Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety. Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think we are. Get off our show, idiots.
Speaker 2: The kids are crying or trail off contries are.
Speaker 1: Screwing it up. Gold play inter murals, Brother, go play inter murals. They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not. Who's the kid here? Who's the kid here? Are you kidding me? Now? Here's Nick Coffee?
Speaker 3: All right, let's see if I remember how to do this. I think I do. Microphone's on. I think we're up and running here. In fact, I have no control of us actually being on the airwaves. But across the hall is the one and the only, the company man, mister John Alden. So I think we're on air, right, I think we're rolling, and let's get this started. Another edition here Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety with myself, Nick Coffee. I hope you guys remember me. It's been a while since I've been here. Does really feel like it's been a long long time? Just a week off, which, hey, most people who take a vacation it'll be a full week, but I feel like I've been gone forever. I don't know why, but that was that was my trip, which I'm sure none of you care about. But it was a great vacation overall, really enjoyed myself, had some great weather. But man, it just it feels like this was a year ago last time I was sitting in this studio doing this show. And I don't know if it's because, you know, it just I've been completely unplugged for the most part, or if it's because there actually was a lot to react to while I was gone, which I always try, and sometimes you can't control it right, Like you never know what's going to happen. But I feel like of all the vacations that I've taken where I'm gone for at least a week or maybe four days at minimum, I've been pretty lucky with with that, you know, with not missing out on something that I really really wanted to be on the air to discuss, or just something that I feel like, you know, is a big deal that you know, I would want to be on the air to discuss and not have to do it potentially a week later. But that didn't really work out. This time around, because you know the tvt on Monday a week ago today. I mean, let's be honest, that's sucked for Louisville fans. But still just the fact that that played out the way it did Louisville players, Kentucky players, former players, of course, I mean, it just it still doesn't seem like something that really happened. But one question I asked myself, you know, like when you lose, it's not really the same meaning, like, you know, it's not like you're having to react to a season coming to an end and your team falling short of making the second weekend, because it's you know, it's not it's not that. Therefore, maybe it won't be such a tough pill to swallow whenever it all comes to an end, knowing that it's going to be your rival that does it to you. And I'll tell you it didn't hurt the same It wasn't the same thing, but it still sucked in a major way. It sucked. And I don't see a scenario where we will ever have a situation play out the way like the TBT did and it not sucked a loose to your arrival. So again, there's not a whole lot to discuss from that, But you know, I was hopeful that the villa would get it done, but they didn't. And I still love those guys, appreciate everything they did for U of L. Very glad they came back to be a part of it. I hope they do it again. But you know, losening to your rival always sucks. And what happened afterwards, you know, that sucked too. That was not a good look by any means, but still a lot of fun. And it was nice for me to be able to, you know, just turn off the TV, go to sleep, wake up the next day, and then just distract myself with the beautiful beach and a vacation to where, like, you know, I don't have to. You know, it's actually kind of nice to just be able to forget about it pretty quickly, knowing that, you know, I'm on vacation and not working, and I'm in Destin, Florida and not in Louisville, Kentucky. However, one thing I always say, you can never escape Kentucky fans. They're everywhere. We get down to the pool from our room on Tuesday morning, probably not five minutes. You know, we're sitting the cooler down getting things arranged at our chair, the kids are getting their swimmings on. I sit down to you know, put my phone and my wallet away to where I won't get wet, and some guy walks by, no clue who he was. He's like, hey, don't let last night get you down. And I'm like, what the hell is this guy talking about? And sure enough he's from Louisville, and I guess he's a Kentucky fan, and you know, he wanted to give me, not give me a hard time. He was actually a super nice guy. But like you know, here I am thinking I don't have to uh, you know, I don't have to worry about dealing with any UK fans. And one who was not into skuy I mean he was I shouldn't say he was in disguis, but usually you know there they only wear blue. But this gentleman, you know, he didn't give me a hard time necessarily, but he just wanted to jab me a little bit about you know, Kentucky knocking off Louisville in that in that event. And then you know, later later on that same day, sure enough, on the beach, UK fans and you know they were you know, they were, they were celebrating and you know, at my expense, which you know, it's if there's gonna there's gonna be a situation like that where I gotta deal with, you know, arrogant UK fans. I'd rather do it there than here. And clearly there's not as many of them there in Florida as there was, you know here in Louisville. But hey, that's what happens, right, It's you know, it's it's a rivalry. And even though it wasn't like a real game between the schools, it's still there's there's clearly still a lot of rivalry energy there and uh, you know, it just sucks when you lose to them. By the way, there were a lot of people from this area there and I know it's it's it's been said for decades. It seems that destined Florida is Louisville's vacation spot. Like you're always going to run into Louisville people when.
Speaker 2: You go there.
Speaker 3: That's like their that's their spot. And clearly that there's some truth to that. It's it's where I go. But we've been going now every year for like the last eight years. It's our annual vacation and we go roughly around the same time, and I don't remember seeing many, if any Louisville natives at least, you know, I saw the license plate, or they were wearing U of L gear, or maybe somebody you recognize, because that stuff's happened too. Like, I know people who've gone to vacation in Destin, however many miles away that is from here in Louisville, and they run into people that they know, like not just like, oh, you're from Louisville. No, hey, I know you. We used to work together, we went to high school. Like it's just it's it's been a thing, but I'd never really experienced it before until recently to where I feel like half of the place we stayed was were people from the Louisville area. Any guesses, John, as to which college fan base was represented the most in Destin.
Speaker 4: I would assume it would be one of the Florida schools. So you also have a lot of tours, Yeah, it may not be the case.
Speaker 3: No, it's mostly tourists, so you see very little, very very little. Uh. In fact, if you see people like the resort we stay at with a Florida license plate kind of like we had. It's just because of the rental, you know what I mean. Yeah, so a lot of times I just assume, oh, they're from Florida, although no they're not. They're actually just like us, they renting a car. But there was a ton, and I mean a ton of Georgia fans there.
Speaker 4: Really Okay, Yeah, I would have guessed Alabama before Jeordian.
Speaker 3: There's always there's always a healthy amount of Alabama fans because they're not that far from Deston and of course, you know, they've had a pretty good run to where they're going to be wearing their gear pretty proudly. But LSU Georgia, Alabama, I would say those three were you know, the flags were out on the beach, right, the flags were hanging from the cars, they have the license plate decals, that kind of stuff, which I don't know, I just find it. It is fine. I find that interesting because you know, a lot of people in I'm not really sure if we are the South in Louisville, I've never really felt like we are. Kind of feel like we're not South. We're not South or Midwest, but either way, you know, like people in that pocket of the country you know, their passion for sports is usually affiliate is to the school, rather it be a school they went to or you know, the biggest school that's in the state that they live in. So it's always kind of a nice reminder that college football season is getting closer because we always go at the end of July early August, and when you get here, you know it's it's right around the corner.
Speaker 2: Were there any rogue Hoosiers in Deston.
Speaker 3: I did not see any Hoosiers, although I did see I did the first day we were there. I guess it would have been because we stayed seven nights. We didn't get back to last night, and we arrived Saturday of last weekend and that day slash night. And then the next day there was a family that was there from Terre Hate Musay in.
Speaker 2: It right, yes, where Indiana State is.
Speaker 3: But they were like, I think they were Notre Dame fans. Is that close?
Speaker 2: No, that's South Bend. Yeah, that's up in northwest Indiana.
Speaker 3: So they didn't claim the Hoosiers, but they were technically you know, Hoosiers because they were from from Indiana. So anyways, I missed out on a lot and I'm gonna try my best. I do this every time I'm on vacation. I don't want to come back and do a show that you know, you feel like is something being replayed from a week before, because you know that wouldn't be ideal for us. However, there's a lot I want to react to and discuss. I mean, I don't really have much more to add from the TVT loss other than you know, it sucked, and I learned the answer to my question, which was, you know, is it gonna feel the same, And yeah, it didn't feel exactly the same. Like I was able to quickly move on from it. But yeah, like losing the Kentucky in anything sucks and unfortunately we've had that happen far too often, especially in basketball. But also, I mean, pack Kelsey's team. We got a chance to see the debut squad for Pat Kelsey here in two exhibition games. And look, I know the competition wasn't great. We knew that going in. Don't care. It was just a chance to see this team personnel we've never watched play before, different lineups, style of play, that kind of stuff. And I just don't know how you can, like, I'm not telling you to make arrangements to travel deep into the tournament because you think this squad is going to make a run to the final four. I mean that's not at all what I'm saying, because I think, knowing competition level that kind of stuff, it's just impossible to really know how much it means as far as to beat those two teams as badly as you did. However, I think you'd be hard pressed to find anybody that wasn't extremely impressed with what you say saw from this group when it comes to the personnel that Pat Kelsey has to use the style of play. I mean, I've got a lot of thoughts I'll share with you from from the two games that I watched, uh and you know, I watched them live and I rewatched him. I had my phone out on the beach on Thursday and at the pool, you know, I was hitting pause every now and then, jumping in playing with the kids coming back. I mean, I couldn't, I couldn't stay away from it because I was enjoying it so much. So you know, we'll save that for probably in the four o'clock guy, or well, I'll give you and I'll give you some you know, some big picture kind of thoughts because I think everything for the most part, that we set about this group before watching them play, just meaning what you feel like you should expect with what we know about each of these players. We know, with what we know about Pat Kelsey and the style of basketball he coached at Charleston, I feel like we got exactly what we should have expected. Meaning they're gonna play fast, There's no way around it. They're gonna play fast. They're gonna get up a lot of three point shot, They're going to initiate tempo. He's got a lot of options. I mean, they don't have a big drop off at a handful of different positions. I mean, they've got shooting, they've got experience, they've got good size. And one of the things that is that is rarely ever mentioned when it comes to the value of going and getting mature players that have played a lot of basketball. I mean, the obvious value is that you know they've already they've already kind of developed, right they're they're they're not guys you've got to spend two years as a project to see if you can get this guy to become a great player. You kind of get a guy as is and he may not be an NBA All Star with potential like that, but hey, here's here's what he can give you right now, and it's going to be ready day one. Like that, There's there's a lot of benefits in going out and adding players in the portal that are experienced. It gives you the option to not be young if you don't want to be young, and most coaches don't want to be young. But one of the things that I love about this and it really stood out and watching nearly every one of these players, it's not to say that they can't develop and get better and become better defenders, better shooters. Right, You're always always working hard at your craft to get better. But because they've played so much basketball, they know who they are as players. Right, They're not out there figuring out who they are. They're not out there trying to you know, develop into you know, more of a more of a wing after they've played you know, in the post the majority of their time in high school and you know, on aau like these are dudes who are twenty one, twenty two, twenty three years old some of them, and they know who they are as players. They're not out there trying to you know, like it's they know what they can do and they and they stick to that. They don't really go outside their game. So I was really impressed. And I mean I think just about every single player that you got to see legitimate minutes out of. I mean, even if the stat line doesn't wow you, like, I mean, you've got I mean, this team should be good. Now does that mean making it to a Sweet sixteen? I don't know, but I said it once the roster was put together on paper, that this is a team that should be in the NTUABLEA Tournament next year. Now if they're not, it didn't mean that we got a panic and act like the world's falling apart. But I said that whenever he assembled the roster right kind of felt like some of the last couple of pieces were really important. You know, Chucky Hepburn is different than really any guy you have here. Right not to say he's going to be the best player, but like you need a lead guard that has been sort of a quarterback of his team for years as a college basketball player, and then case in Pryor, you needed good front court play and then you ended up adding also Noah Waterman as well. So this is a team that should make the tournament. Now will they do it, We'll have to wait and see. But I have no problem in what I watched last week in saying that once again they should be a tournament team. So we'll talk more hoops coming up a little bit later on when it comes to Louisville football. We'll get into some things a little bit later on when it comes to camp, which started here recently. I mean, nothing crazy, right, camp is usually it's a good thing if things are quiet in camp. That means there's no injuries to report. You know, coaches won it quiet in camp, and it's been that way so far. But one thing that I didn't get a chance to discuss last week, and some people don't. I mean, heck, a lot of people probably don't care. And that's where Louisville finished in the ACC pre season media poll. And John, you may not remember, so I don't want to put you on the spot, but I'm pretty sure I guessed four that Louisville would be number four.
Speaker 2: And you were dead on the money, weren't you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it was. And I don't say that to say, hm, I was, you know, I was I was right, But even knowing that I said that and felt that way, I'm still I don't know why I care, because again, it's the preseason media poll. Nobody cares. Once the season starts you get games, it rarely ever gets referenced. I mean, it's nonsense. And by the way, they came in a number five, so you know it doesn't matter. But I am annoyed knowing that, like the ACC media voted Miami in NC State ahead of Louisville when Louisville beat them last year, had better years than both those teams, and by all accounts, Lowell should be better. I mean, I know NC State added a really good transfer in the kid from Coastal Carolina who I feel like has been in college since the nineteen nineties. I can't even think of his name, but he's been around forever, and he transferred INCA State after a ten year run. It looked like at Coastal Carolina. And I know Miami's got cam Ward and they never are lacking talent, But I don't know man to see Louisville not in the preseason coaches poll in the top twenty five which came out today, and to see that they came in in number five. Like it's a stretch to say they're being like disrespected, but I kind of feel like if you really wanted to have that conversation internally meeting Jeff Brahm, you could because again, this guy, these guys bring back a first team All American in Ashton Jalatti. Quincy Riley's probably one of the most underappreciated defensive players in the ACC, maybe all of Power five Football or Power for Football. I should say, now, I mean, your portal class isn't number one in the country, but it's probably top five everywhere you look. And they got better at quarterback two they did. I mean the only thing like on paper that I think you could look at Louisville and say, Wow, gonna be tough for me to pencil them in the top three in the league knowing that they went to the championship game a year ago because they don't have Isaa Garrindo and Juarr Jordan back there, which again, that's an understandable thing to think, oh, wow, that's gonna be tough to replace, which it is, But you don't need to have a duo like that if everything else works out the way that you hope it does, meaning where your quarterback is able to make throws that you know Jack Plumber couldn't consistently. Your quarterback's able to really give you that vertical threat to go downfield. Non existent position. Last year for louisvill football was the tight ends. No disrespect to the guys that did get reps and played tight end, but like Jeff Brown, last year, win won ten games and took Louis over to the ACC Championship game with a quarterback that was the weakness of the team and really no tight end position, no no real options or weapons at the tight end spot. And now you have a quarterback that's better, good receivers, and again you have a variety of options at tight end, including one of the best G five transfers, the kid from from San Diego State whose name is is escaping me right now. I'm rusty, I'm just fresh off vacation. I remember this guy's name. I was talking him up to somebody the other day, but yeah, he transferred in and is now. I gotta find his name because you know, it's gonna drive me crazy if I don't. But he's one of the many options you have at tight end via the transfer portal and again scrolling through here. Yes, I wanted to I was gonna say, I wanted to say Mark Madison, but that's that's the mad Dog who played, who played for the Lakers and is now Cal's basketball coach. So yes, Mark Redmond, he was an All Mountain West tight end last year. But he's not the only one. You also have Isaiah Cummins who came up, came over from Kentucky. I mean, heck, you've got Jamari Johnson, red shirt freshman who was an elite prospect coming out of coming out of high school in twenty twenty three. So look, I can't say, man, they were disrespected in a major way and the ACC media should be ashamed of themselves because I just it's I'm not there, meaning I don't feel that strongly about it. But also like it'd be different if we were trying to sell you, Hey, Louisville went seven and six last year, but man, they're gonna break through and win. Like, no, they won ten games last year and we'll bring back a better team when it comes to personnel, and yeah, the schedule is more challenging than it was a year ago. But like is that what you vote on. Like you could say, like if you felt like Clemson had the best team, but they had just an unbelievably tough schedule, which Louisville doesn't. By the way, man, I'm not like a little, but their schedule is tougher than last year because if you know, last year's schedule just was was a gift from the ACC to be honest with you, but let's just say Clemson's the best team, but they've got somehow a schedule that looks unfair?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: How did they get slotted with all the good teams and none of the duds? Would you vote them lower in your poll because of that? I mean, anyways, I'm getting worked up about it, and I don't mean to, but I guess it just you know, I feel like Louisville should be getting more love. That's what I feel. Are some other things I missed last week that we certainly will discuss today to some extent. How about Kentucky football getting hip with probation. As of right now, Mark Stoops has a losing record as Kentucky's head coach because they had to vacate every game from twenty twenty one. They had to vacate the most successful season in program history, at least in my lifetime. And what I love about this one is that, like Stoops is, this happens all while Stoops is complaining that like he's about to tap out, he just can't keep doing it. It's just he doesn't know much longer he can go. It's unsustainable. But the rivalry component here is is something because Kentucky fans, like, you're probably gonna find a way to just tell yourselves and tell Louisville fans that you talk to within the rivalry that it is different. And yet like the title being vacated for Louisville really does mean it didn't happen. However, these football games in twenty twenty one, No, they they're not that vacation is not is not legit. Those aren't like that. That's still like there's gonna be some mental gymnastics going on because you know, it's it's not really clever, it's not creative, it's not funny. But Kentucky fans, how often do they tell us that, like twenty thirteen didn't actually happen, right, Like it's it's it's a jab they keep in their back pocket at all times to go back and forth, right, like Hookers in the Dorm twenty twenty or twenty thirteen didn't happen, Like if they ever just like get down to the tank being on e when it comes to ammunition, they just they just start blurting that out like a malfunction. Strippers of the Dorms, Katita Powell didn't happen. Didn't happen like things like that. So now that you and if you're like my age or we're a little bit older or younger, like, there's no doubt about it. The best season that you've ever had in your lifetime is now now doesn't exist because it's been vacated. So you know, I mean, I know that Kentucky won those games, but like you know, I'm just curious to see what, you know, how this becomes, you know, ammunition, because yeah, it does eliminate one of the recent victories that Kentucky had over Louisville in the Governor's Cup game. That like, I just not take the rivalry aspect out of it. Vacating anything is so stupid to where like I can never actually, well, well technically, I guess I didn't. I know, we all know that it happened. We all know that it happened. But I think it's wild for Stups to be such a made man and have maybe the best contract you find in college sports, and yet he's got now this on his resume, right, the best season he's ever had there. It technically didn't happen in the eyes of the NCAA because of violations, because of cheating, and yes, I used that tongue in cheek, but yet he still plays like victim, as if like he needs help. And it's just I don't know. I am fascinated with the dynamic with Mark Stoups and Lexton right now because he's got it made and yet unless he talked and I missed it last week, like he's all down on the dumps. I mean, he wanted to get out and go to Texas A and m and that fell apart, Like I don't It's just it's odd. It's odd. Also, at some point we got to discuss Michigan. Turns out, you know, the blatant cheating that like everybody knew happened with Connor Stallions, like, turns out they're probably not going to get away with that, right because we all know it happened, and now you see that Sharon More, the new head coach, there was deleting text messages that he had with Connor Stallions as that whole scandal was uncovered. Like I mean, I don't know what the NAA is gonna do, but I do They just went on to win a national championship like that never happened, and then probably would have never been discussed again until now we know that this documentary is about to come out, and it turns out like Michigan doesn't know what Connor Stallions told him, so he may he may drop everything, and they have to you know, safe face in some form or fashion. So again we're loaded. I'm happy to be back here from vacation. Hopefully you guys will stick with us. Will take you up till six o'clock. It is coffee and company. Feel bout Thorton's right here on Sports Talk seven to ninety. All right, we will have a guest joining us at about thirty minutes or so, the one, the only, Jeffrey Greer, is gonna stop by at about four h five today to talk about some big news that came out from Soccer Holdings, which of course I reference Soccer Holdings because they are the parent company of both the local clubs here in Town lou City and Racing Louisville. But some big news that they announced earlier. I'm sure some of you've already seen it, but Jeff will join us around four o'clock to discuss that and some other things. Right, we always love catching up with mister Jeffrey Greer. All right in is Coffee and Company. We are Field Beth Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Appreciate you guys hanging out with us as I have made my way back from vacation and enjoyed a nice week off, but always always happy to be here. And if you guys want to join the show today, you can do it five oh two six five three zero seven ninety. That is the L and N Federal Credit Union text line, And if you want to give us a call, that's also an option five oh two five seven to one seventy nine hundred. So a couple people chiming in here on the on the text line. I guess we got some beach knobs out there, and I knew we would, you know, I mentioned destin that area. Really the Emerald Coast, like it's the most beautiful beach I've ever been to. I'll admit I've probably not been to that many beaches compared to other people. In fact, I'll tell you the beaches I've been to. I've been to Jackson, Florida's beach. I've been to Miami's Beach. I've been to Fort Lauderdale. I've been to Panama City obviously destined, did I say Jacky l alland Georgia. No, I've been never on a West Coast beach, never really been on a eat like I've never. Oh, I've been to hilton Head, went there a couple of times. I really like hilton Head cool spot. So like you know, I've been to Cancun, I've been to Riviera Maya, Mexico. But like, I've not gone to Greece, i haven't been to Hawaii. Like, I'm sure there are beaches out there that are the most gorgeous things you'll ever see. But I'm just basing it off of you know, what I know, and of all the places i've been, nothing beats the clear. I mean, I wouldn't even call it crystal like, it's just it's just completely clear.
Speaker 2: Clearer, than when you were in clear water.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's right, and now I was I wasn't clear all, although that water was pretty nice too. It's just different. But yeah, I mean, I I really really, we we've tried different places, and I'm not, like I'm not a beach snob at all. Like I'm not even somebody who really likes the beach that much, be honest with you, I don't dislike it. It's just I'd be fine with, you know, spend spending a little bit of time at the beach during the day, but like the majority of our time being spent at the pool or you know, out doing stuff. Like I'm not somebody who can just lay up on a beach all day. It's just not really. I mean, I can, but I don't really want to do that. So, you know, being out there in the water where you can be, I don't know, maybe I don't know. It's tough to know, like how deep the water is at any point sometimes and you've got spots in the ocean where you can you can be. It could be up to you know, your neck, and then you go out like ten feet further and for some reason, it's like as shallow as can be like you just never really know. But just to be able to completely see the floor of the ocean when you're that, when you're when you're in the water and see it that clearly is is awesome. So we have other people on the text line claiming the day agree and destined is great, and that's we know, this is our this is our trip. Every year we're going to go there spend a week. We already know kind of where we're going to go and eat and that kind of stuff because we've been there before. But and usually even if we do get some bad weather, which we did get a couple of days where it rained a little bit, it didn't last long because it never does. But for the most part, even if you got rain every day, at some point, I'd still say the majority of your day in most instances will be sunny and beautiful because it just doesn't stay gloomy that long, at least not when we've been there. We've been very lucky. Although apparently there's a hurricane head in that way. So I think we got we got back here a little uh, you know, right on time. I guess I don't know how bad it's going to be exactly where we were, But I know yesterday our flight left a little bit later in the afternoon, which worked out great because we were able to get up in the morning and we had to be out of the resort we were staying at by ten. But we just took you know, a change of clothes with us to the pool into the beach and had you know, another three four hours out, you know, enjoying the day before. We changed clothes and headed to the airport. But it was beautif but man, the water was insanely rough. Like you couldn't if you were walking just along the beach, you know, where your feet get hit with water in the waves, like every so often you're close to the water, but like you don't have to worry about like your clothes getting wet or anything like that. Like a lot of people just walk the beach doing exactly what I just mentioned. But if you were doing it yesterday, like maybe every twenty thirty seconds, you were gonna be bombarded by a huge wave that you know wouldn't take you under and pull you away from the beach, but it was. It was brutal. And then sure enough, as I'm leaving, I'm like, oh, I guess that makes sense. There's like apparently a very dangerous uh hurricane head in that way.
Speaker 2: I say tornado, you said hurricane.
Speaker 3: So anyways, I'm happy to be back. It's always nice to get you know, to get some rn R. And we did exactly that, despite airline people still being you know, the worst. And I shouldn't say airline people because I'm not even really sure what that means, because people who work for the airline, I guess would be who you would consider airline people, but you probably don't call them that anyways. But nonetheless, we talked about it recently on the show, so it was fresh on my mind John when I went to the airport last Saturday to leave, and then we went to the airport yesterday to come home, and I wasn't looking for, you know, somebody to be Yeah, I look over for trouble, but like the unpulled, I mean, the destined airport for Walden is tiny, Like there's not humongous long lines for anything, at least not when we've been there, like it's been busy, but busy, there is nothing because again it's a tiny airport. So you know, we're there yesterday going through and getting our bags. You know, checked in that kind of stuff, going through security and you know, then waiting to get on the plane to leave, and like at every every point where there was communication with somebody that worked either for the airline or for the airport or for the rental car peek place, Like they're just passive aggressive and like I don't know, Like it's they'll call you sir and ma'am, but like they're not happy to be doing It's almost like they're it's more of a how you say something than what you say, but like it's I don't get it, Like we're as unpleasant, we were as eager to work with you as you are us. Put it that way, like there's no need for you to be that angry. And maybe anger is not the right word because it isn't like people are losing their minds, although you can find that on the internet. That's one of my favorite things to find is people losing their minds at the airport. We've discussed that before. But like we had one suitcase that had a bum wheel. Let's put it that way. It worked, it didn't cause any issue, but like you could see this little bitty crack like next to the wheel and let's just say like if the wheel did break, I wouldn't be surprised, but it was still working, and this lady held up the line and to get our with the airline to get our bag checked because she had to like put this big obnoxious sticker on it that like we've been warned that the wheel is is potentially damaged. Which look, she may just be doing her job, but you would have thought that her day was ruined because we had a bum wheel on a suitcase. Like It's just like everybody has days at work, I'm sure where they just don't want to be there, they don't like it, they find themselves considering a different career path. Like that's pretty normal, I would say in most people's lives where they just feel like, man, this isn't ed. I got to think of something else I can do because I hate this job, this, this is too much, this isn't the right fit for me. Like I don't think that's that uncommon, but I feel like every time I'm at the airport, everybody I encounter, like that's on their mind their whole work shift, which you know, find something else to do. Geez. Anyways, so I'm not going to get into ranking the best Kentucky football seasons of all time, because when I don't know, like I wouldn't even know where to start. But I don't feel like I'm I'm exaggerating when I say that their season that they had that is now now you know, non existent, didn't didn't happen? Wipe it out of your brain in two thousand and see what year was it in two thousand and twenty one. It's already been wiped from Wikipedia, by the way. Yeah, I mean they look, they went they went five and three. I think it was in in ACC play, which is unheard of for them. It's happened like what a handful of times ever in the history of their program, where they want they had a winning record in the ACC and then they went on and they beat a good a good team was it Iowa in the UH in the Citrus Bowl? Again there their ten win season from twenty eighteen. Maybe some could say that's that that was a that was a more special year because they also ten and three, five and three overall. I think they beat Penn State in in the Citrus Bowl. It's like, maybe that is a better look. But again, regardless, I used to say this all the time. When Mark Stoops was hired, like nobody knew what to expect. He'd never been a head coach before you knew his name. He came from Florida State, who at that time was role and they just won a national championship. But like to say that that Kentucky football would have two to ten win seasons in twenty twelve, whenever Stoops was hired, like, I would never believe you. I would say, you know, this is not I don't. I don't reuse this line as because I think it's like a funny a funny joke that's gonna get a lot of laughs out of people. But it's genuinely what I thought. If you'd have told me, hey, Kentucky football, they won ten games on two different occasions in twenty eighteen. In twenty twenty two, they were a ten win team, I would have said, well, okay, if that's the case, then Nick Saban must have left Alabama and came to coach Kentucky because Kentucky would never ever have a ten win season in football. Won't happen. And it did, and that's a credit to Stoops. But now one of them didn't happen. Technically, do they have any competitive advantage? Absolutely not, no way because these players was eleven of them were working at a hospital, but not really working at a hospital, which in that like fraud, like can't could the hospital get in trouble, But they were working as employees and I think they call that like ghost ghost employment. So anyways, like there's no competitive advantage, right, and in fact, I don't even think the guys who were doing that were like, you know, that wasn't like how they were able that was now Kentucky landed a commitment from them. They were just guys who were able to you know, put some money in their pocket before an IL was legal. But it's just like the twenty thirteen Louisville National Championship, louisll didn't win a championship because of anything that happened in a Narti hall. In fact, now that this thing has passed, and this is not to minimize it or act like it wasn't a big deal, because it's you know, even if there's an ounce of truth to what Katina pal said, it's still just disgusting. We all know that. But it didn't help them. It only hurt them. Like even at the time, like when you had like what recruit came there and was like, yeah, look this is great. They're gonna have you know, these women if you want to call them that, I mean, like it didn't hurt It didn't help them in any way, and especially didn't help them on the court, Like they didn't win in the NAA tournament or during that season because of anything that happened previously, but because of the NAA stupid archaic rules. You know, that's the one thing they can do is they can go in and say, well, we're vacating your games. And it's really stupid, it really is, and you would always rather have that than have, you know, a potential postseason ban, because you know, you don't want anything to hurt you moving forward and technically vacating wins. Like the only thing that angers me about it is it's just stupid. But in the end, it actually doesn't bother you if you can like just live in a world where you know that it's nonsense and that you know what happened, you know.
Speaker 2: The result was there.
Speaker 3: You know that whatever cheating is being alleged, you know, did not give you a competitive advantage. If you could live in that in that space mentally, you know, the real world then like, who cares? I think with Louisville though, when it comes to vacating theirs, it was because it was a national championship and it had never happened before and now. And that's why it was tough to watch some of those guys losing the TVT because they've moved on to become successful people in life, whether it be basketball, like Peyton who's had a great pro career now he's on the staff, Russ great professional career, still currently a professional and also has his own bourbon business. Montros Harold played roughly a decade in the NBA, won NBA six Man of the Year. So you know, these guys were part of a really special, special era of Louisville basketball, and I just hate to know that when that comes up, the twenty thirteen team losing a banner because of what happened in Minority Hall, all that kind of stuff, Like, I just hated for those guys to have that attached to them in any way, but we all know they still want it, and again, it had nothing to do with the actual results on the court. I'm sure Kentucky fans don't really care that they're having a full season vacated, especially knowing that, like, now, what you did is is legal. But what they got to figure out is are they going to keep using that in the rivalry banter? Right? Like, are you going to keep acknowledging the NCAA vacating a twenty thirteen title? Are you now removing that from the uh, you know, from the hulster because you now, you know, you'd be hypocritical because one of the best seasons you've ever watched for Kentucky football also technically was vacated. Which we'll get to this later when it comes to Michigan. This is for those who don't know that the the latest on this Michigan. I mean, can we call it a scandal? It is that, but I mean, to me, it was saying scandal doesn't seem fitting given the fact that like it, there's not really any controversy. Everybody knows what they did and knows that it wasn't It wasn't you know, technically you know, so in the same level of sign stealing that you see every day in college football. They had a full elaborate plan and it clearly worked. And one of the things that is wild to be about. This is that the results look bad for Michigan, meaning when this started happening, when they started utilizing Connor stallions to steal signs, that's when they started really winning at a high level, which doesn't look good on their part. But anyways, this is clearly a big deal. And now we know that there are text messages that were deleted by the new Michigan coach, sure On more former louisvel staffer. By the way, but this is from ESPN. It says let me see here. Yeah, this is from ESPN dot com. This was from Dan Murphy and Pete Famil. The link I'm reading does say they'll be updates to this, but essentially, sure On Moore, the new head coach of Michigan, could be facing instead of a penalties related to the Connor Stallion's case, according to a draft of the NAA's notice of allegations. So again, this is a draft of notice of allegations for Michigan for this whole thing. But does anybody actually feel like the NCAA is gonna do anything?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: It's never they have never seemed like such a useless organization to where like I think people are gonna break rules, cheat and just you know, fight them in court and if you want to vacate something, go for But like, we don't really respect you anymore. I don't know. I just if Michigan got hit hard in some way, Like I think there's a lot of people that would actually like that because everybody knows they cheated. But I just I don't know. I can't. I just don't. I don't get the sense that we're gonna see the NCAA step in and really really punish people anymore. I just I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side for a short segment before we wrap up the three o'clock hour, and uh, we're taking up till six o'clock, So hang out with us right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. I'm sure everybody knows what secondhand embarrassment is, where you are not involved in any way, but you feel a level of embarrassment or someone else who you know is embarrassed. I have secondhand nerves for Marty Polio, the superintendent of Jefferson County Public Schools, because obviously there's a lot of coverage on the back to School Plan and transportation with JCPS starting school on Thursday, and I mean I didn't forget about it, but to look at this right up over at WKY in regards to like just how bad of a debile. I mean, it was a national story last year that you know, JCPS started a school year and quite literally could not accomplish the fund. The first thing in the in the rule book, if there is one, as far as you know, how to have a school, how to have education, is to get the kids there. It couldn't do that, and it was just a complete mess. I mean they had to cancel school, like, hey, you got it. We're gonna give you guys a little bit more time during the summer here because man, we aren't ready. I mean, you have kids getting dropped off after ten pm, kids on the wrong buses. I mean, it was an absolute mess. And the first day of school is always hectic and a mess, especially when you're talking about humongous school districts like Jefferson County Public schools. I mean, even we're I grew up Bullet County, I'm sure they you know, the first day is just you're gonna have you know, maybe a new bus route or maybe you know, you got kids that get on the wrong bus because they've never been to school before. Like, you're gonna have hiccups along the way as everybody involved, from top to bottom gets acclimated on. You know, whatever the plan is, right, if it's a new transportation plan, new bus routes, all that kind of stuff. But with JCPS man, it just seemed like it couldn't have been much worse when they tried last last year. And you know, I'm telling myself, well, there's no way it'll be as bad as it was a year ago. But I guess we'll find out on uh, we'll find out on Thursdays.
Speaker 4: Isn't there And I don't know all the details of this obviously, but isn't there something to where if if somebody, if something doesn't go right, they could be out of school until like November. I've heard something very weird. I don't know how that works or what that is. That sounds very just glad.
Speaker 3: I am glad you brought that up, because I don't have an answer for you, but I have also I've also seen the Facebook posts from people like are we really going to have to keep our kids until November? Because you know when my daughters is the only child of mine that's in school. My son will start kindergarten next year, and you know, when she's not in school, we actually had a really good summer with her as far as finding the perfect people to help us out and watch her during the day. And when I say help us out, I mean, you know, we pay them. You know, it's not something that they do for free, as they shouldn't. So you know, it's a little more expensive for us in the summer because we have to pay for childcare for two people. Well, when she's in school, we don't have to worry about that, which is you know, which is good. But a lot of people it's it's not just financial. It's like, hey, I don't have to you know, I don't have to arrange for somebody to watch my kid. If they're in school. I know where they are and I know, hey, somebody's going to pick them up off the bus. So not having kids at home for the summer is really a convenience thing for a lot of parents, and I think a lot of us learn that the hard way when people tried to work from home during the pandemic while also being teachers, essentially for their kids like that was crazy. So I've seen that too, John, But I don't really know anything about it. I don't know why people are claiming like something till November.
Speaker 2: I just can't imagine that being the case for anything.
Speaker 3: Like Yeah, and look, they clearly have a big shortage of drivers with JCPS, and there's some new things they put in place to where if you take your kid to school every day, you're entitled to a certain amount of money per day, you know, to help cover the cost of transportation that kind of stuff. So look, I'm hopeful, I'm hopeful that they don't have another cluster, you know what, on their hands, and there's just no way it could be as bad as last year, right, fingers crossed. But I'm worried for Marty Polio because he's the guy that's got to get in front of the Cameron microphone when these kind of things happen. And you know, hope it goes well. All right, we get two more hours, and I hope those two hours go well. I mean they're going to right, We're gonna have some fun. We'll start off the four o'clock hour coming up here in just a few minutes by bringing in our own. I say our own. He's not mine. I don't own him, but he's my man. He's Jeff Greer. We'll talk some soccer with him coming up on the other side right here on Sports Talk seven ninety