Speaker 1: I really want you to picture a freezing winter morning back in nineteen seventy six. You know, just put yourself there for a second.
Speaker 2: Oh man, winter in the seventies.
Speaker 1: That hits different, It really does. You were standing in Carbon County, Pennsylvania. It's December twentieth, and the air is well, it's that brutal, biting kind of cold, the kind that instantly turns every single breath into this thick cloud of smoke, right the.
Speaker 2: Kind of cold that just cuts right through your jacket exactly.
Speaker 1: So imagine you are a fourteen year old boy named Kenneth Jumper Junior. You're just walking along the frozen banks of the Lehigh River. You've got your hands shoved deep into your pockets, maybe just kicking at the frost.
Speaker 2: Just being a normal kid on a winter day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. But then you spot something completely out of place against all that dead winter brush suitcases. Oh wow, three of them, just lying there near the river bank.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's a jarring visual right away. Luggage belongs in the trunk of a car or a train.
Speaker 1: Station, right, not a riverbank.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Seeing suitcases scattered at the bottom of a three hundred foot drop beneath Interstate eighty. That immediately signals that something has gone terribly, terribly wrong.
Speaker 1: It really does. And the thing is two of those suitcases had actually burst open, I mean from the impact of that massive three hundred foot fall from the bridge above.
Speaker 2: That is a massive drop.
Speaker 1: It is one was still intact, just sort of resting in the bare bushes. So young, Kenneth, he walks closer because you know, it's human nature to be curious, right, He's just a kid.
Speaker 2: He wants to see what's inside.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he sees something protruding from one of the shattered suitcases. At first glance, his brain sort of tries to protect him from what he's actually looking at. He processes it as a doll's.
Speaker 2: Head, oh god, because the alternative is just too horrible to comprehend exactly.
Speaker 1: But taking one more step, the reality sets in. It's not a doll. Terrified, he just turns and runs to get help.
Speaker 2: I can't even imagine that moment of terror for a fourteen year old boy. That was basically the inciting incident for what would become one of the coldest, strangest, and just most profoundly complex mysteries in the history of Pennsylvania.
Speaker 1: It really was.
Speaker 2: He had just discovered two victims who had remained completely nameless for the next forty four years.
Speaker 1: And that right there is the mission of our deep dive. Today, we are exploring this four decade mystery of Beth Dough, an unidentified pregnant teenager whose brutal murder just seemed to fall into this total systemic.
Speaker 2: Void, complete void.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we are going to unpack how a meticulously planned crime and literally a single piece of paper acting as this information firewall, along with decades of technological dead ends, were finally unraveled. And they were unraveled by a grandson who simply wanted to build his family tree online.
Speaker 2: It is such an incredible narrative, and I think the value in dissecting this case isn't just in the true crime aspect of it. It serves as this comprehensive masterclass across so many different disciplines. We are looking at the agonizingly slow evolution of friends science over half a century.
Speaker 1: Oh, the science part is mind blowing, it really is.
Speaker 2: Plus, we are examining the maddening complexities and honestly, they sometimes fatal structural flaws of the American legal system.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that part is going to frustrate a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Definitely, and centrally. We are confronting the devastating impact of systemic blind spots on immigrant families in the United States.
Speaker 1: So as we walk through these events today, I want you to keep one haunting question in your mind as you listen. How does a pregnant, fifteen year old girl just vanish from a crowded, tight knit city apartment without a single missing person report ever being filed?
Speaker 2: It seems impossible, right, But the answer to that question requires us to really look at the immediate aftermath of Kenneth Jumper's discovery.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's go there.
Speaker 2: When the Pennsylvania State Police arrived at the Lehigh River on that December twenties, they were met with a scene that shook even the most hardened investigators.
Speaker 1: I mean, I would think so. So inside those three very common tools, untraceable suitcases, where the dismembered remains of a young woman along with a near term female fetus.
Speaker 2: It's just horrific, it really is.
Speaker 1: Yea, And everything had been tightly wrapped in this old Shaneil blanket. And you know, a Shneil blanket is such a domestic comforting item.
Speaker 2: Right, something you have on your couch.
Speaker 1: Yeah. To see it repurpose for something so horrific is deeply unsettling. And then the autopsy details come back and they reveal this narrative of immense calculated violence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the medical examiner ruled the manner of death a homicide obviously. Yeah, but the primary cause was strangulation, Okay. However, that was accompanied by severe facial trauma, specifically a broken nose, and on top of all that, a gunshot wound to the neck.
Speaker 1: Wait, all three, that level of violence points to extreme overkill. I mean, a gunshot, blunt force, trauma, and strangulation all point to this intense, deeply personal rage. Absolutely, But then we have the dismemberment, which introduces a completely different psychological element to the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Right. The forensic time line here is critical for you to understand. The dismemberment did not cause her death. It occurred post mortem, so after the fact exactly. Investigators noted that the person responsible quote knew what they were doing. They made it clear this wasn't like a surgeon's precise cut, but it was skilled enough to efficiently break down a human body to fit into standard luggage.
Speaker 1: That is just so chilling.
Speaker 2: And furthermore, based on the condition of the remains in that freezing weather, the medical examiner determined the crime had occurred within a mirre twenty four hours before discovery.
Speaker 1: I really want to pause on that twenty four hour window, because it completely changes the profile of the crime, doesn't it. It changes everything, right, because if someone is killed, dismembered, packed up, transported, and thrown off a three hundred foot interstate bridge all within a single day, we aren't looking at a prolonged kidnapping situation.
Speaker 2: No, not at all.
Speaker 1: We can entirely rule out an extended captivity scenario, you know, where someone is held in a basement for weeks exactly.
Speaker 2: It indicates this rapid, cold premeditation followed by a highly calculated disposal.
Speaker 1: The logistics alone are staggering.
Speaker 2: I mean, think about the logistics required to commit the murder, find the space and the tools to perform the dismemberment, clean the scene, pack the suitcases, and then drive to a remote interstate bridge. That requires a chilling level of focus in control.
Speaker 1: It really does. Yet, despite having the victim's remains, the police had an absolute zero on her identity. The physical characteristics indicated she was petite. She had black hair and olive skin, which led investigators to suspect she was of Latina or Mediterranean descent.
Speaker 2: Which is a fairly broad category.
Speaker 1: Right. So they released facial sketches to the public, distributed them far and wide in newspapers, on the news, and they got absolutely nothing. No one came forward, no one claimed her.
Speaker 2: The physical evidence was entirely a dead end too. The suitcases were mass produced, the chinio blanket was completely untraceable. There was no wallet, no jewelry, no keys.
Speaker 1: So they basically had nothing to go.
Speaker 2: On, nothing except the one definitive fact they had, which was her advanced state of pregnancy, right, and near term pregnancy is impossible to hide. She had to have been seen by neighbors, family, or a doctor. Someone out there knew she was expecting a child.
Speaker 1: And this is where the logic of the situation collides with the reality. Because a crime of this magnitude, a pregnant teenager murdered and thrown off a bridge, ordinarily triggers a massive, desperate search.
Speaker 2: You would certainly think so.
Speaker 1: I think of it like an explosion going off in a crowded room, but nobody hearing the blast. Medically, socially, logically, how is there no missing person report, not from family, not from a neighbor who noticed the pregnant girl next door was suddenly gone.
Speaker 2: The silence surrounding her disappearance is arguably the most agonizing aspect of this entire case. But you have to understand that silence wasn't a failure of her community to care. It was actively engineered. The perpetrator controlled the narrative with incredible prescient decision to ensure no one would come looking.
Speaker 1: That is so sinister.
Speaker 2: To understand the mechanics of that silence, we have to shift our focus about one hundred miles east of that frozen river to a modest apartment in Jersey City.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's set the scene for that. It's nineteen seventy six. We are in a working class Puerto Rican immigrant community in Jersey City, New Jersey, and we are introduced to the Colon family.
Speaker 2: Yes, the Colons.
Speaker 1: They are described as incredibly tight knit, two parents, Louis Senior and Aurelia Torres, and they are raising six children, including an older brother named Lewis Junior, a younger sister named Magdalia, and our victim, Evelyn Colan.
Speaker 2: Evelyn was born on April seventeenth, nineteen sixty one. That makes for just fifteen years old in the winter of nineteen seventy six. Just a kid, Just a kid. This was a household where care was expressed through constant presence, shared meals, and very close monitoring. But that dynamic really shifted when Evelyn became involved with a young man who used to live right next door to them.
Speaker 1: Okay, who was this guy?
Speaker 2: His name was Louis Sierra, though he went by the nickname Weso. He was nineteen, so four.
Speaker 1: Years older than Evelyn, and Evelyn quickly becomes pregnant. Now, a fifteen year old getting pregnant by a nineteen year old is obviously going to cause some serious friction in any family. But the family actually accepted it.
Speaker 2: They did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think this speaks volumes about the socioeconomic and cultural context of the time, because in tight knit immigrant communities in the nineteen seventies, family matters were kept intensely private, very private. He didn't broadcast your struggles, You manage them internally within the family unit. So Evelyn and Sierra end up moving into their own apartment in another part of Jersey City.
Speaker 2: But Aurelia, Evelyn's mother, she remained a constant presence in her life. She visited frequently, bringing food, just checking on her daughter's health as the pregnancy.
Speaker 1: Progressed, like any good mother would exactly, but.
Speaker 2: The environment inside that apartment was far from healthy. Evelyn's younger sister, Magdalia later detailed that Sierra was incredibly controlling and deeply jealous. Oh boy, his behavior escalated to the point where he would physically lie Evelyn inside the apartment. He completely controlled her access to the outside world.
Speaker 1: Those isolation tactics are a massive red flag. But the thing is, Evelyn wasn't blind to the danger she was in. She explicitly told her mother that she was afraid of Sierra.
Speaker 2: She did.
Speaker 1: She even went as far as to say that if anything ever happened to her, he was likely involved.
Speaker 2: In the context of domestic violence, a victim vocalizing that specific fear to a family member is a critical warning sign. Absolutely, it demonstrates that the abuser's control has escalated to a point where the victim precedes a genuine lethal threat. But we really have to remember the era we're talking about here. In nineteen seventy six, the framework for dealing with domestic violence was rudimentary at best.
Speaker 1: It was barely even talked about exactly.
Speaker 2: Shelters were rare. Police often treated domestic disputes as private family matters, and for non English speaking immigrant families, there was an added layer of hesitation when it came to involving authorities.
Speaker 1: Which brings us to the specific incident that sets the entire cover up in motion. It's mid December nineteen seventy six. Evelyn is heavily pregnant, just weeks away from her due date, very close. She called her mom, says she isn't feeling well and asks her to bring over some soup.
Speaker 2: It's such a mundane, everyday request that it really grounds the horror of what happens next. Yeah, Aurelia prepares the soup. She travels across Jersey City to the apartment and she knocks on the door. She gets no answer, just silence. Right, she knocks again. Nothing. When she finally manages to push the door open, she finds the apartment entirely empty. The furniture is gone, and the neighbors tell her that the couple moved out.
Speaker 1: Just picture that. I want you to really think about that moment you show up with a hot meal for your sick, pregnant teenage daughter and her entire life has simply vanished.
Speaker 2: It's unthinkable.
Speaker 1: The immediate reaction is going to be panic. But then a few weeks later, in January nineteen seventy seven, a letter arrives in the Callin family mailbox. Right, It's written in Spanish and the postmark indicates it was mailed from Stanford, Connecticut.
Speaker 2: The contents of that letter were a master stroke of psychological manipulation.
Speaker 1: It really was.
Speaker 2: It stated that Evelyn had given birth to a healthy, nine pound baby boy named l Sierra Junior. It assured the family that they had moved to Connecticut, that everything was going well, and requested that the family not worry.
Speaker 1: So it's just telling them to back off, basically.
Speaker 2: Exactly Crucially, it ended by saying Evelyn would reach out if they needed anything, effectively establishing a boundary that cut off further contact entirely.
Speaker 1: I viewed this letter as basically a nineteen seventies analog firewall.
Speaker 2: That's a great way to put.
Speaker 1: It, because in today's world, if someone disappears and sends a text saying you know, I'm moved. Don't look for me. We don't just take their word for it. No, of course, we look at their digital footprint. We track their phones location data, We monitor their bank accounts for activity. We check if their social media shows a new location.
Speaker 2: Right, there's so many to track someone.
Speaker 1: Now we have dozens of ways to verify proof of life. But in nineteen seventy seven, a handwritten letter with an out of state postmark was treated as an absolute truth.
Speaker 2: It was an impenetrable barrier. Without the Internet or cellular data or instantaneous communication networks, society just operated on the assumption that a letter was a definitive statement of intent. If an adult or an emancipated miner living with a partner as she was viewed, sent a letter claiming they relocated voluntarily, that was the end of the inquiry.
Speaker 1: And the tragedy here really compounds when you look at the father's actions, because Lewis Colen Senior didn't just accept the silence indefinitely.
Speaker 2: He tried, He really tried.
Speaker 1: He did. When no follow up letter arrived, when the promise of seeing his grandson, Lewis Junior just evaporated. He went to the local police. He tried to report his daughter missing.
Speaker 2: And this is where he gets so frustrating.
Speaker 1: It does because the police weaponized that fake LFE against the family. They looked at the father and basically said, look, she has her own family now. She stated in writing that she left voluntarily. There is no crime here, and they dismissed the family's concerns outright.
Speaker 2: That dismissal illustrates precisely how the perpetrator engineered the silence.
Speaker 1: He knew exactly what he was doing.
Speaker 2: He anticipated the systemic apathy. He knew that a letter establishing a voluntary departure would passify the family just enough to delay their panic and simultaneously provide the police with a perfect bureaucratic excuse to avoid launching a missing person's investigation.
Speaker 1: So, while the Colon family is sitting in New Jersey desperately waiting for a second letter that will literally never come, Evelyn's body has already been found in Pennsylvania. Right because her family was convinced she was alive in Connecticut. They never saw the facial sketches circulating in Pennsylvania. She reigns nameless and the trail goes entirely cold.
Speaker 2: For decades, the investigation into Beth Doe completely stalled. The Pennsylvania State Police kept the file open, sure, but without an identity, they were essentially hunting a ghost.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what could they do?
Speaker 2: Nothing? They were forced to wait for forensic science to evolve, hoping a new technology would eventually unlock the case.
Speaker 1: Fast forward seven years from the discovery, it's nineteen eighty three. The authorities in Carbon County finally recognize that no one is coming to claim her, so sad it is, they make the groom decision to bury her in an unmarked grave at a local cemetery. There is no family present, just a headstone bearing the name Beth Doo and the year she was found.
Speaker 2: The contrast is devastating if you think about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how so?
Speaker 2: Well, you have a fifteen year old girl who grew up in a vibrant, bustling Puerto Rican household in Jersey City and she ends up buried under a pseudonym in a rural Pennsylvania town she had likely never even set foot in, surrounded by complete strangers.
Speaker 1: That is just incredibly bleak. And meanwhile, back in New Jersey Evelyn's mother, Aurelia is living in this state of suspended animation right. She would sit by the window of her Jersey City home year after year, just watching the street. Whenever she thought she saw someone in a crowd who looked like Evelyn, she would frantically call her.
Speaker 2: Relatives, just holding out hope.
Speaker 1: Always holding out hope. She lived in this agonizing purgatory until she passed away in two thousand. Her final words, literally holding her son's hand in the hospital, were find Evelyn.
Speaker 2: Aurelia died believing her daughter was out there somewhere, perhaps estranged, but alive. She never knew the horrific truth of the nineteen seventy six murder.
Speaker 1: Thank God for that, honestly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe a small mercy. But while the family endured that psychological torture, the Pennsylvania State Police were actively trying to force a breakthrough on their end. Every time a new scientific method became available, they applied it to the Beth Doe evidence.
Speaker 1: And some of those scientific attempts are fascinating to look back on, even if they ultimately failed. Like in two thousand and seven, nearly thirty years after the discovery, scientists decided to try isotope analysis on Beth Doe's remains.
Speaker 2: Yes, the isotope analysis.
Speaker 1: Now, my understanding of isotope analysis is that it's essentially reading the chemical diary of someone's bones. How does that actually work mechanically?
Speaker 2: That's a really great way to conceptualize it. Let's look at how bones and teeth form. As a child grows, the chemical elements from the food they eat and the water they drink are integrated into their skeletal structure. Okay, different geographical regions have distinct isotopic signatures, basically specific ratios of isotopes like oxiden and stronium in the local soil and groundwater.
Speaker 1: So it's tied to the land exactly.
Speaker 2: Now. Teeth, once they form in childhood, they don't remodel, so they lock in the isotopic signature of where you lived during those early years.
Speaker 1: Oh, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: The bones remodel constantly reflecting where you lived more recently.
Speaker 1: So. By comparing the isotopes in her teeth to the isotopes in her bones, scientists were trying to build a map of her life journey. They is asking the bones, you know, where did she grow up and where did she move later?
Speaker 2: Precisely, and when the laboratory ran the analysis on Beth Doe, the results came back pointing strongly towards Central Europe.
Speaker 1: Central Europe.
Speaker 2: Yes, the data suggested she likely spent her early childhood in a country like Poland or maybe the Czech Republic or Slovakia before migrating to the United States.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, armed with that scientific data, the police pivot entirely. They start digging into immigration records, reaching out to European missing persons databases, and canvassing Eastern European immigrant communities in the US.
Speaker 2: They spent a massive amount of time on this.
Speaker 1: They poured years of manpower into this specific geographic profile. But it was a complete and utter misfire. How did the science get it that wrong?
Speaker 2: Well, the failure wasn't in the chemical analysis itself. The machines read the chemicals correctly. It was a massive blind spot in the interpretation of the data. The scientific baselines used for comparison were rigidly geographical. What they failed to account for was the complex cultural reality of the American diaspora.
Speaker 1: Oh I see, so a Puerto Rican fan living in Jersey City in the nineteen sixties and seventies. Isn't just eating local New Jersey produce exactly.
Speaker 2: They were eating a highly varied diet. They consumed traditional foods imported from Puerto Rico or grown in different soils, combined with local municipal tap water and mass produced American goods. This created a very chaotic, blended isotopic profile in Evelyn's bones, and by sheer coincidence, that unique amalgamation of chemicals happened to closely mimic the standard expected baseline for a person growing up in Central Europe.
Speaker 1: That is wild. It's like using a translation app that tells you a phrase is Italian because the root words are similar when it's actually Spanish.
Speaker 2: That's a perfect analogy.
Speaker 1: The science hand of the detective is a highly detailed, perfectly drawn map to the exact wrong continent.
Speaker 2: It was a devastating setback that costed the investigation precious years, and it really highlights the danger of treating forensic science as infallible without considering human and cultural variables.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and that wasn't the only time they hit a wall at full s be it either. In twenty nineteen, an incredibly compelling lead surfaced. A woman saw the Beth Doe sketch and immediately contacted authorities, identifying the sketch as a former classmate named Madeleine Maggie Cruz.
Speaker 2: And the circumstantial evidence aligning Beth Dough with Madeline Cruz was astonishing.
Speaker 1: It really was.
Speaker 2: Cruz had fled the foster care system in Massachusetts. She was known to be pregnant in the summer of nineteen seventy six. Wow, she had reached out to a friend asking for financial help, and then she vanished completely. The timeline, the pregnancy, the physical resemblance. I mean, it was as close to a perfect match as investigators could hope for without having.
Speaker 1: DNA, and the police were so confident that they actually went public with the lead. The media picked it up, and for a brief moment, it felt like a forty three year old mystery was finally solved.
Speaker 2: It was huge news.
Speaker 1: But just weeks later, investigators located Madeline Cruz. She was alive, and well, you really have.
Speaker 2: To consider this psychological toll on the detectives here. I can't imagine you have seasoned investigators who have carried the weight of this young woman and her unborn child for their entire careers. You try cutting edge isotope chemistry and it points you to the wrong hemisphere. You get a perfect biographical match, and the person turns up alive. Every dead end reinforces this terrifying possibility that the killer had truly committed the perfect crime.
Speaker 1: But the landscape of criminal investigation was fundamentally shifting. While the police were relying on twentieth century methodologies, the solution was quietly being built by ordinary people uploading data to the Internet.
Speaker 2: The breakthrough arrives in twenty twenty. A detective named Brian Noll with the Pennsylvania State Police decides to initiate one final push.
Speaker 1: He wasn't given up.
Speaker 2: He collaborates with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children and a specialized facility called DNA Labs International.
Speaker 1: They ultimately turned to a company called AUTHRM based in Houston, Texas. Now, DNA testing has been around for decades. Why couldn't they just run her DNA through the FBI's code A system back in the nineties or two thousands.
Speaker 2: Well, traditional DNA testing, the kind use for CODIS relies on identifying short tandem repeats or STRs. Okay, it requires relatively large in tax strands of DNA. It's great if you have a fresh blood sample or a cheek swab and you're comparing it to a known offender already in database.
Speaker 1: Which they did have here Exactly.
Speaker 2: Besto's remains have been exposed to the elements buried, exhumed, and sitting in evidence storage for over.
Speaker 1: Forty years, just degrading. The whole time the.
Speaker 2: DNA was heavily degraded, fragmented by bacteria and time. Traditional str testing simply couldn't read the shatter genetic code.
Speaker 1: So off From uses something called next generation sequencing. My understanding is that if traditional DNA testing is like looking for specific whole sentences in a book, next generation sequencing is capable of taking a book that's been run through a wood chipper, scanning every single tiny fragment, and computationally reassembling the entire text.
Speaker 2: That is an excellent analogy. Althoram specializes in exactly this kind of forensic genealogy. They extract whatever minute fragments of DNA are left in the bone, in this case her femur and sequence hundreds of thousands of microscopic genetic markers called SNPs.
Speaker 1: Single nucleotide polymorphisms yes SNPs.
Speaker 2: While computational analysis, they reconstruct a comprehensive genetic profile that older forensic techniques would consider completely impossible to salvage.
Speaker 1: So, by February twenty twenty one, authoram successfully builds this genetic profile. But a profile is useless unless you have something to compare it to, right, since her family was never in a criminal database, they upload this reconstructed DNA to commercial genealogical databases, specifically ged match and Family Tree DNA.
Speaker 2: These are the platforms where millions of everyday people upload their twenty three anity or ancestry DNA results to build family trees or discover their ethnic heritage.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean I've done it.
Speaker 2: Lots of people have, and when authorm Ranbeth Doo's profile through the system, they get a massive hit.
Speaker 1: The system flagged a match of seventeen hundred cent of morgans of shared DNA with a man living in Texas named Lewis Colan Junior. Let's break down that metric for a second. What does seventeen hundred cent of morgans actually tell an investigator?
Speaker 2: Well, a cent of morgan is a unit used to measure genetic linkage. Essentially how much DNA two people share from a common ancestors. Okay, when you see a match of seventeen hundred center morgans, it completely eliminates any ambiguity about distant cousins. That specific range points directly to a very close familial relationship, precisely the amount of shared DNA you would expect between a grandparent and grandchild, a half sibling, or crucially, in this case, an aunt or uncle and their niece or nephew.
Speaker 1: It's a direct, undeniable line into her family. And who is Lewis Colan Junior? He is Evelyn's nephew. Yes, he is the son of her older brother, Lewis Or he hadn't taken these commercial DNA tests because he suspected a murder. He just wanted to map his family tree and perhaps find the aunt who moved to Connecticut in nineteen seventy six and stopped writing.
Speaker 2: This illustrates the paradigm shifting power of forensic genealogy. It completely bypasses the requirement for the victim or the perpetrator to be indexed in a law enforcement database.
Speaker 1: Right, you just need a relative who's curious about their heritage.
Speaker 2: Exactly it leverages the biological curiosity of everyday citizens to bridge gaps that traditional police work simply cannot cross.
Speaker 1: So the police immediately contact Lewis Junior in Texas. He details the entire family history. He tells them about Evelyn, the older boyfriend, Luis Sierra, the sudden disappearance, and the nineteen seventy seven letter from Connecticut, all the missing puzzle pieces, and then the emotional climax of this entire saga unfolds. Lewis Junior sends a link to the Wikipedia page about the Beth Dough case to his sister, Miriam cole velpment.
Speaker 2: Right, and without needing any further scientific confirmation, Miriam looks at the reconstructed composite sketch on that web page and immediately says, that looks like my aunt.
Speaker 1: And that's the moment the tragedy he really crystallizes. For Lewis Junior. He later said, all this time we were looking for Evelyn Colin, not Beth.
Speaker 2: Do it forces a profound psychological realignment for the family.
Speaker 1: It has to.
Speaker 2: For forty four years, two separate, completely isolating tragedies were playing out simultaneously. You had a family endlessly hoping for a missing girl to come home in a police department endlessly searching for the identity of a murdered girl, and.
Speaker 1: They had no idea they were looking for the same person.
Speaker 2: Right next generation sequencing was the bridge that finally allowed those two parallel lines to intersect.
Speaker 1: With Evelyn's identity restored, the investigation accelerates instantly because if you know who she is, the immediate logical step is to ask the family who she was last seen with, and.
Speaker 2: The family definitively points the finger at Louis Sierra. They provide investigators with the crucial context of his history of controlling.
Speaker 1: Behavior right all those red flag.
Speaker 2: They detail the jealousy, the physical isolation, and the fact that he would physically lock Evelyn inside there apart, and.
Speaker 1: There is another piece of the puzzle that finally clicks into place, the nineteen seventy seven letter from Stamford.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 1: Yes, the letter the family reveals to the police that Evelyn's reading and writing skills were actually quite limited. There was absolutely no way she possessed the literacy required to draft that sophisticated, perfectly structured letter in.
Speaker 2: Spanish, which solidifies the investigator's theory. The letter was a forgery, a total fake, a calculated misdirection designed solely to cover up a homicide and manipulate the family into silence. Armed with this information, the Pennsylvania State Police begin the hunt for Louis Sierra.
Speaker 1: Now you might expect a man who committed a brutal murder and dismemberment to be living off the grid.
Speaker 2: Right, you'd think so, hiding out somewhere.
Speaker 1: Hiding under an assumed name, or constantly on the run. But where do they find him? He is sixty three years old, living a completely unremarkable, quiet life as a bus driver in Ozone Park, Queens, New York.
Speaker 2: He was living just a short drive from where he committed the crime in Jersey City.
Speaker 1: It's insane.
Speaker 2: He had no criminal record. For forty five years. He operated as a normal member of society. He went to work, interacted with neighbors, and lived a life entirely devoid of consequence for his actions.
Speaker 1: And not once in those forty five years did he ever file a police report, hire a private investigator, or attempt to locate his heavily pregnant girlfriend or the child he claimed was his in that forged letter.
Speaker 2: Never so.
Speaker 1: On March thirty first, twenty twenty one, Detective Null from Pennsylvania, accompanied by the NYPD, knocks on his door.
Speaker 2: In Queen's Sierra answers the door. He's an older man, now graying hair. The detectives introduced themselves, state they are investigating a historical missing person report and ask him if he knows in Evelyn Colin.
Speaker 1: His immediate reaction is denial. He claims he doesn't know her.
Speaker 2: At all, which is to be expected.
Speaker 1: But then the detectives subtly shift their tactic. They mentioned the year nineteen seventy six, and instantly his story pivots.
Speaker 2: Oh. Memory suddenly comes brushing back right.
Speaker 1: He admits they dated, He admits she was pregnant, but he adamantly insists that the last time he ever saw her was at that apartment in Jersey City before they parted ways.
Speaker 2: Consecutive. Null systematically applies pressure here. He asks the logical follow up, if she disappeared while pregnant with your child, why didn't you ever try to look for her?
Speaker 1: And Sierra has no coherent answer.
Speaker 2: For that, no answer at all. Nall then brings up the specific letter mailed from Connecticut in nineteen seventy seven. Right again, Sierra has no answer. Then, incredibly, after a two hour interview conducted in his own living room, Sierra just admits to writing the nineteen seventy seven letter himself.
Speaker 1: I really want to analyze the psychology of this moment, because it's baffling. You have a man who has successfully gotten away with a horrific double murder for nearly half a century. The police are sitting on his couch. Why on earth would he voluntarily admit to forging the document that served as the primary instrument of his cover up. Why hand them the smoking gun?
Speaker 2: It is crazy, but if you examine the mindset of someone who has compartmentalized a crime for forty five years, his reaction makes a twifted kind of sense. Okay, so his guard was completely down over four decades. The lack of consequences likely convinced him that he had outsmarted the system, that the body would never be identified, and the evidence was long gone.
Speaker 1: Right, he thought he was untouchable.
Speaker 2: When the police suddenly appeared, he attempted to outmaneuver them. He likely thought he could admit to a lesser, somewhat justifiable misdeed, like oh, writing a fake letter. Just to get her family office back while continuing to deny any involvement in the actual murder.
Speaker 1: So he thought he was being clever.
Speaker 2: Exactly, he failed to realize that admitting to the forgery was the lynchpin that destroyed his entire alibi.
Speaker 1: He essentially locked himself into the cover up. Detective Null immediately steps outside, contacts Carbon County, secures an arrest warrant, and Sierra is taken into custody right there in his home, just like that, charged with criminal homicide. They hold a press conference that very same day to announce the breakthrough.
Speaker 2: The emotional fought all out for the family is immense. It's a collision of overwhelming relief that the mystery is finally solved and profound fresh grief as the reality of her brutal murder actually sets in.
Speaker 1: It's a lot process.
Speaker 2: Miriam, Evelyn's niece, speaks publicly about how Evelyn's memory was a constant, haunting presence in their family dynamics. Lewis Junior is rightfully hailed as a hero for his unintentional role in breaking.
Speaker 1: The case, and the family even officially names the unborn baby Emily Grace, granting humanity to a victim who never took a breath.
Speaker 2: That's a really beautiful touch.
Speaker 1: It is at this point in the narrative, you know, it feels like the story has reached its natural conclusion.
Speaker 2: You would hope.
Speaker 1: So the villain is caught, the victims have their names back, and the science prevailed. But the American legal system is rarely a straight line, and in this case it becomes a devastating labyrinth.
Speaker 2: It really does. This is the exact moment the narrative shifts from a triumph of modern forensic science to an agonizing exposure of legal voelnerabilities. So what happens, Well, Sierra is extradited to Pennsylvania and held without bail at the Carbon County Prison in jim Thorpe. He retains a defense attorney named Robert Madden.
Speaker 1: In April twenty twenty one, the preliminary hearing takes place before Judge Joseph Amonco and Madden immediately zeros in on the prosecution's glaring, massive weakness.
Speaker 2: The fatal flaw in the Commonwealth's case against Sierra was the absolute lack of direct physical evidence connecting him to the murder. There is really nothing nothing physical. Yes, they had successfully identified the victim, and yes, they had circumstantial evidence of his controlling behavior and his admission to writing the letter. But forensically, there was nothing, no weapon, no murder weapon was ever recovered. There were no fingerprints on the suitcases, there was no trace of Sierra's DNA on Evelyn's remains, or that shinil blanket.
Speaker 1: The prosecution's entire foundation basically rested on forty four year old memories from family members, the circumstantial reality that he was the last known person to see her alive, and an admission to writing a letter that had physically been destroyed decades ago.
Speaker 2: Madden aggressively challenged the arrest, characterizing it as a huge reach by the prosecution.
Speaker 1: A huge reach.
Speaker 2: He argued that the state had ignored other possibilities, even suggesting they should investigate known serial killers who were active in the Northeast during the nineteen seventies.
Speaker 1: Oh trying to cast reasonable doubt exactly.
Speaker 2: And while Judge Hamanko ruled there was just enough preliminary evidence to push the case toward a trial, the structural integrity of the prosecution's case was undeniably.
Speaker 1: Fragile, and it was about to face a much more serious stress test. In June twenty twenty two, Judge Mattika hears a motion to suppress Sierra's confession regarding the letter.
Speaker 2: This is a critical legal juncture.
Speaker 1: It is Madden argues that during that two hour interview in his Ozone Park living room, Sierra was never read his miranda rights.
Speaker 2: This introduces a highly nuanced debate regarding the Fifth Amendment. The constitutional protection against self incrimination mandates that police read a suspect their miranda rights. You know, the rights to remain silent, the right to an attorney.
Speaker 1: You hear it on every cop show, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: But this requirement is only triggered during a custodial interrogation, and.
Speaker 1: The prosecution leans heavily on that exact definition. They argue that Sierra was not in custody, he voluntarily allowed the detectives into his home wish he did, he wasn't placed in handcuffs, and he was theoretically free to ask them to leave or terminate the interview at any point.
Speaker 2: However, the defense counters by analyzing the actual reality of the situation, Sierra was clearly the primary, if not the exclusive, suspect in a homicide investigation, of course he was. When two homicide detectives show up at your residence, begin interrogating you about a forty four year old murder and methodically corner you into a confession, the psychological environment becomes incredibly coercive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't feel like you can just walk away.
Speaker 2: The legal question becomes, at what precise moment does a voluntary conversation morph into a custodial environment where this suspect reasonably believes they are not free to leave.
Speaker 1: It's a fine line.
Speaker 2: If the judge were to suppress those statements, stripping away his admission of writing the letter, the prosecution's already weak case would completely collapse.
Speaker 1: But while the court is grappling with this heavy constitutional debate over miranda rights, a much larger, completely devastating flaw reveals itself, a flaw that has absolutely nothing to do with the Fifth Amendment and everything to do with geography, jurisdiction jurisdiction.
Speaker 2: As the investigation intensified in preparation for trial, a stark reality emerged. Based on the timeline, the forensic evidence, and the logistics of the crime. It became overwhelmingly clear that Evelyn was murdered inside that Jersey City.
Speaker 1: Apartment in New Jersey.
Speaker 2: That was the site of her isolation, that was where she asked for the soup, and that was the location found suddenly emptied Carbon County, Pennsylvania was nothing more than a disposal site chosen after the fact.
Speaker 1: And this is the time twist that is just so hard to swallow because in the American legal system, the concept of territorial jurisdiction is absolute. It is a state only possesses the authority to prosecute a crime that actually occurred within its sovereign borders.
Speaker 2: This is a fundamental constitutional principle tied to the Sixth Amendments vicinage clause, which dictates that a trial must occur in the state and district where the crime was committed.
Speaker 1: It isn't a minor clerical error.
Speaker 2: No or a procedural loophole. It is the bedrock of state sovereignty. Because the elements of the murder, the strangulation, the fatal violence occurred in New Jersey, Pennsylvania had absolutely no legal authority to prosecute Luisierra for homicide, regardless of the fact that the bodies were discovered within their jurisdiction.
Speaker 1: The result is just catastrophic for the prosecution. In March twenty twenty four, the Pennsylvania prosecutor, Michael Greek is legally forced to dismiss all charges against Louis Sierra.
Speaker 2: All of them.
Speaker 1: Every single charge is dropped. Sierra walks out of the courtroom a freeman.
Speaker 2: The jurisdiction of the case was officially transferred to authorities in New Jersey. However, building a prosecutable case nearly fifty years after the fact in an entirely different jurisdiction is a massive, uphill battle.
Speaker 1: I mean, how do you even start.
Speaker 2: It's tough. As of June twenty twenty six, our records indicate that New Jersey has still not formally charged the sixty seven year old Sierra with the murder.
Speaker 1: It is incredibly difficult to process how a literal line on a map just the border between two states can completely dismantle forty four years of tireless investigative work and a literal miracle of genetic science.
Speaker 2: Maddening.
Speaker 1: Think about the emotional whiplash for Lewis Collen Sr. He sat in a courtroom. He stared at the face of the man accused of slaughtering his teenage sister and his unborn niece. He prepared to testify, only.
Speaker 2: To watch the legal apparatus let that man walk free based on a jurisdictional mandate exact. It exposes a profound vulnerability in how the American justice system handles crimes that cross state lines.
Speaker 1: It really does.
Speaker 2: This is particularly problematic in historical cold cases. We're definitively proving the exact timeline and geographical location of the fatal act becomes exceedingly difficult half a century later. The law requires a precision that the passage of time often just erases.
Speaker 1: While the legal system may have stalled in a jurisdictional quagmire and Sierra may be sitting in Queen's right now, the legacy of Evelyn Colan's case extends far beyond the walls of that courtroom.
Speaker 2: It really does.
Speaker 1: This deep dive forces us to confront some very tangible takeaways, concepts that directly influence how we navigate the world today.
Speaker 2: The narrative of Evelyn's disappearance highlights four critical areas of awareness. The first revolves around the fragility of communication and the danger of assumptions. If a loved one suddenly cuts off all contact, especially through an unverified medium like a letter or a text message, we cannot accept it as absolute proof of life or intent.
Speaker 1: If the Colan family or the police hadn't accepted that Stanford letter as gospel back in nineteen seven, if a missing person report had been forced through the system, Evelyn might have been identified decades.
Speaker 2: Earlier, which changes everything.
Speaker 1: Today, you don't need evidence of foul play to report a missing person. Organizations like the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children are literally designed to bypass local apathy.
Speaker 2: The second area of impact is the democratizing power of genetic genealogy. For decades, solving crimes was entirely the domain of law enforcement. Now, everyday citizens hold the keys to unlocking these mysteries.
Speaker 1: Which is amazing to think about.
Speaker 2: By choosing to upload your commercial DNA results to open source platforms like ged match or family Tree DNA, you become part of this massive collaborative biological network. Lewis Colan Junior didn't have a badge, he didn't have specialized training, just a guy with a computer. He simply had a desire to understand his family history, and that single mundane action broke a forty four year old murder.
Speaker 1: Case, which leads directly into the third crucial lesson here, recognizing an act immediately on the signs of domestic violence and isolation.
Speaker 2: This is so important.
Speaker 1: Evelyn clearly communicated her fear to her mother she was being locked in an apartment. Today, the infrastructure to combat this is vastly superior to what existed in nineteen seventy six.
Speaker 2: Much better. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The recognition of isolation as a precursor to lethal violence is exactly why resources like the National Domestic Violence Hotline exist and operate twenty four to seven.
Speaker 2: Finally, the case addresses the glaring systemic blind spots that have historically marginalized specific communities.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, minority and immigrant populations, particularly in the nineteen seventies, often fell through the cracks of the justice system due to language barriers, cultural misunderstandings, and just systemic apathy.
Speaker 1: It's a sad reality today.
Speaker 2: Specialized organizations like Natasha's Justice Project or the DNA Dough Project exist specifically to correct these historical imbalances. They focus their resources on returning identities to the nameless victims found in marginalized communities.
Speaker 1: And the technological leap made in Evelyn case cannot be overstated. What authorm achieved with her degraded DNA totally revolutionized how cold case units approach unidentified remains.
Speaker 2: It's set a new standard.
Speaker 1: The methodology they utilized to give Beth Doe her name back is now the gold standard in forensic science, actively returning names to nameless victims across the entire country.
Speaker 2: As for Evelyn herself, her family is finally able to provide the dignity that was stripped from her in nineteen seventy six.
Speaker 1: That's the most important part.
Speaker 2: Her niece, Miriam Colan Velman launched a campaign, the Official BESTO Evelyn Colan Memorial Fund, with the goal of exhooming Evelyn's remains from that lonely, unmarked grave in Pennsylvania and bringing her home.
Speaker 1: That's beautiful.
Speaker 2: They want to lay her to rest in a place where her family can visit, beneath a headstone that proudly bears her real name.
Speaker 1: Which brings us full circle back to the beginning of this incredibly dark journey. We started with a young boy on the Frasen banks of the Lehigh River staring at broken suitcases, initiating forty four years of profound silence.
Speaker 2: The entirety of this case forces a profound reconsideration of what justice actually means in the real world it does. As a society, we are deeply conditioned to believe that justice is a highly structured, cinematic event. We expect it to look like a judge's gavel coming down, a jury delivering a guilty verdict, and the perpetrator being locked in a prison cell.
Speaker 1: We want that need ending.
Speaker 2: And objectively in a functional system. That is exactly what should have occurred here.
Speaker 1: But maybe you know, when a case is buried under a false identity for almost half a century, and when the legal system trips over its own jurisdictional borders, justice is forced to take a different shape.
Speaker 2: Maybe true justice in this Pacific instance was simply the moment Luis Sierra had his forty five year secret violently ripped out of the shadows, right in.
Speaker 1: His own living room, just confronting the truth.
Speaker 2: Maybe justice is a family finally possessing the truth and being able to carve the name Evelyn Colin into Stone, erasing the phantom of Bethdo from existence forever.
Speaker 1: It leaves you with a deeply haunting proposition to consider long after this deep dive ends. We rely on systems to tell us the truth, to keep us safe, and to find the lost. But if someone you loved vanished tomorrow and the system explicitly told you they were fine, you know, if decades passed, the silence stretched on, and the trail went completely cold, how long would you keep the porch late on.