Speaker 1: You're listening to an airwave media podcast.
Speaker 2: You ever hear the one about the mad scientists who tried to create life, about how things got complicated and the monster itself wondered if it had a soul or if it was merely a puppet that looked like a sentient being. Oh, that story's old, really old, perhaps far older than you might imagine. Before Commander Data, before Pinocchio, before Frankenstein, there was the man made monster called the Homunculus. And if you wanted to make a Homunculus, you really had to take matters.
Speaker 3: Into your own hand.
Speaker 4: It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 5: A giant, hairy creature Part eight, Part mass in Luckness, a twenty four mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland. It's a creature known as the Luckness Monster.
Speaker 4: Monster tal.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith and today Ben Radford and Karen Stolesno and I interview a historian of science. It's a really fun interview about a monster that's a little known today, but it's had more of an impact on history and scientific thought than you might imagine. And just so we're clear. The word monculus has a more common meaning in science today. Roughly, it's used to represent the idea of consciousness being a little being inside you, and that's a great topic for discussion on its own, but outside the scope of this episode. This episode is about one of the strangers creatures we've ever discussed on Monster Talk, and come to think of it, I should mention right now that we're going to be talking about some of the more solitary aspects of human sexuality in this episode. So if you have young ones listening, this might be a good time to switch over to see what those wacky kids big pictures science are up to.
Speaker 3: You've been warned more Instrutle. So today we're going to interview Professor William R.
Speaker 2: Newman of Indiana University's Department of History and Philosophy of Science. He's the author of seven books, including Promethean Ambitions, Alchemy, and The Quest to Perfect Nature, which includes a fascinating chapter on the topic of today's show, the homunculus. So just getting started, let's begin with the basics. What is a homunculus.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, I mean a homunculus was essentially an artificial human being.
Speaker 2: I mean so you know, I had always imagined them as being something that an alchemist might create as a little servant or a helper. But I'm not really sure that's accurate. Was it more of a science experiment or were they supposed to actually be useful or what's sort of the purpose there.
Speaker 6: Well, that's a complicated question because these quests to create our artificial humans have a long history.
Speaker 7: Actually, they go back to.
Speaker 6: Probably late antiquity, the early Muslim period maybe, and anyway, the goal changed over time, right, I mean, I could give you an entire history of this if you like, but it's a little bit elaborate.
Speaker 2: Yes, we'd love to hear a long form you know, maybe you know, five minutes or so or whatever you can on.
Speaker 6: The history of the monculus if you get all right, all right, well look I'll whole.
Speaker 3: Chapter, so I know you can get some words out of.
Speaker 7: All right, I'll start at the beginning.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The earliest you know, really identifiable on monculus is in this Arabic story called the Story of Solomon and Apsal, which is a frustrated love affair between these two character There is Solomon and Absol, and it turns out that Solomon is a homunculus who was created by his father, this mythical king Harmanus, who may be Hermes Trismegistus, another mythical figure, who wanted to have a child without as it were, you know, defiling himself by having sexual intercourse. That's the primary message behind this story that it's possible to have an artificial child in a bottle.
Speaker 7: Basically, what the king.
Speaker 4: Does is he masturbates and produces some seman that way and puts it in a mandrake root, a hollow mandrake root, and then his court advisor, a wise man named kalie Kulas, apparently heats it up for a period of time and generates this child, Solomon in the mandrake root. Now, the purpose of this, if there is a purpose, is once again simple for this king to be able to remain an ascetic and yet have a child. Right. So, the homunculus Solomon is apparently a pretty normal human being. He doesn't have magical powers or anything like that. He just happens to be a child that is produced artificially. But as you progress through time, the role of the homunculus changes so that by the time you get to the sixteenth century and Paracelsus, who is quite an amazing character in his own right, talks about the Homunculus, or at least somebody writing under the name of Paracelsus, and a work called on the Nature of Things. The homunculus has become this sort of semi magical figure who has all sorts of prophetical powers and can help the owner of the homunculus somehow to win battles in this sort of thing. So, yeah, the role of the homunculus changes as the legend evolves over time.
Speaker 1: And didn't the ingredients change as well that we used in this formula.
Speaker 4: No, actually not. It's actually in this text that I'm talking about. Was published in fifteen seventy two, this work on the Nature of Things, which is probably not really by the historical Paracelsus. The homunculus is once again produced out of human sema that is sealed up in a flask and allowed to incubate for I believe forty days and forty nights.
Speaker 8: So I'm trying to picture this is it basically just is a human size figure. In a lot of the Lord that I've read, it was supposed to be a small, tiny man anywhere from six inches to a few feet high? Is it? What does the physically look like? Is it just like a small person? What is it?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Well, in this part a Selsian treatise, it starts out small, but the author is ambiguous as to whether it grows to a fully sized figure or not. So you could really read the text either way. And yeah, certainly some other texts that talk about homunculi do maintain that, Yeah, they would remain small, but the smallness is not really the key issue. What's really key about all of these reports that I mentioned so far is that they claim that the homunculus is produced out of semen alone. Now that really is important if you think in terms of pre modern theories of human generation. I mean, all of this really ultimately harks back to Aristotle and of course Aristotle's follower Galen, the medical writer of the second century AD, because these guys bought into the theory that the way human generation works is that the semen, the male semen acts on the menstrual blood of the female. So the female menstrual blood supplies the matter and the semen provides the form. All right, So what that means is that if you could create a human being without the menstrual blood. You'd be creating it without the matter. That's sort of celestial human being that was not weighed down by the sort of prison of material existence. I think that's the operative idea behind this.
Speaker 2: How did Aristotle become such a major influence in medieval Europe.
Speaker 3: I've always been curious about that.
Speaker 4: Well, Yeah, Aristotle, of course wrote a huge corpus, and he was a brilliant man.
Speaker 7: He was sort of.
Speaker 4: The creator in a way of formal logic, and his logical works had been known in the early Middle Ages. It's his works on natural philosophy in particular that came to be known in the twelfth century and later in Western Europe.
Speaker 7: And it happened that.
Speaker 4: A huge movement to translate Greek scientific works into Latin from Arabic. The Arabs had translated a lot of this stuff already in the Arabic took place during the twelfth century. And this was more or less coincident with the period when the universities started coming into existence in twelfth thirteenth century. So at the same time as you have this marvelous institution of organized knowledge coming into existence, namely the European universities, you're also getting this huge quantity of material translated from Arabic into Latin, much of which happens to be Aristotle's works, right, So it's kind of a fortunate coincidence in a way that you have all of this material coming at the same time with this institution of learning and suddenly becoming available to the learned world.
Speaker 2: Was this kind of this information, this Aristotelian knowledge, or at least at the alchemy level, was in the homunculus legend in general? Was it widely known, was it widely believed in by the general populace, or was this something just for their you know, the medieval nerd.
Speaker 4: You know, I would say on one level, it was for the medieval nerd. That is, it's something that theologians discussed and some of their treatises and then alchemists discussed.
Speaker 7: However, on another.
Speaker 4: Level, people did believe, certainly, I think widely, that there were demons and so forth they could visit one at night and collect one's you know, nocturnal emissions and so forth, and make monsters out of them. And what happened was that various theologians then interpreted that sort of legendary idea about what demons could do. They interpreted that as the creation of amuncula. So it's sort of an intermixture of popular belief and the kind of scientific gloss on that popular belief.
Speaker 1: And so what separated alchemy from black magic in the eyes of medieval authorities.
Speaker 4: They really were very, very distinct in the eyes of medieval authorities. The reason for that is because you know, alchemy per se, right, was just a manipulation of matter. You took various minerals, or, in the case of making amunculus, which you know really wasn't a common thing, right, you take bodily fluids and so forth. But all of that was considered to be perfectly natural. Right. It didn't involve, let's say, the invocation of demons, it didn't involve witches, it didn't involve sacrifices or anything of that sort. It was just a natural activity, rather like cooking, right, So there's no particular reason why it should have been associated with magic. And generally speaking, if you mean by magic demonic magic, it wasn't.
Speaker 8: Personally first heard about the homunculus when I was a teenager playing Dungeons and Dragons, uh, and so I sort of a lot of times when I'm when i'm we're talking about these monsters and these creatures. One of the things I sort of flashed back to is, uh, is being being a teenage nerd looking through the Monster Manual and I actually happen to have a copy of the D and D fourth Edition. In the Monster Manual, it says that the alignment of it varies from for example, chaotic good to lawful evil. Uh, how does that sound right? What was what? What was Were they sort of aligned with its creator? Or was it just sort of did they have free will? What was the what was the thought the thought on that?
Speaker 4: Well, again, it depends on what author you're reading. Right, in this old story of Solomon and Absol, you know this created homunculus, Solomon just seems to be a perfectly normal human being. Right. On the other hand, if you look at some of the medieval treatises to discuss a monculi, they argue that they are more or less insentient. There's, for example, treatise ascribed to Thomas Aquinas, so it's not really by him, probably written in the fourteenth century, called on.
Speaker 7: The Essences of the Essence of Essences, and.
Speaker 4: This particular treatise talks about creating the homunculus as a kind of.
Speaker 7: A medical.
Speaker 4: Product. That's to say, the homunculus's blood is useful for some sort of maladies. But the homunculus, according to this author, will never actually have a rational mind. Okay, it can only vegetate, and it can you know, experience sensory material, but it can never reason. So it can never really be a fully human being. And that is a position that various other authors take as well. Right, So it just depends on which author you read. I mean, there was a lot of Actually this was one of the arguments about the homunculus. Can it actually be a fully rational human being? Or would God, in his wisdom prevent man from being able to create another fully human being.
Speaker 8: It sounds like it sort of touches on the Frankenstein you know mythology of this, you know, this artificially created entity and you know, is it a human? Is it not a human? You know, where does it go from there?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, that's that's a really good point. And I think Mary Shelley was in fact drawing on some of this older material about the creation of artificial human beings when she wrote Frankenstein. Yeah, they considered a lot of this sort of ethical issues you know that now come up in bioengineering and so forth. A lot of these issues came up in the context of discussing the homunculus.
Speaker 7: So it was sort of a moral problem, an ethical problem.
Speaker 4: It was kind of a focal point for discussion about issues, for example, the role of women in human generation. Is it the one just a hollow flask? As it were ridiculous as that sounds in terms of modern generative theory, you know, from the perspective of the Medievals and early moderns, it made a certain amount of sense. So there was a discussion about this and various other issues, again concerning the proper use for the homunculous. Is it ethically okay to dissect the homunculous and use its body parts, for example, in medicine. I mean, that's very much like the stem cell debate. You know, they were considering these same sorts of issues, though of course they couldn't do any of the things that we now can do.
Speaker 2: It's interesting, though, because it's not just Frankestine, it's also Pinocchio. I mean, the story you were talking about sounds like, yeah, a lot like Pinocchio, and you know, and not just stem cells, but also robotics and AI.
Speaker 3: It seems like this is a story or a creature.
Speaker 2: That, even though it's not widely known, I think by the general populace, it's got resonance at so many levels. It's just a fascinating legend. Did most of the lore in your research deal with how to make them? I guess I am still kind of curious about what can they do if you actually create one?
Speaker 3: Do they have? Are they? Are they servitors? Are they? Do they? Are they? You know?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 3: What can they do?
Speaker 4: Curiously, the medieval sources and and there's one in particular, beyond the one ascribed to Saint Thomas, there's another one that's even more bizarre, called the.
Speaker 7: Book of the Cow.
Speaker 4: And the Book of the Cow is from an Arabic manuscript, though we only have it in Latin. It got translated into Latin at some point, and that describes the creation of a homunculus that is uh intended to be dissected, and then you're supposed to be able to do stuff like uh uh use its blood to anoint your feet, and you'll be able to walk on water, and you know, all sorts of really bizarre claims about what this will allow you to do if you use its bodily fluid in one way or another. This is in fact part of a medieval and magical tradition called organotherapy, where you use different body parts to cure different types of diseases. Like if you have a bad headache, recurrent headache, you're supposed to go out and eat some human brain. If you are having a you know problem, you know, a sexual problem, you know, you're supposed to ingest bits of genitals or something like this. This is sometimes called direct apotheca filth pharmacy for obvious reasons.
Speaker 7: And this, this.
Speaker 4: Book of the Cow is full of that sort of thing. It's a very strange text.
Speaker 7: I have to say.
Speaker 3: So it's also a sympathetic magic.
Speaker 4: Right, yes, right, This is not explicitly demonic magic. It's a kind of natural magic, you know. That is to say, using the secret powers of material things, adding them together to you know, create more powerful medicine and so forth.
Speaker 1: You mentioning earlier you were talking about using the homunculus's blood for melodies and Frankenstein as well. I understand that the homunculus was kept alive by being fed human blood. So I'm wondering how the creature fits in with the larger vampire traditions.
Speaker 7: Oh, that's an interesting question. Yeah, it's true.
Speaker 4: In the pseudo Paracelsian book on the Nature of Things, he does say. The author does say that you're supposed to feed the homunculus what he calls the arcanum of human blood, which is probably blood that is combined with a mineral acid and allowed to sit for a while. It's not entirely clear what this arcanum of human blood is.
Speaker 7: I don't think there's.
Speaker 4: A direct connection with the vampire legend, but there are all sorts of, of course, miraculous properties associated with human blood, particularly the idea that it contains some sort of pneumatic spiritual substance that has life giving properties. So I think that's what the pseudo Paracelsian author is drawing on.
Speaker 8: I'm trying to picture, you know, sort of how this fits in the broader scheme of monsters and things like that. I mean, were there were there was it a case of where there were many of these monculated running around or is it a case of where there were really only one or two or three sort of you know, you could basically you could just name them instead of just calling them by their generic name.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 8: You know again you talked earlier about the one with Paracelsus. Are there supposed obviously? Are there races of these? Are there thought to be? You know many of them are just sort of a singular entity or how does that work?
Speaker 4: Well, if you look at the theologians who discuss the origin of races like the Huns in particular, there's a tradition that the Huns were created by intercourse between demons and humans, and that receives a kind of homuncular and reportation. Actually, in the fifteenth century, the way that this sort of intercourse was supposed to happen was a succubus, a female demon was supposed to come during a dream and you know, induce nocturnal emissions which would then be collected by this demon and somehow then transferred to human female and doctored up to create in this case, the sort of super race, namely the Huns. Another example of this kind of story is in the tradition that the Celtic magician Merlin was a monster produced in this fashion. So yeah, some people did think that that the Huns were race of homunculi, so obviously they didn't stay small.
Speaker 2: How does a homunculus compared to wait, the plural is homunculi, right, yep, okay, right, So in case you ever run into more than one, How does a monkeylus compared to a gollum or other kinds of magical living creations from.
Speaker 3: Lore of the time.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's a really good question. Some people have argued that the golam.
Speaker 4: Tradition is closely related to the monculus tradition. I think they're very, very distinct, actually, because if you look at the way that a golam was supposed to be created, it was supposed to be done by verbal magic, you know, employing the magic of Hebrew letters the golum. One story from the sixteenth century is a golam was.
Speaker 7: Made out of clay with the.
Speaker 4: Hebrew word ms on its forehead, meaning truth, and then the first letter was erased, converting that to the word for death, and then the golum would collapse. Unfortunately, in this particular story, it collapses on its maker because he didn't have the good sense to get out of the way when he erased the first letter.
Speaker 7: But you see, all of that has.
Speaker 4: To do with creating something by means of words. It has nothing to do with this sort of wet a life method that the alchemists were involved in, using semon and so forth. It's an entirely different tradition in my opinion.
Speaker 1: Obviously, the homunculus is closely tied into mythology and folklore. Were there different culture bound versions of the homunculus around the world or did it stick more or less faithful to its original version?
Speaker 4: Well, in the sense you know that the homoculus involves this attempt at artificial generation employing males only. I mean, there is a very distinct tradition of this, again going back to this late Antique or early Islamic period and carrying through all the way to the seventeenth century. Certainly, so that is a very distinct tradition. But what changes is the interpretation of the homoculus, that is, what does it do, what is it good for? And again, and I think a lot of this devolves upon using the homunculus as a way of sort of raising ethical concerns about the limits of what we would call science. Actually, I think that the homunculous issue, right, whether human beings can make an artificial human is closely related to the alchemical issue of whether alchemists can make gold. In the one case, it is a question of whether we can make the very pinnacle of creation itself, namely the human being. And the other case is the question whether we can make the pinnacle of mineral creation, namely our artificial gold. So the two issues are actually closely interrelated, and they were topics that people like to discuss. You know, it's sort of in a way thought experiments.
Speaker 7: You might say.
Speaker 8: One of the things that really intrigued me about homunculi is that they're not that well known. You know, if you look in the you know, the penally of all these different monsters you've got wear wolves, of course, are empires are always permently hot, bansheese, ghosts, elves, trolls, things like that. But but homunculi are you know, certainly far less known. What what do you suppose that is? Is it just a matter of just authors and and and you know, filmmakers just aren't as interested in these creatures because they don't kill people and they're not as threatening, or do you think why do you think they've been sort of overlooked in in pop culture?
Speaker 4: I couldn't really answer that question except to say that maybe they haven't been overlooked as much as you're suggesting. I mean, if you view again, you know, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein as a sort of modern day derivation of these old legends about artificial life, then you know, maybe they really haven't been ignored.
Speaker 8: Yeah. But I mean, for example, if you if you ask people about Frankenstein, they're not going to say, oh, that's a that's a version of the homunculus.
Speaker 4: But actually there are, if I recall correctly, homuncula i in the Hollywood Sollywood version of Frankenstein.
Speaker 2: Actually it's Pride of Frankenstein. Yeah, that's where they show up. Yeah, yeah, that I was actually going to bring that up. They show up in the I forget the name of the character. Was that Messenger is the actor, I believe, and he brings in these He's got these little beakers with.
Speaker 3: Little homunculus homunculi.
Speaker 2: And they appear to be you know, tiny people dressed in the in the in the period costumes, and it's an amusing.
Speaker 3: Scene unless you know the lore of the homunculus.
Speaker 2: And then it's kind of creepy because, uh, that old man's been busy.
Speaker 8: Well, I guess that that's one of the things that this sort of strikes me is that is that, you know, certainly if you look at its origin and its ties to alchemy and and you know, life creation, it's it's very very interesting, at least it is to us. But in terms of you know, again compared to werewolves, compared to vampires, ghosts and things like that, you can see how it would be somewhat less interesting, just sort of other than from a historical point of view. If you're going to write a story about monculus, then sort of okay, well we've created him, now what to do. He doesn't turn into a bat, you know, he's not in terms of wherewolf, he's not going to thank chains.
Speaker 4: So it was basically a sort of Ariadite tradition, I think, the mounculus, but it was related once again to these more popular folk traditions, for example the man Drake. I already mentioned that in the story of Solomon and Absol. But there's another connection with the Homunculus too, and that is with another Paracelsian work, this one by the genuine Paracelsus, where he says that the mandrakes that are sold on the street that look like human beings are completely fraudulent. Okay, they're carvings made by swindlers. But he says there's another kind of man drake that is a homunculus. And this harkens back to an old story about the mandrake as a gallows man galgenmn galgan manline, as they say in German, and the idea was that the mandrake root is formed beneath the bodies of decaying criminals who've been left on the gibbet after being hanged. And the idea that Paracelsus is developing is that what happens is that bodily fluids from the decaying body dripped down into the ground and are incubated in the warm ground. And the demand drake is literally a homunculus made the same way that you would do it artificially, except that you would have flask if he did it artificially. So there is a definite interconnection there between the folk legend of the mandrake as a little miniature human being and the homunculus. In other words, Paracelsus is providing a sort of scientific explanation in the science of his day of a mandrakes really come about?
Speaker 2: After considering that legend and then also the writings of Aristotle on the same topic, considering how powerfully generative sperm was considered to be by people of the time, did they fear what would happen if you masturbated?
Speaker 3: I mean, was that like a real beyond just the sin concerns?
Speaker 2: Was that like a real issue about what people were doing with their semen?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I was. In particular, Paracelsus and yet another work that specifically devoted to the Mongulus writes extensively about the dangers of retention of semen. This was an actual medical aile month that's described in most medieval medical texts.
Speaker 3: The Yeah, I'm horribly familiar with it.
Speaker 4: The idea was that if you retain sema, and at least if you, you know, take Paracelsus's view, it's literally going to turn into homuncula inside of your body, right, associates all sorts of horrible alements with that. So you either have to get it out of your body, you know, by having children, or he actually suggests, well, you should go castrate yourself.
Speaker 8: Does those those two options? Excuse me?
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, you sure don't want to retain it in your body. That's a very very bad thing according to Paracelsus.
Speaker 8: Wow, I'm on the wrong path. I'm afraid.
Speaker 1: Were there any references or ties to the story of Owner and then from the Bible?
Speaker 7: You know, I can't think of any.
Speaker 4: Actually, Paracelsus does base a lot of his ideas on biblical sources. But what he's thinking of, in particular, this business about self castration, goes back to the Gospel of Matthew as I recall, where there's a passage saying something to the effect that there are two types of eunuchs, those who are castor than those who castrate themselves. And he takes that as a kind of an injunction that you should go out and take the matter into your own hands, so to speak.
Speaker 8: Wise, wise man, justin elders would be proud. I was reading one version of the story. I talked about how Paracelsus died of alcoholism, and that his monculus personally died along with him, maybe because he was no longer available to defeat his blood. Other versions suggest that it's actually still alive, you know, five hundred years later. What the game of his mounculus.
Speaker 4: Well, look, I mean, the genuine Paracelsus does not tell us to make a MONCULI. The genuine Paracelsus is the one who warns us about retention of semen. This work that is ascribed to Paracelsus on the Nature of Things is not really by him. This was published in fifteen seventy two, and it's just using some Paracelsian ideas to develop.
Speaker 7: Its own concepts.
Speaker 4: And it doesn't actually say that Paracelsus or the whoever this author was, made homunculus right. Instead, what it does is it tells you how to make a homunculus. Now that's a very very different thing, And I'm glad you raised that point because that raises an interesting issue about how people could have believed these things. In general, same thing was alchemical gold.
Speaker 7: Not too many.
Speaker 4: Alchemical texts say well, I made gold by means of the philosopher's stone.
Speaker 7: Rather they tell you how to do it right. In other words, it's.
Speaker 4: A kind of a lack of boundary between actually doing experiments and thought experiments. And I think that the homunculus was a sort of thought experiment.
Speaker 8: But it was a thought experiment that anybody could pretty much do right. I mean, anybody, any man who has access to you know, a jar and you know, a place to store it for forty days and forty nights can figure out whether this works or not.
Speaker 3: Right, you mean it's a testable hypothesis.
Speaker 8: Yes, that's exactly what.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and very likely people did try it, but you won't find anybody admitting to try it.
Speaker 1: Interesting question.
Speaker 3: Then I'm just saying I have things I won't say.
Speaker 2: I was interested to discover there's two pair of celsus, so there's a pair of paracelsus.
Speaker 3: That's kind of funny.
Speaker 2: I just am fascinated by this topic and it surprises me that.
Speaker 3: That it is, you know, so little known, like I say, outside of well monster nerves and in the history of science people. Right.
Speaker 2: I did notice that the mandrake legend, though, did make it into the Harry Potter series. I don't think. Yeah, they used the idea that they were raising real mandrakes in the magic I don't forget a magical herb garden that they had, and they had to feed them blood not their own.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: It was of course, if you pull them from the ground and they scream, well then that's lethal. So it was a fairly accurate rendition of the legend. They left off the part about collecting semen from under a gibbet, but you.
Speaker 4: Know, oh yeah, you know you mentioned the mandrake. There's also the story of a basilisk, this mythical creature that supposedly could kill you by looking at you, right, So the only way to kill it was to wear a suit of mirrors, and then it would have to look at itself and die.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 4: Actually, this very same text of Pseudo Paracelsus, it contains the method the recipe for making amunculus, also tells you how to make a basilisk. And the way to make a basilisk is to take a human female's menstrual blood and seal that up for forty days and forty nights, and that'll produce a basilisk. So, to my mind, what this illustrates is that it's a kind of a warped eugenic experiment.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 4: If you take a pure male right as it were, which is a monculus because it's made from male sema alone, it's this wonderful little being that can foretell the future and help you win battles. If you take a sort of pure isolated female on the other hand, which is the basilisk made from menstrual blood. Well, you get a basilisk, right, which has kind of a magnified It's a kind of magnification of all of the bad properties that were associated misogynistically with females, like the ability of a woman supposedly to ruin a mirror if she looks at it while she's having her period, right, Or that she can supposedly by holding a bottle of wine turn it sour. Well, the basilisk, of course, has the same sort of power. Only if a basilisk looks at you, it kills you, right, So.
Speaker 7: That sort of thing is going on too.
Speaker 4: It's this kind of weird, misogynistic eugenic thought experiment in the production of the muska, the homunculus, and the.
Speaker 3: Basilisk, absolutely fascinating.
Speaker 1: I think you started to answer this one, but why would someone go to the trouble of creating a homunculus. It seems like an awful lot of work, And surely in the Middle Ages there would have been plenty of slaves and street urchins and others that you could have forced into being a helper of some kind or with the typical duties requiring more magical abilities.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, a pseudo Paracelsus claims that the homunculus, if you carry it around with you, will help you in various ways, foretelling the future and helping you in battle. Those are the two things that you mentioned, which are magnifications I think of heroic virtues that were associated with males.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 4: There's also another link here, possibly with the man drake, because it was thought that if you had a man drake and you kept it sealed up or even in a bottle, it would bring you good luck. Some stories from the sixteenth and seventeenth century say that it'll even double your money if you have it wrapped up and put in a little box, right, and you put a coin in it and come back the next day, you'll have two coins, this sort of thing. So I think, once again that's the kind of bleed through the mandrake legend to the mounculus legend. So yeah, it was thought by some people to have real practical uses.
Speaker 1: And a bit like a genie as well.
Speaker 8: Yeah. In fact, in fact, that's that's a great transition to what I was wondering, which is that, as you said, it sort of came from Arabic Arabic origins and and the main I mean, there's a there's a variety of Arabic and Muslim influenced creatures, primarily genies and gin But I'm wondering how this fits in with, for example, the Qur'an, because we have we have we have genies you mentioned explicitly and repeatedly in the Quran, our homunculi mentioned in there. And if so, what's the connection between Islama and homuncula.
Speaker 4: I don't think that a moncular iron man in the Quran, though I can't swear to it. Yeah, I'm not sure there's a direct connection with Islam per se. There were plenty of Arabic sources, however, that did you know, talk about the creation of the homunculus. Another one that I haven't mentioned is the huge corpus of alchemical and natural magic treatises ascribed to Jabri even Ion. This Jabri even Ion supposedly lived in the eighth century and was supposedly a student of a person who's rather famous in the Islamic Habith literature named Jaffar Asadik. So there is some sort of connection there with Ismaili Islam, but not a connection directly with the Quran as far as I know, But at any rate, this jab Here, in some of the jab Here treatises, which can't possibly go back to the eighth century, they must be much later, you do have descriptions of the creation of an artificial human being in a kind of a rotisserie that is intended to be made out of a crystalline substance that mimics the celestial spheres at the center of which you make this artificial human being once again out of human semen, and it's supposed to have marvelous abilities. You're supposed to be able to convert female into a male this way, so once again you've got this sort of sexual agenda going, and it's supposed to have other magical properties as well. So yeah, there was a huge literature on artificial generation in Islam, but not so much linked to the Qoran per se.
Speaker 8: Right, And I guess the other thing that jumps to mind is that another big distinction between gin and homunculus is that is that gin were explicitly created by Allah and by God, whereas in the case of a monkeylis that they're not, I mean, you know, they're presumably you know, humans, albeit ones who have magical ability, but humans creating this instead of instead of gods. That's that's a very different origin there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then in fact that's the big issue. That's the big issue with a homunculus. Can a human being create another in souled individual or is that only God that can do that? And again that's where you get this discussion as to whether the homunculus can have a real soul, a rational soul that allows it to be full of human or not. And of course it's very convenient if you can say that no, it can't have a rational soul, because then you're free to dissect it and use its organs and so forth for all sorts of various magical or medical purposes.
Speaker 2: In terms of alchemy lore, it seems like alchemists are probably given a pretty.
Speaker 3: What do you, I guess, a bulleted sort.
Speaker 2: Of version when you go through high school and you know, college or at a low level college.
Speaker 3: Looking at the history of science, we.
Speaker 2: Get this sort of like they wanted to turn you know, basementals into gold, They wanted to find in the elixir of life, they wanted to create artificial life. And I think it seems like there was a lot more going on there, But this sort of claim seems like something that's imminently testable.
Speaker 3: Yet it was there a lot of.
Speaker 2: I mean, they obviously hadn't invented the scientific method by this point, and there wasn't really peer review exactly, but people were clearly communicating with one another, if by no other means than by comparing other people's writings and taking notes.
Speaker 3: So how did this sort of.
Speaker 2: Evolve into modern science? When did people think they were just making a recipe and the cake didn't rise? I mean, how did they account for the failure to be able to reproduce some of these effects?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a big question because you're talking about a huge period of time here, right. But look, I mean, even in the seventeenth century, right, there were very many people who took the claims of alchemy seriously, and of course Isaac Newton is one of them. So was Robert Boyle and John Locke. All of these guys were seriously involved in alchemy. Newton spent about thirty years studying alchemy, and we have his laboratory notebooks as a matter of fact, describing in great detail the experiments that he did. So the bottom line is they actually could do quite a lot of chemistry, and the term alchemy in the early modern period included not just the attempt to transmute base metals into gold, and included the whole realm of what we would call nowadays technical chemistry, right, which included all sorts of stuff like making alcoholic beverages, that is to say, isolating the ethyl alcohol out of them by means of distillation, making pigments that artists used. You know, you have artists handbooks from the fourteenth century, for example, that say, if you want to buy yellow pigment, go to alchemists and get it from them, because they know how to make it. So there's a whole realm with technical chemistry that was involved here. There was also a huge, huge realm of what we would call pharmacology, what they called cumiatria or yatro chemistry, that is, using traditional alchemical techniques like sublimation, distillation, lucidation, and so forth in the service of making drugs. Right. So, all this stuff is going on and people are by the sixteenth and seventeenth century, the general populace is coming to the awareness of what we would call the benefits of industrial chemistry. So you know, the transmutation of base metals and gold. That was just one part of this huge field.
Speaker 1: Well, build just a final question. We always like to ask our guests to tell us about their favorite monster. So what's your favorite monster?
Speaker 7: My favorite monster? Gosh, that's a tough one.
Speaker 4: Well, I guess you know. The one that I've written on, if he is a monster, certainly is the homunculus. But then there's the basilisk and the manager ache as well, which also qualify I suppose, so I think, yeah, No, my main sort of fascination with all of this is these attempts to create artificial life in general, and also the tweak life. Yeah. Actually, I'd like to say something about that. The alchemist's attempt to alter life didn't just limit itself to creating sort of arizots human beings. They also were interested in making modifications. And it's under that rubric of changing human beings that is, that's one of the avenues by which alchemy entered the popular discussion and helped to create the sort of image of the mad scientist in the nineteenth century. And this actually has been picked up in mainstream discussions of actually amazingly bioengineering and what I'm thinking of in particular is the use that at Leon Cass made in the President's Council on Bioethics under the George W. Bush administration of Nathaniel Hawthorne's story The Birthmark, which is about an alchemist who tries to alter his wife by removing a birthmark from her faith birthmark that looks like a hand and she's totally beautiful in every other way, but this birthmark drives him crazy. His name is Aylmer, but he's very clearly not just a chemist, though Hawthorne uses that term. He's an alchemist if you look at what he has in his laboratory, the kind of experiments he does, their traditional alchemy experiments. So at any rate, he kills his wife in the process.
Speaker 2: Boiler alert. Hey, but it works. He gets rid of the birthmark.
Speaker 7: He gets rid of the birthmark, but he kills his wife.
Speaker 4: So the President's Council in Bioethics made this required reading because they wanted to make people think about what Cast called the yuck factor. The yuck factor being what Cast viewed as a sort of trans chronological ethical good that people carry within themselves that he thought, you know, would make this sort of abuse of science, abhorrent to people. I happen to think that's completely wrong in my view. Hawthorne was in fact drawing explicitly on this alchemical discussion of artificial life and tweaking nature. And you know, this is something that people learn about, it's not something that you're born with.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of ethics require a little bit of training, so you can sort of draw your conclusions from a greater body of work than you may have conceived yourself. And then there's the sort of things that you sort of innately come to conclusions based on your experiences.
Speaker 3: This is complicated. I'll have to get Masimopilut here to talk about it.
Speaker 7: Is complicated, complicated book.
Speaker 4: But what people don't realize is that this discussion that was introduced by casts into you know, bioengineering considerations, actually has this long history going back to you know, the early Middle Ages, where alchemy plays a key part. So in a way, this we're still discussing the homeonculus. We just don't realize it.
Speaker 3: You've made that case very coachingly.
Speaker 8: But it's a fascinating topic on Yeah, this was.
Speaker 3: Great, thank you, and of course we'll put a link to your book in the show notes?
Speaker 5: Is it?
Speaker 3: What are you working on now? Is there anything we have to look forward to coming up?
Speaker 4: I am editing all of Isaac Newton's alchemical writings, which comprise about a million words, and if you could put a link to our site, I would appreciate that greatly.
Speaker 2: Sure, But are you doing anything important? That's beantastic. Yeah, that'd be a great.
Speaker 3: Thing to put in the show notes, and absolutely we'll put a link to it.
Speaker 2: So how do you find his writing? Is it pretty engaging? I heard he was kind of a dry read, but I've read in myself unfortunately.
Speaker 4: Well, it depends on what part of it you're looking at. He actually wrote a really fascinating little treatise on what he calls the vegetability of metals, and what he's concerned with is bringing metals to life literally so they'll grow and multiply.
Speaker 5: They.
Speaker 4: Newton, like a lot of alchemists in the period, interpreted processes like crystallization and dendritic growths of one sort or another, as you know, actual living processes. And we have some video clips on our site that show how this works. So it would be great if you could put links to that.
Speaker 3: Stuff. Yeah for sure.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, if you've ever watched crystals grow, it does have some really interesting parallels, and if you follow the evolutionary theory, it may be more than a coincidence, right So.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, yeah, in silica gardens in particular, and that is something that people in the seventeenth century were interested in.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, we'll put those links in the shows. This was really really interesting.
Speaker 1: So well, thank you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it's probably the most we've ever talked about the process of masturbation and the products of it. Maybe, I mean, well, I mean, you know that we'll leave in the show. I mean, thank you very much. This has been a wonderful, wonderful interview.
Speaker 7: Think well, I really enjoyed it. It was a pleasure. Thank you.
Speaker 2: More Obstrutle, thanks for listening to this episode of Monster Talk. We've been talking with Professor William Newman about the homunculus in the history of science and alchemy. A link to his book on alchemy, Promefean Ambitions, will be in the show notes. Also in the notes be a link to his web project, which is going through the notes of Sir Isaac Newton. Monster Talk is an official podcast of Skeptic Magazine. The views and puns on this show do not necessarily represent the opinions or sense of humor of the Skeptic Society or Skeptic Magazine. Good news, folks, The Monster Talk t shirt shop is now up and running. I've added the first design and we'll update it with more products as time allows. The link is shop dot monster talk dot org. I hope you can find something there you like. We've got another episode transcribed thanks to listeners like Robert Smith, Brian Beiden, Ronald Knoblock, and James Neeland. If you'd like to contribute, come to monster Talk dot org and click the donate button. These transcripts help Google bring new listeners to the show and help make Wikipedia references to our content easier for contributors. Monster Talk theme music is by Peach Stealing Monkeys.
Speaker 3: Intro music was a.
Speaker 2: Song called jar Cell by Pedway.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening.
Speaker 9: I want to stay abreast of the latest from Skeptic Magazine and the Skeptic Society. Want cutting edge skeptical articles delivered straight to your inbox every week, then subscribe to e Skeptic, the free electronic newsletter of the Skeptic Society. Visit skeptic dot com to sign up.
Speaker 3: Did I ever tell you about my first pinpal? No, There used to be the show on there used to be.
Speaker 2: The show on this show called Big Blue Marble that came on the seventies and on Saturday mornings.
Speaker 3: It was like the first thing to come on before the cartoons came on.
Speaker 2: And so I would get up in the morning and you know, be anxious to watch cartoons, and I would wait and the first thing to come up be Big Blue Marble. And at the end they kept saying you could get a pim pal, you know, just send a letter to here and we'll hook you up with a pim pal. And so I didn't really know what to do exactly, but I wrote a letter and it was like, you know, what's your name, where do you live? Do you you know, what do you like to do? Just you know, different things, different questions.
Speaker 3: You know. It's like, you know, my name is Blake, you know, whatever it is.
Speaker 2: I send it out and then I don't think much about it, and then, like I don't know, four or five weeks later, I get a letter back and it's just yes.
Speaker 3: No three. I have no idea what the questions were. I never wrote back. I was like, that's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Okay, I got to go take care of the kids, eat them or whatever it is that they need.
Speaker 3: I feed them blood and get them out of their jars and walk them so.
Speaker 8: As well as you shouldn't.
Speaker 3: All right, guys,