Speaker 1: Bill Cunningham, the Great American. Of course, the market, the fluctuations are unbelievable. Up down, thousand points there, two thousand points there. And it's going to be a belly match between Jijao Ping on one hand, maybe the Big Show on one hand, and then the Andra Andre the Giant on the other. You got ping Ge against Trump. Someone's got a back down. No one's going to back down. If they back down? What does it all mean? Joonan? You and I now Steve Gorm he's the executive director of the Climate Science Coalition of America, author of four books on energy, including the Great One, which is out available from any to see the Green Breakdown the coming renewable energy failure Steve Gorm And first of all, Steve, welcome again to the Bill Cunningham Show. And Steve, a lot of people would like to know with the green energy breakdown happening. I see windmills falling apart in New England. I see coal miners are happy in West Virginia. I see pipelines being now authorized. But one issue that has come to mind is all these tariff The tariff war is going on. You have said that these tariffs specifically will hammer green energy. Can you explain that to the American people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really amazing what's going on now. Not only we've talked about before the Trumpet executive orders that want to cut down green energy for this country. We also talked about Trump suspending all of the offshore wind leases for the offshore wind which affects ten states and affects California, Oregon on the west coast, ten states on the East coast. But now we have this tremendous tariff war going on, and this is really a big issue with green energy. And depending on when folks are listening to this, the United States has raised the tariffs on Chinese imports to over one hundred percent and China has just boosted the return dotory tariffs up to eighty four percent on US goods that are sold in China. So we have a tremendous war going on between the US and China. And there are some other angles to this as well. First off, a lot of this affects green energy, and that's because we import a lot of green energy components from China. China produces over eighty percent of the solar panels that come into the US, or they produce components, and China has been offshoring some of this to Vietnam and other places. But Trump's tariffs are also on Vietnam, and so we have solarselves. We have components for batteries that go into electric vehicles. China refines about sixty percent of the world's lithium, eighty percent of the cobalt, ninety percent of the manganese and east go into electric vehicle batteries, and also the batteries that are going the grid scale batteries that California and New York and some other states want to put into place as well. So it's just a tremendous impact. We also have these tariffs affecting Europe, and many of the wind turbines that want to go off the East Coast are coming from a European suppliers and those are going to be hit with twenty percent or so. So really a tremendous impact on renewables. Whereas you know, we can remain the biggest producer of natural gas, of petroleum, of one of the bigest producers of coal in the world. These things are US produced, and so the price difference between hydrocarbons and renewables is going to get very, very big.
Speaker 1: And Steve Gorma, I live in the Midwest, and whether it's Ohio or Indiana, because we're largely flat because of the ice bar at the Ice Age about fourteen thousand years ago, it scraped the land flat. So Indian, Ohio, many parts of Michigan have these huge wind turbines, and these things when they break down without a large battery storage system, these things don't work at all when the wind doesn't blow. The energy must be stored. One of the things that's always perplexed me off the East Coast is out the environmentalists always cried about the whales and the dolphins are being affected because of pollution, and all of us are against pollution. Not too many of us are in favor of a green energy future because of the expenses. Can you explain why the environmentalist off New England suddenly find wind turbines which are gigantic. These things are not like a windmill. These things are unbelievable in size that have killed literally millions of marine animals over the past ten years. And now they're breaking down and there's no parts available, and the parts have become available are too expensive. China has us in a bad position when you talk about lithium and cobalt. Why don't the environmentals care so much about whales and dolphins killed by their green energy future. They don't seem to care.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the environmental groups have sold their sold their souls to the superstiti of men made global warming. You're right. Back in nineteen fifties, nineteen sixties, nineteen seventies, it was save the whales. It was, you know, let's talk about the oceans and the environment and real pollution. But the theory of climatism or the ideology of climatism, has really become front and center for every environmental group. And now they're even willing to trade off birds and eagles that are that are chopped up by wind turbans, impact on whales off the coast. Those things are now secondary to global warming. It's very, very unfortunate, and I think that's one of the reasons why mister Trump doesn't like wind turbines and why he sees put a block on the licenses off the East coast. But we're just going to see this industry really really hammered. And it's not only the tariffs, but Trump administration has been cutting a US climate policy throughout his organization. He's basically told NASA that you're going to concentrate on space. Isn't that refreshing? Yes, because NASA was doing a lot of climate stuff. Noah is reducing head count. They have about thirteen thousand personnel, they're cutting about two thousand, and a lot of those are tied to climate things. The EPA under Lee's Eldon is cutting a lot of staff also tied to climate, and the Federal Energy Management Agency is cutting staff that have been doing work on climate change. So just tremendous top to bottom shifts in the administration.
Speaker 1: Well, we have Donald Trump wanting to save the whales and the Democrats want to kill them. Now, another issue is Pete Hegseth. You have a great column post at Steve gorm about the new Secretary Department of Defense, and I saved the club. I'm gonna play it later about Lloyd Austin sitting there and General Mark Milly. They're sitting there about two years ago and one of the Republican Senators said Secretary Defense Lloyd Austin, who by the way, was a lobbyist for Raytheon. But that's a different issue. What are the two or three biggest issues facing the American military? So I would thought, you know, the biggest issues are like China, about space, about the incapability we have of producing our own batteries to fuel maybe the electrical grid. No, No, the biggest number one issue was white supremacy in the military, and the number two issue was climate change identification then mitigation. We have like seven hundred military bases in one hundred different countries, and so the Secretary Defense and the Chairman of the Joint Chief said, we go into a military base, identify how we're inflicting ourselves upon the environment, and by doing so, we come up with a mitigation plan. So American military base, which is there to guard the natives, shall we say, whether in Europe or Asia or Africa from being invaded or what. The biggest thing is not the well being of the soldiers, but we have to identify climate change, and then we have to mitigate and spend billions of dollars making sure that our military bases are conversant with the demands of Greta Thunberg. Can you explain to me how that's possible for the American military.
Speaker 2: It's absolutely crazy, and this has been growing for a number of years now. Last month, the new Secretary of the Defense Department of Defense, Pete Hagsth wrote that the Department of Defense does not do climate change crap. We do training and war fighting. And so again a tremendous change. But this has been growing back since about since the Obama administration, about twenty ten. The Secretary of the Navy at that time, let's see Ray ABIs, He made a statement in twenty eleven that said, by no later than twenty twenty, at least half of the energy that the Navy uses, both afloat and the shore will come from non fossil fuel sources. And he called this the Great Green Fleet Initiative. And so the Navy spent literally almost one hundred billion dollars over a decade trying to They tried to do hybrid electric drive green destroyers, but then they found that they couldn't keep up with the carriers when they're running on those electric engines. And they tried to convert everything to biofuels, but the biofuel portion of the fuel cost fourteen dollars a gallon, about seven times as much as a diesel portion, and so it was a terrific failure. And by twenty twenty U twenty twenty two, if you exclude the nuclear carriers, less than one percent of the rest of the fuel came from biofuels, despite spending all these these billions. And then you know, but under the Biden administration, they were doubling down. And if you look at a climate report, there's a Climate Action two thirty plan from the Navy, and it was lauding things like these projects. They had one called the Mekong Delta Climate Research collaboration with the government of Vietnam, and then they had another one on California organic recycling and composting. This is the Navy, Navy, and so you got to say, well, how does this help Navy readiness? You know, it's just leaving. And not only the Navy, the Air Force wanted to do a sustainable aviation fuel and spend money on that for jets, and the Army, in a report called Army Climate Strategy Plan of twenty twenty two, called for taking all of the battlefield vehicles and making them electric, even the tanks.
Speaker 1: And you say an electric tank, electric tank? Are you kidding me? An electric tank?
Speaker 2: And not only that, they were developing battlefield chargers that they would carry out there and try and charge these these takes, you know, sitting on the battlefield were charging. I mean, it's just crazy. But Haig Seth is getting rid of all this stuff. Just another huge change to to get rid of this climate ethic that has inflate inflated all of our government.
Speaker 1: Now you have some great stats. The EV share was at eight percent and twenty twenty three up slightly from I'm sorry, twenty twenty four, EV sales fell nine percent without incentivizing and paying Americans through tax credits to buy the evs. How much better would we have been if we had gone to hybrids, which creates its own energy because of the rolling of the tires, and Toyota has bet on hybrids and hydrogen instead of this dream of a of a of a fossil fuel energy future. How much better off would we have been with hybrids. In fact, some Toyota's are on their mark with this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hybrids are growing, they're actually doing better than pure plug in evs. But the problem is, you know, the United States and Europe they were offering incentives but only for pure plug in electric vehicles. This seventy five hundred dollars text credit. Europe was doing the same thing. And if you had a if you had a combustion engine in your car that burned gasoline, even if there's a hybrid, it's bad, bad news, you know. So again, the climate ideology was taking people away from what makes some sense. Just just another another bad set of policies. Uh.
Speaker 1: And lastly, I've heard you often say, Steve Gorm that the evs are worse for the environment than regular gasoline powered cars. Can you tell the American people why if you buy an EV bribed by the government to do it, that is a worse ecological decision than a gasoline powered car.
Speaker 2: Well, in other ways, you know, the government's been focused on getting rid of carbon dioxide emissions and that really doesn't hurt the environment. That's what's crazy. And EV is to produce a little bit less of that. But as you say, uh, they're producing you need all these metals that are mined and developing nations the ore, and then it goes to China for processing. So if we switch all our cars to evs and we're dependent on China for all the batteries and for all the metals, and uh, that would be not a good thing. And then and then you know, we have big areas of land. We acquire all this mining, huge amounts of land, and you have all this waste for metal production, and so you have big pollution issues with evs as well. Uh, it can be not okay, but not in China, not in the Democratic Republic of Congo where all these places are producing it right now. And now this big trade war is just going to shut all that down. Man. We just have a tremendous world in flux energy wise right now.
Speaker 1: All the liberals that buy the evs and Tesla I won't own an EV But nonetheless, I think about the thousands of kids on their hands and knees needs in the Congo actually digging for these products that are killing and destroying the lives of little black kids in the Congo to supply the base materials shipped off to China to have this battery technology. And you know, I thought liberals cared about minority kids. I thought liberals cared about especially little black children on their knees in the dark mining these exotic metals. But I guess liberals don't care or the media doesn't cover it. And if the government bribes you to purchase these evs, which I think that's over with now that maybe the media at some point will cover where these exotic materials come from and the cost to the natives living there, working in the dark and dying in caves by themselves because evs must have these exotic batteries. I've not seen one report anywhere what happens in the congo, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been very very few. And then the flip side, not only the raw materials, but once the battery wears out, what do you do with it? Well, you can't recycle the thing. We've had like four recycling plants around the world that have ignited and gone up in flames over the last two or three years because these batteries self ignite. So you have a big problem with all these batteries piling up. You put them in landfills. You know, that's not such a good idea. It's very expensive to get the metals out of them, and then they're fire hazards as well. But you know, I think I think the world is stepping back from this a little bit, and we're putting a little bit of Brakes on. So maybe we're going to get back to some common sense again.
Speaker 1: Well Trump is all about common sense. We'll see what happens. But it's Steve Gorm. You may reach you. I think it's Steve Gorham G O. R. E. H A M. Dot com is not correct. Get all your books and all the information. The truth will set us free.
Speaker 2: Yes, and the copies there. Anyway, in Green Breakdown there's one hundred and forty colored sidebars and one of one of the funny ones is Britain's advice to stop showering to conserve energy, and so they're advising people to shower with a friend. But I have all these these sightbars in Green Breakdown. Are that make the book fun as well as informative?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, Steve, I think a lot of Bretts they have bad teeth and they stink and the food is terrible. Maybe I shouldn't say that, but I think two of those things are accurate. But Steve Gorm, once again, Steve Gorm dot com, Executive director of the Climate Science Coalition, thanks again for coming on the Bill Cunningham Show, Markets and Fluctuations. Eventually we're gonna end up in pretty good shape, but Steve, thank you very much. Thanks Bill, Let's continue with more. Bill Cunningham, the Great American, Live live at your home of the Reds and Moore News Radio seven hundred WLW