Speaker 1: Coming off with draw another goal from Diego, technical director for the local soccer club. Here for Rayal saw Lake. I always funny. Catch up with Kurt Schmid. Kurt, happy money, buddy. How are we doing?
Speaker 2: I'm doing well. How are you?
Speaker 3: I'm good, buddy, I'm good. Right out of the gates?
Speaker 1: Is Diego better already than you ever thought he could be? Like when you first saw him play and started to scout him, has he even superseded your expectations for him?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good question. He's definitely better now than I thought he would be, probat of the first time I saw him play, but as we scouted him more in USL, and for me, the moment where it really clicked was actually down in Argentina. He was at a U twenty camp and I was down there scouting some games and one of them was the U twenty's playing River Plate reserves, and so he came off the bench in that game, and they didn't really bring a lot of strikers, so I think they only had one nine in the group, and so the nine started and then they brought Diego on at the nine and he he just changed the whole game, and obviously it was the reserves at River, So it wasn't maybe the most elite level at the moment, but it's still a pretty good level for that age group. And uh and watching him sort of change the game in that environment just gave me a real glimpse of what he could do. It's given the chance and given the right platform, and honestly, you know, he's he's obviously continuing to fulfill that. I don't want to say he's done. I think he's continuing to grow. You know, you see it every week. But that was the moment for me. And you know, I got some really good feedback on him from from from my friend of mine who was actually his coach and Opasta at the time, who you know, couldn't couldn't speak more highly of him as a person, as a character, and thought that he you know, he was someone that really had to drive to succeed. And I put a lot of trust in that as well. So you know, that was sort of the story there.
Speaker 1: Are you aware that there is a very famous Mexican actor and director named Diego Luna. I just did a little Google search and I just learned that today. Are you aware of that?
Speaker 2: I am aware? I had to approve Diego's the meeting of the two Diegos a few weeks ago.
Speaker 3: Oh all right, we'll learn something new every day. Let me follow up.
Speaker 1: And you referenced when you were first scouting him that the club he was with did bring him on as a nine, and more often than not, at least from my prism, he has been asked by you guys to be more of a distributor and more of a creative player. And you just look at his stats over the years, more assists. You know, it's not like he hasn't been scoring goals, but he's scoring goals.
Speaker 3: At such a high level.
Speaker 1: Did you know he had this type of goal scoring prowess because for me, it's always been more of like a central attacking midfielder that provides service to the strikers up top.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, that's sort of the wrap for an attacking midfielders. They're supposed to be more provider than goalscorer. But when he first started an Alpasso as a very young player, he was playing like a left sided forward essentially, not really a ten, not really a nine, but he would come off the left where you know, he actually played a lot of time for US as well, and just create a lot of danger, be very goal oriented. And so, you know, I think that was part of his appeal in USL. Part of the things, you know, one of the things that drew people and drew us to him was his ability to be productive in front of goal. And I think, you know, the question is, always, okay, player is productive at a lower level. Can he be productive at a higher level, And that's the big question mark. And obviously if he doesn't score goals at the lower level, then the odds of him scoring goals at our level are not very high. But even players that do score, let's say in the USL, don't always translate. And so we knew we had that potential in him. And I think honestly, the first year and a half or so with us, it was actually about getting him to be more comfortable being that goal oriented. And I know Pavel's talked a lot about getting him to work on the defensive side, and I think that was also a big part of it. But on the on the attacking side, it wasn't just about getting your touches on the ball. You know, if him if he's receiving passes, cyberd passes from center backs, like that wasn't something that we were interested in or that he should be interested in. It was it was about being decisive in the final third and getting him to to add those counting stats to his to his line. And so he's he's obviously done that a lot last year and then so far for us this year. But yeah, that's one of the things that truest to him.
Speaker 4: Honestly, twenty one excuse me, twenty one years old, So of course he is not close to a finished product, what if anything, And you know, there's part of this current that kind of reminds me of a conversation that people used to have about Nicki Rimando, where you know, if Nick was six', three six,' four Probably a, european, keeper right probably a guy that could have played in a number of leagues and maybe the biggest.
Speaker 1: Of Leagues and diego suddenly is not going to change his. Body composition he's not going To Become Anderson. Julio, fast, SO like i guess that's just some CONTEXT before i, asked you what do You think diego needs to? Improve upon should he have these aspirations of playing in some of the bigger Leagues.
Speaker 3: In, EUROPE.
Speaker 2: Yeah i don't think it's about adding, you know a whole lot of different things to his game than what you see from him. Right now it's really about being more consistent and the having consistent quality to his decision making the final third and his actions in the final. Third especially but, you know as once you show you can do, these things, you know for for a, young player the real challenge and one of the reasons people you just like quote experienced players more is because those players have learned how to be consistent and how to kind of perform at a consistent level on a. Consistent basis and so that's that's really what it is, for him and so as he's building on, you know his, statistical seasons it's it's just about, being consistent, you know from from season, to season from game, to game from play to play within, the game and being switched on all the time and just, you know being a guy that people can. Rely, on so, YOU know i think he's showing that now. For sure but it isn't about adding a whole lot of. DIFFERENT things i think he's shown the player he is and the things he, can do and it's just about continuing to. Do them over and over.
Speaker 1: Again again i'll bring out the fact that he's, twenty one just because it feels like you guys are asking him to just shoulder a. Big load and, you Know tonight kurt IS The nba, Draft lottery so we were DOING some nba Earlier and Jannis Wants, adam milwaukee and, you know kind of a conversation about teams relying heavily on one individual talent and then it's the job of people like you whose decisions are intertwined into constructing the roster to make sure the talent. Is, Supported, right so do you feel like he has enough around him or do you feel like you guys are asking him to do, a.
Speaker 2: Lot, you know asking him to do. A lot at, THE moment i think he's picking up. Some slack whether we're, you know explicitly, saying hey you got to do this or else or anything, LIKE that i, don't know but. He is he is picking up a lot of slack, right now which is great for us and it's great for him in. HIS development i think we can continue to build pieces. AROUND him i think he's got some good pieces, around him, you know but we can continue to add those pieces that can that can highlight him a, little bit that can, push him and that can contribute. To. Success, yeah absolutely, All.
Speaker 1: Right so last year summer, transfer window you guys brought in a number, of PIECES and i can remember talking to both You and Pablo And jason toni but everybody about the decision to Bring, in diogo who on your roster is the only. Designated player and there were moments last year where you could see, the quality but it felt like the walking Line was diego needs a Preseason with pablo and with this staff so he can acclimate to what we're asking him, to do so he can acclimate to play in, and altitude so he can acclimate to Playing in major.
Speaker 3: League soccer at, What, point kurt do we kind.
Speaker 1: Of look at this entire situation, and wonder, you know whether or not he is going to get? This right and maybe there Are things i'm Not seeing and again there are, moments right and THAT'S why i don't want TO be i approach this job is more observation and not conclusion or DISMISS.
Speaker 3: OR anoi, i mean this is, a long.
Speaker 1: Long season it's a it's a season that is, a marathon as we talked. About before but at what point do we kind of look at the thing and wonder or not if maybe the evaluation.
Speaker 3: Was off is? That, fair.
Speaker 2: Look players all adapt at, Different Rates and i'm not someone who thinks pre season is a magical period of time where where everyone can can discover their form and become the player that, they want they want that we want them. TO be i think it's really just about time with, a coach time with, your teammates and time in. A league and, you know more time equals, more adaptation which poles more comfort and confidence and should equal higher. Quality play and different players need different amounts. Of time some players can hit the, ground running, you know As, in seattle We Signed nikolas ladero and he hit the ground running day one and and didn't need any time to adapt to his teammates or to the league and Became an it's a. Difference maker and you know there's some players that need six or twelve months to adapt and maybe their second year that's when they really blossom, and bloom. You know so you Look at DIALS and i think he brings a lot of quality to. The team he's, WORKING defensively, I know i know Within what pablo was asking and and he's adds a lot of quality on the ball and the. Build up when he's on, the ball his decisions are, Generally better his technicobility. Is good he's getting himself in really. GOOD spots i was actually talking to someone about, this today, you know in terms of some of his statistics and. Underlying numbers and, you know he's getting into into spots where he's, created chances, you know with, expected assists or he's he's, you know getting chances of himself with, expected goals and and right now he's underperforming, those numbers, You know and that's that's an objective analysis at, this point right those those two specific, numbers especially he's he's underperforming. Them NOW and i think the expectation that he would have for himself and that we have, for him is that he, at least, you know bas, you know gets that part right and scores and assists what what can be expected based on on the quality chances he's getting and setting up. For others and expected assist is kind of a weird one because, you know he plays a. GREAT ball i THINK he's i think he's gonna play the Ball into Willie will he doesn't, shoot okay there's no expected. Assist there so it's a little tough, one too because you can't do both ends, of it. YOU know i think there are some moments where he'll demand more of himself and will demand more, Of him and, you know we're always evaluating everyone and they're fit within the team and how they're, helping us and and that type of pressure is no different to him or anyone helse on. That team, BUT yeah i think the expectation is that he meets those expectations from the standpoint of those, you know expectables RESPECTIVEST and i think he's he's adding the defensive work Rate that pabo's. Looking for if, he's not, you know pabas holding him accountable, To that and so That's that heart's been. Really positive he's been. Bought in he just needs to execute in those.
Speaker 1: Final moments good, breakdown there same Question about Dom about Don. Mark, ZUK now i Understand that dom has some personal challenges, right NOW and i always try to. Be fair these are humans that have families and they have issues like. Everybody ELSE so i don't know if you can provide any color and context. To that if, if so, Feel FREE but i kind of feel the same Way about DOM that i Feel, about diogo where there are times where he'll play in across or he'll, you know he'll he'll score a goal or a provide service and, you're, like, wow MAN he i can see in him what you guys saw on him to bring. Him over but it's kind of the, Same, thing kurt. Isn't it we just need a little. More consistency so what's the analysis on the performance of Don mark suit?
Speaker 2: So? FAR yeah I mean i think you you you actually gave a very good analysis soccer guy. Over here he gets in. Good spots the quality this decision making in the final third going FORWARD is i think. Very good but the consistency of his his execution on that decision making is not. ALWAYS there i think you can see the types of balls that. HE plays i think no one else on the team can. Actually, hit uh you know the ball he played Into pay suits for the goal that got called Back. In nashville that was a, phenomenal, Pass right and he's done that multiple times for us in games. And training we see that all, the time and and that that quality and that decision making. Is there, the consistency like, we Said, for, Diel, right like that's the piece that the needs to be added to, the game and so we need to. Get him he needs to find a way to get himself into those high leverage spots more often so that we can utilize the quality. Decision making. You know but you look at it, right now and competition is good when we, want, Competition right And so ghoso's come in and give us some really really good shifts and so, you know credit to him for taking. His OPPORTUNITY and i think while you're while you're, doing well you're, you know no one's gonna gonna sit, you, Down right so now It's about dom saying to him, the, Hell hey i'm, YOU know i want to get back out. There right and we've seen that with with other Players. In alaska train has had to deal with something similar this year. As well so competition is good and we're looking to push. Those guys but, You know dom's a guy that has a lot. Of quality obviously as RECENTLY as i think the last international window was in was in the full national Team, With poland so, YOU know i think there's there's there's a lot of potential and quality there and we're just helping them get get.
Speaker 3: It, Out, so kurt YOU lead mls in. Red cards, my guy.
Speaker 2: You're gonna get started on.
Speaker 1: This, ONE well, i mean LOOK like i watch all, the games, AND uh i think there have Been some well one one red card was actually rescinded because it was, So pathetic but there are a couple. Of others the ONE that i think It was Pole against dallas here was. Beyond dumb so what what what's fair to say about just simply. THAT dynamic, i mean, on paper if people aren't watching and they see that YOU lead mls and, red cards, it's, like well are? They undisciplined but if, you're watching you've also been. Hard done SO when i say, To You, kurt schmid your TEAM leads mls and, red cards what is?
Speaker 3: Your, RESPONSE.
Speaker 2: Yeah i mean we've got four. RED cards I think, i, think uh, you know one of them is, you know we obviously didn't appeal. And it, you know we can see why that's a. RED card i don't think it. WAS malicious i think it was a little it was awkward and, poorly timed but went into it recklessly, and okay. No problem you know another one. That rescinded the third was a second yellow for time, we Thing and i'm nearly positive the referee forgot that he had just given. Body yellow and then, this one which, You Know i'm i'm doing a lot of research on this one to to throw some data at the at the, league about, you, know what what's going on in, this SITUATION because i think you see this type of moment happen multiple times a game and certainly mold times a weekend across the league with with no. Action TAKEN and i, understand that, you know it's a higher leverage moment and you're looking for, a penalty and that maybe makes the referee think it's worthy of a. Yellow card but, you know as you look at the replay, multiple times it's really hard for me to say that he definitely without a shadow that was. Not TOUCHED and i think IT'S really i was gonna, say harsh but maybe that's not even a strong, Enough word like it's kind of insane to make a game, changing decision, you know based, on that in, my opinion like a second yellow for a dive where, the video, you know slow motion replay doesn't even clearly indicate that the guy, Wasn't touched and, YOU know i think he was touched that he thinks he, has touched and, you know maybe he could have stayed up or should have. Stayed up but, sometimes referees, you know don't give you a foul if you get fouled and you. Stay up and so you've got, you know you've got players in these two minds, of well, you KNOW if i, stay UP maybe i get a shot off THEN but i don't get the foul and it could be, a penalty AND maybe i missed. The shot and like, you know he's doing all this calculation in his head at light speed right in the in the moment and has to make it split. Second decision so It's really i'm really DISAPPOINTED in i think some of the refereeing decisions that have gone. Our way and you know that doesn't even take into account the red card that sort of been Given. Against love it's uh In. IN nashville i, think that, you know even Apart from willie's, SECOND yellow i think there WERE some i think the yellow card distribution in this game was wasn't. Quite equitable, SO yeah i don't to TELL you i think there's an element of discipline. TO that i don't think that NUMBER for us shows a gross, you know. INDISCIPLINE epidemic I think i think the two you know, AGAIN again i think the last three that we've gotten, you know one was obviously rescinded in the two. SECOND yellows i think, we're incredibly. Incredibly harsh and so while we can ALWAYS and i HOPE and i want the team and the players, to do is to look within, and, think well WHAT could i have done to have prevented this this situation from happening? To IT so i think there are things that we can do to, affect it and we should take. THAT responsibility i know this, players do but, you, know me looking at it from, MY seat i think it's incredibly harsh by the officials in all those situations and couldn't have been given.
Speaker 1: As, is so Of course willie Will miss wednesday's tilt against Poor Lynd johnny russ available for Selection. Against dallas so let's move into the space of the two, new acquisitions what you've seen in training, and again unfortunately we will Not see Willy, on wednesday but is there a chance We'll.
Speaker 3: See, johnny yeah he's on.
Speaker 2: The bench there's. A CHANCE and i think if publicly is the right moment to get him in there and to add some quality and make a difference in. The game he'll, do that. YOU know i, know obviously, you know down a man in that Situation in dallas probably wasn't the right moment to debut him. Into that so we'll see if the moment presents Itself. On WEDNESDAY but, i think, You know johnny brings obviously a lot of experience to, the group experience not just in the games but also, in training which you know will take time obviously to see within the group in, the games but helps us a ton. As well and, you know he obviously also makes a lot of good decisions and has a lot of quality on the ball in those, right moments and so if we see time to use, those qualities we will, all.
Speaker 1: Right, last thing give me a little gland Into who. Portland is they they're having a. Good year they're third In the west or six three and three twenty two, goals scored so they've got something cooking. Up there as your opponent On. On wednesday tell me, About them curt forre set.
Speaker 3: You loose.
Speaker 2: They are a, very attacking, you know. Oriented team they obviously last season and returned all. These guys but they they scored a lot, of goals you. KNOW that i think it was three guys and or three or four guys in, double digits which was or was above a, certain number and that was the record or first time that happened in. The LEAGUE so i think there's still that team they want. To be they want to, play quick they want to, get forward they want they've always been a bit of a, transition team, you know and willing to get out on. The break so that's what we might see a little. BIT of i think they are going to. Push forward they do have a lot of quality in. The attack. You know you didn't you mention how many goals, they scored but not how many goals. THEY conceded i think they've also been a little bit susceptible in the back. Of times that's hopefully something we can take. Advantage of they've given up nineteen mis score. Twenty two they've given, Up nineteen so it's something that we'll try and take advantage of them on that side of the wall.
Speaker 1: As Well, all, right buddy good, stuff today appreciate, the time and best of Luck, on wednesday.
Speaker 3: Moving, forward okay, all right, Sounds good, All Right, coach.
Speaker 1: Schmitt technical Director For Real, salt lake stops by today courtesy of our FRIENDS At Ifa. Country stores any drive to the basket begins with the, first step but on the court that's the ultimate. Power move ifase, Step One crabgrass preventter And Their lawn food is the first choice to give your yard, the healthy thick green look.
Speaker 3: You desire the neighbors will be Green.
Speaker 1: WITH andy shopifa ONLINE at ifa dot co op er stop by one of Their eighteen utah locations today