Speaker 1: When you hold this in front of me. Oh, yes, surely that's a little too high. Sorry. How long did it take you to make this? About a month? Uh? Did you use good steel?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yes, the very best. Well, some steals are better than others, you know. Oh yes, excuse me, I think you've got a bad piece, But better luck next time.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Amusing Jews, where we celebrate Jewish contributors and contributions to American popular culture. I'm Jonathan Friedman.
Speaker 2: And I'm Joey Angelfield producer.
Speaker 3: Engineer Mike Tomran is working somewhere behind the scenes. Amusing Jews is a project of a Dot Havreem Corregation for Humanistic Judaism, the Jewish Museum of the American West In I did studios. Hey Joey, what did the world's greatest escape artists do to escape the limelight? He read books.
Speaker 2: We're allowed to top with Barb Rosenstock, a picture book author whose latest book is Houdini's Library. Barb, Welcome to Amusing Jews.
Speaker 1: Thanks, it's really great to be here.
Speaker 2: What sparked your interest in Harry Houdini?
Speaker 1: Oh, I had this crush on Tony Curtis in the Old Houdini movie when I was like I don't know ten. My grandma was a big old movie buffin so anytime we go visit Grandma, you know, there was some old movie on and that one I can just remember being fascinated. So if anybody out there hasn't seen it, they really need to go look it up. The whole thing, the Tony Curtis muscles and the hanging upside down in the tank and the death on Halloween. You know, I just remember being really fascinated about that as a kid, not really particularly into magic, more just kind of like into Houdini. And then years ago now, I mean, I want to say it was about eight years ago. I was at the Library of Congress doing some research on Thomas Jefferson, had nothing to do with this particular book, and there's this little sign in the basement of the Library of Congress that says the Houdini Collection or the Harry Houdini Collection, And I just remember making a note like, what in the heck is there, Like what would be at the Library of Congress that was related to Harry Houdini. And I didn't know if it was, you know, I had this image of it being like some rabbit and an old topy haad or something. You know. I didn't really know, and just it took me a couple of books to get around to, like looking up what exactly was it at the Library of Congress, and it turns out to be Houdini's books, of which he had many.
Speaker 3: Mentioning the Tony Curtis movie, it's great that a Jewish actor was playing probably the most famous Jew in the world in his day.
Speaker 1: Rah. Yeah, I never I mean, I certainly didn't put it together then, but yeah, that's true. That's great.
Speaker 3: I want to give a shout out to the books artist mar delmar whose illustrations are themselves pretty magical. Could you describe her artwork for the book?
Speaker 1: Mar is essentially a she paints on paper then turns those little tiny paintings into physical paper objects, kind of like building a diorama. So like, for example, and I'm going to just use the book, like here is a page from the book, and these are all real built objects out of paper that she then sets up in a scene and photographs lights and photographs them so that they've got kind of a painterly but yet you can tell that they are real. Look to them, and it's it's kind of to me it was like having a doll, having someone take my words and the scenes that I had kind of created and turn them literally into a dollhouse like page by page Whudini's life, Like what did it really look like? What did it feel like to inhabit those spaces, whether they were on the stage or in his house in Harlem or wherever. And so Mars just an incredible detailed artist, and we really felt it was important to her work is so unusual that we felt it was important that she gets her own back matter. So in the back of the book, she's got two spreads to kind of explain. And kids have been finding that artwork, that explanation of the artwork completely fascinating. So I'm glad you guys noticed it and liked it. It's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's almost magical in the sense that it's like an optical illusion. Am I looking at a painting or a drawing? Or is this something different? It's like mysterious, like the subject matter of much of Houdini's own work, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's a photograph of a diorama kind of, I would say, But it depends because then she goes back in and she'll paint a little you know, or you know, so it's pretty cool. Yeah, yeah, we thought it was magical. The art director at Kadaf thought like, we're waiting, we're we've got a we got a magical artist, and we need a magical project. So it all came together. It was great.
Speaker 2: You connect Houdini's love of books to his rabbi father, who sailed his books to the United States ahead of his family, The fact that Houdini was book obsessed seems pretty Jewish.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, we've got the whole people of the book thing, right, But actually I wasn't the one to connect that. Whodini was just so you know, so I didn't just make that up wholesale. Houdini spent an awful lot of time talking about his father's love of learning and the family that he had come from in Europe. I've got a quote, we have records for five generations that my direct forefathers were students and teachers of the Bible and recognized among the leading bibliographers of their time. So he always considered that part of his family legacy. His Judaism too, Although he was not a particularly the practicing person, like faithful person. But he he just kind of considers it almost like the books became the religion at some point, or they were. They were certainly meshed together in his head with dad, with you know, with the rabbinical studies, were with his the generations that they had left behind in past in Hungary. So yeah, it does seem kind of Jewish, that kind of it is. It's fine.
Speaker 3: In his library, were there books, uh like Talmudic books and other things that would have been reminiscent of his father's legacy.
Speaker 1: Only the ones that were his father's. He actually did that. That's seen in the book where he searches for his where they his father sells the great majority of the books, and I mean, you know, no one knows how many books exactly who Diane's dad had. You know, let's say a big library for people of that time would have been fifty books. I mean, we're not talking thousands of books at that point, and but his father sold essentially almost all of them. Houdini eventually did buy back a couple of things, and now Houdini's father's bible, for lack of a better word, it's kind of it's kind it's a combination of a couple of books, but is in the library, is in his collection, so yeah, he did. He did not have like a huge religious collection. The collection was very focused in magic and witchcraft, mind reading, spiritualism. It's definitely had a focus. He wasn't just collecting books, you know, in general. He was collecting around his craft, and initially for purposes of learning it, and then he just couldn't bear to not know everything that there was to know about magic, so he just kept going.
Speaker 3: And the name Houdini came from a book he read, correct.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Gen Robert Whodin was a French magician born I want to say, like eighteen oh five, so right at the beginning of the eighteen hundreds. Super famous guy. Houdini was not the only person influenced by him. He was a clockmaker I think to begin with, and then wound up having his own magic theater and performing his act, wildly popular in his time, and wrote an autobiography about, you know, basically about how great it was to be Gen Robert Houdin the magician, right, and about some of his you know, some of his tracks and some of the people he met. And Houdini had picked up that book and was right away like, well, Eric Weiss picked up that book because it was before he was Houdini, and and was just like instantly. He speaks about being instantly captivated, like that's who I want to be when I grow up, you know, that's it. And it's kind of astonishing because that's exactly who he became, is a little bit modern, more modern version of the super famous magician known around the world. So yeah, and he thought, Houdini is, if I get the story right, Houdini. He thought it meant like he thought adding an eye to words was like the Italian version of making it like who Dan. So Whodini was supposed to be? I'm like Whodan. It turns out that that probably is not exactly grammatically correct in any language, but you certainly can't argue with the name because people still know it today.
Speaker 3: So do you know how Houdini transitioned from more standard kinds of magic tricks to the escape artist persona and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean a little bit he when he first started working with Best, he had a various standard mandic geck early on when he was a young man, you know, card tricks and coins and you know, and he always kept some of those things in many of his performances. But when he began working with Bessy, he started there is some there's there's some feeling and because there's no real proof of this that Houdini might have worked for a locksmith when he was a boy, he didn't. He quit quit. He had to leave school somewhere between second and third grade. So we're talking about someone that did not attend very much formal school at all and went to work. And one of the things that people think he might have been is been working in some way from a locksmith, because he seems super good at it, super quick and almost like unbelievably quick, so that there might have been some knowledge there to begin with. But he and Best began working right away with with handcuffs, and it just became the thing that people were the most fascinated by, you know, and it became a way, i think for him to really interact with the audience. It was like, God, you lock me up now, which is different than standing in front of somebody and just going and no, I'm going to take a coin and take this out of my ear, and now here's a rebit, you know. It was very interactive, which I think is one of the things that made Houdini so popular with his audiences. You know, it became see if you can be you know, it was there were very challenging. They were challenges. Challenges to companies, you know, make a box that Houdini can't escape from, make a cage that Hugini can't escape from. Challenges to police departments. Okay, Philadelphia, you think you can lock me up, go ahead and do it. And if you just think about that difference, that's an enormous like a leap in the in the craft, you know, to involve the audience to that degree. They really weren't used to it at that point. So it was pretty cool.
Speaker 3: And that stuff was ready made for the press as well.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I mean, he was a genius the press genius Houdini, you know not. I mean, because it's one thing to say, yeah, I'm gonna get locked up in jail, It's another thing to announce it a day ahead of time, Strip yourself naked, make sure all there, the guy's every newspaper man in the city is there, and then have the police chief not be able, you know, then get out right in front of the police chief. That is an entirely different, you know, experience, So and Whodini, I mean, Houdini at least early on didn't had did his own press. So you know, it's pretty it's pretty incredible that he would have both skills, because sometimes being an artist and having people and knowing how to promote yourself are not necessarily one and the same thing. So you definitely could do both, I think out of desperation quite frankly, certainly necessity, Yeah, necessity, well, and even desperation, I mean, is it's some hungry, rough years going. I mean, yeah, there wasn't a lot to fall back on. That's that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Another commonplace Jewish story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it kind of is, yeah, especially of those years.
Speaker 2: Yes, enjoying the show, Click like and subscribe. There's a wonderful image in the book where the crowd is waiting for Houdini to emerge from a locked container and he's relaxing backstage behind the curtains reading a book. Is that based on any account?
Speaker 1: It is? It actually is. There is a book, Houdini, The Man who Walked Through Walls. It's by William Grusham Crusham, I think, and he based it on an account that he had seen in a book called American Vaudeville, where people had said there was there was, you know, actual eyewitness accounts that Houdini would do. It would do a trick. But you can't make even if it was easy, which it wasn't always, but even when it was, you couldn't make it look that easy because then you know, where's the you know, where's the anticipation, right, So he would sit behind the stage and just read what you know, just waste some time reading whatever was the book on, you know, on tap for the day. And he did travel with a bookcase with one hundred books. Always everywhere there was this bookcase. I don't think the bookcase as from what I know, the bookcase doesn't exist anymore. A lot of people have been asking me lately, I'd love to see that bookcase, and like a lot of people are collecting Houdini memorabilia. But that bookcase that I know of hasn't turned up yet. But if anyone has it, it might be David Copperfield, but who knows.
Speaker 3: Right, But he won't let you see it. He'll do some trick and make it disappear eventually.
Speaker 1: I think it's going to have to be opened as a museum. It's just too much. But we'll see. Hopefully I'll be one of the first people online if it ever does, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: Houdini wrote some books himself, including one of my favorites, A Magician among the Spirits, in which he exposes supposed psychics and paranormal phenomena. Is it true he was a terrible speller?
Speaker 1: Well, first of all, it's true that basically anyone before the nineteen twenties was a terrible speller. It just wasn't standardized spelling the same way that we know it now, I mean at all. I mean George Washington was a terrible speller too, and he was not none, and he was he was pretty educated, and he was a bad speller. Like you know, so they're is saying, but yeah, Whudini. I mean, you know, when you leave school in second grade, there are things you don't learn to do. And what I found very admirable though, is it it just didn't occur to him that that should be something that should get in your way, you know. I mean he found people that could read his stuff and say, hey, that's you know, that's sounds spelled that way, and and had editors and had people who typed up his things, and he just kept going. I mean, his thoughts were fine, It's just his spelling was not.
Speaker 3: I will say that as someone who is dyslexic myself and really struggled to learn how to read and write when I was growing up, that part of the book was really inspiring to me to read that he had those challenges, not that he was dyslexic, but that he didn't let the you know, the impediment of this crazy language that you have to spell get in his way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think he really thought about it. I mean, I think to Whodini, books are books were home, and books are where he relaxed, and books were also his thought process, how he learned about anything. And it was just the thoughts were more important than the exact words. It's like, you know what I mean. You know, he could keep going. And again also he was by that time world famous, you know, and quite doing quite well financially, and so you know, there were there were people he had, people like people have people.
Speaker 3: A team of editors, a team of a team.
Speaker 1: Of lots of people, a team of magicians, helpers, and a team of people to help in and off the stage, and of people to pack the trunks and people. Yeah, it was good to be Houdini at some point, really good.
Speaker 2: And he's also a wonderful thinker, you know, exposing supposed psychics and paranormal phenomena, right.
Speaker 1: Right, I mean, and I think he really would have he said, I have an open mind, even at the very end. I mean, he really didn't think that any of the psychics that he had seen, you know, he pretty much proved that they were fraudulent, But it didn't mean that he said that it was impossible, you know what I mean. And I really kind of admired that too. So he wasn't Houdini was never so sure of his own opinion that he wasn't willing to consider someone else's. And I think that that's kind of the mark of a well of a really educated like the in the sense, in the real sense of the word person is like, yeah, let's talk about it. You know, I don't know, I've never been dead, have you, you know, so who knows what really happens? Right? And so he was always willing to entertain possibilities and could and therefore could like be really close friends with like Conan Doyle, who was a huge believer in spiritualism, and you know, at some point the friendship completely fell apart, but really, for a long time they were two people at opposite ends of the spectrum, and they had dinner together and talked it through and you know, spent a lot of time just discussing what they completely disagreed on, and it, to me is kind of cool. It was kind of Yeah, I think we could use more of that.
Speaker 3: Basically, a part of me thinks that that friendship was a model for Fox Mulder and Danas Scully on X Files. You have the firm believer and the doubter, you.
Speaker 1: Know, right, right right, You've got you've got a true believer and a doubter. You know, the true believer was much more of a true beleiader believer. The doubter could have gone either way. It's just that he never thought he never found him. He just knew it was magic. I mean, for the most part, what he was seeing were people who were doing his craft, which he knew an awful lot about. And so he's like, yeah, okay, well now take your hands from under the table and do that, you know, I mean, he just knew the tree. I mean, he knew what could have been done, but it is a concept speaking to people be on the dot. I mean I think he I mean, he loved his parents, his mother especially, and when she passed, I think he would have loved nothing better than to be proven wrong and to have been able to communicate with her one more time. I mean, that is just that's clear from all of his writing. It was a very emotional topic for him. So he wasn't He wasn't a doubter. He wasn't a scoffer, you know what I mean. He wasn't like someone who just went that's stupid, nobody should believe, you know what I mean. There was a real intellectual curiosity there, and like, hey, I don't think you're it, but as far as it being a possibility, it might exist. You know, I did a book about the Fox Sisters right before Houdini, and that's all spiritualism too, so I think they kind of blend in my mind a little bit.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I wonder if part of Whodini's openness was just how much spiritualism, seances all that stuff was such a big part of the culture at the time that it was very normal to believe in this stuff, and maybe he felt there might be something to it, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Well anytime that there's any kind of you know, it's like tragedy. Right. Spiritualism came about right right before the Civil War, was very popular through the Civil War, kind of died back off, very popular again during World War One, which is Houdini's time, you know what I mean. So it kind of is a waving. It's kind of back on the upswing right now, as a matter of fact, not an exact same way, but definitely you see a lot more tarot cards and reading and people doing zodiac signs and all of that is you know, it's on another wave of can we communicate? And you know, maybe you know, maybe AI has its own intelligence like all of that kind of thing, like what is AI spiritual? Can it be? You know, those those kind of questions. I mean, it's just coming up again. So I think it's interesting, you know, not necessarily. I'm pretty big skeptic myself, but I do think it's interesting.
Speaker 2: What do you help kids take away from Houdini's library?
Speaker 1: First of all, what I always do when I write a picture book like this is I'm trying really hard to just tell a story that I find fascinating in a way that a kid will find fascinating. So I really try really hard not to be preachy, like preaching to kids. To me is just not necessary and not a turn off and kind of a turn off. You know. What I hope anybody would take out of reading Houdini's story is just like, look what you can do with a book that has nothing to do as goal. Really, I mean, you know, he had to leave school, he did not have books. His family had said, these are important things. We can't afford them right now, but these are important things you might if you get any extra dime, if you get an extra dime, you might want to pick up a book. And he did, and he gave himself a career, and he made himself into the most famous and our pretty I mean on the planet. I mean, that's arguable, but I don't know besides like Jenny Lynn that I don't know who else would even come close in that day and age, you know, and certainly Jenny Lynn does not still have a dou a lipa song about him or you know, I mean, so the name and just the idea that Whodini is to, you know, escape the way Einstein is too smart. I mean, it just is, It's part of the language. So he's transitioned, just like, almost out of his personality. Re means magic, you know, you can go anywhere with it. And Houdini really knew that. I mean his favorite kind of magic was picking up something he didn't know and at the end knowing something that you know, knowing something new. I just think that that's cool, and I think he did too well.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much, Bart for joining us. Thanks and to our audience. Now back to your regularly scheduled lives.
Speaker 2: Amusing Jews is here to amuse you. If you like being amused, go ahead and click like and subscribe. Never thought