Speaker 1: And I made my decision at the base of the Tarquin Rock, which is where they used to throw the criminals off. You'd get convicted of a crime and they drag you to the rock and throw you off. And if you look in the guidebook, it says that it is not wheelchair accessible, which isn't surprising and all. The guidebook also said good for kids.
Speaker 2: Ask not what your country can do for you, Ask what you can do for your country.
Speaker 3: Mister Gorbachev, tear down this wall.
Speaker 1: It's the Ricassee podcast with Charnols, C W. Cook, and Stephen Hayward. I'm James Lilys today with doctor ray onn Slam about the events in New York plus Iraq plus supreme courts. More than enough for a podcast.
Speaker 3: So thanks to this decision, we can now properly file to proceed with these numerous policies and those that have been wrongly enjoined on a nationwide basis, including birthright citizenship, ending sanctuary city fund, suspending refugee resettlement, freezing unnecessary funding, shopping federal taxpayers from paying for trans gender search.
Speaker 1: Welcome Everyone is the Ricochet Podcast number seven hundred and forty seven.
Speaker 4: Buckle up as.
Speaker 1: They like to say on the Internet when they're about to tell you something. We've got some interesting things to talk about. I'm James Lalyx in Minneapolis, where it's very cloudy, very cool, but the Karellion atop the City Hall tower was playing Blue Skies, which was just a nice way to end the week. Steven Hayward I assumes in sunny California, Charles C. W. Cook is in some drenched and probably human beyond human belief Florida. Gentlemen, we span the nation. How are you today and what's in your mind?
Speaker 5: Well, I think both for Charles and I, it's a banner day at the Supreme Court.
Speaker 4: That's the end of the term.
Speaker 5: All the lingering decisions we've been waiting for were released here this morning Friday. And Charles, I think you've actually read them because you had a three hour head start on me. But it sounds like it's a clean sweep for our side, and so I'll toss over to you and you pick out what you think is most notable.
Speaker 6: Well, it wasn't quite a clean sweep. There was a case Consumers Research which was about the non delegation doctrine and Neil Gorsuch was so upset by the majority opinion and it joined in his upset by Alita and Thomas, and he wrote a thirty five page which I would recommend reading. I was disappointed by that. I can't say I was surprised by that, Steve, because the Court has not been good on non delegation questions since about nineteen thirty five, so we've got ninety years of precedent here. And then there was a case about the structure of an agency that has to do with Obamacare and was very, very complicated, and I instinctively sided again with Gorst, Chelita, and Thomas.
Speaker 4: But on the big cases that everyone.
Speaker 6: Normal was paying attention to, it was a clean sweep for the original and originalist adjacent sidon. The biggest case of the day, perhaps of the year, was one that started off as a challenge to President Trump's executive order on birthright citizenship, but somehow along the way became not a case about that or the merits of that question, but about nationwide injunctions. And six to three the Court decided that with a couple of caveats and with a standard that will need to be applied to be understood, properly. Nationwide injunctions in the way that they have been used for the last twenty or so years are gone.
Speaker 1: John pod Horiz said that bunkerbusters were used twice this week, once in Iran and once in Emmy COMI parent Responding to Justice Jackson, I don't know if you've seen that. There is some delicious language in this. Before Charles goes on to tell us why this is a great thing, she said, we will not dwell on Justice Jackson's argument, which is at odds with more than two centuries worth of president not to mention the Constitution itself, we only observe this. Justice Jackson decries an imperial executive while embracing an imperial judiciary. I mean meow boll of friskies for the lady, that is anyway. So Charles tell us more about the We all hate the national injunctions because they seem like a drastic overreach of the Court's authority that anyone could just step in and say, Nope, executive can't do that. That's the end of it. I'm here in Hawaii. I say what it's going to be in the law of the land. You said that there were some things yet to be ironed out. Might those things mean that the injunctions still continue to be a thorn in the side and the paw.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm sometimes squishy if I have national injunctions. We've talked about this before. I don't if you were on that episode. But I am persuaded by the majority opinion. The only question the Court was authorized to look at is whether or not they're constitutionally permissible and how they interact with statute, and I think the majority got it right. There are points elsewhere in the opinion, James, in which Amy Coney Barrett is equally disparaging toward Jackson. She describes her at one point as having offered a startling argument that is completely unmored from the Constitution or American history. It is a taught force. So I think the Court did get this right. And as this goes, that's the only thing that matters, because the Court is the court and not a dictator. So there are a couple of caveats here. And I'm not a lawyer, so I'm understanding its as best I can, having read it through once. First off, anything that has to do with the Administrative Procedure Act is exempt because Congress included an exemption when it passed the law, so if there is litigation over APA claims, there can be a nationwide injunction. Second, there is I think called Rule twenty three that I don't perfectly understand, but Rule twenty three litigation could still yield a national injunction. Apparently it's quite hard to satisfy the provisions of Rule twenty three. But Justice Alito is worried that what will happen now is lower courts will just say, oh, it's a Rule twenty three issue and start doing the same thing that they've been doing all along. And of course this is obvious, but it needed to be said. The third exception is the Supreme Court itself, which is allowed to impose national injunctions because that's what it's there for. Here is my take on it, before I shut up. I think this was the right decision legally. I think it is also the product of congressional abdication. Congress is allowed to set a whole bunch of rules around this that it hasn't, so the Court was only asked to do this because Congress hasn't laid out in what circumstances national injunctions are permissible. It should now do that. I worry a little bit though, that unless Congress starts taking back some power from the president, that this is going to empower the executive branch even more than it has been empowered. Not criticism of the Court. Again, Jackson's obsessed with She shouldn't be. It's not her job to worry about that. But as a citizen, I want Congress now to say, all right, here are the things the president can and can't do. Because although Kavanar is clear at one point to say that the court should take emergency applications, you are in effect going to be left after this with a situation in which it will take a lot longer to litigate pretty important questions. And if you look at something like, for example, Joe Biden's obviously disastrously deliberately unconstitutional student loan order, by the time that that had been decided by the Supreme Court, he could have spent two or three hundred billion dollars.
Speaker 4: So unless this.
Speaker 6: Is accompanied by the Supreme Court's willingness to take cases quickly and Congress taking back its power from the executive I do worry that not just under Trump, but under the next Democratic president. Let's say president AOC, you could see some really disastrous consequences, but that's a Congress problem, not a Supreme Court problem.
Speaker 1: That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. A AOC will be the vice president to Gavin Newsom. I just wanted to correct that, Steven, you're taking well.
Speaker 5: I think I agree with Charles. I think the rule twenty three business connects to the whole class action. That's right, that's right classification. So yeah, I think you're right that judges will be quicker to try and quant class action status.
Speaker 4: I do think that.
Speaker 5: I mean I should need to go back and look at the numbers here, but I actually think the Supreme Court moved with great speed, greater than maybe they ever have, which is why i'd have to go back and look in history. But do you think of the cases that were taken up and decided in the last well, just take this one. You know it was about executive order Trump issued his first day in office back in January, so barely six months ago, and the Supreme Court scheduled an oral argument late. It was heard in what a month ago, six or eight weeks ago, and we have the decision today. And I think that was the Chief Justice or a majority of the Court anyway, saying we can't let this linger into the next term because it's just creating too much uncertainty. So they moved with really quite astonishing speed for the Supreme Court. You're not allowing it to filter through the DC Circuit or the other circuit courts of appeal, which would resulted in circuit splits and no decision at all. There was the you know, the executive immunity case, wasn't I think that was this term, wasn't it?
Speaker 4: Anyway?
Speaker 5: I think the Court is now stepping up to try and fill the gap for some of the lassitude of Congress that you rightly point out, Charles. And so right now you have Congress as a spectator to the judiciary and executive trying to work out a new equilibrium here on these things.
Speaker 6: And it's probably very encouraging that that note in the decision was written by Kavanaugh, who is now the immediate in justice on the Court, rather than by Conress Thomas, because it did no perhaps of willingness to step in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so where do we go from here?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 4: I mean, I love Charles's argument.
Speaker 1: That this actually no sort of deprives us of a tool that you can use to get these things in the Supreme Court faster. Should we just develop like Disney has a fast pass lane for certain cases.
Speaker 5: Well, they have been doing the shadow docket business they called for a while now, where they do take cases and dispose of them quickly without necessarily a full oral argument, briefing and so forth. I think now in this particular case, once again, the executive order was about the birthright citizenship controversy, and they sidestep that. As we expected that, that was pretty clear that they weren't going to take up a substance of that. But now we'll have to. And so that case will be probably coming up next year and so a year from now, and there they can't I think repair to process and history. Well, I shouldn't have said that it won't be a process argument or a jurisdiction argument. They're going to have to rule on the substance of the teeth Amendment and that's going to be a big fight.
Speaker 6: I think, James. One thing that is always important with court decisions to stress is that the Court is not expected to or allowed to come up with an answer that makes everything perfect. And you say, where are we Now, there are some downsides to this, even though I think it's the right decision. For example, it is offensive to our constitutional order to have circuit splits on matters that are really crucial. I mean, for example, let's suppose that your president, Gavin Newsom says that he intends to start confiscating firearms, and let's suppose that the Fifth Circuit says that's illegal under the Second Amendment, and there's no staturgy justification, but the Second Circuit says it's fine. What you have then is a situation in which it is o k for the federal government to confiscate firearms in New York but not in Texas, which, by the way, would be the sensible way of doing it, given out heavily armed everyone is in either place. Now, that is a problem, right, And if you take the country's history just after the Civil War as perhaps a more realistic example, it would be a problem if it were fine to discriminate racially in some parts of the country and not in others. But that is it seems to be the way that the system works until the circuit splits are resolved. But we aren't always going to like it. And I think what I just find so annoying about some of the responses to this that I've seen and about Jackson's descent is she seems to think, and those who have criticized his decisions seem to think that if there is any potential downside to any decision that is faithful to the law, it's the job of the Supreme Court to step in and prevent that.
Speaker 4: But it's not.
Speaker 6: We're going to have times in our life as American citizens where things are bad. So you know, one of the things that it leaves us with should be the expectation that we elect people who aren't bloody awful.
Speaker 1: Exactly, And there we are a a new slogan for the conservative side. Sometimes things are going to be bad. I mean, it actually is the truth of the matter. And one of the ways you make them better is to get together with friends. And we'd like to remind you as always that Ricochet has meetups where people get together in person. And if you're thinking, you know, I just want to sit around other people and I don't want to do that and talk politics, you'd be surprised. How little will we talk about politics? Actually, it's everything under the sun. Because you meet people like minded you find you have similar interest hobbies and passions. It's a great fun. Last one I had was in New York. I got COVID. It was worth it. Matt Bauzer is holding the annual German Fest meetup that's July twenty fifth, twenty seventh in Milwaukee. And our old friend Randyandy Wandy Wivova, Sandy Rivo, Randy you know you love. He's assembling a group to meet in Detroit and that will be interesting seeing the revived state and status of some of the most beautiful skyscrapers in America. So go to ricochet dot com, check the member meet up panel, and if you're in the neighborhood, you know, show up or start your own and just see how Ricochet people come to you. We're like that. One of the things we're also like is that, you know, we want a little solace at the end of the day. Right, y'all got your checklists between the hours of nine to five, you got these things to do, this thing, that thing. Getting through that checklist can be hard every day and boarding and wrote butt but cozy Earth. They want you to have the time to prioritize you outside of those work hours. And you're five to nine show, we say Cozy Earth. Lets your thoughts turn.
Speaker 4: To luxurious softness.
Speaker 1: Now life gets pactic and finding comfort and calm.
Speaker 4: It's essential.
Speaker 1: We need time for relaxation, for recharging and soaking in this of peace. With Cozy Earth, you can create a space that feels like a personal retreat where comfort and serenity come together naturally. Charles I believe he was under the instruction of his wife to purchase, to use Cozy Earth, and he is here to tell you briefly that they are the finest sheets on the planet.
Speaker 6: Well, I was under the instruction in the sense that I was wanting to click to the mouse. But she gave me the instruction, she gave me the details, she gave me the color, she gave me the size. She was in charge of this, and quite rightly. But I was the beneficiary, or one of two beneficiaries. They are terrific sheets. They are very comfortable. They are cooling, which matters an enormous amount. You already mentioned the weather in Florida and the humidity, and as I point out, every time, you really need to get sheets right because the amount of time that you spend asleep in beds kind of disgusting when you think about your life, and I'm pleased that I spend that time on becuzy sheets as opposed to some other brand.
Speaker 1: Well, the reason they're so good is that they use only the best fabrics and textiles to provide an ultimate ingredient for a luxurious softness that let's just sleep like a baby. And they're not just soft. The weave fabric is enhanced for a durability that won't pull. Best of all Cozy Earth betting products have a one hundred night sleep trial and a ten year warranty. That's a decade of cool quality sleep. Luxury shouldn't be out of reach. Go to code azeearth dot com and use the code Ricochet for up to forty percent off Cozy Earth's best selling temperature regulating sheets, apparel and more. Trust us, you'll feel the difference the very first night. That's cozyearth dot com code Ricochet Sleep Cooler, lounge, lighter, stay cozy. And we thank Cozy Earth for sponsoring this the Ricochet Podcast And thanks to Charles, we not only have the new Republican slogan sometimes things are going to be bad, but we have another slogan as well, you have to get your sheets right. So I can't argue with any of those things. Joining us now. Ryan Salam, president of the Manhattan Institute. In two thousand and nine, he co authored A Grand New Party with the Rosstatt, and his latest book is Melting Pot or Civil War. He can also find his writing in The Atlantic and National Affairs.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Hi guys, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: I love New York. I'm tired of it after about three or four days. I say you win and I leave.
Speaker 4: But I love New York.
Speaker 1: And like everybody who grew up in the Midwest casting their eyes towards Gotham, I've always felt an attachment to it that seems irrational, emotional. But it's America in its most vigorous and proud form, and lately the choices that they make mystify us. But you think they can probably get past in Eric Adams, they can probably endure, you know, de Blasio. It's a strong place now, this guy. Basically, that's my question, and it's not even a question this guy.
Speaker 2: So when you're thinking about Zoronmndani, we're tempted to think about the discontinuities because he seems so different, he's so much younger. He just you know, seems you know, so dangerous to many of us. The interesting thing are the continuities. Now, consider that New York City had a self described Democratic socialist mayor. His name was Bill de Blasio some years ago. Now consider also, when you're looking at the way New York City is governed, we are in the thick of a really profound affordability crisis. Is it something that is the product of a free market in housing. Decidedly not. It's the product of a crazy accretion of rules that essentially treats building private housing as though it is a kind of suspect activity, you know, borderline criminal. You know, it's just, you know, any number of things. So on one level, you know, I am tempted to get drawn into the discontinuity. This is a guy who says things that are incredibly alarming to me as a conservative. And by the way, I should stipulate, I'm speaking on my own behalf, not as a spokesperson for the institution I lead or anything like that. So just to make that crystal clear, I will say that this is someone who says totally alarming stuff all the time. But we should also just recognize that, like the proverbial frog and the boiling pot, it's not as though we're flipping a switch and we're going from robust free market capitalism to a bolivarian revolution by the Hudson. You're just really the conditions that created this were the accretion of failed policies, call them socialists, call them progressive, call them whatever you want that actually contributed to this real crisis.
Speaker 1: You're right about the accretion of strange laws and bylaws and regulations that prevent good housing from being built, even at the same time that they can build the most enormous, waving in the wind pencil thin skyscrapers by Central Park. Now they can bail those, but they can't build regular housing for people and the rest of the city. This guy with his talk of rent control and the rest of it, and the usual progressive platitudes, Yeah, you can say there's continuity. There's somebody like Deblasio, But Deblasio struck me as both sort of lazy and incompetent and not particularly motivated to do the things that would destroy New York. This guy seems to have a fire under him, or is he just a striver who's got a good presentation and is going to use this tool set of ideas that appeal to the shoot to the Luigi Manjohni fan club in order to insert himself into the machine and profit thereafter.
Speaker 4: Forever does he mean it?
Speaker 2: If there were, it's all it's just a matter of what does he mean right? Because you know, here's the thing, you know, the reason why this person is a skillful politician is that he says different things to different audiences. He's able to hit different registers. You know, he's someone who is you know, granted you up until now accomplished relatively little in life. But he's someone who is charismatic, and he's someone who has a seductive ability to mirror to people what exactly it is they want to hear. So, you know, to the kind of revolutionary socialist crowd, they're very confident he's one of them, and he winks at them, and he kind of makes it clear that he's one of them. In all sorts of ways. This is someone who has really been a kind of professional anti Israel obsessive for his entire adult life, and yet he's also able to say, how dare you accuse me of being an anti semi. I will I will increase the amount of spending, you know, to fight hate crimes by eight x. You know, we're going to do this. We're going to do that. You know, it's this is his talent. It's the ability to be all things to all people. And there literally are the same nonprofit progressive establishment that is responsible for New York's dire state. These guys are reconciling themselves to him because you know, he represents another face for the same kind of failed policies with more aggressive agro language turned up to eleven. That's one version of it, right, Another version of it is that, you know, how do you actually kick the door down? People are calling him a socialist, and the problem with that label is that what people hear as they hear well sweet Sweden right, Norway right, Denmark right, when actually this is you know, you're looking at the ban Dung generation, you know, come back to life. When you're looking at is a kind of third worldist position. And you're also looking at someone who's a left wing populist. You know, if you're looking at socialism and Northern Europe, you're looking at we have vats. You know, middle class working class people pay really high consumption taxes and they, you know, and they get some stuff. You pay with one hand, you get something else on the other hand. Right, What this is instead is a kind of punitive egalitarianism. They raise taxes when they were flushed with revenue. They raise taxes because they want to raise taxes on the rich, even if it actually does huge damage to the working in middle class people because there's bigger you know, fish to fry. I mean, this is a different kind of agenda. But the problem is it's totally prodean. It's totally prodean. So it can be one thing one minute, it's going to be another thing another minute. It's going to be like, hey, Brad Lander has a million position papers here, and oh, it's ridiculous to catastrophize. It's ridiculous to think you've got to take him seriously, not literally.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: It is a classic populist playbook. And the democratic establishment is hollow, it is dead, it is bereft, It is completely lacking in talent and imagination and energy. And they were there for the picking.
Speaker 6: Hey Ryan, nice to see you.
Speaker 2: Nice to see you too, Charlie.
Speaker 4: Here's my question.
Speaker 6: I grew up in England, US, you know, and I had this conception of history that essentially guarantee that if things got really bad, people would be sensible, because I learned about the seventy and then I learned about Margaret Thatcher coming in and she fixed it. But now if I listened to my friends and family back home, they sound like people did in the seventies. New York seemed to me, especially when I lived there in the glory days twenty eleven and so on, to be of the same pattern that it had been awful in the seventies and eighties. But then New York has got sensible, and they brought in Giuliani, and then they kept electing Bloomberg, you know, not my favorite guy, but it's mayor of New York, pretty terrific. And then wow, they've gone to de Blasio and Eric Adams and now this guy probably And I wonder how you see it, because on the one hand, we tend to think as conservatives, if things get bad, then people will be sensible and they'll fix it. But then I look at Chicago, and Chicago's never done what New York did, and Chicago seems basically incapable of fixing itself. So are you worried that New York could be in the same place or do you do you think there's enough about New York, whether it's Wall Street or just the fact that it turns over all the time where it's just so dynamic. That means that even if this guy is awful and screws everything up, there'll be a backlash and you'll get sensible policies.
Speaker 2: Again, the hard part is that when you're thinking about the electorate, you know, who are the individuals who are learning and how are they learning? You know, you always have to keep it in mind that we're looking at a dynamic, changing electorate. So, you know, the white population of New York City is not that much lower, perhaps surprisingly, than it was you know, call it in nineteen ninety three, nineteen eighty nine. What's different is that it's no longer multi generational New Yorkers. You know, folks who are third and fourth generation, you know Italian and Irish, you know working class, lower middle class, you know homeowners, and so it's a different group of people. So the white population in New York right now is much more college educated than it had been before. You've got a lot of folks who are transplants. But you know, so that's one thing, right, there's one narrative that, oh, you know, these guys, it's these guys are rich and this kind of thing, and you know, it's luxury beliefs. And I actually think that there's a lot to that. My colleague Rob Henderson, you know, is the is the one who's kind of, you know, advanced this luxury beliefs thesis. But another part of it is this. So you know, if you're looking at the New York City housing market, and allow me to bore you for a moment, you know, you've got about sixty eight percent of the units are rental units, multi family rental units. Of those units, I believe it's about forty eight percent are in the so called unregulated market, and then fifty two percent are rent control, rent stabilized. So, you know, people have observed that Cuomo seemed to win in really poor neighborhoods and then in this tiny sliver of really rich neighborhoods precincts with a median income of over let's say, tw hundred fifty thousand dollars a year. You know, Cuomo did well in those two but in that middle when you're looking at you know, people in neighborhoods with a median income. You know, look seventy five thousand dollars to two hundred thousand dollars or so. These people aren't poor. But it's a really interesting population because if you think about the people in New York, the people who kind of make it here, it feels more and more like you make it here if you have a side deal, if you inherited a rent stabilized apartment, if you're living in Nischa housing, you know, and you have forever, which is not great, by the way, really terrible and miserable. Public housing isn't great, but it's a place to live where you're not buffeted by the fact that you know, rents went up this last year by sixteen percent in the private market, you know the media, and rent for a two bedroom apartment in New York City right now it is fifty five hundred dollars. Wow, these numbers are completely staggering, Okay, And that's the problem is that, you know, if you're a new cumboer in New York, you're a college kid, you didn't just move into it. You know, you didn't just going to find one of the handful of rent regulated apartments that are on the market. Rent regulated apartments get passed down from generation to generation, right now, Okay, what you're dealing. You moved into that unregulated sector, and then you've got I mean, there's so many dynamics to hear to who's living here. So, you know, do you think that those guys were making you know, it's they're making decent money, low six figures anywhere else in the country that would afford you a pretty great life, But in New York City it means that you're on a knife edge. In New York City, who means you're spending a third of your income on rent and you're living with roommates, you know what I mean, the kind of indignities that you have to endure. And then they look at the other, you know, kind of economy, the rich, glamorous economy that gets the attention in New York, the capital accumulation economy where you know, housing price appreciation is part of it. But then also just the people who own assets, they own equity, they're not just collecting a professional salary and navigating the housing market. These are the guys who are the most totally radical out there. They want to burn it down. And these people are not the people. They don't remember New York City. And they also by the way, you know, under Eric Adams, like in the last year, he's not perfect. Yes, crime has gone down markedly in twenty twenty five. So weirdly, the fact that some things were kind of okay and limping along actually meant that, you know, Zara Mangani could come in and zero in on the fact that your rent is a hell of a lot higher now than it was when you first moved here five or ten years ago.
Speaker 4: Why is Krimdell.
Speaker 2: Oh, there's a lot of complexity to that. You know, I have a lot of colleagues who thought very deeply about this. So, you know, part of it could be pay you know, there are big national trends. They're big and complex. You know. Part of it could be that we have a truly you know, we have a really excellent police commissioner right now, who is someone who has been a public servant for a very long time. She knows the police department extremely well, and to the extent that there was a kind of cronyism and laziness in the department she's been really thoughtful about bringing that downe and improving morale in the police force. If you look at law enforcement around the country, morale has been a real challenge, and that's been pronounced in New York. You know, you have a huge number of folks have retired. You have people who are experienced NYPD officers who left to other jurisdictions. When you have competent, effective leadership, that can make a difference. So again, there are many different factors. There are also real things cutting against us. You know, for example, we have a bunch of laws at the state level here in New York that are real outliers. You know, there are a ton of places that embrace criminal justice leniency. They called it criminal justice reform. New York actually really embraced policies that were really out there even by the standards of that rush towards leniency. And so you basically have some you know, folks in law enforcement who are doing their best to manage that. And then you have prosecutors. So I would say that the prosecutors in two of our five boroughs are particularly bad. In Manhattan and the Bronx. You've got other prosecutors who are not great. They're not necessarily the people that I'd want to be there, but they at least live on planet Earth, which is helpful. So there's a lot of complexity to what's happened on the crime front. I do think that, you know, there is more effective leadership right now. And another thing, you'll hear a lot of people say, oh, New York is actually the safest big city in America. Oh, this is exaggerated, and actually, look there's something to that. You know, New York City is an immigrant rich city.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know, New York City is a place that's denser. You know, we do have some firewalls against crime, but at the same time, disorder counts for a lot more in New York City. Charlie Cook used to live here and he, like me, was packed in like a sardine on the subway. So if you have, you know, someone walking down the street, you know in the suburbs of Jacksonville, who is you know, half naked, wearing short shorts and you know, kind of ranting and you know, smelling like he may or may not need a bath.
Speaker 4: You know, that's exactly Charlie.
Speaker 2: Charlie can get on his golf court and then speed up and then kind of go away. If you are on a subway with this person, uh, you know, then that that's a different situation. And actually the value proposition of New York City is density. It is the fact that you get to be kind of around other people. You get the vitality that comes with that that can spoil rotten if you have, you know, people who are bad apples. That's why there is a natural, naturally authoritarian element to effectively running a city like New York City. That's something that you know, Mike Bloomberg, for all of his cosmopolitanism, understood it was you know, kind of a you know, an iron fist and a velvet glove. He understood how that worked. By the way, build a Blasio. Early on he understood that if he was going to demonstrate that a democratic socialist could run a city and be the successor to Bernie Sanders, which was his great dream, that you know, actually you could not let crime get out of control. He thought that right up until Democratic party politics changed circa eighteen twenty nineteen twenty twenty. But you know, much more to say there.
Speaker 5: So Rahan out here in California, we're a little bit annoyed that the New York is so effectively challenging our monopoly on bad elected officials and progressive policy. Right, So, and I wish I could have your equanimity about the scene. So a couple of questions, one on the substance of the mayor's office in New York and then one about the politics of this election campaign to come.
Speaker 2: Just Steve, just want to say, no equanimity here. What I am as a realist and I want to love everything that's going on squarely dead in the eye. So people understand that things were rotting a long time before the last seventy two hours when people stopped started paying attention. But please, yeah, okay, yeah, well all right.
Speaker 5: So you know one thing that I didn't know until I learned this in graduate school forty years ago, is that municipal government is really odd in America. We have what we call weak mayor systems and strong mayor systems, and so it's always surprising for people to learn that Chicago has a weak mayor system. And you say, well, Richard Daly was one of the most powerful mayors in American history. Well, that's because he was such a skillful politician and built a machine. New York has a strong mayor system. By that, I mean they've got the mayors I understand. It gets to set the budget with pretty strong authority over It gets to appoint the heads of all the departments without necessarily the unlike Chicago, where the pointees have to be ratified by the city Council and so forth. So you have a very strong executive in New York. It was always tempered. Sorry for the history lesson here, keep it short for listeners. It was always tempered by the democratic machine that would cough up a beam, especially right. And it's been and you said itself, the democratic establishment is in New York is dead. It's been dying ever since I think ed Koch probably. So now we have this thirty two year old or thirty three year old kid who's very charismatic, as you say, and he's going to be given some powerful keys to a powerful engine.
Speaker 4: And you already mentioned that.
Speaker 5: Gatshi's said he's going to spend more money on hate speech. Well, I don't doubt that he might well do that, but I'm worried that it's really going to be the kind of hate speech that we're worried about, meaning you know, the anti Semitic outbursts, seeing all.
Speaker 4: The rest of the place.
Speaker 5: So anyway, I'm just extremely there's more of a comment than a question, but it's designed a photic reaction. I think that this is an order of magnitude more serious than Deblasio's progressivism was.
Speaker 4: How what do you think?
Speaker 2: So here's the dilemma for people who oppose Zorn Mom, Donnie, Okay. The dilemma is that there is a symbiotic relationship between people who are saying that you know, basically you know, not that you're saying this Steve, that people are going to get shot in the streets. You know what I mean, they're going to be firing squads in Central Park, which is not what you're saying. But there are a lot of people might you know, look, I am alarmed. I am alarmed by many many things. I don't know. If you want me to talk your ear off, I'm happy to do it, you know, for the next you know, twelve hours about basically, you know, kind of what this gentleman has said, what he evidently believes about Israel, the threat that you know, kind of this kind of third worldist brand of socialism represents to peace and security in a very diverse city, in a city that is home to a population of close one million Jewish Americans, you know there's a lot that's extremely combustible. So make no mistake, I am not dismissing that one bit. I think it's dire and I think it's dangerous. What is even more dangerous is what has happened more broadly, if you're looking at national democratic politics, this is the reality that the people who are running against Zora Mondania did democratic primary did not seem to understand. If you look at the views of democratic primary voters nationally and in New York about Israel, about capitalism, about a great many other basic realities of life, it is not what it had been in nineteen ninety five. So because of that, what it means is that certain attacks that people made because they believe them, because they're right, because they are legitimate attacks to make their legitimate criticisms, did not land. Not only did not they not land, but there are people who are fueled by the fact that when something seems like an establishment stitch up, when it looks like all of the shadowy, powerful forces are uniting against you, what does that mean? So that is something that is extremely important to keep in mind. And by the way, you said the never establishment is dead, that's actually not quite what I meant. What I'm in is at their bereft of ideas. I think there are a lot of folks who are still there. And by the way, the establishment in New York City for a while has been a non profit progressive establishment. And this nonprofit progressive establishment represented by someone like Brad Lander, they've taken off one mask and they're putting on another mask, and that now they're trying to get behind Mandani and they're kind of deeply interconnected. And so what they're going to try to do is have another new breath of life, which is that well, we've been thoroughly irradiated and discredited and kind of this way you would be in a fair world, right, except they actually still hold all the levers of power. They're still there, and now what they're seeing is that, ah, this is another opportunity to be in touch with a TikTok generation. So this is the contradiction here, And you know, is this, you know, going to be Havena on the Hudson Okay, On the other hand, is it a corrupt, broken nonprofit progressive establishment that actually caused the affordability crisis, that actually they were the ones who went it was fashionable to say defund the police. Did now they say Department of Community Safety and then the idea that they could to have a new breath of life by us saying that actually, this is totally different from what came before. I don't know if we want to let people off the hook that way, Steve, That's that's the kind of an awkward question here.
Speaker 5: Well, all right, I've been thinking back to a parallel from here in California from a very long time ago. It's amazing Hut's forgotten a new deal history that in nineteen thirty four Upton Sinclair won the Democratic primary to be governor, and it's set the same kind of headlines you're seeing in the Wall Street Journal this week. Panic in the business community, hysteria in Hollywood, and it took weeks for people to gin up the app. Oh, by the way, he's running against the mediocre Republican incumbent who's kind of roughly the equivalent of Eric Adams. It's a great story that says, I say, it doesn't make the history books. Everyone always talks about Roosevelt being worried about Huey Long, but they were worried about Upton Sinclair being elected governor of California.
Speaker 4: Went in a in a jungle primary. Oh that's pretty good. I gotta borrow that.
Speaker 5: I should write an article I think for your city General Y Haunt about that the lessons of that campaign, because what ultimately turned it around, and it took weeks for people to say, what are we gonna do about this guy? He's world famous, he's popular. By the way, it was called the EPIC campaign that was short for End Poverty in California. Sounds a lot like like a Bond dobby. And what it took was Hollywood stepped in. It was uh, Louis B. Mayor was the ringleader. And by the way, you know, just as Hollywood is today. The writers and actors loved Upton Sinclair rights, but it was the owners of the studios and some of the business interests, and what they did was went back through you might say, the equivalent of Sinclair's Twitter feed. Right, He'd said a lot of crazy stuf for years and used it very effectively against him and ended up re electing this mediocre Republican Okay, so we're hearing all these machinations. Now that's well, maybe Andrew Cuomo shouldn't drop out, Maybe she'd run as an independent. Maybe we'll get Curtis Sliwa to drop the Republican line and make Adams the Republican nom you know, all kinds of things like that. So it's going to take a while, I think to see any opposition. But my suspicion is, even if Wall Street puts up a lot of money and the sort of non or I'll put it this way, the for profits segments of the Democratic establishment try to draw a line, I could actually see that helping mom Dommy, because he's, you know, like you say, charismatic, is going to have a lot of national interest and attention, and if he wins, he'll probably get off to a big, flashy start. And my prediction is he's his name will be immediately floated as a Democratic candidate for twenty twenty eight for president. So would you have any prognostications or expectations of how this might unfold.
Speaker 2: You've given me a lot to work with here, So yeah, so thirty three years old, you know, I don't know about you know, kind of there there are a lot of different uh, you know, bumps in the road before you get to twenty twenty eight, I made the Deblasio comparison right, which understandably, you know, we recoil from him. He's a different figure. But you know, one difference is that Bill de Blasio was a Red Sox fan. Bill de Blasio is not someone who lived and breathed New York. He didn't really kind of come across to people as someone who just really loved the city. And when you look at you know, Mike Bloomberg, you know, he was not beloved by the city's you know, kind of progressive cadreds, but you know, he was someone who didn't have to be in that job, and he's someone there was a certain kind of affection for him. If you look at Mam Donni, Mam Donnie does seem to actually like New York. You know, he's someone who actually, you know, he loves the Halal carts. He loves that. You know, there's something about him that seems earnest and approachable. And also, you know, he's thirty three, so he has a lot of time. And you know, I think that if you want a scenario where a guy like this can become a really you know, formidable threat, you know, on a national scale. I actually don't think it would be rushing to a twenty twenty eight presidential bid. And my suspicion is that he gets that. And I think that when you're looking at the fact that AOC was a very critical mover in getting behind him, I think that there's a line, and I don't think he's going to be looking to jump that line. When you look at this world of hard left political organizing, when you look at the DSA, when you look at the people that they look to as their you know, standard bearers, their inspirations, they believe, you know, in building a discipline movement. You know, this guy knocked on over one and a half million doors. He did not do that by himself. He did that with an army of volunteers, tens of thousands of them. And I think that, you know, the I suspect the moves are to basically co oct that nonprofit progressive establishment. As you're governing cadres, you know, you take the helm of certain key institutions, the commanding heights. The Department of Education employs an awful lot of people. It's educating eight hundred thousand plus students. You know, that's going to be something very important when you have a grand ideological project with the NYPD. I'm not sure exactly where they're going to land, but there are a few different places when the kind of people who are the people that you know that I think of a civil terrorist in the streets, people who claim to be protesting but who are in fact intimidating and engaging in you know, basically manipulating the fact that we are now not enforcing various laws, you know, to create menacing protests. When those people feel as though they have an ally in city hall, well maybe they behave differently, right, maybe you know, kind of this is going to be really interesting and complex because it could be that he's a total imbecile and that he you know, there's going to be a crisis day one and this streets are going to be you know, a flame, and then you know, kind of that's that. Another possibility is that the city is already you know, it's already a slow burn, it's already a death by a thousand cuts, in which you basically are driving out private capital. Okay, you know you're driving out you know the kind of working class, middle class moderates. Okay, you're trying to kind of like raise the temperature to do that. It's the curly effect that doesn't necessarily hurt you if what you're looking to is consolidate power over a city government that has three hundred thousand employees. So you know, there are many different ways this can play out. But I uh, and by the way, what where I thought you were going is that you can imagine. I think you can imagine a spirited Eric Adams campaign, and we can talk a bit about that. But I think that you know, you can call it. You know, is Momdani the odds on favorite? Of course he is. But I also think that, you know, we should learn from having seen crazy things happen that other crazy things can happen too.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 1: If Trump gets the economy back on its feet and everything comes along and industry is resure like General Electric announcing they were going to do today, then people will feel in twenty twenty eight as though they have the permission to indulge in luxury beliefs because things are going someway. Or if everything is cratered by twenty twenty eight, then they'll think, well, we have no other choice. Let's give repudiation of capitalism to try and see how that goes. So yeah, who knows, and it will be interesting. I do know this. I am. As I said at the beginning of this. I love Manhattan. I wanted to thrive. You know, However, if he crashes the office market, it's entirely possible that they will not build the Commodore tower, which means that it won't overshadow the Chrysler building, which is something that I worry about. And why I worry about that sitting here in Minneapolis, I don't know, only that I sort of want to be able to go there and see that magnificent inspire from every angle, and I'll be blocked out by Commodore. And I hate the new JP Morgan building. I gotta say, what do you think?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 2: I just love capital investment, I love and employers who want to create jobs in New York City. Yep. And you know that's that's where I.
Speaker 1: Stand, all right, from an esthetic standpoint, we will have to well, you know, we'll see, but yes, no, I love the commitment that it represents, just like all the rest of it. And will New York be still standing in two or three.
Speaker 4: Years, of course it will.
Speaker 1: Will it be as interesting a place?
Speaker 4: Well, we'll talk to you again then about that.
Speaker 1: We thank you for joining today. We'll have you on to talk about the book, which we didn't get around to. But melting pot or civil war seems to be the question that's in front of everybody these days. So give that a pickup, and you can read his writing in the Atlantic and National Affairs as well.
Speaker 4: Ryan sol I'm thank you for joining us today.
Speaker 1: Thanks guys, And we didn't get it. We didn't get in the book. Hey, excuse me for interrupting here for a second, but you know, we're talking about the effects of all these things on business. Maybe you got one, and maybe you started your business because it was your passion. I'm talking to you listening to this saying, hey, yeah that's me. I started a business. I was passionate about it. But you know what, maybe you fell into HR hell as your business got going. No, nobody's an expert in all areas, and that includes HR. And that's why we're excited to talk about an all in one solution that can give you your time back to doing that which you love to do most growing your business right well, Bamboo HR it's a powerful, you had, flexible, all in one HR solution for your growing business. It's not spending countless hours on payroll and on time tracking and benefits and performance management. Know with Bamboo HR, those hours are shaved down to minutes. And that's why over thirty four thousand companies trust Bamboo HR thirty four thousand because it's an integrated system that's designed to handle your current and your upcoming HR needs. Plus plus, Bamboo HR prides itself on being easy, super easy, easy to use, easy to learn, easy to implement, and very of course very easy to love as well. Bamboo HR handles everything from hiring, to onboarding to payroll and benefits.
Speaker 4: Don't you love it already?
Speaker 1: And when business owners switch to Bamboo HR, the intuitive interface stands up right away. Take a couple of minutes if you want to check out the free demo and see how nimble and affordable this valuable too can be HR. It's hard, but Bamboo HR is easy. Can't recommend Bamboo HR enough. Check out out you himself with a free demo with Bamboo hr dot com slash free demo that's Bamboo hr dot com slash free demo bamboo hr dot com slash free demo, and we thank bamboo hr for sponsoring this the Ricochet Podcast. Well, it's been a consequential week. What else can we talk about? Anything happened in any place else? I think we sent a plane that dropped the something on a manhole and then sent five precision guidance venitions after it. And well, if you, of course listen to what CNN was telling us, low impact didn't really do anything, set them back about a day and a half. Steven Charles, your thoughts on the ear on strike.
Speaker 4: Wait, wait, James, did you just say manhole?
Speaker 5: I mean it's there, please the personnel access covers.
Speaker 1: Now, Ah, you're right here. I'm using gendered language again. That was what an old style guy.
Speaker 5: I still call him that too. No, well, look, I don't really have anything. I don't know, either original or consequential to say.
Speaker 4: I'm pleased that we.
Speaker 1: And that has stopped us all, that has stopped us all when exactly here.
Speaker 5: Exactly right? Yeah, yeah, I mean I have to say that. Well, first of all, a general comment that may upset Charlie a little bit. The whole progress of Trump so far seems to be reminding me, you're giving off an eighties feel, you know, when Reagan came in and things just started going well. And there are some parallels including, you know, when the Israelis bombed the Iraqi nuclear reactor in what June of nineteen eighty one and upset everybody, but privately everyone was saying it was great. But here we now know that Trump practiced active deception in several ways.
Speaker 4: Right. You know, we said, well, I'm going to wait two.
Speaker 5: Weeks to make a decision, when in fact the decision had already been made, and the news has come out late in the week that there was a lot more coordination between Trump and net and Yahoo, and a lot of deliberate misinformation fed out to the media to mislead the Iranians. Topped all top with the fact that we sent a whole lot of planes or conspicuously toward Guam, which was thought to have been an effort to mislead the Iranians, but I think might have had the secondary purpose of telling the Chinese, you know what, we're paying attention to your increased harassment of Taiwan and the Philippines. So I don't know, Trump seems to me to be dealing from a load of aces these days. And then you know, lay here in the week NATO members say, okay, well, increased defense spending to five percent of GDP, and another headline that, oh, European country is saying what tariffs and barriers can we give up and trade with the United States to please Trump?
Speaker 4: That looks to me like a guy who's on a roll morning in America.
Speaker 1: The strike with the strike with the equivalent of the Granada invasion. And I don't say that lightly. That was just one of those things that said, hey, we actually can do something like this without crashing all our helicopters in the desert and the faint towards Guam is you noted, may indeed have been a reminder, nice little three gorgeous damn you have there if anything happened to it, which of course I don't think we would do, because the loss of life would be absolutely fantastic. But you never know, you never know, Charles, You thought.
Speaker 4: Why would that upset me, Steve? Oh, only because I know.
Speaker 5: You you're disdained for Trump is transparent and well worn, well argued.
Speaker 4: I respect it, but in.
Speaker 6: Many quarters, sure, but I think I'm fair minded in evaluating what he does, and I think what he did here was good.
Speaker 4: I am of the view.
Speaker 6: That Congress is necessary, but that's a view that takes issue with seventy five years of American president all with Trump. Trump did nothing here that wouldn't have been done by Obamba or Bill Clinton or Harry Truman. This was a good decision I thought was well executed. I'm interested to see what happens next. I'd love to know who is right in the international community and their evaluation of how much damage this did. But at the very least, it seems that this is set back the program by months, if not years, and given that we were in the middle of a conflict that Israel began, justifiably, I think it was correct of the United States to piggyback and make sure that all three of the facilities were set back or hopefully completely destroyed. This is, you know, something we would not have got under President Harris, and we should acknowledge that.
Speaker 1: No, but it's interesting that people are saying that President Trump is all of his disinformation and lying in two weeks and the rest of it has lost credibility. Now nobody can really believe what he says, which is just a sort of reflexive anti Trump nonsense you hear from time to time. I mean, I've been on this podcast many a year, and it's no secret that I have different opinions on the man and his character and the rest of it. But it doesn't matter in the end. What matters are the actions, and what matters are the consequences of the actions. And I thought this was just great. I mean, the display of American power and precision is awe inspiring, you know. And people equate this somehow with as though we'd loaded everything up and attacked a Tehran daycare center. I mean, this is a very specific application of American morals as well as anything else, and that appalls people who say, why just you know, Israel can have nukes but Iran kent. Yes, that's absolutely true. That's absolutely the way it works the country is that it is a liberal democracy that grants free rights to all sorts of people, regardless.
Speaker 4: Of their ethnicity.
Speaker 1: That is a tech superpower that is remarkable in its ingenuity. Yes, those people who pose no threat to the Western civilization, they get to have nukes.
Speaker 4: And these guys over.
Speaker 1: Here, a few of whom believe that the twelfth the mom is going to clamber out of a well at some point and caused the infidels to go up and smoke.
Speaker 4: They do not, I don't know.
Speaker 6: Wrong, it doesn't past the background check. Progressive instinctive, they understand this. Israel and Iran both went through a background check for these weapons, and Israel passed and Iran failed.
Speaker 1: That's a very good point because somebody who on TikTok was saying, so, I don't know why the conservatives are so upset, really, I mean, it's not you know, guns don't kill people. People kill people, so you know, nuclear weapons don't kill people.
Speaker 4: It's like, you know it.
Speaker 1: Well, yes, I mean, in a sense that's exactly what we're saying, is that these are not the people that you want toss in AR fifteen too. So there's that apparently, though. I mean the native thing is interesting as well. But it's also I think today when we're doing this is the seventieth anniversary of America getting involved in the Korean War, and I always cast my mind back to that and think of the people who were still remembering the bruising conflict of World War Two and the thought of getting into another and the thought of it being as attracted as it was. But yet the only lasting cultural impact that it seems to have given us is Mash, which is, you know, basically a Vietnam parable. He doesn't occupy the same sort of space in the American imagination that Vietnam or World War Two is.
Speaker 4: Why do you think that is?
Speaker 5: Well, I'll give you a couple of theories, partly reflecting what my dad used to talk about in the Korean War, which he was called up for out of the Navy reserves, having fought throughout the entirety of World War Two in the Navy, and he stayed in the reserves because a lot of people that coming out of World War Two, when their formal service ended, you know, it was one hundred bucks a month, whatever it paid. And my dad was a flyer, so it was a chance for him to keep his flying current when he was a person with you know, no means at that time, and so it was nice to be able to fly on Uncle Sam's dime. But he said that when suddenly the war started and they called up the reserves to send to Korea, a whole lot of the reserves said, hey, wait a minute, we didn't think this meant going back to war, right, and there was a lot of people trying to get out of it and so forth. Anyway, my dad went and began in Korea, and I think that you had going for them then. Was you hinted to this, James? There was the recollection that you know, we did pretty well in World War Two. It was long and difficult, but we won that, and so we had the track record you might say, of winning conflicts, and you know, Korea became very unpopular by degrees, to the point where I think Truman's approval rating in fifty two, which is one reason he didn't stand for reelection, was something you know, in the high twenties or something dismal, and I think the parallel here.
Speaker 4: It's not perfect, it never is, but.
Speaker 5: You know, there's this lingering unhappiness on all sides about how badly things went, you know, fifteen twenty years ago in Iraq and Afghanistan. And therefore you saw, you know, we talked about this once before a lot of our I guess i'll use the term paleocon friends like Dan McCarthy and others saying absolutely Trump cannot back Israel and get into this war in any fashion because it means regime change in twenty years of occupation of Tehran and other nonsense like that, I think it's pretty clear that Trump has no intention of doing that, although he has teased the idea of regime change, which I think is a more important question than how bad the damage is to Ford out elsewhere. So I mean, I think that's I think the pendulum goes back and forth. Right, For the First Gulf War in nineteen ninety ninety one, we were told that that finally ended the Vietnam syndrome, but then the Vietnam syndrome came back ten years later with the Iraqi Afghanistan syndrome.
Speaker 4: So you know, here we are.
Speaker 5: I think the lasting effects of this will be good, although that you know, depends on events as always.
Speaker 1: Well, with Afghanistan and Iraq, we won. We just hung around and did skid things. I mean, we want that wasn't a case of protracted a year after year slog after slog. Afghanistan was a fairly fairly fast walkover, and Iraq.
Speaker 4: Too as well.
Speaker 1: Of course, the whole pacification and depatification and the rest of that stuff's a little bit more complicated with that's another podcast, Charles, anything else you want to tell.
Speaker 4: Us before we go out?
Speaker 1: Is there a British equivalent to the Korean experience in this century?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 6: The British famously stayed out to Vietnam, which gave British people and military personnel and eighties a different view of war. But the British have the same political trauma over the Second Iraq War that the Americans have, and so they've been brought into line.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: Well, that is true, but as we know, things change, minds are focused elsewhere quickly, and we'll see what the rest of the year has to go, he says, obviously wrapping things up. We'd like to thank Cozy earth Boy. We would, and we'd like to thank Bamboo Hr as well. Responsoring this show, you can do yourself a favor by availing yourself with their fine products and making your life better, easy, and more comfortable than all those things. You also might want to go, Oh, I'm not even to say it, Why do I even bother? I was going to tell you to go to Apple Podcasts or any of the place where you can possibly rate a podcast and give us five stars, but I'm so tired of telling you, I'm not going to tell you to do that, because well, if you did, you know, would surface the show a little bit more, get us some more subscribers, and perhaps get people to go over to ricochet dot com and see exactly where this stuff comes from. And if they did that, they would find not only a front page that is bursting with interesting pieces, but a member site, a member page that you've got to pay a couple of you know, shiny quarters to get to. But that's where a community has been formed. That is the thing you've been looking for all your.
Speaker 4: Days on the web.
Speaker 1: Forget Facebook, forget your Twitter, forget your Bumble, forget your blue Sky. Go to ricochet dot com and sign up right now. But I'm not going to say any of that because I'm tired of it. I am not, however, tired of talking Steven and Hayward. But it's Steven En Hayward and Charlie En Cook. But it's time. But it's time to go, and I've said too much. Thank you for listening, and we'll see everybody in the comments at Ricochet four point zero.
Speaker 4: Bye bye