Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: That's right, Coffee and Company fuel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven to ninety.
Speaker 3: Make sure you keep Thornton's in mind. You're gonna need to put fuel in your.
Speaker 2: Car unless you have one of those electric vehicles, which they are becoming more and more popular, but many of you still use gasoline.
Speaker 3: And you can get it at Thornton's.
Speaker 2: And yes, you can get it at a lot of places, but you won't have the refreshing Awards membership where you're gonna save money every time you get gased.
Speaker 3: So sign up.
Speaker 2: It's free, it's easy to do, download the app, and I believe that you will be happy that you did.
Speaker 4: Thornton's is so adaptable. I could see them having some electronic charging stations coming up in the next game.
Speaker 2: You know what they might even And I just don't realize it, to be honest with you, because I mean, it would make sense if they do.
Speaker 3: I mean, because that's not that uncommon.
Speaker 2: In fact, uh, there has to be all kinds of spots that are popping up everywhere because the the growth and really, I mean it's mostly Tesla and uh, those cars look like super cool. But I don't know if I could ever I mean, I don't know if I would ever need one or want one, But like, I do think they're cool.
Speaker 3: It's just just not for me.
Speaker 4: I think they look the cyber truck in person is so cool. It looks like a dufest design online. But like, I've started to see them a lot more around the city and I look at them and.
Speaker 3: Oh, as cool as hell.
Speaker 4: They're they're tanks, dude, They're awesome. But everybody that everyone just has a problem with Elon Musk and they just think that I mean, I guess he is a mastermind behind all of it. But they do look pretty cool. They're futuristic. We're going into a minimalistic society nowadays, and it just it's just it's just a car. There's nothing fancy about it. But I've seen people get them wrapped where they have cool uh, like where they have cool designs on them, and they're pretty bad ass.
Speaker 2: I remember I saw I saw one for the first time over the summer. I guess it was actually closer towards the Bring, and I was when I was traveling to Arkansas. We stopped in Missouri and stayed in a little town and there were a couple of them were together, I guess two people that had them and and I mean, it's time maybe, but it looks just so awesome and just something like something you've never seen before that you I mean, I was kind of in all just like staring like that looks like a spaceship kind of thing.
Speaker 4: They're like halfway like indestructible to you.
Speaker 2: And I'm sure look before, you know, if we live a long life, I would imagine that by the time we're getting closer to ending these long lives, they'll be everywhere. Like that's just kind of that's probably gonna be, How're yep, no doubt. All right, So we've got a couple of basketball games tomorrow that I know folks around here are are interested in, and really, you know, not a whole lot to gain for either team this weekend, and certainly a lot to lose, given uh, how the schedule sets up.
Speaker 3: But obviously the super.
Speaker 2: Bowl is coming up on Sunday, and we'll get back into that a little bit later on. I want to talk about some of the prop bets and and really just sort of what what appears to be most likely to play out here and in the Super Bowl. I can't really and I'm sure I'm just blanking on it, but I was thinking about it during the break. Have we got us? Have we had a Super Bowl result in recent years that like really stunned us because I feel like, more often than not, when we go in, we know, like when's the less time, like the overwhelming favorite? And really, I guess there are many overwhelming favorites. But like currently, let's see, like, do you know what the current spread is right now?
Speaker 4: Is it's still one and a half two, It's still one and a half right now.
Speaker 2: According to DraftKings it is Kansas City minus one and a half. So again, like, nobody's the overwhelming favorite. But the Chiefs are the are the betting favorite, and I believe they are. They're the team who most people think will win, even if they don't want it to happen. So you know what I was getting at is I think NFL teams, even though it's the ultimate stage, it's the biggest event in sports, and it's a chance to really, if you're an pack player, kind of change your legacy. If you're a part of a winning Super Bowl team. I mean that's a big deal. So despite all that, these teams usually come in are the same teams they've been all year, right, I mean maybe they maybe they don't have a good game necessarily, but I think for the most part, you kind of know what you're going to get from teams once you get to the Super Bowl, and I would imagine it's going to be a competitive game. And in those situations, guess who's really good in close competitive games down the stretch The Chiefs and Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 4: So I would like to think that the last shocker would probably be twenty seventeen when the Eagles finally won it just because they beat the Patriots.
Speaker 3: Shocker, it doesn't matter, I see what you did?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean shocker, Honor cowk Brunner.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Conn, I don't know her.
Speaker 4: But I would have I would have to say the Eagles just because it was it was Nick Foles, yeah right?
Speaker 3: What about the Rams one? Who did they beat the Bengals? That's right?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And that was that was both well I mean sold yes exactly.
Speaker 2: And and and another thing is that the like the Rams were, they were the better team and it wasn't as big of a surprise that they were there, so when they did win, it was like, yeah, I guess it makes sense that the Bengals finally ran out of gas.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I can't.
Speaker 2: I mean the last like real big shocker that I remember in the Super Bowl as far and really there aren't that many like wow, can you believe that happened? Because very rarely do you have a team that randomly gets to the Super Bowl. They're usually pretty good. I mean, the Falcons had a good year and made it all the way there, and then of course they remembered for the ultimate choke job. We were in we were watching something that I thought was gonna gonna end up being a real overwhelming result because again the Patriots were getting handed to them.
Speaker 3: And then then one so, uh, I think it'll be competitive in.
Speaker 4: The Giants one where they beat the undefeated Patriots helmet catch.
Speaker 3: So that was the one I was going to go back to.
Speaker 2: But I was trying to think before then, and maybe this is just how I remember it because I was so disappointed. But when the Saints beat the Colts, Peyton and the Colts were great that year, and you know, and the Saints were. The Saints were also good, but you know, you had the you had the Colts coming off of their first Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: Just what a couple of years before that?
Speaker 1: Hmm?
Speaker 3: Maybe it was was it the year before that the Colts because they want it in.
Speaker 4: Two thousand and seven, right, and then it was it was two thousand. It was two thousand and nine that that, so, yeah, it was two thousand and seven. I can't remember.
Speaker 2: So that's what the freaking Philip Rivers and the Chargers beat them in in the playoffs in two thousand and seven and also two thousand and eight, and let's.
Speaker 3: See what year did they win at all?
Speaker 2: It's so it's listed as two thousand and six, two thousand and six, right, yeah, when they beat the Bears and it was the next yeah, so then they had they had two straight years losing to the Chargers because Philip Rivers had had our number.
Speaker 3: I hated that guy.
Speaker 2: And then it was in two thousand and nine when they lost to the Saints. And again like again that.
Speaker 4: Hank basket not holding on to that on sidekick.
Speaker 3: I mean, do you remember you about the one they did at halftime?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Does that?
Speaker 2: Like Sean Pats those are the kind of guys that I'm like, yea, I'm not even playing mad with you anymore.
Speaker 3: Like let's let's be real here, like you know.
Speaker 2: I mean, I just and that was a brilliant move and he would do it, and you know, I hated it. But yeah, that that team that year that won the Super Bowl, they were really good. They were thirteen and three. So but again, I just feel like because of Peyton and they had just won a couple of years prior, they were the more established team that I would imagine I mean, again, I could remember it wrong, but I would imagine that the fourteen and two.
Speaker 3: Colts that year were probably probably favorite.
Speaker 4: Cardinals almost had it the year before up against that was one of the best Super Bowls.
Speaker 3: That was a really good game, and that was there.
Speaker 4: Were like nine and eights.
Speaker 3: Is that Kurt Warner with the Cardinals.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Kurt Warner was at the very Kurt corner from bagging groceries to almost win in a Super Bowl. Larry Fitzgerald capped off probably the best postseason a wide receiver has ever had. And I remember living in Arizona at the time and going to sports bar. I'm watching it. I've never seen so much craziness and so much hecticness, and Bill Ben Roethlisberger officially entered into that that soul snatcher type of quarterback, developing that last drive and hitting Santonio Holmes in the corner of the end zone.
Speaker 3: Jim the cool John Jone.
Speaker 4: It was. It was just disgusting. It was a big, bad Steelers And once again, I don't think the Cardinals should have ever been there. I think they only won nine games and just snuck into the playoffs. But that had one hell of a run.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the that that is that's the only super Bowl win for Tom isn't it.
Speaker 3: I think it is right now?
Speaker 4: Yes, and up going and facing the Packers a few years later and lost to that too.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, so and Rogers got his only one. So yeah, I think we'll get a competitive game. And as far as like what this does for for legacies, I mean, Patrick Mahomes, I feel like I could lose and it's still gonna mean that he's one of the best of all time.
Speaker 3: And it does.
Speaker 2: And we shouldn't look at a loss here as a sign that they're not going to be back once again in the Super Bowl, because that's just kind.
Speaker 3: Of what they do.
Speaker 2: So I do feel though the win for the Eagles would probably not be the discussion quite as much as the potential non existent downfall of the Chiefs, right, Like, I mean the Chiefs, I just feel like because they are so established and any time, I mean, have they lost in the Super Bowl.
Speaker 4: They just lost to U U the Bucks.
Speaker 3: That's right, That's right, I forget about that.
Speaker 4: It's a very weird year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was so anyways, I mean, I don't know, I clearly I don't think anybody's doubting the Eagles as far as like, are they really good? Nope, I don't think anybody's out there claiming that they're not, you know, a really good team. But when you've got a team that's currently where, the Chiefs are the talk of the town, right they are the They are the hottest thing in the NFL and have been for a while now. That's just regardless of what happens with them, it's always they're going to continue to kind of lead the conversation. It'll be both right, They're gonna be There's gonna be a lot of talk about, Man, how huge was that for Jalen Hurts, Nick Siriann, How about Sequon Barkley.
Speaker 3: What a moment for his career.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's one of the better storylines you'll see in the NFL ever from the running back position.
Speaker 3: If he's to go from a.
Speaker 2: Terrible run in New York where that franchise just set him up for failure a by being bombs and losers, and then he goes to a successful organization like the Eagles and wins the super Bowl. So you know, I think there's really not a lot to lose on the chief side, and I don't really think there'll be a whole lot to lose as far as you know, I don't think you blow up the Eagles if they lose here and think we got to start over. Because if you're getting to the super Bowl, you know, two years in a three year period, two times in a three year window, and you got better this year when you added Barkley, I mean, it doesn't mean that you're really even missing some big key piece. I mean you might be, but you're really good. You know what the issue is, You're running into the Chiefs who are currently a monster, and I don't see them slowing down anytime soon.
Speaker 3: But I hope the Eagles win.
Speaker 2: I really do, all right, So the updated bracketology, and by the way, we're gonna get into some of the prop bets coming up later on in the hour here when it comes to the Super Bowl wagering. But the updated bracketology from the One and Only Joey Bracketts came out earlier today, and he's now updating it more frequently. But I'm now noticing that he's updating it. You know, he's updating it without really doing much updating, if that makes sense. And now you know it does make sense because this late in the year, there's a lot of data points out there, a lot of games you've played to where you know, if you keep winning or maybe if you lose a game, but it's to a really good team, you're probably going to be able to stay where you are on the line. But as of right now, he has Louisville still as a seventh seed. They would be taken on Texas and Milwaukee in the Midwest region the Indianapolis region, and the one seed in that region is Alabama and the two seed who they would play if things go chalk would be Purdue.
Speaker 3: So and I'm not going to get in.
Speaker 2: I mean, as far as like liking the draw. I mean, it's not terrible, but I don't even put a whole lot of thought into it because it's just.
Speaker 3: A random thing.
Speaker 2: I mean, again, when it comes to bracketology, predicting where somebody is as far as their seed range is really not that hard to do. And predicting who they play, I mean, you're just I mean just random, You're not really, I mean, it's not a prediction necessarily. It's really just a reference point. Kentucky they are as a I think that, yeah, they're well, they're a four seed. Some reason I thought they had he had him as a three. But Kentucky is a four seed and they are taken on Lipscomb, who's an auto qualifier, and then if they win, they would then play if it goes Chalk Ucla, who's a five seed in that region, that that one the one seed in that region the East is Duke, So I guess you know that's how it played out. That's who they would end up going up against. And the bubble the last team in according to Lenardi, wake Forest first team out cal in Arkansas, and the top overall seed is is Auburn. So here's how he has the bubble currently the last four in Wake Forest BYU, San Diego State, and Vanderbilt, and then the first four out Arkansas, Xavier, SMU, Central Florida, the next four out Pittsburgh, North Carolina.
Speaker 3: BCU, and USC.
Speaker 2: So what could happen here is if all of the teams currently on the bubble.
Speaker 3: End up.
Speaker 2: Getting you know, a favorable bounce if you will, right, they end up being on the right side of the bubble, that would give you or five, seven teams in the dance. I mean, I don't predict that that happens, but it would also be really misleading because again you'd have a one seed with Duke, and then you would have from there, I mean, your best seed probably maybe be in a six or a seven, depending on if it's Clemson or Louisville, and then you know, teams that would be barely getting in. I would assume also the wrong side of the bubble, away from being a team that gets just three teams in the tournament and two are not great seeds, and then the one. You know, Duke's just propping this league up. Right now, so thirteen teams in the tournament according to Lonardi right now from the SEC Insane, ten from the Big Ten, eight from the Big Twelve, four from the ACC, four for the Big East, three from the Mountain West, and then two from the WCC. And this weekend with Louisville taking on a really bad Miami team and Kentucky taking on a not a really bad South Carolina team, but certainly not a good South Carolina team, and they are winless in the SEC, which again, if you look at their schedule, it actually says more about the league than anything else. So this is a weekend where you have a whole lot to lose and not not much to gain really at all. A loss would be devastating for both because with Kentucky, I mean it would be I mean just the optics and even the numbers wouldn't be great because South Carolina, despite not having a bad NET or a bad kN palm there, I mean, their record is not good and they're not they're not doing I mean, in fact, I think they are I think their last place in the UH, in in in the NET, in the in the SEC, and of course that would make them that would give them five and their five losses in their last six games, and again it would be to a bad team so a lot to lose there for Kentucky and then Louisville. I mean, look there, that would be a loss to Miami would be absolutely devastating to your resume. Hard it's hard for me to it's hard for me to see that you would like fall to being like absolutely on the bubble if you lose to Miami, because again you're currently a seventh seed according to most.
Speaker 3: But what what what the issue is for Louisville with.
Speaker 2: Losing some of these games is that right now, what's helping you is that you have an isolated result, so you're getting the benefit of the doubt because you don't have any good wins as far as real value in every loss of yours, but one five of your six losses are all quality losses that really don't do much to hurt you. In fact, some of them don't hurt you at all. But then Georgia Tech, that's a that's a that's a seven point loss at their place, and it's not a awful loss, but not a good one. I mean, it's a bad loss, trust me, it is a bad loss, I'm much, but it could be worse. Like if Georgia Tech was Boston College. I mean that would be that would be more crushing because Georgia Tech happens to be one hundred and fifteen spots ahead of.
Speaker 3: Boston College.
Speaker 2: So I think numbers wise, you're you're in a decent spot, right You're top thirty in the kin Palm, top thirty in the net. That's where you want to be. But a loss here to a team that's ranked one ninety two in the in the kin palm would would really I mean again, you're talking about a team that is nearly one hundred spots below a team meet just lost to, and you'd be losing to this team who's a lot worse at home. So like that's the kind of thing that one would hurt you badly in the metrics with the numbers. And also you no longer can say you have an isolated data point of a bad loss. You would have two really bad losses. So I think it could legitimately, and I don't think it'll happen. Eighty eight sixty nine is to projected score in kin Pom for this game tomorrow and Louisville again that we know they're a lot better. The Miami's an absolute mess, Like they're they're a team that really you could be making money on if if you've been fading them the last couple of months. But they did just win against Notre Dame last week and they haven't played since then. They only have five wins on the season. They're five and seventeen overall, one in ten now in the ACC. So they are the worst team in the league. And again, like there's really no point in saying much more than that. They're that bad. So I hope louisll doesn't lose. But again, that's that's where you are. You have a lot to lose the rest of the way and not very much to gain to the way, which is not a fun place to be. But look, if you take care of business and beat teams that you know you can beat. Different conversation now, agatting the issue is that if for some reason you're without Chucky Hepburn for you know, a few games or longer, can we still say that, like we know that Louisville should beat these teams that are bad. I mean, I think we can say that, but let's be real, Chucky Hepburn is the single most important player on this team and it is not even close. So now we wait to see if he's able to go tomorrow. Keep a locked right here, it's cofee and company. Feiel about Thornton's on Sports Talk seven to ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: That's right, it's coffee and company here on a Friday afternoon, getting you set for the weekend.
Speaker 3: A big weekend around here, super Bowl, and of course.
Speaker 2: People talked about these big college basketball games, and again I keep saying big just because you know, trying to get you excited.
Speaker 3: For the weekend. But they're not big games.
Speaker 2: They're actually games that make me anxious because again, you win, it's what you're supposed to do, and you kind of need to win big. And if you lose, Man, that's devastating. And I don't think Lowe was going to lose to Miami. Trust me. I've had a couple of people ask me if I'm worried about the game. I mean, I'm worried about Chucky and he may play. He worried Nick and if he doesn't play, scared of Miami. I mean, if he doesn't play, that just kind of I mean, your confidence level is still good because Louisville, you feel like is still good to.
Speaker 3: Be able to well, I don't know. I mean, I think I'm lying to myself.
Speaker 2: The confidence level tomorrow if Chucky doesn't play, is based solely off of Miami sucking, right, I mean, that's what it comes down to. And it's not to say Louislle wouldn't be able to beat him without Chucky, but really they played good at the end of the game when he went out, but it was Boston College and you already up big whenever he got hurt. And you know, I think we've seen throughout the year that he's the most important player on the team, and so it's time to free Fats. Yeah yeah, I mean, look, that's clearly who would be running the show. And I want to give Fat a lot of credit because he's not only been a good player for Louisville this year, and I just think even when he stays aggressive and he misses shots, Louisville is better.
Speaker 3: He's better.
Speaker 2: It's the best case scenario when he stays aggressive and start to finish. So he's done a good job there. But he's been a really good defender. I mean, I don't think Patton knew he was getting a guy that would be able to defend the way that he has at times this year. So he's been great, but man, you'll have to put a lot more on him. And you know, it's kind of one of those games where because Louis had games where Rain doesn't need to just go crazy from three, right, but Rain would have to.
Speaker 4: Like this last game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he would have to contribute for sure when it comes to product producing points, but he can do. But he also, you know, let's be honest, when it comes to the amount of assist. This team has a lot of guys do distribute the ball. I mean, Terrence has had some games where he's had a lot of times, so you know, honestly, Trei Orra is a guy who's a pretty good passer too.
Speaker 3: But like Chucky is your leading leading assists.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: He leads the acc and assists. And I just.
Speaker 2: Feel like more often than not, when Rain Smith has made a three point shot, it is because it has come from Chucky. Hepburn, So you know, it changes a lot. And again I should have I should have put the disclaimer out there before now. But like we don't know if he's gonna play or not. He's he's listed as day to day and they're gonna see if he can go tomorrow. And if I could pull up the sound here, I'll let you hear what Pat Kelsey had to say, because you know, I think he's telling the honest truth. I do not believe that, you know, they're trying to keep information from us. I mean, maybe they're a little more confident than we realize. Maybe they're a little more worried when we realize. I don't know, but it's just gonna be one of those things that you can't get too caught up in. I mean, I get while you're thinking about it, I'm thinking about it too. I mean, I've spent more time thinking about a man's growing than I ever imagined I would. But here we are, and I don't regret any of it. But with Chucky, I mean, we're just gonna have to wait for every every uh, I mean every update from Pat, every game, and I think that's when we're going to be getting getting updates. And if it stays that way, you still never know how it's gonna work out. But that's the best case scenario than getting a press release that it's you know, says really bad news. So I mean, I I'm I'm a worrier in general. It's an issue of mine. It's just part of me who I am. So I get that I'm more worried than others, But a lot of people are kind of like, well, I mean, he's fine. You saw him at the end of the bench and and and I did see it, and that is encouraging. But I mean, I think the status that they're they're giving us is real, and it's it's a thing because if he was okay and it was no biggie and they were just being safe because they were up and he might have tweaked something and they didn't want to even risk it because of how important he is, they want to make sure and get it looked at before they let him play again. They mean, if that was the if that is what truly ended up being the case against Boston College, then we would have found that out today and we didn't, So worrying about it isn't going to help. But I'd be a liar if I told you that. I'm not gonna be thinking about it here and there. So my guess will be tomorrow, maybe around one o'clock they play it too, tips off at too, so we'll find I mean, I would be, I'd be.
Speaker 4: I would.
Speaker 2: I think if in fact they end up not playing, like he won't play, then I think we would. I mean, I think Dana Brown, the SID would send out that release probably about an hour before the game. I think if we get nothing, that's a good sign. But he also still may not play. That means like he's he's available, but they're still leting him rest. Which if that's the case, then I think that that's I mean, it's probably the best case scenario scenario because he's clearly clearly dealing with something. And I'm no expert, but you know, a groin injury regardless of really what it is, I shouldn't say regardless of what it is, but I know there's been different There's all kinds of diff There's Taekwondan had something with his with his groin that ended up being of really common injury I believe in hockey players. And it was kind of random how taekwon got it and he played through it for a long time and then finally ended up having had had to give had to get some surgery, and it really I mean, I don't know if if I don't know if he if he overdid it, but I mean I remember there was some fear that once he did actually have to get it taken care of, that maybe he played on it a little too much because it's something you can play on and you can just kind of deal with the pain if you can manage it.
Speaker 3: But you know, you don't want.
Speaker 2: To be doing that unless you just you know, you're in a situation where you're you know, you can fight through it and your team needs you. So again, we'll see tomorrow what would ends up happening. All right, speaking of Taekwonde, Tomorrow, they're going to be honoring the two thousand and five final four team, a special group. I believe everybody is is going to be there on that two thousand and five Final four team. I mean I can't haven't haven't personally been, you know, looking for RSVPs. But the folks I've talked to feel like it's going to be a really good turnout as far as the players, and you know, they want to have their coach obviously, and I am curious if Rick would have come back if he didn't have Well, actually, does Rick play tonight?
Speaker 3: I think he plays tonight?
Speaker 2: So maybe he could have come, but I think while he's still coaching, it would be awkward and it would be weird, but also you know, it wouldn't be the crazy thing if he was invited and he decided to come. Mean, I think he's I mean, we heard a couple of weeks ago that he asked for Pat Kelsey's number. He has Peyton seevafore it, So I don't know if the two have talked yet, but I mean that that could be the scenario.
Speaker 3: Where because here's here's the thing. Rick lied.
Speaker 2: I mean, when Rick said that he would go back to Louisville if he was invited back or welcome back, like, he lied, and that's what he does. He's you know, he tells his own truth. But I mean, if you remember, there's some players that tried their best to get him to be there for the twenty thirteen teams ten year reunion a couple years ago, and he didn't. You know, the UFL was completely fine with it and the players wanted him there and he chose not to come. So anyways, I wonder if now that maybe he's talked to Pat Kelsey, he'd be willing to come back. And look, we don't need him to come back. We've honored this team before, and you know, I'm happy for these guys. But one day Rick will be back here, and I part of me says it'll be a long time, because I think he's gonna be coaching a long time. And if you're gonna be honoring a team during the season, rarely will you know, rarely will the timing workout out. And even if you don't have a game on the day, it's still something you're taking away from your you know, your gig.
Speaker 3: Right like.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow, if Patino was to come here and he does play yukon the night at eight o'clock, but if Tino was to come here for tomorrow, I mean he could come and he's probably got a private planes. He could probably come and leave right after if he wanted to, and it wouldn't take up like his whole day. But still, like it's not ideal when you're in the middle of the season, and especially when his team's having a really good year.
Speaker 3: So who knows when it'll be, but it'll happen at some point.
Speaker 2: But that two thousand and five Final four team, obviously the players that that's that that are legends that we remember for we will remember forever if you were old enough to watch that team play when we were talking about Dean Garcia O'Bannon and I think Ellis Smiles is a really good example of a guy who had a really good career.
Speaker 3: Love Ellis Miles. You know he played here for I think.
Speaker 2: It was, yeah, four years, five, he was here five years, but if you remember, he got hurt and ended up getting a red shirt because of one of the injuries. So well play he played four years in five years, but he was a guy who ended up getting He had his best season that year, ten points and nine point two rebounds a game. I mean, just just a really good, reliable post player, knew who he was as a player, was a big time leader, real physical player.
Speaker 3: I mean, Ellis had a hell of a career. So I don't want to act.
Speaker 2: Like I'm saying that we view him more positively than we should. But he's a guy that if he wasn't a part of a Final four, you'd remember him. You'd say he's a good player. But there's a special something that comes with being a guy who was as good as him and you were a big piece to a Final four team. If that makes sense, Like trying to think of in twenty twelve, I guess I guess you could say that Kyle Kurrick has sort of that same like people remember Kyle Kuirrick. Honestly, maybe he's not a good example because Kyle has remembered for being a good player here. But man, the first thing who comes to mind for people when it comes to Kyle kirk is the he shut down, free them all and out of nowhere, came off the bench and you know, looked like Larry Bird out there. So that's such a random thing that happened at the time that it and it was so awesome, such a big win too, that that's probably the first thing that comes to mind. But he's a guy that had a good career, had some good numbers, but again he played in a final four. Trying to think of an example of somebody that was really good and the tournament success wasn't there, So you wouldn't say you wouldn't say they were a bad player. You wouldn't say that, you know, they weren't good, and they weren't, you know, really good compared to the history of the program, but you would put them probably you would kind of forget about him, and you wouldn't be listing them off as early as you probably would have if you were basing it just off like their production and what they did.
Speaker 4: I would say, like Jerry Smith comes up in that convo, Preston Knowles, they were on good teams that didn't happen to go far.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Preston Knowles is one of those guy that that you know, he's he's remembered in a major way, but yeah, I mean there's no big tournament run. Yeah, And honestly, he actually played and was a good reliable guard off the bench for those two Elite eight teams that ended up going to the the lost in North Carolina when they won the title, and then of course lost to Michigan State. He was on those teams, and you know, he wasn't a starting guard, but he played and at times, you know, had some had some good flashes, and then of course he just stick around and became a really good player throughout his entire career.
Speaker 3: But yeah, he did.
Speaker 2: He didn't specifically have a deep tournament run at all where because the best team that he was a part of was that team that lost to Morehead State, and we probably don't lose to Morehead State if he doesn't get hurt. But now Jerry Smith, it is probably a good one too. But Jerry played was so much like Jerry was never the guy. In fact, when he had to be the guy, he actually ended up needing to be benched unfortunately, just because he was starting to really struggle towards the very end of his career. I got one for you, and I think this is I mean, I'll be honestly, I think this is maybe the best example. Maybe not because the only only played here two years as far as a lot like as far as you know, being a big time guy. But Jordan Warre, I mean, yeah, Jordan Wore averaged seventeen points as a junior. He averaged eighteen points as a senior. You know, I believe, I mean he did he I think did he score thousand points in his career really only playing like I mean because he played for Paget as freshman season and didn't get a ton of minutes, but he averaged five points a game. It was really weird because he would actually, I mean he would actually produce when he would get in. It's just didn't he didn't play a whole lot. But yeah, in his career, let's see, he scored. Yeah, I mean he had thirteen hundred points and he really did that in two years time.
Speaker 3: Wow, I mean that's a yeah.
Speaker 2: Look, this is a perfect example because he had one hundred and fifty nine points total as a freshman, averaging five. He scored five hundred and seventy seven a as a sophomore, and scored five hundred and fifty eight as a junior. And keep in mind, as a junior, he didn't even get a tournament game, not even the ACC tournament.
Speaker 4: I mean, so it's insane.
Speaker 2: And I do I think I think he broke a record because I could be wrong here, but I believe his sophomore scoring average in twenty nineteen Max first year, which again was seventeen points a game. I think that broke the record for average points for any sophomore in Louisville history.
Speaker 3: And I think the record was rosier.
Speaker 2: But if you remember, they pulled his records because of the vacated stuff, so they didn't count it.
Speaker 3: But Terry had the hot Terry broke I think one of the.
Speaker 2: One of the McCrae brothers records for most points averaged by a sophomore, and then and then yet Jordan got it.
Speaker 3: Look, Jordan was an All American.
Speaker 2: I mean he's ap All American third team I mean USA Basketball Writers All American third Team. I mean, that's an honor that nobody has had at Louisville.
Speaker 4: He also played for the Nigerian team in college.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's an honor that I don't think anybody has had since I mean since him, and I don't really remember who it was before him, probably Russ and Peyton and those guys. Right, I mean, if you are a third team All American, you are at least a top fifteen player in the country. And that's a that's a hard thing to to. I mean, like, as much as I thought Carly Jones was really really good in his one season at Louisville, I don't think he was an All American player. But maybe he was, because again, that's a real forgettable season. So Jordan is one of those guys for some reason. Though he also, like people didn't like Jordan as much as they would like a guy who typically is that good, right, Like he he had a really I mean, I'll just say it. I mean Mack used to say it. Maybe not publicly, but he had resting bitch face like Jordan looked like he he looked like he he looked like he was a powder like he he did not. You know, I can't think of what would he call it. He wouldn't call it energy or even maybe he was body language. But I feel like there was some other word that that that Mack would would use to describe sort of Jordan kind of just he would he'd be playing well and kind of just floating round and just not looking like he was totally locked in, like kind of being on his tippy toes. But man, he was a I mean he still is. But he was a really talented player, like a six seven, two hundred and twenty five five guy that could fill it up.
Speaker 3: I mean he could get hot.
Speaker 1: Ude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was athletic enough to dunk on you. He I mean, I really thought he was gonna be a star in the NBA. That's a stretch A champion technically, Yeah, that's true, that's a stretch. I don't think he should have been a star, but I thought he would have lasted a long time in the NBA because I just feel like currently his game actually fits the NBA in a perfect ways. He's big enough, he's athletic enough, and he can flat out shoot it. I mean, he's the best scorer since Russ Smith that Louisville as far as just being able to have two points at halftime and end up with twenty seven, Like he could do that and it wouldn't be a big shock.
Speaker 3: And I know some people thinking, well his defense, Yeah, and no.
Speaker 2: I mean that was a frustrating thing about Jordan is that when he wanted to play defense and he really got into it, he could defend. I mean he didn't have any I mean he lost so much weight. He You're at Louisville and he was pudgy when he first got here. Ye lost weight, became an athlete. So he's a really good example of somebody that just isn't going to be thought of the same as guys who were part of special tournament runs. And that's why I think, like Otis George Man, that's a guy you absolutely forget about if he's not on that special team. They gave Louisville their first Final four since nineteen what was it, nineteen eighty six? They get back to one after that title, I'm sure they did not in the nineties right now. They did in the nineties, so maybe they didn't after eighty six. Yeah, but yeah, so special group and the fact that they're this old makes me feel old, to be honest with you. But hopefully there's a great turn out tomorrow and those guys get a big, a big standing.
Speaker 3: Oh all right, quick break, we'll keep it locked right here. Well, actually we want you to keep it locked right here.
Speaker 2: We're going to take a break and we're going to come back talk about the Super Bowl bets that are out there, So stick with us right here. Coffee and Company feel about Thornin's Unsports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety Now back to Coffee and Company. Few by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: With sportscambling becoming so much more popular every year and more accessible, and it's directly in your face. These professional leagues are clearly in bed with the sports books and everybody's taken all of our money and I'm loving ever minute of it, to be honest with you. So uh, we've had stories of this becoming an issue, right you had the Johntay Porter situation. I mean, there's been a handful of stories that that I'm sure aren't good looks that nobody wants happening. But again, as I always say, anybody who was in favor that had like any legitimate influence in sports betting becoming legal in so many states, they didn't. They didn't do this thinking that this would never happen. They knew that it would. It would happen at some point, and you just have to hold people. You have to put every resource possible into making sure that you're not having guys out here compromising the integrity of your sport. But also you got to make examples out of people who do in fact that, because you know, it should teach people the lesson. So with all that said, when it comes to these prop bets, because these are so easy to potentially like manipulate, I'm just surprised that they still exist. Like will any player or coach cry during the national anthem? Of course, I mean there could be a guy that's I mean on a on a minimum lead contract, which still a lot of money, But they could tell somebody to, you know, put a crazy wager on random player to cry. But you know thenn't you then you'd have to like I didn't get it works.
Speaker 4: Like, like do they have to catch them crying on TV?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like what if? What if I told the sports book? Yeah, you didn't get it on TV, but I took a picture. I was at the game.
Speaker 3: He cried like I don't. I mean it's and there's some of the.
Speaker 4: The slide in the Fanduels d.
Speaker 2: The most I mean, the most upstanding, I guess, the most established sports books. They don't really take a lot of these crazy you know, prop bets, but I mean there's one here, Drake's Super Bowl curse. What team will he be representing?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: I mean it's plus one point thirty for the Eagles, minus one seventy for the Chiefs. Have you ever bet on one of these and actually won some money?
Speaker 4: I not one of those crazy ones, but I did. I think a couple of years ago, I think it was anyone but a quarterback to throw a touchdown pass. I can't remember which game, which game it was, but I mean you got two very innovative offensive court offensive mines at the helm of each team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it was two years ago. I came up short in a parlay that was just nothing but like player prop bets, and it was a bummer, but it was a fun ride.
Speaker 3: It ended up coming up just short, but.
Speaker 4: Feel like the Gatorade color one could be easily manipulated to.
Speaker 3: I did whin.
Speaker 2: I don't remember who it was, and I'm actually looking up right now because it's going to drive me crazy. But the one year there was a female that sang the national anthem and I took the I took the under it and it hit, but I don't remember. Oh, I think it was. Oh, it was Demi Levado in two thousand. Yeah, so I remember I was doing commercials at the time for I Believe FanDuel and I. You know, they wanted me to include in my commercials which like which picks I had, and I remember I had a really like corny line of it's just a very corny delivery, I said.
Speaker 3: Demi Levado, give me the under it.
Speaker 2: Just you know, I've had many commercials over the years that are, you know, one air out the other. I don't feel like they stand out to me. I hear my voice enough, and then there's somewhere I'm like, man, I should have listened to that back and recut it because that sound awful. In fact, awful is how I described my voice right now. But can't keep me out of here.
Speaker 3: Thank you. I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: All right, it's coffee and company. We're fuel about Thort's right here. On Sports Talk seven ninety