Speaker 1: Multiple people in my family clean my father, are veterans.
Speaker 2: And the troops that have been de war and now they're back.
Speaker 3: And think and be grateful for their service.
Speaker 2: Sacrifice, love for their country, just unselfishness, all that they do for us.
Speaker 1: There are some people in this country who take extraordinary steps to provide for the freedom and security.
Speaker 2: We forget that those people exist.
Speaker 1: We know them as the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard. They call themselves soldiers, seals, rangers, airmen, sailors, devil dogs, and so much more. We call them fathers, brothers, sons and husbands, mothers, daughters, sisters and wives. We call them friend and neighbor. These veterans answered the call. Now we answer Theirs are the best our country has to offer.
Speaker 2: And we love them.
Speaker 1: Today, we honor them and we serve them. David Malsby is your host, and he welcomes you to this community of veterans, as together we are building.
Speaker 2: The road to hope, and indeed we are glad to have you along. On a Sunday, it's not just any Sunday. It is Easter Sunday, the greatest day of the year for those of the Christian faith, the resurrection of Jesus Christ, the new life that we have represented in that, all that was one, in that the greatest victory the world has ever known. Happy Easter to everyone out there, Glad to have you along as you listen to Road to Hope Radio wherever yere listening, If you're listening through the KPRC the nine to five oh on the AM dial, thank you for doing that while you are driving on your way to your Easter brunch, you're on your way home from your Easter brunch, however that works out for you and your family. Those of you who listen through the magic of podcasts, thank you so very much for doing that. Wherever you listen to podcasts, just look for Road to Hope Radio. There we are coming up, I think on the eighth year. If I remember right, I should look at that up. But there's a lot of shows. It's just the point, there's a lot of shows there. If you'll go wherever you listen to podcasts, fine Road to Hope Radio, hit the subscribe button. You will get that show as it downloads each and every single week. After we broadcast on KPRC on Sunday afternoon. We truly do appreciate you subscribing very much. Appreciate you sharing the show. You never know who might come into contact with who we are. Maybe they want to help, maybe they are the one who needs the help. It's absolutely free to do so you can do it in half a second and you might be a part of saving somebody's life, So it's worth it. Just Road to Hope Radio, hit the subscribe button and then share social media. Friends, neighbors, ex neighbors, friends, ex friends, have whoever you never know, please share. Big thank you to our show sponsors last this opportunity to spend a little time with you each and every week. A Cory Diamond and Design Aco r I A Corey Diamond and Design two eight one four eight two forty seven fifty five, Billy and Connie stagn are going to take great care of you. They'll be friends for life. Hey, if you're going to buy something special for that someone special, you want to do it with someone you trust. Also is excellent added bonus if you can do it with someone who shares your values. Every dollar you spend is a vote for values. So A Corey Diamonds and Design and Friends would oopsteam dot Com because well we all have those moments. Oopssteam dot com two eight one eight two two zero five six one. We keep them on speed dial at our place. Had them out this week. Republic Grand Ranch. When it's time to buy that piece of property for your dream home, you want it in a dream location, that's Republic Grand Ranch dot Com in the studio with us on this Easter Sunday. Got Brandon back. Good to see you, brother, good to see Want to reintroduce yourself to the world.
Speaker 4: Absolutely. My name is Brandon Hartsburg. I'm a retired staffs aren't from the United States Army and lead mentor Camp Hope. She is happy to be here.
Speaker 2: How long has it been that you've been on staff? Now?
Speaker 4: It's going on four long years, four good years. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: For good years. So what does a lead mentor do? What's his day? Well, I don't know. Every day is a different day, but it just gives up folks an idea.
Speaker 4: We pretty much run the whole campus and we save lives every day. Now, we just managed the mentors and we oversee a lot of scheduling training. We just make sure our mentors are doing their job at the same time. We interact with the residents too, and if there's if there's issues that come up or situations they can't you know, we get involved a lot more emails, a lot more counselor stuff. Just we try to keep the mentor completely focused on taking care of his guys and working with them, so we try to protect him from everything else and just make sure all that stuff squared away.
Speaker 2: Very cool. Grateful that you're there, too, Grateful for what you're doing. So blessing. I'm going to te one up for you here probably the next segment, give you a chance to go on a little bit of a assist Yeah, sophomore points. Yeah, give you a chance also on the show with us Today's guy. That's in our program right now at Camp Hope, which by the way, it is interim housing program of the PTSD Foundation of America. We bring veterans in from every era of combat. We have veterans from every branch. We haven't had space forcehet but it's coming. It'll happen with these days, but anyway, combat related post traumatic stress. The program is designed to be six to nine months in length. Some take a little bit longer than that, based on a number of issues circumstances. But the point of that simply is it's not a quick let's sit around the camp fires and kumba and then everything's good. It is an intensive program. It's all at zero cost to the veteran or their family. But I want to introduce you to Lawrence Lornt. You want to introduce yourself to the world. Aye, there's a chance, man, jump on a go for it.
Speaker 5: My name is Lawrence Brave, Born and raised Atlanta, Georgia. I served ten years in the US Army down at Fort Stewart, third Infantry Division, went to a RAQ, served there for three years of my life. Came back with some scars, came back with some wounds that I didn't even know I had, you know, went through two marriages and my second marriage now got two beautiful children. And it is just time for me to find my path in life and get my.
Speaker 3: Life back with God and see what else holds. You know.
Speaker 5: I hold dear to my heart and let it out and be who I used to be before the trauma set into my life.
Speaker 2: And we're gonna get into a little bit of that a long way. We're gonna have to rag a little bit Georgia it's just I was like, oh my gosh. Really. Anyway, as we do go through the course of the show, we want you to know and understand some of these things can be triggering. Not the Atlanta, Georgia part, but some of the serious stuff. Eight seven seven seven one seven seventy eight seventy three is our Combat Trauma Support Line Answer twenty four to seven by a combat vet, someone who's been through our program received additional training. A combat vet will answer the phone when you call eight seven seven seven seven seventy eight seventy three. We'll be right back with more of Road to Hope Radio. How often do you seem to have the bat film these days?
Speaker 4: You know, I kind of miss having it as often as we used to. I used to love having it like every week, sometimes three days a week.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: We had this old like iPhone six and you just walk in your office. There's only a few mentors and we all shared it and it just end up on your desk and you're like, what the heck? I just had it for three days. But today about every once a month, so it's a lot better. I got a lot more staff and it's fantastic answering that thing. But sometimes it's in the middle.
Speaker 2: Of your work day.
Speaker 4: If you deal with a you know, a crisis online. You know, with the guy, it's it's a tough maybe where's you out.
Speaker 2: Yeah. We used to carry him a sign them for two weeks at a time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because that's good training. That's waiting for me.
Speaker 2: Because there was three of us. So it's just kind of the way it worked out. Welcome back to Road to Hope. Ray, You're glad to have you along again. Reminder, wherever you listen to podcasts, just look for Road to Hope Radio hit that subscribe button. We would truly truly appreciate it. It is Easter Sunday, Resurrection Day. To me, that's the greatest, most important day in the history of the world, the resurrection of Jesus Christ, conquering death, hell, the grave, victory signs sealed and delivered paid for one hundred percent, and our organization we are a faith based and christ centered organization. With that said, no one coming into the organization or any way, shape or form part of the organization has to agree to some sort of creed or has to agree to even be Christian. Just we've had a little bit of everything come through our doors. But there's so many lessons from Scripture and certainly lessons from Christ, and the greatest lesson of all a lesson from the day of New Life. That's what we get to celebrate today. And I'm going to dip into the mail bag here for just a second. And then Brandon, I'm going to ask you a question that don't overthink. It's it's in your wheelhouse, all right, so you'll be good to go. But I want to dip into the mailbag. I received a message last Sunday. Actually, I don't know if you'd remember this. I won't say his name on Eric because I haven't asked this permission. I'll take later see if you're remember him. This veteran came into Camp Hope in twenty twenty one, so if I remember correctly, it was Fall twenty one and exited in May twenty two. But here's what he said twenty twenty one was I was at Camp Hope. Now five I'm in Orlando being celebrated for national MVP, top three percent of the company in my new career and finance. By the way, it's one of the top four banks in America. It's a major, major, bank and he just hit top three percent. Anyway, I would have never had this opportunity or found this career, which I truly love, if it wasn't for Camp Hope giving me the time and help I needed to get not just my life back, but a life I never imagined for myself. I love that. I love that he said it that way, a life I never imagined for myself. Just wanted to share a good story today. Thanks for all y'all have done. A life you never imagined. We see that a lot of Camp and I think today, you know, Easter new Life. I think that represents it just perfectly. So tell me your version of what new life looks like for you coming through Camp Hope and what you've been able to do since then.
Speaker 4: Oh man, you did not make it easy, okay deep Okay, So first off, that story kind of hits me because you know, there's so many guys, including myself, that went through this program that had that that experience, and I've heard that story and I feel like that's why I work there right to give another man that opportunity it was given to me, and for me, the change is managing my PTSD. It's not gone away, but I can function. I can go to restaurants, I can be in crowds. I've even started two step in. I go out the country bars.
Speaker 3: Oh I'm so.
Speaker 4: I mean it's good for me, right, absolutely, new experiences. And I mean there's there's the the givens once you get your life together and you really heal from this stuff like the finances and the credit in the car. That's all the good stuff. But there's relationships, like unbelievable relationships with just men and women. Friends. Just I got a host of friends. I got a fellowship where I'm safe, I'm protected. You know, they get me. And I mean I don't feel depressed every day. You know, I'm not using drugs. I'm not trying to kill myself. That that success today is really being a father to my son. You know, I put him through a lot when I got out, and he just he got the he got the raw deal, tell you the truth of Dad's PTSD. So those those are the blessings and it's just new life. I think different, I act different, I talk different. My kiddo actually believes in God today because he saw God work in me and he had trouble with it, and he's believing in science and like, but he saw an evident change, like there's something to this god thing. So for me, that's that's the new creation. And I mean, people don't recognize me from my past. It's fantastic and I love that part of it. I don't want them to see that old man who I was before.
Speaker 2: You know, I would like, just for another minute, if you don't mind not to rehash Brandon's life prior to Camp Hope. That's not the point of this. But it was not pleasant. Will we always say this about guys coming in and no one comes in on a winning streak, So I would give you this to another one up for you. There's somebody out there listening that's struggling with whether it's PTSD, depression, whatever, they're struggling. And my thing is, I hear these stories so many times, and I hear of the struggles and whether it's suicide attempts or jail and legal issues and broken relationships and all that stuff that comes along with it, and all that train wreck that goes on for years sometimes before they finally go get some help. Whether it's Camp Hope or wherever, it doesn't matter, just all that happens between the trauma and the time I actually go get help to deal with it. What would you say to that guy that's in the middle of that right now and he's scared the death, to pick up the phone, to make the call.
Speaker 4: Fight through it. Just call back on your military experience, call back on your deployments. I promise you've been through things in your life. Pull from that face the fear, call someone, reach out. It will change your life. There is hope, There is many men that you can relate to. I have relief from it. And I thought I was screwed for life, right I got PTSD, I got a TBI, got this blast, you know, I got all these other issues. I want to kill myself. I'm angry all the time. I don't fit into society. That's how I felt. But once I got help, it was a process and a journey. But I just I encourage you to reach out and it. Just take that first step and just just trust the process, because it can't get any worse. If your where I was right now, and you're setting in that pit of misery, in that whole of darkness, why not give it a try. Reach out?
Speaker 2: And it is difficult, I think for many I've heard many say it's the most difficult thing they ever did. But when you think, we're back to Easter here for a second. If Easter is the greatest day in the world, and it represents the new life, and that's what we want. It's what you just talked about in your own personal experience, your new life. That's a post getting help from your combat trauma. You don't get there without first there being it's commonly known as Good Friday. There's no resurrection without the crucifixion. Nobody wants the crucifixion. Nobody wants to surrender. But you want the victory, you have to surrender. And that's so backwards for you military guys, but it's the way it goes with Jesus. Jesus everything he taught was backwards what the world thinks. If you want to be first, you gotta be last. You want to serve, you gotta want to be served, you gotta serve. It's just the way it is with him. But yeah, it's got to be a there's got to be a daya surrender. You gotta I give up. My way is not more cutting it. Pick out the phone eight seven seven seven one, seven, seventy eight, seventy three the website because we have not only not everybody needs Camp Hoope. I gotta say that not everybody needs Camp Hope, but we do have support groups. We have support groups for family members, law enforcement, first responders. All that information is online PTSD post traumatic stress Disorder PTSDUSA dot org, all free. We'll be right back with more Road Hope Radio, and we welcome you back to Road to Hope Radio. David Malsby Here, we got Brandon and it starts the Army Vet lead mentor Camp Hope Lawrence, my State's Army VET current resident program at Camp Hope. Lawrence met you know a little bit about you. Don't know your whole life story, but what I do know of you is post combat post PTSD diagnosis in some of the trouble to come along with that introduced me to pre combat Lawrence.
Speaker 5: Oh wow, pre combat Lawrence was a lot different. I was very outgoing. I was the class clown when I was in high school.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: The whole thing was about me even joining the military is my mom. You know, I grew up in a very traditional, strict home. My mom would ground me if I made less than eighty five the report card.
Speaker 2: Because she was a Georgia Tech Gut graduate where you grounded.
Speaker 3: Up, Yes, I was.
Speaker 5: She grounded me a lot. I didn't do the high school parties. It was just sports in schoolwork. She kept me safe, though, I will say that she kept me safe from a lot of the outside world. I think that was a big problem in my life because I was so sheltered growing up in a broken home and then having just my mom and having her as my guidance counselor. You would say she protected me from everything, like so sheltered, like you see in the movies.
Speaker 3: Everybody like that show that.
Speaker 4: Sheltered parent, and she like wrap you and bubble rap before you went out. She wasn't that bad. I know.
Speaker 5: I got my hands smashed at a soccer match in high school and she come running out in the field.
Speaker 4: I'm like, go away, go away. That's like almost close to the ball.
Speaker 2: Rack. Always her curfew in high school, well as.
Speaker 5: A kid, it was until the street light came right, and then in high school, well she would say come in. I'd have to stay in after dinner, but I'd sneak back out through the window.
Speaker 2: Oh there we go.
Speaker 3: But Yeah, she was.
Speaker 5: Very inspirational in my life pre army, but she sadly passed away when I decided to go from the reserves to active duty in two thousand and eight. So yeah, that was pretty traumatic.
Speaker 2: While you were in after your first apployment.
Speaker 4: Yes, before your second. Yes.
Speaker 2: So you mentioned sports, and you mentioned in soccer, which I think is a sin. But anyway, we'll talk about that later. What was your sport?
Speaker 5: Well, soccer was one, but then I also played football and baseball as well.
Speaker 4: Okay, soccer even a sport in Texas.
Speaker 2: I think it's like punishment.
Speaker 4: Running up and down constantly cross country.
Speaker 2: You're doing. No one ever scores, like what is the point?
Speaker 4: I like baseball. It was intended to and in one inning and it could flip exactly a score, a run after run.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a great soccer game is one Nils like, no, no, thank you, I'm I'm.
Speaker 3: It's exciting nobody.
Speaker 2: It's that big net over there. Come on, it's a big net too, Like quick, can't somebody on the net?
Speaker 4: You know a game? That's fine, it's hockey, even if they oh.
Speaker 2: Much so NHL Live. I don't think there's anything like it, and I you know, I've never played hockey in my life. I'm a baseball guy. But live NHL.
Speaker 4: That's exactingly sport, very nascily you know.
Speaker 2: Well, I remember the first game I went to. Uh, people on the front row are just banging on the glass screaming for blood on the ice, that they were not going to be happy until there's blood on the ice, Like that's this is this is a fun sports. Yeah, okay, baseball football, which was your best football?
Speaker 3: Football was definitely my best baseball.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just filled in that void so I didn't have to go home look up time.
Speaker 2: Yes, what was your position?
Speaker 3: I was a wide receiver.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's why I've got humongous legs for a skinny guy.
Speaker 2: Decent hands, Oh yeah, I was.
Speaker 3: I could catch anything back then.
Speaker 5: I don't know about now I touched the football in a couple of years, but yeah, back then, I was running probably in high school. I think I ran like a four nine, So it was I was pretty fast and had handed very sticky fingers.
Speaker 3: To catch a football. You would say.
Speaker 5: Even had a referee come look at my gloves one time to think that I had glue on my gloves in a high school match.
Speaker 3: He did.
Speaker 4: He's yes, he think he could catch a baby. Like, let's say you were just hanging out and this woman was about to have a baby and just deliver it. Do you think with those hands you could deliver a baby?
Speaker 5: Oh yes, sure, I protected my daughter going down twenty flight of stairs in an instant football.
Speaker 2: There you go. Your hands. Cut some jambalaya this week at Campo.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, it was delicious.
Speaker 2: We had a group of folks out from Amigy Bank and they painted a house. Uh the inside one of the houses is being refurbished right now. Did some inventory in the storage and some dude from Amigy is legit from Louisiana. I didn't get to eat any but I saw a lot of smiles on a lot of faces, and everybody said, that's one of the best, if not the best, they've ever had.
Speaker 4: Such a good thing.
Speaker 2: Cool, that's so good.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's a big bank and they for them to come out and do that paint a house, I mean, let me just take a time out and go paint a house and cook for these people and go through the supply room. And they were all over our campus just fantastic.
Speaker 2: And they had they had as much fun as the guys did. Eating the gym be life. Yeah, they were thrilled to death to be there. They're like, thank you for having us volunteer course, if you worked at the bank, I don't want to get out every now and then too, I'll paint a house. Yes, sign me up for that.
Speaker 4: Probably make a lot of money too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they had a great time, but it was great to see them. And I mentioned that because we do have a lot of companies that different employee groups within a company might come out and do some volunteer work at Camp Hope. There are so many opportunities to do that. And yes, you do get to have some interaction. It's obviously not free for all at our place, but you will have some opportunity and have some interaction with some of those in our program and certainly with our staff who are graduates of the program. So it's a great opportunity for you to support what happens at Camp Hope and supporting our combat veterans, but also do something it's very meaningful. It's it's the primary way to two overcome some of your own issues. I have people ask me from time to time like they're going through a tough time or struggle. They're in a dark place for whatever reason. Maybe it's results of their own choices, maybe it's things out of their control. But they're just in a funk and can't quite seem to get a way out. And I'll have them ask me, what do you do? How do you get out of this? And will I always say look around for somebody you can help. There's always somebody you can help. And there's something selfish to it because I know when you do it, it's going to make you feel good. Well, that's not the worst thing in the world to feel good like. There's an know that's not a sin. I used to be taught it was, but it's not when you're doing it the right way and doing the right thing some legal, moral, you know, ethical. Uh, find somebody else to help. So you know, for your your group, you're you're looking for team team building opportunities. Come volunteer at Camp Hope. You not only impact a lot of veterans lives, but you'll impact your fellow employees. So just another way to encourage folks PTSDUSA dot org. All right, so your mom you mentioned she wasn't happy when you transferred from reserve to active. Yes. So was she for you joining the reserves? Oh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, she because I grew up in a very poor family. So she of course wanted me to go to college like her. But she knew the only way I could go to college, you know, go join the military, get your mond yep, And so I did. I completed basic training two months before the Twin Towers got hit, and she kind of changed her tune after that because you know, we were still kind of peace time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, before nine to eleven.
Speaker 3: But you know, I was eighteen years old.
Speaker 5: I was gung ho about it, you know, patriotic, you know what what happened that day.
Speaker 3: I was ready to go. But yeah, she wasn't, of.
Speaker 2: Course not, and I don't think any mother.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so hell it was. So your first appointment was oh six, yes, so are you? And all right?
Speaker 5: First employment was there thirteen months where though we were in over Ramadi hit vict you know byop mostly and then we went to the Green Zone because of my mos So I was all.
Speaker 3: Over the place.
Speaker 2: So in west won't mean thing to anybody listening. So just what were you doing?
Speaker 3: I was a ninety one Juliet so I was a chemical weapon.
Speaker 4: Specialist.
Speaker 5: So I was always attached to either Ranger Regiment or Special Forces Unit or EOD, you know, always checking everything to make sure you know there wasn't chemicals or a chemical weapon. Always had an decon apparatus on nearby stand by in case something bad happens. I can save people's lives, kind of like a chemical version of a medic kind of situation.
Speaker 4: Got you sounds pretty dangerous.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, there's no stress in that job. Yeah, and then whatsoever. All right, We're gonna have to take one more break and we'll come back and finish up with chatting with Lawrence and Brandon. Glad to have you long, hang hang on tight. We'll right back with more of Road Hope Radio, and we welcome you back Road to Hope Radio on this Easter Sunday. Those of you listening on the KPRC nine to five OHO and the AM dialar here in Houston, Texas. Those of you listening through the Magical Podcast, thank you for listening and for sharing talking with Lawrence and Brandon, both the United States Army Veterans Combat Veterans PTSD and Lawrence, We've laughed a lot, and I don't want to get too dark here. But let's talk a little bit about as I mentioned, welcome, nobody comes to camp Hope on a winning streak. So first apployment's six rather lengthy one. For your second when you lose your mother, second employment, rather lengthy one. Not a pleasant experience. There's a lot of trauma in war that can go on, and said, we'll just leave it there for now. You bring some of that home. Did you recognize something was going on early or did it take a while.
Speaker 3: Oh, it definitely took a while.
Speaker 5: Like I didn't even notice it even up until about two maybe three years ago, until my wife had pointed it out.
Speaker 2: And what was she pointing out?
Speaker 5: How distant I was becoming isolating myself.
Speaker 3: The biggest thing she said.
Speaker 5: Was I was there physically, but I wasn't there mentally or emotionally for her and our kids. And when she told me that, I you know I that back then, I was just like, No, there's no way, there's you know, there's always somebody worse off than me.
Speaker 3: You know, it's just my emotions. They'll go away, you know, I'll I'll be who I was before.
Speaker 5: It's just temporary, And it wasn't This was a couple of years ago. Yeah, she told me. It hit start hitting around late twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: How many children you have, Yeah, we have two.
Speaker 3: A son and a daughter, Aspen and Barrett.
Speaker 5: Held Aspen will be seven in June, Happy birthday baby. And my son, Barrett will be thirteen in November. And then my wife just had her birthday last month, so she's looking good.
Speaker 3: Love you, Haley.
Speaker 2: Isolation is one of those those are the big red flags. When someone starts to isolating you, somebody better reach out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and get some help.
Speaker 5: She told me numerous times that I needed to get help, you know, more than just the VA. She felt like I needed to go to a program that you know, specifically helps veterans in that area, because you know VIA they deal with so many people. Did you go to the VIA, Yes, I went to them numerous times, but it was just I just felt like I didn't get anything from it. It was just like, you know, answer these questions and then okay, teleconference over.
Speaker 4: I had a bunch of drugs from the VAY.
Speaker 2: Did they diagnose you?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: With that? Did they do anything or just say here's what you got?
Speaker 5: They basically said, here you have PTSD along with depression and anxiety. You know, here's some medication, and you know your therapist will reach out to you once a month teleconference, and that was it, so not really ever in person getting you know, and it just festered inside of me more and more every day, and my PTS just got worse to the point where I didn't even know who I was anymore. And it affected my marriage and my life with my children, and man, it takes a toll on you.
Speaker 2: I'm a firm believer that's it's not not the cast blame on anybody. It's just the VA is overwhelmed. There's no there's no two ways about it. But I think the diagnosis, the writing of multiple prescriptions, which are all chemicals that you're now putting into your body that are designed to change things. Right, and we'll talk to you on camera in a month, it's like, well, what happens during that month because all those chemicals are starting to go to work and they are changing things. And I'm a firm believer. That's why we end up losing so many veterans to whether it's overdose or suicide. We're unnecessarily losing them because they're constantly getting either a change in the cocktail of medications or a change in dosage, and well let's try this, well let's try that, Like, well, this is a human being. What are we just throwing stuff around for? And then we're going to see in a month. I just it's got to be a better way. I'm firm believer there's a better way. But so you're diagnosed a couple of years ago.
Speaker 5: Wish twenty fifteen is oh, they diagnosed, and you know, they had me on zol off and all kinds of other things.
Speaker 2: How long did you stay trying with the VA.
Speaker 5: I think fifteen all the way up to about twenty eighteen after my daughter was born. And then I was just like, you know what, it's not helping, you know.
Speaker 2: Could you just stop the medication? Okay? And no counseling or no.
Speaker 5: I just I gave it all up because it was I felt like it wasn't working.
Speaker 2: Usually something happens that spurs someone to decide to code to camp hope for six to nine months of their life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, call that like our d day.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was.
Speaker 5: It was a day of reckoning for me. My wife actually found you guys. The company we work for is actually based here in Houston, and she came out here in the early February for the manager's meeting, and she knew someone that had came through here before and he had told her, you know, hey, I think you should have send Lawrence there. I think it would really help him and benefit him. And so she called me up and was like, Hey, would you go to Camp Hope? And I didn't even think about it at that point in my life. I was like, yes, I'll go.
Speaker 2: You haven't been here long, you're still pretty early in the program. You've made it through blackface, So yeah, that's nice. It's really early in your program. So I hate to even ask, but yeah, can you tell a difference yet, Like just when you wake up in the morning, is there a difference in it's a new day, it's a new opportunity.
Speaker 5: I can say without a doubt, yes, we did, you know, constructive criticism yesterday. And so, you know, all the peers were like, you know, Lawrence, when you came here, you were depressed, you were sad, you were so focused on the things that you did wrong in your marriage and before your trauma from war. And they're like, now, dude, you walk around with a smile on your face, You're hugging everybody, you're shaking hands, you're always helping others. Even my peers were like, you're doing an amazing job already. And I'm six and a half weeks in.
Speaker 2: Good Oh.
Speaker 4: I was just thinking.
Speaker 2: I was so I smiled. The smile is one of the first telltale signs for me. When I see somebody begin to smile, something's working.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the light's clicking on. Yeah, it's fantastic.
Speaker 2: They're doing the work.
Speaker 4: You can see isolation. I'll tell you anything about isolation. Isolation when you're a veteran and you're isolated when you get out, you were in such a dark place this whole but you're comfortable there. It's such a hard like when we're talking about reaching out for help, it's so hard to get out of that. And when you're in the military, you got this tribe. You get so close to other human beings more than most people ever wield their whole life. And I feel like if you've never had that, you don't really know what it is. But if you lose that, it's like a piece of your soul's gone. So that brotherhood's gone. You know, you don't know what you're missing if you don't got it. But once you've had that, So when they have that fellowship again at Brotherly Love and they're connected, they belong, they feel a part of that's usually when that smile kicks on, right, it's like a light like you just in the dark and you flip the light on.
Speaker 2: Well, I can't think both of you guys enough for being here today. It's the fastest hour of my week, every single week. It's just like, how in the world are we already done? But then both of you guys, dude, keep doing the work. Yeah, keep doing the work. Don't don't stop. Don't stop, Yeah, don't stop because I want to. I want to take the shortcut. Their short coats don't work. Nope, Complete, complete what you've begun again. PTSDUSA dot org for all information about our program at Camp Hope as well as our support groups for veterans for family members. Everything gets zero charged to the veteran or to their family. It's a it's a great easter. It's a great day to put the bottle down, to put the pills down, pick up the phone and call eight seven seven seven to one, seven seventy eight seventy three, You won't regret it. Thanks for joining us, looking forward to being with you again next week for more of Road to Hope Radio