Speaker 1: Welcome to the deep dive. You know, trying to keep up with cybersecurity and forensics. It can feel like information overload sometimes it just moves.
Speaker 2: So fast, it really does. And we've got this great collection of sources mostly based around the book Advanced Smart Computing Technologies and Cybersecurity and.
Speaker 1: Forensics, right, and it dives into how tech like AI, IoT, blockchain, machine learning, how they're not just for defense but really changing how investigations happen exactly.
Speaker 2: It's about securing data and investigating digital crime in totally new ways.
Speaker 1: So our mission here and we're sticking just to what these sources say, is to pull out the really key insights, the surprising stuff too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, kind of cut through the noise for you. Well, hit several different areas, but you'll see how they all connect.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Like have you ever really thought about how much your phone knows and how that could be evidence? Or how a tiny hardware glitch might completely wreck strong encryption.
Speaker 2: We'll get into all of that based purely on this material.
Speaker 1: Okay, so where should we start? AI seems like the obvious place.
Speaker 2: It's everywhere, definitely, Let's start with AI, specifically machine learning mL and deep learning.
Speaker 1: DL Okay, the sources jump right in calling mL and DL well revolutionary for information security.
Speaker 2: They really frame it that way. I mean, think about the sheer volume of security logs, network traffic. It's immense. These technologies are brilliant at spotting patterns and all.
Speaker 1: That patterns like what specifically.
Speaker 2: Things like identifying commands used by cyber criminals, predicting potential attacks, or even flagging malicious programs just by looking at the structure of the code itself.
Speaker 1: That pattern recognition does seem crucial, especially with threats changing constantly. The sources mentioned processing millions of daily logins filtering threats much better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, higher detection rates and fewer false alarms, fewer false positives. That's a big deal.
Speaker 1: Saves a lot of time and effort, I.
Speaker 2: Imagine absolutely, And there are concrete examples, like using it to spot malware signatures or finding crime patterns hidden in huge data sets.
Speaker 1: The sources mentioned some of the specific tech names too, like convolutional neural networks RNNs gns.
Speaker 2: Yeah, convents where current neural networks generative adversarial networks. We don't need to deep dive on how they work, but just knowing the terms helps you know.
Speaker 1: Right, it gives you a sense of the complexity.
Speaker 2: But here's where it gets really, really interesting and maybe a bit unsettling. Even these super powerful DL models, the ones built for security, they could be attacked too.
Speaker 1: Wait, you can attack the AI model itself, not just the system it's protecting. How does that even work?
Speaker 2: Well, the sources lay out a few ways. One is called data poisoning. Basically, you sneak bad data into the training set.
Speaker 1: To bad data like fake information.
Speaker 2: Exactly inaccurate stuff, so the model learns the wrong lessons or its decision lines get shifted, making it misclassify things later.
Speaker 1: Huh, So you're corrupting it from the inside during training precisely.
Speaker 2: Then there are backdoor attacks. This is clever. An attacker in beds a kind of hidden trigger into the model. A trigger, yeah, like a secret pattern or connection. The model works normally most of the time, but if the attacker sends an input with that specific trigger, boom, the model does something malicious.
Speaker 1: Wow, like a sleeper agent inside the AI. That's kind of scary, it is.
Speaker 2: And the third one is adversarial examples. The source calls them visual illusions. For computers.
Speaker 1: Visual illusion think of.
Speaker 2: An image or some input that looks perfectly fine to us humans, but it has tiny, almost invisible changes deliberately crafted to fool the algorithm.
Speaker 1: So you slightly tweak something and the AI suddenly thinks a stop sign is a I don't know a cat.
Speaker 2: Sort of yeah, it causes the AI to make a mistake of misclassification, even though the change is minuscule to us.
Speaker 1: So the tools we build for defense create their own unique, subtle weak spots. That feels like a constant theme here.
Speaker 2: It absolutely is. Yeah, you can't just build the AI. You have to constantly think about securing the AI itself.
Speaker 1: It's arms, and it's not just these abstract models, right, It's about securing the actual devices we use every day, our phones, the systems they connect to.
Speaker 2: Exactly, which brings us nicely to well, the devices in our pockets. Mobile forensics.
Speaker 1: Ah yeah. Chapter four calls phones treasure troves of evidence, and it makes perfect sense. Smartphones log everything, apps, web history, purchases where you've been.
Speaker 2: So much more than old feature phones. The sources listed out, contacts, messages, call logs, web history, social media activity. It's an incredibly detailed digital diary.
Speaker 1: And the AI the MLDL stuff we just talked about that comes back here in the forensics part.
Speaker 2: Right, analyzing all that mobile data, you can use mL to trace crime patterns, maybe figure out someone's sentiment from their texts, or analyze images found on the device.
Speaker 1: There's that example with the word clouds from group chats, visualizing common keywords. Could be drugs, could be anything illicit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a neat way to quickly spot potential leads in huge volumes of text messages.
Speaker 1: And there's case study about the fraudster using hacked email details shows how critical these digital trails on phones and email really are.
Speaker 2: Definitely, but phones don't live in isolation anymore, so much happens in the cloud, right.
Speaker 1: Mobile cloud computing MCC, where the storage and the heavy processing happens off the device.
Speaker 2: YEP. Chapter twelve explains it just like that, your phone becomes more of an interface to cloud services.
Speaker 1: But that creates its own set of problems, doesn't it. The source mentions MCC environments are really distributed, always changing.
Speaker 2: Exactly, so a simple centralized security design just doesn't work well. You need something scalable, adaptable.
Speaker 1: And other challenges pop up too, like a battery life on the phone, keeping data secure and private when it's bouncing around, keeping users happy with performance.
Speaker 2: It's a long list. Quality of service is a big one, yea. The source talks about using dynamic device info, mobile agents, things like that to try and tighten up access control and keep data confidential.
Speaker 1: Okay, so from the single phone we move up. Let's scale up even more smart cities.
Speaker 2: Right. Chapter seven defines a smart city as more than just connected. It's about using technology ICT for better administration, managing resources. Safety like those intelligent traffic lights that adapt to traffic.
Speaker 1: Flow and sensors are key here, right. IoT devices everywhere collecting data absolutely fundamental.
Speaker 2: Now that's the huge security challenge securing this massive network of often quite simple, low power IoT devices. How do you stop malware spreading? How do you protect all the data they generate.
Speaker 1: Especially when those devices might not have much processing power for complex security themselves.
Speaker 2: Precisely so, privacy protection often needs to happen efficiently, maybe closer to the device or user you need, things like data minimization, only collect what you need, and really tight access controls.
Speaker 1: The source also mentions that trend away from passwords towards biometrics like facial recognition, which has its own security implications of course for sure.
Speaker 2: And even within the smart city infrastructure, the cloud systems they rely on have vulnerabilities, misconfigurations, weak access management. These are common problems.
Speaker 1: Mentioned, and it connects back to recent events too, like the pandemic pushing faster digital transformation and cloud use forcing a rethink of security policies.
Speaker 2: It's all interconnected, the device, the network, the cloud, the city infrastructure.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've gone from the phone to the city. What about digging right down into the computer itself, like the absolute core.
Speaker 2: Ah, you mean the kernel. Chapter five calls it the heart of the operating system. It's that crucial piece of software connecting the hardware and all the other software always running the.
Speaker 1: Bit we don't directly interact with. We just see the logs. And they're different types, right, micro monolithic.
Speaker 2: YEP, micro monolithic, XO, hybrid nanokernels are mentioned, different design philosophies.
Speaker 1: So how do you assess risk down at that level? If there's a vulnerability in the kernel that seems really bad, it can be very serious.
Speaker 2: That's where the sources bring in the Common Vulnerability Scoring System CBSS.
Speaker 1: CBSS. Okay, what's that? Do just give it a score out of ten.
Speaker 2: It's a bit more nuanced than that, but yeah, it provides a standardized score. It helps prioritize. It looks at things called base metrics, characteristics of the vulnerability itself, like.
Speaker 1: How easy it is to exploit exactly.
Speaker 2: Like the attack vector. Does the attacker need to be local or can they do it remotely? Attack complexity, how hard is it? Privileges require? Do they need admin rights already? User interaction? Does the user need to click something? Scope? Does exploiting this affect other parts of the system?
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense? And then there's the impact.
Speaker 2: Right, the impact metrics? Yeah, what gets damaged if it is exploited? Confidentiality? Is secret data exposed? Integrity? Can data be changed? Availability? Does a crash the system?
Speaker 1: So CBSS weighs all those factors to give a score. Helps defenders figure out what to.
Speaker 2: Patch first, precisely and guess what comes up again? Here?
Speaker 1: Let me guess? Machine learning?
Speaker 2: You got it. Chapter five mentions using mL, specifically an algorithm called random forest to analyze kernel vulnerabilities. They can even build a model to predict the potential score or risk.
Speaker 1: Wow, using AI to analyze the core OS code for weaknesses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they talk about tuning the algorithm, adjusting parameters like the number of decision trees to make the prediction better. It shows how deep these computational techniques go.
Speaker 1: It really does, from AI attacking AI, to AI analyzing kernels to something completely different DNA cryptography using DNA. That sounds like.
Speaker 2: Sci fi It does, doesn't it, But it's right there in chapter three, it's fascinating. They start by explaining standard crypto first though.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, symmetric versus asymmetric.
Speaker 2: Right, Symmetric uses the same key for locking and unlocking like AES. Simple, but if that one key gets out, you're exposed.
Speaker 1: That's the man in the middle attack risk if someone intercepts the key being shared exactly.
Speaker 2: Asymmetric is different. I think RISA two keys, a public one everyone can use to encrypt messages to you, like a mailbox slot and a private one, only you have to decrypt them.
Speaker 1: Mailbox key much safer for key sharing because the private key never needs to be te transmitted. So DNA how does that fit in?
Speaker 2: Well? Chapter three mentions Leonard Adelman's work back in ninety four using actual DNA strands to solve complex math problems.
Speaker 1: Really actual biological DNA.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and DNA cryptography bills on that idea. It proposes using the structure of DNA, the ACGT bases to encode data.
Speaker 1: So instead of zeros and ones, you're using combinations of ACG and T. Maybe mapping binary to base pairs like A is zero zero, C is zero one.
Speaker 2: That's one method they described. Yes, the y is interesting too. DNA offers potentially massive data storage in a tiny space, ultra compact, the source says, and huge potential for parallel processing.
Speaker 1: Parallel processing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I imagine billions or trillions of DNA strands processing information simultaneously compared to transistors on a chip. It's a different scale.
Speaker 1: Okay, huge storage, massive parallelism sounds good.
Speaker 2: What about security, The sources argue it could be very robust, especially against things like frequency analysis.
Speaker 1: Where attackers guess key is based on how often letters appear.
Speaker 2: Right. The proposed DNA system uses compression first, like Hoffman coding, then transforms the text into these DNA sequences or binary strings. The example they use makes the final distribution of ACEGT bases almost perfectly uniform.
Speaker 1: Ah, So if all the letters appear equally often. The attacker can't learn anything from frequency. It hides the original pattern exactly.
Speaker 2: It makes guessing much harder.
Speaker 1: Now. The detail that really stuck with me from that chapter the encryption key example.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, left slightly the finic fox.
Speaker 1: The key was based on the genes of a finic fox. Volpaserta. Why a finic fox is their a reason the.
Speaker 2: Source just uses as the example key. It ties into the biological theme obviously. But yeah, the specific choice seems a bit random, but memorable.
Speaker 1: Definitely memorable. And they didn't just leave it as a theory, right They tried building something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they mentioned trying a hardware implementation using artweno, some wireless stuff sensors, even visualizing it with node red for IoT monitoring. So they were exploring if it could.
Speaker 1: Be practical from biological theory to our Dueno boards. That's quite a leap.
Speaker 2: It really covers a lot of ground.
Speaker 1: So let's maybe touch on a couple more areas where this attack defense dynamic plays out, maybe back at the hardware level.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, back to IoT devices. Chapter fourteen brings up fault analysis attacks or FA fault analysis.
Speaker 1: What's it sounds it often is.
Speaker 2: It's not about network breaches, but about messing with the device's operation. You deliberately inject faults maybe voltage glitches, clock manipulation lasers, even while it's doing cryptography.
Speaker 1: Why would you do that?
Speaker 2: Because causing calculation errors can sometimes make the device leak information about the secret keys it's using. The faulty output gives clues.
Speaker 1: And for IoT devices, especially ones out in the open, like you said, cameras or sensors, physical access might be easier, making fault injections simpler.
Speaker 2: That's a major concern raised in the source. Yes, even if they use lightweight crypto designed for low power, fa can bypass it. If you can physically mess with the device.
Speaker 1: So how do you stop that? Put everything in a tamper proof box.
Speaker 2: That helps. But the source also talks about detecting the faults electronically techniques like concurrent Error Detection ced CED. It relies on redundancy. Maybe you do the calculation twice and compare results, or use redundant hardware or special data encoding. If a fault occurs, the redundancy lets you spot the error.
Speaker 1: Ah okay, so you build in checks to see if someone's glitching the system.
Speaker 2: Basically, yes, Now let's make a really big shift from hardware faults to people. The human side of investigations.
Speaker 1: You mean interrogating suspects. That feels miles away from DNA crypto.
Speaker 2: It is, but Chapter thirteen argues it's crucial. You can have all the fancy digital forensics in the world, but if the human investigation is flawed or the evidence isn't handled right legally, it falls apart. The source calls interrogation proceed to.
Speaker 1: Disputable, highlighting how tricky it is. It mentioned stages right, initial investigators, then maybe a review panel, a disciplinary committee for insiders.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a flow chart showing a process, but the huge emphasis is on independence, following local laws, following un standards, no intimidation, no harassment, definitely, no torture or public humiliation, basic human rights.
Speaker 1: But even with rules, it sounds like there are massive challenges.
Speaker 2: Oh. Absolutely. The source list things like suspects just walking out or causing disruptions, investigators resigning because cases get bungled politically, and just finding witnesses. People are scared, they get threatened, or they just can't afford to keep showing up for court.
Speaker 1: If they're low income, really practical difficult problems.
Speaker 2: Very much so. And there's a really stark line in there too about how the death of a key suspect can just end the whole case.
Speaker 1: Boof wow, that just stops everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So the chapter ends by calling for basically better ways to conduct interrogations that are effective but still fully legal and ethical under un standards.
Speaker 1: It's a sobering room that technology is only one part of the puzzle, the human element, the legal framework.
Speaker 2: Just as critical couldn't agree more. This deep dive has really covered a lot of ground, hasn't it.
Speaker 1: It really has when you pull it all together. We've seen advanced computing as this powerful force for both attack and defense, from AI fighting AI down to kernel code and tiny IoT hardware flaws, looked.
Speaker 2: At uncovering digital lives on phones, the complexities of smart cities, and even futuristic ideas like DNA encryption, and briefly touched on quantum computing's potential role too.
Speaker 1: And then contrasted all that tech with the very human, very challenging process of actually investigating the people behind the screens.
Speaker 2: It really highlights that cybersecurity and forensics are these incredibly dynamic fields. Every advance creates new opportunities, but also new vulnerabilities. It never stands still.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and understanding all these layers, from the AI down to the hardware, the code, the legal stuff, it feels essential just to navigate the world to which is what these sources really help unpack.
Speaker 2: It definitely leaves you with a lot to think about regarding the future trajectory, It really does.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, thinking about how fast AI is moving, quantum computing on the horizon, the absolute explosion of data from smart devices, smart cities. Are we heading for a future where cyber defense is less about people looking at logs and more about AIS battling other ais at machine speed? And if so, what does that future look like for privacy, for trusting these systems, for accountability when things go wrong at that speed and scale. Well, it's a lot to chew on.