Speaker 1: The Thinking Atheist. It's not a person, it's a symbol, an idea.
Speaker 2: The population of atheists this country is going through the.
Speaker 1: Rule, rejecting faith, pursuing knowledge, challenging the sacred. If I tell the truth, it's because I tell the truth, not.
Speaker 3: Because I put my hand on a book and made a wish.
Speaker 1: And working together for a more rational world.
Speaker 4: Take the risk of thinking. Feel so much more happiness. Truth, Fusian wisdom will come to you that way.
Speaker 1: Assume nothing, question everything, and start thinking. This is the Thinking Atheist podcast hosted by Seth Andrews.
Speaker 4: We talk a lot about the Bible being written by men and how Christians are often saying, you know, it's it's a pro woman book. And I want to get into that with the authors of a new book just released. It's called Clearly Written by Boys, A Woman's Guide to the Bible, written by Karis Burkowski and Dave Fitzgerald, and they joined me here. So good to see you both.
Speaker 2: Absolutely great to see you, Chris.
Speaker 4: I know that you've done some writing in the past about the man made nature of gods. I just did a speech on this. I'm always referring to my previous speeches and because you know how it is. You do this long enough, and there's always a reference work in the queue in the holster. But we see our gods that look like us, and so this is this is very familiar territory for you, right.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I mean the first book was Why Men Made God? And then this time when David came up with the idea clearly written by boys, I just jumped on it. I loved it because it's so much more appropriate like that. The nature of that thinking behind why it was written that way is far more like a bunch of nineteen year old in celts than it is about you know, mature men.
Speaker 4: It is a biblical Mannosphere. Oh, we're going to talk about that. David Fitzgerald, historical researcher, is a buddy. We've known each other forever because we're always talking about his heretical works, including Nailed Jesus, Mything and Action Playing God. The Evolutionary History of World Religion is book on the Mormons, you blasphemer going after God.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's fun, it's a living.
Speaker 4: Well all right, let's before we get into more unfamiliar territory, because this is a well versed audience sewing in the bimless misogynistic, and it was even the garden and blah blah blah. But you guys take a much much deeper dive, which is why I wanted to have the conversation. But we got to talk about Eve. So Eve is tempted by the snake. The snake's whispering in Eve's ear, she whispers in Adam's ear. God is somehow surprised, and then he gets pissed, and there are punishments. Now, the punishment for Adam is to he's going to have to labor on the land, but the punishment for Eve is a labor of a different kind. Caros will start with you even the garden. You want to get into some of the problems there.
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, her big punishment is because she's seeking knowledge. I mean the serpent, which we kind of talk a little bit about being a character out of the old Great Goddess kind of stories, the pre biblical belief system when the Great Mother was the birther of all life on the planet and all of that. But the serpent whispers to her that she can gain knowledge. Wants to gain knowledge, so she takes the apple. Well, that's just can't be. That's just the biggest crime ever. So you know that's what makes God meant so he punishes her physically. She's going to have pain and suffering and all that kind of stuff, and she's going to be lusting after her husband. I'm not sure which interpretation of those words we talked about.
Speaker 2: How it can be desire for your husband. Yes, you shall rule over you.
Speaker 4: No, I totally. I totally read it as you will want to have sex, you will have sexual desire, and this is part of Eve's curse. In fact, it was how my sisters were taught about biblical womanhood in our very evangelical home. So yeah, I mean that's how I read it, Keras anyway, okay, but.
Speaker 2: It's interesting how many different ways you can spin that, and none of them are particularly good for women.
Speaker 4: Okay. So, by the way, for the pedantic in the audience, we know the Bible doesn't say apple, but Christian tradition apple, right, we got even the apple. That's how we come to I'm just I'm getting in front of it for you, Kiris, because I know where you're going with that. You included a poem in the first part of the book, and I just want to read it. It's very short by Daniel Coffin. It's titled If Adam Picked the Apple, and it says there would be a parade, a celebration, a holiday to commemorate the day he sought enlightenment. We would not speak of temptation by the devil. Rather, we would laud Adam's curiosity is desire for adventure and knowing we would feast on apple inspired fair torts, Chutney's pancakes, pies. There would be plays and songs re enacting his courage. But it was Eve who grew bored, weary of her captivity in Eden. And a woman's desire for freedom is rarely a cause for celebration. Powerful stuff that.
Speaker 5: Is so good. Where when we discover that poem, like it's perfect fit.
Speaker 4: Interesting that it's a sexual punishment for Eve, like for Adam. You're gonna work your ass off, there will be weeds on the land. Okay, fine, Eve, it's gonna hurt like a mother to reproduce, and you're gonna have the hots for your husband, who will rule over you. I just mind that. Fascinating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And of course it's the it's the woman's fault that men get horny for her because you know it's it's woman's desire. Yet, you know, we don't hear much about husband rape in history. We hear a lot about spousal rape, you know, of wives.
Speaker 4: I know it's going to be a subjective answer. And we see a ton of female evangelical preachers leader figures here in the twenty first century. But it's been the case for the longest time. You know what comes to mind, off Rod, We've got Joyce Meyer, we got Beth Moore, we got Paula White, we got Victoria Ostein, et cetera. Many of these people are just freaking celebrity, best selling millionaire, celebrity pastors. How do you think these people reconcile their leadership with two Timothy? You know the woman be silent thing, Karrots, you're a woman, do you have any thoughts on that?
Speaker 3: Well, they just figured out how they can use the religion to buy into the patriarchy and get some power, so they're going for it.
Speaker 4: So you think they're using the system.
Speaker 3: Religion as a tool, so they will use these women as helpers to use it as a tool.
Speaker 2: And honestly, at the end of the day, they're quistlings. They're selling out their own sex for their own money comfort power.
Speaker 4: Because they're not just preaching to women. I don't think. I think they're preaching to everybody.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, and yet, yeah, there's any number of Bible verses you could throw at them for to not do that. And yet somehow, the fact that they are as successful as they are shilling for this toxic message that they're selling, it's just heinous. It's really heinous, and it's it's just another example of Christian hypocrisy. It's like they're all set to throw a Bible verse at things they don't like, stuff like this. It's explicitly forbidden in their own scriptures.
Speaker 4: No problem with it, Keros. I know Dave's background. Did you come out of a fundy faith or have you always been smarter than me?
Speaker 3: No? I was very much a good little Christian. My sort of moment when I lost it was in confirmation class. I was an evangelical Lutheran and we were in Confirmation class and we were learning about transubstantiation and consinstantiation. You know, where the priests is the magic words and then the bread and the crackers turns into the body and blood of Christ and then we're supposed to eat it. And I freaked out in the middle of confirmation classes and I'm not doing that.
Speaker 5: That's cannibalism.
Speaker 3: And that I got told to talk to him behind after the class, and things just fell apart from there. That was the moment when I started looking at all of it and thinking, this is.
Speaker 5: This is nonsense.
Speaker 4: I hear a lot of stories like that, the curious young Catholic and then the nuns sort of slapping among the knuckles with the rulers, so to speak. You know of scenario on well, you're too much trouble, and then often they just get booted. You know what, we don't like questions, have a nice life, We'll see you later. Did that happen to you?
Speaker 3: No. He kept trying to recruit me and I because it was a very like it's a small town and there was a tight Christian town, and I would have been shunned at high school. I would like, everything would have been a terrible thing if I said, no, I'm not going to do confirmation and this is crap. So I had to go along with it and just not say anything.
Speaker 4: I'll admit though, that I don't know much about the Lutherans and their teachings about women. Was it subjugation teaching in the Lutheran Church.
Speaker 3: Not overtly, but it was still the man was the ruler of the family and you know, closer to God. And we still had wear head coverings in church and stuff like that back then. It's not so much anymore, but it was pretty pretty traditional in those.
Speaker 4: Ways, written by boys. This Bible, let's stay in the Old Testament for a second, and I'll just let you take it where you want. But I got to start with Jezebel. So I walk into it a Sunday morning, Sunday school classroom, say the word Jezebel. I'm guessing I'll bet you twenty bucks. The first thing that pops into the brain to the people in the room slot murderer. Right, Jezbel. I'll start with you, I guess, Dave, you want to tell me about Jezebel, Describe who Jezebel allegedly was and what the story is here.
Speaker 2: Well, we've got two Jezebel's. We can talk about the one in the Bible that we get the most worst person you can imagine, or we can talk about the real person whose name was not Jezebel. By the way, it's not even her real name, Ihabeil, who was not only a real person, and you can't say that about a lot of people in the Old Testament, but she her husband's family, their dynasty. They were the first royal family that put Yahweh on the map as a god. Before them, yahwas just one more storm God worshiped by the ancient Judaeans and the ancient Israelites and Samaritans. So the ironies just start dog by them so fast. Jayhu, who wiped them all out, killed them in the Bible. This he's God's guy, He's God's hero doing all this. In real life, he was one of the golden calf worshipers at Shiloh. That was his So he was a heretic. So the irony that these guys hundreds of years at least three hundred years later writing this story, are making the people who put Yahweh on the map heretics, murderers, bad guys, and their killer held up as God's anointed when he was in fact a heretic himself. It's it's mind blowing.
Speaker 4: Well, when you say, in real life, how do you verify that? Are there rather historical records that document the character of Jezebel.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, unlike most like ninety nine of everybody in the Old Testament and of everybody we know and love from Sunday School, Jezebel was a real person. And we have Greek sources for her. We know her family, and we know who she was married into. We have Assyrian records about them and about the the guy who wiped out their whole line. What her real what she was real like as a person, will never know that because they don't tell her story from her point of view. They tell it from their point of view. And to them, the biggest crime was that they were so successful, because in real life they would have loved somebody who stood for yahweh as much as that family did.
Speaker 3: And in the first the first five sections, we take five characters of women from the Bible and we have them tell their story in.
Speaker 5: Their own voice.
Speaker 3: So we have Jezebel introduced as this fifteen year old getting sent off to marry a king in a different kingdom, and her whole story from there all told in her voice, and then we go on and do a commentary about all of the parts of that story so we can wear a whole different character. Like all the things, all the facts, still happen, but the how and the why in the way are different.
Speaker 4: Well, I noticed you did it with Adam and Eve write off the bat, so clever to say, rather than read chapter and verse, we're going to tell the story and we're going to really humanize it and contextualize it and paint a three D verbal picture. And to do that with these characters is fascinating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think we were really faithful to telling the story as it is in the Bible. We didn't go off on preagey tangents, but we did make the switch of telling it from her point of view and having the character tell us her story.
Speaker 4: I love the Genesis account where they're hiding from God in shame God's wander around the garden like he's not on to care. Wait a minute, I thought God could see everything into it. How do you hide from God? I don't understand that. It just makes no sense to me. Delilah was another sort of Old Testament villain in a lot of ways. Caros, I'll start with you tell me about Delilah.
Speaker 3: Oh, well, we have Delilah meeting Samson at at the fair. So well, they're sitt in the marketplace and she's with her her girlfriends, and she's looking at this hot guy and she's going, yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Know he's a bad dude. I think I can wrap am out.
Speaker 4: She likes the bad boys.
Speaker 5: He likes the bad boys.
Speaker 3: So she starts walking across towards him, and he sees her coming and he's looking at her like, oh, yeah, honey, I think so. And so it's just all effects of the you know, like that when they kill him and all the things they do to him and everything, but it's all told from her perspective. And so she's having fun with this story and all those times where where they tell her to find out how to tie them up with things that he can't break out of, and and we have like sex gigs like where they're times and stuff like it's different.
Speaker 4: It's old Testament sex tape. These are words I never would have put in the same sentence myself. Hey, if you want to jump on here, I was going to say, do you want to jump on Delilah? Let me rephrase it. Would you like to talk about Delilah from your perspective?
Speaker 2: We don't just tell the story. I mean we do tell the story, and that's super fun, but then we give commentary after it. It's like, yeahs are always saying, oh, you're taking out of context. Oh well, let's give the context then, and when you do, you find that the story is even worse than we already think. I mean, we all sort of know that the Bible's misogynistic, we all sort of know that the Bible puts women down. But when you actually do a little bit of a deeper dive into just how these stories were written, why they're written, and what's happening, you know, in the context of these stories, it's even worse. It's even worse. And that's true whether you're talking about Old Testament or are they're talking about the New Testament.
Speaker 4: More on some of the lesser known women in the Old Testament, and then we got to get into the New Testament with Jesus and Paul and some of the tragic attitudes and writings about women. I will continue with my special guest next next up on the conference Roster Nashville, Tennessee. It is Nanocon. What a lineup for that. Matt de la Hunty promised Backland Hemmet, Metta, Glenda Jordan, Forrest Valkei, and so many others. Also in August, the World Humanist Congress Baja con those are both in Canada. The Unholy Trinity Reunion that's in Fort Worth, Texas the last Saturday in August. The FFRF National Convention in Milwaukee October sixteenth through the eighteenth, and then Rocket City Reason Huntsville, Alabama, October twenty third through the twenty fifth. Details links everything you need the Thinkingatheist dot com slash events. Authors of the book clearly written by boys Keris Berkowski and Dave Fitzgerald. You got a couple of illustrators. You want to introduce your illustrators for me?
Speaker 3: Yeah. One of them is David Hayward, who's a cartoonist and a lot of the people that are on this, they're watching you right now. I might actually know him because he's called the Naked Pastor. He used to be a minister and now he does cartoons and they're they're sort of religious themed and with things that we take two pages to describe, he can put in one cartoon and there it is, right in your face.
Speaker 2: And he was so on board right from the get go, sin As we told him aout the project. He was, Yeah, the board and his cartoon just nail it. I mean so many stuff was just absolutely perfect.
Speaker 4: Well, Hayward's interesting to me, right because he's a Christian, right.
Speaker 2: It was, he's a deconstructing Christian. If not you fully because I was going.
Speaker 4: To say, cartoons go hard at the Bible, the foundational text of Christianity, and he's given shit to the Bible all the time, and I thought, this is this is a weird believer.
Speaker 2: Weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's very pro LGBT and his Jesus is very pro LGBT, and that's that's kind of cool to see that happen.
Speaker 4: I mean I like him, I really do admire and admirers.
Speaker 3: Okay good yeah, yeah yeah. As soon as we told him about it, he was right on board. So we've got sixty five of his cartoons in the book.
Speaker 4: And you're second illustrator, Kathleen or kat Hardy.
Speaker 3: The second illustrator is a female, and she has drawn portraits of the seven I guess women that we really talk about the five at the beginning that we tell their story and then Mary both Mary's very magnalate and married mother of Jesus, so we would give her a topic, like we asked her to do a Mary mother Mary, and so she sent us one usual you know Mary with the downcast eyes or you know, like the usual sweet, modest Mary. And we said no, no, no, no, no, no no. We told her what else to do. So she did this, and yeah, that's much better.
Speaker 5: She's got to be looking up.
Speaker 4: A So how many Mary's are there in the New ten? There's Magdalene, and then there's the other Mary and the Mary. Matter of mean, how many Marys am I talking about? Here?
Speaker 2: We focus on two of them, Virgin Mary and Mary Magdalene, but even though there are multiple versions of those two women as well. And it's it's ironic because in a way we have many Mary's, in another way, we have almost no Mary of any of them. If we didn't have the Book of John, we wouldn't know anything about Mary Magdalen really. If we didn't have the Book of Luke, we wouldn't know anything really about the Virgin Mary. It's it's so amazing that we've got these tiny little slivers in the Bible, and yet it's blown up since to become, you know, a whole cot industry of Mary Magdalene and uh, the Da Vinci code, all that stuff, you know it. It was like the legend, the medieval legends of Mary Magdalene just keep getting bigger and bigger and bigger, bigger.
Speaker 3: And we talk about the fact that the real Mary Mage, if it was a real, real anything in there. Mary Magdalen was a disciple, and she was a She gave them money, she helped them, she did all this kind of stuff. And then this one pope gets confused and configures he's he conflates her with the woman the sinner, you know whatever, and and from then on she becomes, uh, this despicable Harlotte who's.
Speaker 5: Trying to be forgiven and just totally messes her up. And so we talk a lot about that.
Speaker 4: So back to the Old Testament. Everybody knows there's a book of Ruth. Nobody knows anything about Ruth like Hell is Ruth.
Speaker 3: Oh we have great But with that, she tells her own story too, and so okay, she's doing the with it thou goist and she's so sweet and innocent and everything. And we talk in the commentary, we talk about, well, what's really going on in the country at that time and how would she have been treated after marrying somebody from outside of her land and now he's dead and she doesn't have a man to look after her.
Speaker 5: So Mary Naomi wants to go away, so she wants to go with her because what the heck guess is she gonna do?
Speaker 3: And then we get her back in Judea and she meets Boaz in the grain field, right, and she goes back and tells Naomi, and Naoi gives her this sole planable, this is what you're gonna do. Hun You can get all dressed up in your best stop it puts a perfume one you're gonna sneak over there in the middle of the night. And so we talk about all that, and that's a story you don't usually hear very often. So and we give her agency like she's doing this on purpose because she wants to preserve her life and find somebody will take care of her and Naomi. And then at the very end, after she has the baby and marries him and everything that she has the baby, they take the baby and they give it to Naomi and they say, oh, Naomi, is that a child? And it's so like the Handmaid's Tale, like it's just you can't you can't miss it. It's great, Like, yeah, we have fun with that one too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is another case where the context really blows, uh blows your mind. So we blow your mind twice with every single character.
Speaker 4: Does remind me I'm not as familiar with Ruth in the Old Testament? Is she is that story played like she's sort of a hero of the faith or does it go there?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And ironically, if it had been a moad Bite girl saying to a Jewish girl saying to her Mobiite mother in law, oh, your people will be my people, your gods will be my gods, you know, we would hate her. She'd be a filthy idolatry. But yeah, and.
Speaker 4: Then we've got Esther, who eventually would become the queen of Persia. I don't know if there was a real Esther or not. I'm just familiar with the biblical Esther.
Speaker 2: Story though a great story. And we talked, and that's another thing we do, is we talk about how we know these stories are just made up BS stories and not based on real people. And there's lots of reasons, there's lots of giveaways that do that, and and so we don't just talk about the origins of them, but we talked about how they were interpreted later and how Perham came out of that, and there's just so much more behind all these stories that's fun to get into.
Speaker 4: But I mean, how many of these, like the christ myth et cetera, were borrowed from other or surrounding mythologies. A bunch of them, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely. And one of the things I keep going back to is one of the reasons I like Jessicbel so much, not her real name, but that character so much, is that she's one of the very very few people in the entire Old Testament who's a real person and that we actually have historical sources for, and we know who her niece was, and you know these things, and it's it's wild to me how many of them are just not And this is how we know the story of Ruth is made up. This is how we know the story of Esther is made up. It's just one thing after another.
Speaker 3: And so the book is in three sections. The first section is five stories of five important women in the Bible, told from their perspective, and then the commentary that goes with them. Then there's a great Then there are a bunch of topics like menopaus and like menstruation, which is you know, like unclean, unclean, all that stuff.
Speaker 4: Depart the camp for seven days until now stop bleeding it and then thou might return kind of thing.
Speaker 3: And a big section on virginity, because the virginity, the whole thing about making virginity such a big deal leads to so many things like making young girls the one that you want to go after, which then we kind of kind of tie it into the Epstein wells and we did, you know, like there's a whole lot of stuff in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there's some very interesting things when you get into the nitty gritty of what the Bible says, who the Bible says you can have sex with, and who you can't, but mostly who you can have sex with. There's some really jaw dropping moments in that chapter.
Speaker 4: Without being too graphic. I mean, I always it has to be asked, so I will ask the question. But if god soldiers go in and they kill the Midianites and capture the virgin girls, and if you're going to take a woman and test her for her virginity, how's that done? In the Old Testament times? I mean, it's now my brain is going to some very dark places. Does anybody else ask those questions?
Speaker 2: Book? Is it provokes all these conversations, that provokes all these questions. That's what we're really loving about it from the reaction of the people who've read it so far.
Speaker 3: Right, and we even talk about how there's a kind of surgery you can have done now in the modern world that rebuilds the hymen, so you can conte that you were a virgin, like I mean, we talked about how that's being done in various countries, and we've met female doctors talking about that stuff.
Speaker 5: Now we go right into it, we do.
Speaker 4: You've got a chapter in your book called your Hymen or Your Life, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because why if you didn't bleed on your wedding night and there weren't signs of blood on the sheets, then you got stone to death.
Speaker 4: Let's come back to clearly written by boys. I'm reversing in my brain the King Solomon scenario. Right, So let's say it was Ruth or Naomi or you know, one of the Mary's or whatever that had seven hundred spouses and three hundred male concubines. How would that have gone over in the older New Testament, right.
Speaker 2: And there's so many things like that that they just throw it out and we just we've heard it all our lives, so we don't think about it. But when you stop and think about it, well, if this is the other way around, it changes their perspective.
Speaker 4: Well, Karis, if I'm talking to someone who is talking, I mean, let's get into the this relates to today as we see the people that are going after LGBT marriage, et cetera, and they're saying one man, one woman biblical marriage, and these same people are okay with seven hundred wives and three hundred concubines, Keras, how do you think they get around that?
Speaker 3: Well, they like what they like. They just take it from what they want, just like the whole Bible's written by guys who wanted to make things be the way.
Speaker 5: They want them to be. So yeah, it's really not We've.
Speaker 3: Got a section and I was just trying to find the cartoon it shows my vout marriage.
Speaker 4: With the Biblical I've got one illustration queued up and it's got this. It's got a man sitting on what looks like a throne with a crown, and he's surrounded by hot babes, and Christians are okay with that. They're like, ah, hey, King Solomon, what an admirable figures? And then the other Then I come back to more logistics, Well, how do you how do you deal with one thousand, seven hundred wives and three You wouldn't need an Excel spreadsheet to keep up with your own relationships?
Speaker 3: Is all a really nice section about when the queen esther, when she gets chosen to be one of the concubines before she becomes the queen, and we describe what that would have been like, like what the what the concubine facilities were for the king?
Speaker 5: It's yeah, we we have a lot of fun with all these topics.
Speaker 2: It's a fun book. It takes you places you didn't know you were going to go.
Speaker 4: So, when we talk about rape culture in the Bible outright, but especially in the ot, is it true that the rape of a woman was not considered as much a violation of the woman but a property crime against a man.
Speaker 3: Goes right, and you could pay the father some money because you've rapped his daughter, and he could accept that money, and then she would have to marry him and live with this rapist and you know, the father could say, yeah, that's fine and let that happen, or he could say, no, you don't have to marry him, but the guy still has to pay him money.
Speaker 2: But her opinion has no part happen to do with it, however whatsoever.
Speaker 4: I have this trick that I occasionally use. Some people agree with that, some people don't. But I get into the kidnapping of the virgins, and you can keep her for thirty days and change your appearance, and if she doesn't please you, you can release her like a straight cat. And the buying and selling of women, how they're devalued by half, and the bitter water test, where if she's suspected of adultery, you drink the thing. And I always I start with I read these horrible things in the Quran. Islam is such a barbaric religion, and the Christians like, this is horrific? How can anyone believe this? And then I pull the rug out from underneath him. Some people think that's an a dishonest and underhanded approach. It may be, but I do it.
Speaker 2: I do so yes, what they instantly do, it's like, oh, wait, oh, you're taking that seth oh it's really beautiful and wonderful, or.
Speaker 4: Even more alarming, is divine command theory or vertical morality? Well, if God wants it that way, then it becomes moral by default, which is terrifying.
Speaker 3: We talk about the fact that this has led to even modern like in modern times, and I think it was in the sixties in Italy you could still do rape marriage like you could rape a girl. And we talked about a specific case and give the chapter in verson names of the newspapers have talked about it, even where this guy captured a girl out of her house and raped her, took her away with her his buddies for a while, and then let her go back and went to the father and said I want to marry her, and she was supposed to marry him, and that was the law of the land at the time.
Speaker 2: She was the first one to say, no, that's not going to happen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Oh, you don't say that in a world of men, in a book written by boys, do you?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 4: If I move out of the books of the Old Testament into the news, one of the arguments from at least the casual Christian is well, yeah, God was kind of a barbaric nasty, judgmental, temperamental asshole back then. But Jesus is love and light. New Testament.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so horrible Old Testament stuff. Now we have the New Testament.
Speaker 4: Yay, Jesus, How do you address that? How do you Jesus loves everybody, and he honors women in the NT. How do you respond.
Speaker 2: He doesn't even honor women by ancient standards, and ancient centers are not exactly a high bar. But there are pagan and foreign religions that do a better job of treating women than Jesus does.
Speaker 4: Well. I mean, I know he compared the gentile woman to the dog, and I want to say it was Mark or is one of the gospel obviously one of the gospels. But you know he and he treated his own mother pretty poorly, as I remember, didn't Caros.
Speaker 5: Yeah he did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he distired a couple of times. And we've got a section in there that's like a cosmo quiz, and it's called these Jesus a bad boyfriend, And we take all these different questions and answer them based on what it says in the Bible. And I know, I had a couple of Christian friends read the book and they were fine with everything up until then they said, Oh, it's educational and it's funny, it's well written, and it's fun and I like the cartoons and everything got to Jesus and it was like, oh, no, I can't say this, no, no, sorry, I had to stop reading.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's why we want you to give this to your Christian women friends. Buy this book for them, because yeah, everyone is willing to, you know, take a pass on the Old Testament. But as soon as you start pointing out how Jesus is not that great either, boom, that's a whole different.
Speaker 4: I mean Paul Paul's famous approach to women throughout the What thirteen book that he had penned. When he references women, it's usually go home, tell your husband. You don't have the authority to open your mouth in church. I mean, Paul was not a fan of females.
Speaker 2: Knew that's a whole different rabbit hole we could go down. I will say in his defense, the most misogynistic things attributed Paul come from forgers in his name, like Titus first and second Timothy. But he's wildly indifferent to the thought of sleeping with women. And he says, I don't understand why all men can't be like me, perfectly able to withstand the temptation of women, you know, while he's gallivanting with his buddy Barnabas and his boy toy Timothy.
Speaker 4: And yeah, short break, and we will continue this conversation in just a second. Talking here with my very special guest, Dave Fitzgerald and Karis Burgkowski, authors or co authors of the new book Clearly Written by Boys's Guide to the Bible, which is linked in the description box. Both of you took me back in the book. You took me back to my high school days of true love weights and abstinence pledges. And I remember there was one I had a friend and their parents said, if you will abstain from sex until marriage, we have like in escrow. And this sounds made up. It it's true five hundred bucks, which was a lot of money anyway, but it's really a lot of money. Back in nineteen eighty three. We have five hundred dollars that we'll just give you if you promise us and you keep that promise. And I thought that's jacked up, Like that's jacked up, guys, But you get keros old pinball to you purity culture. In the book, tell Me where you go with this?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we talked about the purity balls and the purity the whole purity culture.
Speaker 4: You got to describe a purity ball because there will be a few new listeners who haven't heard us talk about it.
Speaker 3: Where the father and the daughter go to this ball and they're all dressed up like they're going to a wedding practically, and she promises not to have sex and puts already gives her a ring and like gets like he's her boyfriend for till she's old enough to get married, and oh my god, it's really creepy.
Speaker 4: If you want to see examples of this, go to YouTube and type in my name is Seth Andrews, and then a speech called God likes to watch because let's face it, biblical marriage is always a threesome, right, and you and your partner and God is overseeing, so it's always a threesome. But I show examples of fathers who are telling their very young daughters that you will I will be your boyfriend until you get married, and in the purity ceremony, creepy like eleven year old girls in a wedding gown. Sometimes looking up before these big, looming, giant crosses and kneeling down and writing their names on these pledges. And they've got rings with scriptures on them. And it's freaking culty. It's very culty. And in the book, purity culture is rooted in actual verses of scripture. I mean, these fathers and pastors and guardian mothers, whoever can go back chapter and verse right.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, And because David's been working with those kinds of things in all of his other books, Like every thing we say has a Bible verse, like you can look it up in your Bible, Like pretty much everything is backed up, and we give them lots of tools. And then at the end we have a whole section for book clubs, like get your friends together and have a book club, and here's the questions you can ask and things you can look up and yeah.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, one thing I really appreciate is that you really go far beyond the surface again of what this audience is going to know. Whether it's the bitter Water test or slavery or I don't know, the treatment of women by Jesus. These are things that are often well known. You guys go a lot deeper so as you were doing your research, I mean, give me something that surprised you, something that maybe you didn't even know starting the journey. Was there something where you're like, oh, like shit, this is crazy, anything popped to your mind.
Speaker 2: I mean, there were several that like, wow, it's even worse than we thought, especially when you get through the context behind these stories. You Yeah, things get really disturbing really fast. And then there's just things that are happening now, like female circumcision that's just so horrific we can barely even stand to think about it. Well, there were some, there were some surprisingly optimistic things we came across too, And that's that Now, since the pandemic, since this whole the last twenty years or so of Christian evangel evangelism becoming so misogynistic, openly misogynistic, that for the first time in recorded four decades of Christian trend tracking, there are more men in the pews than women women are. They're not protesting, they're not making a fuss. They're just Irish exiting. They're just we're done.
Speaker 4: In Irish exiting.
Speaker 2: They're just gone. And now there groups like the Barnet Group that track they make their living tracking Christian trends. They've never seen anything like it in all the years they've been keeping track.
Speaker 4: I'm sure. I'm sure. I literally see a line in my brain, a line of women walking out of the Southern Baptist Convention that still thinks it's the year eleven. By the way, Yeah, you know, I Caris, you've been watching what's going on with the SBC and all of these, Like I tended to think that even even mainstream Christianity was kind of over it, like we're going to get rid of all this other stuff and we're going to evolve. No, there's a whole section that's going back. They literally want some sort of a gender feudalism, right, yeah, phrase, I.
Speaker 2: Wish we'd put that in a book.
Speaker 4: You're welcome, I'm a giver project.
Speaker 3: They want to take a loans rate to vote, like one vote for household.
Speaker 4: And then we saw it was at a Turning Point USA event where there was a group full of women and they were like saying, I'm good with it. The slaves are celebrating their chains. Karas. So you're a woman, does how does a woman go into the auditorium and say less liberty for me? Yay?
Speaker 5: What do you think is happening there rainwashing?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, literally, we were talking to Brady Goodwin, who is a black ex Christian recording artist now turned atheist. And it's the parallels between the way the Bible treats women and the way the racism and the sexism of the Bible kind of go hand in hand. And like the slave sermons. Jeremiah Kamara, who did that amazing book movie Contradiction and amazing books on slave sermons, they are so indoctrinated to be slaves, and all Christianity is meant to be slave. The very fact that we hold our hands like that the way a slave gets his wristbound.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Dan Barker's pointed that out these are all this is a slave religion, and and it's not black people, it's everybody. Everybody is a slave in this religion. Some have managed to become on top of the slave pile and make lots of money of it and lots of power, but they're all still slaves.
Speaker 4: Kris, would you have an extra thought? I heard you jump in.
Speaker 5: I can't even remember what I was going to say.
Speaker 4: I do the same thing. Well, I noticed, like this proof I've read the book Everybody, but you reference the Civil War era civil rights activist Frederick Douglass, who was an amazing human rights activist in regard to slavery, and Douglas's words really resonates all these many many years later, don't they.
Speaker 2: Basically you said, of all the slave owners, the ones that we most feared were the religious slaveholders, because they were the worst, the most vicious, and they slept easy at night knowing that they were living a righteous life for it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as the Bible tells them, they can beat their slaves and how to beat them and what to do with them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, God wills it has been the biggest freaking cop out in history, has it not. Women can't vote during the suffrage. You know, they're protesting God wills it. The ownership of people LGBT people. You know, it's God's idea, not mine, not my problem. I always think of that Susan B.
Speaker 2: Anthony quote when they're having babies numbersticker. I said it, God believes it. That settles it.
Speaker 4: I think Susan B. Anthony was quoted as saying, I distrust when someone tells me what God wants because it usually coincides with what they want. I totally paraphrase that. Any final thoughts about the book before I let you two beautiful people go, I'll start with you, caris you want to do an elevator picture? Anything I've missed.
Speaker 3: I just think that the book is worth reading just because it's fun to read. It's written in a conversational, fun kind of a way. You learn a lot, but you don't feel like you're in class like you learn it. Some of it will make you laugh, some of it'll make you cry, some it'll make you really really pissed off, because some of our readers have told us that they just had to slam the bookshut and sit there for an hour before they could go on and read some more. So read it because it's going to be an experience to read it, like you'll learn stuff.
Speaker 5: But read it because you're going to enjoy reading it.
Speaker 2: David, I would like to say, speaking as a man, even though I'm half mother on my mom a half woman on my mom's side, this is not a book for women. It's a book for men. It's a book for atheists, it's a book for Christians, it's a book for everybody, because at the end of the day, it points it's it's talking about how the Bible misuses women. But where it miss uses women today, it misses men tomorrow. You're next. As long as you let the Bible do this to women, or to gay people, or to trans people, or to black people, whatever you are, you're also in those crosshairs. No.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's the main thing. There's no such thing as the word of God. And don't let anybody tell you this is God's word.
Speaker 4: Just what that makes me want to buy copies and send one to Joyce Meyer, Paula White, Beth Moore, Victoria Ostein.
Speaker 2: And that's all your Christian women friends, all your Christian men friends.
Speaker 4: I'm sending it to you in love, in the Love of Jesus, In the Love of Jesus.
Speaker 2: Yours in Christ, Seth Andrews.
Speaker 4: Harris Burkowski David Fitzgerald, co authors of the new book Clearly Written by Boys, A Woman's Guide to the Bible, which I will link. You got what paperback, hardcover, kendall audio. You guys do audio on that, you do the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Audio wills come when we can make that happen. Okay, Wow, it's gonna be paperback and audio.
Speaker 3: Paperback and ebook, sorry, book, but audio will come and it's going to be fun too, because we're going to make it more like a radio play with each of these women talking in different voices and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: I love it. I love it like a like an audio stage play. That's going to be fun. Okay, well linked in the description box. Congrats. I know this has been a labor of love a long time coming, and I'm telling everybody it's good and it's a little different than you think it's It goes beyond what an educated person even about the Bible, will expect, and I think it might help you in conversations you have about the Bible's approach to both men and women. Thank you both for talking to me today. Good to see you, Thank.
Speaker 5: You very much.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, Sam, and we'll see it baha, yes see you.
Speaker 4: Bahaka in August, Sarnia, Ontario, Bahcoon dot com. An amazing conference. Thanks again, guys.
Speaker 5: Thank you, thanks all.
Speaker 1: Follow The Thinking Atheist on Facebook and Twitter for a complete archive of podcasts and videos, products like mugs and t shirts featuring the Thinking Atheist logo, links to atheist pages and resources, and details on upcoming free thought events and conventions. Log onto our website, The Thinkingatheist dot com