Speaker 1: This is High on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jay Gonzalez on Fox Sports fourteenth fifty. Subscribe now to the podcast on the iHeartRadio while just surgery I on the Ball.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve, He's Jay. Now we have Ryan with breaking news.
Speaker 3: That thing hasn't been working for a while, right, and I don't know what the deal is and those we're leaving it must know.
Speaker 2: What we're leaving.
Speaker 3: Because of that, because of that, we can't get play. Our breaking news thing makes me mad.
Speaker 4: Okay, let's get right into it. Starting with Arizona men's basketball. They've officially finalized a multi year series with UCLA starting twenty twenty four. First game is on Soper fourteenth at the Footprint Center in Phoenix, and then they'll meet again in twenty twenty five at the Hall of Fame Series in Las Vegas at the Team Over Arena, and then again in twenty twenty seven in Los Angeles site to be determined.
Speaker 2: You know, we talked about this already.
Speaker 3: It's just spent a well, yeah, I mean they had said that they were working on this and it looked like it was gonna happen, but it's official.
Speaker 2: Not Yeah, which is which is one of the no brainers that they didn't screw up.
Speaker 3: Well, I want to know why they're not playing it in twenty twenty six, right, because they got in twenty twenty four, twenty twenty five and then twenty twenty seven. Why aren't you playing in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say this because Bill from Yesterday's gonna just say, well, Steve, you fans you want everything, don't you.
Speaker 5: But I don't know.
Speaker 2: But it's a good question. It's a good question. Why skip a year?
Speaker 3: Why are we? Yeah, why are you skipping?
Speaker 2: There must be like some kind of maybe they're playing or Arizona's gonna play something scheduled. I don't know, you know what I'm saying, There could be.
Speaker 3: Well, somebody needs to tell us why they're not playing in twenty twenty six. No one's basic reporting, Steve, no one's asking the question. Basic reporting question. You know, you get an automatic E in journalism in your journalism class for not having that fact in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, if they're not played, because well, Jay, they're not playing.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, anyways, I'm glad they're playing it. Yeah, yeah, yeah, there's no brain everyb he is. And yes, you do wish you could do you do it twice a year, but you're not going to do that. They've got, you know, other things that got a schedule. But the fact you continue now that the whole thing about not playing it on either campus, Yeah, it is kind of crappy.
Speaker 2: Well, this is fair. I guess they're gonna have one off nearby ucil A. They don't, this is what you silly.
Speaker 3: I'm sure they're played at Staples or they played in the View in the New Slippers Arena.
Speaker 2: That's going to be the venue for the Olympics. It should be a lot of fun. Yeah, but at least you get Ucilly and and you don't get Kansas right in Phoenix. Yeah, so I guess there's that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and and and when you do play those games too, other fans get to go to the games and and stuff like that. The vague the one in Vegas will be interesting to see, you.
Speaker 2: Know, you know what following Arizona, did they have a date for that or did they just said when the win for the first one Vegas said that'll be that'll be exciting to watch every game that we've seen them in Vegas Pac twelve, but in another one, yeah, has been very good. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So again you know, no brainer, right, I mean, just made all the sense in the world. Uh, you know, and and you hope that that that it goes beyond that, right, that it's just a regular thing. Those two teams are gonna play each other every year.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the one matchup thing you want to see is that I don't think will ever happen is Arizona Zega.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think, but that wouldn't that would be in the media attention you would get from that national attention.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it would be fun. It'd be fun, but it won't happen.
Speaker 4: Switching over to Arizona softball, they have hired former as a s U star Amber Freeman as the assistant head coach. They lost Josh Bloomer to.
Speaker 3: Issue right in July traded coaches with them.
Speaker 2: Yeah right. There was some issues with the last I can't remember what it was I heard, but he's up there now and she's down here.
Speaker 3: Did they shake each other's job? I mean it's not why I think so.
Speaker 2: I think so. Someone who covers the team would no bitther a player to be named later.
Speaker 3: In this deal, or a bag of softballs or something added on gas considerations. And that's interesting. Okay, all right, all.
Speaker 2: Right, switch over to the NFL.
Speaker 4: Some injury news. The tenth overall pick for the Vikings, JJ McCarthy, excuse me, is going to be sidelined for a little while. He had a tear in his meniscus on his right knee. They're still trying to determine if it's something they can just kind of trim the meniscus where you can return this season or if you guys has to have a four pair and he'll be sidelined until next year.
Speaker 3: Tenth pick in the draft. That just blows. That just sucks.
Speaker 6: One.
Speaker 2: You played one game.
Speaker 3: That's the way it is.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: There it was a very a very cool thing. I think it was who said this? I can't remember who said one of the NFL coaches and I don't know if it was it was a ganning up in Phoenix. One of the one of the NFL head coaches said this is what because there's all these teams that they're they're practicing against other teams. Maybe maybe it was the who what who had a big brawl among their own plays.
Speaker 2: It was the fields. It wasn't uh Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh.
Speaker 3: And the and and the coach said maybe it was Tomlin who said, whoever was the head coach of this team said this year?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, said said today or or in the last day. He said, here's what's gonna happen. If you're a starter and you get in a fight in practice, you have to play the whole preseason game. You're not because these guys like they take the day off, right, you got to play the whole game. And if you're not a starter and you get in a fight, you don't get to play. So both either one of those is a punishment. You know, these guys star as they go in. They play two series, then they're out and they go, you know, jack around with their buddies, and they're on social media in the whole bit, and obviously the non starters they're trying to prove themselves. I thought that was a really interesting thing, you know, for him to say, for that to be the approach that say, Okay, if you guys gonna be screwing up in practice like this, this is what's gonna happen. That was pretty cool.
Speaker 4: So I found it right here. So it was the Patriots Drod Mayo. Okay, yeah, says if you're if you're a starter who gets into the skirmish, you're going to plan on playing the long preseason game ahead. If you're a backup competing for a job, you're going to lose an opportunity.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Okay, So we have a fact checker out there in the real world. Uh, he's not Ted Nugent, He's Pat Nugent.
Speaker 3: That one.
Speaker 2: It was Richard Sis's not Richard Lopez. And Amber played it. Played at a issue. She came from Georgia. Oh okay, so she was he was wasn't a co an issue, she put it. That's what she played it. Way to go, Victor, Thanks man, Thanks Victory. We need a fact checker.
Speaker 3: We need to fact check the fact checker over here. Come on, man, So go Ryan, get on it.
Speaker 2: Don't We can't lose him, don't be.
Speaker 3: Since we talked about since we talked about the Western Division and Nation League Western Division race. Yes, Mookie Bets came back last night, hit a homer and knocked in a run. So now he had three RBIs with a homer, and a single. Uh look bad striking out as first as bat, but then he went yard and uh and uh had a nice game and the Dodgers. The Dodgers beat the Brewers, but the damn Diamondbacks one again came came back to beat the Rockies, who just absolutely positively suck and they sucked it again last night. And then all three teams in the Nation League West Race won, the Dodgers, the Padres, and the and the those damn Diamondbacks.
Speaker 4: Don't forget the Giants, dude, they're trying to. Giants are gonna make it. But giants are starting to kind of yea heat up a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: So anyways, but.
Speaker 3: MOOKI looked good. Show, Hey went yard. He had hit an opposite field homer up into those like the picnic area beyond the field, opposite field.
Speaker 2: He must have stayed in that airbnb and slept well. Look, we talked about that yesterday. Yeah, so so another fact check another Mike, Mike, one of my buddies said that Arizona and the Zags are in the Bahama Tournament.
Speaker 3: To get Okay, so there's a chance.
Speaker 2: You're saying there's a chance, Yeah, that'd be fun. Get our flights right now, boo book.
Speaker 3: Remember that last time Arizona was in the Bahamasare disaster was a complete disaster. I lost so much money on those guys because we were in Vegas that weekend.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, you don't weeks before Luke saying this could be the best team. Right, Look who they add on the team. And then they go and lose the first game, so that won't happen. They lose the second game, but then I think they lost they lost three three, Well there were number four in the country, I think something like that, and boom, and that was the beginning of the end of that season, right because all hell broke throughout that.
Speaker 3: Well, that was that thing where you know, I bet on him to win the first game and then they lose it. Okay, well they're not gonna lose two in a row, you know, coming out of the box. They don't do that. And then they lost against it. Well, now they're really not good. I bet more on the third game than I did.
Speaker 7: You gave that that.
Speaker 3: There's no way they lose all three.
Speaker 2: It must be positive. That guy was listening to the show today.
Speaker 3: She was no, no, she wouldn't have been there that.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about, I'm talking about today.
Speaker 3: No, in fact, I think she was there with us, and I think she saw she saw every bit of that your frustration. Yeah, yeah, I lost. I'm gonna bet more. I was chasing big time. Yeah, that was a bad weekend.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that's a chance. I'm not sure what the bracket looks like, but thanks Mike for that.
Speaker 3: Oh, you know, they're gonna do everything they can you get those two teams to play each other, although I don't know. Maybe they wanted to play in a championship game, right, so they're gonna put them opposite brackets. But that's always a good tournament. It's hard, it's hard to win that.
Speaker 2: Let me give you the other teams, Davison, Indiana, Louisville, Oklahoma, Providence in West Virginia.
Speaker 3: Yeah, see, that's that's hard to set that up because any of those teams can win, can win that thing. But maybe they'll try and get an early matchup between the two of them so that they get that game, because you know they'll they'll promo the hell out of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks Mike. All you need to do is start advertising on my show. Now, it's all I need to say so now again, It's all gonna be fun, Steve.
Speaker 3: I mean you know, I mean we're gonna start football and then basketball is gonna be coming right on the heels of that. Yeah right. I mean the first game is the first week in November.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of people who were lamenting the demise of the Pac twelve are gonna be very happy to see the teams coming in and the teams you're play and it's all different, and it's gonna be fun and not just and not just football and basketball, softball, baseball, it's the Big Twolves. Different. It's just different. And I think we talked about this with you tomorrows yesterday. Uh is that is that? It's it's no, it's not finesse, it's in anything pretty much. Yeah, it's it's they eat meat and they they're tough ball. It's not a it's a grinding it's a grinding game.
Speaker 3: And do you see the other I think it was last week, uh Deon Sanders and oh he was crapping all over the two media guys over there.
Speaker 2: That was that was fun in a sad way because I'm glad I'm not part of that. Yeah, but I'm sure Brian how it was just kind of watching and because the Denver guys took it just because you were affiliated with CBS Sports, you got crapped on. Yeah, you had no part of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he had nothing to do with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's a bit strange.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this. Let me ask you. Okay, So your coach, your desiree or your gym live and good, or you're whomever you're you're one of these big time deities and your coach is doing this. Coach is doing this, and it's it's snarky, it's sturdy, and and then we've seen it before. We had the basketball coach that would do you at some points that turn.
Speaker 3: It down a little, fire him. I'm the better one, right Okay, but you know, yes, you say, look, this is about more than you. Now, you're not no the ad at Colorado's and they're gonna go to Deon Sander sure and tell him that and only Dion sand I'm not saying he's getting away with it because the media is all over him for this, but he is going to get away with it because he's Deon Sanders, Colorado, Colorado. But if if all of a sudden, Brent Brennan starts crapping on the news media, and you're Desiree and you're out there trying to raise money for this program and get people to love the program and put their money behind it. You're gonna have that conversation with us, Like the now brand, Brent's not the guy who's gonna fight with the news media. Right. He probably didn't even read. But for the most part what people write. Deon Sanders cares what people think about.
Speaker 2: Oh sure, sure, it's the uh who's the guy, thee, the god. I see his face at the World Series. He dumped the water on him because he didn't like what he said during the playoffs.
Speaker 3: Macarver macarver. Ye, Tim McCarver, And that's kind of that's kind of who he is. Yeah, so yeah, I mean it's it's like this wouldn't this wouldn't happen. There aren't any other coaches that this is gonna happen with. In terms of I'm not answering your questions because something one of the people from your organization wrote about us.
Speaker 2: To me, it's one. To me, it's silly. Uh, you know who cares you? You make a lot of money, and you do who you are, you are. What does it matter that he picks you twelfth and fifteenth or whatever it was fifteen out of sixteen. Okay, I'll prove them wrong.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, another thing, But if if.
Speaker 3: You were an A D, you have to say something, Steve, because I totally agree, you absolutely have to, because you have to say, look, you know, we're trying to you know, we're trying to do all these things that help you with your program. We out there, we're trying to raise money, we're trying to make friends, we're trying to you know, we're trying to get people to like our program and support our program. And you're screwing it up.
Speaker 2: Don't you think it could backfire? And I say that because he could take his ball and go home, or he can say, hell with you, I only got one more year left anyway, Yeah, hell with you. I'm gonna do what I do.
Speaker 3: Well, then fine, and then you go. Then you say, then I want you to leave after this year?
Speaker 2: Go on, Well guess what I'm going to do that anywhere? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay, so let's get through this season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we'll both move on. It'll be a contentious year.
Speaker 3: Right then it would be it would be yeah, absolutely, Okay, all right, we're gonna take our break. We're gonna come back. We don't have a guess for this next segment, so maybe we'll talk more about this and anything else you want to talk about. Tex some calls five two zero, four, one, six, seventy four forty, We're right back.
Speaker 7: The Windows Depot is more than a Windows store. The Windows Depot is a one softwarehouse with everything you need for your complete Homer model shot. The aisles of pre built cabinets and a variety of colors, granite and quarts, countertops, sinks, skylights, and hardware. To complete your project, need a custom order, we can help. Our designers offer free design services and can special order everything you need for your kitchen or bathroom remodel today. Shop the Window Deepot dot com or find a location near you. The Window Depot more than a Windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five to two zero four zero zero four two three three.
Speaker 8: Where do you buy exercise and question Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 9: Of course, feel better and look better. It makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals your health and fitness to serve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading it and exercise equipment.
Speaker 10: On twenty second just quest of Wilmot did you know sports cards a memorabilia are setting record sales last month of nineteen fifty two tops Mickey Mantle So for twelve point six million, Lebron James Rookie So for five point six Also, collecting cards is a family fun hobby that can be very profitable.
Speaker 11: If you want to start a collection or expand your collection, check out Showtime Cards. They are one of the leading card shops in the country and have served our local community for twenty five years.
Speaker 2: They are located on e Speedway.
Speaker 11: That's show Time Cards.
Speaker 12: At Nova Home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com that's Volpe team dot com or call five two O six eight five six two six today n MLS three oh eight seven Arizona BKO nine two nine for two Equal housing Opportunity, how to commitment to Lindrix syncredit rates and available loan programs or subject to change with Unubics.
Speaker 13: It's awards season for summer sports leagues and time to look at trophies for baseball, softball, volleyball, and swimming seasons for youth and adult leagues. Summer has arrived and it's time to replenish your promotional products for your companies. Giveaways keep your employees looking great in fresh new apparel, polos and caps with your sharp looking logo. Creative Awards is here to serve your professional and promotional products needs. Visit their Creative Awards idea center at two twenty eight West Drackman Street or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 14: Gut bugs, termites, bes or rodents, Arizona Pest Control Wall hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist that's can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypast dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 1: Steve Ravera and Jacob Salaz they have their eye on the ball on Tucson's sports station set Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Ian Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty of Steve. He's Jake, you're Ryan. You have sixteen minutes, no gifts, so we can take a call for four here in the segment. Just give this call five too old, four one, six, seventy four to forty. We'd appreciate it.
Speaker 3: I'm just reading then getting back to this is Deon Sanders thing. Apparently there's a lot of speculation, but one of the things that they're speculating is this has some to do with him and CBS when he was a an analyst and you know, on some of the on their studio shows and stuff like that, and the deal that didn't come through that was supposed to come through, and that's why he's mad at CBS Sports, and they're saying it's just it's a it's an educated guest and somebody who's allegedly has some background and knowledge with Sanders saying it's not about a writer for CBS Sports saying he was the second to the worst head coach in the Big twelve because Dean Sanders doesn't give a crap about that, which I kind of disagree with with you, but that it has more to do with some media deal that he was trying to do with CBS that got screwed up how many years ago, well before he started coaching.
Speaker 2: So in my grudge list, Dion j and me apparently.
Speaker 3: So I'm just again, I just read that real quickly, and that's what it sounds like. So that people again it's it's it's it's all speculation in his opinion, but that's you know, somebody's somebody who allegedly knows a bit about Dion Sanders said that.
Speaker 2: So anyways, yeah, kind of okay, maybe maybe maybe not. It's just just coach and just coaching. But guys like that, you remember, you remember lut right nineteen ninety four. Uh, he took the team to the final four, but but right before that he was taking a lot of heat because of the first round of first two or thirty three. Uh, there was a chance that they could get beat They didn't. They got to the final four with Damon and Kalid and the rest of them. And he came back from that and he was pretty high on himself or and Loot's always that guy. He's the confident guy walking in the room. He tells Greg and Cindy and some of those guys and I was on coming team. I know more about basketball and my little pinky than you'll ever know. And and that's kind of an uncomfortable situation and a guy something that Luke never had to tell me. But he's this guy. He's this guy. But he had to get that in there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it kind of you know, to me, I'm not Kevin Lehman, but to me, that's a that's a clear sign of some level of insecurity or something.
Speaker 2: Well, after two years of being pooped on, right, I mean that was his you know, so there so there here.
Speaker 3: Well he sort of did that. It's Steve at the at the at the eighty eight after they beat North Carolina to get to the final right, because in his press conference after that, he was basically saying, what do you think of its now?
Speaker 2: Kind of thing? You know, was not because we just at the beginning of the year when no one thought they do this.
Speaker 3: Right, he said, we just beat North Carolina to get to the final four. You guys, you know, you guys, because they at that point they were thirty five and two, okay, and people were still saying your league sucks, So that's why you're thirty five and two. It's not because you're all that good, right, And and and then that this stuff started early.
Speaker 2: I mean I remember it wasn't because it didn't didn't continue from eighty five when they lost.
Speaker 3: Right, So this was all about that that the Pack Pac ten at the time was really bad at that time. Okay, the year before, Arizona and UCLA were the only teams to get in the NCAA tournament. Ucla was a champion, and Arizona got in and then lost a first round game at home. But through the and it kind of started with you remember the first thing they played was the the the Great Alaska Shootout and they and they beat you. They beat Syracuse in the championship games. Syracuse had been in the National Championship Game the year before, and Jim Beheim in his post game press conference said, let's wait and see how good these guys are at the end of the year. Because they're all seniors and so they're they're ahead of everybody. I don't see them improving over the course of the year. And I think that set I think Luke stuck that one in his in his hip pocket and said I'm gonna remember this because it was sort of a mantra for him all along. But again, the big the Pack ten was terrible that year. If only two teams got in right, and they were beating you know, they were beating teams by Pack ten teams by forty points. It was an a And so people said, you built your record on a crappy on a on a out of a crappy conference, and Luth basically said, okay. Then you know, people thought they were going to lose the seat in Hall, then they thought they were gonna lose to Iowa, and then they thought they were gonna lose to North Carolina, and they they beat the crap out of all three of those teams, and he was kind of like, Okay, what do you think of us now? And I think fine, I think it At that point people kind of got them, Okay, maybe these guys are really good. And then they went and lost and you know at the final four. Yeah, but that was that was a magical team. Yes, it just was. But but again it was lou kind of poking at people should poked at him, which he would do.
Speaker 2: And that's neither that's not neither here nor there. It's it's just how it turned out.
Speaker 3: Like the time, that remember that I think was he was yelling at was that Javia Morales. He was yelling at it and got recorded and no, no, no, that was that was he was yelling at somebody's saying, you're trying to get me fired. I'm like, yeah, no, nobody can get you fired.
Speaker 2: That's a different story. Yeah, no, that's a different story when I we'll get into but we'll talk about it later. Yeah, Homier was there. I was there. It was just a confusing time. I'm back in ninety six.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but but again, there was always just this little bit of insecurity that he had, you know, and the whole thing with him and Greg Hanson and stuff was like, dude, you are large and in charge in Tucson, Arizona. Why are you worried about anything that anybody else says?
Speaker 2: I do think. I do think though, that it started well, it started early, and I was fairly close to loud at the end. Was the the uniform stuff. Yeah, when they yes, when they screwed him, Yeah, and they were wrong and they were wrong to admit they're wrong, and that's when it started.
Speaker 3: That's why I became a sports writer when I did. But the two guys that got fired. I took one of the I got one of the jobs of those diamond rich diamond who got fired, I got I got his job. Okay, well I might feel that that position, but uh in eighty five, well yeah, yeah, yep, I was. I was covering the courthouse at the time.
Speaker 2: A little different.
Speaker 3: Yeah it was a lot different. Yeah that was a lot different.
Speaker 13: But no.
Speaker 3: But but getting back to that, I just he he always had a little bit of that. No matter how great people told him he was, there was a little piece of him and maybe it was in his upbringing or something like that that he that he kind of always thought, there's somebody out there who doesn't think I'm great.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that when you become that guy at that level. The nick Sabans who didn't didn't you know, would kind of go back and forth with the media and said this is what I am, blah blah blah. Uh. Some of those you know, the the Jimbo Fishers. Yes, you don't want that. You don't think you deserve that, even because you won a lot of games, you want a lot of titles, and you're thinking, you know what, what does Steve know? Like, you know what is j no what is greg Nor trying to tell me this?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I hear and and it's yeah, I mean, I just it's a it's a strange thing because the dude was legend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, there's well I think they have a statue for him, brother, there is there is one.
Speaker 3: Do you have a statue? In my mind, I don't even have a bobblehead. Well, I do actually have a bobblehead.
Speaker 2: Oh it looks like me. How big is that head?
Speaker 3: It's a George Lopez bobble but you know, he's sort of my doppel game.
Speaker 2: And he probably looks more like you in the George Lopez forum then you look like you, because yeah, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I'll show you a picture of the damn bobblehead. It looks just it does when my sister gave it to me as a as a as a as a Christmas kin. She was working at THEIRS on the Republic and she worked in the in the arts and entertainment and George bobble Head got sent to their thing and she and she got it. She said, that's my brother, But it looks like she gave it to me. And when I opened I remember opening it thinking, who had a bobblehead made of me? Why would you do that?
Speaker 2: Well, you better age better than he has.
Speaker 3: Man, he looks bad.
Speaker 2: He looks his face is kind of distorted, like yeah, you could like you could bury things in his face. Said letters to j that to be sorry, Bill, I'm not being better Bill.
Speaker 3: Well, you know he's he's bringing he's bringing our image down. What the Lopez is because people say that, people say that I look like Yeah, they look like him. I said, I don't look like him anymore. Man, I look way better than that.
Speaker 2: You have to say kind of their hair kind of bristle, the bristol kind of hair that this hard.
Speaker 3: One time, at several years a lot of years ago, somebody sent me side by side picture, you know, a bus, which one is Jane, which one is George.
Speaker 2: And it was the one who drugs the silverado silver kind of funny okay uh. And so there was that. So the thing I think will be played out more. We'll see because he was projected to win four games and that's part of the two. But they don't think Kylie of this season three pretty good.
Speaker 3: Players, well again, yeah, he's got he's got three alleged first round draft picks, and people are still saying they're only going to win four or five games. I mean, you know, how's that gonna fly?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll see, well, we'll see if the honeymoon's over. Yeah, but that won't be the last we see of the confrontation back and forth with them mediate whomever it is. You know, because we how on just maybe a month ago. Right, he says, no, it's not that it's not that bad. Last year we were thinking, well are you looking forward.
Speaker 3: To this year? And right? And does it get worse if all of a sudden his team is an isn't any good? I mean they can lose their first three games, all right, they're non conference games. They can lose them all Oh not, no, one's a conference. No, they're all non conference games. They opened dort to Kota State, which they can lose. Then they go then they play Colorado State neutral psyche game, which they went into like how many overtimes last year and Colorado State actually had a beat, and then they got Nebraska. There's a reasonable chance they can be zero and three coming out of the box. Then again, if they win all three. Now people are talking about going crazy again, like they like they like they did last year. Yeah, you know, but it can all go south in a hurry, and if it does, it's gonna be interesting to see how he handles that, because again, you know, he's got he's got this guy that they say is a first round draft pick at quarterback and and and his kid. Well, if your first round draft pick, you need to be better than a four win.
Speaker 2: Team, Well you think you think that would be the case, but you need people around you.
Speaker 3: I mean, you see all the all the promos for college football. There was a there was a video that uh, I think ESPN did the other day, and and Shador Sanders and Travis Hunter are in it like four times each. And I'm like, I didn't see all Fafita in there, right, I didn't see Team AC in there. And I think both of those guys are better than both of the Colorado Yeah.
Speaker 2: In fact, part of the Joe Class is Joe Class. Joe Class says that they could possibly be the best quarterback receiver tandem right country.
Speaker 3: And and and then you know, and you want to talk about is Arizona overrated or underrated? Who's overrated? Colorado's overrated because he these guys, you know. I'm sure when the you know that ESPN intro We're coming to your city comes on for game day, those guys are going to be in it all over the place. I'll be surprised if we see an Arizona guy in there, because we never see Arizona in that. But you know who went to who won ten games last year and who won four?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Right, so I don't We'll see what We'll see how that, how that turns out.
Speaker 2: If you want to call, please do we have about four minutes left in this segment five two zero four one six seventy four forty. I don't know if I saw that blink the light blink or not.
Speaker 3: I looked. I'm just looking at the thing that came across on Twitter a little bit ago. Dallas Cowboys the first sports franchise who could be valued at more than ten billions.
Speaker 2: Oh, I didn't see the story, but I figured that would be the number ten billion dollars. And how holds Jimmy Jones, Garry Jones like one, Jimmy Jones, Jesus, Eve, Jimmy Johnny, everybody, Jimmy, Johnny Sanchez, what's Google?
Speaker 3: Jerry Jones?
Speaker 2: I think he's eighty something's something, and some people I know in Dallas think that he'll probably sell it instead of letting the kids take over, because because he just wants to, you know, just just to say that he did what he did and they'll move on and I'll let Yeah. I thought he's like eighty four and he's been doing this for now almost thirty years.
Speaker 3: I think he's got some hard mind. Yeah, he's it probably doesn't. But he looks like it's been.
Speaker 2: Twenty six, twenty eight years since the last time they won a Super Bowl or one past got to the Semis. Yeah, so he was that's what fifty fifty years fifty years old, almost fifty three years old. That's a long time. Yeah, it's a long time. I won't even mention what happened in ninety seven, So it's a long time.
Speaker 3: Just yeah, I know, stop you really really really just have to go.
Speaker 2: Just for reference, just for reference. But Dollas, the Dallas Cowboys in Arizona Wildcatchers have the same kind of life. It's kind of like it was yesterday, but it wasn't. Yeah.
Speaker 3: But the reason it's the narrative on this is that, Okay, you're worth ten billion dollars, but you won't pay your players to you know, yeah, enough to win you a championship with the hell.
Speaker 2: You But they've tried, they tried. They're just I'm not saying they've.
Speaker 3: Just been wrong, right right again. They hung their hat on Dak Prescott. What's that that they think at least five you know, and he just hasn't been that good and he has stuck by him.
Speaker 2: I think it's five five or six, maybe more five or six, but you know.
Speaker 1: But.
Speaker 3: You'd think that he'd be able to go get himself. Dak Prescott's just good enough to get your beat and like.
Speaker 2: The guy he replaced.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just like.
Speaker 2: Twenty sixteen, so seven eight years though, yeah, so so obviously, I from Santa Fan and ninety five percent of the people love the Cowboys because that's what they grew up on on TV at their Bible. And I give him I used to be that guy. I used to be that guy and just kind of grew out of it, thankfully. When to Dallas to maybe possibly work to cover them a dream, you know. So I came here, I worked the morning news there, came here, realized that was gonna happen, and I go back and I just say they're all delusional because they hang on hope. They hang on hope that And I said, how young were you when they won the last one? Right, And there were teenagers or were in their twenties, and now they're their fifties. And I'm not trying to be mean and bitter like Bill says, I'm just telling you. I'm just telling you that's what it's like. Raider fans too. Yeah, you can go down the list of those fans, Raider fans, Cowboy fans. Where else am I gonna go? Miami Dolphin fans It's been a while.
Speaker 3: Yeah, although you know what, Mammy, Dolphins fans get kind of like you guys are a bunch of weenies. You wear awkle get out of here, so nobody likes you.
Speaker 2: So they're not gonna win anywhere. Yeah. Right, the Charger fans even.
Speaker 3: Fans, right, uh you know who? Every year the Chargers look like they got you know, they've got a team.
Speaker 2: Right because they're quarterback. Yeah, in my Bears, it's been a while for the Bears, right, yeah, b well, Broun's they're like the the Brons, just on the schedule. Yeh, don't don't tell the Browns just suck. All right, Okay, we gotta go around there, all right, one more segment. We're gonna take your cost five to zero four one six, seventy four to forty.
Speaker 3: If you want to give us a bus, we're here. Uh, stick around.
Speaker 2: If you're an Arizona Man's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Loudolsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one Email me at Steve dot Rivera ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 8: Hi, this is formal while get mon hontly with Arizona Health. Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space in your life. We offer a complete line of cardio machines, multigms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you up with coright equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our shareroom today at twenty second in Wilmot, Arizona Health the lead edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 13: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from in financial laid available, It's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at PEMA dot edu. Slash Someday. Ready to save but not sure where to begin? Take the Pyramid Federal Credit Union ten thousand dollars saving challenge and we'll guide you along the way. Save five hundred dollars over six months as a member and you could win big.
Speaker 2: Watch your savings grow to help you reach goals like buying a car.
Speaker 14: Owning a home and more.
Speaker 2: Visit Pyramid FCU dot com Slash ten k challenge to get started today.
Speaker 14: That really insured and CUA.
Speaker 2: Do you want to be part of a winning team?
Speaker 11: A Team Security is looking for friendly, outgoing event security guards and event staff to be a part of our team. We've been providing our outstanding services to some of Arizona's biggest sporting events and concerts.
Speaker 2: For over twenty years. We want you to join the action.
Speaker 11: A Team offers a fun and exciting opportunity to work in the sports and entertainment industry, with flexible schedules that are perfect for those looking for a part time job or a second income. Come be a part of a winning team The A Team apply online today at a teamsecurity dot net.
Speaker 1: Bravera and Jake and Salez they have their eye on the ball on twusum Sports Big yet Fox Sports fourteen fifty streaming live. I mean iHeart Radio wams Hey.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to I'm the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, He's Jagan Zawas you're Ryan. We got sixteen minutes we'd like to hear from you. Five two oh four one six seventy four forty. If this is your first time listening or whatever, give us a call. We'd like to hear from you. Getting ready for football soon. We are listen a little bit more than two weeks. At the college level, here we go one call right away, right, Hi, you're on the air.
Speaker 3: And I on the ball.
Speaker 15: Hey, how you doing good?
Speaker 2: How are you good?
Speaker 15: Yeah? I heard you tell you essay about the U by scheduling and game time and stuff like that. Yeah, And I didn't get a chance to call in that. I mean, I don't like to late game times either. Well, mean of them is why they followed their schedule so many home games so early in the season.
Speaker 2: That's a good question is do they do they?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 3: They they they the pretty much like most teams do. They'll schedule their three non conference games at the top of the schedule, and there's one likes to play two of those at home every year, and and and they'll go one on the road. So that it has more to do with than the back end of the schedule. The last nine games are all conference games. It's rare that there's a conference game in the middle of those first three games. So it has to do with you know, they want to they want to have more home games than than road games every year. Uh, and so that's that's just the way it works out.
Speaker 2: Do you typically go to the games?
Speaker 14: Oh yeah, I've been going, like forever. I'm as old as hob so.
Speaker 15: I mean, but as I got older, I don't like the laces starts. I don't like when it half times at ten o'clock.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 15: This year, this year they have a game late season home games Houston. You know that game is a Friday night. Yeah, that's nuts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's TV.
Speaker 2: Isn't that funny though, because when they thought they went to the Big twelve, the late games after dark stuff would be ending, and now it's still continuing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I I I yeah, I like to think that, but I think you're you're right, Uh this is co right Yeah yeah, okay, I'm with you on that. But but like you know, because we're looking at the first couple of games. Seven thirty game is the opener, which is standard, and.
Speaker 2: You can't have it right right.
Speaker 15: I get that, I know, I know, late early in the season.
Speaker 14: I get it.
Speaker 15: My life, you shouldn't go because it's so late.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that that that Houston game, that Friday night game. That's a that's a that's a TV thing that that uh is a guy went to high school.
Speaker 2: Oh then you okay.
Speaker 3: And and uh and it's uh, you know, that's that's TV making that call. And as much as we'd all love to not see that, you know, a ride November fifteenth, it's it could be cold by that time, well cold for us, you know, eight fifteen Friday.
Speaker 15: Night game, say one o'clock start.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you think about it in Houston. In Houston, that's a nine to fifteen game. I just don't understand why they do that.
Speaker 2: I know, well, you're still young man, You're still a young man.
Speaker 15: I don't feel like I'm eighty.
Speaker 2: We all do, We all did.
Speaker 3: The question is the question is do you walk like you're eighty like I do? Sometimes? Right? Yeah, of course, yeah, No, I agree with you. You know, i'd like to think that we're not going to see a lot of these like Okay, the September thirteen game, Friday night game at Kansas State, that's five five o'clock our time, So you know, I mean, it's just it's just a matter of what TV decides you want to do. But I'm a yeah, I'm a little puzzled by that eight to fifteen game that's got Houston in it. I mean, if Arizona was playing by U or Utah, uh, you know, or even Colorado in that game, you say, okay, eight fifteen, I get it. Everybody's in the same time. Somebody, you're a Houston fan, you're pissed off at that game? I know. Yeah, yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 15: We had the bar for three hours. I think, got to watch a football a game.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 3: Now you know we were We've been friends a long time. But hey, thanks a bunch, man, appreciate it, thanks for listening. I shouldn't say this about him, but this guy could used to be able to eat a mountain of bacon and.
Speaker 2: He's still with those Vegas buffets and he's still he's one of your guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was legend. Guy was legendary. You're legend at Vegas buffet? Another too expensive? Exactly exactly. Anyways, No, I didn't realize that that game was was that late. But let's take this high. You're on the air and I on the ball.
Speaker 16: What's up, hey, man, First thing, Arizona did not trade in softball was coaching.
Speaker 3: They did. We figured that out. That correct, We got it.
Speaker 15: And Steve Man.
Speaker 12: He seems shocked.
Speaker 16: Man about about what that color bill said about every time this?
Speaker 2: Nico, thanks for the observation. You're exactly right. But but he was wrong about well did you hear the conversation? I heard it.
Speaker 6: Put you put everyone in a box.
Speaker 2: Man, I feel defended.
Speaker 3: I put you in a box so you will get out, which said to keep you out of trouble, throw the key for you. Exactly.
Speaker 2: But good observation. You should be a psychologist when you go something like that.
Speaker 15: Man, you're like Maverick after Gooseta.
Speaker 2: Get over that, man, I guess we all do. I don't, Man, I hold on to it. I'm a grudge. I didn't realize. I'm like Jay, that's make.
Speaker 3: A good That's the best thing is it's ever been said about you. You're like Maverick after a goose Dag. Tell me explain the top Gun. You thought about him all the time. Yeah, yeah, he was just like shattered by it.
Speaker 6: You have to watch taf Gun now because now you're disappointing me.
Speaker 3: I gotta go smoke a giant relax.
Speaker 2: Relax, I guess apparently I need to smoke one too.
Speaker 3: You know, you know you got a little touchy on that one.
Speaker 2: I did because he's wrong.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, okay, that's beside the point.
Speaker 2: What's the point.
Speaker 3: The point is that who cares?
Speaker 2: Okay, that's it. Good point, that's good.
Speaker 3: Exactly. Look Bill, we didn't you know, we're not, I mean into this you here, but you know we disagree with the with your defense. Oh look again, we try to explain it. We do generalize, but you know, I think we're explained that we were talking majority of fans as opposed to all fans, right when we say things like that, right, because I mean I've said that about our about Arizona fans. I've said I've sat here and said I hate Arizona fans. Yeah, in fact, because they love because you know, for various reasons, right, because they don't show up to games, or they complain about the late game, but then they don't come when they're play an early game, or.
Speaker 2: But but they're also their explanation, like like Hote what's his name Coke Coke said, I mean you don't want to be there eight thirty. You just don't.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: So they have great points too.
Speaker 3: I mean, I mean, I I mean, is it is an eight to fifteen game good for our show? Yeah, because we can do the show on Friday. I can still go tailgate a couple hours and go to the game. And speaking of you know, we got that that Kansas State games at five o'clock on a Friday. On a Friday, we're gonna be doing our So we're gonna close our show and I'm gonna have to listen to the first half.
Speaker 2: Hours in the car. That's tough life.
Speaker 3: That upsets me.
Speaker 2: Tough life, Well, you get to listen to Brian.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna leave it for thirty that day.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll handle the rest White care apparently.
Speaker 3: What can't you know what? You know what it's again, it's it's giving me.
Speaker 2: The we'll be in the new we'll be in the new place too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's throwing me back to that. Remember remember when the Arizona played a s U in the COVID game. Yeah, and it was a five o'clock game and we had Ricky Houndley on. I remember that, and we're talking about, oh, Arizona's you know, they're gonna, you know, finally, and then we go home and turn it on and it's like, gone, all they have.
Speaker 2: Well I was there, I was there, and and you were you were listening at home. It was a six o'clock game, I remember, I don't remember because it was that was a shell shot game. And you're thinking, is he gonna come out of the locker room at halftime? Did did? Did he go in there? And you're fired right there?
Speaker 3: Yeah he should have. Yeah, she had taken his keys right there. I felt that about. There was a U c l A game that Arizona in Macovick's last year that I want I wanted somebody to not let Macavic come out for the second half. And it was it was really really it was a thing where Arizona was getting its ass beat bad and U c l A has a third and forty one they get and they got the first down because they got thirty nine yards on third down, and then they got the first down on fourth down. And I wanted I wanted them to take his keys right there while he was still on the field. That's how bad that got. And so yeah, no, but anyway, I'm giving a little, I'm getting myself a little to throw back to that hole that that ACU game. When that you have a five o'clock, a five o'clock game on TV like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember that. Here was we had the Ricky then he wasn't here, obviously he was in l A. And they were they're hopeful. They were hopeful right to meet him and not even close.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it was I mean, it was.
Speaker 6: It was.
Speaker 3: It was win that game or you're winless for the seat for it was a short season, but you were you were gonna You're gonna have a winless season, and they did and they got their asses kicked. It was and it was worse than any of any of us thought it could possibly get.
Speaker 2: It was just the worst. God and then two days later, two days later, it was over. Yeah or later, Okay, it was. It was impossibly. He made well that that game was on. When that game Friday, Yeah, they played, they played Saturday. I guess they played.
Speaker 3: Put nothing he got let go on Sunday.
Speaker 2: It was a basketball game during a basketball game. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Anyways, all right, okay, so it's Steve, you're just your your sensitive.
Speaker 2: I'm just a flower. I need to be watered, seen some sunshine. I didn't say that, but okay, well that's what flowers need Yeah, but then the lion and the lands are flat and yeah, you're singing in the ring. Then there'll be a rainbow.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Okay, we've lost. We've got fact, we've got six minutes. Here, we get a call. Somebody save us with a call here. This is what happens when you don't have guests. You know, it's funny because it's weird. I'm looking at the Arizona schedule, and by this time, pretty much every year I know Arizona schedule, but mostly because I know the teams, right, I don't know Arizona schedule, you know. I mean if you said, okay, who are they playing after? For Utah, I would know Texas Tech because we had the Texas Tech T but I wouldn't have been able to tell that it's b YU. Then it's Colorado, then it's West virgin West Virginia's gotta come here. Then they go to Central Florida, Houston TCU, and all I would know is as US the last game. It's weird to not all of this is so new and we're so unfamiliar with everything that I don't even really know the schedule.
Speaker 2: I got a question.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I noticed some of the games still don't have star times that normal for this TV.
Speaker 3: They said, the games, it's a like if there's a game on Saturday, they have to set it two Mondays before that. Let's take this call. Hire on there and I on the ball.
Speaker 16: Hey, I was just thinking of a really cool segment you guys could do in the future based on what you guys are talking about. So I was thinking of like a mount rushmore of people we would like to see how fired at halftime? That Yeah, I nominate Chris Rodgers.
Speaker 2: This is like Chris Rodgers, guy, what what's your what did? You may not even have an answer for this? What's your beef with him?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 16: I stud him for many years, graduated undergraduate playing because basically all the U of A basketball players during the since ninety four all the way up to like therapy or mid two thousand, so he was just the most most were pretty cool and chill and and not like show offs or or just negative. With the amateur players you know playing at the rec center, I heard those have the same attitude. I think that got him kicked off the seed, right, Yeah, I remember he was, you know, he was still undergraduate, well working on his first degree, and and and I just respected him by putting my hands down during industue a three poiner, and then he didn't like that, didn't make any three He's my team won. And then from there though, it just turned into this rivalry.
Speaker 3: I've heard some legendary he's been was legendarily a bad guy and pick up at the direction.
Speaker 15: Yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 16: And then he came back to work on his masters about eight years later, and I was like, oh my goodness, what is he doing here? And then he explained it, and I thought he started out with a better attitude, but then he would it just it clicked and he I think he remembered me and I put my arms behind my back and.
Speaker 2: He got kind of mad those moments.
Speaker 3: All right, that's that's that's an interesting topic.
Speaker 2: Outside of that though.
Speaker 3: Okay, no, no, did you say coaches or just coaches and players?
Speaker 16: Oh, with any any anyone involved with you of athletics.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Marcus Williams.
Speaker 2: It's another one. Well at halftime, it's fine a half time okay, yeah, yeah, it depends what that Okay, Okay, all right, that's another one. Very good.
Speaker 3: That's a good one, all right, man, Thanks for the call. That's pretty funny.
Speaker 2: I haven't had to deal with too many. Uh, well, I'll give you one. I'll give you one because I don't him and he is probably one of the gun on me a ton to jim O Horn. Wow.
Speaker 3: Okay, another quick call Hiro on the air and one on the ball.
Speaker 6: Hey guys, I got a quick question. Man, what do I need to have to make sure I can see all the games? I have comcasts, but like this last I missed a bunch of the Olympics because my box was the wrong box or something.
Speaker 3: You have to You have to have ESPN Plus and that that's streaming.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 3: If you have a smart TV, the ESPN app should be on your TV and that makes it easy to get to. But you need ESPN Plus. I'm a Comcast guy too, so my ESPN Plus account is through my Verizon account. I get it free because I've got Verizon. That's the way to do it. Okay, if you've got Verizon, you should be able to get an ESPN Plus account. Look, go on, go on to your go on to your Verizon account and see if you can get that. And that ESPN Plus is what you'll need for all the games that aren't going to be on network in the Big twelve. All right, there you go.
Speaker 2: Hey, this kind of just then too. The Minnesota quarterback J. G. McCarthy could be out for the year, so torn meniscus, did you have that earlier.
Speaker 5: But not that he could be out for the year. Well, I said that the terminating still early. Yeah, yeah, yeah, all right, that was fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Right now now I'm gonna and I'm gonna start. My brain is gonna start working towards guys at Arizona. Cliff just absolute, I'll.
Speaker 2: Give you my quick Jamail horse. For So, it was during the Kevin O'Neill year, right, he playing and it was to my horn, right, Uh, so we're out and he hadn't played very much because Kevin OI didn't play much. We're Washington State, Bruce and I and he had had it finally played and he had a good game and I went to talk to him in the locker room and he says, I'm not talking to you. I'm thinking, what I'm not talking to you? But I'll talk to Bruce and he says, you never talked him during the year, And I'm thinking there was never, never reason, never a reason to Okay, so then they played in the in the rest of the summer. Says. Then he talked to me, He says, put this in your paper, And I said, Jammel, if I had a paper, I would put it in there.
Speaker 3: Jamel, let me, let me, let me commit this intentional foul.
Speaker 2: That deserves amount rush for who does that? And then he did it again. Yes, there with ten days. Within ten days.
Speaker 3: Oh God, you brought up a bad name for a lot of the guys I know too. All right, we got to get out of here. Thanks for being here. We will be back tomorrow.