Speaker 1: The right quick.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Playoff Baseball is back, and with it an annual postseason tradition.
Speaker 1: Scam is back. Baby.
Speaker 2: This is Saxon Cakes in the a app BA Go with Proway. Dodger legend Steve Sacks is joined by your favorite Dodger pregame host, Tim Kates. If you want to talk Dodgers, get in on the show on eighty six six nine eighty seven two five seven now. While the Dan Patrick Show streams on the Ihearts radio app. We've been banished to the Internet until this Dodgers playoff run concludes. Here they are broadcasting live on AM five to seven LA Sports. It's Tim Kates and Steve Sacks.
Speaker 1: Our three Saxon Kate's and the AM on this Thursday morning, October twenty fourth. Thanks for being with us live in local on your home of the Dodgers Game one the World Series tomorrow night Morongo Casino. Dodgers on Deck starts at four, first pitch at five oho eight. We'll be live at a local all day tomorrow, beginning at six am with SCAM nine AM. Rogan and Rodney will take over at noon. Petro some money. We'll be flexed back and starting early leading up to Morongo Casino. Dodgers on deck at four again, first pitch at five eight to our World Series coverage here on SCAM, brought to you by Chef Manitos seasoning, your seasoning partner, the Dodgers. It's World Series time. Bring out the chef in you. Steve Jeger gonna join us at the bottom of the hour and talk a little Fernando talk about the nineteen eighty one World Series and that championship win over the New York Yankees. But yesterday, Saxe, Rogan and Rodney, We're live at Hollywood Park Casino from noon until three, and we had hundreds of Dodger fans show up and register to win Game one tickets to the World Series. Right here. When you're home with the Dodgers AM Phi seven e LA Sports, you register. Yesterday they were put into a hopper and one lucky Dodger fan was just selected during the break as the winner. And we're gonna call them right now on the air. Have not reached out to them at all. Hopefully they pick up the phone when they call. We've been telling you have your phone on you if you were right out and registered yesterday at Hollywood Park. So let's go ahead. Is this one or two tickets? It's two tickets. Wow, it's two tickets. So here we go. Let's call this person. Well let's try that again.
Speaker 3: We go.
Speaker 1: Uh all right, just called the person on the air. Here we go, should be ringing. There we go. Hopefully they pick up Saxy be very anti, they don't.
Speaker 4: Not too early to call.
Speaker 1: No, Aaron, please, Hey, how's it going? Hey, Aaron, you're live on the radio on n FI seventy l as words, Tim Kate, Steve Sacks. How you doing?
Speaker 5: Oh? Good, good in yourself?
Speaker 3: Hey.
Speaker 1: You know, we're just chilling here talking a little Dodgers Baseball about Otani, whether or not you'll pitch in the World Series, and just kind of kicking around all the scenarios and storylines leading up to Game one tomorrow. What are you doing tomorrow night?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: Nothing, not much?
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, Yes you are doing something. Yeah, you're doing something now. Congratulations there, and you're going to Game one of the World Series.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm going.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 1: Awesome man. Have you ever been to a World Series game before?
Speaker 5: No? I've never been there.
Speaker 1: No, No, No, how big of a Dodger fan. Are you I'm a.
Speaker 5: Huge Dodger fan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, who's that in.
Speaker 1: The background, my sister, sister? Now, oh, are you all right? Have you decided? I thought about maybe in the last twenty four hours since going out to Rogan and Rodney and maybe maybe dreaming of going to the World Series and winning these tickets. Have you thought about who maybe you're gonna take to the game tomorrow night?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 1: Do you want to? Do you want to announce officially who you're taking to the World Series tomorrow night. It's going to disappoint a lot of people who are.
Speaker 4: He's not going to put himself in a bind right now?
Speaker 3: Erin?
Speaker 1: Where are you from? Where are you from? Erin East l A man? All right, So I imagine a big Dodger fan growing up. How about Fernando Valenzuela. Was he somebody you guys?
Speaker 3: I took a photo with him?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I met him.
Speaker 1: Nice. You were at it and you were at a Hollywood park yesterday with Rogan and Rodney. Easy signing, no problem signing up. It was an easy process.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, Hey, Aeron, I got ask you a questions. Have you ever met Tim Kates?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: Well, you haven't You haven't meached the promm, reached the promised land yet. When you meet Tim Kates like you met Fernando, you'll say, Man, now I'm complete, right, yeah, exactly right.
Speaker 1: Congratulations to you. Thanks, thanks for listening to am FI seventy LA Sports. Thanks for being out at the Hollywood Park Casino yesterday with Rogan and Rodney. It's give me a great Game one of the World Series tomorrow, Dodgers and Yankees and Aaron, You're going on, man, you are going.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Thank you so much. I appreciate it. Thank you, guys.
Speaker 1: Thank you all right, Aaron, congratulations. We'll put you on hold. We got your information, so we will reach out to you today aerin in East LA and get you your tickets for Game one of the World Series. How cool was that a guy wins tickets to Game one of the World Series and all he had to do Saxy would show up yesterday and fill out his information and register to win. Guess what we got another opportunity for you listening right now thinking dang it, I didn't win, or man, I missed out yesterday. I couldn't get out the Hollywood part. Another chance coming up, Another chance, today Wow the Inland Empire, Rancho Kuca Manga Bjay's Restaurant in brew House between noon and three today. The Rogan and Rodney Show will be out there from noon to three. Noon to three Rogan and Rodney Show, Bjay's Restaurant in brew In, Rancho Cucamonga. Get out there.
Speaker 4: It's free.
Speaker 1: All you do is sign up, Crazy, fill out your information and you're registered. And then tomorrow same time, eight am tomorrow morning, right here on Saxon Kate's in the am, We're gonna pull a winner and announce him and call him on the air for Game two of the World.
Speaker 4: Hey, Crazy, not to go. You gotta show up.
Speaker 1: I mean, what are you waiting for. You don't have to sign up and pay to do anything. You don't to register and give blood or anything. All you can do is sign up.
Speaker 4: And that's a great place to get a meal too. Absolutely, get one of those pazookies. You love those those cookies at the ice cream on top with all the caramel and whipped cream and all that. They're great. We haven't right by here where I live. Yeah, they're amazing.
Speaker 1: You're a glutton and you love eating all all all the sugar and stuff sexy. Look at you, you see what I mean right now? Of course, congratulations to Aaron and easta like it's that simple. He registered yesterday and he's a winner today. You wouldn't announce who he's taken to the world, you know what, Saxy. That sounded to me like a guy who didn't want to tell either his wife or somebody close to him that they weren't going, or.
Speaker 4: Some close friend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, take it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's kind of like gonna, you know, not put that out on the airways right now.
Speaker 1: I mean, he said his sister was in the background yelling at how she's been. She probably thinks she's going. Yeah, and he.
Speaker 4: Probably wanted to go, and he said, no, no, no, I promise Bob at work, I'm gonna take him or or somebody else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, somebody else is going. I'm sure he's got some buddies now all ringing him up and texting him saying, hey, man, I heard you on five seventy. I want to go with you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Congratulations to Aaron again. Your opportunity for game two tickets is this afternoon at BJ's Restaurant and brew House in Rancho Cucamugga with the Rogan and Rodney Show. All right, let's go back out to the phones. Daniel in Pasadena, Daniel, thanks for wait. How you doing today?
Speaker 3: Hey, I'm doing great.
Speaker 4: About to drop my boys off.
Speaker 5: The school is listening to you guys, and been listening to you since the Dodgers in the playoffs.
Speaker 1: Crawesome. Appreciate that, Daniel. You guys fired up for Game one the World Series. Are the boys ready?
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're talking about what we want to make your dinner.
Speaker 4: You gotta make sure you put your stuff on. Tomorrow could represent tomorrow.
Speaker 5: We're scided, we're pumped.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's gonna be a fun.
Speaker 4: Kids are well indoctrinated.
Speaker 1: Way to go. Kids are ready to go, Daniel. Appreciate appreciate you checking in this morning.
Speaker 4: Meg.
Speaker 1: Get those kids to school, be safe and get ready for an exciting world series coming up here on About.
Speaker 4: That is is? Uh? Daniel has the kids listening to a five seventy Uh. You know, they sound like they're like in the second or third grade and they're already tuning in. They're they're they're indoctrinated for life.
Speaker 1: Oh, they're gonna be listeners forever, Michael and Torrens. Thanks for waiting patiently. You're on a five seventy l A Sports with Sax and Kates in the morning. Michael, go ahead, you're on the air.
Speaker 5: All right, Hey guys, good morning morning, Steve. I played against you in high school.
Speaker 4: You did last year?
Speaker 5: You played for Marshall High. Where'd you go to baseball game? Been? I went to Folesome, Okay, I was. I was a sophomore and I got called up to the show and an injury. Anyway, the most amazing baseball player I've ever seen until show. Heytni's game the other day and that was the best I've ever seen. I think it was your third at BET. I went out to the picture and I said, hey, you know, let's not waste our time. It's almost fastball across the outside corner. I hope he doesn't hit a triple. It was, it was, It was amazing. Now I want to talk about Fernando a little bit. You know, anybody who's ever known anything about baseball, even if they never saw him play, knows what pos he's going to be in in that statue, don't we all. I don't even have to describe it. We all know what it's going to be. And when I think of that picture, I hear Vin Scully talking about, you know, having spend a lifetime listening to Vinnie. And the thing about Fernando that keeps occurring to me is people talk about how nice he was and what a wonderful guy he was to meet. There was a way that he that he held himself and the way that he walked that that had a confidence that you know, didn't come out of his mouth. You know, we all walked, some of us strut you know, he strode, he broke well who was walking out to that mound? He said, this is what I'm gonna do. And when he was walking off and he was going, see, I told.
Speaker 4: You, yeah, awesome, You're right, Mike.
Speaker 1: I appreciate right, buddy. All right, somebody who competed against you in high school saxy and put you on that high I know right where that is. You guys spank full some imagine you guys probably both raised them right, just.
Speaker 4: Beat him dirty. You know. Our our team, Uh, my brother and I when we were I was a fresh I was a sophomore on the varsity. My brother was a senior. My brother four to one hitters in high school. Just mowed people down just through the fastball. That's all he did. He didn'tven put fingers down. And anyway, our school was like not even seven hundred people in the whole school, and we were spanking schools that had like three four thousand people, just whooping them because my brother was just mowing them down.
Speaker 1: So the Saxon brothers were just carrying the martials.
Speaker 4: Brothers were just putting some whooping on some people. I mean this little tiny school out in the sticks, little tiny school, Marshall High School, James Marshall High School, and we were beating school's way over three thousand kids. And yeah, my brother was like the best player in northern California. He was just dominating people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's awesome, it's great, that's awesome. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is our number here. Congratulations to Aaron from East LA. He was our winner of the Game one World Series tickets. He did it by registering at Hollywood Park Casino yesterday with Rogan and Ronnie and again. Your chance to win Game two World Series tickets is at BJ's Restaurant in brew House in Rancho Cucamunga between noon and three today, it'll be Fred Rogan and Ned Pillti will be out there joining Fred today. Yeah, and Ned one of the architects of the Dodgers in the early in the mid two thousands, and then handed it off to Andrew Freeman, who continued this run of Dodgers winning divisions and going to the playoffs now twelve straight years. He'll be out there with Fred today between noon and three this afternoon, I sent you a pitcher of sexually. Somebody tweeted at me some photos of you playing in Venezuela in nineteen eighty one, because you mentioned yesterday that you didn't go to the parade in nineteen eighty one, that when the World Series was over, Steve Sacks got on a plane went down to Venezuela to play a little winter ball, and somebody has some photos of you down there.
Speaker 4: I saw that. I saw it, and that thing about me running around third right there, there was a picture of me doing the trot. You know, there was a home run trot, and I never hit very many, so I knew when I was doing it that was off at Dave Stewart.
Speaker 1: Was it really? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Hit dead center field. I remember it very well. Yes, yep, wasn't.
Speaker 1: Dave Stewart a Dodger. Yeah, you guys played on different teams in Venezuela.
Speaker 4: He was with Zulia and I was with Racas Leon de Caracas.
Speaker 1: So how long is the Winter League down? There's like three months?
Speaker 4: Four months? Really, I was down there, right. I think I missed the parade. I had to go down there. I was down to the whole time, and I miss Christmas, I missed Thanksgiving, I missed all that, missed my birthday and got back, I had like three or four days off and I was going to Big Lee camp. That was it. Three or four days off the whole winner and I was in Big Lee camp. Its just like fast.
Speaker 1: How much did that help you going into that nineteen eighty two season which you wanted to helped a lot.
Speaker 4: And what really helped a lot is the fact that I got to come up in eighty one and you know, have like a little over one hundred at bats. It wasn't a full season, it wasn't counted the season, so the next year was my rookie year. But it helped a lot. But going down in Venezuela, it was really good brand of baseball too. It was a solid triple A maybe low big leagues, you know that, that kind of right in there, and it was It was great. It helped a lot, very much a cultural experience on anything.
Speaker 1: That's a great experience to go down that's where you learn your Spanish down there and journey those Spanish Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, I took it in high school and then I tried to practice as much as I can when I was down there and with your teammates you liked. I like to practice it because I love the Spanish language. I think it's beautiful and it's not a real difficult language to learn. Now you try to throw some Japanese or German at me, nah, I don't think I could do it, but Spanish is pretty.
Speaker 1: Is Marshall High School closed now in Sacramento.
Speaker 4: James Marshall High School closed when I graduated in seventy eight. They closed it afterwards and they combined our school, James Marshall, with our crosstown rival, which is Washington High School, and they made this big, beautiful school now called River City High School. So now Marshall High School is a is a River City High School is a derivative of Marshall and Washington High School.
Speaker 1: So all your records though, carry over though, right.
Speaker 4: You know, I don't know. I think they did because I was so I was so grateful and so humbled that when they they started River City High School, they retired my number and gave me my jersey, and I think they said that the records are going to stay there through through River City. So I haven't checked. I don't know if they're there now, and maybe they're broken, but I don't know. It was just such an honor though it was. It was great, great ceremony.
Speaker 1: What number did you wear in high school that's now retired there?
Speaker 4: I were number threeumber three, yep, And that's why I wanted it in the big leagues. I love number three. That's just my favorite number.
Speaker 1: How come you weren't a Grant High School pacer?
Speaker 4: That they got some good athletes over there. Grant High School is always in the top in baseball, football, and basketball.
Speaker 1: Yes, Was that not an option for you up there in the Sacramento area?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: It was, it was.
Speaker 4: No, I wasn't. I didn't live in that area, Okay, so you have to go, you know kind of where you lived. I lived way out in the country. I lived out on a farm and so James Marshall was the only one I could go to.
Speaker 1: Interesting. Yeah, see, I picture Sacramento is like, you know, fort city square blocks and then it's there's just farmland after that.
Speaker 4: Oh no, it's it's pretty big. Now there's probably you know, with the A's coming here and they wonder if people can support up here in northern California. There's no question. I'd say there's probably with all the surrounding areas well over a million and a half people that will support it. And you know, right now, the tickets for the Sacramento A's, I don't know if they're going to be called the Sacramento A's, but they're basically sold out now. They're they're already gone. So how many is it going to hold? Like seventy five hundred tenth thos No, it holds just under fifteen thousand.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so they're gonna triple. They're gonna triple the attendance that they've had at Oakland, which is about five thousand a game.
Speaker 1: I think right now that's crazy.
Speaker 4: And so they're gonna get all the way to fifteen thousand, you know, just right out of the gate. So that's good for them.
Speaker 1: That is awesome. That's gonna be a fun atmosphere up in Sacramento when they start playing up there this next season. I don't know they're gonna call them the Sacramento As or I.
Speaker 4: Think they're just gonna call me athletics, okay, because they're not sure. You know, I know the owner up here, the vague he wants to buy the team. He already bought the River Cats. Of course, he owns the Sacramento Kings. Now he wants to buy the A's and if he does, he's ready to build the stadium and it's gonna beautiful.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. Le Let's get a final call in here before we take a break, and we hear from Steve Jeger coming up at the bottom of the hour, Carlos and downy. Thanks for being patient, Carlos, how you doing? Oh we lost Carlos. I think I might have hung up on him there, so I apologize the River City Raiders. That's the high school there, Yes, okay, yep, that's school. Now I'm getting flooded with text message just right now. That is awesome. All right, we'll take a break we'll come back. We'll get to Steve Jeger, We'll get to more of your phone calls. It's media day for the World Series. Yes, both teams will meet the media, talk to the media for forty five minutes, go through workouts, do all the photos, the video shoots. Get that all out of the way, and get ready for Game one of the World Series tomorrow night. Don't forget you want tickets to Game two, just like Aaron and East La won tickets to Game one. Here on AI seventy. All you gotta do is be out at BJ's restaurant in brew House. Sign up for free, and then listen to saxon Kates in the morning at eight am tomorrow when we announce one lucky winner. Out of all those who registered, there was hundreds yesterday. Expect hundreds more to sign up today for Game two. Steve Sacks, Tim Kates, and you Steve Yeger. Next, you're on NFI seventy I Sports. It's Sax and Kate's in the am here on a M five seventy LA Sports. You're a home for the Dodgers. Game one of the World Series is tomorrow. Night's first bitch at five eight. Congratulations to Aaron in East La. Well tickets to Game one just by going out and signing up and registering with Rogan and Rodney yesterday at Hollywood Park Casino. Today between noon and three, head out to Ranchokouckamonga, the BJ's restaurant in brew House between noon and three, Rogan and Rodney show another chance for you to win World Series tickets to Game two on Saturday. Well announced the winner tomorrow at eight o'clock right here on NFI seventy LA Sports. Don't forget MLB tonight on MLB Network as you're a home this World series with live covers before and after every game with highlights, interviews, expert analysis, and more from each Dodgers Yankees World Series game. Visit mlbnetwork dot com.
Speaker 4: But Saxony, yeah, tell learn to wear a red shirt and stand up and wave so we can see him on TV.
Speaker 1: I will tell him that red shirt so we can make sure we see you. So yeah, yeah, because.
Speaker 4: We can pick him out of fifty six thousand, oh.
Speaker 1: Easy easily with red shirt. That'll be easy to do. That basket to be all blue. He see of blue at a Dodger stadium tomorrow nights Join us now Saxy, one of your former teammates, thirteen years with the Dodgers, a World Series champion, a World Series MVP in nineteen eighty one. It's forty three years since the Dodgers and Yankees last squared off in the World Series. He is the great Steve Jaeger, and he joins us now here on a him y seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 4: Steve.
Speaker 1: How you doing so, Steve?
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm doing Vine, And good morning to everybody. How you doing okay.
Speaker 1: Zach me Yes, sir, yes, sir, you bet appreciate you coming on Steve. Here. We are now forty three years later, we get into the World Series. In a second, but certainly the last twenty four hours the tragic passing of Fernando Vealezuela at the age of sixty three. I saw you on Sports in at La yesterday. Just your thoughts on on Fernando and losing him so young.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, first of all, I mean, Michael Dolans just go out to Linda and you know, his wife, his kids, his grandkids for their loss. But you know, we lost a good from a really good man, and he came a long way in his young life starting from you know, a small town in Mexico to do what he did as a player, getting the opportunity coach is show you that anybody can do that if they if they got to desire and then believe in themselves. And Freddie had a marveled, a marvelous career uh as a player. And when he came to La and Stevie was there, he took off like a rocket. It was just unbelievable what this kid could do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hey, Timmy, I gotta I gotta say this to Steve. I'm so glad you're with us today. And Steve Yeager is one of the guys I watched growing up. And when I finally got in the big leagues, I was he was one of the guys I was, you know, enamored of just being around because he was such a big leaguer. But Steve, Steve Yeager is the only guy I can tell you that actually really hurt my hand when he was throwing the ball down to second Basely he had Tim tim People talk about, uh, you know Johnny Bench, how great of a catcher Johnny Bench was. And you have many, many people, not just a smattering of people. Many people say, well, you know, Steve Yeger was as good and some people will say it's Jaeger then bench as far as being a great catcher, that's how great Steve Yeger was behind the.
Speaker 3: Dish, that's very nice.
Speaker 1: Absolutely cure Steve.
Speaker 4: And we all know it is an absolute truth. And so Steve catching Fernando, tell tell the world what it is like about that screwball that he had, How he could vary the pitch, the height on it, the you know, the speed, and he was able to use that thing almost like a right handed curveball.
Speaker 3: Wasn't he Well he was, And I think with Fernando and I gotta go back and see that at twenty years old, he pitched like he was twenty seven, twenty eight years old. He pitched like a true veteran. Wasn't He wasn't flushed in any way, shape or form. But I ever saw him. I never saw him upset. Even if he was in a jam, he managed to get himself out. And it was just remarkable that the maturity, that's just shuk Man hand. And as far as that curveball and shrewball, it was like reminds me of Tommy John. All I had to do was tell Fernando where the hit or was he was up on the plate, which just went along further outside. If it was back, we can bring it on the plate more. And if he's up in the box, all those things just mattering. It's just a little things that Freddy had the ability to make. You just look for it and look for it and look for it, and all of a sudden, here comes a little eighty five on hour fastball and your froze. You have no idea what's going on because you're looking for that screwtball. And he could throw it anytime. That was That was the amazing thing. He had the accomfidence in himself to uh to throw it at anytime three and two, three and oh he didn't care. He threw it and whenever it felt like he threw it and was able to throw strikes. And that's the key is being able to throw strikes.
Speaker 4: Steve.
Speaker 1: When you watch baseball now and catchers nowadays dropping to one knee, nobody blots the setting up too early. The PitchCom device. Uh it's I imagine it's maddening sitting watching a baseball game and as a catcher, you're watching these guys not block balls go to one knee, set up too early, and I guess, what, what do you want when you're watching games? What are you thinking?
Speaker 3: I try to watch it, you know, as much I can, because it's they move their gloves so much that if I was on part of that, if I saw you move it to the ball, I don't care. I mean, they take a perfectly good pitch, is on the plate and they move their glove. Why just receive the ball properly. I don't care. If you're on your knees, run your head, receive the ball properly, you know, keep the ball in the striking zone, and don't be moving it two feet when you don't have to move it at all.
Speaker 1: This pitch frame is ridiculous. It's become an art now for current catchers about how to properly catch a ball and get it and steal an extra strike.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, that's it, you said a word frame of strike. I mean when they said about framing with me, I thought you were building a dish on your house. But I always thought that if I received the ball properly and receive the ball in the strike zone and make sure that the guy behind me got a good view of the pitch I could, I could, I could get pitches that might be a all off the plate. And if I you know, I didn't make if I made you up, I look good. I was looking good. And that was the I kept the pinchers off of him and I was getting some pitches. So it's changed over the ear. I think they feel that you're down on one knee. You can, you can get the low pitch better. But I saw some balls in the last playoff section that I'm surprised the guy never broken thumb.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Steve, along those lines. Next year, there's some talk that they may be going to the automatic balls and strikes, the A B S. I don't I mean, I I don't know where this is going. Steve. I'm with you on this stuff. I'm okay with going with the flow. But man, how about all these rule changes and talk about the abs, the automatic balls and strikes. I'm not for it myself.
Speaker 3: No, no, you know, the human error has been around for a long time. And then we're gonna have robot players. We're not going you know, so you program a robot to go out and play so you don't have any mistakes. Mistakes are part of the game. You know, middle mistake, So a player you want to eliminate as much as you can. Physical physical mistakes and physical heirs are part of the games that around one hundred and fifty sixty years, So it's there. But as far as calling balls and strikes, I don't know. I you know, I mean, they're going to go too far.
Speaker 1: The Great Steve Vieger with us here on AM five seventy LA Sports as we get ready for Game one of the World Series tomorrow night. Is the Dodgers and the Yankees. Last time these two teams met up was nineteen eighty one. You were a co MVP of that World Series, a World Series champion eighty one, Steve, and it was finally an opportunity for this Dodgers team to get over the hump and beat that Yankees team that you guys had lost to two previous years in the late seventies. That World Series win?
Speaker 4: How much?
Speaker 1: How much were you guys going into that series just looking to beat this Yankees team finally and then finally doing it. What was that feeling like?
Speaker 3: Well, I think it was the greatest feeling you could have because we we thought that we had a pretty good team of seventy seven and seventy eight and didn't quite do the job. So eighty one we felt like collectively that if we were ever going to do it together, that was going to be here, because we had, uh, we had rumors of down down in the minor leagues that there was a few young guys down there, and and Stevie and and uh, Mike Marshall and Greg Brock were were pounding at the door. So we might not have the opportunity after this. And I think the Game three that Fernando pitched, uh and It's a complete game kind of kind of set the thing that, Okay, we can do this. And then we went on to win the game. And then of course you know that big controversy between Tommy John and the manager and left Tommy chuck him out and we opened up the game at that point in time. But I think this World series right here is going to be a terrific one.
Speaker 5: I mean, the.
Speaker 3: Yankees have got four guys with Stanton and Judge and so, and we got some power with Bates and and o'tawney and uh and Friedman and h Hernandez. We we got some teams. And I looked for this to be, uh, you know, a very interesting world series. I think that we have a lot of we have a lot of players, We've got some good arms in the bull fit, as you saw with a couple of games that they use a bullpen on every inning, so we got some chances. I look forced to meet him again, I really do. I think we got the horses to pull the wagon.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Steve, I got a million questions I want to ask you, but I guess I want to ask you specifically. One of them about Smith behind the plate. I'm sure you've worked some with him, and this guy is a pretty good catcher in my estimation, he's one of the better guys in there. When he's hitting, of course, he kind of separates himself from the field. How do you assess Will Smith behind the plate? And how's his progression coming in the big leagues?
Speaker 5: Think?
Speaker 3: I think Silly does a terrific job. He's got a great arm, He's able to handle the pitching staff. He may not block as many balls as they did in the past, but he does a good job of picking it back there. Not too many balls get behind. But I think in all I think this young man has done a torrific job, and I think the Dodgers still he's done, is going to be around for a long time. I look forward to be around every day. I mean, he he's that type of guy. He just gets better. I think he's more consistent and he's there and you know he's gonna he's gonna swing the back pretty good and he takes sri of the pitching step. That's how you can answer this young man to do, and he does a terrific job.
Speaker 1: I just keep thinking about all the pictures he's got a you know, game plan for and get ready for every night. I mean bullpening games aside three four five guys coming out of that bullpen after a starter almost every single game. Now, that's a lot of game play. As a catcher, you got to go into a game with a certain plan with your starter, certainly, but then you gotta start worrying about all these other pictures. And you know it's to me, I think he's doing a heck of a job having to balance all that.
Speaker 3: Well, he is, you know, That's that's That's the thing about all of the pipeline of information that teach young men have today, you can you can break it down and get a good idea of the strength and weakness of your pictures is mainly what you want to want to want. I want to figure out for me, and then's strength weakness that they hit her, and how I can take take strength against weakness. And sometimes I might have to go strengths against strength in a certain situations. But it's figger a couple of things down and trying to keep it simple and remember what you're going to do. And I think in a lot of cases the hitter will tell you what he can hit and what he will hit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Steve, with the with the way baseball is going today, being down there in the dugout, when I was coached that year with the DBACS, it looked like a damn meeting at Google in the dugout with there was binders and iPads and sheets and spreadsheets, and how do you assimilate this much information? I guess my question to you, Steve is how much is too much?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 3: I think you can only absorb so much and when you figure out enough you've got enough, you know that that's it. And that's so I think that, And I'm sure they guys do it. They they they take what they need, not necessarily everything, and that that to me is what I would do. It Take what I can do, what applies to me, What can help me do my job better, what can help me be a better hitter, what can help me be a better defensive player, the tendencies of the picture that send to see of the hitter. Take those things and kind of keep it and modify it some so it helps me so I'm not overload my brain. Yeah, it wasn't much overload anyway, but it was there.
Speaker 1: Now, Steve, you were a part of one of the greatest baseball movies of all time in Major League Major League two. You were there when when Barringer put the butt down at the end of the game and helped win the game for the Indians at that time in Major League. I know it's a movie, but my point is, the bunts, we don't see the butt anymore, the small ball like in the great movie Major League. You guys were doing it back in Major League. You guys did obviously when you played as well. But to see the Dodgers as a team that slugs and the Yankees are a team that slugs, and now we the last three days we keep hearing about how many home runs might be hit in this World Series between the Dodgers and Yankees. I think it'd be interesting to see one of these teams, if it's the Dodgers, play a little smart ball, you know, instead of small ball, a little smart ball and bring the hit and run and the stealing and the base running and the button back.
Speaker 3: Well, you know that that might be a lot of start. But you never know what's going to happen. You don't know what manager's got up those sleeves. And certainly we being a Dodgers because I'm kind of partial, as you well know, uh with with with the Dodgers, but you never know what's up the daby sleeve. He might have you butt a little bit, hit and run here there in some situations. So you know, just keep your hat on, sit out, and have a good time to watch it.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Hey, hey, Steve, my last one for you. I wanted to kind of put out, you know, my most egregious new rule in baseball, and then I wanted to ask you about this fact that you can only throw over twice to first base. I think this is absurd. It just doesn't give the catcher a chance to throw the guy out. But I think the first crazy role is putting the guy on second base in the extra innings so he can run.
Speaker 3: I don't like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but but what's this rule about two times over the first and then then then you can't throw over there? This just no chance for the picture of the catcher.
Speaker 3: Well, well, now as you can't throw over the third time, I think if you troll over, you got to pick him off.
Speaker 1: You do, it's crazy, you know, in otherwise.
Speaker 3: It's a market he goes to second base anyway, So yeah, you know, I think they're trying to sleet up the game, which is fine in that, but one and second base entire game. I still can't give used to that because to me, that's a disadvantage and then Danny's to one club and disadvantage from another club. If your ninth man made the last out and leads off to's ther second basement, you got your your first three hitters on lineup, and you should haven't been able to get a run at that point in time. Whether you know, you just start, we keep on playing. I don't like that. When you know what, they talk bigger than I am, and they fill us best for the game, and everybody agrees and That's all you can do is just go to the ball game and cure for your favorite team and hopefully come up victorious.
Speaker 1: Stee, We appreciate the time. Great catching up with you. It's a rematch of the nineteen eighty one World Series here in twenty twenty four with two great franchises going at it, Dodgers and Yankees. Love catching up with you. Thanks for coming on this morning.
Speaker 3: Thank you guys. You guys, be good and happy holidays.
Speaker 1: Steve Yeger boomer joining us here on Saxon Kate's and an.
Speaker 4: Amazing catcher, Oh man, I'm telling you, and crazy good.
Speaker 1: The the defense that he played at that time. As you mentioned, I wish he gets recognize more than you know. As you mentioned, the Johnny Benches of the world get get put up there. But you know, Steve Yeger was a hell of a catcher.
Speaker 4: You could not get a ball by him. He was built like a you know what, brick house, so you couldn't run him over. Uh And man could he throw. Oh man, I'm telling you, I've never seen a catcher throw like that. He was. He was at least as good as Johnny Bench. I've seen him both, and he's right there with him.
Speaker 1: Great to catch up with Boomer. Coming up. We'll get to your phone calls or wrap things up. Get ready for media day today out of Dodgers Stadium, Dodgers and Yankees both. We'll be out there talking to all the members of the international and national media. He is gonna be a zoo out at Dodger Stadium today and then Game one of the World Series tomorrow right here on NFI seventy LAS Sports. Don't forget your chance to win Game two World Series tickets by going out and hanging out with Rogan and Rodney and registering today at Bjay's Restaurant in brew House in Rancho Cucamonga between noon and three today your chance to win. Just like airon in East LA one earlier Game one World Series tickets, you have a chance to win tickets to Game two. He's Steve Sacks. I'm Tim Kate. Thanks for being with us. Live a local and you're a home of the Dodgers. An FI seventy LA Sports. Saxon Kate here on M five seventy LA Sports, your home of the Dodgers. Back out of tomorrow, bright and early at six am. We'll dive deeper into Game one of this World Series, the matchups, the storylines, the Big three of the the Yankees against the Big Three of the Dodgers, Dave Roberts versus Aaron Boone Dodgers Yankees. What this rivalry means. It's gonna be awesome. It is gonna be awesome. Cannot wait.
Speaker 4: East West? Do you like that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? East West? I mean it's the states in between. I heard somebody talking about this yesterday and that, well, nobody outside of the East Coast and the West Coast is gonna care about this game. One hundred percent disagree because they are Dodger fans everywhere, and they are Yankee fans everywhere. It's not just an East Coast West Coast. This is gonna be everybody watching this World Series, whether it's a Dodger Stadium beginning tomorrow night or going back to Yankee Stadium beginning on Monday. In the Bronx. I mean, people are fired up throughout.
Speaker 4: This global event. Yes, this is this is Japan, this is everybody in Europe is gonna be what this is gonna be a huge global event. The best players in the world. It's East, it's West, it's American National This is this is it. It doesn't get bigger better than this.
Speaker 1: Somebody tweeted at me and said, stop him. Dave Roberts already said Shoi Otani's not pitching this postseason. He may have said that already, But now that the World Series is here, and now that we're here at the end of October, and with the magnitude of this series, I'm I'd like to think they'd ask him again. Somebody's gonna ask show Hey and Dave Roberts again if there's an opportunity in this World Series for show Hey to pitch that he might pitch. I mean, he may have said it before in the previous series, but I want to know now that we're here, if there's a chance, Dave, you.
Speaker 4: Say no, but your eyes say maybe yes. I mean, really right, it is not a is it? I would say? Is that a hard no? Or is that just no? You know what I mean, there's a difference.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to follow up questions if he just says, well, you know, we'll see or that I don't think.
Speaker 4: So, you know what if this this scenario we talked about, what about that, Dave, would you yeah, if it was on the line, right, and you could smell the World Series victory and you need one out and AJ was coming up, what would you.
Speaker 1: I ultimately think it comes down to whether show he wants to pitch or not, because they're gonna go to him and say, how do you feel? This is what we feel. We don't want you to But he says, I'm in. I want to pitch one inny one at bat, give it to me for one whatever.
Speaker 4: I say, one at bad. But is he he's throwing in the pen, right yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And when we say pitching the world So I'm not talking about getting starting Game four, Yeah, I'm talking about coming out in the seventh, eighth, ninth inning, one at bat, one inning, close the game, whatever the situation.
Speaker 4: Is, it's got to be the end of the game. Right, he shuts somebody down, it's over. He's on the mound with the glove high and that's it. Fire works everywhere, you know, come on, it just wouldn't be real.
Speaker 1: It would be unbelievable. And I think the question needs to be re asked today to Dave Roberts and to Showyo Todi also today with the media day, You're not gonna just get the baseball questions. Now, you're gonna get these questions about well, well, you know, if you know, if you're back in California, is it in and out Burger better than a habit Burger? Auger five guys? Or what are we a fat burger? What do you like out there? I would ask a question like this.
Speaker 4: Okay, so the Dodgers win, Okay, they're a five or six billion dollar, you know, enterprise right now? What do they become if they win the World Series? That's a good question?
Speaker 1: Uh add a couple of billion onto that?
Speaker 4: Can you imagine that?
Speaker 1: Right? I mean, yeah, I saw something today.
Speaker 4: And do's pulling for this big time?
Speaker 1: Or what he's got he's got an investment in this in this I saw somebody today put out that the the value of show how Tania? What he has meant to this Dodgers team in one year? How do you?
Speaker 4: How do you measure that?
Speaker 1: I don't know how they do it, but I want to say it was like seventy five million dollars more than any of their previous years. What he's meant to this team financially again, marketing, I mean, merchandise, whatever, I don't I don't know how you put umber.
Speaker 4: Merch all over the world. I mean, I'm sure they all get a cut of that, right, So that's got to be just it's got to be the biggest selling jersey on the planet right now, you know.
Speaker 1: So there you go, and it's crazy going to Dodger games because everybody's there for the first time coming over from Japan. You heard about Anaheim when Anaheim, when he was pitching, and he pitched on the weekends only a lot of times, you know, every once a week on Saturdays. They would have special weekend trips from Tokyo to fly over like the day before, see an Angel game, watch him pitch, and then you fly out that Monday. So it was a whole flight just to come out of centered around the Angels and Otani when they were home for a weekend series. And most likely he was pitching all those games because he pitched once a week. Yeah, that's that's just down to Anaheim, and I'm sure that's happening now about that.
Speaker 4: There entre coming into Dodger Stadium for the first time. What a jewel, What a freaking great stadium. A few three hours today, Zaxy will do it again tomorrow. We're gonna dive deep into this game one matchup, so appreciate it.
Speaker 1: You're talking tomorrow. Thanks to Zach, Thanks to Michelle, Thanks to you for being a part of the show. Great day to day, Thanks to Steve Jeger for joining us. Great to hear from Charlie Steiner as well, who is now in remission. Check it out and on the La Times a great article from Bill Plashki about Charlie Steiner, who has missed all of twenty twenty four here battling cancer and has battled and is now in remission. And our thoughts continue to be with Charlie and his recovery and watching this World Series matchup in which he called both the Dodger games for the last twenty years and previously that calling Yankee games. So our best thoughts with Charlie in his recovery. Back at it again tomorrow at six am. Don't forget Joint Rogan or Rodney Rancho Cucamaga. Today starting at noon, you can win World Series tickets. Go sign up, See you tomorrow.