Speaker 1: Welcome back to part two of our coverage about the murder of David Bacon. Let's dive right back in. It soon became obvious that David had a habit of keeping secrets from Greta because they found a diary in his bedroom which had been written entirely in some sort of secret code. And this is one of those things that sounds fabricated but is actually one hundred percent true, because it was reported on in the newspapers during this time period, and when they asked Gretta about it, she said that she knew this diary existed, but David never allowed her to read it. And apparently she was able to help police decipher some of the coded material inside the diary, and most of it turned out to be harmless. It was like names and phone numbers for a number of their friends and acquaintances, whom Greta already knew about. But there were also some coded portions of the diary where Greta was unable to provide any assistance and were unable to decode it, and the police actually went to the trouble of hiring cipher experts to try to decode certain sections of the diary. It's kind of like the Zodiac letters, Like it seems like a really high profile crime, but they were unsuccessful and there are sections in that diary where they were unable to find out what exactly David was writing. But I kind of wish that this diary was available to the public because I would love to see amateur sluice try to decode it today like they do with the Zodiac letters.
Speaker 2: This is a fascinating element. Like when you first said it, I'm like, oh, is this one of the fabrications that was dropped in at a later date. But to know that he went out of his way to write in a diary and to develop a code so that his wife wouldn't know what he was up to, and it just opens up the door for so many different possible abilities. Was he into, like you'd mentioned, if there was a man and a woman. Was he into being a third with other couples? Was it just meeting up with other men, because I mean, he was married to Greta, so maybe he didn't feel the need to meet up with women, and he had he liked both men and women. I'm not sure. Obviously, only David is the one who's going to know that for sure, and David has passed away, but we can just go based on everything that's been written here. I feel like this has some elements of the staircase with Michael right.
Speaker 1: Well, yes, yeah, that would make sense to me. And it is kind of interesting that he pretty much coded everything in the diary and some of it just turned out to be like regular information, like the contact information for his friends. But maybe he was misdirection where he thought, well, if I code everything, then there's less of a chance that Greta is going to find it to be able to see what kind of contents I have in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're just casting a wide net that way, and you're making it a lot harder for whomever it is to be able to pin point what information is worth trying to decode.
Speaker 1: So another bizarre clue was a key that was found in David's wallet, which did not belong to his home and wound up being matched to a studio apartment that David had rented inside a house in a Laurel Canyon. Yeah, another secret you're throwing your hands up here. And this is another one that's one hundred percent real. It's not fabricated and it was only ten minutes away from David's house, and he had rented it only twelve days before he was murdered. Police found out that the house itself was owned by a retired physician named Charles Hendrix, who interacted with David, who told him that he was renting it for a quote unquote friend. Yeah, Jules is giving that look here, that sounds pretty cryptic. Greta said that she was aware that this apartment existed, as he told her it was for a gardener he was planning to hire to do some work at the house. But Greta still found this a little strange because they had a trailer on their property, which she felt would have been adequate living corridors for a gardener. So she's wondering, why is he renting this fanc apartment located ten miles from her house, And to make things even stranger, when the police searched the apartment, they found a lot of evidence to suggest that a woman had been living there, because they found three empty women's purses, the torn sleeve of a woman's blouse inside a drawer, and several women's cigarette holders. So it did not sound like he was renting it just for a nail gardener.
Speaker 2: Wow, this is like David Bacon's booty bungalow. This is really interesting. So again, he's subverting what our expectations are going to be thus far. Because he's been seen with a man, it's easy to assume that that is what he with regards to a relationship, that he could be pursuing sexual or otherwise. It seems the most logical explanation since he has Greta. But apparently if David isn't going to discriminate here, this sounds like a full on affair. Like if you are going to pay for somebody to live somewhere, and not only do they have just like a toothbrush there, they've got multiple empt he purses. It sounds like somebody's living a whole life there. So that would imply a certain level of closeness, would it not?
Speaker 1: I think so. Yeah. That's why I find it incredible that it was only rented twelve days beforehand, because, as we're going to talk about, there seemed to be a lot of activity going on in that apartment during that twelve day window. But the timing would make sense because Greta is reaching the stage in her pregnancy where she's not in the mood to have sex. So I could see David thinking to himself, I need to get my sexual activity, so I'm going to rent this apartment and then use it for a place to meet up with people secretly in order to have sex.
Speaker 2: And I'm wondering how easy it was to meet women, being that he had just come off doing the Masked Marvel and he'd just been cast in another movie, so it seemed like David was on the up and coming trajectory. So I'm wondering how many women would have been interested in him based on that. And do you have any photos of him? Like if I google him, can I see what he looks like? Or is there not anyhotos of them on the internet? Uh?
Speaker 1: No, you can just type in David Bacon and you'll be able to I think there's only one, but I think you can see it at the Internet movie database. So he looks like, you're just average, like twenty nine year old man from the nineteen forties. He gotta looks like an FBI agent, and the one that they use for him, he won.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent, looks like an FBI agent or some private investigator in a movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I'm guessing that's a photo of his character in The Mass Marvel, because I think he played like a reporter or a private investigator, but not too many like headshots of him trying to look glamorous.
Speaker 2: There's also like another guy named David Bacon who is a photo journalist, and there's a lot of photos of him, So I'm hoping that this is okay. This is an IMDb, so it has to be him and not the photojournalist.
Speaker 1: But that seems to be the only one I've seen of him. It doesn't I guess there are a couple of If you go to Google Images, you can see some screenshots of him from the Mass Marvel where he's dressed in a suit in a fedora and is like posing. Well, they put his credit on screen.
Speaker 2: On a side note, you could have convinced me if you showed me this picture and I'm looking at photos of Kevin Bacon, you could have told me that they were just in relatives and I would have believed you.
Speaker 1: It's true. Yeah, they do seem to have some sort of resemblance, so that's quite amusing. So when they were searching David's apartment, they also found a towel with the name Buckland on it, but it was eventually traced to a guy named Wilfred Buckleyton Junior, who said he had only been there briefly because he had been helping another friend named Harry Frize move into the apartment. For Ze was a music producer from New York who had responded to a rental ad that David had placed in the newspaper, which offered the use of the apartment in exchange for several hours of gardening work per day, and for Ze was able to confirm that the cigarette holders in the apartment belonged to a female friend who had also helped him move in, but he was unable to account for the three empty women's purses and the torn sleeve of the blouse, so we still don't know who that belonged to. And according to for Ze, he only stayed in the apartment days before he was offered a job elsewhere and then decided to move out, and he was cleared as a suspect in David's murder. But considering that he never actually did any gardening work or visited David's house, it makes me wonder if he was in there for four days for entirely different reasons.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I've got a question here. Is there a possibility that this apartment could have been used to run sex workers, which could explain the torn blouse and maybe the multiple persones.
Speaker 1: Possibly, Yeah, because it seems like anyone who frequented this apartment, when they're interviewed, you kind of get the sense that they might be hiding something and not telling the full truth. And pretty much everyone who went into this apartment was cleared as a suspect in David's actual murder. But if they went there for the purposes of hanging out with sex workers or something like that, I can see them not being forthcoming and sharing that information with the police.
Speaker 2: And if that is true, if David was somehow embroiled in that world, that would increase the probability that he would be exposed to somebody who would end up doing him harm.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, And that is kind of my theory that he had someone in that apartment at some point who was responsible for his murder, but that person just did not get interviewed by the police and completely slipped under the radar. And the guy who owned the house, Charles Hendrix, had another interesting story. He claimed that two days before the murder, he showed up there to collect some rent money from David and saw him there with an unidentified man who seemed kind of uncomfortable and left in a hurry. Hendricks was able to confirm that this guy was not Harry Frizze, who had just been interviewed, but they eventually found out that this was a twenty year old man named Glenn Irwin Schaum, who was tracked down when investigators found his phone number in David's belongings. He had actually recently deserted from the Navy and was looking for work, and he claimed that he also answered David's ad that he was looking for a gardener. He claimed that he only visited David's apartment that one time and never actually moved in or took the job, but according to Charles Hendrix, he looked like he was very unhappy that he had come in there and interrupted him and left in a big hurry, so it seemed like he might have been there for other reasons. They were able to clear Shaum as a suspect because he had an alibi placing him with his wife on the day of the murder. But I'm also thinking to myself that he was not lured to that apartment to get a gardening job. He may have been there for other reasons.
Speaker 2: Is gardening or gardener like a euphemism for something?
Speaker 1: Nah? I don't even know what kind of garden they had at David's house, but it seems like he's going to a lot of trouble to find a gardener, but not actually bringing them to see the garden.
Speaker 2: Let me look this up quickly. I just have to see, like, is there is gardening or gardener? Okay? Gardening has recently become a popular euphemism, particularly on TikTok and other social media platforms, but it generally refers to smoking or consuming marijuana rather than a sexual act.
Speaker 1: Well, marijuana would have been a big deal in the forties, so I could see them concealing that for that reason.
Speaker 2: But ladygarden this is separate and sometimes slang term for female genitalia. But this is distinct from the general verb gardening, so I guess it could be seen as some euphemism if you were referring to a lady garden.
Speaker 1: I think that's quite hilarious. Using TikTok euphemism. Back in nineteen forty three, like way ahead of its time.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: But yeah, like I said, Sean had an alibi where his wife vouch from that day. But we've talked about this on past episodes that you sometimes have to be skeptical when someone's spouse is the only one who can provide them with an alibi. And as you recall, David was seen in his car with a man and a woman shortly before he was murdered. So theoretically, if Sean and his wife were in on it and were in the car with him that day, then I could see them providing each other with an alibi in order to clear themselves. So I'd like to be curious of police how thoroughly they vetted Sham's alibi. Were they able to fight other witnesses who could verify his whereabouts or was just his wife?
Speaker 2: But like, what would be the motive? We know that David was found wearing rings and he also had money on him.
Speaker 1: Correct, yes he did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so robbery wasn't the motive. What would the motive have been? Do you think?
Speaker 1: I don't know. Like the way that Cham was acting, it makes me think that he might have been planning sex with David in there and was very thrown about when Charles Hendrix came in there and realized that he had seen them together. So that's why he left in a big hurry. So theoretically, if David and Sean were involved in something, maybe they arranged to meet two days later at another location instead of the apartment, And if they were swingers, maybe his wife wanted to join in. That's when things escalated into murder, and that's why they were seen in the car altogether.
Speaker 2: And I suppose to there is a scenario where a couple decides to be swingers, and perhaps let's just put up a hypothetical where David is in an intimate embrace with the wife and the husband has thought that he would be okay with this, but in seeing it, he becomes enraged and he stabs David. So I think there's a possibility when you become embroiled in these types of relationships that some especially if with people that you don't know very well. But something like this could happen. I mean, if he was discharged and what did you say from the Navy, Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: He was actually wanted for desertion, and he actually got in legal trouble when he was interviewed by police because the Navy still wanted him on this charge. So I think he served some time in the brig.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I think there's a possibility that if you've served, that you might be carrying some type of weapon on you, especially if you're a deserter and you're worried about being pulled back in and put up in front of a jury and held responsible for what you've done. So I don't know, there's so many possibilities open here, and this case just keeps getting weirder and weirder.
Speaker 1: It is like, even though we have these mysterious guys in David's apartment who had been cleared to suspects, I still think it's possible that he was murdered by someone completely different who may have been at the apartment at one point but we just don't know it and has managed to slip under the radar. And again, even weirder, they actually found something unpleasant in David's pass, which even Greta did not know about. But it turned out that in September of nineteen thirty nine, well David was still living in Los Angeles, he was arrested for and I'm using the actual quote from the newspaper articles quote contributing to the delinquency of a fifteen year old newsboy. The story goes that this newsboy had visited David's home to collect some money for newspapers. When David answered the door wearing nothing but a pajama top. He invited the newsboy inside and soon made an inappropriate sexual advance towards him, and the boy left before things actually crossed the line into sexual assault. But the newsboy did go to the police and David did get into some legal trouble. According to everyone who knew him, he did seem very regretful for his actions, and he wound up getting a suspended sentence on the condition that he leave the state of California for three years, and he did just that. He went to New York for a couple of years, and then returned to Los Angeles in nineteen forty two, which is where he met Greta and then kind of restarted his acting career. So I don't know if that says anything bad about David. This is the only black mark on his record that we know about, and did seem remorseful, So I don't know if this was just a one time only thing where he did something inappropriate, but the fact that he made a move on a fifteen year old newsboy is very uncomfortable and shows that he was capable of having dark secrets.
Speaker 2: It's absolutely disgusting. It feels like a scene straight out of To Catch a Predator where you have this fifteen year old come to the door and I'm sorry it was David not wearing any underwear.
Speaker 1: They just say he was wearing nothing but a pajama top, which I guess is an implication maybe that he had no underwear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm hoping that it covered his naughty bits because if that child, I don't think that this fifteen year old child would have gone in if he was completely exposed. But either way, to make sexual advances on a fifteen year old newsboy, there's absolutely no words. And I don't like to ever shame a victim of murder, but I think it is important that we point out that this is absolutely egregious and of course he's going to be remorseful about it. Anytime somebody gets caught, they're going to be remorseful. And you wonder, was this just a one time thing, and they're truly remorseful or are they just remorseful for what they did because of the implications that has on their character.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, we don't have any other documented cases of David doing anything like that, but that's only what we know about. Like could he have done it with other young men who didn't go to the police and no one ever found out about it. But when you see that, and then you hear about him luring young men to his apartment for the promise of a job of a gardener, then you begin to think that this could have played a role in his murder. So things got even weirder because another man named Charles Wild came forward and confessed to David's murder, but he turned out to be nothing more than an attention seeker and he was ruled out as a suspect. And yet another man named Blakelee Patterson came forward in contacted the Los Angeles Examiner newspaper to say that David was his friend and that he had received a threatening extortion letter from him demanding money prior to his death. This made the papers, it made them think that the case was about to be solved, but once Patterson was questioned by police, his story completely fell apart, and it turned out that he had never even met David in his life. And what was crazy is that Patterson said, well, I'm an inspiring actor, and I thought that if I shared this crazy story and got my pitcher in the paper, this might help jump start my acting careers. So I'm just going to confess that I'm involved in a murder and hope that causes me to make it as an actor. So he was charged with preparing false evidence, served ten days in jail, and wound up being excommunicated from the state of California and forced to return to his hometown in Minnesota.
Speaker 2: I didn't know you could be excommunicated from a state, so I just learned something new. But that all checks out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's kind of like with the David where it's kind of I think it is an option where they will give you a lighter sense if you promise to leave the state for the next few years, and that's exactly what David did after the incident with the newsboy, though he eventually did return, so the case pretty much disappeared from the spotlight, and Greta Keller eventually returned to Europe to resume her career before she died in nineteen seventy seven at the age of seventy four. And like I said, this case wasn't particularly well known. But when I started writing for lispers dot com and was looking for unsolved mysteries involving entertainers, that's when I decided to include it in my article. And unfortunately I included some of the details which later turned out to be false. So some of the stuff I'm about to share with you the sole source for it is a writer named Darwin Porter, and like I said, he is known for writing biographies about celebrity and famous figures, but he doesn't publish them until long after they're dead, so there's no one around to refute his allegations. And he has made a lot of wild claims that either are based on nothing more than secondhand, uncorroborated information, or it's possible he just flat out made it up. And one of his most controversial books was a biography about James Dean in which he alleged that he was Marlon Brando's sex slave and that the two of them had some sort of secret gay affair. And of course he did not publish this book until they were both dead and everyone associated with Brando and James Dean were dead, so some people have taken this as fact, but most scholars will say there is no evidence of this whatsoever, and Darwin Porter is just making this up to sell books.
Speaker 2: Clearly it works because I remember reading that somewhere and being like, oh, that's really not what I was expecting, but okay, and I sort of took it as fact as much as you can take something as fact that goes so far back and there's nothing to really corroborated. But it shows that he's somehow seeped into like pop culture literature and stuff, because that would have been somewhere that I would have consumed it, like on some website.
Speaker 1: Yes, and I was researching this before this episode, and it's on one of those fact checking websites, and they say, no, there is no evidence that James Dean and Marlon Branda were lovers and had this S and M relationship. This is all likely a fabrication from Darwin Porter, but that's pretty much his m. He likes to say that you remember that big Hollywood star from the cast, they were secretly gay and having affairs with these other big Hollywood star But I'm pretty sure most of it is bunk. So what's hilarious is that if you visit Darwin Porter's Wikipedia page, sometimes they will have sections which talk about his credibility issues and his false claims. But if you go to it now, that section is miraculously vanished. It seems to keep coming back and disappearing. And Darwin Porter is still alive at the age of eighty eight, and I think he spends a lot of time trying to do edits to his own Wikipedia page and getting rid of all the people who are saying use a complete fraud.
Speaker 2: That sounds like a full time job. And I think sometimes people don't even really realize that anyone can go in and edit Wikipedia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I have a feeling he also does a lot of edits on David Bacon's Wikipedia page, because if you go there, a lot of the stuff I'm about to share with you is still listed and cited as being completely true. But the only source is a book that Darwin Porter wrote. The big revelation here is that David was having a secret affair with none other than Howard Hughes, the very famous aviator who was also involved in films he like produced quite a bit of movies in his lifetime. And have you seen the movie The Aviator where Leonardo DiCaprio played Howard Hughes, directed by Martin Scorsese.
Speaker 2: Yes, that was an excellent movie, it was.
Speaker 1: Yes, And you might remember a section in that movie where they talk about how he once produced a controversial western called The Outlaw, which starred a very busty actress named Jane Russell, and it was a subject of a lot of content because she showed too much cleavage. And there's an hilarious scene in there where he's in front of the censorship board and they were saying, well, your movie is showing too much of this woman's memories. It has a excessive amount of memories. It probably sets a record for the most usage of the word memories in a scene. And he's giving a demonstration, say, actually, she doesn't show any more cleavage than other actresses in these famous films. So it was completed in nineteen forty one, but it did not actually get a release until nineteen forty three because of all the controversy about her bus sides.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, that is so funny. I do remember the controversy over that movie. In the scene in the Aviator, but I don't remember memories being used over and over and over again.
Speaker 1: But that is quite hilarious, yes, and so that ties into this story because I think it was like two thousand and five, Darwin Porter published a biography titled Howard Hughes Hell's Angel, and he says that he was friends with Greta Caller and that shortly before Greta's death, she told Darwin all this juicy details about David Bacon having a secret relationship with Howard Hughes, which he decided to publish in this book. But conveniently, Greta has been dead for decades, Howard Hughes has been dead for decades. David has obviously been dead since nineteen forty three, so there's no one around to refute any of these claims. But he claimed that Howard was the one who discovered David and jump started his acting career in Hollywood, and that he was originally planning to cast him in the lead role as Billy the Kid in The Outlaw, but for whatever reason, it fell through and someone else got the role. But if you do research, you will find out there are numerous holes in this story because I just said that after David was arrested for his inappropriate conduct with a newsboy in nineteen thirty nine, he was forced to leave the state of California and he did not return until nineteen forty two. But the production of The Outlaw started in nineteen forty when David was living in New York. So how could Howard Hughes have discovered him and cast him in the role. And if you go to David Bacon's Wikipedia page, it even says that Howard discovered him in nineteen forty two, But you just do a bit of researching find out actually the movie was already filmed in nineteen forty one and then got released in nineteen forty three, So how did he discover David and cast him in this role when the production was already done. So this is yet another case of Darwin Porter just putting all these false claims in his book and hoping that no one fact checks them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the math ain't mathin and Darwin Porter seems to be very creative, but obviously it seems to be a pattern where like you said, he's choosing people that are deceased and everybody connected who could either corroborate or refute is also deceased, and so it makes it incredibly difficult to fact check his work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the problem here. And I kind of wish I'd known this before I wrote that list first article, because I included the detail about David of possibly being involved with Howard Hughes. Because Darwin's story is that before Greta died, she said that her husband hadriden right a tell all memoir about Howard Hughes and was going to expose or affair. So Granta believe that Howard Hughes had David killed and was responsible for the murder. But you do any research and you'll find out there's no evidence that they even met or knew each other, let alone had this secret affair. And none of the police reports or the newspaper articles mentioned anything about this tal aal mamoir about Hughes.
Speaker 2: And I'm sorry, Like, if Howard Hughes was going to have somebody killed, this man is a billionaire. Do you think that he would hire somebody to stab David or do you think that it would be somebody who would use a gun and they would make sure that he was dead. David wasn't dead, he was driving around with a stab wound. This doesn't sound like a hit man to me. This sounds like an impulsive act.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I always thought, that this is not someone with skilled and murder because they obviously stabbed David and probably left the scene without checking that he was dead, which I'm sure a contract killer would not do. They would be a lot more careful than that. And even though Howard Hughes was romantically involved with a lot of famous actresses in Hollywood during that time period, I know that he was involved with Catherine Hepburn and Ava Gardner, but there is no evidence whatsoever that he was bisexual and ever involved in any secret affairs with other men. But what's crazy is that the Howard Hughes biography port decides to throw in details about the murder itself which are completely false and have been accepted as fact. And I remember when I first learned about this, one of the details that intrigued me was that they said that they found a camera in David's car, and when they developed the film, they found one photograph of David's smiling while he was lying nude on a beach, which led to speculation that the photograph was taken by his killer shortly before he was murdered. But guess what, when I read that La Daily Mirror website, I found out they checked all the police reports, they checked all the newspaper articles. There is no mention about this camera or this mysterious photograph, and the sole source is Darwin Porter.
Speaker 2: Well, Darwin Porter knows how to make it a lot more intriguing and add a lot more layers to a story. It's just too bad that none of them could be corroborated and are likely not true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because that was I think one of the reasons that people voted for this for My Trail Went Cold first anniversary show, because they read those details and said, ooh, this is a really juicy and interesting case with these weird details. And then you find out, like you said, a lot of them aren't true and another inaccurate detail is like he also writes that David was carrying one hundred and fifty dollars in his wallet when he was killed. When you read all the news articles they say it was only thirteen dollars, Because one hundred and fifty dollars in nineteen forty three money twenty eight hundred dollars to day, so it just seems like he's exaggerating details that have no relevance whatsoever to make the story more exciting. And he also said that before Greta died, she's had the photograph of David while he was naked, as well as his bloodstained wallet, and decided to turn it over to Darwin when she died, and he said that I still have these items in my possession to this day. And it's like, okay, if you have the photograph, then put it on the internet and show it to people. But no, this is just complete bunk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like you can lie, and you can lie, and you can lie, but when you say that you've got evidence and it comes time where it's like, okay, but this is true, you should be able to put that out there, and especially if you're saying that you have it, you should be able to produce it, right, Like I don't know what the Latin word for evidence is, like habeas corpus would be bringing the body, but like, bring us the evidence, Starwin. There's really no reason not to, especially when you're promising that you have it. Why even go to your way to say that or to add that detail when you know that you can't produce it exactly.
Speaker 1: And that's what we were talking about. So many crazy details in this case already, and I had to confirm, Yes, this sounds weird, like the coded diary and whatnot, but it's one hundred percent true. So this case is already interesting enough without you having to make up all this extra stuff. And sadly, the biography also made a lot of uncorre oberated claims about Greta herself, claiming that she was also bisexual and was having affairs with some other famous Hollywood actresses like Marlene Dietrich, which I'm pretty sure is one hundred percent untrue. And the implication he wrote was that David and Greta were hitched together in a lavender marriage, which did happen in Hollywood during that time period. A bunch of big stars like Rock Hudson married women because the studio executives did not want them to come out that they were interested in other men because that would destroy their career. But David was still a relatively unknown actor. He wasn't a big star, and like we talked about, he really wanted to have sex with Greta. He had gotten her pregnant. So I do think that even though there is a lot of evidence that he was bisexual and interested in other men, I think he did genuinely love Greta and have an interest in women, and that they were just not getting married for show because they were trying to save their careers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's something that exists in the gray area. It's very easy to be like black and white, like either one hundred percent Greta and that's it, or he was gay and living a secret life and not interested in her and it was a lavender marriage. I think it exists in the gray and it's somewhere in between, and that he liked men, but he also liked women, and he loved Greta, but he also loved having trysts with other men. I think that in trying to explain it, it's very easy to put a label on it, like a lavender marriage, because, like you said, it was something that was I don't even I don't know if we want to call it typical, but it was pretty common back then because your currency as a movie star would be being appealing to women. The thought process back then was that a gay man wouldn't have had the same appeal to women that a straight man does. So it's a very toxic thought process and very i'm sure deleterious to the mental health of many of the actors and executives in Hollywood at the time, but that was the reality that they were dealing with. If we look back, it's still something that I think a lot of actors probably struggle with because we have a lot of actors who are out, but I've heard different actors speak about getting cast in those lead character roles and how their sexual orientation has affected that. So it's not something that's without its challenges even today, and we're a lot more progressive in the way that we.
Speaker 1: Think, oh yeah, definitely, Like we have a lot more actors now who are out and openly say that they're gay, and they still get frequent work. But I'm sure there's still a lot of them who feel that this is going to destroy my brand. No one will be able to take me seriously if I play a straight role. So even if they do have a secret interest in men, they decide to keep it from the public. And of course this would have been a lot more prominent during the nineteen forties, and especially for someone like David, who hadn't even really started his career, like he'd only done a few B movies and was hoping that he could become a star someday, but he was not yet at that level. So I think when you see the fact that he was renting out this secret apartment, I think he was thinking to himself, I want to satisfy my interest in men, but I don't want anyone to find out about it, because if anyone does, it's going to kill my career and my life as an actor is over. So I can definitely understand why he was doing stuff like writing coded diaries and living this secret double life, but unfortunately it seems like it led to him being killed. So yeah, one thing I am safe saying is that Howard Hughes did not kill him. I think we can now rule him out as a suspect. I'm not sure about any of the other men like Harry Frizzy or Schaum who visited his apartment. I think he may have lured them there, maybe propositioned them. I'm not entirely sure if they had sex, but I do think that he met up with someone on the day that he was killed. And I'm still on the fence about whether he was killed by a man or possibly a man or a woman. I guess it depends on how much stock you put into the eyewitness sighting of the man and the woman in the car with him. But it seems obvious that he met up with someone, and I don't think this was a premeditated I think it was a crime of passion and that at one point David turned his back and this person just got so angry that they decided to stab him. But they did not wait to make sure he was dead, and David did live long enough in order to drive away to try to seek help before he crashed his car.
Speaker 2: So my question is how well stocked was the kitchen, Like was this knife something that somebody was carrying on their person or could it have been a weapon of opportunity taken from the kitchen in the apartment.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, they never checked that. That's a good question because I'd be curious to know if David took it with him or something like that, or maybe it was kept in the apartment. I don't know if they really looked at that, but I know they described it as a stiletto, and I know that that's often described as like a murder weapon a lot of the time, that assassin's carry or something like that. Spot of course, because they never recovered the murder weapon itself, there are not one hundred percent certain. So yeah, that's what I think did happen here, And I think this is a very intriguing case that has pretty much been lost to history, and unfortunately because of Darwin Porter's book. I guess the good side is that it did return it to the spotlight for the first time in several decades. But unfortunately a lot of this stuff about like Howard Hughes and the naked the naked photograph of David are still being circulated around the Internet to this day. If you go to David Bacon's Wikipedia page, they'll still share the detail about the photograph and the Howard Hughes stuff, and so it's very difficult to separate fiction from reality. But I would be curious to know if they still have the blonde hair from the sweat or as evidence, because they could do DNA testing and even if it obviously the killer is probably long dead, if they could like match it up to someone, it may shed some light on who is responsible for this murder.
Speaker 2: I would love to see that hair bey DNA tested, like was it a male hair, was it a woman's hair, was it a mouns And was it even connected to David's murder. I think there's a possibility that it could be completely unconnected, especially if we see a pattern of David having these potential extramarital either trysts or affairs. You're right, though, with the inclusion of all of these weird details, it's unnecessary. I feel like there's enough juicy details with this story, with this random apartment, with these empty purses. We've got that coded diary, that sweater, like, we don't need to throw in that there was naked photo of David on this undeveloped camera film and that he was on the beach nude and maybe it was taken by his killer. Even if the camera was found and there was a photo, it's just like the sweater. Unless there's a date published on that and you know that it's the day that David died, Even if it is the same day, you still can't prove that the person that took that is necessarily the killer. It's so hard to know. Even if he was at the beach, we know that he had sanded his shorts, but that doesn't mean that he didn't just pull on a pair of shorts in order to make it look like he'd gone swimming. When he comes back and gret a season, he can be like, look I was at the beach, Look what I'm wearing. So there's just so many bizarre details. But I really wish that we could crack the code on that diary and we could know all of the entries that he made, because there's so much mystery associated with David. I'm with this case in general, this weird apartment. I just want to know everything.
Speaker 1: It's true. I kind of wish that that diary, if they still have it in evidence, that they could just release it to the public and let some amateur sluice to code it, because I know that's how one of the zodiac letters was cracked, because some random professor and his wife were reading it in the newspaper and figure it out. And of course it's been over eighty years. It's not like you're going to jeopardize an active investigation because obviously the killer is probably never going to be arrested and prosecuted. But just for curiosity's sake, I love to release it, just to try to figure out what he was writing in there and maybe shed some light on why he was killed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like when you get this far along, it's around like eighty years ago, right, So it's a long time ago. There's likely barely anybody who was attached to this case who's still alive. So are you going to be kicking a hornet's nest by allowing amateur sleuths to have a crack at that journal? I don't think so. I really think, like, what do you have to lose? Citizens Louths love to decode something, and I bet even now you could probably put it into some program in AI and it could pretty easily be decoded. I can't imagine that it's this amazing code that is so difficult to break that like code breakers can't break it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. So I would like to see, even if this case has never conclusively saw, maybe someone come up with a theory that shed some light on what happened before we close it off. I just wanted to confirm that this story I shared earlier about him being friends with Henry Fonda and Jimmy Stewart, that's once again the sole source is Darwin Reporter's biography and Howard Hughes, and it's another case of him making up these salacious details for no reason whatsoever, even though, like the whole thing with Fonda and Stewart has nothing to do but the actual crime himself. And he also makes up another story that David was nearly expelled from Harvard because of a scandal where he and his roommate were quote unquote and this is the actual language he used auditioning some of the best bodies on the football team. What yeah, that's what he said as well. Just that's the kind of salacious writing that Porter does. It's just ridiculous. But once again, that story is probably not true.
Speaker 2: But I think, like Darwin Porter borrowed from things like The National Inquirer, the more sordid details that you can have and the bigger the celebrity names that you can have attached to a story, the more you're going to sell. And I guarantee you that to add Jimmy Stewart and Henry Fonda to the list, and then later to add Howard Hughes as a potential murder suspect, which seems like absolutely bs. But when you add these names, the interest deepens, and so people are going to be like, oh, like, let me read more. I want to know more. And when there was no way to fact check Darwin Porter at the time, he could easily skate by not getting sued and not having as many questions asked of him. Now it's so easy to research it, and it's so easy to go and like disprove it. And you said that whole article was written basically fact checking Darwin Porter's work and showing like egregious errors and fla full on fabrications. Let's just call it like it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I think that has complicated the case. But unlike our last series about Gene Spangler, where there was really credible allegations against Kirk Douglas, none of the celebrities we talked about today, I'm pretty sure we're involved in the crime or did anything wrong. But yes, since we've done Geen Spangler and David Bacon, it just shows that Hollywood in the nineteen forties was a really weird place and that there's some compelling unsolved mysteries and we'll probably never find out the truth about what happened, but I sure would like to know what eventually led to David Bacon's death. So any further thought on the murder of David Bacon.
Speaker 2: My heart just really goes out to Greta because I can't imagine what she had to experience. It would be hard enough living in the country that you weren't born in. You're forging this whole new life. You meet a man, you fall in love, you get married, maybe it's not perfect what relationship is. And you're pregnant with a child, which is you're going to be your first child at around the age of forty. That's not going to be necessarily an easy pregnancy. It is for some women, but I think for most women it can have its challenges. And then to find out that you've lost your partner, that he's been murdered, and then you have complications with your pregnancy and your baby is still born. My heart broke for her in that moment when Robin said that, it literally felt like I've been punched in the gut. There's nothing worse than losing the two people that the one person you haven't met yet but you know you're going to love more than anybody else in the whole entire world, and then to lose your partner it's the grief must have been a title wave for Greta. So I'm glad that she lived her last years with a partner, and I hope that that partner brought her all of the happiness that she deserved.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Greta is definitely the most sympathetic person in this story. And obviously, even though David didn't deserve to be murdered, he definitely had some problematic things about his own life, like the incident with the newsboy. But Greta didn't do anything wrong, and she had to go through this tragedy losing both her husband and her unborn child, and then the fact that someone is saying, years after she's dead, that she had affairs with other actresses and gave like this conspiracy theory about how her husband was murdered by Howard Hughes, which is completely untrue. I don't think she even knew Darwin porter let alone shared all these secrets with them, So it's kind of sad that they're kind of slandering her name posthumously. But yeah, this is a very intriguing case and I definitely feel a lot of sympathy with her, and maybe one day we can finally get the answers. So that about brings an end to our series about the murder of David Bacon. Thank you so much for your continued support, and we'll be back next week with a series about another cold case, Robin.
Speaker 2: Do you want to tell us a little bit about the Trail Went Cold? Patreon?
Speaker 1: Yes, The Trail Cold Patreon has been around for three years now, and we offer these standard bonus features like early ad free episodes, and I also send out stickers and sign thank you cards to anyone who signs up with us on Patreon. If you join our five dollars tier tier two, we also offer monthly bonus episodes in which I talk about cases which are not featured on the Trail Went Cold's original feed, so they're exclusive to Patreon, and if you join our highest tier tier three, the ten dollars tier. One of the features we offer is a audio commentary track over classic episodes of Unsaved Mysteries, where you can download an audio file and then boot up the original Unsolved Mysteries episode on Amazon Prime or YouTube and play it with my audio commentary playing in the background, where I just provide trivia and factoids about the cases featured in this episode, and incidentally, the very first episode that I did a commentary track over was the episode featuring this case. So if you want to download a commentary track in which I make more smart ass remarks about jewel Kaylor, then be sure to join Tier three.
Speaker 3: So I want to let you know a little bit about the jeweles and Nashty patreons. So there's early ad free episodes of The Path Went Chili. We've got our Pathwent Chili mini's, which are always over an hour, so they're not very mini, but they're just too short to turn into a series, and we're really enjoying doing those. So we hope you'll check out those patreons.
Speaker 2: We'll link them in the show notes.
Speaker 1: So I want to thank you all for listening, and any chance you have to share us on social media with a friend or to rate and review is greatly appreciate it. You can email us at The Pathwentchili at gmail dot com. You can reach us on Twitter at the Pathwin. So until next time, be sure to bundle up because cold trails and chili pass Call for warm clothing.
Speaker 2: Music by Paul Rich from the podcast Cold Callers Comedy