Speaker 1: On Sports Talk seven nine day. Now, here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: In roughly four hours from now, I will I'll be in front of my TV standing, probably with a bush light in hand, and I'll be maybe probably not at not at nine o'clock. The game will just be starting, but throughout the game I may potentially have a heart attack, because that's that's what happens whenever. You know, I watch Louisville basketball now and it's it's not good for my health, and it does kind of remind me like, man, you shouldn't be this wired up, but when you care about it's so much. And I'm talking about Louisville basketball and know a lot of you guys listening and gals listening are the same way. And then you didn't have it. You were lifeless for so long because of you know, the previous regime and how the one before that ended. Like it kind of feels nice to be alive again. But I've also kind of found myself, you know, like thinking, man, I shouldn't I shouldn't be this way. Maybe whenever it's the new norm that you're going to be in big games like tonight and it becomes more routine, I'll get a little bit more I guess conditioned for it, but man, the battle for Atlantis was a ride. The Indiana game was awesome just because you beat them so badly and you saw this team really I think, at their ceiling, and that was great. And the next day it's a little bit of a different game. You go to overtime. It's a nail biter, and everybody was probably you know, stressed and losing their mind on Thanksgiving, at least I was. Maybe I'm just assuming others were doing it to make myself not feel as bad about my behavior during these games. But I was at Churchill Downs with the family, and you know, my son is picking out his horse and you know, having a family day, and I had to run to the corner and just get out my phone and watch the end of the game because I couldn't. I couldn't. I mean I kind of blocked out almost like not knowing what was going on. Like I would hit pause on YouTube TV and then if there would be a big play where I'm like, all right, man, these are huge, this is a huge possession, I gotta hit pause because I don't know right now if my heart can handle like what's about to happen like I may have a heart attack. Let me take a deep breath, let me let me get another drink or something like that. Is the benefit of watching these games at times on your devices, your phone, your tablet or whatever. And if you have you know, and I think really any service. I would say now when it comes to how you watch live sports, you can hit pause. I find myself hitting pause because I'm just like, oh God, I can't take it. Let me take a deep breath. I don't know what's about to happen, but I know it's either going to be a really big moment that helps you win, or it's gonna be the moment you realize you're gonna lose. And I just need to be mentally prepared. And yes, I know I sound like a lunatic, but it's it's just the truth. So it was nice to feel alive again. And tonight Louisville's got another chance to get a win, and if it's close, I'm probably gonna be a madman. And I wouldn't I wouldn't have it any other way. All Right, Coffee and Company Hour number three here on Sports Talk seven ninety we are fueled by Thornton's make sure you sign up to become a member of the Refreshing Awards program. If you haven't already, my name is Nick Coffee. I hope you knew that. If not, now you do. Austin Montgomery was on the side today taking you up until six o'clock. So before I get into the to the to the tough news that we got earlier today in regards to well yesterday's case and prior today, it's Korin Johnson. So we'll talk a little bit about sort of my view on how Louisville can try to salvage this situation, you know, best case scenario. I mean I found myself feeling in a feeling like I'm in a rare spot being the guy who you know is seeing it glass half full, being the optimist, because I was surprised and kind of irritated. I mean, los people can have their own opinion. I'm sure I've got opinions every day that you guys are irritated by or don't agree with. So I just was surprised more than anything to see so many Louisville fans acting as if the loss of Cason and korn Johnson means that like Louislle's going to be terrible this year, and nobody really said that directly, But I mean, I still think we've got some good pieces to work with to where you could find yourself in the NSAA tournament. And I think because maybe we haven't been a part of the NSTUAA tournament in so long and we don't we haven't even really needed to tune in for selection Sunday in about what four years, Maybe that has led people to forget that they put sixty eight teams in, so it's not crazy to think they could find their way to the tournament. I didn't say they were going to go to the final four without Cason Pryor and Koran Johnson. Clearly their ceiling is not as high without these guys, But I still think that there's enough here that you could end up having a good enough year to find yourself in the tournament. But I can understand why some disagree. But they're still favorites in this game, by the way, which I know that doesn't mean they're gonna win, and we shouldn't look at spreads as the sign of okay. Well, actually no, I think we do. Like I don't know about you, but sometimes I guess it, like tonight, I'm a little surprised they're favored, especially after the news about case in prior yesterday. Not as much about Korn because Korn hasn't played since the Tennessee game. Like you played your best basketball when he wasn't playing, And I don't mean you got better because he was gone, but like the good that you saw from Louisville, he wasn't a factor in because he was already hurt. So whenever you are favored in a game, I think and you lose, Like sometimes like you're not surprised at the end at the end of the day, because you were actually surprised you were favored, Like people weaponize that against their team, like how could we lose? We were favored? But then you know, whenever I don't know, I find myself at times overvaluing what I see on a sports book app as far as all right, well, that's what should happen, because you know, believe it or not, they're wrong a lot. You know, they're not wrong enough to where it's not a very profitable business to run a sports book, but you know, at the same point in time, you know, like they clearly get it wrong. I mean, Louisille was favored against Tennessee. Think about that, and it didn't work out. So anyways, real quick though, I wanted to mention this right around five o'clock. You know, if you've got a radio show, you've got a platform. And I'm very appreciative of having this platform that I have each and every day to do this whatever you want to call it, I enjoy it. I have a lot of fun. So you know, I'm going to use this platform here to wish my mother happy birthday. Today is my mom's birthday, So happy birthday.
Speaker 3: Happy birthday, Mama. Coffee.
Speaker 2: She's not a coffee she was no, okay, I'm sorry. She's she's remarried, she's she's a Donahue. But yes, my mother, Patricia Andnette Donahue, is today's her birthday. So happy birthday mom. I don't know if she's listening.
Speaker 3: But wow, my mom's name is Patricia too.
Speaker 2: Nice you that. I bet she's a good mom.
Speaker 3: Now she's a great mom. And happy birthday, Patricia.
Speaker 2: You're you're tasked with being I mean, she's Patty too to a lot of people. But yeah, I did full legal there. Uh, her full legal name well government, yeah, for everybody to know her name. But happy birthday to my mother. I love you and you are you are the best. So I hope that you're having a good day and I look forward to celebrating your birthday with you tomorrow when we go to dinner. So right, happy birthday, Mom.
Speaker 3: Where were we going to dinner?
Speaker 2: Do you know?
Speaker 3: Or surprise?
Speaker 2: I don't know for sure. It's one of those things where like I'm just going to show up because you know, it's her, she gets to pick. It's her day, and h and and and we'll we'll make it work, all right. So just a quick update here on this on this Old Miss team. We did talk with Cel Brown earlier in regards to this matchup, and if there's one word to describe and it's cliche, but it's true. If there's one word to describe Chris Beard and his style as a coach and the teams that he's had, rather it be at Texas Tech Texas briefly or where he's at now Will Miss. They're tough, They're physical, and that's the first thing you know you're going to be challenged with when you play a Chris Beard coach team, can you match their toughness? And he has won a lot of basketball games with teams that don't have the edge and talent, but they're just tough as nails. I mean, I remember one of Louisville's best teams, a team that I think still could have made a deep run had we had a tournament that year. But if you remember, they played in the I think it might have been the Jimmy V Classic or the inning of his Jimmy V Classic up in New York. And Chris Beard was still at Texas Tech at the time. And that team, I mean, they had some guys back that had made a deep run. I think they went all the way to the championship game the year before that, So I don't want to say that they didn't have any talent. But you know, Chris Beard, he wins. I mean, and obviously, let's be real, he wouldn't be at Old Miss if it wasn't for what happened with him at Texas. So you're going to be challenged in a major way tonight when it comes to just the physicality that Old Miss is going to bring. And you know they've got They've got a lot of transfers, like most teams in college basketball do these days. And you know one of the guys that has really kind of settled in nicely in the two years, well, I guess a year and some change into the tenure here for Chris Beard at Old Miss is a former Saint Peter's transfer. And I don't remember this guy doing a whole lot for the Saint Peter's team that knocked off Kentucky. But if I did see this young man and I knew that he did have a role in that, I would shake his hand and tell him thank you. I don't you know, I don't want him to win tonight, but he's probably been I would say. And I don't even know how many guys are back from Ole Miss's team last year, but Jalen Murray, he's averaging fourteen and a half points a game. He's their leading scorer. He played at Saint Peter's for looks like two years and then ended up. Yeah he was a freshman. Yeah, he was a freshman on the on the team that knocked off Kentucky in the tournament. And then he's been at Ole Miss the last couple of years, averaged about fourteen a game, last year and he's averaging right around that this year. So he's the guy who leads him in scoring. But they're really really balanced. Matthew Murrell another guy averaging right around fourteen points fifteen points a game, and you know, he's been there at Ole Miss for five years. I think he initially played for who was the coach that was at Middle Tennessee State that took the Old Miss job that ended up Kermit Davis. He was a Kerma Davis guy, and he's stuck around and he's been there for a while and he's been productive for every year he's been in college. Another guard that you should be familiar with, Sean Padula. He is the sharpshooter who transferred in from virgin He's averaging about thirteen points a game. Jamien Breakfield a guy who I remember was very close to committing to Luke Murray and Chris Mack when he was in high school, only to then be offered at the last minute by Duke. Ended up at Duke, didn't play a lot, transferred to I think he transferred to Ole Miss right after leaving Duke and he's been there ever since. Fifth year guy averaging about eleven points and six boards. And then drey Davis, a former Louisville cardinal who played here for a couple of years before moving on to Seaton Hall, had a really good two year stretch there at Seaton Hall, and then is finishing his last year of eligibility here at Ole Miss and he's averaging eleven points a game as well. So they've got five guys that are averaging double figures, that are very balanced. They don't shoot it that well as far as you know, as far as you know an overall team, but obviously Shampadula is a guy who is is is out there for one reason, and that's the knockdown three point shots. So you know you're gonna have to to to bring the physicality. And I feel like this is a game that you're not gonna get a lot of really good looks from three because I think Chris Beard's teams are typically pretty good at taking that away. They're gonna slow it down, They're gonna want to just play in the half court and beat you up. So Chucky Hepburn's gonna have to I mean, he's got to do this against everybody this year that you play. That is that is this caliber of an opponent. He's gonna have to initiate offense. He's gonna have to score, get to the free throw line, and create for others. And you know that's a given when you play good teams. But I think this is one of those nights where you need the good shooting Louisville team. You know, late in the game they missed some threes against Indiana that made it to where that ended up being a thirty seven percent night for Louisville as far as threes, But I think you're gonna need to you know, it's gonna be one of those games where if I see them missing a lot of decent to good looks, then I'm gonna worry about. Okay, like you're gonna if you're gonna, like, if you're going to beat a team like Ole Miss, you're gonna need to make those shots. And look, that's a given, right you want to win basketball games, you gotta make shots, you gotta score points. But I feel like the battle here to night between these two teams is going to be who can more effectively control tempo and style. I don't think Chris Beard's the kind of coach that really is out there trying to have as many possessions as possible. You know what, Pat Kelsey's the opposite. He wants as many possessions as possible. He wants the game to be sped up, not because he thinks he's going to go beat you in a track meet. I think he likes his team and their ability to play in transition. But I also think they The Indiana game is the best evidence you need as to what can happen when you get a team sped up and they're out of their comfort zone. Indiana was turning it over like crazy, missing layups left and right because they just weren't comfortable. And Louisville thrives at that pace and that's when they're at their best. So it's going to be a fight to see who can get it at their pace and their style. And to be honest, Louisville was not able to do that against the two teams they played after beating Indiana, and it was nice to see against West Virginia they found some rhythm offensively in the half court. Chucky kind of took over did his thing prior obviously was a big factor in that game too, And then against Oklahoma they just kept battling, but in the half court you could tell one team was much more suited for the game to be played at that pace, and it was Oklahoma and they were able to pull it out. So look, losing Case and Pryor and losing Coran Johnson for the year, no doubt it changes how everybody views expectations for the season. I totally totally understand that. But I still think this team can make the tournament. I mean, maybe they get blown out tonight and I have to realize how foolish it was to think that. But I mean, I'm just telling you what I believe, and I don't know. I like Chucky. Hepburn is the best player on this team, and what he did and who he did it against tells me that, Like, you know, if he's eighty percent of what he was in a couple of those games in the Bahamas, really just overall experience for him in the Bahamas, I mean, i'd say that's like that's the most important thing for Louisville. And he's gonna have bad nights probably, and that'll probably not be good for Louisvill when they play good teams because there's no Corn Johnson. The rest of the season. But I don't know, it's a weird feeling. It's a weird feeling to know that I'm seeming a little bit more optimistic about this team in this season moving forward than than. You know, I'm not the majority, but at least in some fans, I'm usually the guy everybody yells at says, why are you so negative? Gloom and doom? And I feel like it's some of you guys doing that this time around, and not as much meat.
Speaker 3: Just think we're there's where's three wins away from matching literally last season's total, and another seven from matching the last two years total, and we're just only in December.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep. And those are the kind of things that like probably needs to be set a little more than they are, not to say that, hey, we're just better than Kenny Payne. Life's gonna be grand. But no, like I I'm enjoying just being alive. That sounds that sounds all. That sounds real dramatic and like super serious for something that is not as deep as that. But like, as a fan like I, you know, Louiva could have been fully healthy against teams like this last year and I would have not got off the couch during the game with any excitement because I would just know what was gonna happen. Yeah, and you know we're not there anymore. And that's good. All right, quick break, we'll come back here. On the other side, we got to talk some college football, not only the college football playoff rankings that are going to come out tonight. Coaches are really telling on themselves and I'll tell you why. But for Jeff Brohm, I think he's positioned to really clean up once again in the portal. And there's a lot of guys within the show even that have announced their leading Louisville and I wish them well. But so far, I think the trend continues. Jeff Brohm's been able fingers crossed to this point. Keep the guys you really want to keep around, and the guys that you know want to move on. You wish him well, and you go get somebody that can probably help you. That's better. All right, don't go anywhere, keep it locked right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Coffee and Company with Nick Coffee on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: So the only team favored tonight in the acc SEC Challenge By the way, this is just Night one. There'll be more games tomorrow, and there might even be some on Wednesday too, or I guess Thursday. I don't know. I mean, maybe it's just a two day event. Either way, tonight is Night one, and Louisville's the only team that is in fact favored in their matchup Kentucky currently according to FanDuel is. Let me refresh here again, if there's a way to filter out, Yeah, here we go. Kentucky is now favored by one and a half. That's what it was when we started the show today, but I think it was closer to three or four when it opened. So maybe Clemson ends up being a challenge for Kentucky and maybe they end up maybe they end up beating them. They are at home, and they did go to the late eight, the Elite eight last year. But I mean that this is not the same team, and I mean, I don't think Clemson's very good. But I also I would say the reason why I feel it's much more likely that Kentucky will win and cover is or so because I think Kentucky's really good, not as much that I think Clemson stinks. But I'm also not gonna lie to you and tell you that I think Clemson's any good because I mean, I guess they don't have the type of loss I was thinking that they had. They did lose to to Boise State, which I don't think that's a great loss this year. But you know, what, do I know? I don't follow the Mountain West as close as others, But yeah, right now you've got this Clemson team with wins against a bunch of you know, the teams you typically play more often than not in November and December. But they did be Penn State, which Penn State that was their first loss of the season, so I guess that is somewhat of a not a huge win. But maybe Clemson's better than I realized, because I the more I look at the spread, the more I'm just thinking I'm wrong about Clemson being really down. But I still believe what I believe. I did watch that Boise State game and I did lose that bet, so that maybe that's why I'm just sour on this Clemson team. But Brad Wenwell has been at Clemson a long time, and he did break through last year and get to the Elite eight. But I mean, I just I don't think that they're anything close to what they were a year ago. And honestly, I think they last year were a fine team that you know, just finally broke through and won some tournament games. Again, to go back to what we talked about earlier, the tournament is really all that matters, ultimately what matters when it comes to college basketball, and that's what makes college basketball unique. But it doesn't really tell the whole story. So like Clemson last year made the Elite Eight. That's a big deal. You can't take that away from him. That is huge, that has value, But I don't think that Clemson was close to being one of the best eight teams in the country. So, you know, I just think this is I mean, I I don't want to do it, but I may have to just hammer Kentucky money line because I just feel like this is insane to see them at minus one and a half. I guess not only I was gonna, I would take a minus one and a half, not money line. I mean. And by the way, real quick, before we talk football, Austin, if you are betting a team that is favored or I guess a dog by a point than I have for two points in basketball, Like, if I'm taking you to cover as a dog and it's only like two three points, I typically just take money line, and sometimes I've had some bad beats with it, but I'll accept that. Like I'll just think, like, hey, if you're right there and you end up losing by two instead of winning, like it's to me. I don't know, I just I find it more enjoyable to watch a game knowing, hey, I just need them to win, yeah, and not worry about free throws late.
Speaker 3: Now, sometimes it can burn you, but that hook always gets you, dude. Yeah, so it might as well. Might as well just go ahead and just up that value a little bit and just go ahead take the money line that way you're knowing just if you're especially if it's like you said, if it's at like one or two, if you're already kind of cheering for them to keep it that close anyways, might as well just cheer for them to win.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, if you are a Clemson better tonight, you've got Clemson plus one and a half, you could get that at minus one fourteen, or you could take a money line at minus one oh five. Yeah, And I mean again, you may if they ended up losing by one. You would you would lose, and that would be what some a bad beat. But I think a bad beat is just like if I know going in that's something that could potentially happen, and I'm still willing to do it, then I can still claim my law. I mean, I still lost and it's still my fault. But like, I don't look at that as a bad beat. That's just, you know, a calculated decision that you make and it sometimes doesn't work out all right. So the Louisville football roster is like most rosters in the country. Next year probably gonna be a lot different, and I've tried my best to keep up with every player that has announced what they're going to be doing. The big news in the good news is the Colin Lacey's coming back, and that's huge. We talked about that earlier in the show. He is returning for his final season after deciding to opt out this year in red shirt, and it worked out. It paid off. It was a good decision for both sides here, and it still clearly bothers some people. We had some people texting in earlier mentioning that they still have a sour taste in their mouth after him deciding to kind of quit on the team. And I can't tell you that you're wrong, because that is kind of what he did. But it's just, you know, it's the new world we're in and you don't have to like it. But I think if you at least for a second, consider what this is for these young men. This is a job to them.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: This is a chance for them to take advantage of their ability. Right. The fact that you can play high level college football means you can also make money to do it, and it's money that you probably won't be able to make right out of college unless you're going to the NFL. Like Colin Lacy's one of those guys that and he may be an NFL player. I think he's really talented, so but let's just say he's a guy that doesn't fit in the NFL. Well, he'll make more money probably in one final year of playing college football than he will in his first couple of years at an entry level job out of college. I don't know what he's going to do after Kyle, I don't know what his career path would be. Again, he wants to play in the NFL and maybe he does that, but even if he's on the practice squad, I mean, think about yourself as an employeee at your job. You're gonna do everything you can to put yourself in a position that benefits you and your family, not your employer. I mean, you work for your employer, and you know you rely on them to give you a paycheck, but you also are looking out for yourself, which is why at times you'll leave your job to go to another one if it's gonna be a better job where you're gonna make more money. And it's still so different than what we're used to in college sports that people still yet people are still are still having a tough time. I think realizing that this is now a job to these guys, and they're gonna treat this job the way you treat your job. It's cool until I can go somewhere else and make more money and do what's best for me so that you don't have to like it. And if you're still bothered by it and it just feels gross, then like I get it. But this is not changing. And Colin Lacey, I'm happy that he got a lot of support from the staff, you know, and from I understand. There were some pretty tough conversations because I think Jeff understood it, but he didn't. He didn't like it, but he also was willing to adapt and willing to understand that there's nothing I can do about this. We're not going backwards. Any resistance here is gonna only results in a negative result potentially, So just realize it is what it is and figure out the best way you can succeed in this new world. So I think there are a lot of coaches that would have not taken Colin Lacey's decision the way Jeff Brohm did. And again, he wasn't happy, trust me, he wouldn't. He didn't like it at all, But he did enough to salvage this situation and maintained a good relationship with Colin and he decided to use Louisville or decided to state Louisville for his final year, and that's huge. So I know there are other coaches that have done a pretty good job of navigating this new world of college football, really college sports, when it comes to knowing that you got to reload every year and you're gonna lose players. So instead of sulking about it, just go out there and try to find somebody that can help replace that player. I know he's not the only one, but he's got to be up there as far as the two years he's been at low to where he has shown he is adapting better than a lot of those coaches. And let me see here, let me just give you a quick update. So just some names that you'll probably be familiar with. There's a lot of guys that are entering the portal that have announced it today that I wouldn't be shocked if a lot of you don't know who they are because they didn't they didn't play a whole lot. But we've got let's see, let's see. Let me let me pull up the updated list here. Jalil Skinner. He is the tight end new transfer from Miami. He was a four star recruit but didn't didn't play a lot. There's a reason you probably don't know a lot about him because he didn't. He was not a guy that was prominently featured as a tight end this year. So he's hit hitting the portal and it makes sense. Jimmy Jimmy Callaway. Uh, he's a receiver that I believe. I mean, he was what you got hurt earlier this year, I think he is. But either way, at receiver, you know you've you've got some young guys that really emerged and some guy, I mean Colin Lacey's going to be back Blue Hicks is probably going to be a big factor in your offense next season. And then at running back, you lost Donald Cheney yesterday. We talked about that, and then Maurice Turner announced today that he's going to transfer, and that makes total sense. I mean, Maurice Turner a guy who's been here a long time and never really was able to kind of emerge as the is the lead ball carrier, and now he had two true freshmen come in and honestly, his injury was unfortunate for him, but it did leave it did lead to them having to rely on freshmen a little bit more than they probably wanted to at that position. And we found out that this team had some really really good running backs in Duke Watson and in Isaac Brown, some other names, Jalil McClain. He is a wide receiver who has been here for I believe a couple of years and really just could not couldn't crack the depth chart and get a lot of reps. Therefore he's deciding to transfer. Ben Perry, he's a two year starter at linebacker for Louisville, and he's a guy that you to me, I put him in the Huggins Brews situation as far as last year. He's not somebody that you're like wanting to leave. But if you really consider it, like you get why he is, because you know he's probably gonna get recruited over and or he's probably gonna have a chance to have a bigger role elsewhere, or maybe anil money could be, like he could be a bigger nil get elsewhere because Louisville's going to prioritize some other guys when it comes to NIL. So we'll keep you updated. At least I'll try to keep you update as best I can with the show. But I'm sure your best bet as far as figuring out who's leaving would be to just follow these guys on social media because these next couple of weeks, it's gonna be it's gonna be crazy, it's gonna be tough to keep up with. But so far, again, I still feel like you've been able to on the Louisville side, You've been able to manage the roster to where you're losing guys that you understand why they're leaving, and you're you've been able to retain guys that you know, you know you need to come back, and you got to make like for example, Isaac Brown and Duke Watson, which, by the way, if you guys missed a Duke Watson was on some social media video I think he did. I think he would joined somebody's live on Instagram or TikTok or something, and I found sound like such a grandpa talking about modern age social media that I just don't, you know, I know what it is, but I'm certainly not tuning in to see nineteen year old kids going live from their dorm room. And I'm not even sure if that's what he was doing, but that is where this news surface from. He was on a video telling Louisville fans to basically calm down and chill out and leave them alone because he's not going anywhere, which is great, that's what you want to hear. Isaac Brown hasn't done that, And I don't think that these guys are They don't owe anybody any kind of like statement on their situation. Are they leaving or are they staying, because there's really no reason to just assume they're going to leave. But like, again, this is a new world. I don't know if we're going to require these players to let us know that they're comfortable and they're not going anywhere. But when you have really good players and you know that at any moment they could leave, and you know that they're probably going to be influenced to leave by others, right, tampering's going on. We know that. So it's like, I don't think Isaac Brown owes us anything, but man, it would be really nice if he did come out and say something like, hey, everybody, chill, I'm not going anywhere. And by the way, with those guys, when you're coming in as a true freshman out out of high school, you're getting in ale money. But the really big payday n NIL for college players is coming after they've proven what they can do as college players other than a quarterback. If you're a really good quarterback, you can go get a crazy amount of money like that kid just did who flipped from Lshue to Michigan. So I'm sure those guys had some inn iil money to get them here, meaning Duke Watson and Isaac Brown. But now they they're gonna need a lot more and they're gonna have to get it or they're probably gonna look to leave. And I would too if I was them, because they've proven that they're really good and they're gonna have a lot of options. There's gonna be a lot of high bidders if they hit the portal. There's probably already high bidders right now when they're not in the portal, because again we know tampering happens, So it'll be a you know, probably a daily or an every other day kind of check in here on this show as far as where we just kind of do a reset and say, okay, where are we, Who have we lost? Who's who? Who do we think might leave? Who is so important to stay? That kind of stuff. Who they were going after in the portal, Like, for example, the quarterback who lit Louisville up last year, Miller Moss from USC, he is in the portal and apparently Louisville was one of four schools that he's looking at and is going to try to visit. And he was a really I mean, he was in he was since he was sensational against Louisville last year, and this year he got off to a decent start, but then he got benched, and I don't really I mean, his numbers weren't great. Like Jeff Brohm trusts him and he thinks he's good enough, then that's good enough for me. I trust Jeff when it comes to that. But I do think some Louisville fans are just looking at how he carved up that Louisville defense last year and not realizing that USC was very underwhelming this year and he got benched at quarterback and oh, by the way, he played for one of the best offensive mines in the country in Lincoln Riley and could not succeed. So I don't know. I mean, I trust Jeff, but I would I would. I would hope that he's looking at other options as well. But again, he knows more than I do. And there were a lot of people that were kind of action their head about Tyler Shuck when there were a lot of other big names out there like Dju and Uh. I mean, there were a lot of quarterbacks that ended up getting a lot of money to transfer, and there was a lot of hype surrounding them. And they were just whatever. I mean, they weren't really special in any way. And I don't know if you would say Tyler Shuck was special, but I would say that was a pretty good investment. I don't even know what they paid, but I know it wasn't close to what other quarterbacks were getting elsewhere. All Right, So the college football playoff rankings come out tonight, the updated ones, before we get to the conference championships this weekend. And I just wanted to reference this really quickly here because when it comes to coaches that are out there lobbying to get in, trying to make their case, I'm not surprised at all, and I get it, like I would probably do the same thing, but it's just become so annoying. And let me tell you this. The second someone says a coach, by the way, says, you can't tell me, like you can't tell tell me we're not one of the twelve best teams in the country. You can't tell me that this league is not the best league in the country. You can't tell me. By saying you can't tell me, you're admitting that you don't have the results needed. You're admitting that they need to just rely on benefit of the doubt and not real results. You can't tell me that the SEC doesn't deserve four teams, and you can't tell me that we're not one of the best teams in the country despite having three losses. That's what Shane Biemer in South Carolina said, And again I don't blame him, but that you can't tell me is such a tell that you actually don't have the credentials that that are needed. And I know you can be twelve and three or nine and three in the SEC, and it's probably not the same as an eleven and one Indiana and the Big ten, but at the end of the day, results matter, and you didn't get the results needed. You left open an opportunity for people to doubt if you are truly good enough to be there and you didn't win enough. So I mean, like, for example, Florida State, You're like, Florida State probably would have been gosh of the five teams before the season started. That ever, if you if you had to pick five teams that you felt totally confident we're gonna be in the twelve team playoff, Florida State would have been mentioned, I think by everybody yeah, because everybody, everybody would have said they were going to run the ACC again, Right, you can't tell me Florida State's not going to be in the playoff. Florida State was one of the worst teams in the country this year. So if we go off of well, you can't tell me. You got to just you know, assume why even play games, why even have a season, Like results have to matter. And I'm not saying that that means that, you know, Indiana being eleven and one that they're they're automatically good enough to be there, but like it is what it is, like, you know, in Indiana getting there and losing in the first game, if that was to happen, wouldn't mean that you belonged South Carolina. It wouldn't. And I just I don't think it's ever gonna change because the SEC lives in its own world, and yes, they are the best league. I don't think many would really argue that, but they just assume that they're like and it's so evident, like Georgia should have lost to Georgia Tech, like that was not an impressive showing from Georgia at all. But you know, man, the SEC, what are you gonna do. No, you didn't actually know. You didn't play an SEC steam you played an ACC team. I mean, this is, this is and I'm gonna try to make sure I get this correct because this is not somebody that I rarely referenced. This person on the show. I think it might be Mark Packer. Yeah, Mark Packer, who is on He's part of the ACC Network coverage. I thought he did a phenomenal job here at really just putting, I mean, just just highlighting the hypocrisy and the inconsistency from those on the SEC, including Paul Finbaum.
Speaker 4: I've already seen narrative. In fact, I'm gonna go off on something right now. Yesterday, I'm sitting upstairs. I'm always working on the day aheads, I'm already working on tomorrow's show. But yesterday, I'm working on Monday show and I go to ESPN dot comicch I always do, and the first thing I see is Paul finebaumb ragging the University of Miami, saying they're frauds. Now again, everybody's in town of their opinion.
Speaker 3: Let me just say something.
Speaker 4: I did not hear the same vitriol a week earlier from the same talking heads when Alabama, as a two touchdown favorite, went out to play very average Oklahoma and got destroyed. Didn't hear that, But I heard it with Miami losing to a nine to three team on the road who should be ranked. I did hear that, which is ridiculous. No, nothing about being a fraud. This is not Lane Kiffin, after being out coached and losing at the Swamp, running his mouth saying about, well if somebody from the ACC is the Big twelve of the play right, Well, there was a team from the ACC, Lane that actually played the team that you just lost to. Their name is, let me get was Miami. They went to the Swamp, they destroyed Florida.
Speaker 3: In fact, it was.
Speaker 4: Such an ugly game most of America turned it off in the third quarter because they were up by four touchdowns.
Speaker 2: So I keep.
Speaker 4: Hearing the narrative, especially about Miami. Forget about SMU. They're a college football playoff team.
Speaker 2: So there's more to that. But like, nobody's out here claiming that the ACC or the Big Ten or the Big twelve is superior. But there's just the narrative about the I mean, it's just like there's actually evidence that shows you that actually no, there is a data point here that would actually give real reason to doubt that you deserve the benefit of the doubt. Well, what are you gonna do. It's just a bunch of SEC teams? Is if these other teams played in our league. Well, actually, there's some teams that are in other leagues that went and played your almighty SEC teams and they beat them. Like you know, it's it's doesn't mean the SEC is not great, doesn't mean that it's not the best league. But they want to live in an alternate world to where they just get a benefit of the doubt that isn't deserved. And again there's evidence that shows they're not worthy of it. All right, quick, bick, we'll come back on the other side and wrap it up.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Coffee and Company with Nick Coffee on Sports Talk seven nine.
Speaker 2: Dy. We have very little time left here before we wrap it up and get out of here, but big thanks to all of you who tuned in today. I hope you enjoyed yourself. If not, I would say that's maybe a you problem, and you should just come back tomorrow and try again.
Speaker 3: It's definitely a you problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so too. But you know we can work on it. We'll work together to where you just you know, you become a loyal listener and a big fan of the show. And again, if it doesn't work out, it's more you than it is us, I choose to believe. But we'll have the podcast up for those that missed anything on today's show. And again a late night tonight, nine o'clock tip my man go into the game tonight like you go.
Speaker 3: Are you bringing the energy? I'm absolutely bringing it back to the young It's been a while. Like I was telling you, last time I went there was when we blew like a twenty twenty five point lead to the Duke and Zion Williamson twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: I think it's a couple of different ways to look at that. Either this is a bad sign for tonight or or we've had really bad stretches of basketball, Like maybe you not being there for so long has led to us kind of falling a little bit.
Speaker 3: I'm one in three in attending Louisville basketball games again, not making me feel great, But you know, we brought that up.
Speaker 2: We're gonna, We're gonna, We're gonna get that streak or get that record looking a little better after tonight. I hope they can pull it out. But it'll be a tough game, no doubt. But enjoy yourself, be safe, Thank you, sure loud, bring the vibes, and hopefully when we're back here tomorrow, we're talking about a big Louisville win, right.
Speaker 3: Sure thing, Oh we will. I'll put me in at the four.
Speaker 2: I'd love to see it. That'd be good stuff. All right, we're out here. Take care of everybody, Have a good night. Talk tomorrow