Speaker 1: This is Dan Capless and welcome to today's online podcast edition of The Dan Caplis Show. Please be sure to give us a five star rating if you'd be so kind, and to subscribe, download and listen to the show every single day on your favorite podcast platform.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Dan Caplis Show. Here on a windy Monday afternoons from the iHeart Studios. Looking out the window here, it looks like the weather is changing quickly, so if you're out there on the roads or heading home, looks like you may encounter some weather in your drive today. You're not listening to Dan, though, you're listening to the fill in, which is Weld, Kenny shri Steve Riams. It's always an honor to be here in the seat taking over for Dan. I think he's out a trial again for the first couple of days of the week this week, so you'll have me today and a couple other guest hosts as the week goes on. But I want to dive right into our topics today, and one of those is going to be the State Republican Party, the GOP. We've had a transition of power from the Dave Williams regime to the Britta Horn legacy, and in that process, it's been a little clunky from one transition to the other. And last week, any of you that are involved in Colorado politics on the Republican side, you probably had an email from the new chairwoman, Brita Horn, and kind of referenced taking over the finances of the party and through some information out there that can kind of be construed to question the spending of the outgoing regime for the last month. And I was asked to go on a radio show over the weekend along with Dick Wadhams. And during that other radio show we were kind of having an exchange back and forth, and I thought, well, I'm going to be covering for Dan, so why don't we get Dick Wadhams on on Monday afternoon and just kind of set the stage for where the state of the Republican Party is. So he's coming on with us right now. Dick, how are you doing, mister Wadhams, How are you, sir?
Speaker 3: I'm doing great? Sure, How are you doing?
Speaker 4: I'm doing fine? Hey.
Speaker 2: You know, we had a little conversation over the weekend, but to set the stage for the listeners, you know, I think anybody that's part of the Republican Party probably got the email that came out from chairwoman Britta Horn, and the minute that I got it and there was three pages of spreadsheet expenditures that kind of drew my attention. I was like, Oh, that's a lot of money. I think two hundred and sixty one thousand dollars that was outgoing from the account in that last month. And I think you probably looked at it in a similar way. But I don't want to put words in your mouth. So what was your initial take at seeing that email and kind of the information contained.
Speaker 3: Well, it didn't really surprise me, Steve. I assumed that probably the Williams regime would spend down the money in the account, as I recall going into April. For going into March, the party was showing something like two hundred thousand in the bank, and the last FET report they filed for the month of March, which was filed on April twentieth, I showed it spend down to something with fourth thousand or whatever it was. Didn't surprise me. Okay, But the only thing I'll tell you what has kind of really kind of rankled me. The whole few years Williams chairman was the character assassination that he he and others leveled against Christy Burton Brown and alleging that she had done he suggested, not suggesting, very almost accusing her of of illegal mismanagement of the party. And they never came forward with any concrete evidence of that, and and I think they're still doing it. So I don't know. I mean, Christy Burton Brown is an upstanding person. I just don't understand why they did that during their two year period.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Interestingly enough, after the interview we did over the weekend, I got a text from Dave Williams that kind of it was a statement and it was on behalf of his outgoing his outgoing group, and it was it was pinned by Tom Bjorkland, uh the outgoing Treasure and he basically said, hey, you know, there were some problems that were inherited from even the Ryan call era that apparently didn't necessarily get cleaned up under KBB. And then when Dave Williams took over, you know, they were doing their best and this is his his take, not mine, they were doing their best to kind of make sense of all that and hand over a clean a clean Bill of goods to the to the now britt A Horn administration. So we're actually gonna have Tom Bjorklan on in the second hour of the show, So I'd encourage you to tune in if you want to hear what he has to say. But you know, I figured, let's just get straight to the source and see if we can find the guy who was actually doing the books. So hopefully that'll be a little little uh, it'll shine some light on the whole thing. But Dick, I the reason I wanted to have you on is you you were the party chairman for a while. Is it normal to see this kind of spin down in the last month or two of one person going out and another person even.
Speaker 3: M That's hard to answer the question whether it's normal, Steve, when I got elected in two thousand and seven, I discovered that the party he was in debt by a serious amount. In fact, it was in debt six hundred thousand dollars when we time, we got a full accounting, and it wasn't There wasn't anything illegal going on. The party just lost control of its spending as it was trying to help elect Republicans, and that two hundred or that two thousand and six election cycle. So I started off the day I got elected. I inherited a six hundred thousand dollars debt that took me over the course of the full first two years I was chairman. And so you know, it's just one of them. Listen, I ran for the job, I've got it, and I've had the responsibility for taking care of that debt and we did. I wouldn't I would say this that uh chair should try to leave some money in the bank. So that's the new chair has the ability to have some cushion going into their their term. I don't know what that figure is. I mean, you know, but uh sixty four thousand dollars or whatever, I think I think that was the figure I saw on that FEC report. That's that's certainly not chump change. The bottom line is that any chairman has the responsibility to raise money and they have to. They have to, and that requires going to big donors and and raising money from them, and and having a really solid grass roots fund raising them uh program with with social media and and mail and and so ultimately the chair the chair whoever it is, has to dig in and start start raising money and that's a big response. That's probably one of the biggest responsibilities of any chairman sure to do that.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: That actually leads to my next question, Dick. So we have Britta coming in. She I think she's trying to just say, hey, in the sake of transparency, here's the data, as I understand it. She put it out there. You know, I think people are going to read into it what they want. You know, there was It's easy to see that Dave Williams was paying himself through his consulting firm what I would call a salary for the last few months, which is not anything inappropriate. It's funny how it was documented. But you know, I think I think she was trying to just say, clear the errors. Here's where we're at now. Having said all that, Britta's goal is to get Republicans elected. Do you think that we are in a place in this state where Republicans can start to get some win in their sales and say, Okay, we're turning the page, we're moving forward. Can Britta go out and help raise money? And I guess second to that, Dick, do you think there's the candidates out there to inspire Republicans to donate.
Speaker 3: Well, this is the problem, Steve, is that we have a dramatically changed electorate from what it was as recently as ten years ago. And that's largely been driven by all the new people who moved here. Now that migration into the state has largely kind of flattened, but it was it was massive for a while. That's why we got the eighth congressional district, which you're certainly familiar with, familiar from Well County. And we essentially eight hundred thousand people moved here over about a fifteen year period, but largely the last ten that last ten year period, and these are the big chunk of them are younger, they're more liberal, and their social attitudes and unfortunately they are very they have been very anti Trump, and they greatly impacted the twenty the twenty sixteen election when Trump lost to Hillary Clinton by four points, When Trump losts to Biden in twenty twenty, in twenty twenty by fourteen points, he lost too, He lost to Hillary by four points in twenty sixteen, and then in twenty twenty four he lost to Paris by eleven And the bottom line is that those victories for Democrats and those presidential elections here in Colorado were driven by these new voters. So the question is are they just gone to us forever. I don't think they are, And I would point to you to the proposition ahh, property tax proposal that was on the ballot supported by every Democrat in Colorado in twenty twenty three, down in Flame by twenty points. So I think that tells us that a lot of these voters will vote are more conservative in they're economic out looks, and so that we have a chance of them in the future.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, by all the pulling out there, the younger voters on the on the scene, the ones that survived through the COVID era, if you will, Uh, there's there tending to vote way more conservative, and those people are in the voting age now. So hopefully that's where we're going to get to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and this legislature, my lord, can can it get any worse? I mean, every time I think it cannot get any worse, it does.
Speaker 4: Yeah, don't down.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly. And you know, it just seems to me at some point, Steve, we're going to hit a breaking point in Colorado where people are going to realize, you know, these people in the legislature are the ones who responsible for the constant living, for the crime, for the homelessness, for all the things that are for the fact that so many people that their education system is broken, and they've they've been in power, they have been in total power for so long, and then there could there will be a breaking point well occur this election cycle. I don't know, but I do think that Democrats make you feeling bolden that they can past anything on the part of us that they want to.
Speaker 2: Well, Dick, I appreciate you coming on at the start of the show. I know that your time is valuable. We're going to cut to a break, but thanks for being on with us, even if you weren't the most encouraging person out there, but there's still hope. Dick again, Thanks and you're listening to the Dankplas Show here on six point thirty Khi. We'll cut the break.
Speaker 5: And now back to the Dan Kaplis Show podcast.
Speaker 6: Also, a bill aimed at enhancing civil rights for Colorado immigrants heads back to the Senate after the House made some amendments yesterday afternoon. State Senate sponsors will now have to decide whether to accept the House changes or convene a committee to negotiate them. The bill would restrict agents from going into non public areas in places like hospitals, jails, and schools. It would also restrict what information local governments could share with the FEDS, including a person's immigration status.
Speaker 7: Going in depth, the immigration bill could bring more attention from the White House. The Trump administration already suing Colorado and Denver over their immigration policies.
Speaker 4: That lawsuit was filed just this past Friday.
Speaker 7: On top of that, President Donald Trump signed an executive order on Monday directing the US Attorney General and Homeland Security to identify what they consider to be sanctuary jurisdictions. Those jurisdictions could then lose federal funding.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the Dan Kaplis Show. You got well Kenny Sheriff Steve Riams sitting in the hot seat today. We led back in with that little news clip because it's talking about the thing that I think Republicans can truly win on in this state, and that's still the topic of a legal immigration and whether or not this state is in fact a sanctuary state, even though Governor Poulis repeatedly says this is not a sanctuary state. I live here, I work here in law enforcement. I've never known of a state to be more of a sanctuary state than this. When I first got here in the studio, sat down with Ryan and we were kind of going back and forth. And I think the thing that the Democrats are holding their hat on, especially Jered Poulis, is there's not one definite definition of what a sanctuary state is. But it's kind of one of those things. When you see it, you know what it is. And when you drive through Colorado, especially if you drive through Denver or Aurora, especially certain parts of Aurora, you know you're in a sanctuary state. There's no ifs ands or butts. You know that we are inviting a certain type of person to come live here illegally, and they are doing so in great numbers. So, having said all that, I'd like to invite all of you to call in text in let me know your thoughts on what you think makes a sanctuary state and is Colorado one of those places you can text in text start your text with Dan to five seven seven three nine, or you can call in three O three seven one three eight two fivey five. I love to interact with the caller, so again that's three oh three seven, one, three eight, two five five, And kind of to start things up, Alexa, one of the crowd favorites out there, she texts in share frames, there isn't much I respect about the Dems. However, Dems are like the Italian extended families. They may fight like haities internally, but externally they present a united front. Colorado and National Republicans always air their dirty laundry to everyone. I wish they could be rowing in the same direction instead of all this internal fighting. So sick of this, Alex, I couldn't agree more. That's kind of how we started the show off with. You know, hey, we got to get past this. And again, I think what Chairwoman Britta Horn did by kind of saying, all right, this is the starting point for my tenure, even if it is a little ways into that process. She's saying, this is the books I was handed. You guys can make your own judgment. I'm moving forward from here. At least that's what I hope the message is. And then how do we raise money, how do we get people elected? And most all, most of all, how do we bring this state back from the brink of pure disaster? I mean again, when I drive down to the studios each day when I'm covering for Dan, I get to see things that I don't see in my typical drives around Weld County. I mean, you might be surprised by this if you're a listener out there and haven't been to Weld County.
Speaker 4: We still uphold the rule of law.
Speaker 2: We still don't fit the definition of what a sanctuary state would be. We've very much pushed back on that, and so while Denver and Aurora may embrace that label, Weald County does not. Most of the cities in Weald County do not, the town's whatever you want to call them, the municipalities. We still believe in supporting Colorado citizens and doing so first to protect our state and not doing so secondarily to protect people who shouldn't even be in this state. But as we're talking about Senate Bill two seventy six, you know, the question is will the governor sign it, will he put his name to it, will he say this is what I believe in? And some of the things that have been outlined by different folks about this bill they're pretty shocking, but one I think the most shocking part, like We've already passed House Bill nineteen eleven twenty four in the state of Colorado that says local law enforcement cannot detain an illegal immigrant past their release date on behalf of ICE. We can't honor their quote unquote administrative warrants. That being said, there was never a provision that we couldn't have ICE come into the building. You know, if they did have some kind of legal reason to be there, they wanted to interview someone, we didn't have to treat them like second class law enforcement citizens. But Senebill two seventy six goes even farther than that. It says, not only can you not work with ICE in any fundamental way, but you can't even let them in your building. I mean, that's just that's such a slap in the face to what their mission is. And it's also a slap in the face to local law enforcement. We catch a guy, we get him convicted. Let's say his, he or she's time is up in the county jail. ICE has every reason to come get them and send them back to their country. They have a window of opportunity to do so, they get there before that person is supposed to be released. I can't even let them in my jail to do that in a secured facility so that no one gets hurt. Under this bill, I have to let that person go out onto the street and say good luck. Ice, see if you can catch them. I mean, that's just it's it's beyond the pale of what is stupid. You know, Denver's been doing this. On a few of the few occasions ICE has had to chase guys down, They've gotten people hurt in the process. That's what this bill is asking to become the norm for law enforcement. If that's not a campaign issue for Republicans to stand on, I don't know what is. Here's another text. It says Sheriff Steve, if I was going to create a sanctuary state, I do exactly what the DIMS have done. That's Steven little Tony's retired l e O. You hit the nail on the head, Steve. I mean, this is the definition of a sanctuary state.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: I know we've tried to claw back and say no, this can't happen, but it's here. It's here, folks. I'm just so frustrated. I'm tired of living in this in this make believe land of no sanctuary state, but seeing it slap me in the face every day.
Speaker 4: All Right, we're gonna go to break.
Speaker 2: When we come back, we'll have District Attorney Michael Rourke from welld County on and he can talk to you about some of these same issues. You listen to the Dan Caplis Show here on six point.
Speaker 4: Thirty k how.
Speaker 5: You're listening to the Dan Kaplis Show podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the Dan Caplis Show with well Kenny Sheriff Steve Raims sittting in the driver's seat today and on the phone with us. We've got the district attorney for my county, Weld County, out of the nineteenth Judicial District, Michael Rourke. How are you doing this afternoon?
Speaker 8: Hey, Sheriff, Good afternoon, Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 2: Hey, thanks for coming on. You know, we talked a little bit earlier, I guess last week at the end of the week about some ideas for the show, and you know, obviously there's some things that have developed over the weekend with the FEDS dropping a lawsuit on the state of Colorado, so we got to start with a little bit of that, and I know I didn't prep here for that But what do you think is there any chance of this federal lawsuit changing the tide here in Colorado on some of these sanctuary bills.
Speaker 8: And I sure hope so, Sheriff, because like we talked about, and I know we'll get into a couple of other topics, but I heard you're talking in the last segment about, you know, Colorado being a sanctuary state. Not only is it a sanctuary state, it's become a sanctuary for crime state. And certainly I think that the threat of this lawsuit, or the existence of this lawsuit specifically, I hope causes some reasonable minds to reconsider the policies that has the state headed in the direction of anti public safety, which you and I talk about all the time. Yeah, I sure hope.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 8: I don't know if it will actually make a difference in the long run, but I sure hope it does.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, there's always a way to set precedents, and I hate to see it have to happen through lawsuits, But at this point, I don't think there's any way of changing the tide from what our crazy legislature is doing. But you know, you hit a huge topic, and that's that Colorado has become a crime sanctuary. What does your docket look like in Weld County? Do you have enough prosecutors to even begin to try to tackle the amount of crime that the law enforcement contacts in and about World County.
Speaker 8: But let me give you a statistic that I think can help answer that question real quickly. On average a community of our size, you know, World County being roughly three hundred thousand people on average. Over the last decade or so, we've tried to a jury somewhere in the neighborhood of fifty to fifty five felony trials, which is a significant case load for my prosecutors, for your deputies, for police officers in the municipalities. So fifty five on average so far this year, including this week, we are already at thirty eight felony trials and it's May fifth. These are felony trials that are homicides, attempted murders, crimes against children, sexual assaults. These are cases that I think our public expects to be in trial. And that's five months, you know, not even five months, four months right into the year, and or we're you know, already sitting here at thirty eight.
Speaker 4: You're happy past.
Speaker 8: Your average exactly. Math is not my strong suit, but I'll work for it. But yeah, it is a massive problem that we're having right now, and we are all of us, as you well know, very incredibly busy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so a.
Speaker 2: Couple of topics. We have bail reform that kind of landed in our state a couple of legislative sessions ago, and a lot of people go, little, bail reform, What can that mean? I mean, you know, we don't want people being overly punished and held in jail if they shouldn't. What has bail reform actually done to your job and my job in a lot of ways? And try to explain that to the listeners what bail reform actually means?
Speaker 8: Sure, what bail form. The talking points for bail reform is, we don't want to keep somebody in jail simply because they can't afford financially to post a bond. Makes sense on fathe However, what I think that that talking point seems to ignore is that a judge a magistrate, after listening to an argument from a prosecutor and from the other side, is going to set a reasonable amount of bond based upon a defendant's criminal history. A defendant's prior failure to appear rate. And what we have seen is with the systematic reduction of bonds and the increase of the issue on sub personal recognizance bond, we are seeing the same repeat offenders over and over and over. Hit your jail, bond out, go back out onto our streets, create a new victim, create another crime, hit your jail again. And it is a massive revolving door. And so despite arguments from good public safety minded prosecutors to judges, because of some of the things the legislature has done to us, we have defendants who are getting back out on the street pre trial, committing new offenses and having multiple cases rack up while they are waiting for their first case go to trial. This is the same effort that we saw in Oregon. It's the same effort we saw in New York. And all of a sudden, the State of New York is rolling back bail reform because they realized it didn't work. It made us less safe as a community.
Speaker 2: Well, and it's making Colorado less safe, There's no doubt about it. I can throw a few names out there of individuals we've had to arrest twelve and thirteen times before we could ever get them to a trial on you know, those first couple of cases. And I'm sure you have names that stick in your brain for the same thing. So one other thing that you and I have discussed is the mental competency issues in the state of Colorado. And I can argue that there's a whole bunch of things that affect mental competency, but I think that's being used as a crutch right now. And I know this is a thing that burns you a hole in your gut, But talk to the listeners a little bit about what that mental competency status is doing to your ability to try criminals.
Speaker 8: Let me back up and give you one little piece to kind of set the stage. Sure, we have a massive backlog at the state level in terms of getting competency or insanity evaluations done and then efforts to restore defendance to competency.
Speaker 2: You mean the state's not doing its job? Is that what I just heard you say?
Speaker 8: Shock, It is what you heard me say. Yes, you're correct. And so therefore, the federal government had, the federal courts had to step in and put Colorado under a consent decree, which says that the State of Colorado will be fined if you don't hit certain benchmarks in order to in getting restoration proceedings or competency services being done in a more timely fashion for defendants. In response to that, what the legislature did is didn't give you more evaluators, didn't give you more competency restoration services individuals. In fact, they're cutting back on those individuals. What they did was they wrote a statute that took effect a couple of years ago and amended it a couple of times since then, which says, if you're charged with a certain level of offense and you're found to be incompetent, your charges are automatically dismissed. For other somewhat more significant charges, if you sit in your jail or are on restoration services for six months or one year and haven't been restored, your charges are dismissed. So what we're seeing is defendants who have three, four or five cases being dismissed. They go back out onto our streets, pull guns on individuals, stab other people. They come back into your jail, into my courtrooms, and now we are left with the case being dismissed again because there's a presumption that once you've been found and competent, you're going to be found and competent again.
Speaker 2: So it's just an easy pathway for someone to get basically a get out of jail free card. So all right, having said all that, what does that look like for I mean, what is the long term fix for that? Is there one without changing the law?
Speaker 8: I think that without changing the law that the answer. And I hate to say this because I am a good conservative steward of taxpayer dollars, it has to be funding additional, additional evaluators and treatment providers. Because we are not going to be able to legislate our way out of this. We have got to treat the problem where the problem exists, and that is with individuals with mental health issues that are causing them to commit these crimes over and over again, victimizing our communities.
Speaker 2: Board ends up in a and what we none of us want to be involved in, and that's a police shooting where suspect is killed or officers get hurt, or innocent people get hurt. And I think that is that's on the rise in the state of Colorado, and it has to be at least in part due to these same things.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, that's exactly right. And you know as well as I do. What you just hit on is exactly right. We have individuals who've been involved in officer involved shootings because of mental health issues. We charge them because they have survived that encounter with law enforcement, luckily, and we charge them. They are found incompetent. We can't restore them to competency in a timely fashion, and so the charges are dismissed. Again, this individual that I'm thinking of here in Greeley is back on our streets, law enforcement having to deal with that individual again.
Speaker 4: What could possibly go wrong? Well, we said exactly.
Speaker 2: I think in the state of Colorado, we've said time and time again, if you want to fix the mental health problem or mental health crisis we have here, you have to first admit that you have a crisis. But that's just like the issue with sanctuary st you have to admit that you've become one in order to get back off the brink. Michael, I know you're in your last term as district attorney. You've been there this year. You're going into your what nineth year? Is that correct?
Speaker 8: Actually I just started year yeah, okay, ten tier, So.
Speaker 2: It seems to me, since we're kind of looking on the horizon of maybe needing an attorney general candidate. You know you can't be the district attorney in world forever. I mean, you're done there. This would be a perfectly good time for you to announce that candidacy if you chose to.
Speaker 8: Suff I sure wish we would have talked about this on radio. You and I have talked about it off off record, and I am very happy where I'm at right now. I am very happy serving the wonderful citizens that you and I get to here in will County. And I'll figure out what I'm going to do with it at the end of my term.
Speaker 4: At the end of my term, that's fair enough.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, if you decide you want to break that news, I'm sure there'll be an opportunity in the future when I'm filling in for Dan again, and so we'll just schedule that somewhere down the road.
Speaker 8: But Michael Good, my good friend Steve Reams will be the first to know.
Speaker 2: Michael, I couldn't ask for a better partner in what we do in Welld County. You've been a great prosecutor and I know you'll continue to do that through the end of your term. Thanks for coming on the show. Thanks for educating us all a little bit about some of the hurdles that you're going through. And you know, if you want to leave us with a parting shot, what could Colorado do to say, all right, let's turn the tide. What do you think that one magic.
Speaker 8: Bullet is That one magic bullet is to get back to thinking, let's take care of and worry about public safety first, everything else second.
Speaker 2: That makes perfect sense to me. Michael, again, thanks for coming on. That's the Well County District Attorney, nineteenth District, nineteenth Judicial District Attorney, Michael Rourke. I'm sure at some point we'll hear that he's running for attorney general. But thanks for being on with us. We're going to cut to a break. You're listening to the Dan Kaplas Show here on six point thirty k how with Well Kenny Sheriff, Steve Reams.
Speaker 5: And now back to the Dan Kaplis Show podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the Dan Kaplas Show with Well Kenny Sheriff Steve setting in as the substitute today and of all the songs I thought I'd ever come back to on a radio show. That's not it, But I actually liked that song. That's got a little bit of a throwback there. While we were away at break. Got a few texts coming in, but I want to remind you our text number is five seven, seven three nine. Start your text out with Dan. Send in whatever you want. I'll do my best to answer it. A lot of good comments coming in also, you can call in three oh three seven one three eight two five five. The question of the day is is Colorado a sanctuary state? And I'll add this to it. If you think it's a sanctuary state, what's that thing that trips your trigger and says yep, we're a sanctuary state. Other than just you know the fact that police gets on the news and says no, we are not a sanctuary state when he looks into the camera and just bold face lies. But a few of the texts that come in says Steve, Colorado has a perfectly good, hardly been used prison up in Hudson that can hold a lot of illegal criminals. And I'm so glad that this text are sent it in. This is Dan from northern Colorado. He is absolutely correct, and believe it or not, the Trump administration is actually looking at that prison and trying to figure out how to get that thing reopened so that they can serve the western part of the United States here, Colorado, Idaho, Nebraska. And I know this because I happen to have been the one to plug the ownership group for that prison in with the Trump administration. And we're doing our best. I shouldn't say we. I'm not working on it anymore. I just connected the dots, but trying to get that thing open so that they do have a place other than just the facility down in Aurora, which is jam packed right now. The prison up in Hudson, I believe holds fourteen hundred people, so definitely could speed up the process if we can get that thing reopened. Another one here. Yes, Colorado is a sanctuary state, and I hope the people who deemed it that and help the illegals get here get prosecuted. Boy, that's no truer words have been spoken. And it looks like we got a collar on the line. We'll give give him just a second to get all their details out. While we're waiting on that, someone asked, Hey, do you know the status of the awful HB thirteen twelve. I just looked it up while we were at break. It looks like it went to the Senate at nine point thirty for floor work, whatever that means. So it's not to the governor's desk yet. I guess there's still hope that it could die a fiery death, but I don't think that's a very realistic view at this point. So we're gonna probably end up getting that thing on the governor's desk, and I don't think there's any chance that he doesn't sign it at this point. So who knows. Do we have our caller ready? Ryan, Yeah, it's all coming down to Kelly. Oh, Kelly probably got another call coming here. You're very popular. She's failing us, failing us f minus.
Speaker 4: That's the great she gets you.
Speaker 2: She's probably too busy having a conversation with the caller. Didn't didn't get the caller on the line. That's okay, keep going with the text, right, Yeah, we'll do that, it says sheriff. What needs to happen is for this new bill, Trump needs to pull all federal funds and let the state raise even more taxes so the Dems will leave him. We can vote this come out you know, that's actually pretty strategic. So we take away all the federal funds. The Dems taxes to death. They tax themselves out of control, and then they have to leave.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 2: That's pretty painful in the process though. On So we got Paul from Colorado Springs. Paul, what do you have to say to us?
Speaker 9: Well, I like to say I was born and raised in dem Colorado, around twenty years ago. I moved to Las Vegas, Nevada, relocated back two years ago. And I gotta tell you, I am discussing with the state. Yeah, okay, kevinar he's a joke, And I'll tell you why he's over here passing these guns laws. They're so worried about the gun laws, but they can't even protect their own state border. You're letting all these people in and you're worried about a gun law, but all these illegals that are coming in. And my other thing is you can't go and help the police, say iyes, okay, I understand that I don't agree with it, but why can't I break the law, go hide in the church in a school.
Speaker 4: Well, so, you know, absolutely no sense, that's a that's a great question.
Speaker 2: We've got kind of a cast system set up where if you're an illegal, it's almost like you get more provisions from the law than if you're a regular US citizen. I mean, it makes no sense. In your time away when you were in Nevada and then coming back, why the heck did you come back?
Speaker 9: Well, my mother's eighty seven years old. Okay, that's fair, laceship, and my son stayed here, you know, living in Nevada, and they all agree with men. And you know this is going to really get you. I'm a registered Democrat. I've been a Democrat my whole life, forty some years. You know, since you get out of high school, you register and you're sign up for the military. But it's just amazing how people here just don't see it. And you know, one other thing is Colorado is so high on affordable living, affordable housing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, where do you find it?
Speaker 9: Well, not only where you're correct, but my thing is, why don't you help people where they can afford the house?
Speaker 2: Well, you mean, get rid of some of the fees and taxes that they're killing us with in this state. Yeah, I can't imagine why that would be a good policy.
Speaker 9: But Paul belieb Well had one of the best mayors Oscar Goodman. If this if this mayor here wants to learn some go talk to the good ones in Las Vegas. She'll show you how to straighten it out.
Speaker 2: Fair enough, fair enough, Paul, thanks for calling in. I'm sorry you moved back to a state that kind of left its left its mind at the door. But uh, welcome back to Colorado. Nonetheless, and thanks for calling in.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 9: We're gonna change it.
Speaker 2: You bet all right. We're going to cut the brake when we come back. We'll have plenty of time to get to your text and your calls. Keep them coming in again. That's five seven seven three nine. Start your text with Dan or three O three seven one three eight two five five call in. Let's let's have a conversation. Let's see where we can get this thing going. You're listening to Steve Reims covering for Dan kaplis here on six thirty k how we'll be back right after this break