Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: A bunch of stuff going on in DC and DC related, Tulsea Gabbard confirmed as Director of National Intelligence.
Speaker 3: RFK.
Speaker 2: Junior's nomination as Secretary of Health and Human Services has advanced that final votes coming in a couple of days. Also internationally, an American citizen was among three people released from prison in Belarus today stop A top State Department official, Adam Bohler, US Special Envoy for hostage affairs, told reporters at the White House that one individual is an American citizen, wants to remain private. Apparently, there are also two non Americans, including a radio Free europe journalist who was released and then. President Trump said he had a lengthy call with Russian President Vladimir Putin today, which included Putin agring to immediately begin negotiations over the war in Ukraine.
Speaker 1: Some of his talkback callers today, they're so dumb that they're even making Gary sound smart.
Speaker 4: Quite interesting, crowd, you got here on.
Speaker 3: This rainy day, rain does strange?
Speaker 1: Wow, what did you do to him?
Speaker 2: I don't know, but I thought it was nice that he could take shots at everybody.
Speaker 1: Wow, do you usually sound dumb? You tell me, I don't listen. Come on, I was at the hair salon yesterday listening. Oh yeah, and what to other ladies.
Speaker 2: Oh you're gonna say, oh oh, you're listening to them? Yes, okay, I.
Speaker 1: Was listening to the beauty salon chatter. Sure, and there was a woman there.
Speaker 3: Is what it sounded like?
Speaker 1: Sorry pretty much? Uh, there was a woman there talking about I think it was her daughter who lives in Inland Empire, San Bernardino area, and that she's all freaked out because of all the earthquakes, because there's been a series of earthquakes. There third three quakes to hit the area on Monday, a three six at three five three. That that can be un nerving.
Speaker 2: If you feel them, right, Yeah, but when's the last time you felt well, maybe maybe I'm think.
Speaker 1: Be unnerved if I felt three, like one three point five. It's a novelty. It's making Deborah Mark freak out.
Speaker 3: If you felt another.
Speaker 1: In one day, I would be freaked out as well. But I had the exact same reaction you had. It's like what and then I thought about it, and I said, dude, that would freak me out.
Speaker 2: Do you remember the earthquake that was up off the coast, like up off the Mendocino coast and it was a couple you know, it was fifty miles or whatever it was. They are still seeing earthquakes along, I mean, yeah, sanm Bernardino. Yeah, you're gonna get a couple of earthquakes, but they're still seeing a lot off the coast, still feel them if you're in that air.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that that's what would concern me.
Speaker 1: Three points something in San Bernardino.
Speaker 3: Not worried.
Speaker 1: I guess you get used to it at some point.
Speaker 3: Well, and the concern.
Speaker 2: The concern is that it's you know, either releasing or creating the tension along the sind Andrea's fault, which will then crack and we all die or whatever.
Speaker 3: I mean, something's going to happen, whether.
Speaker 2: It's asteroid that's going to come and kill us in a couple of years, or the earthquake.
Speaker 3: Maybe the earthquake and the asteroid come at the same time. Maybe maybe they know something that we don't know, something.
Speaker 1: A little too fur Yeah, well, right now you'll just have to deal with a little bit of rain. The first in a wave of storms is here. It arrived overnight, as you can see. Katla's Kirk Hawkins, who is not Henry but I'm sure is wonderful nonetheless says that the first part of the storm, it's just a blob of moisture ahead of the main storm. I like that, just a blob of moisture. I like that over atmospheric River. Thank you, Kirk Hawkins. I like that moisture blob. A half inch of rain or less. We're going to give the much stronger storm to morrow, heavy downpower, significant rainfall rates, and that's when we're gonna have the danger of debris flow.
Speaker 2: The concern, obviously is the debris flow, specifically in those burn scar areas above Altadena and Pacific Palisades, and it is going to be an issue and there will be some damage as a result of it. Almost any amount of rain is going to cause some amount of damage. But as people continued to try to piece together their lives after the fires, especially those who had damaged to their homes or lost their homes, the Home insurance plan run by the state that is technically the last resort the California Fare Plan is out of money.
Speaker 1: Didn't we all kind of know that the fare Plan was kind of the wizard that the emperor had no clothes? Didn't we see the Fair Plan as being fallible from go the fact that this would be able to withstand a disaster that was probably inevitable here in California. There was just no chance. They have run out of money to pay the wave of claims stemming from the are going to receive a bailout of one billion dollars.
Speaker 2: It's money that's paid by the insurance companies that feed into the California Fair Plan. But that also means that you are paying into the insurance companies so that they can cover the billion dollars shortfall on behalf of the Fair Plan. I don't know how to fix this, and I don't know if there are smart enough people out there to try to fix this. It's the cost insurance crisis that we're seeing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the cost of doing business when you live in a place with wide sprawl and wild land and drought conditions, and that it's just the way it is.
Speaker 2: State Farm, the largest insurance company here in California, has gotten out of these wildfire areas. Last year, about seventy percent of the policies that they had in the zip code, that is, the Pacific Palisade's seventy percent, they didn't renew those, and that left residence obviously reliant on the Fair Plan.
Speaker 3: And these are not cheap homes.
Speaker 2: That's part of the issue is that both of these neighborhoods Altadena and Pacific Palisades Palisades obviously more so, these are expensive homes. So the cost of replacement, the cost of repair, all of that is very, very high. This billion dollar assessment that we're seeing is the largest in the history of the Fair Plan, which was created as far back as nineteen sixty eight, which I didn't realize it.
Speaker 3: Was that old.
Speaker 1: I bet you didn't realize. This fun fact about Abraham Lincoln I'm about to give to you waiting. It was April fourteenth, eighteen sixty five, that Lincoln signed legislation creating the US Secret Service. Did you know that? But it wasn't necessarily to protect.
Speaker 3: The president or dignitaria.
Speaker 1: Absolutely right. That came later. Do you know what else of note happened on April fourteenth, eighteen sixty five, Not just that link and sign the legislation creating the US Secret Service. But what else happened that day Gaysburg address. No, he was shot and killed the same day he created the Secret Service. That's right. So interesting that evening he was shot at Ford's theater. Now, to your point, the Secret Service would not have saved Lincoln if it was put into service that very moment that the pen went to paper. The original mission of the law enforcement agency was to combat widespread currency counterfeiting. It was not until nineteen oh one, until the killing of two other presidents, that the Secret Service was formally assigned to protect the commander in chief. Quite the pivot. You've got fake currency guys suddenly tasked with protecting the president, and now we've got women involved. My goodness, get it together, Secret Service. What's happening to this country? All right?
Speaker 2: A serial swater is getting it a pantload of prison time.
Speaker 1: This eighteen year old kids got some issues. I get it that this kid was doing it for money, But I mean, this type of volume of swatting calls, doesn't that indicate a larger issue with this person.
Speaker 2: That's what I was thinking, is that there's something else going on here. Yeah, White House is giving us another briefing Caroline Levitt the White House Press secretaries that they're talking about another American that has been released, in this case from Belarus. We don't know much about the details about who it is, as a matter of fact, because the Special Envoy for Hostage Affairs, Adam Bowler, had told reporters at the White House a few minutes ago that the American citizen who was released today by Belarus does not want to go public. There are also two non Americans that were part of this deal, including a journalist from Radio Free Europe.
Speaker 1: There was an article that I found. I think it was in something that was not main Oh, the cut is what it was. This is like a let's see, well their headings are style, self culture power to give you an idea. But the headline was this Trump staffers need a beauty blender. And they used this woman, the White House Press Press Secretary, as one of the people. Trump daughter in law was another one, Tulsi Gabbard, you know, Christy Noam is another one where they're going after the way these women are wearing makeup, And I thought to myself, wow, how how progressive, how progressive of you to go after females in positions of power and the makeup they're wearing. Wow, you time to look in the mirror and check yourself progressive.
Speaker 3: Well that's what happens.
Speaker 1: So a teenager in Lancaster has been sentenced to four years in prison. Went down yesterday. This was a kid who made more than three three hundred and seventy five hoax calls, threats to don't detonate bombs, conduct mass shootings, kill quoting here kill everyone he saw. He targeted high schools, colleges, universities, churches, government officials across the country.
Speaker 2: We'll call him Allan. He pleaded guilty to making interstate threats to injure others. That leads to massive law enforcement responses, renders officers on available to assist with other emergencies. According to the Department of Justice, hundreds and hundreds of calls from August of twenty twenty two to January of twenty four. But it's not just that he was making the calls. He was apparently a swater for hire who advertised his services of mass disruption January of twenty three. For example, on a social media post, he claimed that when he squatted someone, he usually got police to drag the victim and their families out of the house, cuff them, and search the house for dead bodies. In some instances, officers entered the targeted buildings with their weapons drawn and detained individuals who were in side. He was arrested on charges out of Florida connected to a threat that he made to a religious organization in Sandford, Florida. He threatened to commit a mass shooting at the site. Claimed to have elite have an illegally modified a AR fifteen o'clock seventeen, some pipe bombs, and some Molotov cocktail.
Speaker 1: Here a couple other anecdotes. In October twenty twenty two, we called the high school in Washington, threatened a mass shooting, claimed to have planted bombs throughout the school. In May of the following year, he called a historically black college and the University and University in North Florida. I claimed to have placed bombs in the walls and ceilings that would detonate in about an hour. A couple months later, he calls the police department in the US Attorney's Office in Texas. Falseley identified himself as a senior federal law enforcement officer provided the officer's home addressed to the dispatcher, claimed to have killed the officer's mother and threatened to kill any responding police officers. I mean, this was cinematic stuff. So what's going on with this kid? Well, not that he's a kid anymore. It's funny that you and I kind of came to the same conclusion.
Speaker 2: There's somebody who repeatedly does something almost anything, but something as attention grabbing and serious as this gets something out of it.
Speaker 1: Where are the parents? What's the story? That's my questions.
Speaker 2: There's that There's also the first example that I thought of when I saw this was remember the woman who was caught getting onto airplanes without a ticket? Yeah, that was that boiled down to a mental health issue.
Speaker 1: Sure, but where's her family and.
Speaker 2: Where's the family right to keep an eye on you? If if Aunt Susie shows some specific tendencies that you know are born out of mental health issues, you kind of have a responsibility to keep an eye on something.
Speaker 1: You know, if you crack up in the eleven o'clock out, I'm not going to just let you go crack up and be crazy cuckoo pants in the wild. I'm going to make sure I've got at least a leashanya or something, some kind of you know, I call your wife. There's some sort of net to protect the greater public from your cuckoo pants ness.
Speaker 3: My cuckoo pants ness.
Speaker 1: Just let you out in the wild after you've cracked, because I'm not I haven't real doubt I do have.
Speaker 3: A license to be cuckoo pants in public. What do you mean it's concealed cuckoo pants?
Speaker 1: This is what I'm talking about. You're talking crazy, You're talking gibberish.
Speaker 3: Why do you want to talk about the Westminster?
Speaker 1: Because I thought that you might have a reaction to it.
Speaker 3: I do, I do? You don't want to hear it?
Speaker 1: I this is what I this is what I'm asking for. I see dog show news. I don't care. I could, I do not care. I am not a dog person. I'm not a show dog person. I love Best in Show, great movie, one of my favorites. But I I know that you have this like visceral reaction to other dogs and dog breeds and when people place other dog breeds above your dog breed and what that does to you. And sometimes I just like to watch the cuckoo pants explode on the air. In about an hour. Justin Worsham, host of The Dad Podcast, will join us. We'll be talking about signs you're being too hard on your kids. Is that something I would imagine that that is something that's on your mind on the regular when you're raising kids. Am I being too lenient or too strict? And it's a constant battle?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Oh? Really?
Speaker 2: Well for some people, yes, I would imagine it is. And that's as Justin will I assume tell you that probably is a sign that you're just fine. I mean that you're even concerned about something like that is an okay thing. But I think people don't care a lot. Some people just don't care. Yeah, they just do what their parents did, regardless of whether they think it's too.
Speaker 3: Much or too little.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes sense, And it.
Speaker 2: Doesn't stop because then you think, after you're done parenting at the legal age of eighteen or any time beyond that, you think, what did I do? Then that is resulting in what is happening now? It has nothing to do with you, right, But that's hard for you to swallow, right, Sorry, that's hard for me to swallow.
Speaker 1: It's it's just that it's funny that you think, and I it's sometimes my mom will say, so, where did you learn that? Why did you you know? How do you know that? Or whatever? It's like, not everything happened under your nose. I'm forty five. I'm going to be forty five years old. Like, there's a lot that is happening, Like the majority of that life in my formative years, you say, the majority of your life has been spent out right right right right. So it's just kind of funny. But I think you always think of your kids that way, you know, and then when it comes to punishment, Yeah, a lot of it is what you learned growing up. But what if, like your parents beat the hell out of you. Yeah, then you're kind of coming from from nowhere. You're like, what do I do now? I'm not going to hit my kid? Well, it's the next best thing.
Speaker 2: President Trump has upended three years of American policy towards Ukraine. He says that he and President Vladimir Putin of Russia have agreed to begin negotiations on an ending that war. Following a dramatic prisoner swap from yesterday, The president said in a social media post that he and Putin did have a lengthy phone call today during which they committed to work together very closely to bring the conflict to an end. According to CNN, Trump also spoke with Ukrainian President Vladimir Zelenski. The Ukrainian presidential adviser characterized their conversation as a good conversation. In DC, the Senate confirmed Tulsey Gabbert as President Trump's Director of National Intelligence. The vote came today after Republicans who had initially questioned her experience and her judgment did fall in line behind the nomination. And we'll talk more in Swamp Watch about what's going on with Doze. There was a subcommittee hearing earlier today talking about Doge. Elon wels Musk was not there, but the term d pic came in.
Speaker 1: Always elevates the discourses.
Speaker 3: Yes, very nice.
Speaker 1: Well, the Westminster Best in Show competition was held, and what a story of victory this is. For my best in.
Speaker 5: Show at the ninth annual Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, I choose the Giant Schnauzer.
Speaker 1: Giant Schnauzer, the Giant Schnauzer as a name. His name is Monty and Monty has come close in the last two years and he has finally taken the top prize. His handler, Katie, was almost too emotional to speak. This schnauzer bested six other finalists to become the first of his breed tapped as Westminster's Best in Show. What a feat for Monty the giant Schnauzer. You are apoplectic. You came in sour moves today and I know it's because of this.
Speaker 2: The sky terrier took the terrier group, a sky terrier named Archer.
Speaker 1: Guess who came in second place in the terrier group. I don't know.
Speaker 2: The Scottish terrier came in second place in the tear How in the world is that even possible?
Speaker 3: They should have their own group for one.
Speaker 1: Thing, the no leg group. We have no legs. We have no legs.
Speaker 3: Why do you think the Scottish terriers have no legs?
Speaker 1: Because they're so supposed to just be looked at and cuddled and not wanting for a living.
Speaker 3: What did they do?
Speaker 1: Nothing?
Speaker 3: Wrong? Also wrong?
Speaker 1: They sit, They have big heads, they say, look at my big head.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they can grab the badgers I'm just saying it and pull them out of their holes.
Speaker 3: Face first.
Speaker 1: Think if they did a little less head, a little bit more leg we'd have more Best in Show winners.
Speaker 2: Other finalists the whipp it named the Bourbon came in, runner up the beschon Friese name Neil, the sky terrier I mentioned named Archer, and a sheet sou called Comet started to yell man, well, explain to me what a giant Schnauzer is beyond Well.
Speaker 1: It's proportional. I'll tell you that.
Speaker 2: A Scottish terrier with a glandular problem problem, it's it's portional, proportional.
Speaker 1: Unlike the Scottish terrier that has no legs. The legs are this pick and then the head's this bick. I just there's got to be a happy medium, right, It's not a Goldilocks dog. And I'll give you that.
Speaker 3: There was some controversy last night.
Speaker 1: Really tell me more. I love controversy.
Speaker 3: Somebody from Peta jumped into the ring and they had to.
Speaker 1: Be wearing blood or something.
Speaker 3: No, they were holding a sign.
Speaker 1: What did the sign say, I'm a jackass? Thankfully, No, I'm a dumb ass.
Speaker 3: Saw what it was.
Speaker 1: I need a life. I need to go to Michael's and get a hobby.
Speaker 2: Animals being treated better than those animals and crack.
Speaker 1: You want to know what Monty ate last night? He ate better than you've ever eaten. Problemly, come on, PETERA does not belong to the Westminster Dog Show.
Speaker 2: Go to Sea World or whatever the hell you people do. What I think is great is that Monty now gets to retire. He's going out on top, best in show at Westminster, He goes out on top. But like, what does he do in retirement? Like, how do you know what he does in retirement? If he's best at show at Westminster, he only makes baby makes in show.
Speaker 1: Baby banks for the rest of his life. That is what I was just gonna make a really bad joke, but it was why are you stopping now?
Speaker 3: Nothing has ever stopped you before.
Speaker 1: No, I can't do it. I can't do it. But he has gotten his reward before. He has made it to heaven. Okay, do you want to link in fun fact?
Speaker 2: Yes, before we move on to their cat story to cleanse our palate from all the crazy dog stuff.
Speaker 1: Okay, where we last left you had created the secret Service. He had signed the legislation doing so on the very day that he was shot and killed at Ford's Theater. Now, as we mentioned Secret Service, as you so correctly said, was formed to combat currency corruption forged currency. So they were not going to come to Lincoln's protection had they even been in service that same day that they were signed into law. But they did come to his protection in death. In eighteen seventy six, a gang of Chicago counterfeitters attempted to snatch Lincoln's body from his tomb. The tomb at the time protected by just a single padlock. Where you ask, excellent question, Oakridge Cemetery in Springfield, Illinois. Their scheme was to hold the corpse for a ransom of two hundred thousand dollars. This was in eighteen seventy six, so that's a S ten of monies, and they wanted to get the release of the gang's best counterfeitter from prison. However, the Secret Service agents back then in eighteen seventy six infiltrated the gang and were lying in wait to disrupt the operation of the corpse thievery. His body was quickly moved to an unmarked grave and eventually encased in a steel cage and entombed under ten feet of concrete. That great, that's fun.
Speaker 3: These are all fun. I've never heard of these before.
Speaker 1: This is what we do for you. My sister in law texted me a picture of my youngest nephew with his lady interest holding up a big poster board. Will you be my Valentine?
Speaker 3: Surely?
Speaker 1: Is it with flowers with her favorite color lilac?
Speaker 3: Are they celebrating with our Valentines?
Speaker 1: I have no idea. I saw a kid at the Starbucks, two kids, boy and a girl, and she had like a box of like gummy bears and little Valeyalentine's Day things that I'm assuming he gave her. Is this a thing now? And in the high schools? Is there doing Valentine's Day? I don't remember that. They're not having sex, they're not posal thing. Yeah, Valentine's Day.
Speaker 3: I remember Valentine's Day, But.
Speaker 1: Right, I don't remember any sort of big showing of public, this big showing of love, whether it be in a Valentine's gift or a poster and the text messages I love you so much. And then there's no sex and there's no real communication. I mean that's fine, right, Like there's just these like big gestures of love, but yet they follow through. It's just fine, it said, it's later too.
Speaker 2: When you were sixth grade, seventh grade, eighth grade, you could do that, but you would pass notes and like you had said, was it last week or the week before, you were talking about.
Speaker 1: The Valentine's Dave or whatever's name was.
Speaker 2: You were going out with him, but then he broke up with you, and you never actually said anything to each other. No, that was Chrish, Chris, all of those men, and you left.
Speaker 1: It was eighth grade, and he asked me to be his girlfriend at recess through somebody else, through friends of friends, and then we were boyfriend and girlfriend. Never spoke for a week, and then he broke up with me one recess. Right, but that's all. That's all eighth grade stuff.
Speaker 2: By the time you're in high school, you at least have some of that actual communication face to face a lot of time. Right, This seems like we'd but now it's just texting each other.
Speaker 1: You're just texting each other.
Speaker 4: You're not speaking Good morning guys, Doctor Ron who wanted to beat Doctor Ron about why you get shorter as you get older in your spine you have vertebrates and discs, and when you're born, the discs are well hydrated, lots of fluid in the discs.
Speaker 5: As you get older, the discs dry out, so as you get older, the space between the vertebrates actually shrinks, and you do shrink as you get older. I just want to give you some health advice. You have a great day, love your show, good bye, Thank you.
Speaker 1: It's true, that's kind of sad. You just parents seem like they shrink.
Speaker 2: Do you just stay hydrated? I mean, and it's got why during the entire comp.
Speaker 6: We're not allowed to keep a leash on Aunt Susie. Look at the laws, look at the homeless population. This is why Aunt Susie's out there doing drugs, living.
Speaker 1: A life, jumping on, being crazy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because nobody's allowed to legally control Aunt Susie. Once Aunt Susie is over eighteen.
Speaker 1: Years old, she's given her dog a haircuts.
Speaker 2: That sounds like it's Truman or Giant Schnauzer. It seems like oy. That sounded weird, didn't it.
Speaker 3: Uh? It seems like that.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 3: We have said before.
Speaker 2: One of the things that we do agree with gat a newssim on is the care court system that he's helped set up.
Speaker 4: Hey, everybody knows Gary is the dumb one that was part.
Speaker 2: Of all of it, giant schnauzers. Oh god, oh god, time for quick terror in the sky.
Speaker 7: Oh my god, that was right up there at the money.
Speaker 3: It's Gary and Shannon's terror in the skies on k.
Speaker 1: I Well, as if a Ryan Air flying Ryanair isn't bad enough, A cat is going viral after sneaking aboard a Ryanair flight and forcing the flight to be delayed for two days. It had been scheduled to fly from Rome to Germany last week when the crew heard a strange meowing sound coming from the aircraft just before takeoff? What did it sound like?
Speaker 3: Can I? Can I push back on the strange meowing sound? Meowing is not that strange?
Speaker 1: What if it was an odd meow like?
Speaker 3: It was like a like a It was like a.
Speaker 2: Again, also not uncommon and not necessarily strange. But maintenance workers removed several panels from the airplane and they found the cat hiding in an electrical bay.
Speaker 1: Oh cute. I don't know what it is with cats and electrical things. One of my brother found a cat in a wall, I think with the electrical stuff in a wall. I don't know. Was it alive? I don't know. Yeah, it was awful. The cat was awful. It was an awful cat. I called it Osama or I called it the terroced.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: The cat ran away from the maintenance workers who were trying to get it to the wiring, forcing the flight to be canceled over safety reasons. They had to remove several more panels to find the cat. It kept moving to different parts of the plane. Eventually, the cat evacuated the aircraft, voluntarily, making its way through an open door and down the stairs before it walked across the runway. The plane had to be grounded for two days before it was able to pick back up any flights.
Speaker 3: They said they want.
Speaker 2: They had to double check, not only put the panels all back, but double check and make sure that the cat hadn't gotten into and damaged any of the electrical.
Speaker 1: See. That would be alarming, wasn't it.
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: But that sounds more like a bird?
Speaker 4: Was that?
Speaker 1: Seriously? Me, Jacob, you do what you sound like?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: I did not know that that sound came from me. No, Wow, that's terrifying. Miss any part of the show. We're back and listen to the podcast.
Speaker 2: Go to KFI AM six forty dot com, slash Gary and Shannon or anywhere you find your podcast.
Speaker 3: Just search for Gary and.
Speaker 1: Shannon Stephen King stuff right there. Oh my god, stop it.
Speaker 2: Swamp watch when we come back to Gary and Shannon. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app