Speaker 1: Hey everyone, it's Mike from Locations unknown. Thank you once again for tuning in. Just a quick note about tonight's episode. You may notice once you start listening that my voice sounds terrible. Well, I had just gotten over a pretty bad cold for a couple of weeks. I felt fine, so we decided to record an episode. But my voice, to put it bluntly, is terrible, and I apologize for that. I'm feeling really good now. My voice is probably back to ninety nine percent. We actually recorded another episode since this one, so we'll be back to normal soon. I hope you enjoy this episode, even with my terrible voice. I've done a lot of editing to try to make it it sound as good as possible, but there's just no getting around it. And it is a very interesting episode. We did an update on Selene Kremer. We covered the original case back in twenty twenty three, so there's been a lot of updates. Sunset happens. Hope you enjoy the episode. I apologize again for my awful voice, and I just let you know that we're going to be back to normal. My voice'll be back to normal and see you next time.
Speaker 2: Thousands of people have mysteriously vanished in America's wilderness. Join us as we dive into the deep end of the unexplainable and try to piece together what happened. You are listening to Locations Unknown. Oh what's up everybody? And welcome back to another episode of Locations Unknown. I'm your co host Joey roddal with me as always is a guy who always gets his revenge. Mike vander Bogart Ah, Thank.
Speaker 3: You, Joe, and thank you to all of our loyal listeners for tuning in. Apologize for my voice, got a little bit of a.
Speaker 2: You should apologize for being sick. That's ridiculous. How do I sound terrible? Terrible?
Speaker 3: Joe's gonna do a lot of the talking this one, so.
Speaker 2: Nope, nope, We're gonna make it. I'm just gonna make it. It's gonna get way worse. So just a few.
Speaker 3: Patreon shout outs before we get going, So thank you to Sarah McCoy, Ashley Estrada, Dana Tally. And that's it. I thought we had more. If you want to call the show, you can call two eight three nine one three. We also have some other podcasts on the network you can check out off the trails. Who runs this park? Crime off the Grid and relish. If you want to support the show, you can support us through Patreon, YouTube memberships, premium subscriptions, and Apple buy some stuff on our store. You can always just like and comment wherever you find locations unknown. It helps with the algorithms. Outside of that, what's been going on with you?
Speaker 2: Joe just got back from Cozumela on a diving trip. It was amazing. I did not get lost in the ocean. That's good. Those goods on back and that's why it's been taking so long.
Speaker 3: But you didn't didn't drink the water?
Speaker 2: I did not? Well, I did at the resort. We had clean water, Okay, so it's perfect. Yeah, So all right, everybody, let's gear up and get out to explore locations unknown. In August twenty twenty three, we covered the disappearance of a thirty one year old Belgian traveler who vanished after setting out on a short walk to Philosopher Falls in the dense rainforest of northwest Tasmania. What appeared to be a brief tourist hike quickly became a mystery shaped by harsh winter weather, difficult terrain, and weeks of intense search efforts. Now, nearly three years later, new developments have brought investigators and her family closer to understanding what may have happened. In this update episode, we revisit the case, walk through the latest search efforts, examine newly discovered evidence, and look at how phone data, volunteer searches, and the unforgiving landscape around Philosopher Falls have reshaped in the leading theory in Selene's disappearance. Join us this week as we continue the investigation into the mysterious disappearance of Selene Kremer.
Speaker 3: So, we've never gotten more comments on our episode like hey, you know big updates in the case, were like, yeah, we did this episode three years ago, Like.
Speaker 2: Oh, like everyone is aware of the updates. Like a lot of people, a lot of people are aware of this show and they're like, hey, let's go.
Speaker 3: They're like, hey, there's these big updates, and I would reply back like, yeah, we know, we did this three years ago.
Speaker 2: So you know what I was wondering just now, Yeah, I wonder how many of those people are listeners who knew or they just found out about the case and that there's updates, and then they'd like Go Keyboard Warrior, all the podcasts like to be important. Yeah, I don't know. I mean I'm not saying that's a bad thing, Like we get to find out either way. But I never thought of it that way, except I always assumed it was just listeners who remember every episode right and come back and like, oh, I knew about this, but I didn't realize that maybe just amongst the lost forms, when an update goes, everyone just runs to everywhere. It's like the town crier.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean I think for a while there, the case was blowing back up again and we were showing up in a lot of the search results.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying. They're listening to the like hey, this is out of date, and then we come comment and it was just kind of funny.
Speaker 3: People are like almost like mad at us, like hey, like they're like, yeah, sorry, we did this three years ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I wonder what the conversion rate is on those people. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: But yeah, we released our original episode in August of twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Three, so all right, a few years ago.
Speaker 3: So we're just gonna go through a quick location climate profile and then we'll get into timeline love it.
Speaker 2: So Selene disappeared in one of those spots that looks like a quick tourist walk on paper, but sits inside very serious country once you step off the built path. So Philosopher Falls is a short rainforest track about ten minutes drive south of the small mining town of Warata in northwest tans Mania. Ches. I'm the we had computer issues for like an hour and a half. We should be done recording right now, and it's thrown me off on the fridge in the Tarkien Fringe fringe of the Darkian near Savage River National Park. Yeah, this is going to be a rough one with your voice and in my mental acuity. The drive is a simple sealed then unsealed road with a small car park in a clearly marked trailhead leading into cool, temperate rainforest. The form walk is roughly one point eight miles or three kilometers return, with about three hundred and fifty to three hundred and eighty feet or one hundred and fifteen meters of elevation gain, and is usually graded as an easy to moderate one to one and a half hour outing to a fenced viewing platform above multi tiered waterfall. So this is a very tourist friendly, like kind of paved path that lots of people do. It's short, quick and sweet, should be so that tourist friendly track sits at about six hundred and sixty six fifty meters of elevation in a band of forest that gets a regular winter snow, icy rain, and sub zero overnight temperatures. I just never think of rainforest and snow in ice. I don't. So once you leave the form path and the safety railings, the terrain changes immediately steep side slopes dropping towards the creek, slick roots and mossy rock, tangled her horizontal scrub that forces you to push and crawl in a maze of old water, raised cuttings, and informal footpads that are not signposted, not maintained, and not obvious from above. The broader setting is a remote is remote by Tasmanian standards, but still close enough to a town to feel deceptively tame. Waratah is only about nine to ten kilometers away by road. Yet the bush around the falls and the Arthur River seven mile creek corridor is dense, dark and slow to move through, with limited phone reception and very few obvious landmarks, you're off Once you're off track, you're off track. Yeah. That combination a short Instagram hike quote unquote at the edge of serious rainforest winter conditions and a maze of unmarked features defines the location where Slen parked her car, walked in, left the trail, and ultimately vanished. So a little bit about the climate where she met missing is classic West Coast Tasmania, cool, wet, voltle with winter conditions that can turn deadly fast if you're lightly Equippedall sits at the Takana rainforest belt of northwest Tasmania, a region with a cool, temperate maritime climate, mild by Australian standards, but very wet, especially on the western slopes. Statewide, summers are comfortable, with winters cold and windy, with average highs in winter around eleven to thirteen celsius that's the low fifties on the coast, and colder again inland at an elevation the broader islands, winter maximums typically run about three to eleven degrees celsius. The Stanley and Tarkaine region, which covers Wartaw and the surrounding rainforest, gets up to two four hundred millimeters of rainy year, making it one of the wettest parts of Tasmania and keeping the rainforest lush, but trails frequently met wet, muddy and slippery. Up in the rainforest where the Philosopher Falls track runs at roughly six hundred to six hundred and fifty meters of elevation. That maritime pattern translates into frequent low cloud, regular rain and drizzle, and a lot of cold, damp days even outside midwinter. In winter and early spring, it's common to see snowfalls, icy winds, and overnight frosts on the higher ground, with daytime highs sometimes only just above freezing and the wind chill pushing perceived temperatures lower. Walker's trip reports talk about raining and the forest dripping as a normal experience, and locals warn that weather can pivot quickly from clear to sleet or hail, especially around fronts, exactly the pattern that was in place during the June July twenty twenty three season, when freezing temperatures, snow and rain triggered a bush walker's a weather alert for the Warataw area. I'm gonna look up what that is when you're talking, Okay, A bushwalker's weather alert that mix cold air, high rainfall, frequent wind, and rapid weather changes over rugged shaded terrain creates high hypothermia risks for anyone caught out without proper insulation, waterproofs, and shelter partiarticularly in June when the wet season is ramping up and days are short. Tell us about Selene Kremer.
Speaker 3: Mike, Yeah, so real quick here. Her name was Selene Kremer. She was born June thirteenth of nineteen ninety two. Her last confirmed sighting was June seventeenth, twenty twenty three, when she was reported missing. June twenty sixth of twenty twenty three. Like Joe said, she was thirty one at the time of her disappearance. She was approximately five foot five to five foot seven. We don't have a reported weight, but she was described as average build. She had brown hair, brown eyes, no other widely reported distinguishing marks like tattoos or scars. Okay, clothing and gears she was last seen in, so she was believed to being dressed for a short light day hike, not an overnight or multi day trip. Reports and later Fine suggests she wore layered clothing, including a thermal top and a polar fleece jacket with additional basic Graham protection improvised from a garbage bag, and she carried a small pack with limited food and water and her phone. Personality wise, she was portrayed by family and friends as very adventurous and curious and optimistic, someone who loved nature and travel and who had saved and planned for a long Australian trip for years. And you know, she was very comfortable with independent and solo travel to remote areas, and this is backed up by a lot of her social media posts and photos. Far as medical issues, there was nothing publicly indicated that I have any significance, you know, pre existing conditions such as seizures or cardiac issues or any mobility issues and pretty much just a healthy adult. There really wasn't anything to go on for that occupation hobby. Back in Belgium, Selene worked in roles that allowed her to save and then take it extended travel time. Sources sometimes describe her as having an ordinary job rather than a professional guiding her outdoor career and her hobbies were travel, hiking, photography. She was actively exploring Tasmania at this time. Sounds like a fun, fun trip Joe's got some pictures over her that he's showing on the screen here.
Speaker 2: Not yet. I always do that, yep, experience in the wilderness.
Speaker 3: So Selene had enough outdoor experience to really be comfortable during solo hikes on mark trails and foreign countries. She had spent months traveling around the island visiting popular natural sites and appeared very confident on maintain trails. At the same time, though, there is no sign she was a specialist pushwalker as they call him out there, and evidence suggests she treated Philosopher Falls as a short tourist walk, not a serious backcountry trip. So, like we said, light clothing, no overnight gear, stuff like that. So her experience level for what she intended to do is pretty normal. I mean, the trail she was taking was well maintained quick, it was going to be in and out, so you know, nothing, no red flags there. So we'll jump right into timeline here and I will cover the timeline kind of leading up to our original episode, and then we'll go into the new theory or the new developments, and then at the end we're going to play our old theories. I love it, and then we will discuss the new theories that have come about since the New Discoveries. Our timeline starts early twenty twenty three, so Sleen had been living in Tasmania for about six months, using Hobart as a loose base while she explored the island. She spent that time hiking and sight seeing, and on February twenty second of twenty twenty three, she posted a photo from the top of Mount Wellington with the caption a Little Devil in Tasmania, which was a snapshot of how much she had fallen in love with landscape. Her family would later go on to say that she had already booked her next step, a fairy trip on the Spirit of Tasmania to Victoria on June twenty first. Unfortunately, this was a booking she never made. In the months before winter, she became especially drawn to the temperate rainforests and old mining country in the northwest around Warta and the Philosopher Falls. She's been all over the island. It's mid June two thousand and three, twenty twenty three. In the days leading up to her disappearance, Sleen stayed in interminute touch with friends and family back in Belgium. Early media reports put her last contact somewhere between the twelfth and sixteenth of June, reflecting that no one initially knew the exact day she stopped replying. Police later summarized that she had not been in contact since the twelfth, but they were clear that the last confirmed sighting came a little later. By Saturday, June seventeenth, she had traveled to Warataw, a small historic mining town about nine kilometers from Flaster Falls trailhead. Multiple police briefings and news stories now agree that this is the last time anyone definitively remembered seeing her, with Inspector Andrew Hansen later calling it the last confirmed sighting and describing her as alone driving a white Honda CRV, and at some point in that day she drove the short unsealed road from town out to Flaster Falls car Park. The main track from there is a graded signposted one point six mile out and back walk through dense rainforest to a waterfall viewing platform. But beyond that built path, like Shoe described, the country becomes very remote, steep and tangled with vegetation. Easy hike if you stay on, very difficult if you go off trail at all. So on June seventeenth, Selene left her Honda at the car park. From all intents and purposes, was a short day hike to the falls and back. She was, like I said earlier, only equipped for a light outing, no overnight gear, no heavy cold weather layers, which police emphasized this early on in the search, so it was very important for them to mention that it was going to be a very light walk. For and for many months, the only solid framework for her movements that day came from police statements that her phone was believed to have lost signal around the twentieth of June, and that she likely left the car sometime in that window for a day walk. Later, privately commissioned analysis of tower hits and at base GPS lugs added more granularity to her movements, placing her leaving the car park in mid afternoon, following the track to the falls, and then continuing beyond the platform into scrubby steep ground above the waterfall. But they treated those details as tentative because they didn't come from the initial police record. So in those reconstructions, her phone's GPS shows positions along a water race line and up to and up onto a ridge, with a final recorded point around four eighteen pm, as she appears to turn back off track into the rain. Police themselves stayed in their statements to the public very broad. They said they believe she left the mark trail, became lost and confused and very dense brush, and never made it back to the car before dark. What everyone could agree on at this time was that after late afternoon on the seventeenth, no one saw her return to the car park, no further calls or messages went out, and the Honda remained locked and unattended. So between June eighteenth and twenty fifth, other walkers continued to use Lost or Falls track. When the missing person's investigation got rolling, police later said they heard from several hikers who had been in the area between the seventeenth and the end of the month, with memories of cars in the car park and people on the trail. One specific appeal went out for a person on the trail around two thirty pm Sunday, June eighteenth. Officers stressed this was not a suspect, just someone who might help fill in the timeline. The walker was eventually identified and interviewed, but didn't have any anything that definitively pinned down Selene's movements, so then June twenty first came and went without her boarding the Spirit of Tasmania to Victoria. That missed fairy was a huge red flag for her family and friends, who had been expecting to hear from her as she crossed to the mainland. As days passed with no messages and no sign of her on the ferry manifest they escalated their concern to the Tasmanian authorities. It's now June twenty sixth. It's a Monday of twenty twenty three. Tasmanian Police receive a formal concern for welfare report from Selene's friends and family. Publicly, they described a Belgian woman traveling the state in a white Honda CRV, last seen in Hobart and believed to be headed toward the West coast, and asked anyone who had seen her or her vehicle since June twelfth to contact them. The next day, June twenty seventh, officers checking likely west coast locations right away found her SUV parked at the car park. The vehicle was locked and unattended. There was no trace of Selene in the immediate area. Search and Rescue teams supported by a police drone then immediately began searching around the car park and along the walking track, and police closed the whole area to the public so they could work without any interference. And it looks like Joe is showing some pictures.
Speaker 2: Of the yes search, look at all that is? Yeah, it is gnarly.
Speaker 3: That is some thick jungle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the bush, the bush? Right, I had a search and the bush.
Speaker 3: Then, Mike, I had a guy the other day delivered door dash to our house that sounded like the Crocodile Hunter.
Speaker 2: It was pretty funny bringing in some doll dash. I Mike I almost like.
Speaker 3: Asked him, like, could you record a few lines from me?
Speaker 2: Like some dar dash lines in Australia show? Yeah, did you know why?
Speaker 3: I don't know?
Speaker 2: Do it? Next time? I will order from the same guy. I have to figure out who who is? You should be able to look up your driver. Yeah, I don't remember, like you know, go on your app and learn history. What do you mean, of course? Do you remember what you ate? What do you deliver? I was shrimp on a ball eight right? Where was I playing? Knife? Spoony?
Speaker 3: Knife, spooney, that's not a knife.
Speaker 2: So you played naifey spoony before.
Speaker 1: Okay, so sorry, I'm just gonna swap my section out with like an Australian guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, crocking. My threat's been hurt. Got a bit ill the other day from the little lads running around.
Speaker 3: All right, It's now Wednesday, June twenty eighth. Ground teams and drone and the drone unit continued to grid the Philosopher Falls area with a police helicopter on standby. There was a cold front rolling over Tasmania's west, which meant conditions were already deteriorating. There was light snowfalling, a bushwalker's weather alert was active, and nighttime temperatures were dropping below freezing. By June twenty ninth, Inspector Anthea Maingey was blunt about the seriousness of the situation. She laid out what had been done ground cruise drones, planned helicopter sorties, and underline that no sign of Sleen had turned up since the car was found. She warned that the combination of freezing temperatures, snow and rain had created conditions not survivable for the length of time that celine is thought to have been exposed in the wilderness, and this was a conclusion obviously backed by medical advice and based on what she was wearing and packed with her she was not prepared for conditions below freezing with snow and wind and all that stuff. So at this stage police believed her car had been sitting in the car park since at least June twentieth, and later refinements to this suggested it might have been there since as early as June seventeenth, based on witness reports and phone activity analysis. But throughout they hammered the point that she had only packed for a light day when she left.
Speaker 2: Okay, So Bushwicker's Weather ALERTE was a specific weather alert advised by meteorological agencies in Australia, warning hikers and campers of forecast conditions at post severe risk outdoor safety. That like the triggers are what you'd expect, high heat, high winds, cold, wet, stuff like that. Yeah, but best practices are saying if they issue a Bushwalker's Weather Alert, like you're supposed to postpone, cancel or completely re route your trip to avoid the affected areas. They're not saying like be careful or dress appropriately. They're just saying like, just don't just don't do it. So they must only do that if it's very hazardous, and if we have some listeners from down on that you can let us know if that's true.
Speaker 3: I wonder in the US what that would be, like a severe like a winter storm warning if they yes, but.
Speaker 2: They don't ever like say, hey, I guess, yeah, I guess, Like there's probably somewhere written like if we issue this, this is the record.
Speaker 3: Probably like yeah, like if they issue one for like Yoseboy, maybe they add some language like change your plans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's like when you were there and it was on fire. Yeah, and like, hey, maybe you don't camp here. Yeah, it's on fire.
Speaker 3: There's literally ash falling from the sky.
Speaker 2: Maybe. Yeah, you see how everyone's leaving their homes. Yes, don't go into the woods either. Yeah. Okay, I guess I could have guessed that, but I wanted to make sure it was correct. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So it's now Friday, June thirtieth, and the search now is focusing more on the waterfall and gorge itself. Search and rescue specialists repelled from the viewing platform down towards the base of Philosopher Falls, checking ledges, cliff faces, and thick vegetation along the watercourse or any signs of a fall, maybe a shelter or drop gear. Walking tracks stayed close again to the public while they worked. It's now July first. This is when Tasmanian SES teams brought in ATVs to work forestry and access roads around the falls. They extend, you know, extending the search net outwards. While detectives got piecing together her movements between the seventeenth and when she was reported missing, people who'd walk there in the period continued to forward with what they'd seen. On Sunday, July second, Search and Rescue and SES personnel ran a track offset search along Butler's Road in the morning. In the afternoon, the weather finally cooperated enough for the Westpac Rescue helicopter to fly, giving them an aerial view of the Philosopher Falls region that hadn't been possible in the earlier low cloud and snow. All Right, so we're getting into the final update of our previous episode. So it is July ninth and tenth of twenty twenty three. So after almost two straight weeks of operations in this crazy statement snow affected rainforest, Tasmanian police did a full review of the search. By Sunday, July ninth, they were already signaling a wind down. On Monday, July tenth, Commander Stuart Wilkinson formally announced that the major ground and air search around Warsaw and the Philosopher Falls area was being suspended. He walked through just how much had been thrown at the case, police and SES ground crews, specialist swift water teams, ATVs, drones, and repeated helicopter missions, and acknowledged that considerable search efforts have been undertaken in difficult terrain and treacherous weather conditions, but unfortunately Sleen has not been located. He also made it clear that, based on medical advice, she could not have survived the duration and severity of the conditions she likely experienced since going missing, and at the same time he emphasized that the missing person investigation itself stayed active. The message was boots were coming off the ground for now, but the file was not being closed. So that's where our old episode left off. We are now going to pick up the new developments in the case since our last episode. It's now late July twenty twenty three, so new pieces of information later that month, which was primarily refined phone activity analysis and possible earlier sightings over Honda the car park were enough to justify one more targeted push. On Friday July twenty eighth, Tasmanian Police called in a new South Wales Police could have her dog team to search a fresh area of interest around Philosopher Falls and Ward Zone. Inspector Mangay said this updated phone data had given them the tighter focus area and that police and SES crews had already been through it on foot that week without finding anything.
Speaker 2: The dog team worked through.
Speaker 3: The weekend, but by Monday, July thirty, First Commander Wilkinson had to announce that this renewed effort also ended with no sign of Selene. He repeated the line that when a person remains missing, the case never closes, and this is something that we've see all the time in cases we cover, so now it's when it starts getting interesting. Two twenty four is Selene's family retained Australian private guest investigator can Gamble to re examine the case, believing that further analysis of digital data and on the ground searching might reveal what the twenty twenty three operations missed. With the family's permission, Gamble obtained access to her phone and Google account data, reconstructing app based GPS lugs and tower connections from the day she disappeared. His analysis suggested that after leaving the march trail near the falls, Selene had pushed into the section of horizontal scrub and possibly followed a water race alignment away from the track before her phone's GPS activity ceased in the afternoon.
Speaker 2: What do you got here? So, I'm I was looking at what horizontal scrub was? Yeah? Is that something that I don't think we have here? And it's a tree that girls? Let me pull up the I'm trying to find like a video of it. Yeah, I just went to like full screen some very ob naxious like legitimately don't know how to get out of this. Facebook. There we go, Facebook, you dummy. I'm gonna read exactly what it says on here. Give me an ai. It sounds like you're asking about the vory is horizontal scrub found in Tasmania. It gets his name because its slender trunks grow vertically, topple over and fall down horizontal, creating an almost impenetrable tangled mess of vegetation. That bushwalkers must traverse sounds awful. Yeah, because it's so incredibly solid and dense, Walkers often have to literally tread or walk on top of this elevated layer of scrub, which can sometimes sit several meters above the actual forest floor. Wow, so you're like walking in the canopy ish type of like, yeah, just walking high up, navigating through or falling through. The tangled mess is a major hazard in Tasmania's wilderness and is the cause of significant injury, getting disoriented and being severely delayed on the trail. Here's what you need to know about the infamous horizontal scrub. So basically like walking on top of plants that can just give way, and they said they'll get covered with moss because it's the rainforest. So it's not only are you walking on these branches that have gone other sideways. Yeah, you now have moss on it, so it like blankets it. So if there is like a hole or like a small twig that you'd like crack through, it's like you're just stepping into a hole. Sounds dangerous and sounds super dangerous. Hike. Yeah, So that's gnarly. I'm glad we don't have that yeah.
Speaker 3: So Campbell concluded that she had left the main path, tried to cut back towards the car park or refuge, and became very badly lost in extremely dense bush as the winter rains set in, with no evidence of another person's involvement. So also Tasmanian filmmaker and YouTuber Rob Parsons became interested in the case. Around the same time, he began producing a multi part series, The Search for Selene Kramer, and his name came up a lot in comments on our episode. Everyone's like, you need to check out this guy Rob Parson who is doing a like a search and recording it. I mean, I'm very familiar with his name. So he called it the Search for Selene Kremer, and he combined on location explorations, interviews, and reconstructions of a route based on Gamble's data. His videos, hosted on YouTube and heavily shared via Facebook and Instagram, reached a global audience and gradually recruited an informal army of local hikers and bushmen willing to volunteer in the private search efforts in the Philosopher Falls area. Throughout twenty twenty four, small groups associated with this effort returned to the bush near the area, scouting ridges, gullies and the Arthur River corridor for any sign of gear or remains. Unfortunately, none of these early trips produced breakthrough, so between twenty twenty four and twenty five mid twenty twenty five, it was really just kind of slow progress. So by June of twenty twenty four, exactly a year after he disappearance, commentaris in outlets like The Tasmanian Times observed that Sleen's whereabouts were no closer to closure than they were a year earlier. They noted that Tasmania Police and SES had effectively drawn a blank and were unlikely to launch further official ground searches without new information, leaving most on the groundwork to family backed and volunteer efforts. During autumn of twenty twenty five, police did quietly recommence a targeted search in the area northwest of Philosopher Falls, based on updated phone paying information forwarded from the private investigation reports that Jess Gamble was present or consulted during that operation. Even with this insider assistance, the searchers did not locate any conclusive evidence, no clothing, bones, or gear, so by mid twenty twenty five, Ken Gamble to me that he had letter anticipated nearly a dozen separate searches in the area, and most of them documented in some way by Parsons videos or referenced in Reddit discussions of people following the case.
Speaker 2: So, okay, those are the people that came and let let us know we need update. Yes, probably, so real quick, real quick. Here's that a good video of it. Yeah. Can you see how like, yeah, far down the forest floor is.
Speaker 3: Think how slowly you'd boom moved through that?
Speaker 2: So like look at this, you got to walk on that. Yeah, so if you slip and fall there, you can bust your leg with a heavy pack on. Yeah, you're like, it's like the second floor of the forest. Yeah, that's gnarly. That's so wild that there's just people like hiking on different levels. Yeah, that's weird, the next level of hiking. Yeah nice, all right, all right, all right that training video for like steakhouse. Yeah, do you watch a game yesterday? All right, it's like training people how to talk in the buffet line that it's like for like harassment. It is it still hot out there? All right?
Speaker 3: All right, go ahead, all right, So it is December of twenty twenty five, we have a major shift in the case. At this time, Selene's friends and family, coordinated with Gamble and Parsons, organized a renewed five day search operation Your Philosopher False, drawing about thirty volunteers, including several of her Belgian friends who flew out.
Speaker 2: Specifically to help.
Speaker 3: This privately organized search was not led by police, but police were aware of it and offered support. On December thirteenth, on the hours into operation, the team made their first concrete discovery since twenty twenty three. In dense scrub at a location variously described as roughly sixty meters from our last known GPS coordinates and around three meters off the walking path. A volunteer at the back of the line, identified by the media's Tony Hage, spotted a purple Samsung phone. So Celia's friends immediately recognized it as her phone.
Speaker 2: So they found her phone.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine that's luck?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's because like just looking at these search photos, we'll hear I mean, this is like a little more open. But that's if she walked exactly here, exactly there. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So the police quickly confirmed that the device plunged to Selene and issued a media release stating that the phone would undergo forensic examination. They also announced that in light of this find, the police resources would formally join the independent search effort, with trained search and rescue officers and SEES volunteers to be on the ground whenever weather allowed. In the days that followed, the same volunteer group located additional items in the vicinity. They located a water bottle, a plastic garbage bag that appeared to have been fashioned into a makeshift poncho. Gamble described these finds in interviews, cautioning that it was not yet certain that the water bottle was Sleens, but acknowledging it is a significant clue in an area otherwise devoid of human debris. So police collected these items for DNA and trace analysis. In some media posts and Reddit threads tracking the search shared rough coordinates, photos of the dense horizontal scrub wall where the phone lay, and screenshots of ABC coverage. One Reddit user summarized that the phone had been located roughly, like I said, sixty meters from her last known position, about five hundred meters from the waterfall and trail. The weather, unfortunately would take another turn during this search, so there was heavy rain, hail, possible snow both days, which forced the group and police to pause operations for several days while forensic work on the phone and items begin. It is now January twenty twenty six, so only a few months ago. As summer progressed and river level's fluctuated, volunteers continued to scour new ground, informed by phone day to reconstruction. One of them, a Bernie local, Jared Boys, had become deeply involved after watching Parsons videos in following the case online. Motivated by a desire to finally bring answers to Selene's family, he planned his own solo search along the Arthur River, downstream from the waterfall. On Wednesday, January twenty eighth of twenty twenty six, while traversing tough country several several kilometers northeast of the main falls area, Boys came across two bones he thought could be human. He noted their location about three kilometers northeast of a water race alignment where Selene was believed to have walked, and immediately contacted police. Inspector Andrew Hansen later told media that a pathologist had reviewed images of the bones and confirmed they were human. He stressed that though at these early stages there was nothing else at the site, no clothing, no personal items to directly indicate identity, but acknowledged that the proximity to where Selene went missing made it as strong possibility the remains were hers. As he put it at the press conference, police had to treat the remains as a separate investigation until formal identification could be made, but there really was no doubt that the proximity of those bones is close enough to the area where she went missing that it was very strongly considered to be hers. News of this discovery spread quickly via ABC and social media, and all across the Reddit sphere. People were talking about retisphere. Okay, it's now late January. Early February twenty twenty six. With discovery of the bones near Arthur River, police launched a fresh, tightly focused operation. On the twenty ninth and thirtieth, they winched a team of six specialist search and rescue officers into an isolated section of the Arthur River Corridor downstream from the initial fine site. The team conducted a line search along a three hund and fifty to five hundred meters stretch of river, moving upstream and downstream, checking banks, snags, and the riverbed itself for further remains and items. During this search, police located additional bones and pieces of clothing, including a polar fleece jacket believed to be Selenes. Commander Nathan Johnson noted that many of these items were found under debris or lodged in the riverbed.
Speaker 2: Wow, so they were like thorough, Yeah, that's so difficult.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Once they had like you find a couple bones, like you and you like, ye pick up every rock and sure.
Speaker 2: Still like the odds, Yeah, like finding bone in a river that's like got rocks and moving water.
Speaker 3: And just yeah yeah, it said, you know it was found under debris and lodged in the riverbed. It underscored how easily the evidence was missed earlier in the searches, and at this time the train and weather remained punishing, so at one point the Star team had to camp overnight in the bush because weather prevented the helicopter from extracting them. And after two days without further significant discoveries, police announced the search. We paused while forensic analysis of the newly recovered remains and clothing proceeded. It is now February tenth, twenty twenty six, so on Sunday and Mondays. Shortly after that pause, police resumed a very targeted search of the same Arthur River section, again inserting personal personnel by helicopter as conditions permitted. This two day operation produced perhaps the most conclusive non DNA evidence. They found five more bones, two teeth, and a Honda KHARKI.
Speaker 2: So, five more bones, how's that non DNA? Can you not get DNA from a bone? From a bone?
Speaker 3: I don't, I don't think so. After it's been let's see what mmmm.
Speaker 2: They were in the river? Yeah, yes, you can extract DNA from the bone found the river. Because the hard mineralized structure of the bone shields genetic material. DNA could survive water submersion for months or even years, though the river environment accelerates degradation. So I bet it probably was getting beaten and worn down on box and stuff that they couldn't get any But I.
Speaker 3: Mean, so they found teeth. You might be able to match down a records with teeth. Yeah, and they found a Honda cry So pretty conclusive.
Speaker 2: But as to say, if you can determine their human bones. Then you find stuff that's very clearly hers. Yeah, that is seemingly more conclusive. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And Andrew Johnston told media that the car key had been formally verified as belonging to Sleen by using its unlocker white Hanta CRV.
Speaker 2: Very scientific. Yeah, I know right, yeah, Yeah, it's the one yeah.
Speaker 3: Which remained in police custody. He described the search along the three hundred and fifty meter river section as comprehensive and systematic, with many items found buried or wedged under a debris you know. The media and social media really picked up on this, and Reddit threads summarized developments. People are noting other items of clothing found, including a bra, thermal top, polar fleece jacket had been found alongside skeletal remains. Private investigator Ken Gamble publicly reflected with the phone remains and key now located, investigtors could make a fairly good determination of what had happened.
Speaker 2: I did just ask to like close the sloop. The odds of the key fob unlocking a similar car. Newer models practically zero, roughly one in several billion. Older models can be anywhere from one in a million to one in several thousands, so it's pretty definitive that that's Hers. I'm like, this is the longest shop I wanted to actually, I just never thought of that though, Yeah, what are the odds because of the rolling codes.
Speaker 3: So it's now late February. Over the following weeks, the recovered bones and teeth went through a multi step forensic process, examination by pathologists, anthropologists, tenel comparisons against records obtained from Belgium, and DNA analysis by Forensic Science Services of Tasmania. On February twenty seventh, Tasmania Police announced that, with Selene's family's permission, they were able to say that the remains found near Philosopher Falls and along Arthur River had been provisionally identified at Hers. Commander Johnson explained that expert reports that provided compelling evidence that the remains belonged to Slean, though the former legal identification would still come via Corners report. He added that in the light of this, there would be no further planned searches of the Arthur Rivers. Adjusting investigators considered the recovery phase effectively complete, so.
Speaker 2: They did a really good job getting all the stuff. That's pretty gnarly.
Speaker 3: So if you can, and I can added out the dead space in between this, but find our old episode and maybe play a few minutes of our theories.
Speaker 2: Okay, finally back in a time when you like, right here, my voice worked. Yes, let's see how close I am like to getting it? Show the screen. It's cool that they have the video on Spotify too, just so everyone knows. You can watch the video of us from Where is this from this Spotify web player episode eighty eight? This must be from Patreon? Nope, it is, Yes, subscriber is Oh, okay. There's things that don't make sense when you when you have a search like that. If you're not prepared and it's cold, you're not going to be going crazy off trail. And even if she did, that's where you have that dog. Let's say it said the best one was recorded again in miles twelve miles away of sensing a cadaver. Yeah, this trail is less than a mile at one point six miles or whatever. Yeah, so if you have a dog on that trail, let's let's benefit the doubt. Okay, maybe it's half as good. Yeah, should be able to pick up a cent six miles away? Maybe maybe only two miles away. That's a pretty big radius around that trail that if you're not prepared at that's thick as all get out. Yeah, Like I would look at that and say, she is not there. Yeah, So if she's not there in the car, is that means somebody removed her or she got in another car with somebody else, or something is going on. That doesn't make sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And there was no indication of her car like broke down and she tried to you know, hitchhike back.
Speaker 2: So yeah, very puzzling.
Speaker 1: That's why I'm leaning towards Obviously, not having the required gear for those conditions is a big probability of why she's missing. But and the thickness of the location is why searchers may have not a founder. Like we said, she may have gotten hypothermia and then was making poor decisions. And one interesting theory too is because she's from the Northern Hemisphere and she's hiking in the Southern Hemisphere, she may have gotten if she's got hypothermia, now was getting confused. She may have gotten mixed up directionally because you're your directions are going to be different if you're hiking in the Southern hemisphere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know, like, how so explain this? It doesn't make sense to me.
Speaker 3: So maybe this this is really because.
Speaker 2: The seasons are opposite. But north is still north, South is still south.
Speaker 1: I guess I don't know. I was just trying to think of another theory and why maybe she directionally got confused. I mean the sun.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's all. I don't know. I'm just thinking out loud here. Yeah, no, no, that's fine, but I don't think. Well, no, I'm just gonna question. I think you we have.
Speaker 3: The audio from the computer plane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's why you could hear it in your ears? Could you not hear it?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I could? Okay, Yeah, that's funny. You hit like the nail on the head. Like obviously they don't know exactly what happened, but you're but you said, oh, this arch just might not have found anything, and that's true. Well I was way off, Hollywood.
Speaker 1: Hey one of us has Hey, you get to go, Hollywood. This is the most likely scenario. Now, this is the theory that police and the private investigators believe happens lost off trail death by exposure and or drowning.
Speaker 3: So not like super shocking. So the you know, like I said, this is the working theory, so what happened was and this is what they believe happened. Through phone data, reconstructions and on the groundwork shows that Selene went beyond the end of the maintained philosopher false She followed an old water race and climbed onto a ridge above the falls instead of simply turning back on the form trail. Later analysis suggests she checked Google Maps, saw her car directly south and either chose to inadvertently follow a shortcut line rather than staying on the mark path. That line pushed her into dense horizontal scrub and steep untracked slopes, which we showed is terrible place to be in late afternoon in the winter down there, and her phone data does show like a shelter attempt, So the last GPS points and the December twenty twenty five discoveries the phone the makeshift pacho from a garbage bag branded water bottle suggests she dropped or lost the phone while forcing herself through the scrub, then attempted to shelter at a natural wind break as the rain and cold set in. From that off track position, both the private and skaters and the police reconstruction argues she likely moved downslope drawn by the sound, and trained towards the water race and then the Arthur River seven mile Creeks system. Then the remains the clothing and carcaying were recovered along that three hundred and fifty meters stretch of the river, plus the way the bones and fabric were lodged in the riverbed fit a scenario where she either succumbed to hypothermia near the water and was later scattered by flow, or she fell or was swept into the river and drowned while trying to cross it at the time. So the reason why they think this is the top theory is that it matches her known route, the GPS trail, the location of her phone, improvised gear, and the eventual location of her remains. It's consistent with expert medical advice from the time that they were warning that there's no way she's going to survive this with the gear she had, and again police and the private investigators explicitly said there was no evidence of foul play and that misadventure really was the cause of her death. Some side theories this is a variant just an injury hypothermia near the river. I mean, we don't need to really go into that much. That's kind of the same theory. These are other minority theories.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, I feel like they hit the nail right up. Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: So one of the minority theories is a fall near the waterfall. Some early reddit and forum comments floated the idea that she might have slipped well observing the falls fallen from the viewing areas.
Speaker 2: Is this before they recover this up? But they're saying that she slipped and the falls swept her down there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what like early theories were saying that. So they thought she maybe had fallen. So our teams repelled below the viewing platform and searched the waterfowl area intensely. In twenty twenty three, her phone and all her gear and remains were eventually found well beyond and downstream of the falls. So not right under Northern hemisphere internal compass theory. This is what I was trying to get at before. So a popular discussion thread idea was that being from the Northern Hemisphere, Sleen may have misjudged the Sun's path and internal compass leading her ahead the wrong way when she was trying to shortcut back to her car. And there is a small kernel of truth here in the sense that she likely tried to take a straight line shortcut south based on her phone map and got badly off route. But the Northern Hemisphere compass explanation is more of a metaphor than a concrete cause.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with that. Yeah, but that's what I was trying to get at in the original theory. I'm sure I was just giving you a crap No, I mean, rightly. So, Yeah, just like Straddle.
Speaker 2: Months, people text me when they hear that they listen to the show.
Speaker 1: It's like it's hilarious, Cat's unknown bingo, Yeah, oh yeah, smart your card and then finally foul play. They've basically completely removed that other than kind of the fringe missing four on one crowd.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was my guess. That was way off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so what do you think I think? I mean, your theory at the time was a decent theory because there was no gear and her car was still there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it makes sense because we had no data or information, and then as soon as you get access to all the information, you start seeing everything that's possible. Yeah, and it becomes pretty straightforward, I guess. So, yeah, I mean, I'm happy for the family. I'm I'm just trying to make myself feel better.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh hey, one of these times, your Hollywood theory will be what happens?
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, it's it's good that they got closure. That's a great way to put it. Because the people that we've talked to, so we do have a lot of opinions, and we don't know what goes on every case, but we all so I have had the opportunity to meet the real family members of some of the cases we've done with, and all of them say the same thing. All of them say if they're of the group that have found the remains. Eventually, they're very, you know, somber happy that they can close the door, and everyone who doesn't just is hoping that something will turn up one day. Yeah, and they'll know they want the closure. So it is really great for her family that they can get that closure. Very sad obviously because it's going to reopen old wounds, but it's always a good thing when you can get the closure. And yeah, what happened. So there you go. So I think they're right. I mean, yeah, the Devil's and the details and now they have the details. So yeah, thanks for tuning into our show. We appreciate all of you for listening and sharing locations and known with your friends and family. Be sure to like and follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube, where you can watch videos of each episode. Also, if you'd like to support the show monetarily, please visit our website or Facebook store to buy some Sweet Sweet swag, and you can subscribe to your Patron account and YouTube as well as Apple to have access to special events, additional shows for paid customers only, and you can watch a video on Spotify if you're a Patron member. Yeah. Lastly, when enjoying the beauty of nature, whether backpacking, camping, or simply taking a walk, always remember to leave no trace. Thanks and we will see you all next time.