Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven to nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: You know, this sounds like a rare, unusual statistic, but I guess for a Week one in the NFL, it's probably not that rare. But there was only one team yesterday that kicked off as at least a touchdown favorite. All the other spreads were much lower as everybody's trying to figure out who's who in the NFL. But the Bengals were the only team that you know, that were favored by a touchdown and they ended up losing to a team that, I mean, a lot of people, myself included, expected to be one of the worst in the league. And that's the New England page. So Week one of the NFL season not completely in the books just yet, because we've We've got one thy football tonight with the Niners and the Jets, which should be a good game. Again. I'm hoping the Niners can cover minus three and a half as I need that last leg for my NFL parlay to hit, which you know would be good for me. I ended up finishing pretty solid on Saturday. I parlayed Nebraska, which I took them money on. I should have taken them to cover. They killed Colorado, which was great to see. And then also I ended up getting Tennessee minus eight and a half against n C State, another blowout victory. So did not do well in the NFL in the first games yesterday, the first wave of games that started at one o'clock, but I ended up putting something together that included two of the games yesterday afternoon and then of course last night. I also got in on the Lions, very very happy that they got the ball to start overtime and we're able to score a touchdown to end the game, because if it would have been just a field goal, then that would have got me. So again tonight, I need the Niners to win and cover three and a half as favorites, So let's let's hope that happens. I mean, you guys probably don't give a damn unless you bet on that too, But that's what I need and I'm hopeful that that's what that's what plays out so real quick, just considering we are coming off of the first Sunday of NFL action, I mean, I feel like the Panthers being just completely I mean that that was one of the worst opening games I think I've ever seen from an NFL team, and you know, the Saints aren't expected to be, you know, dominant, right. I will say this, I can appreciate a fan base that's really good at at laughing at themselves. And that's what Carolina. I got a buddy who who hosts radio and Charlotte and he's you know, he's a Panthers fan, and and you know, they're trying to be optimistic about the new era, year two of Bryce Young, and the first past Bryce Young through yesterday was intercepted. And I think the tweet my buddy put out there said, if you're looking for something positive, something encouraging, it took only one pass for Bryce Young to throw an interception to start the game in the second half. It was only his second pass of the half that was intercepted. So there you go. Positivity.
Speaker 3: That's like the Kenny Payne style of positivity last year.
Speaker 2: But he tried to actually, can you not till we're getting better, you're still losing and getting embarrassed, you bum the Bengals man, Like the stat about Zach Taylor is insane. He is now He's been there a long time, and I'm trying to pull up the number here because it is it's almost unbelievable. He's now two and ten I think it is in Week one and Week two games as the coach there. I mean, that's unheard of. And he's getting a lot of criticism from Bingles fans who hate that he doesn't play a lot of his guys in the preseason at all, including Joe Burrow. And you want to keep Joe Burrow healthy, right A nightmare thing would be him getting hurt in a meaningless preseason game. But he he wasn't himself yesterday. I mean a lot of the I mean, I felt like there was some criticism for Burrow yesterday, more so than you typically hear from Bingles fans because you know, he wasn't the only problem, but you know, he also just didn't play well. And I still think the Bengals have a chance to be pretty good, but a very very disappointing. I mean, in fact, just giving expectations for the Bengals, they're a team that probably isn't a realistic like Super Bowl contender to win the whole thing, but they've got a good roster Joe Burrow took him to the Super Bowl a few years ago. It's not like it's been that long, so for them to come out and lose sixteen to ten to a terrible Patriots team, at least the team that everybody expected to be terrible this year, like that's probably the biggest surprise of the NFL season thus far, although again we haven't even finished the first week. And then the Bears somehow win yesterday after leading what was it seventeen to nothing or something like that. I mean, they went twenty four to seventeen and Will Levis with one of the worst interceptions you'll ever see ever, and the Bears hold on to win despite having zero offense. I do love people sharing the old the old article from the summer. At some point when whenever Kayla Williams of course first pick overall of the Bears, he was meeting a lot of his teammates in Chicago, and there's a video of him meeting the punter and telling him, you won't have to do a whole lot of work this year when their offense didn't do anything yesterday. In fact, they punted probably more. That guy probably used his leg more yesterday than he has in a long time. And then nobody cares about my Colts. But you know, Richardson a flash a rocket launcher for an arm But that, I mean, that's all. I mean that there's a lot of guy. I mean, JaMarcus Russell. He could also throw it ten miles. Got sucked as a quarterback. And I'm not ready to say, well, actually I can say it because it's the truth. Anthony Richardson has never been successful as a quarterback in high school. His senior season, his team went too and eight at at Florida, losing record. Only one season as a starter, went six and seven, went zero to two as a starting quarterback against Vanderbilt. He's never been good as a quarterback. He just has all the measurables and he can throw it really far and really hard. And that's what we did to invest in our franchise with that. I mean, he wasn't the biggest problem yesterday. But he also threw one terrible interception. You know, he throws it one hundred and fifty miles an hour when he's throwing a ten yard pass. It's just you know, but nobody cares about the Colts. They're going to be irrelevant for a long time, because that's what happens, right. We were we were. We were not dangerous, but we were We maintained some relevance for a long stretch because one Peyton Manning was our quarterback for a really, really long time. And then we also were able to maintain relevance because Andrew Luck was really good for us right out of the gate and we were making the playoffs and you know, he was one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL whenever he was around. And then now we've gone from you know, we had a different quarterback every year as the starter, and you know, now we've got this guy that they drafted that isn't, in my opinion, going to be the guy for very long. I mean, he'll be the guy this year, but they're not going to win many games. And if they do, I'll be I'll be pleasantly surprised. I'll eat crow. I would love to be wrong about Anthony Richardson. I just can't, like, I can't ignore the facts that, like, he's literally never been good as a quarterback, even though he's got that big arm. Didn't help him in high school, didn't help him in college. I mean, you turn these guys. I mean, somebody's so raw at the quarterback position. When if you're really raw, when you're you know, seventeen eighteen or maybe you know, after a year college, you can develop. But to get to the NFL having never been successful at that position, I don't care what kind of tools you have. Like, he's also the kind of guy though, that would make total sense for you to not hand the keys over. I know, now that's the thing to do. If you draft a quarterback in the first round, you're throwing them in the fire. And some teams, you know, some of the best guys in the league didn't have to do that. Patrick Mahomes, he got to set out for a year. Lamar got thrown in late in his rookie year. And those guys were a little more polished than Anthony Richardson. Anthony Richardson has never proven to be able to win games as a quarterback at any level, and now you're throwing him out there as your starter. What you should have done. You should have kept Minshew, You should have kept Gardner Minshew, who you know is not going to be the face of your franchise. He's not gonna be a guy forever. But he was good enough last year for you in most instances. And if you still mean again, like do you want to? I mean, maybe they know that this is just a you know, we'll see what happens with this guy. We're gonna we're gonna put him out there every game all season to see what we have and if we have nothing, you know what that means, We're gonna have another really good draft pick and maybe we go get somebody else. Maybe that's their logic. And if that's the case, I'll hate it this year because they're gonna suck, but at least I'll understand it. But like again, quarterbacks who get thrown into the fire, like Kayla Williams in Chicago, Like he's proven that he's really good and got all the tools, he's won, he's delivered, he's put up big numbers. All Anthony Richardson's ever done is shown that he can throw the ball really far and really really fast.
Speaker 3: Wow, what if the Colts do have a terrible season and they draft someone like Shador Sanders that get you really hyped up, wouldn't it?
Speaker 2: Well, that'll be that would be that would be the I mean, that would be it for me like I would. You know, I've been trying to quit the Colts for a while, but I just can't do it. When they lost to Jacksonville two years ago, all I had to do was beat the Jaguars to make the playoffs. When the Jaguars weren't even trying to win and they couldn't do that, I thought that was the moment. But that's when I learned about myself as a fan. When you've been so emotionally invested, you can't just quit your team, and if you want to, like, you can't just flip the switch. I've clearly lost a little bit of my and I shouldn't say love, but like, I'm a pretty apathetic fan right now. Right, I don't see anytime soon where this team is competing for, you know, the division, even I still want him to win. Like yesterday, you know, I in my pick them league, I had the Texans to cover, and sure enough, you know I was rooting for that not to happen because my Colts were at least in a ball game. But yeah, other than that, I don't, I don't. I'm trying to think of there any other big noticeable I mean, in the Browns, I mean, it's it's I feel like this could have been said for the last year and a half, but now it's definitely being said. Deshaun Watson has the worst contract in the history of football. I mean, the amount of money he got guaranteed is something only the Browns would do and to be fair the market, you know, like the rest of the NFL. And Lamar was a great, great example of this. Lamar wanted Deshaun Watson money, more money because he knows he's better than him. He has proven that he's better than him in the NFL even and the Ravens were gonna give him that, and the NFL owners collectively, I think, you know, agreed. Just let everybody know only the dumb ass Cleveland Browns would give somebody that kind of money. We're not doing that. That's not a good investment. Don't look at what he got and think you're getting it too. We would never do that, and nobody else will other than the Browns, because you know the Browns. It is wild, though, to see the Browns have a good roster in a lot of places other than the quarterback, yet they've got so much money tied into this guy. That's fully guaranteed, whereas they ran off Baker Mayfield, who just keeps winning for the Buccaneers, just keeps winning, and the Cowboys. You know, I don't know if yesterday was more about the Cowboys of the Browns, but they did go into Cleveland in one it'll blowout and Dak got his money. And I think Dak getting getting that contract, I mean wouldn't shock me at all. If they end up having a good enough year to make the playoffs and he stinks in the playoffs, they lose again, and it's just rinse and repeat. We're doing the same thing over and over again. But if you're Dallas, you know, kind of you kind of had to give him the money. Maybe not that much, but then again, like you know, anytime there's a new quarterback getting a new contract, it's more often than not gonna be the biggest one ever because that's just you know, it keeps going up. The price tag for these quarterbacks in the NFL continues to grow in a major way. I haven't talked about it yet, not really sure what we can add other than what's out there. The Tyreek Hill situation yesterday was was something I mean imagine being somebody that's near hard Rock Stadium. And you see was it a Lamborghini or a Ferrari, one of those two? I believe that's pulled over and you got somebody laying on the ground with handcuffs on. You're like, is that Tyreek Hill? And sure enough it was. And you know, they've already got the officer that was involved in that on administrative leave while they look into it. It did seem a little excessive as far as you know, him being on the ground like that and him being in handcuffs, especially if it was a traffic situation. And of course a lot of people ended up bringing up the Scotti Scheffler situation and we'll see, is there gonna be bodycam footage of this? There was body cam, there wasn't as there wasn't as much bodycm footage as we would have liked. But we later found out that the officer involved in the Scotty Schefler situation was completely out of line and how they handled it and just you know, seemingly just abused authority, even if both were wrong, and even Scheffler, you know, I feel like was confused and you know, was somewhat apologetic. You know, that's not how the officers within it. And by the way, we never talked about it on the show. But how about one of the guys involved that did not have his body came on in the scheffer thing later getting arrested from stealing money from somebody. He like, I mean, come on, like can't get out of your own way. But anyways, with Tyreek Hill, I'm just gonna say this, he said something yesterday that I can't be the only one who thought, like, come on now, like I get it, Like maybe that was just an officer being a tyrant as they say. We'll see if body cam footage comes out, and Tyreek Hill was an a hole and he lied to us yesterday because he claims he never tried to utilize his his status and his you know, him being the star player for the Miami Dolphins like he he claims he never tried to use that to get out of a traffic ticket or something like that. He claims he was respectful. We'll see if there ends up being body cam footage and whatnot. But you know, he keeps saying, well, what if I wasn't Tyreek Hill, which is what a lot of people understandably said whenever it comes to Scotti Schefler. Right, Like Scott Scotty Scheffler was able to get out there and play golf that day, A lot of people in that position wouldn't have been able to even get get bailed out for days because of needing to see a judge, bond and all that kind of stuff. But when he says, what if I wasn't Tyreek Kill, I mean, dude, if you weren't Tyreek Kill, you might be in jail for the you know, the allegations of physically hurting your wife and you know, I don't know what happened, wasn't there, but like you apparently allegedly broke your son's arm. Like this guy is not the you know, choir boy that can can say, well if I wasn't well, I mean you've also I think it seems as if you've kind of gotten away with your fame and money, with some other things criminally that you know other people wouldn't have. It was funny to see him do the handcuffs in the back after he's quart a touchdown yesterday, and you could tell that the camera crew, whoever, if that was a CBS or a Fox game, they quit. I don't know why, but they didn't. Maybe they just were given instruction from the NFL. If he tries to do any any stunts with his celebrations, you know, we can't let that happen. Which somebody still got it, and it was it was it was clever, you know, and he's still like insanely good, real quick. Some numbers to throw out when it comes to uh, just the NFL yesterday being a very unexpectedly quiet day when it comes to passing. So you've got Week one NFL passing touchdowns last year thirty seven, the year before that fifty one, the year before that sixty one, and then today you've got thirty three. So unless there's four passing touchdowns tonight, it'll be the lowest. And it wasn't just touchdowns, by the way, it is just passing yards. I mean, if you look at yesterday's performance, I mean to a threw it all over the field three hundred and thirty eight yards, Baker two hundred and eighty nine yards, men Shoot two hundred and fifty seven, Stroud two thirty four, Josh Allen two thirty two, but Kaylen Williams ninety three yards, Levis one hundred and twenty seven yardards, Bo Nicks one hundred and thirty eight yards, Herbert one hundred and forty four yards, Kirk Cousins one hundred and fifty five yards. That's rare to see that. Yeah, yeah, the average amount of passing yards for Sunday's football games was one hundred and eighty five yards. I doubt that that number stays the same. I'm sure it'll grow because I think you've got a lot of high powered NFL offenses out there, but just a very you know, very unusual stat to throw out there. And by the way, this is also very rare, and I mean, this is just weird. There are only two quarterbacks in modern NFL history that have attempted over twenty five passes in their debut but threw for less than one hundred yards. Kayleb Williams is one who, by the way, you know, just was the number one pick in the draft. He threw two hundred through twenty five passes and did not have more than one hundred yards. The other guy's Desmond Ritter, who's now out of the league after two years I think two or three was it two or three years in the NFL? Probably three. He was with Atlanta twice and then he got traded to Arizona and they waived him before the Seaton before they finalized their roster. So all right, real quick, before we get to our first break here in the four o'clock hour, I do want to talk to you guys once again about my friends at the Jefferson Animal Hospital. Look, your pets are part of your family, you know. And I think of my family. Of course, I think of my wife and kids, but I also consider our dog. And I know that's normal for a lot of people. For me, it's it's you know, it's it's kind of new. I didn't grow up with the with the pet in the home that kind of felt like the family member. We had a dog when I was a kid. We didn't get him till I was a little bit older as a child, and you know, you know, he was a good dog. But like I just never had that connection to a pet. But I know a lot of people do, and I now understand it as an adult. And emergencies happened with pets, and you need to know what your plan is if in fact there's an amre urgency. And I can tell you what your plan should be it's to trust those at Jefferson Animal Hospital and a regional emergency center. They've been serving the Louisville community for over forty four years. Since nineteen eighty, they've been open twenty four hours a day, including all holidays. They've got a doctor on site every night, including Christmas. Yes, that's right, any day or night or shift. Jefferson Animal Hospital. They've got a dedicated team and staff that'll have you and your pets covered in case of an emergency. So you can schedule an appointment for any time, any day, or you can walk right in. They say lives every day at Jefferson Animal Hospital, open twenty four hours. They're on outer loop. You can give them a call followed to nine hundred pets or visit Jefferson Vets dot com. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. You guys have to hear the call from the Northern Illinois radio play by play guy as they pulled off the biggest upset in their program's history and probably going to be the biggest upset we see in college football this year, to be honest with you, So we'll get to that in a lot more. We'll tell you where Louisville has ended up in the playoff projections. You know, they're not there yet, but they're looking like a team that you know, if they take care of business, they could find themselves potentially taking one of those twelve spots. So we'll keep it rolling along. It's Coffee and company, feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. That's right, coffee and company rolling along here on a Monday afternoon. We are fueled by Thornton's. Appreciate you guys hanging out with us, and we appreciate our friends over at Thornton's. Make sure you sign up to become a member of the Refreshing Awards program. If you haven't already, you can download the app on your Android, your iPhone and you'll be good to go. All right, So let's go to the text line. Five O two sixty five three zero seven nineties the number if you want to text in on the L and N Federal Credit Union text line. You can also give us a call. Phone lines are open five ooh two five seven one seventy nine hundred text says Nick. Do you really think that if Cincinnati never had a coaching change, Scott Saderfield would still be our coach. I mean, it's impossible to know the answer to that question, but probably because you know last year. Yeah, I don't know last year had he been the same guy and won seven and maybe got an eighth in a bowl game, maybe lost in a bowl game, but went I don't know, seven and six overall, Like, I mean, that's not fireable, and that would have been Here's what made Saderfield weird, and it's the right move by Josh Hurt. I'll be honest with you, I think this is probably what I view from Josh Hurd and his brief time as the athletic director here on a full time basis, I view how he handled Sadderfield as the most impressive thing up to this point. I'm also super impressed with what I've seen from Pat Kelsey. And yes, that wasn't his first second, maybe not even his third choice, but still that's somebody that he had in the mix from day one. In fact, that's the first coach he talked to in the process of looking for a coach, so nobody else was out there trying to hire Pat. So if Pat works out here and it's a super successful tenure, which I believe it will be then that's a great, great thing on Josh, but that we haven't got there yet. So I'm happy with it now. But you know, we gotta we gotta get results. But he did not give Saderfield a raise when Saderfield not only wanted one the market for that job as a head coach. Nobody goes into their last year of their contract. It just does. That just doesn't happen. But Lowell wasn't gonna give him a new contract, so he was gonna have to do that. Now. What made it even more tricky is that sad did have something to bring to the table to his boss. Probably his agent did it. I don't know who did it. But you had guys on Saderfield staff that were going to leave because if their boss, Saderfield, doesn't have long term security, they want to go join a program where they feel like the coach that's there has a long time. You never know, right, because you could you could all fall apart in a year or two, right, But when it comes down to it, their coaches, I mean, and there I think you might have been the strength coach initially that was the guy who did in fact leave and it's because Sad didn't have a new deal. And you know, that's that's a good that's a good move to make when it's a game of poker. You know you didn't, you know, you called his bluff and it led to Sadderfield having his agent be able to you know, check the market. And here's what's crazy is that. Is it Bill O'Brien or was it chip Kelly? Chip Kelly? Chip Kelly wanted to get the hell out of UCLA? You remember that, right, Yes, it's how Deseean Foster ended up being there. Yeah, merge and now in that chip Kelly is the o C at Ohio State. So he just wanted out, Well, he wanted the Cincinnati job, and Cincinnati turned him away and hired Scott Sanderfield. Think about that.
Speaker 3: That's insane.
Speaker 2: And the reason I'm talking about Saderfield is because you know, he was terrible last year at Cincinnati and he lost a game where he had a twenty seven to six lead in the fourth quarter to Pittsburgh on a last second field goal. And that's how he's that's how he lost here. He no lead was ever safe under sat and also any any coaches that made adjustments he couldn't handle that. He just couldn't. So to me, he was never gonna give you a fireable season at least, I don't think he was. And to be honest, I think he know. I think he's a pretty good mind offensively, like I think he knows football. I just don't think he's he's good enough to be a head coach and make adjustments and lead a program of the power for caliber. And to be fair, you know, APP State, I know they got their brains kicked in this weekend by Clemson, But app State, you know they've had two successful coaches since he left. And that's not to say he wasn't good there. I mean he deserves credit for that. But you know, I think to answer your question, one will never know, But I think that he probably would have been good enough last year to where it would have been a really tough decision. Do you start over if you're U of L and get rid of a guy who you know didn't give you a terrible tenure and he left it in a bat I just think it would have been one of those things where it would have run its course. But then again, some would say maybe five years isn't isn't long enough. I mean, I don't know. I don't believe that. So overall, we'll never know, and I'm happy it worked out the way that it did. But I think last year, here's the scenario that I could see playing out. Last year. You had a favorable schedule, right well, you ended up in games that you still could have lost. I mean, Indiana, that's a game that was right there till the very end. Georgia Tech. There's no way a Scott's satisfood coach team comes from behind like they did against Georgia Tech because he was terrible at that. N C State a game on the road that you know, ugly game, but you found a way to kind of grind it out and hold in Virginia was weird. I don't know if I feel like I can say you should have lost that game, but it was close until you really kind of pulled away, created some real separation towards the end. So if you end up not winning those games and you have a terrible record, then at that point it's done. You know you're moving on. But again, we'll never know. And look, he wasn't a terrible guy. He just to me and I've tried to. I understood why at the time, I felt it was made clear to me that like the you know, sat in his group, his staff and whatnot, they didn't think a whole lot of me. And you know, I had him on the show before i'd met him. He was really kind, but I was very critical of Sadderfield whenever he didn't whenever he cried at midfield after Kentucky beat their brains in, and he cried about elsdown like I was very very outspoken about that. I guess. I know others agreed with me, but you know, I'm the one who went on the air right after the game ended and talked about it, and I was very critical and I still stand by everything that I had said, so that to me, it wasn't like I felt like, well the hell with this guy, he doesn't like me, because again, like he wasn't like he was losing sleep over anything I said. It was just I think he was mad. He was made aware of some things that I'd said and he didn't like it. And that's fine because if I was in his situation, I probably feel the same way. In fact, I probably would be petty because that's just me. If I'm being honest with you. But that right there kind of just made me feel like this guy doesn't have it to lead this program because Louisville football has succeeded and it's you know, in a variety of different eras with different coaches, and I feel like every one of them had a chip on the shoulder. We're going to shock some people. We're ready to, you know, like we know we're not necessarily getting the same love that other schools are getting, but like we're we got a chip on our shoulder. And he didn't have that. He would go six and six and in a very weird way, act as if fans shouldn't be upset, Like he would try to tell us that a six and six or seven and five seasons should be celebrated around here, and like that just ain't us. Man, Like you don't fit, And I always felt like it's not the right fit. I always felt like the fit was was nonsense because like Chris Mack, the only people saying Chris Mack didn't fit here. Chris Mack was a rock star here until he started not winning as much and then oh it's not a good fit. So I've always felt like fit was and Honestly, if Satterfield won, we love that he threw parties in the locker room after beating FCS teams by a touchdown because he won. It's what it really comes down to. He didn't win enough. He didn't win games that mattered, and he also didn't carry like he didn't have that chip on the shoulder, and that, to me does check out to where you can say, yeah, that's just not a fit. Louisvill football has not succeeded with somebody like that. Louis football has their most success whenever you know, the fan base is energized by a guy who wants to go show people, hey, Louisville football can do something special. And Sadderfield would say, well, we did something special. We went We went seven and five and the only games we lost to were to SEC teams and you know Clemson, Like, I mean, and that's just lame. So and then again like he's now four and fourteen. I'm sorry, he's coached in fourteen games, so we can't be four and fourteen. He's now four and ten at Cincinnati's head coach. He's never beat Cincinnati fans have never had a home win against an FBS team under Scott Cliderfield. He beat EKU last year in their opener. He beat Towson last week in their opener in a game where they gave up four hundred yards of offense to Towson. And then last year, outside of that, ek you win, he lost every home game in the Big Twelve, and he lost the teams he did beat. He beat Pittsburgh on the road, and then he beat Houston on the road. And again he's losing games in a way that he lost games here. I will say Saturday, for them to be up twenty seven to six in the fourth quarter and lose, that's the first time I saw Cincinnati fans melting down about him, but also bringing up Louisville and saying, Louisville, you were right, Louisville. Everything you said was true. I can't believe we did it. And here's the thing, they knew it when they did it. They just didn't want to accept it. They knew they hired a guy that nobody else wanted and they took a guy off our hands, because that's what it was. So one more thing I want to say about sat. He talked a lot about culture and having you know, because he did inherit a really bad culture and he gave us the old loving them up and they didn't need that. And it did work. In year one, they were they exceeded expectations. In year one, they weren't special. But you know, he did take some Bobby Petrino guys to too, hat Well being one of them, JB and Hawkins being another. Like they had some success in year one and I was energized by it. But you know, like he talked a lot about culture and instead of winning when it mattered, he would talk about loving them up. And you know, and again he's a I think he's a good man from what I know, but like he's weak as a competitor. The L's down thing, I mean maybe, I mean that was many years ago, but like that was telling for him to do that midfield after the rival, just beat your brains in and you're crying about them taunting and celebrating. They should be celebrating. They just beat the brains off their rival. He didn't get that. You know, he never really embraced doing something special. He wanted to be able to say seven and six Manmber winning some ball games, We're we're good team. He never really he never really wanted to step up and compete. He didn't want to, like he got outfited by Mark Stoops. I mean, think about the difference in intensity and philosophy between Brahm and Sadderfield. But something this weekend. It's not something he did, but it speaks to this culture. And it's not a culture of guys, you know, being bad kids and having bad attitudes and just off the field stuff. But it's a culture that is not to me really embrace winning at a high level and actually a pomplishing something special. Because after they lost, I don't know I everybody saw this or not. There is a writer by the name of Chris Carpenter who, let's see here, he covers Pittsburgh. He covers pitt for well, he's got a podcast covering Pittsburgh Athletics, and he was at the game in the press box at Cincinnati and he showed a video of this right after the game ended. Pittsburgh, of course, they won on the last second field goal, and they've got a safety by the name of Javon McIntyre who had the ball after the final turnover because it was a turnover the end of the game, and you know, he kept the ball and the Pitt players were waving goodbye to the student section, who you know, I have no fault with the students of Cincinnati being you know, students and yelling things. But apparently they kept yelling eat it, pit, but not saying it right, eat the s H word Pit, which again, that's hard. You know that maybe vulgar if you've got kids there, but like, I got no problem with that. But anyways, after they did that, they're walking off the field, the players are, and the equipment managers for Sadderfield staff run over and try to keep this player from Pitt from leaving the field with the ball. Quite literally, No, that's our ball.
Speaker 1: We lost, but we want our ball.
Speaker 2: Back, bunch of losers. Man, Like, is that not the lame Again, that's not Saderfield, but that's his culture. We got embarrassed, we blew a twenty seven to six lead in the fourth quarter, and I'll be we want our ball back. We're going home, Like you can't make this stuff up, Like that's why he was never good enough to be our coach. He did get hired and you know, left it better than when he got it. But other than that, man, the guy I mean like he just he didn't have didn't have it. And there's a few things I can think of, but I'm not gonna say him. And when I say it, I'm just using it as the filler word that's more appropriate for radio. He doesn't have a sack, John, he doesn't have a sack. Quick break, We'll come back on the other side. Wrap it up. We got sacks here, folks, speaking of losers Kentucky. Yet on Saturday, they got demolished by South Carolina, who even they know is not good. But in the past two weeks, we now have numbers that are still a little I mean it's early, right, and some of the data that you have in just two games is misleading because it's a lot of teams playing at least one, sometimes two awful opponents like Louisville did. But right now, the worst power for offense in college football as far as yards per game is Kentucky. Now they only played what three and a half quarters against Southern Miss, but still like their offense was embarrassing against South Carolina. And you know who has the second offense and power for a football johnt is it Notre Dame. It's South Carolina Because they didn't even have to do anything special to beat Kentucky as bad as they did. I mean, they just they ran the ball pretty effectively. They took advantage of every mistake Kentucky made, and you know, they were just a lot more clean. And then you know Stoops going forward on fourth down midfield. That was pretty telling when he did that in the first half, because that was an active desperation that I think, honestly, South Carolina they only scored three points off that they didn't end up because they took over with great field position and they only scored three at that point. But still, I think they were able to feed off. I mean, even if you don't score, there's still a huge momentum shift if you have the nads to go forward and don't get it right because you feel like you're cocky, you're doing it because you feel like we're not worried about it, especially doing it when they when they went for it on their side of the field. I mean, that's rare for Stoops to do that, and I guess it was pretty telling. But yeah, the other terrible offenses after two weeks, Michigan's number three, which they got embarrassed against Texas. I mean they were they didn't look like they were in the same league, and I know they're not technically, but you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: I mean it's a Michigan I mean they're still the national champions. Yeah, I mean people still expected them to be up there at Ohio State in Oregon and maybe even USC now depending on how good USC ends up being. But I don't think Michigan is going to be that. I mean, they'll be fine, but for the Michigan standard, I don't think they're going to live up to it this year.
Speaker 2: And then, you know, they've played two SCCS two I'm sorry, two ACC teams, meaning the you know, the Florida State's played Boston College and George Tech loss to both. But against those two teams, Florida State is still in the bottom five. They're they're number five, they have the fifth worst offense in college football after two games. Florida State does a preseason top ten team, and then Cal is at number six. And that's wild because they just pulled off an upset against Auburn, which, by the way, I want to get to that a little bit later on. I'm not going to try to make the claim that the SEC is overrated per se. And I'm not going to try to make the claim that it's not the best league at the top, because I think right now you got Georgia, Texas, heck maybe maybe Ole Miss or three of the best teams and it's not close because you know the Big ten with Michigan, they got embarrassed Oregon. Oregon should could arguably be oh and two right now, Like they nearly lost to what Idaho State or so I.
Speaker 3: Know in week one, and then they had trouble with Yeersey State this past week.
Speaker 2: So you know, there's some underperforming teams early on, and it is early maybe you know they figure it out and those close wins don't look that bad down the line. But there has been some surprises. But when it comes to the SEC, I mean, who's who do you feel like is great outside of Georgia, Texas, Ole Miss, and I guess we can throw in Bama, but let's not forget the fact that they were in a close game until the fourth quarter when they finally pulled away. So anyways, there's a lot more I want to get to in the five o'clock hour when it comes to just some takeaways and just some early observations including the the Notre Dame upset, the call from the Northern Illinois radio guy. I've been mentioning that I've yet to play it for you guys, got to hear it, and something else we haven't really gotten into, but luckily we got another hour to do. So. Is Colorado getting embarrassed by Nebraska? And look, it's quite clear what Dion Sanders is doing at Colorado, what his motivation is, what you know, like it's becoming more and more evident the more they hit adversity and you kind of see how how people act, and I love it. I mean, I don't know how d I mean, I don't think Dion knows how to be humble. I mean, he'll if he walks away or finds an exit strategy after this year, he'll never claim that it was because he wasn't a good coach. I mean, that just won't. That's not possible for him to do. But it's I think it's going to end in hilarious fashion. I really do. And I think the signs of that have been right in front of everybody. But you know, many people for reasons I don't really understand, just refuse to acknowledge that, and then back to the NFL we will go. Because Tom Brady's debut as a broadcaster. I'm sure he'll get more and more comfortable, but kind of nice to see him suck at something because that guy's good at everything, right, He's handsome. He could have left the booth yesterday and went down there and been ten times better than that bum that the Browns roll out there at quarterback. But as as an analyst, at least right now, we can say that he sucks. And look, I suck at a lot of things. We all probably suck at a lot of things. I'm not sure Brady has ever shown as something that he's terrible at until yesterday. And again I'm not even being a hater, like wouldn't be a shock er if he gets more comfortable, But I will say this, there's a part of me that kind of wants him to tap out, have a ceiling in the broadcasting game, as like being mid at best, because for my own insecurities, you can't just talk and be great at something, right, Like, there's something that goes into broadcasting that you know is more than just using the English language. You have to have a cadence. You have to not just say something, you have to say it with them, you know, you have to emphasize certain things and be, you know, ready to jump in whenever your partner gets done talking. And like again, he'll get used to it. He's never done it before. But like again, it's my own insecurity. I people just think anybody can do this, and I guess technically you probably can, but like you know, doing it, well, yeah, let me live in my own world where I feel like I've actually got to announce of talent. Can we please five o'clock hours next right here on Sports Talk seven ninety