're an expert in brain health and the founder of brain Tap. Is brain tap your website or what exactly is brain tap?
Speaker 4: Yeah, they can go to website brain tap dot com and theyn get some free tips on how to sleep better, perform better. We use brainwaven trainment to teach the brain we call it brain fitness, not just oleep, but to perform better during the day.
Speaker 2: Okay, great, Okay, let's talk about the subject at hand. I guess we're talking about sleep dead. All of us have had sleep dead at some point in our lives. But I have always been a good napper. I can nap in a helicopter, I can nap in a plane, I can nap just about anywhere. Is napping good or bad for the brain? Is there a definitive answer for that, or does it depend upon the individual?
Speaker 4: I think it depends on the individual. But we've done We did a study with Googlers and Microsoft top performers, and when they took their twenty minute break, they actually performed better. They got twenty six percent more work done during the day. So think about it. You take a twenty minute break, you think you're doing nothing, but you're really resetting your nervous system. You're getting out of that fight or flight, and you're really building neurotransmitters that help you to think and respond to your work environment better.
Speaker 2: I do what I call a power snooze, where I just kind of just chill, relax and kind of allow myself to relax and I might be it'd be fifteen minutes, twenty minutes max. Maybe on a good day, rapad day. However you look at it, thirty minutes. Is the concept of a power snooze what we're talking about when we talk about naps or are you talking about somebody you know, actually lying down. I can power snooze sitting up, you know, slouching or whatever. But are you talking about you got to stretch out to take a nap effectively? What I hope up descri ya power snooze effectively?
Speaker 4: Go ahead, Yeah, I think that's great. I mean, when you think of Madison, there's stories of him. He used to sit with an iron ball in his hand and when that ball, when he dropped that ball, he knew his nap was over and it would usually take between fifteen and twenty minutes. And it's just if you can just downregulate your nervousness. Universe, every cell is like a piezo engine, which means it's squeezing energy out of that cell. So the cell is either in protective mode or growth mode, and we need to get it into growth mode and that's what the nap does. So you learn how to sleep efficiently. The problem is most people can't do that if they don't get into the sleep cycle. And give you an example, we did a sleep study in Australia with coal miners. Their average night in bed was ten hours before we get to study, but they only got one minute of deep sleep, so they weren't really sleeping. So it's not really time and bed. It's how quickly can you go into that deep state. And if you can cycle that quickly in fifteen to thirty minutes, you're doing it perfectly. That's what everyone should learn to do that. We call it wake and sleep control. But you can't just you know, we teach people look at the clock before you take your power and app and say, hey, I'm going to get up in thirty minutes, and you might have to do some rapid breathing or something to get your you get psyched up a little bit because you know, the brains. If you're not used to it, the brain's going to want to take it through a deep sleep cycle and you don't want to do that in the middle of the day. It'll influ you're sleep at night. But if you can do that little para neep like you're talking about, studies show that you'll sleep better at night.
Speaker 2: Now, when we does the amount of sleep an individual needs at night, does that depend upon what his or her occupation is during the day. Does for example, a professional athlete, a football player, a tennis player, or someone who's off for that matter, of somebody who's a longshoreman, whatever, who's working hard physically, do they need more sleep than the person who's an accountant sitting in a desk all day or does it?
Speaker 4: I think it matters for the individual because it seems like the more you use your muscles, then less sleep you need. It's when you're sedendary and you've probably heard the expression my kids are too tired to sleep. Most people are too tired to sleep. Their brain doesn't have the energy. And it's not like in a candy bar that we need it. We need att which is the energy of the cell, and that comes from down regulating our nervous system and breathing. You know. That's why a lot of people do like even doing a twenty minute mindfulness exercise. You know, put some classical music out in the background for twenty minutes and just relax. You're going to find that you're going to actually gain energy by doing that.
Speaker 2: There was a period of time in my life where I work odd hours. I worked in television, worked in radio, and so I've worked the morning news shift and been done at noontime, and I've worked the sixth and the eleven o'clock news and television from you know, three to midnight. Now we work for most of the day getting ready to a show like tonight, I'm on the air until midnight, and it takes about an hour for me to kind of cycle down and get ready to go to sleep. So at different times in my life I've found different things. So, for example, there was a period of time when I liked to take a real nap in the afternoon, and then I some weight. About ten years ago, I got more, got into the gym very regularly and never took naps again, not what I say, naps real, not powers news is. I still do powers newses, but the exercise, the regiment of the exercise eliminated the necessity for the naps in the afternoon. That sounds to me like what you're saying. I just want to make sure it is what you were saying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're exactly right. And you know, some people if they take that, if they do sleep for three to four hours. They can't sleep at night because they went through actually you could probably go through two to three sleep cycles and some people that's all they get at night. We should do eight flight cycles of sleep. So when like those coal miners are talking about, they were drinking alcohol, right is the time they went to sleep, So they weren't.
Speaker 2: We start there, and we were no, it's not good.
Speaker 4: We showed them on the we showed them on the sleep equipment we were using to measure that. They didn't even start even trying to sleep for five hours because the body had to metabolize all that sugar that was in the bloodstream. You can't just sit there. You can only have one tablespoon of circulating sugar. So that's the problem. Why you can only drink. You should only drink like one drink an hour if you're you know, if you want to entertain and have a drink, and then don't drink two hours before bedtime so that your brain can that's that's all sugar that's going to the brain, and it's it's a toxin to the brain. So the brain has to deal with all those toxins, so it's not gonna it's not going to sleep very well, just like eating a big meal before going to sleep too. You know it's not good.
Speaker 2: So last question, how can you train yourself? I know, I think the phrase is the good deep sleep is called RIM, right, Iram? Is that correct?
Speaker 4: There's yeah, Well RIM is your dreaming sleep. That's when you process your day. You need two hours of that. The deep level for sleep that I'm talking about, it only comes in microburst and that's when that part of the brain called the gli emphatic system opens up. So those only happen in very small bursts. But the RIM can last for fifteen twenty minutes. That's why we're gonna have those vivid dreams and you know, things happen to us. They're both really important. You know, if you don't get both of those really pretty much anything else. They say that the in the longevity studies six and a half hours. But you have to be an efficient sleeper, you know, So how fast can you get into that first level? Four?
Speaker 2: This is a fascinating topic. If it's okay with you, doctor Porter, we just do an interview during the eight o'clock hour. We're in the East coast here, so we're on from ad to midnight East Coast time. But I'd love to bring you back some other time and talk about sleep and allow some of my callers, some of my listeners to call in with questions. Would that work for you?
Speaker 4: Oh, that'd be great. I'd love to do that.
Speaker 2: Okay, give me the website real quickly, because I want to have some people to get to the website and learn a little bit, and we'll get you back in the next couple of weeks. I'll have my producer get in touch with your representative. It's brain tapped all one word brain tap dot com. Correct.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And there's a place time there where people can go for fourteen days and get a free trial. They don't get charged at all for the fifteenth day, so if they don't like it, they just cancel it. But it'll give them a chance to try some of our techniques out. And then there's also a lot of free things on my video Doctor Patrick Porter dot com, you know, videos where I'm talking about it and things like that that if you want to show it to some people.
Speaker 2: Here sounds great, Doctor Patrick Porter, thank you very much. I really enjoyed this segment. I learned from it which to me if I learned from it, and I'm hoping some of my listeners learned from it, and we'll learn more when they have a chance to ask your questions as well. Thank you so much for your time tonight, and we'll be back in touch. Okay, thank you very much.
Speaker 4: All Right, thank you, bye.
Speaker 2: You're welcome. You're welcome. Now when we have it. Right after the break, we're going to talk about artificial intelligence. Everybody knows what it is, but it can steal your voice and this is important and there's not much you can do about it. I'm going to talk with an expert, a technology and cybersecurity expert, about this phenomenon, artificial intelligence. All sorts of positives. This is one of the negatives. Back on night Side right after.
Speaker 1: This, back to Dan Ray live from the Window World, Nice Sighte Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Well, all of us have heard about what's called artificial intelligence, and I think all of us are developing some level of understanding of it. But Ted Closer is a closer of Klauser. Ted, let me get the correct pronunciation.
Speaker 7: It's klouser klounser klauser.
Speaker 2: Okay, if you a pitcher for the Red sox out of the bullpen. We'll call you a closer. Both. You're Ted Klauser, technology and cybersecurity expert and CEO of PCA Technology Solutions affirm that specializes in cybersecurity and data protection. You were right here. You know so much stuff about this sometimes don't even know where to start. I do know that artificial intelligence can steal your voice, okay, and there's not much you can do about it. I am on radio twenty hours a week, so I'm sure that my voice has been stolen in a number of ways and there's probably not much I can do about it. But why should I be worried about it? That's the important question, and I know you have the answer to that.
Speaker 7: Well, thanks for having me, Van. I think the major concern is the technology is available now to be in the hands of anybody that wants to put together information that would really alienate yourself, myself, anybody that's on air. It doesn't take more than a matter of a few clips to be able to compile with today's technology entire conversations, and it's really revolutionizing the way things are being done. And it's quite scary, to be honest.
Speaker 2: So I've seen I've seen recently, ohe some some fake presentations where you have a coach or a baseball manager, you know, talk derisively like they never would talk about their players, and you watch the video and you say, my god, Bill Belichick really say that about Tom Brady And I'm serious, and it's beyond It's like, wait a second. You know there's no way that but you know that, you know whatever, amusing this as a hypothetical just to make people understand what we're talking about Bill Brady. You could rather Bill Belichick could get up and say, no, Brady was an okay quarterback, but he would have had no success without me all those years. It was me that is responsible for the six Super Bowl wins and it's Brady who's responsible for the three Super Bowl loss losses. And they can create something that said that that looks like it's genuine. What the hell sort of world are we heading into here?
Speaker 4: Dan?
Speaker 7: Well, you're exactly right, Dan, and you throw video in that's that's absolutely something that can be easily put together. And you might be able to spot a dugree. You might be able to spot a fake, But think about the audio we take away, the visual cues we take away the things that really can look out and say that's not accurate voice is so much more believable. And you know, as we continue to see these voice scams, we're seeing the granny cam, the granny scams where we're essentially having the elderly being at risk. We're seeing potential ransoms of children, and it's just very concerning the things that we're already seeing. And I think it's only going to get better. As Jenner today, I continues to improve and these solutions are put in the hands of more and more people.
Speaker 2: But the granny scam is not involved to my recollection of this as artificial intelligence. That's the scam where someone's calling from I don't know, Eastern Europe and they're just speed dialing and you're saying Grandma, and if it's an older person who picks up the phone, obviously, if it's a teenager who picks up the phone, then can say who are you looking for and hang out. But if an older person picks up the phone and maybe Grandma doesn't hear that well, and and they think, oh, that must be the niece or the nephew. Is this you, billy? And right away that's off to the races. Yes, it is Grandma, but I'm in trouble. I got arrested for I was I had marijuana and I don't want my parents to know. Could you send some money? As I said, that's the granny scam right give me.
Speaker 7: But now we're going to take it to the next level. Right now, they're going to take a real voice of the actual We're going to take a real voice and actually a real story. So they'll call Granny and it'll be their actual voice, and maybe they'll give Granny information about real life things that happened last week, and all of that can be very easily done with AI.
Speaker 2: Okay, so how do they get the backstory? Meaning, in other words, did they focus on did they have to focus on somebody? I'm told that when you get a phone call at night and you know it's a it's somebody who's looking for whatever, that you shouldn't even say hello. If you don't recognize the number and you want to pick it up, just pick it up and let them talk to you. Because my wife will say to me, if you say hello, they got your voice. Is it that bad?
Speaker 7: Well I think it absolutely is that bad. But Dan, you and I are having a conversation right now. So we're already a risk, right So I was going through the answer my phone and not give my name for a little bit, and then I thought, what am I doing? My voice is already all out there, so for me to take that extra step, really, isn't that helpful? I think, you know, to answer your earlier question, how are they getting the information? We're actually giving it to them. If you think about our social media platforms, we're voluntarily giving them information about our lives that then can be used against this.
Speaker 2: How does this get controlled? I mean, obviously, when there were people out there who are producing false passports or false ideas, false drivers licenses, that's tangible and the police can find out about it and in many cases people get arrested and all of that. But is this the the level of scams that all of us will be able to do nothing about. I mean, you have to answer your phone. I have to do my job as a radio broadcaster. You have to do your job. What can people do? You can't climb into a cave, close the cave, the rocks and just stay the end of the rest of your life. What can we do?
Speaker 7: Well, Dan, if you are about to do that. That will that will work. By the way, if you're able to figure that out, thank you, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: It's just closing with the rocks. That's all go ahead, And it's the it's the it's the darn bear. When I go in the cave and half an hour later, I realized there's a couple of beers in there, and I've closed the thing off. No, what can we do?
Speaker 7: What can we do something? Something's going to get us. Uh, you know, the dark web obviously is a factor here.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 7: Criminals will be criminals. They are still going to do evil things. We have to actually be aware and recognize that that occurs. But we can put some stop gaps in place. We can lean into law enforcement to help us, but we also need to have the companies that are producing these solutions double down on what they're doing to make sure that it really is authorized. For example, if I take your voice and I try to create a video or an audio message, I need some authorization or they need some authorization for me that I have your permission right now that doesn't exist, and we need to do something to be able to at least say I am the one that owns this voice. I have the rights to it. You cannot use it without my pumps.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, it's funny. In radio, as you probably know, there's a thing called ask me where we cannot just pull music and put it on our radio station. The radio stations have it agreement with asking artists, so they're kind of protected for the commercialization of their product. But they're like us. They're not protected for somebody who will take their voice and maybe try to use that to scam someone. You know, would you like to meet Ed Sharon? Hi, this is Ed Sherion. Now you know, I'm going to be in Boston and he was here last night as a matter of fact, playing at a club on Saint Patrick's Knight. People get used to that and they think it's you know, all you got to do is buy special. I think we're entering into the end of Eldess's Huxley's brave New world where we could do nothing, and I'm scared about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Well, I think it's very legitimate and a concern, and I think that one of the things we have the factor in it's your ask me example is a great example. The challenge is AI takes everything and puts it at the speed of light. Right, So you've got one specific thing you have to do, well, AI can do multiple things that speeds you and I can only imagine, right, So the risk is much greater.
Speaker 2: This is scary, Ted. Whatever you're doing to help protect me and every one of my listeners and everybody in the world. Thanks. I know you're trying to keep up with these guys. But uh, maybe some night I'll have you back and we'll talk about where we're going to be five or ten years from now. I mean, you know, we never thought okay, yeah, no, we never thought that we'd have to have cameras installed in our homes and we could watch people who come up to the door. I mean, you know, fifty years ago you never thought of anything like that. You hope your neighbors would keep a lookout for you. So we got to get ahead of the bad guys. We'll get back in touch with you, Ted, really, Ted klaus or Ted, what what's the best way people can get in touch with you and get in touch with your company?
Speaker 7: PCA Techsolutions dot com.
Speaker 2: Pretty easy, PCA Techsolutions dot com. Ted Klouser, thank you so much for your time tonight. It was a really fascinating interview. We'll talk again, Thank you, sir, Thank you. Good night. When we come back, we're going to talk with Massachusetts State Senator Peter Durant. He's thinking about running for governor in twenty twenty six. At least he's thinking about it. He's not an announced candidate, but you might want to listen and learn a little bit more about him, or you may want to call and tell him that it would be a good idea. We'll see what happens. We're coming back with Peter Durant later on tonight. We will talk about the telephone conversation between President Trump and President Putin today and what your hope or apprehension is of that particular event.