Speaker 1: Welcome to You Should Know Better with Mike C. Yelson, the guy who won't shut up about winning three times on Jeopardy.
Speaker 2: Welcome to you Should Know Better, the trivia podcast that tests your knowledge and a little bit of your patience. Our goal here is to celebrate the theme of continuing education. We should always be learning and always be on the prowl to know better. Now we will meet our sensational guests and hear all about what fabulous causes they are playing for, and shortly crown one of them the smartest person in the world for one week. But as for right now, let's jump right into some questions and answers with our first of four rounds today. It is our General Knowledge Round Round one, General Knowledge Thinking, caps on fellers at the ready, and away we go. There are eight questions in the General Knowledge Round. Here is question number one. What novel by pearl s Buck dramatizes family life in an early twentieth century Chinese village, Probably the most famous work from pearl Buck. Pearl S Buck, it's a three world, three word title. Do you remember that novel? I think it came out in the nineteen thirties. It's a classic in literature again. I'll repeat it one more time for question number one. What novel by pearl S Buck dramatizes family life in an early twentieth century Chinese village. Give you the clue. It's a three word title. How do we feel? After one question? I am already seeing gritted teeth?
Speaker 3: But cool, I know this thing and yet don't have this thing?
Speaker 4: He is I know.
Speaker 3: I'm like, we've built our career on a certain respect for being remarked, which is odd.
Speaker 4: But here was this book written? Did you say?
Speaker 2: I think it's nineteen thirty one ish.
Speaker 3: Like a great movie, like a weird movie now, but a movie that was considered a great movie that now was a questionable representation.
Speaker 2: Yes, you've heard this title. It's gonna come to you. I think it's going to pop into your head. Pearl As.
Speaker 4: Even if you can't think of something, you just have put anything down. You have to have some kind of answer.
Speaker 2: That's maybe the hardest question in this round. So not to worry.
Speaker 3: I love the hardness of it. I'm present for my own failure, all right.
Speaker 2: Question number two, moving right along, what funk band had the hits fire and Love rolla costa Child, Love roller coaster and fire? What funk band had those two hits? Fantastic band? For number two, just name the band I have that right, Yeah, feeling better? They're not all pearl last buck questions? Thank god?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 2: Question number three, it's an interesting question. Who was the first woman and gymnasts to show up on the front of a Wheaty's box? What woman and gymnast was the first to appear on the Wheaty's box? For question number three? Last name will Suffice?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 2: Question number four, we're kind of going all around the world for this one. We're talking about flags. Flags. The flags of Egypt, Iraq, Trinidad and Tobago, Syria and Yemen all share these three main colors. They all have the same color scheme with their stripes and whatnot. Again, Egypt, Iraq, Trinidad and Tobago, Syria and Yemen all of their national flags share kind of the three main colors. They might have another smallish color or something in there, but three main ones. Can you name those three colors?
Speaker 3: Are they the only countries to support those colors?
Speaker 2: I think all the main countries. When I was looking up at this poster that had all of them listed there was like maybe one or two kind of real smallish island nations that maybe did. I was like, I don't think that's gonna help Anyboddy.
Speaker 4: I just went with a very gut reaction, Yes, me too.
Speaker 2: All right, Number five is right up your alley. Here we go. We're back on the trolley with number five. Name the acting pair that lit up the silver screen in both Captain Blood and the Adventures of Robin Hood. Who were the main and woman They showed up in both Captain Blood and the Adventures of Robin Hood. Can you remember those actors' names? One man, one woman? Oh?
Speaker 4: Yes, is that man's? His name? Is the swash buckling dude?
Speaker 2: All right? Six six is kind of a weird question. Let's see how much we are our minds work? Or this is a nineties question? What food additive was approved by the FDA back in ninety six and used in the Wow brand of chips by freedol A, but was discontinued as lots of folks complained about abdominal cramping and loose stools. Do you remember what the hell that stuff was called? If they put on their chips back in nineteen ninety six, it was a It was a smash hit until people ate the stuff. Right.
Speaker 5: That's a slash yeah, splashdown, Yeah, a splash hit that deserves a sploosh.
Speaker 2: All right, your penultimate question in the General Knowledge round here we are question number seven of eight. What Filipino politician was famous for stealing money from the citizenry to live a lavish lifestyle, including a supposed collection of over three thousand pairs of shoes. Yes, the big thing is that she had all the shoes in the Philippines pretty much? Do you remember her name? For question number seven?
Speaker 4: I could have remembered it if you and asked me.
Speaker 2: That's your kryptonite. I know everything unless you ask me. All right, Question number eight, eight of eight. This is the last question in the General Knowledge round? Where in your body? Could you suffer an orbital fracture? An orbital fracture? Where is that on your person? If you suffer an orbital fracture? Pencil down. We will go over your answers in just a few quick moments, but it's time to me. Are terrific guests all the way from Monmouth Beach, New Joysey. He's written a bunch of stuff with his partner who's here with him on the show. But they've written a ton of stuff. Scream the TV series. It is Halloween season, Make It or Break It, Celebrity Deathmatch Siren. My friend Michael Gans is here.
Speaker 3: Hello, Hello folks.
Speaker 2: You can follow mister Gans on social media at Michael Gans on Instagram and Facebook. Mister Gans, what charity are you playing for today?
Speaker 3: I am for the Cameron Boys Foundation, which Cameron was a guest was a guest star, was a co star on Kevin's My Husband. I'm married to Kevin Jayleman, who is a Broadway star and television star and TikTok sensation at a movie star anyway. He has like eleven million parts on Tickok. But he started a the show he didn't start, but he did a series called Jesse and one of his co stars was the brilliant actor Cameron Boyce, who had epilepsy. But it only just discovered he had epilepsy when he was eighteen years old and then passed away from sudden eplepsy attack in the night. And it's just a thing that people don't have enough awareness of. But his family has created a foundation called the Camon Boys Foundation, and it's to raise awareness and feed research so that people can know about because no one knows that that's a very possible thing to happen, and it just happens in the middle of a sudden and very shocking things. But it has raised tons of money. It's a fantastic charity and it's so significant that people don't know that you can pass in then you can never even know you had eplepsy and have an episode in the night.
Speaker 2: That is unbelievable. Or happy to make a donation in your name to the Cameron Voice Foundation, Win or Lose. Now you're writing partner, it's it's Gans and Register. So this dude from Virginia Beach where we have a bunch of beach bunnies on the show. We have mon Myth Beach and we have Virginia Beach, Virginia again celebrity deathmatch. Fantastic you guys, that was that one of the early things you guys both wrote on.
Speaker 4: Yes, it was our second TV show.
Speaker 1: The first one was one that we wrote we created for MTV animation that ran for one season called Spy Groove.
Speaker 3: Which you can still see, but because was MTV, they don't like re release on platforms very often. You can see it on YouTube. Yes, in multiple languages, in many, many languageses and we performed sixty nine of the voices.
Speaker 1: Holy But after one season, MTV announced that they are dismantling their animation department.
Speaker 2: Sweet thanks.
Speaker 3: I stumbled into it during Beavis and Button And then there were like two hundred and fifty employees creating animated shows that cost millions of dollars. And they were lights in the house and you know reality, and you don't need to spend all the money.
Speaker 1: At off way more expensive than a bunch of twenty year olds in the house.
Speaker 3: But we were not named for Annie Award. Yeah together, and did a lot of crazy voices like the very supervillain. There is a supervillain and not a not to play women, not only not not play pretty young women. There's one thing, Let's.
Speaker 2: Do again, wrote for Celebrity Deathmatch Siren, Make It or Break It and Scream, the TV series. My friend Richard Register is here today.
Speaker 4: Hello hello everyone, Hello, hello hello.
Speaker 2: You can follow Richard on Facebook at Richard Register and Richard, what charity are you playing for today?
Speaker 1: I'm playing for an organization called Vote Forward, which is a kind of a grassroots organization because it has. I've been doing this all all this election season. It has volunteers from all over the country that write letters to voters, and they have campaigns in almost every state. And it's a non partisan organization and it just sends out letters to people who are registered and that probably have not voted recently. But they do a lot of research on the best places to go to to pinpoint you know, places that will really get out the vote. It's all about getting out the vote. And it sends the information of where to vote, where you registered to vote, where your polling place is. It just gives you all the basic information so you can just go vote. And I find that they're extremely organized and they always can use more money because they have a staff of a not a huge staff, but they do a lot, a lot of work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me and a bunch of friends have been writing letters for them all election season as well, so I, oh, yeah, it's a bunch in the mail not too long ago. I know there's other groups that do postcards and whatnot, but Vote Forward they even doing I maybe like a like a decade plus or something, but like I feel like now they're just a well oiled machine and.
Speaker 1: They really really are I first, you know, started doing them in the twenty twenty election, and they're very well oil the machine. They seem very respectable, and they're just very you know, it's amazing. They do millions and millions and millions of letters, and I feel like it's it's you know, instead of like making calls or knocking on doors. I feel like this like handwritten letter. You know, it's a handwritten envelope. And then there's a section in this in the letter where you say why.
Speaker 4: I like to vote.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a personal thing coming to the people, and I feel like it probably has as many the percentages of people that you know are engaged as all the other ones, but you don't have to deal with a lot of people hanging up with you or shutting a door in your face.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is a nice thing yet to write just something personal that why you think voting is important to you. People came for you and fought for the vote or whatever. I remember writing stuff of like my grandmother lived to be one hundred and three and she was still voting up until the last you know, you know, days for her life. For if she can do it at one o three, I'm not sitting this one out. Yes, but yeah, happy to make a donation in your name to that wonderful charity, Vote Forward. We got the Cameron Boyce Foundation. You know, our two incredible writers that are here, Richard and Michael. It's time to get back to the game. Answers for a very interesting a round one General knowledge around. There were eight questions in the round. Question number one was what novel by pearl S book dramatizes family life in an early twentieth century Chinese village. Michael, did it come to you?
Speaker 3: I know I'm incorrect, but I did. I think it's like called The Good Earth.
Speaker 2: The Good Earth. That is a great guess. Richard, what did you put?
Speaker 4: Yes? I wrote that beautiful novel called The Red Situation, The Red Situation.
Speaker 2: That is a page turner if I've ever read one.
Speaker 3: Calling society on all of its ills.
Speaker 2: The correct answer for question number one is pearl As Bucks The Good Earth, The Good.
Speaker 3: I knew it came to me.
Speaker 2: It was in there. It was in there like we all have those little tidbits, and that's going to happen to both of you throughout this game, right, the Good Earth? For number one? Question number two, what funk band had the hits Fire and Love roller Coaster. Richard war War great guest, Michael, what did you put?
Speaker 3: I didn't get right, but I said Parliament.
Speaker 2: Parliament funk Adelic the correct answer. You guys were all around it great band from the nineteen seventies. The band was the Ohio Players, the art.
Speaker 3: And we actually had roller Coaster in our one of our first series, and we had these big musical moments in a show that we created for UPN Believe it or not called Sex Seven Secrets, and we had these moments where it would eve normal life and go into a few the music, and that was one of the songs. Love roll Coaster was the first episode, I think.
Speaker 2: Right, Holy smokes. Question number three, who was the first woman and gymnast to show up on the front of a wheaties box? Michael?
Speaker 3: I originally put Marrily Retten, but crossed her out just to show my work, and then I said, uh, Nadia Komanci.
Speaker 2: Nadia Komenech. Richard, what did you put?
Speaker 1: I was trying to think of the first woman he put down?
Speaker 4: The first said, Oh, it's what's her face? It's what's her face?
Speaker 1: And I said, no, it's not it's nat a cob of each and I wrote down naughty cobin ech oh brother.
Speaker 2: The correct answer that little that little haircut was Mary Lou Olympics.
Speaker 3: I would have been reading because it was too early for Nadia to do it right, because they didn't. They wouldn't have put her She's it was. It was achievement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think like in the seventies there was like Bruce Jenner was on there. I remember jenn from the Olympics, and they maybe had an Olympics, but they were still like, you know, sexist. Even back then it was still just like, well, we don't put women on anything but eighty four. Yeah, all right, it is merely retten for number three, number four. The flags of Egypt, Iraq, Trinidad and Tobago, Syria, and Yemen all share these three main colors. Richard, what did you put?
Speaker 4: I put yellow, green and.
Speaker 2: Black, yellow, green and black. Great guess, Michael, what did you put?
Speaker 3: Yellow?
Speaker 2: Green and red, yellow, green and red? The correct answer is red, white and black, red, whoe and black. They're all kind of very interesting. There's not a ton of them. These are the ones that are mostly red, white and black stripes. Per sEH all of those flags. Now we all know. Now when you see any of these flags, you're gonna be like, oh my god, damn it. Mike told us about that red, white, and black. That is a tough question, all right, Question number five, we're going to the movies. Name the acting pair that let up the silver screen in both Captain Blood and the Adventures of Robin Hood were going in the wayback machine for the movie question, Michael, what did you put for number five?
Speaker 3: Olivia de Haln and Errol.
Speaker 2: Flynn Havelin and Errol Flynn Richard, what did you come up with? See?
Speaker 4: I cannot lie. I could not think of Errol Flynny, and I knew it was. I was, oh, so what's his face?
Speaker 1: I can see if I can see, I can see. But I couldn't think Errol Flynn. And so I just put the next actor that came to my hand, which is so absolutely ridiculous. I wrote Linard me Moy.
Speaker 4: And Olivia to Havelin.
Speaker 2: That answer deserves a huzza. Oh my god, I'm giving you both the point for that. Oh my, Leonard Nemoy is terrific thinking of him and in green tights jumping around her. Captain blood when he puts the knife in the mask of that ship and comes down the big.
Speaker 4: Slat dumping up branch.
Speaker 3: Leonardoy, So it is.
Speaker 2: It is Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havlin. But if you put Leonard Neimoy in Olivia you did have it, give yourself a point.
Speaker 3: Definite historic movie.
Speaker 2: If you put those it that is tremendous.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Question number six, what food added? It was approved by the FDA back in nineteen ninety six and used in Wold brand chips by Freedo La, but was discontinued as lots of folks complained about abdominal cramping and loose stools. Richard red Dye number six, Hello red Dye number six, Michael, what did you put Olestra Ostra? Yeah? And I think it had a brand name too, called like o Lean, Olean or Olestra. Give yourselves a point for that gross food additive that Procter and Gamble Gamble. I think they just like mistakenly discovered it in doing some of their other testing. They're like zero calories.
Speaker 4: I remember what it was called Olean Olean.
Speaker 2: So yes, if you put Olestra or Olean, hopefully you didn't eat any of it. But if you wrote it down.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Question number seven, what Filipino politician was famous for stealing money from the citizenry to live a lavish lifestyle, including a supposed collection of over three thousand pairs of shoes.
Speaker 3: Michael and Melda Marcos.
Speaker 2: Amelda Marcos? Richard, what did you put?
Speaker 4: I also wrote, Amelda Marcos?
Speaker 2: It is in fact, Imelda Marcos.
Speaker 4: Seven.
Speaker 2: Question number eight, where in your body could you suffer an orbital fracture? Richard?
Speaker 1: Oh, this is very clinical answer that I wrote on the face of my moon.
Speaker 2: Michael, what did you put?
Speaker 3: I put eye socket?
Speaker 2: I socket. Yeah, it's any of the bones surrounding your eye socket in a facial fracture. Orbital bones. Yeah, right around your eye socket. So Michael gets it. Face is close. I could give you like a half point for saying face.
Speaker 3: Bottom.
Speaker 2: He was talking about your bottom bottom. All right, we are telling up the score and after a very fun general knowledge round, we have Richard Register with two big points and Michael Dans in the lead with five. It's five to two after one.
Speaker 4: Will, but I'm not gonnag dang.
Speaker 2: All right. It is five to two after one as we head into round two, which is our pop Culture grab Bag.
Speaker 1: Round two pop Culture grab Bag Today.
Speaker 2: In the grab bag, you fellas love the theater, so we're gonna do something interesting. We're gonna do kind of a half and half round. These are gonna be questions about Shakespeare as well as Broadway musicals. So we're gonna do all questions about the theater. But there's about half of them there about Shakespeare plays and the other about Broadway musicals. There are eight questions in the round. Here is question number one. Now you're gonna have to give me some leeway because this is the most insane word I've probably had to pronounce on the show. Honorific gobilitudin tatabis is the longest word mentioned in any of Shakespeare's plays. Is spoken in this comedy featuring Ferdinand, the King of Navarre and the Princess of France. Name Matt Shaker, spear play for question number one. Again, that word whoof this is a tough one. Honorrific abilitudina tepaitibus or something along those lines is the longest word mentioned in any of Shakespeare's plays. It's spoken in this comedy featuring Ferdinand, the King of Navarre, and the Princess of France. I think she becomes the Queen of France in this play. Name it for number one.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to give anything away, but this answers in my back bok.
Speaker 2: Hello, all right. Question number two goes like this, What musical that opened in nineteen ninety seven is the highest grossing Broadway musical of all time? Raking in over one point five billion dollars? Thus far again for question number two, what musical that opened in ninety seven is the highest grossing Broadway musical of all time, raking in over one point five billion dollars? Up to now? All right, question number three, I think you guys had this one too. We're going back to Shakespeare. Can you name two of the three Shakespeare plays that features Sir John Fallstaff? Yes, Sir John Paul Staff. He appears in three Shakespeare plays. Can you name two of the three for question number three? All right? Question number four, back to musicals. What musical contains the song all about this city that I grew up very close to? Gary, Indiana?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Name that musical for number four? What musical contains the song all about Gary, Indiana?
Speaker 4: I can tell you a few things about Gary.
Speaker 2: I just watched the clip today. Oh, it was like, holy god, I did see that as a kid, and I was like, so weird it out and blown away where I'm like, what the hell? Why are they singing about the place that.
Speaker 1: Indiana not Louisy Fenne Paris brands New Yorker Rome by carry Indiana Gary my home.
Speaker 2: See, all right, I think I think you guys got that one. I'm gonna venture, I guess, all right. For question number five, we're going back to the bar. For question number five, what character from As You Like It has the most lines of any female character in a Shakespeare play. This female character in this Shakespeare play has the most lines. She's from As you Like It? Name her? For question number five, all right, smoking through the pop culture grab back today, we're talking about Shakespeare and musicals. Question number six goes like this, who wrote the song There's no business like show business? And what musical is it from? It's kind of a two parter. Who wrote the song There's no business like show business? And from? What musical is that from? For question number six? All right, question number seven, I think you guys have this one. By the pricking of my thumb, something wicked this way comes is a line from what Shakespeare tragedy for number seven? Your penultimate question in the grab bag again by the pricking of my thumbs. Something wicked this way comes is a line from what Shakespeare tragedy for number seven?
Speaker 1: Yes, a tragedy, tragedy, tragedy, tragedy, give it away?
Speaker 3: We can't give away, just can't stay with you know, or not to ruin the show we.
Speaker 2: Have to do with you For the people at home, guess yeah, Finally we're finishing strong. I think we're gonna have really great scores after this round. Question number eight of eight in the pop Culture grab Bag, Rob, who is a puppet in the hilarious musical Avenue Q, angrily denies that he is gay by singing the song might girlfriend who lives in blank? Fill in the blank from Avenue Q. Rob, who is a puppet in the hilarious musical Avenue Q, angrily denies that he is gay by singing the song my girlfriend who lives in blank? Where does his fake girlfriend live? Rob the puppet from Avenue Q pencils down. Let's go over your answers for the pop Culture grab Bag round number two. Here we're talking about Shakespeare and Broadway musicals Little Half and Half Action Question number one, honorificabilitudin a tatibus is the longest word mentioned in any of Shakespeare's plays is spoken in this comedy featuring Ferdinand, the King of Navarre and the Princess of France. Richard wasn't too sure. What did you put?
Speaker 1: No, I don't know this, and I know Michael knows it. For some reason, I put this, and I don't think it's.
Speaker 4: Twelfth Night.
Speaker 2: Twelfth Night, great play, one of my favorites. Michael, what did you put?
Speaker 3: Breakin play? But I would hazard to guess that it is incorrect because I had one of the great performances of my entire career in this play, playing the character Boyette who will and in waiting to the Queen to be of France, who's the Princess of France? And the play is Love's Labors Lost?
Speaker 2: And oh yes, I look on he is correct. It is Love's labor is Lost. For number one, where you'll find, yeah, Ferdinand, the King of the varn Princess of France becoming the queen with her three little uh handmaids or whatnot, and.
Speaker 3: Then her very feat possibly gay hand man.
Speaker 2: Who Yeah, that's so great. It is Love's Labors Lost. But that's that's a deep cut. That's not one that gets done a lot, and you don't hear about it a lot. You nailed it. Question number two. What musical that opened in ninety seven and is the highest grossing Broadway musical of all time, raking in over one point five billion dollars? Michael, Wicked? Wicked? Great guest, Richard, what did you put? I also put Wicked, Wicked and Wicked. The correct answer is wa, It's not Wicked. Tis the Lion King? Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: The Lion King is the one that's raked in the most, the most box office money over one and a half billion dollars. Still going all right back to Shakespeare for number three? Can you name two of the three Shakespeare plays that feature Sir John A. Fall Staff? Richard?
Speaker 1: Yes, one I'm pretty sure is The Merrywives of Windsor, And then I put King Henry the Eighth.
Speaker 2: King Henry the Eighth. You have the Merry Wives of Windsor, Henry the Eighth Michael, what did you put it?
Speaker 3: And then I know the other one. I'm not gonna hazard to make the mistake of naming it, but it's the other in the interim of Heavy the Fifth, that's the people are sequel to that.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm going to give you one point a piece because you got one of them. The Merry Wives of Windsor is correct. But the histories, there was two histories that he's a part of, and it's Henry the Fourth parts one and two. Henry the Fourth one and two. You will also find Sir John Falstaff besides that comedy the Mary Wives of Windsor. So I'm going to give you one point a piece because you got that one.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm totally embarrassed.
Speaker 2: It's okay. There's a lot of histories and they all kind of blend together. It's like Richard the Third, Henry the Fifth, and then the rest of them. I think you just like put all in a barrel and be like, I don't remember Richard.
Speaker 4: Is the second?
Speaker 3: Watch them one weekend top the bottom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep. Question number four, back to the musical stuff. What musical contains the song? All about my area the region, Gary, Indiana, Michael Gary.
Speaker 3: Indiana, Gary, Indiana. It is the music man.
Speaker 2: Originally music man, Richard. What did you put?
Speaker 1: It? Is the music man and my first professional theater job in seventh grade. I played the understudy to the very child that sings that song. I ever went on, but I was. I was Winthrop's understudy in the Toddwater to the Theater production of The music Man. We ran for like eight or ten weeks, but I was in seventh grade.
Speaker 2: It's a pretty good run for that. That's pretty good run. It was The music Man with Gary Indiana for number four? Uh, question of a five character from As You Like? It has the most lines of any female character in any of the Shakespeare plays. Can you name her? Richard Rosalind, Rosalind, Michael? What did you put? Rosal Rosalind and Rosalind? It is Rosalind for number five? Were on a roll number six? Who wrote the song? There's no business like show business? And the other part of the uestion is what musical is that song? From? Michael?
Speaker 3: Irving Berlin wrote the song and it is from Annie Get your.
Speaker 2: Gun Irving Berlin and Annie Get your Gun? Richard? What did you put?
Speaker 4: That is correct? I got it totally wrong.
Speaker 2: Oh no, what did you put?
Speaker 4: I thought it was cold? Porter and kissed me? Kight.
Speaker 2: Good guesses?
Speaker 1: Good guesses, because I ran the spotlight for I had to get your Gun that year because I did another production and not the high.
Speaker 4: School play, not the high school musical.
Speaker 2: It's okay, it's okay. You still get to keep your musicals card. But it was for number six, it was Irving Berlin, the Great Irving Berlin, and it is from Annie Get your Gun. I didn't know. That's when I saw that. I was like, that's an interesting question. Irving Berlin and Annie gets your Gun for number six. Question number seven, by the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way come? This is a line from what Shakespeare tragedy? Richard.
Speaker 4: It is the Scottish tragedy Macbeth.
Speaker 2: That is correct, Michael, did you did you?
Speaker 4: I did?
Speaker 2: Yes, the Scottish play or Macbeth. Number seven. And finally, question number eight, Rob, who was a puppet in this hilarious musical avenue Q angrily denies that he is gay by singing the song my girlfriend who lives in blank? Fill in the blank, Michael, what place did you come up with for number eight?
Speaker 3: It's not correct?
Speaker 2: Kentucky, Kentucky, my girlfriend who lives in Kentucky. Great guest, Richard, what did you put oh, Queen's queen. Holy shit, Like I.
Speaker 4: Have a girlfriend live in Queens. I have no idea what that is.
Speaker 2: Great. The correct answer is just an entire country of Canada. My girlfriend who lives in Canada. Oh title of that song from Avenue Q. Yeah, my girlfriend who lives in Canada for number eight, No harm, no foul, all right. At halftime, we have a new scoreboard update. Richard with six points and Michael with eleven. It's eleven to six at half. As we enter our third four rounds, this is where we're gonna get a little weird.
Speaker 4: It is the lightning round.
Speaker 3: Round three, the lightning round.
Speaker 2: Oh God, Richard, you are trailing at this moment. Okays a chance to make some hay in the lightning round today. In the Lightning round, you could choose from three of my favorite Paul Newman movies. You could choose the Hustler, Cool Hand, Luke, or the Sting. Name your poison.
Speaker 4: I'll go with the Sting.
Speaker 2: Fan fantastic. I'm going to say I think this is kismet. I'm going to say the question twice. I'm gonna say go. You're gonna have twenty seconds to give me as many answers as possible. Michael jots some answers down because I'm coming straight to you your five second rebuttal as soon as Richard's twenty seconds are up. So here is your the sting lightning round question. Who were the first nine winners of Rupe Paul's drag race. There's been like twenty seasons, because you name any of the first nine seasons. Who are the first nine winners of Rupe Paul's drag race? Twenty seconds on the clock and go Rajah.
Speaker 4: There was, oh, the very first ruiner.
Speaker 1: Is her name is Cameroon?
Speaker 4: Is not her name, but I can't think of her real name.
Speaker 3: Aage.
Speaker 4: There was.
Speaker 1: Uh oh uh.
Speaker 4: Good handing of any and that this is one of my things that I know.
Speaker 2: Oh, jinx Monsoon there was stop stop, you got two? You got two of them. You go to Raja and you got jinx Monsoon from Rupe Paul's drag race. Michael, your chance to steal some It's a five second bottle, so it's even shorter five seconds. There's still seven on the board, top nine or first nine winners of RuPaul's drag race. Five seconds and go uh.
Speaker 3: Mary lou Retton not Jacomin each Old Corbett.
Speaker 2: Stop stop, ah. There might be some in years to come that will that'll do a play on one of those needles. Yep, that's one. We're gonna go over the ones we didn't get to and you're gonna roll your eyes. But you did get two of them. Not bad. So it was bebe Zahara benet or Is number one. That was the very first winner of all time. Then there was James Ross or Tyra Sanchez. Yes you said, Sharon Needles was fourth, you got three and five. And then there was Bianca del Rio, Violet choch Key, Oh yes, Bob the drag Queen, one of my favorites. Yes, Sasha and Sasha Valure was number nine.
Speaker 4: God, one of those things I could have said if you hadn't asked me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, if I would have given you five minutes, you could have related that's twenty seconds as bullshit. It totally like your brain thinks it's one and then it shuts off or shuts down. But you did get two big points for the sting Michael, your turn in the barrel. You could choose either the hustler or cool hand Luke for your lightning round question.
Speaker 3: Ah, It's hard because i really love Jackie Gleason, but I'm going to choose cool Hand Luke.
Speaker 2: Cool Hand Luke maybe my favorite movie of all time. I love it so much. Here's your cool Hand Luke question. I want to say it twice twenty seconds. Say as many answers as possible. Richard, write some answers down because I'm coming straight to you with your five second rebuttals. See if you could steal some. Once Michael's twenty seconds are up, here is your cool hand Luke Lightning round question. Can you give me what top nine US states earn you the most electoral votes? We have an election coming up, which states give you the most electoral votes? When you win those states? Top nine? Twenty seconds on the clock and.
Speaker 3: Go Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, North Carolina, California, Washington. Is that true? Florida, Texas?
Speaker 2: Stop? You got Texas just under the wire. You did great. You got one, two, three, four, You got six out of the nine you got California, Texas, Florida, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and North Carolina. There's still a few on the board, Richard, your five second rebuttals, see if you could steal some answers here, Top nine US states that earn you the most electoral votes in a presidential election. Five seconds on the clock and go.
Speaker 4: New York Illinois.
Speaker 2: He says, stop, you stole too. You stole both New York and Illinois were fourth and fifth respectively. You guys trounced the cool hand. Luke question the only one we didn't get to. It's going to be a big pivotal state this year. Down South Georgia. Georgia's number eight. Oh, gorge on the list now, of course it's a big great Looking at the new tote board. After three rounds out of four, we have a new score. Richard with ten, he's in double digits ten, Michaels still in the lead with seventeen. It's seventeen to ten.
Speaker 4: After all, mercy a happened.
Speaker 2: We are here with Michael Gans. You could follow him on social media at Michael Gans on Instagram and Facebook. He is playing for the Camera and Boyce Foundation. We're also here with Richard Register. You can follow him just looking up Richard Register on the facebooks and he is playing for the wonderful vote forward. It is seventeen to ten as we enter our fourth and final round between you two. It is the Theodore Double Duty Radcliffe Round Round four.
Speaker 3: The Double Duty.
Speaker 2: We call it the double Duty because points are doubled and there are nine questions instead of eight in this round, so there are eighteen very crucial points up for grabs. So today in the Double Duty, we're talking all about a fun, fun ass decade. We're talking about all things from the nineteen seventies. This is all about the nineteen seventies.
Speaker 4: There are nine anything, we're so young.
Speaker 3: And I don't. I mean, that's their lots, not mine.
Speaker 2: There are nine questions in this round. Here is question number one on the TV sitcom Alice. What were the names of Alice's two original fellow waitresses as well as her boss's name? Question number two, What country overtook West Germany as the second biggest economy in the world during the nineteen seventies? Kind of an interesting question. What country overtook West Germany as the second biggest economy in the world during the nineteen seventies? Think about it.
Speaker 4: Took over what country? West Germany?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's how old this is, as there was still a West in East Germany, but this country overtook it as the second biggest economy in the world during the nineteen seventies. Question number three. I know you guys don't like years, but this is going to be a what's the year question? But narrowed it down because we're talking about a decade in What year do these three things happen? Star Wars is released, the New York City Blackout occurs, and Elvis Presley dies. What year did all three of those things happen? For question number three? Again for question number three, and what year did all three of these things happen? Star Wars Is released, the New York City Blackout occurs, and Elvis Presley passes away. Now we're getting into it. Now it's coming down to these final questions. On the heat is on?
Speaker 4: Here was that song released?
Speaker 2: Question number four?
Speaker 4: Here we go.
Speaker 2: For question number four, this holiday was first celebrated on April twenty twenty second, nineteen seventy, So the first time it was celebrated nationally was on April twenty second, nineteen seventy. Name that holiday that we have every year. But for question number four, this holiday was first celebrated back on April twenty second, nineteen seventy. Name that holiday federal holiday. It is not a federal holiday. Is not an official federal holiday. But we are celebrated every year in April every year. All right, Question number five of nine in the double duty we're talking about the nineteen seventies here, Question five, What duo gave us the late seventies jams? Shake your groove thing and reunited? What duo? Speaking of duos like gans and register or register in gans? What duo gave us the late seventies jams? Think your groove thing and reunited? And it feels so good reunited and it be so glud all right? Question number six is kind of a mouthful. Here we go on June twenty third, nineteen seventy two, what law stated that no person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving federal financial assistance? What's that law or title for number six? On June twenty third, nineteen seventy two, what law it also goes by title something stated that no person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving federal financial assistance in seventy two in nineteen seventy two. Yes, you still hear it bandied about today in regards to athletics, mostly title what question number six?
Speaker 4: This is the final round?
Speaker 2: This is it between you two? Coming down to the last three questions?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, home.
Speaker 2: Stretch yep, I can't number seven. I think you guys have this one. Question seven of nine goes like this. Name the nineteen seventy five documentary featuring the reclusive mother and daughter, upper class women both named Edith Beal?
Speaker 4: Yes, what was that doc?
Speaker 2: Called for? Number seven? Again? Name the nineteen seventy five documentary featuring the reclusive mother and daughter upper class women, both named Edith Beale.
Speaker 4: Right, that's gay cannon. Ah.
Speaker 3: He knows that it has nothing to do with sexual preference, but everything to do with game.
Speaker 2: All right. Eight of nine, here's your penultimate question in the double duty. What seventies fads sold more in the United States? Pet rocks or mood rings? What sold more in the nineteen seventies when they had their big fads? Pet rocks or mood rings? What's sold more? For number eight, it's either or mm hmm. All right, Now question nine kind of like a bookend from question number one. Now we're talking about the actors who played the parents on maybe my favorite sitcom from the era, Good Times. The two parents who the actors the incredible actors that played the parents on Good Times? For number nine. All right, pencils down, let's go over our answers. For our fourth and final round, it was the double Douty Radcliff round today we were talking about all things from the nineteen seventies. There were nine questions in the round seventeen to ten. Going into the round. Question number one on the TV sitcom Alice, what were the names of Alice's two original fellow waitresses as well as her boss's name on the show, Michael, What did you come up with?
Speaker 3: I have a flow? Ah have mel who I had a crush on when I was a kid. Is that strange in a way? I didn't understand love and the throat kind of crap and still to this day, I have a question. And then I do not know her name from the show, but I know that she was played by bet Howland.
Speaker 2: Wow, that is crazy.
Speaker 1: Web Holland was the original. Thank you well, but I'm not gonna married. Don't tell and I'm not gonna be married from.
Speaker 3: Companies sometimes sometimes greatst works.
Speaker 2: Yes, Richard, Richard, what did you put?
Speaker 4: I put Mel kiss my Grits.
Speaker 3: I can't believe it.
Speaker 4: That can methic of Flow and Vella, I think name.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you guys are so close on everything. I'm gonna give you. I'm gonna give you like a couple points apiece because you're you're right all, You're right there. This is not an easy question because the show has not been on for quite some time. You both got Mel mel Sharples played by the great Vic Tayback. Yes, Mel Sharples played by Vic Tayback. Both great names real name and fictional name ran Mel's diner on the show Alice. Then you had Flow or kiss My Grits played by the great Polly Holiday Florence. And then the one that you guys couldn't remember, but you were really close with Velma is verra verra you dingy yes vera two points apiece though for number one, because you guys were we.
Speaker 4: Were right there.
Speaker 2: Question number two? What country overtook West Germany? As the second biggest economy in the world during the nineteen seventies. Richard, what did you come up with?
Speaker 4: I'm toggling between Japan and China.
Speaker 2: What are you gonna go with?
Speaker 4: I look, you're gonna go with Japan. Japan.
Speaker 2: Great guess, Michael, what did you put?
Speaker 3: I put China if I'm honest that I was wondering about Japan.
Speaker 2: Okay, So we have China and Japan. Great guesses. I thought that's where you would be. One of you is correct, one of you is incorrect. The correct answer is.
Speaker 4: Japan.
Speaker 2: It is Japan.
Speaker 3: They were powerhouses in the seventies and eighties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, powerhouses, is right. So Japan overtook West Germany back in the nineteen seventies. Two big points for Richard. He needed that question number three. In what year did these three things happen? Star Wars was released, the New York City Blackout happened, and Presley passed away. Michael, what what year did you come up with?
Speaker 3: Nineteen seventy five?
Speaker 2: Nineteen seventy five? Richard, what did you put?
Speaker 4: I'm gonna say seventy seven.
Speaker 2: Seventy seven. The correct answer all three of those things. Star Wars the blackout and Elvis Presley passed away. Was a big year in music with the dawn of like new wave and punk rock. The same year Elvis died was nineteen seventy seven. Holy shit, we got a ballgame. We got a ballgame. That's two in a row for Richard. Whoo you start getting dicey nineteen seventy seven for number three, question number four. This holiday was first celebrated on April twenty second, nineteen seventy We had a question was this a federal holiday? It is not a federal holiday. But what holiday are we speaking of? Richard? What did you come up with?
Speaker 1: Well, this is wrong because this is a federal holiday. I put Martin Luther King.
Speaker 2: Junior Day MLKA Junior Day. Michael, what did you put?
Speaker 3: I put every day in the whole year, And then I finally came down to Dobbin's Happy Puppy Day.
Speaker 2: That's what it should be, right, that's what it should be. We have this every year. No one really celebrates it, but it does make sense when you think about it. April twenty second, every year we celebrate Earth Day. It is I that April twenty second, that day day. Forget it, you.
Speaker 3: Will not forget. We'll not soon forget the Earth Day.
Speaker 4: Yes, I know, of course that's Earth Day. Good God.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But no harm, no foul, all right. Question number five, little little music question, little R and B. What duo gave us the late seventies slow jams or not slow jams? Shake your groove things is just a jam? And then Reunited was more of a slow jam. Michael, what did you put for number five?
Speaker 3: Ashford and Simpson?
Speaker 2: Guess Ashford and Simpson, Richard, what did you put?
Speaker 4: I also put Ashford and Simpson.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, we're not doing music questions ever again with you. I didn't know this about this duo, but it's Peaches and Herb.
Speaker 4: Course it is.
Speaker 2: Peaches and Herb. And I didn't know this, but there were three different women that played Peaches at one time or another. I thought it was the same person, but it was like, no, they kept the name even though there was different singers. So there was one singer in particular that had those hits with Herb who was the same. But Peaches and Herb gave us those two lovely songs again, no harm, no file for question number five, Question number six, June twenty third, nineteen seventy two. What law or title stated that no person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, or being denied benefits of, or subjected to discrimination, under any educational program or activity receiving federal financial assistance. It's called title what Richard, Title six, Title six going red Dye, and number six Idle six, Big Hero six. Michael, what do you got? Title fifty nine? You hear this a lot when they talk about women's sports and why we excel so much in hockey and soccer and a bunch of other athletics. It's Title nine. Title nine is that title that helped that allowed women to play all sorts of sports in all schooling and that's why. Yeah, women in the United States have been excelling left and right. Are incredible at every sport nowadays, like basketball, like the WNBA incredible season, all thanks to Title nine.
Speaker 1: Well do I get half a point because my numbers just upside down?
Speaker 2: Yeah? You just headed upside down? You?
Speaker 3: Oh wait, I did say Title nine. It is night right there.
Speaker 2: Those of you at home, they are turning their notebook papers upside down.
Speaker 4: I have Title nine, you have nine?
Speaker 2: You have nine? ELEITHI or ok, I have elt it el tit, you have nine el tits. It's all good. I think we still have a very close game as it comes down to these final three questions. Question number seven named nineteen seventy five documentary featuring the reclusive mother and daughter upperclass women, both named Edith Beale, Michael Greg Gardens Ladies and Gentleman Grey Gardens. Richard, what did you put?
Speaker 4: Yeah? That's the game me for a gay grey Gardens.
Speaker 2: It is the wonderful Lil Edie and big Edie grey Gardens is correct?
Speaker 4: For now, I didn't know it was.
Speaker 2: You both nailed it two big points apiece. Question number eight, what's seventies fad sold more in the United States? Pet rocks or mood rings? Richard.
Speaker 1: I went with this answer because I just feel like they were around longer.
Speaker 2: Mood rings, mood rings. Michael, do you agree with me? Or did you go your how would you go?
Speaker 4: You went with.
Speaker 3: Because I feel like I know that factuated somehow in the back.
Speaker 2: Pet Rocks sold over one point five million Oh my god locks were sold in the nineteen seventies. Mood rings sold over twenty five million Oh Wow rings. Wins outs. They still sold a lot of each, but mood rings sold twenty five million mood rings in the nineteen seventies. That's crazy.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: It could all come down to this question number nine. Who played the parents on the sitcom Good Times? I need both of them? Michael, what did you get Don Amos and Esther Roll? John Esther Roll? Richard? What did you.
Speaker 4: Put John Amos and Esther Roll?
Speaker 2: It was Esther Great Ester Role and John Amos that were the parents in that sitcom Good Times. Now time to tabulate our scores. Oh my god, what we have just tabulated our scores. Yes, after four intense rounds between you two writing partners, extraordinary. We have Michael Gans with twenty three points and Richard Register with twenty.
Speaker 4: Two points.
Speaker 2: Oh, Michael Gans, you are the smartest person in the world. Oh one a week by one point.
Speaker 4: That's insane.
Speaker 2: Both impressive scores. That came down to the last couple of questions. It really did you guys did great. But the game is not over. It's now time for the final throat.
Speaker 3: On the final throwdown.
Speaker 2: It's time for me to just bring up a one off question. You two can discuss an answer and then I'll leave you with the correct answer and a few tidbits, so hopefully we learn a little something something before all is through. Here is your final throwdown question that you guys can discuss. Allowed. What land mammal has the longest tail? What land mammal do you think has the longest tail?
Speaker 3: Ah, very very interesting. It's a mammal, so it births.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think, longest tail in the world, and everything is like a blue waves, it's like a huge tail. But land mammal, what land man has the longest tail?
Speaker 3: Longest? So it's a land mammal. So it's it has to give birth, you know, through the giant it's got to give birth that way. And it's got to also feed and milk. It's it's young, I mean it. You know they breastfeed, you know, young, longest.
Speaker 4: Tail, longest tail, like maybe a giraffe. I don't even know if they have tails. That's a goodness.
Speaker 3: I was thinking about a giraffe, but not an elephant necessary all right?
Speaker 4: Could it be one of like a monkey, an ape or they don't.
Speaker 3: Have any tails, their tails, they don't have tails monkeys and.
Speaker 4: Some of those monkeys really hang by their tails.
Speaker 3: And now they hang by their arms. They don't have Oh, well they do. Do monkeys do sometimes have tails?
Speaker 4: Or do they? Yes?
Speaker 3: Little spider monkeys have tails totally.
Speaker 4: But probably have the longest tails.
Speaker 2: Fuge monkey.
Speaker 3: Uh longest tail, longest tail. Uh, it's terrible. I don't know that. It's all a children's book that you remember.
Speaker 4: I know you're thinking they don't have the longest tail. Not the longest story of yours share.
Speaker 3: You're not talking about the tail of your rags. I was going for that joke too. Not the longest story, which would be.
Speaker 1: Ship, but the longest bit of lore, not the longest fib.
Speaker 3: You know, who say we could do it. It's so hard to think that I don't long tail, long tail? I would you know? I thought kangaroo. But kangaroo is marsupial. It's not even a mammals, right, it's not a mammal. Have a very long tail.
Speaker 4: That's very tiger panther or Oh that's good.
Speaker 3: They have long tails tigers and cheetahs, I think.
Speaker 1: But it's not that visit but not that long necessarily.
Speaker 3: I think you might be right on the monkey bard but who knows? Who knows? Uh? This is hard because I know yang Sea River. I recently heard that was a hard one on another show. I you know this too, The Yanksy River was one of the greatest natural zesters of all time.
Speaker 2: That I don't think I would have guessed this right away at all. I would have maybe mentioned it or something, but like, I don't know, it's it's a weird question. That's why I picked it. I was like, this is interesting. I don't think it's something that you just hear bandied about all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it has to be. It has to be a kind of a hard.
Speaker 4: Get land mammal land mammal.
Speaker 2: What do you think find answers commonly in a zoo?
Speaker 4: Sure, I guess I'm gonna say. I'm gonna say a panther.
Speaker 2: Panther and lemur great guesses. The final throwdown answer. You said it very early on. It is a giraffe, Ara. It's so goddamn big. You don't think the tail is like big either, But the tail get this averages about eight feet long wo and then to swat away the pesky biting insects, so it's got to be long to get up their necks and backs and all that stuff. Right on average has an eighth forth long tail, which I thought was weird and interesting. I'm like, I did not know that.
Speaker 3: So the tall it's like being really tall, you don't notice you have a big butt.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I also learned not too long ago, like something else I should have learned when I was a kid is that there's a question about how many vertebrae are in a giraffe's neck, and you think there's like a hundred because it's so long, and it's like they have the same amount of neck vertebrae that we do. It's seven. They have seven, but their vertebrae are like the first ones this big, and then the next one, oh wow, So we each have seven vertebrates.
Speaker 3: Huge and they're just huge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're like huge, almost like Stegosaurus plates, Like they're huge. If you look the vertebrae of a draft's neck, you're like, oh my god. Wild. But we learned something about our friends, the giraffe. Gentlemen, it was such a pleasure to have you on the show. You can follow Michael gans our champ at Michael gans on Instagram and Facebook. We're happy to make a donation in his name to the Cameron Boys Foundation. Register follow him on Facebook at Richard Register and we're happy to make a donation in your name to vote forward. Watch their stuff Celebrity Deathmatch, Scream, the TV series. Be on the lookout for their new projects that they're working on. Right gents, have a great rest of your year holiday season. Love you, Yeah, the.
Speaker 3: Greatest voice at all the world, The Voice, the Voice.
Speaker 1: See you next week for another episode of You Should Know Better.
Speaker 2: I want to help out the podcast. Please subscribe to You Should Know Better. Wherever you listen to podcasts, Rate our show and write a review if you can. It really helps get the word out to the masses. We thank you, and for some daily trivia action check us out on TikTok and Instagram. Until next week, take care of yourselves and each other. We're all in this together. And then the immortal words of Harry Carey, So long, everybody. You Should Know Better as produced by Jackie Gonzalez de Ruthie and myself Mike C. Nelson, edited by Nick Wright. All music created by mister Kevin Shema, voice over tenant Natalia Castelianos, and graphic design by Jason Caldera and Calderico