Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Backflips and Nerds, the Baseball Podcast with a British twist. I am Darius Austin and we are delighted today to be bringing you the great Britain World Baseball Classic Preview, the podcast you've all been waiting for. The tournament starts extremely soon and we didn't want to let that go away without the opportunity to preview the full GB roster in detail. Joining me to do so the excellently named Rob jazz Nevera as he's put on his little caption here, Rob, how are you doing jazzed today?
Speaker 2: I'm loving it. It's great. I'm all about it.
Speaker 1: We are recording as the Brewers are about to play the GB team right now, and also joining me is going to be our man on the ground for the next couple of weeks. It is, of course Russell. Lisam Russell. How's it going?
Speaker 3: Yeah, doing good, doing good.
Speaker 4: Just pretty much finished packing most of my stuff, will record this, then pack the laptop and we'll head down to Heathrow at six o'clock in the morning to get my flight out to Houston. It's going to be fun a couple of weeks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, remember a couple of times ago you flew out that way and you triggered a global pandemic. So if you could lay off that this time, that would be really appreciated.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we haven't quite had the months of warning that we had the last time around that something is.
Speaker 3: Spreading around the world. Pandemic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, still a pandemic or something else. Maybe that's happened in the last few weeks.
Speaker 1: Topical on that cheery World War three inducing note, Let's let's talk about some baseball. I suppose before we talk about what you're going to do, Russell. I think we should because we'll obviously have a lot more coverage around that, and we'll be able to the listeners know a bit about where you'll be and what you'll be able to do. But I think we should talk about the team, and maybe we should talk about what seemed to be some potential late changes first. So I think a lot of the listeners will probably have seen the originally announced roster. But does it are there rumblings that we might have to make a couple of probably not surprising me so, but a couple of late changes to the roster.
Speaker 4: Yeah, according this has been confirmed by our sources within team. Team GB as well, but on the WBC roster, a couple of pitchers have been scratched and one replacement has been confirmed, with a second one being TBD. But Antonio Knowles and Michael Peterson, which is a shame for myself. British Gast himself will no longer be competing for Team GB, and Dylan Cubby has been added into the roster as of right now. Both all of the teams have like an extended pitching pool which they basically I think give five to ten players which they were basically allowed to kind of poll players from during this kind of as the tournament goes on, or even a pre tournament right now. So that's what's happened. We don't know the exact reasons why yet. It's pure speculation, but both of them are fringe roster players, especially for Peterson with the Marlins, not certain if Noles would be directly making the Dodgers roster at the start of the season, but both of them could be probably potentially prioritizing getting roster spots, which in most regards you don't blame them because there's a seven hundred thousand dollars difference between being a driple a player and being an MLP player.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a difficult time of the season for those players who are trying really hard to win that job, isn't it. I think, you know, these couple of weeks are probably the most crucial couple of weeks for spring training. If you're that player who's not necessarily going to make the team to make your case, this is crunch times. So as much as it would be great to see those guys on the roster, I understand why they're they're not making it over.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but obviously with with Covey as a replacement, it is a player with with major league experience, so that's great as someone who's competed in International Baseball with Team GUS Team US previously in a Premier twelve, so video have experience and a good like head just to bring in as well, I think what will help with this squad.
Speaker 3: But like, yeah, it's.
Speaker 4: It does kind of put Team GB in a position of maybe having not a full plethora of lefties from the pen, But we'll have to see how that goes as the tournament progresses.
Speaker 1: We certainly will. I will say we are recording right now as GB are about to play the Brewers. I think we've just started the game. I think ny and just led off for GB, so we've got an actual lineup, and I guess i'll ask both of you, is this are these are names you're expected to see? Rob, you've got some familiarity with the GB team from the past. Do you know these guys? You heard of them?
Speaker 2: I know some of these guys. Yeah, of course there's some.
Speaker 5: There's some names in here that the you've you've you remember from days of and I don't follow the team nearly as much as as probably I should.
Speaker 2: However, of course I know some of these names. I cannot now find it, which is really frustrating because I can read out them. I'm vamping. It's fine, I'll get there. I'll get there.
Speaker 5: No, Look, there are guys on this team we do know, Like I've called myself Rob Jazz on the on the thing.
Speaker 2: That's the big name.
Speaker 5: Obviously, but he's not one of the heroes from last time who pushed over that Columbia team. So yeah, there's there's names here, and yeah, the pitching perhaps is a little lighter than we expected, and maybe we're missing some of the star names that we thought we we might get there was some you know, some Chapman's and some you know, some of the little bits around the edges. But you know, we've got the Harry Force, We've got a Tasman right there, and we're not going to win this thing by being the most talented you know baseball team. There's sort of a gritty element here, which is, you know, we're going there to win a game and and and.
Speaker 2: Yeah we got we've got a decent chance, you know. So yeah, mum, how with it?
Speaker 5: I know some of these guys ask me three four years ago, probably not, you know. So it's building, it's getting bigger, it's getting better. So yeah, I do know some of these guys, not as much as you guys, but you know, I would put myself in.
Speaker 2: Probably the more even normal.
Speaker 5: Baseball public here in the profile is raising and that's what we need, is what we want so long way to continue.
Speaker 1: And Russia made some lineup predictions a little while back. How does this match up with what you were expecting from this roster? Do you think this is what they're going to use going into the first game of the tournament itself?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it'll be interesting.
Speaker 4: Last time around the lineup when they faced the Brewers the first time around, had seven out of the nine players who ended up starting game one. So it is Dbon under a new helm ship with the brad Mars Leno and does sort of Spencer. But I imagine they're working from a similar playbook as before, So this, I imagine is gonna be pretty close. Some positions maybe different, some defensive alignments might change, and the order might change. But yeah, we'll kind of see how that works out. But yeah, the lineup we've got Eaton chism Ford, Murray Robinson, Johnson, Trace Thompson, Fox, and Lewis Junior basically in that order from the prospective lineup that I had that I put out a couple of weeks ago. The kind of the main difference is with Luke kind of like with Lucia's Fox, and with h Lewis Junior in for Macaperniac, who I had in and I also had an Aquard in. That stuff really comes down to who's going to play shortstop for fteen GB. Really, Fox is the only one that's played at the highest level and they're still currently playing in that position. We know Jazz has history in that position, but we don't know he's currently playing second base in this game for TMGB, and we don't quite exactly know what strings have been attached to kind of some of these players players joining. So tgb's general approach has been put the best nine hitters in a lineup and the defense will sort itself out. To Gav's heart rate, my the last tournament might have suggested that sorting it out is a an over positive. There were definitely a few crows to first base when the point award was there as a as a as a shorter fellow basically trying to trying to deal with that, didn't get the best of throws, and there was a few errors in that in field. But we'll see kind of how that progresses through this this this this tournament. But no, it's it's a lineup. It's a lineup that has more players in affiliated baseball than they did last time around. And as Rob said, that's because we're basically seeing this team be bigger profile and as I talk right now, they've just scored their first run against the Brewers, So yeah that Mazerowski, Yeah again, Jacob Mizarowski, So already going better than maybe some of their preseason games last time around. So yeah, to be one of the things that's highly amused me. There was BJ Murray singling to a guild bad who was somebody who was rumored as having gathered to be the team to play for Team GB. So maybe there are these some discussions going on in between with a few of those guys. We'll get to the names of the second but I think as Rob kind of went through, there was a lot of maybe this person can play a lot, especially with players with Caribbean heritage. The WBC rules effectively as like do you have the chance to get a passport? Which is a kind of effectively with the way passporting works with the Commonwealth countries, which is effectively as like most of them is like could your grandparent get a British passport? Which means that your parent could get one and then means that you could get one. Yeah, I think some of those rules have been tightened just around now because we have the Olympics coming up and those things get a little bit more stringent and are more round of like getting closer to the point of just adding you having to need to have the passport. But yeah, this is a this is a strong line up, and yes it's the best team that GB's ever put out there, and I think hopefully that'll just continue over the next few years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's definitely a lineup full of names that you you may well have heard of. I think there's quite a lot of representation, either guys who've played in the majors or guys that you know, we think may well play in the majors at some point in the relatively near future. That's exciting. I don't know if there's anyone rob You can say Jazz if you want to, But is there somebody in this lineup that you're particularly looking forward to seeing play for GB?
Speaker 6: Is it?
Speaker 1: Is it the obvious names or is there somebody that you know, maybe you've seen glimpses off here and there, the Nate Eaton's of the world that you might have a little exposure to, but you think might be a bit of a spark plug for the team.
Speaker 2: Actually, it's Trace Thompson for me, that he's got.
Speaker 5: A bit of a his his career is on a bit of a tea to there, you know, and any he has something to show off, and you know, he had a couple of moments looking maybe a little bit grumpy playing for GB last time around, Like he smiled in his picture for in his uniform this year, which was which was a nice improvement on what we had last time. So you know what, he's taken a second bite of the jerry and he's got something to prove. And I reckon this time, maybe he's actually gonna think this, this actually means something, because this is this is a real big chance for me to actually put myself out there and be seen a little bit. You know, if he can be the Harry Ford, you know, if he can be the big moment man, then you know, maybe this does something for his career, which you know it's not at the best point right now. So yeah, Trace Thompson is what I'd like to look out for.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think Trace was a key player in the last time around, Like his home run against the US had mean Gabb jumping for joy in the alternate press box looking a little bit daft wearing our hearts on our sleeves there. But I think Rob is right that, like it will be really interesting seeing how he progresses, Like he is not potentially like the standout player in that squad as he was kind of like last time around. The thing that I noticed most from being like on the ground at these games and watching these guys play BP, is like, how well like they actually like hit BP, Like the difference between the independent guys, the guys in the miners, the guys with like major league experience, and then going watching Team USA hit bbcause that was the first game last time around, and watching the quality of BP is just higher, like more balls are going in over the fence or getting close to the fence just on every single swing. And then take it to the extreme, watching Showyotani hit BP in Miami.
Speaker 3: Was just ridiculous.
Speaker 4: He was basically putting on the second deck and putting them into the scoreboard like every single swing. So you're like, it's it's a really simplistic guide, but like you could clearly see that Trace Thompson was a level above quite a lot of people around it last time around. This time, I think he might have more broader support. So for me, obviously, seeing Jazz back is amazing. It's been effectively ten years since he wore that jersey in a qualifier that was in late twenty sixteen, so that's kind of like amazing to come back around again. Otherwise you just got like people that Aya was lucky enough to talk with in person kind of last time around, which would be just great to kind of like meet up again and just kind of see these guys like Tyler Bizza was a really kind of like interesting person to speak with and Vance Warley life last time around. Those were guys are just great baseball experience and honestly just interesting people to have conversations with baseball around. So getting a chance to see those guys again, I would have said Michael Peterson if he'd been in the squad, just because he's someone that I've met on multiple occasions, as he was one of the few players I met in the forlorn attempt for the twenty two twenty twenty tournaments before everything was ruined.
Speaker 1: You, Yeah, I think everybody. Before I forget, before Gaff tells me off, everybody should definitely go to the website. Gav's got some great content on there, including a player by player profile, so if you want he detail on.
Speaker 3: Any of you guys, he bled.
Speaker 1: Gav has done incredible work and profile of each member of this roster, So if you want to get any more details, he's got it all. He's got videos in there, he's got little fun facts, it's the works. He's done a lot of work on it, so definitely goes to the website check it out. We'll obviously I have lots more coming over the next few weeks as well on the WBC. Gav Gave really loves this stuff and we already appreciate his work, So do go and check it all out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's genuinely, genuinely the best place you can find, like the best summary of the team. You won't find it anywhere else on the internet like that. It's yes, I'm a homer for for the website, but you cannot find writing about GB baseball like what Gav has done there that it is top notch.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was half expecting when Rob was going to talk about the different players that like, here's a couple of raised prospects in there, and I thought he would gone especially with the name Gary gil Hill.
Speaker 1: I thought that I was going to go straight to Rob with that. Yeah, that's the one. And what is your familiarity with Gary gil Hill?
Speaker 2: Gil for gil Hill? No, I have not seen gil Hill play.
Speaker 5: I don't think he was a spring training invite last year, and if he was, I missed him wearing a number eighty six on his back or something.
Speaker 2: So no, I've not seen him at all, but it is good to have the prospects in there. Yeah, it's good for them. It's good for them.
Speaker 5: Like this is people might actually watch some of this, whereas you know, the eighth inning of a spring training game against the White Sox ain't gonna happen. Not that they would be playing the White Sox of course, because it's a different league, but that's neither hi nor the Yeah.
Speaker 1: I will say that at BP we have gil Hill eighteenth in the race system, which doesn't sound very high, but as you'll know, the Race have a lot of prospects. They usually have a pretty deep system. This year is no exception. So we see like a you know, potential fourth startup, maybe mid rotation guy if he hits his upside. So there's a chance we could be looking back in a few years and saying, hey, he was the best picture on this ther BC team. I think that's that's within the realm of possibility. I mean, you know, we may well see him in a you know, two three years time actually making up a significant role on a major league mount So I'm excited to see him because I also have not seen him play, but it will be good to see Russ. You've already sort of touched on a bit of the pitching, but how do you see this playing out over the course of the tournament? Who are we going to go to in the rotation and do you have an idea of how that's going to map out across the group game to that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's an interesting one basically to be like, who are actually going to be like the guys that are the starters, Like there isn't a massively like standout like these is what you're going to expect. I think like Jack Settings is probably going to do reasonable amount. I think that Tyler Vizard, Vance Walley will do that as well. But I think what you'll see from Team GB, maybe a bit more than some of the other teams, is an approach where it's basically every inning matches the most because they're effectively going to they're going to win as many games as possible. But with basically International Baseball, you kind of lose a game and it really scuffers you, like no matter what it is. So they will be waking to utilize their best players as and when they can, like as much as possible, so you'll probably just see two or three innings of anybody max before kind of getting over to the next guy. A few of the other teams with their top pitchers, there are limitations in the WBC in the first few rounds of like sixty five pitches as the maximum, and then it's like eighty pitchers in the knockout rounds and like ninety pitches in the final to just because we are in spring training, we don't want teams don't want their players going out and throwing and forty pitches in it in a shutout because the manager of Team GB or Netherlands or Nick or Agua wants to win this game more than like deal with what's going to happen in the major leagues next season. So in some regards, it doesn't matter that you don't have the top arms because they can't be used too much. But I think we'll definitely see like a high Ton over with Team GB, being like, let's just matched to the situation that we're in. Like, if we think we've got our best guy up there right now, cool, he'll continue for another inning. If we think we've got a better option for this inning full of three players that we're going to face, let's go to that basically kind of pull that through. And so when you have the variety that they do with having like the Beg Brothers, with having Jack Anderson and a few of the others were like we've already mentioned Gary Gailhill, like we still have Donovan Benoir and have as Fernandez who took part in like the previous tournament. So I do think that you have, like there are names there aren't like there aren't the rumored ones that we're talking about maybe in the past, like Tristan McKenzie and a few others that were potentially kind of MLB like quality starters, But they'll do a good enough job and they'll basically put themselves in a position to be competitive in most of those games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we saw last time that that you know, we had some experience with these types of tournaments, and there was some set very sensible management of those games gave us not only that win, but a very very close game as well. We could easily have won a second in that tournament. So be very interesting to see how that plays out this time. I suppose we should actually talk about what you're going to be doing with us, and also what the schedule looks like for GB. So I assume you will be making it to all these games? Can you can you take us through what you've got planned? And most importantly, you've already crossed the show Hay off the list. Who's hand are you're going to be trying to shake this time?
Speaker 3: Yeah? That's yeah, that's the interesting one.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I fly out tomorrow morning.
Speaker 4: As we're recording this, probably all the time by anybody's actually listening to this, I will already be on a plane out to Houston and therefore all of the group games, so luckily enough to have the press coverage for all of the games. So I will basically be sat in Daikon Stadium or Minute Made Park, whatever you want to call it, for about ten hours each day watching two games of baseball and all of the jazz that goes on before and after games. If it's anything like it was that Arizona in Arizona last year, it'll be there will be some highly amusing moments because the teams have to basically wait for all the other people to get out of the changing rooms before they can then go into the changing rooms for their next game. So last year, I was down waiting to go into the press room to hear some of them, the manager speak and just in the corridor chatting like they were mates, because they obviously were, with the likes of like Mike Trout and Rookie Betts, just having just like conversations. And you're just like, like, it's probably wrong to me to get down on my knees and be like.
Speaker 3: We're not worthy, We're not worthy.
Speaker 4: But there are moments in my head where are doing that, But yeah, yeah, we're We're lucky enough to coverage for this, So I will be out there, will basically be speaking, hopefully getting some time with some of the TEAMGB on the March fifth to kind of give us a little bit of a preview before the tournament actually gets underway, and then we'll be providing effectively hopefully pregame and postgame coverage from the players, the coaches, and anything that happens.
Speaker 3: Here for that whole entire journey.
Speaker 4: And then once we've gone through the group stages and the quarter finals that are in Houston, off to Miami for another few days to watch the two the semi finals and final in Miami, and if those are anything like the one that I saw in Miami last year, I probably watched two or three of the best spawning events I've ever seen live. The USA Venezuela game was frankly ridiculous, and that the ending moment of the last WBC, which was scripted to high end, which I think the only way it can switch around this time is if you have Cherio Tani hitting something off like Paul Skians. I think that's the only way that you can probably match that end moment. But yeah, it's going to be an amazing two or three two and a half weeks to effectively just watching baseball.
Speaker 5: So have you set yourself any goals for any special handshakes this time? I've got some suggestions, some targets for you.
Speaker 3: We've got the targets, then that's something we can work through.
Speaker 2: Okay, I've got three targets for three games.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'll talk you through some of the interesting people that I met last time around. Like obviously Adam Jones was a good one that I met and had a really nice chat with with last time around. Amusingly, I had a five minute conversation with Tony Clark last time around. But maybe that, oh, we won't get a chance to reprieve that one. Are you saying you have an inappropriate relationship with Tony Clark? Law, Well, i'll tell you all boys, Tony Clark makes me feel small.
Speaker 2: So that's what she said.
Speaker 1: Well, we've got the explicit tag on this one now.
Speaker 4: No, I think the last time I was a little bit. I was definitely almost a star struck with the press as I was with the meeting, like John Morose and Ken Rosenthal and Jeff Passon. Was a bit like these are like these are summer bar but like superstars.
Speaker 3: But on the player's side, I think.
Speaker 4: If we're going for the big, the big ones, we've got to be like it's gonna be out. We've got either girl like Aaron Judge or I maybe somebody like Fernando Tatis or or a Kunya if they make it to those semi finals where I can actually, uh, you.
Speaker 5: Can even bigger man, yeah, like the biggest man, like you thought the guy was big last year, like this year the biggest man you can find.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's got to do that.
Speaker 4: I've got to like feel small in the conversations and see if I can work my way through. Last time, yeah, the handshake with Otani was one of the funniest things with the last time around, just in a huddled mass of all of the press watching him take like his VP and everybody just being in awe. And then these two or three people standing beside me, like obviously know him, call him across, and he starts starts shaking hands with people and just continues to kind of like offer his hand to me because I'm stood next to these people, and I'm like, oh, yes, next year.
Speaker 2: Yes, I also I am a Japanese reporter.
Speaker 5: Hello, yes, so yeah, I think time this time, I think we need to say some target.
Speaker 2: I don't know who who we should get from Brazil because.
Speaker 5: They haven't got the like Yang Gomes does he still play there, Like that's the most famous Brazilian player I know.
Speaker 2: But I think let's go for Randy.
Speaker 5: You gotta get a picture of Randy, surely a picture, even if even if it's just a close background picture.
Speaker 2: You gotta get some Randy action. Again, I'll maybe rephrase that, so Randy, Randy.
Speaker 5: Gotta get on the pass watch, gotta get on the pass watch with Italy, gotta get something out of there. You've got, You've got to go with with some passquatch and then for for for the USA, which will be the hardest one. Just you've got to shake any cy young hand, any hand, there's one of so young.
Speaker 2: Just got to touch that hand. You gotta get a sy young hand in there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, pictures will be a bit more difficult because they do not hang around the bullpen area.
Speaker 1: Kursher is notoriously bothered when you when you interrupt his free game preparations.
Speaker 5: Let's get published by Kershew. That would be That would be amazing, that would be the pinnacle.
Speaker 1: It would be I'd love to say, Actually, I'm I'm really interested to know if he's still just as serious even though he's basically retired, if he still like approaches it exactly the same way. It's like, don't talk to me, I'm getting ready.
Speaker 6: For the game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it will be highly amusing to see if any of those guys will will offer sel off themselves.
Speaker 1: Out mostly they were. Surely you can get Vinie on the on the pod. He seems like a personal chat. I reckon, we can get him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 4: Like the it was I think the most thing I've had most remarkable in the tournament last time around was just like the different numbers of press for like the different games we had. We're in USA's poop last time around, so like anytime the USA were playing, the main press spots was almost full, but like there was a little bit of spots that I like I could sit in when basically Team USA wasn't playing, Like you could go sit wherever I want in the press box and kind of effectively just find a front row seat and kind of just just enjoy what was going on because it wasn't allocated seeding, but also down on the field like pre game it was like you had like a quarter of the people there when it wasn't a USA game. And then the madness of the number of Japanese like reporters once were watching the japan games in Miami, it was I there was so many people there. It's just unbelievable for kind of just to see those huddles and to see the conversations. But yeah, I will, I'll do my best to work with to work with that, I think if we can. I'm trying to work on my head being like, so, are there any Cleveland players that I could mentally like be like, you know, they actually support you? Dated, but then the one that I would want to meet Jasi Ramiro even playing for the Dominican because he feels that he's been slighted and was told that my name and charade would played the base ahead of him.
Speaker 3: So that feels a bit rough. Is that true?
Speaker 2: I mean, it's all alleged at this point, I'm sure, but yes, I've not heard.
Speaker 4: That some cryptic messages that have been put out there on Instagram by Jose effectively claiming that he's been slated. I didn't say exactly why, but reading between the line, moved.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I'll run through the actual schedule for the group. If you're interested, you want to know when gb are playing. They will be playing on March sixth at six pm. That is the Mexico game. They are playing the USA and TERRK scuball of course at one am on March the eighth, that's technically March the seventh in the US, but obviously you know it's quite late. Then they're coming straight back later that day in the UK and playing Italy at six o'clock, and then the next day they've got Brazil, also at six pm. I will also add that there are a number of watch parties around the UK, so a lot of the GB baseball clubs are getting involved in this. They're putting things on So Manchester, Bristol, Exeter, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Cardiff, Newcastle, Guildford West Midlands Baseball League, which you know is in Dundee, Brackenhill, Preston and of course London. There are watch parties at all of these locations. So there's more information on the British Baseball website that Christnal Blocks put out there for the specific venues for that. But there will be lots of GB Baseball clubs hosting those parties. So if you would like to go and watch with some fellow GB baseball fans and you're near any of those locations, then then do pop along. I'm sure it would be a great time.
Speaker 5: A million points to anyone who does Bracknell and Dundee in the same day, like during the.
Speaker 6: Do B game.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, like Phil Collins during Live Aid, like you start start at the beginning of one and then you get there for the end of the second one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, would you reckon?
Speaker 6: I'm go look up Bracknell to Dundee. Now I have anything that would take that'll be.
Speaker 2: The wrong kind of leaves on the track.
Speaker 1: So don't you.
Speaker 4: Even if you can have your own personal helicopter like flying you from one venue to the other. I'm not certain you could do it in the time of one baseball name.
Speaker 6: No, I don't think so.
Speaker 4: Depend it's telling me six hours to do you have extra Dundee there are extras yep, I'm seeing the twenty one inning thriller against Brazil.
Speaker 1: That's that's when to try it. I think it's going to be a challenge.
Speaker 7: Rob.
Speaker 1: It says eight hours to drive up there, and the London Dundee helicopters being advertised as an hour and fifty minutes, it still seems a bit slow.
Speaker 2: You win a hat, I don't know. Have we got a hat we can give someone?
Speaker 1: I think we probably have a hat.
Speaker 2: I think that.
Speaker 5: I think you're someone in Bracknell and Dundee, same game. We will send them a hat, any hat. BRO will buy you any hat of your chores.
Speaker 3: Probably just a flat cap.
Speaker 6: If you can.
Speaker 1: Somehow make this eight hour car journey in the space of three hours, we will definitely send you a hat. It okay, Well, I think we've we've covered off the The GB preview Russ. Was there anything else you wanted to add about your schedule or or the team in general. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think it's just like it's one of these ones where it's like they're I think what we're.
Speaker 4: Seeing your hill of all the time people talk about like TMGB about this, like it's not like, oh, these aren't British players, These aren't.
Speaker 3: People who are like born and raised in the UK.
Speaker 4: And I just think that, like it's it's always important to say that like this is this is what makes Britain Britain. I think this is what makes people. We're constantly like redefining what it means to be to be British. There are people who have reasons to be connected with this country. And every time that these GB teams have been pulled together in the last like five to ten years, like the coaches, the whole system is they make sure that everybody talks about the reason why they want aware like that Jersey and why they want to kind of like represent Great Britain from hearing it last time around, talking to people like Anthony Seymour and talking to kind of James Young from their Bahamian backgrounds kind of like really understanding why they want to kind of like to do.
Speaker 3: That is it's a great.
Speaker 4: Part of kind of like one actually this tournament and this team gets to get to represent because we know right now that we wouldn't have, like we don't have a professional league in this country. This is something that wouldn't be possible without the vagaries of the historical British Empire. But it's it is great to basically see that there are all these people that are wanting and willing to kind of like represent Great Britain and kind of be British.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very cool to say all these these people coming together, often from very diverse back, very different experiences getting into baseball as well, I think myriad paths. I think Gav covers us off quite well in his pretty on the site about you know the different experiences some of these guys have had getting in from you know, being the highly touted draftd or international signing to the guy who's had to toil in the miners or not even the miners in the inn these for years and years until being you know, finally picked up on a sort of a you know, a very low low cost deal from you know, the brewers or something to stick in their minor league system. You know, it's a real range of roots into baseball and it's it's really fun to see all these players come together from a range of countries and backgrounds. And yeah, I'm really excited. I think it's going to be a great tournament. I think the hype after last time has definitely got up, and I'm excited not just CGB, but some of these other really high class rosters that we talked about last time coming together, and I think it's going to be a real good fight at the top as well to see who comes out as champion this time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I think although like we'll be potentially like realistic with like where we anticipate GB to finish in this tournament, Like we do think that they are better than the Brazilian team, and they'll have a tough match against Italy, but that's kind of like that the other the other two games are very difficult, and like if they were to get something out of them, it would be phenomenal and would drive like a massive growth like in this sport, like anything that basically, if GB beats the USA in a in a baseball game, that makes like BBC sport like front page sort of stuff like it is enough to basically be like the kind of like the what's the Remember the Norwegian football commentator.
Speaker 3: And he was just like Margaret Thatcher Winston, your boys took one hell o the beating.
Speaker 4: That's like if I when I write that up, that is exactly what like the first the first paragraph of that, it's gonna be gonna be Ronald Reagan, George Washington, Donald Trump, your boys took one hell of a beat.
Speaker 1: Avery's notoriously overright by Brace, as we've often said on this podcast.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but the team, the team is going out there to compete and to win all of their games. They're not going out there to be like we just want to win one game and make sure we're qualified. Like that qualification is now the minimum expectation right to be set in this position where they can work the way they have in the last two to three years to be in a good position to actually kind of be prepared for the next tournament. In a lot of reasons you'll see with the chat with Gary that will put on the end of this is that there's still the potential of a qualification for Olympic Games and funding around that out there, because in twenty twenty eight there will be baseball in the Olympics and there's only six teams in that tournament, and one of them will be a European team. So qualification and how that goes makes a massive difference. And in this country getting money into a sport, if it's an Olympic sport, it's a lot easier to get money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely a lot, a lot more riding on this than just how we do in the tournament. So I think it's going to be really every time we see the profile go up, don't we. I think so some of these these other eyes against some of these really high profile teams playing the USA is a great opportunity, I think. And yes, Derek Scruble is quite good, but it's probably going to throw like forty pictures, right, So it's fine.
Speaker 3: Oh, maximum, we can throw it sixty five.
Speaker 4: So get up there and start fouling them off, boys and ross.
Speaker 2: This is the answer upside down lineups.
Speaker 4: Like it's generally like, it's not like it's not that much of an unknown thing in international baseball role there have been definitely times when people have like messed with messed with lineups to basically try and work counts.
Speaker 2: And there's not fully stupid, then no, it's not he talking that one of us a win.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so when are you getting on the plane to join russ as the GB's official tactician. Is that that happening now?
Speaker 3: And the resume ever to Gary if you want.
Speaker 1: Send them all the research you did on roy Utah and you're really impressed with Yeah, you'll see that.
Speaker 2: I've got the pictures of uniforms and everything.
Speaker 3: That's one thing we haven't discussed.
Speaker 4: Have you. Have we seen the new fresh teas that they're they are that are wearing this year that hopefully the tea will stay on the shirt.
Speaker 3: I have seen them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've I've been looking at I've been looking at GB Baseball's twitter feed. There's quite a lot of of shots of all the guys wearing the uniforms. Actually, I think we can.
Speaker 5: Line all the letters up better than the Red Sox did on a very similar uniform.
Speaker 2: So that's, you know, one better than them.
Speaker 1: These are these are Nike rather than fanatics, aren't they?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 3: The Red Sox admitted that they were the ones that were responsible for the what they told phonetics to do, which are then just like, wait, so you told them to make it like just poor quality. There's so much are gonna be said about like these fanatics jerseys and what we've got compared to what we used to get with Majestic. It's just it is just a shame that like this is this is the quality that we have now compared to like what used to exist before.
Speaker 1: Yes, well we are optimistic that no letters fall off the GB uniforms. Yeah, if you are watching the video version, you can now see Rob holding up a picture of on his iPad.
Speaker 2: I'm going to win the base bar.
Speaker 4: And hopefully this time around they'll actually be GB much in the in the in the MLB store, in the store inside the Houston Stadium. Last time there wasn't because everything was had to be so quickly rushed because they were a qualifier and basically didn't get the chance to use some of the logos that they wanted because they didn't have the right copyright rules.
Speaker 5: To was clearly ironing on his own words. So you know, this time things crossed. So anyone who wants st a thing, yeah, orders him with Russell Now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well yeah, I'm taking a suitcase that we'll have definitely have some space in it. Don't know how much I'm we'll we'll fill it with things along the way, but some baseball gear being brought back.
Speaker 3: I will say.
Speaker 1: The good news is that GB are currently no hitting the Brewers. The bad news is that Brewers pitcher Dl Hall is currently pitching for US, will not will not be on our roster. The quirks of these exhibition games so regressively, deal former former top prospect Deal Hall, is not going to be joining us for the actual tournament. But it's going well. It's a good sign. We've scored a run.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was watching it through and it's one of those weird things where you're just like, so Harry Ford came out and then he pinched it for him.
Speaker 3: Back forward for himself.
Speaker 4: So what you can do is in the spring training or not even spring training.
Speaker 1: Will send some raal suggestions to to Manfred just to do this and there regular season.
Speaker 6: I will love that.
Speaker 4: I just sometimes love the names that are in baseball where you're just like Jesus made lines out to Jazz Chisholm Jr.
Speaker 3: It's just like you just get quite compute what's being said here.
Speaker 1: You don't get this any other sport. Okay, well, I think I'm gonna I'm gonna wrap us up there, because this podcast is not done. Russ. You have spoken to Gary Anderson, haven't you. And you've got a separate chat for us which you conducted a little while ago, so we will tag that onto the end of this podcast. But can you give us a quick quick preview of what you talked to Gary about to what the appetite?
Speaker 4: Yeah, a bit about Gary's background and why him is like the performance director Britty has kind of like helped GB move to backs next level. He's worked with like in the FA and like Team Bob's and Team GB bob sleds like in the past to kind of like to pull that through a bit of how this season this time around has been different, what approaches they've kind of set up and what kind of what is their aim?
Speaker 3: How do we get an Olympic medal in baseball?
Speaker 1: All very promising stuff. I look forward to hearing it along with the rest of you. Thank you both for joining us. I'm sure we will be back soon with more WBC content as well as an idea rob that you put out I think about three months ago, now that we still haven't done what we keep saying we're going to do, which is to recap the off season in the order of the most boring moves. So yeah, hopefully we'll get to that soon, along with what I expect to be a preview of Team GB's triumphant WBC run. So that's all to come all to look forward to. Thank you for joining us, and over to Russell's Into You with Gary Anderson.
Speaker 4: You don't do links often, however, and welcome to Bablpton Nerds, the Baseball podcast with the British Twist. I am your host today, Russell Lisam. I'm not joined by any of my other crew, but that's because I have the amazing opportunity to interview someone who has a lot to do with the British national team. I'm delighted to be with Gary Anderson today. He is the Director of Performance or Head of Performance, I can never remember which one it actually is for Baseball soft for the UK and the BBF. A native of what for a longtime supporter of What what FC, he's been had the reputation for transforming i would say underdog profrograms into world class organizations. What he did with the British Popsley team getting a retrospective bronze medal back in twenty fourteen. We'll probably talk about that and some of his greater work with the FA as well since joining baseball in twenty twenty two, and this has been the focus behind a great Britain's historic ascent into the world rankings.
Speaker 3: Gary, thank you for joining us today. How are we doing?
Speaker 6: I'm doing okay. Thanks for Russel and what an introduction.
Speaker 7: I think it's I've been parachute into places because there's been problems and I've been asked to sort them out. But certainly with baseball, I've fallen in love with it. And normally, once I've got things going well, I usually move on to the next project, but it seems that I'm stuck with this one and it's fantastic.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I'm in reviewing kind of what you've done in the past and seeing somehow people have talked about you and you've been on with the podcast with some of the other guys before in the past, because I see you as like this performance architect, but it's kind of like you've never like stock to just want sports. You've won a FIFA fair Player award, I said, the bronze medal with the bobsley team, Like, what's kind of like the universal truths of high performance? That will kind of like you brought into like this GP role. That's kind of like the Gary Anderson view on kind of like high performance.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I have a philosophy on performance is that whatever sport you go into, it's at the top level, it's not about teaching people the technical basics of that sport. It's about putting together a team around a team that can support that performance process. And my philosophy has always been is that, you know, the it's not my job to teach someone to hit a ball or to pitch a ball. It's to make sure that they turn up on time, that all the coaches have everything they need in order to execute that performance.
Speaker 6: And you know, it's it's almost like I guess.
Speaker 7: Conducting an orchestra, you know, with having all those instruments, having all those talented musicians, but ensuring that they know when to play their instrument and what beat. And that's what I enjoy doing. It's certainly I've carved a career out of it, and you know, it's something that I'm passionate about You know, I'm passionate about my performance sport and I love when it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel it very interesting. Like looking through your career, you talked about the fact that, like you've tried and failed to retire, Yes, especially before taking this role. I guess the question is what was the specifics of like the Great British Baseball puzzle that drew you back in from you from from that sweet retired life.
Speaker 7: I'm looking forward to that day that I do retire, but it's it's looking like it's going to be way beyond their lay now.
Speaker 6: It's I I had.
Speaker 7: Retired up until this job came up and I was working. I haven't retired. I don't think I'll ever retire. I think that I'll always do some sort of work. I can't ever see myself sitting at home watching homes under the hammer and enjoying my life in a company arm chair.
Speaker 6: That's not me.
Speaker 7: I would always be involved in sport in some way, and as I'm getting older that is more and more the administrative side of things, and I had retired from. I've been working through the COVID period, working in professional rugby and professional football and helping you know, very successful teams navigate that very difficult time and then return to play.
Speaker 6: And I always described it.
Speaker 7: I never experienced COVID like everybody else did because I went to work every single day, you know, because your elite sport continued, albeit in a very strange way. But I still got in my car and drove to work every day because it was my job to make sure that all these regulations were visire to and that you know, elite athletes had the opportunity to train. So I was working through that, and trust me, Russell, at the end of that, I was ready to retire because it was nobody knew how to do it. We didn't know what we were doing, whether we were doing it right or wrong. But it was a hard time. And at the end of that, I thought, you know what, that's it.
Speaker 6: You know that, you know.
Speaker 7: And then the Tokyo Olympics got moved by a year and I started doing some work for karate, for the international karate scene and making sure that, you know, the high performance system within karate was fit for taking place in Tokyo post COVID, And this job came up with Baseball Softball UK and I saw it and I thought nothing of it. I thought, that's you know, that's the last thing I want to be doing now, is I want to be maybe doing a consultancy job somewhere rather than going back to be a performance director. I done that for so many years I didn't fancy doing it again. But then a very good friend of mine, who at the time was the head at the British Olympic Association, Mike Haye, pointed out to me that this job was going and he said, it's right up your street. He said that two sports, baseball and softball, both are sort of underperforming and with huge potential all and with the Los Angeles gains on the horizon, he said it it just fits you to go in there and put an Olympic system in place. And when I looked at it, Russell, it was uncanny. The situation was very very similar to when I moved into bob slid. Very similar, same characters, same issues, two sports that weren't really talking to each other but had very similar needs. In bob sleay it was bobsley and skeleton, you know, to what are now very successful sports as we are seeing in the land Cortina at the moment that didn't talk to each other. But had the same need, need the same resource. And it was good work in that area putting those two sports together. And I saw the same with baseball and stockball, and I thought, do you know what I will?
Speaker 6: You know, have a look at this. It was a funny story.
Speaker 7: I was interviewed for the role six times. Official interviews I went through and I couldn't believe it the amount of times I had to be interviewed for a role which I didn't particularly want at the time anyway, But I went through it and more and more.
Speaker 6: I was learning about it the more and more that I wanted it.
Speaker 7: And it was when I met with Drew Spencer that finally convinced me that, you know what, this is what I want to be involved in.
Speaker 6: And yeah, after.
Speaker 7: The interviews, I spent some time with Drew before I decided to take the role, and it was Drew that convinced me that this was me.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's amazing to hear.
Speaker 4: In your book The Winner's Mindset, you talk about like performance planning when you first arrived with this role. When you took it, was that the first like cultural pillar that you felt need to be installed before like results could follow.
Speaker 3: Ors. There's something else that you decided this is what I need to do. First, I think it.
Speaker 7: Was getting people to understand what could be achieved, what the potention of was. I'm not sure many people in baseball knew about the Olympic Games, and not necessarily the inmp Games, but the process of qualing fire Olympic Games and running a program and receiving funding to run a program, you know, rather than begborrow stealing money from everywhere to ensure that a national team could go somewhere and players put in hands in pockets and you know, but don't get me wrong, ru We're a long way from being able to fund everything that we are a lot closer to what I recognized as a full time professional program. And it was put in that in place of people understanding what could be achieved and then identifying a appropriate performance pathway, highlighting competitions that we believed we could win, and then putting together a plan for that. And when Drew was imposed, that was easy because Drew got it. Drew knew exactly what he wanted and working alongside him with the age group teams were very good coaches and Jonathan Craman, who's gone on now to work in professional baseball and guide the under twenty threes to a gold medal. Having people like that in the program, it was quite easy to sell the performance concept of which is my philosophy and what I hope is when I leave baseball and softball, which I will do one day, it's the legacy I want to leave is an understanding of you know, what people can achieve if they really really wanted to, what they can achieve. And I think that was the first pillar that had to go in place, is that you know what, this can be us? And we are as saying if not us, if not us, why you know, why not GB? You know why can't it be GB doing this?
Speaker 4: Yeah, speaking to Drew and Lillam and Jonathan all the time, the phrase they always say is that you can get there from here. I think is the is a big attitude that they have shown that to to some people within the playing world, within in this country. They didn't think it was even like a possibility, and so that's like a great thing. So let's get them done more into the kind of like the GB. It may be too much to say, but Garrey, you're part of the people who have put like the great in Great Britain, and when it comes to baseball, like recently we've had a pretty large momentum shift.
Speaker 3: From being a maybe team, a nearly team.
Speaker 4: On the international scene to now being a top twenty ranked program. We have talented players playing at the major league level. Like, has there been a system that you've introduced or was already kind of there that helped us kind of constantly punch a little bit above what would be traditionally regarded as like the powerhouses of baseball.
Speaker 7: I think it's and thank you for saying that, And yeah, I am a small cog in a very big machine that does this, and I'm hoping that I I, yeah, I contribute a little bit to that. I think it's in suring that the head coach has what they need to do the job, you know, and then supporting that head coach and making those decisions because as you know, it's the head coach.
Speaker 6: You know, in most people eyes is never right.
Speaker 7: You know, there's always you know, you own in the pub and you can pick a much better team than anybody.
Speaker 6: We all do it.
Speaker 7: I do it with with my biloved Watford. You know, I can pick the best Watford team ever, you know, but do you know what, I'm never going to be wrong with that because my team is never going to be tested, all right, So I can pick that team and it's never gonna be tested. When our head coach Brad Marcelina picks a team at the moment, he's going to be tested every single time that's that scene takes the field.
Speaker 6: So I think what I would like to think that.
Speaker 7: I do is put that you know, the arms around but fingers out philosophy with him. That I put my arms around and support him with his selection decisions and what he wants to do, but I keep my fingers well out of the technical and tactical decisions.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we we kind of were now in a position where GB is I think players are maybe coming to you guys instead of like having to like go find players. It feels like it's now in a much kind of like healthier position to finding that sort of talent.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we're much more visible, the program is much more visible on the world stage. For this World Baseball Classic. We didn't have to go knocking on players' doors this time round. Okay, they were ringing al bell whereas I remember for the qualifier in Reagensburg with Drew. We were ringing people up asking you know, is it true that you know you're ellergible to represent Great Britain.
Speaker 6: This time round we didn't have to do that.
Speaker 7: People know about Great Britain now and they were coming to us to say that they have a British passport or or they are entitled to a British passport. So it was very very different this time round. So I think it's attractive to play for Great Britain now, you know. You know, we we were pre qualified for the World Baseball Classic. People knew three years out we were going to be in this edition of the World Baseball Classic, so players had had enough time to work out that they wanted to be in this event and contact us. So selections this time round was very very different.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I say I had to learn a different set of skills around kind of actually determining people's eligibility compared to how it was before.
Speaker 7: Yeah, this time round it's been tightened up as well. The I think that that's to do with the Olympics. You know, the Olympic qualification points up for grabs, and so you know, it's I think it's a lot tighter now that you know, for now there has to be a route for eligibility through the parental route. You know you can no longer go back beyond that. So you know, to play for Great Britain now you have to have eligibility by parents to be a UK citizen or be applied for a UK passport. The only difference is in the Olympic Games you have to physically hold that passport. In the World Baseball Classic, you have to be eligible to hold that passport, and you know that you don't have.
Speaker 6: To go through the physical process in obtaining one. Yeah.
Speaker 7: But yeah, in terms of our debt a chart and the players that were on that, it was you know, we didn't have to go ringing around and knocking on their door and saying, you know, do you want to play for Great Britain.
Speaker 6: You know that didn't happen this time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And so as you said that you were qualified for this twenty twenty sixth tournament, not having to search for players the same way, it was probably one of the elements. But how much difference has there been in this basically build up to this tournament because you've known for three years that you are going to participate in this tournament and not have to win a qualifier six months beforehand and then put all of your efforts through that and then have to put all of your efforts in the next six months to what you're actually going to do in the tournament.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it was almost too long. I think it's there's not many sports that you know three years out that you're qualified for. You know, in other sports there's usually a qualification event for everybody, or you know, if you're the holder, you might get automatic entry.
Speaker 6: But you know, you look at the FIFA Worlds up in football.
Speaker 7: You know, you only know a year out that you're definitely going. We knew three years out, and that was a lot of time to think about it. Okay, we didn't know where we were going, but we were you we were going somewhere, and it was.
Speaker 6: It was a luxury.
Speaker 7: But we also had to make sure that we still had that urgency.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 7: We didn't sit back and say, oh, we've got three years for that. You know, there was always going to be the urgency, but we did. We created our own urgency by Drew Beying so successful and going and decided to work full time for the New York yank does, so we created our own urgency there by then having to recruit in Brad Marcelino, who only had a year to prepare, So we created our own urgency there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But obviously in between we've had the European Championships that have come up, all the times we've had the under twenty threes to go through that system as well.
Speaker 6: Did you have any kind.
Speaker 4: Of clear steps along the way from the performance in those tournaments that were leading towards kind of like how you wanted to perform like in the WBC.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we knew that there were going to be investment triggers and we had to highlight certain competitions to UK sport that we had to perform at in order to receive the amount of investment that we now do. And we targeted those events and they were the Under twenty three Europeans, the Under three World Cup qualification, and the Senior Europeans and up until the last Senior Europeans, which were a little bit of an anomaly because we're we had target the world but it wasn't a nominated competition for us. The World Baseball Classic was our nominated competition that's coming up, But we the ones Europeans where we meddled at it were the Europeans we chose as our target events, our milestone events. You know, we would we went to win the last Europeans. Don't get me wrong, We didn't think it didn't matter. We went to win, but we always had one eye on the Premier twelve and the World Baseball Classic. We knew fairly fairly certain that we were going to be in the qualifier from the Premier tworld. We knew that because we knew it was going to sixteen teams and we knew that it was quite lightly we would be in that playoff bracket, you know, to qualify for the Premier twelve. So we said, right, the target is going to be the World Baseball Classic, and that's what we said, that would be our milestone had event. Yeah, no one's saying that we're going to go to the World Baseball Classic and win it. I am a bit of a realist and know that that's you know, highly unlikely. But what we can do is go there and try and go one better than last time. So at each stage of the process there Russell, we've had a targeted event, a milestone event where we tested everything that we know that we've learned so far on this trajectory, and yeah, we're going to we're going to put all of that into play at the World Baseball Classic. No, that's really interesting to hear. Yeah, would if it makes sense. If it makes sense, I think it does.
Speaker 4: In part I would I would be interested to know if the European Championship just gone. It was a very youthful team that took part, given the fact that it maybe it wasn't one of your targeted events, which were I think you, if I'm right, would say actually directly linked like funding. Were you using that event more as a preparing people for future events than necessarily kind of going out with the explicit aim of like putting like our best players on the field.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we we fielded a strong team, though, Yeah, we we did underperform. We put we should have done better than what we did. And everybody knows that we had a lot of things that were knew at that event.
Speaker 6: It was Brad's first competition in.
Speaker 7: Charge, and there we tried a few new things out and there were players that weren't available to us for whatever reason. But you're right with that. We know that we you know, that's never an excuse not to win something. And we went to the Europeans thinking that we were good enough still to be in the medal zone. And when I say medal zone, that's being the last four. You know, once you get to the semi finals of any competition, anything can happen. So you know, Icler call it medal zone and that's the last four of a competition. We didn't do that. One result could have changed that, but and we didn't do it. But you know, we learned a hell of a lot from that adition. We learned a hell of a lot, and I think for Brad, but Brad, it was a great learning process.
Speaker 4: No, yeah, that's interesting, see because obviously that you guys are now learning through the tournament, Brad's gott to learn through how to kind of like seer the ship as well. Do you feel that other nations in the tournament will treat you guys differently now that you're not necessarily like the happy, go lucky minnow that's kind of made their way into the into the tournament.
Speaker 6: Oh absolutely.
Speaker 7: I was provely to attend the MLB Winter meetings with bradsher and we met the other nations that were competing. We met the head coaches, the performance director of the sporting directors of the other nations, and the reception we got was very different to the reception that we got previously. I think people now know that with the roster that great Britain offendord that you know, we're going to be a.
Speaker 6: Match for people.
Speaker 7: You know, it's they're going to have to watch us and scout us like we are scouting everybody else.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 7: It's I think there are still some guides I think where it's a gibbon when we play them.
Speaker 6: I think that that's natural.
Speaker 7: But I you know, there are teams within our group that I think that we can be and I think that there are others that we could shock, and that's what we intend to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I still remember Trace Thompson's home run at the start of the game against the USA, which kind of quieted that stadium a little bit, as I don't think many of them were quite prepared for gb to even stand a chance in that game.
Speaker 3: So yeah, let's go a little bit more into the twenty twenty sixteen.
Speaker 4: Obviously, like the rosters have been announced, it is a fairly complex process which has most of it has to be kept.
Speaker 3: Under lock and key. Is a bit of that.
Speaker 4: Directed from like the tournament or is more of that Actually, you kind of don't want to know what your opposition know what you're roster is because then they have more time to prepare.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and now it's all announced and everybody can see people's pen pictures and their names and all their stats, and you know your sport and I call it your sport with a baseball sport, I'm fascinated by the data that that's the sport generates, you know, it's it's driven by numbers, and it's fantastic.
Speaker 6: I love reading it. I love learning.
Speaker 7: About it, you know. And the scouting process is something that fascinates me. You know.
Speaker 6: Even at European Championship level, we scout.
Speaker 7: Our scouting network is tremendous, you know, and I can sit for hours in those meetings and listen to what those scouts are saying, and when the game starts, I remember what they said. I'm looking for it to see if it's going to happen. But I think that the rosters are out there now, everybody can see who's picked. Two there's still one or two things that are still to be finalized with one or two players. So I think it's going to be some players in some nations will drop out and there's some others come in.
Speaker 6: But people would see.
Speaker 7: Who's on show now, and I think that.
Speaker 6: That gets everybody excited.
Speaker 7: But it's one off games, and scouting in for a season, a league season is very very different and scouting for knockout International Baseball. Yeah yeah, because you've it's one off games and that you might only face that team once and you might only face one, two, three pitchers.
Speaker 6: You know, it's.
Speaker 7: Very difficult for anybody to scout anybody that accurately.
Speaker 4: No, that's interesting to see. Obviously, the GV team are playing in Houston. Playing in the US, I think it's fair to say that that it allows you to have a stronger team than if you would potentially be playing Japan. I think the MLB teams are more willing to kind of let their players during spring training come and perform there than going out in Japan. Is that a correct assumption?
Speaker 6: I think so.
Speaker 7: Yeah, We've only ever played in the US, so we can only go on what we experience. I was at the WBSC Congress last week and I was speaking to the chech guys there, and whilst they don't have many big leaguers playing for them, you know, traveling to Tokyo to Japan is you know, it's not as simple as some might think. You know, they have restrictions on them as well, and I think that it does have benefits being in the US. Certainly teams would be more Certainly if I was an owner of a Major League team, I'd be more inclined to let a player go and play up the road rather than halfway around the world. Yeah, because you know, at least you've gon keep track of them and you know where they are. Anything goes wrong, they're straight back to their own their home team. One thing I have noticed this time around as well is the confidence major league organizations have with Great Britain. Yeah, we have a very strong medical team that we draw from. You know, we draw medical staff from major league teams. And I think when you asked about the minnows being class and minnows before, I think the organizations that release players to play in the World Baseball Classic view US differently now as well. They know that we're going to look after their players when they come to US, and I think that gives them reassurance as well.
Speaker 6: We're no longer that unknown. You know, we've done it.
Speaker 7: We've shown that we can compete with the best our staff, you know, the majority work in Major League, so that there's an air of confidence around releasing players to Great Britain. Certainly, that's the information I get given. Anyway, I've met a lot of owners now, I've met a lot of head coaches and managers, and you know, they've all formed that relationship with me where they want to learn about what I've done.
Speaker 6: In sport, and I want to learn what they do in baseball.
Speaker 7: You know, they know I know very long about baseball, but they they want to ask me about the other sports I've worked in. So I'm guess they're you know, they're trying to get as much out of me as I'm trying to learn from them, because I'm like a sponge when it comes to baseball.
Speaker 6: I just want to learn everything.
Speaker 7: And if I get an opportunity to sit down with a manager and a head coach or an owner, you know, they can't get rid of me because I'm asking all these questions and I'm noticing it all down on my iPad about what they do because you know, trust me, if their ideas are good at work, I'm going to steal them.
Speaker 3: Now one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: I think any any person would be would love to have that opportunity. So I think the obviously the WC are coming right now, but the big point in the future is is LA twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 3: It's I think you said right at the start.
Speaker 4: It was actually part of like the what was thrown at you with this baseball opportunity is the fact that like there is this potentially eight year plan to get into an Olympic cycle.
Speaker 3: Can you just talk through how.
Speaker 4: Like sports and funding in the UK, it's almost like so can be at the level dependent on it, like sport being in like an Olympic sport compared to being like an Olympic sport.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: One thing I will add, Russell is they didn't tell me there was only going to be six teams at the Olympic Games. I took this job because you know, actually getting through to the Games is going to be a medal for a lot of teams.
Speaker 6: And when you get there, fifty percent of those teams are going to win a medal.
Speaker 7: You know what other sport have you got those odds, you know, you know, once you get there, anything can have and so I think anybody that gets to the Olympic Games as a chance of a medal. In order to receive investment from UK Sport, the government agency that fund sports in our country, you have to be an Olympic sport. There aren't many sports that receive any form of investment to the level that Olympic sports do. So the status of being an Olympic sport opens up so many investment opportunities from the UK sports for the sports are Olympic sports. The issue that baseball has and software has is that we are not one of the core sports for the Olympic Games.
Speaker 6: You know, we can come and go.
Speaker 7: We are fingers crossed for Brisbane in twenty thirty two and the you know last week at the Congress, the noises were positive that for inclusion in twenty thirty two. But until that is agreed and it's in writing and the local organizing committee in Brisbane have said it, then no one's going to invest in us. But for us to receive the investment I think the sport deserves, it has to be an Olympic sport. It concerns me that we are not a core sport. I believe it should be. I think that there's a there's a space for a sport like baseball in the Olympic Games, and you know for but I you know, who knows what the local organizing committee in Australia wants, you know, it's and then they have the maneuver that juggern or of Major League Baseball to agree to allow the best players to play in it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I think you spoke about it at the start, and I think it's a good place to kind of like end our conversation on is the kind of like what is like the legacy like and the future of this as a player here in the UK, like the we have kind of like we have a setup, we have some wonderful teams and wonderful places around here, but it is a very kind of low level sport like in the United Kingdom. But we do have all the opportunity to amazing players thanks to some of the heritage tools.
Speaker 3: Soho the national team can compete at higher level.
Speaker 4: How do we use this to build that legacy kind of like at like the local grassroots level.
Speaker 7: I would like to see there be visibility of the sport at the highest level. Yeah, there's no point us playing at the World Baseball Classic if there is no cascade of that down to.
Speaker 6: Grassrooms, there's no point whatsoever.
Speaker 7: It's great that we're there, and it's great that we're competing with the top teams, but we need to make sure that people see that.
Speaker 6: And so it's the visibility of that.
Speaker 7: And you know, we've already started to see it with the Emerging Players program that bs UK and the BBF are put together. When I came in, there was an academy structure, but yeah, I didn't like the word academy had all sorts of connotations of football academies, and you know that was hijacked by various places that run academies, and you know everybody calls their program an academy, and it lost its meaning for me. So I would love the World Baseball Classic and a legacy of that to be to fund an emerging player's pathway, so that anybody that picks up about or a ball in Great Britain can see a pathway through to the national team. We all know that if a player is good enough to do that, the likelihood is they're going to have to go and play abroad because that's where the professional leagues are. Because if we're going to be a competitive sy with medals at European Championships, we're going to be up against professional players and our players have got to be playing professionally.
Speaker 6: We've got to be playing day in, day out.
Speaker 7: And you know, whilst there's no professional leagues in the UK, which I think is another huge opportunity, why can't there be a professional league in the UK. You know, why can't we attract talent from other countries to play in a professional league in the UK. All it needs is some really good entrepreneurial brains to put that together, because I think that there would be interested in that. But I would love there to be a legacy of a pathway that a young player could carve himself out a career in professional baseball coming from one of these fields we've got dotted around our country.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's amazing to see, and we've had already had the.
Speaker 4: First few sessions of those this year with that emerging program, seeing if you're down in Greenwich and across the country, So amazing to see how those continue.
Speaker 6: On.
Speaker 4: My final question for you, Gary is kind of like the final pitch. We are sitting here in twenty thirty. What does success look like? Is it a medal at the Olympics or is it more a change in how the British public pacity use baseball or why not both?
Speaker 7: I was going to say, that's an easy answer, because I just say to you, both of those are So that'd be brilliant if we could do that. I think that let's be brutally honest here. Yeah, the journey we've been on, the trajectory we've had over the last four years is fantastic, you know, from what we've achieved. We are ahead of the plan that I laid out. You know, I have a blueprint on my office wall, and we are ahead of the S curve. You know. We I didn't think we would be where we are, you know. And I never go on world rankings because the WBSC world ranking methodology is so convoluted and so confusing, right, it's untrue. Yeah, and we are we will be gauzed on one off tournaments because you look at that world ranking and we don't host events start in this country, so therefore we're penalized straight away because we have to qualify for everything, you know, other countries host events and they don't qualify because they're the host nations, so they automatically get big points. We don't, so that I disregard the methodology for that ranking straight away, so I don't think it's right.
Speaker 6: So I would like to.
Speaker 7: See that one our world, you know, standing in major competitions, is that we're regularly medal zone. In European Championships, we are regular medal zone and we qualify it for the bigger platforms. That's what I would like to see happen. In addition to that, I would like to see more opportunities for people to play baseball in the country and for people to be able to pick up or they don't pick up newspapers these days, and they go online these days and read about their national teams and also read about their local teams. You know, I used to live in Hemml Hampstead and I used to see this baseball round and Grove Hill when I was walking my dogs, and I didn't know who played there or anything. Now I follow their results, and I'd like everybody in the general public to know that they have a local ballpark, they have a local team, and maybe the visibility. Yeah, we were joking last week saying that you know you watched Breakfast TV at the moment and you see the red List from Milan Cortina coming on there talking about sports that are much smaller than baseball. Okay, and everybody wants to be now the next skeleton rider or the next acrobat skia or the big hill or whatever they want to be. I would love to be on Breakfast TV talking about Great Britain beat in USA. Wouldn't that be a fantastic story, right? You know?
Speaker 6: It would be an upset amongst all upsets. And as I said, I'm a realist, but wouldn't it be good.
Speaker 7: If we could suddenly see the visibility of Great Britain baseball on a Breakfast TV or on Radio five Live Thrivetime. But because we've achieved so good results well Baseball Classic, and there's no reason we can't.
Speaker 6: There is no reason we can't.
Speaker 7: And I would hope if in twenty thirty, when I probably have retired by then, Russell, we're talking now and you invite me back on as a guest and whatever sport I'm working with them, lets me come and talk to you and you tell me, isn't it great? That we've got this professional league and we've got all of these young players coming through and four or five British born players are making their debut in the Major League this year. That would be fantastic.
Speaker 4: Now, that is a dream and a place I thing we all want to get to within the British world, those of us who play on this side of loaders who just enjoy watching baseball as a whole.
Speaker 3: Gary, thank you so much for your time. It's always a pleasure.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Your insights are always very interesting to have, so thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Thank you all for listening.
Speaker 4: You can find us at Batfleots, Underscore Nerds on Twitter and batflets and nerds on other social devices and batflops and nerds dot com. We'll have another episode devoted to actually going through the roster of the GB team soon, but until then, thank you and we'll hope you listen soon.