Speaker 1: If you're just joining us, you missed some audio that I just played one from Congressman Thomas Massey predicting back in November that we would be sitting at the end of December with a giant crap sandwich as a continuing resolution, and he was absolutely right. And joining me now to talk about the crap sandwich, although he may call it something different. Kurt Couchman, he is a senior fellow in Fiscal Policy for Americans for Prosperity, and he looks for innovative solutions to federal and state budget challenges. How about Congress being the problem with our federal budget problems.
Speaker 2: Kurt, Congress is absolutely the core of our federal budget problems. I'm calling the still of the cr isthmus bus or the Christmas Boss. Oh nice, but yeah, it's not. It's not the way that Congress should be legislating. You know, the appropriations bills, which fund which which are collectively a quarter of federal spending and none of the revenue. Those are supposed to be done in August with YESCR, they won't be done until at the earliest March, mid March sometime, so agencies will have half of a fiscal year to carry out their stuff with normal appropriations maybe, and there's all this extraneous stuff that I'm sure some of it is fine. Some of them might not be, but some of it's fine. That's just sort of stuck in there based on what the chairs and ranking members of the different authorizing committees. So yeah, we were probably with that being in there, But like, why isn't there an authorizing process that lets them bring this stuff to the floor as routine business and get Congress to vote on and all that. It's such a mess and Congress really doesn't need to fix the system.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, Kurt, I mean you kind of you know the answer to the question of why we can't do the bills the right way? With these omnibus bills or these giant continuous resolutions. They do stuff them full of all the crap sandwich stuff so they can slide it through on a mus pass bill. And now we've got this is my frustration. We talked yesterday about some polling that was post election polling about voters voted the way they did, and they voted the way they did because they perceived Trump to be a more effective leader and therefore would have a more effective government. But the reality is neither Republicans nor Democrats have shown any real backbone when it comes to tackling deficit spending. So what has to happen here?
Speaker 2: Oh, there's so much that has to be done. I mean, I wrote a piece back in January twenty seventeen when President Trump first took office talking about how he can help make Congress responsible again, and none of those things got fixed, unfortunately, and so there's still a lot of work that needs to be done. I'm actually pretty excited about this Elon musk devek Ramaswami Doze the Department of Government Efficiency, even though it's early governmental commission, because it's just the constant drum meat that there's all this stuff that the the federal government has no business doing, that it does wastefully, that it does inefficiently, and for that to be just hanging over the heads of everyone for the next well however long it last year and a half, at least, that will help with discipline Congress and helping them make the tough but necessary decisions. There's a lot more that needs to be done, but that I think could be a really powerful messaging framework for people to be thinking about things.
Speaker 1: Under I heard a pundit kind of poo pooing the notion of dog's effectiveness. But we're in kind of uncharted territory with Elon Musk and vivike Ramaswami and social media. We have never been able to directly vent our spleens in the fashion that we're now seeing on X and other social media platforms. And for Elon Musk and vivike Ramaswami to be heading this up and they're already dripping stuff out on the daily on X dot com, this is a whole new This is a big difference than what we've seen before. I'm kind of hopeful that that kind of pressure that you're talking about where people are going to look at their Congress people and say, what are you doing? Because now they're more informed because of DOJ. But Congress loves to protect its own power to spend, and I am not hopeful that that is going to be enough. I mean, I hope it is, but I don't know. I mean, if we continue to go like this, how much longer can we sustain this?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean people are worried about the fiscal crisis. Former Congressman Jeff Penclin had a peace in the Wall Street Journal just today talking about how, you know, we can't keep borrowing like we are, and so we're going to have to cut spending in order to you know, keep the bond markets happy. So that's absolutely true. The thing about the Doge and the broader Trump administration's focus on the wasteful spending and the spending that is not just wasteful but like actively harmful to the American people and getting all that out of people's way is that it's a big megaphone. And yes, it's truth that the Doge won't have a lot of formal power. They can come up with ideas and then promote them within the administration with Congress, but it's that extension of the bully pulpit that they'll have on task they're dogged. It could be something that will create more space for Congress to actually put in place the processes that will help them fix things in the long run. So we need to be looking at this in a whole lot of different ways. Do the tax extensions, cut spending, cut regulations fix the system? These are all things that are possible for Congress to do in the next year, year and a half.
Speaker 1: But I think the frustration is is that I gotta somebody just hit me up on Twitter and said, Kurt, where did the seer come from? Who wrote it? And I think people are starting to ask that question, where did it come from? It didn't just get birthed, you know yesterday somebody had had a say in this.
Speaker 2: It's about a dozen members of Congress and the White House, and that means that four hundred and no, oh sorry, five hundred and thirty five members minus those twelve were barely involved, if at all. I mean, that's one of the things that gets people like Thomas Matthews so upset is that they have ideas, they have perspectives, they have values, they had they represent seven hundred and fifty thousand people each of them in the House and then depending on the Senate. But they don't have a seat at the table and crafting which policies actually advance, and they don't have an opportunity to make them better or like weed out nonsense. So they're there, but they're not really able to act as legislators, and that's the fundamental problem.
Speaker 1: Why is that, I mean, is it because Speaker Johnson is too willing to do the CRS or which I'm more mad at the Republicans on this stuff than I am the Democrats, because at least the Democrats are honest about wanting the government right, Like why can't my Johnson get this done? Why can't they do twelve separate bills? Why are we still doing this again?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the centers and the system are bad. I mean the I think that the leadership has done as good of a job as it is possible with this system, but that just tells you how bad it is. Like all the committees should be managing their stuff every single year, not just the appropriate. There shouldn't even be shut downs, don't They don't. They'll only started happening because of the Jimmy Carter administration, and it creates all the wrong incentives. It encourages leadership to wait until the last minute and then jam everybody with it, Whereas if you didn't have shutdowns, you'd actually have to earn the votes for the new bills instead of forcing them on people right before a holiday deadline.
Speaker 1: And that's exactly what they're doing. So, I mean, they're obviously this bill is going to pass. I mean, there's all just a zero percent chance it's not going to pass.
Speaker 2: Correct, Oh, I guess we'll see. I've seen some reporting by Chad Pergram at Fox News that Republicans are having a hard time, you know, being sure that they're going to have the votes. So we'll see what happens. It's already a left leaning package, probably just because that's where the votes are. They had to make a bunch of concessions to Democrats because there are enough Republicans that will refuse to vote for any sort of cr appropriations bill. And then Elon Musk has been out there talking about how it's so bad. So I think it remains to be seen what will pass. It might be this large bill, or it might have to be something scaled back. But I don't think it's certain right now what will happen.
Speaker 1: From your lips to God's ears, Kurt Couchman, he is with Americans for prosperity. You are more optimistic than I am. I really, you feel more optimistic to me than I am. I am at the point now, I've been screaming about, you know, the deficit and debt spending, and how people basically say, no, it's no big deal. It is a huge deal, And I just knowing history, I'd hate to see us become the next victim of our own hubris in thinking that we can't spend ourselves into oblivion.
Speaker 2: We absolutely can send ourselves into oblivion, and I hope we don't find that out. If we do, though, we need to make sure that the least bad way of sorting that back out is possible. So, you know, I am optimistic, at least in the long run, because America is an incredible place for generating ideas, and you know, free speech is one of the greatest blessings we have. So I'm hopeful that people can get the word out and we can figure out how to fix these things and move forward. But it's going to take a lot of work, and there's a lot of risks and a lot of dangers along the way.
Speaker 1: Kurt Jasman, I appreciate your time today.