Speaker 1: Go off our show idiots.
Speaker 2: The kids are playing a trail off.
Speaker 3: The countries are screwing it up.
Speaker 1: Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, gold Play Inner Murals.
Speaker 2: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not. Who's the kid here?
Speaker 1: Who's the kid here? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Here's nick coffee?
Speaker 2: All right, let's get this thing started. Are you ready? Ready or not? Let's just stop right in.
Speaker 4: Welcome ed Coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Thanks for hanging out with us here on a wet Tuesday. I mean, we've had a variety of different substances falling from the sky. It was snow earlier this morning, and then I feel like it turned into kind of just to maybe they'll call it freezing rain, but to me, it just kind of seemed like rain. And then on my way in about fifteen minutes ago, when I was pulling in the garage here, it was it was do with something that made a noise when it hit my car. I don't know, I don't think that's considered hail. I don't maybe it's sleep. I'm not sure what it is, but it's wet and it's gross outside. But the good news is that it's not. It's not freezing quite literally, it's above freezing thirty five degrees and that's good. Again, it's gross outside, but it doesn't look like we have any real fear. At least we shouldn't have any fear, I should say, as far as it getting real real dicey. I mean, you always need to be careful, even if it's warm and it's raining and the roads are wet and you've got elevated water to where you might have to worry about hydro planing, like, you need to be careful.
Speaker 2: But what we had earlier this.
Speaker 4: Year, the beginning of the year January, I mean, I don't think I don't think this is anything like that. In fact, it looks like if we get above I mean even if it's getting cold at night, it doesn't look like it's gonna get below freezing.
Speaker 2: So that's good news. Again, everybody should still be careful.
Speaker 4: But I cannot imagine that we'll have kids out of school again tomorrow. I mean maybe we will, I don't know. I mean you never really know. Maybe they just still with the ability to just say, hey, we're gonna do school but we're gonna do it at home. Maybe that leads them to not want to risk it. I don't know, but today was one of those days where you know, we had to we had to call an audible this morning. We found out last night, I guess yesterday we found out that my daughter was going to be out of school, and then my kid's daycare, Moose's daycare, decided they were gonna close, I mean, and it was just really for nothing. I mean again, I don't get it out of the way. It's gonna it's gonna stew and I need to get it out of the way because I don't want to know. I want to have a good show. I want to have fun. I want good energy here today. But childcare centers, daycares that don't realize they become more.
Speaker 2: Needed they we we.
Speaker 4: Really need them, more than we ever need them when when kids aren't in school. And I don't know, I mean, I've said this before many times over the years. I love where my kid goes to daycare. He loves it there. He's got some of his best friends ever. I mean, he's literally grown up since he was, you know, a few months old. With a few few of his buddies that are still his best friends today, and it's awesome.
Speaker 2: He likes it. They take good care of my kid. But I'll never when you don't. We bring them to you. Okay, there's no buses.
Speaker 4: We have to worry about putting my kid on a bus and the roads being bad and somebody getting in a wreck.
Speaker 2: We bring them to you.
Speaker 4: And whenever we've got other kids that are out of school and we you know, you're needed more than ever. And the decision to follow the school system's closure makes no sense because again, you know why schools close whenever the roads are bad and it's gonna snow, because they they bring children to these places.
Speaker 2: In a bus. You don't do that.
Speaker 4: We do that, and we still have to go to work. So anyways, I just had to get that out of the way. If I didn't, it would it would it would linger. And I just I want to I want to get it out.
Speaker 2: Of the way, all right.
Speaker 4: So we got a lot to get into today. I mean a loaded night of college basketball. I mean, I think this is the time where college basketball gets the most attention, meaning I mean it gets the most attention in March madness. I guess what I meant to say was when it comes to the regular season. From here until really Selection Sunday on, this is where you start to see college basketball kind of move to the forefront a little bit. Because you're getting closer to March. Football season is officially over. The NBA, I mean, it's still going on, but man, the regular season product of the NBA is just trash. The people who I know that really like the NBA, that'll talk NBA with your NonStop, that'll just you know, they'll tell you about all the trades. They want to talk about what this team's doing this. They don't watch the games. They just they keep up with it because you know, it's active, there's drama, and I guess that's good for the NBA. But I think college basketball can benefit from it because you will see some good games. I think, I mean, I think you see good games all year. But the schedule set up nicely because just two days from Super Bowl, so I guess removed from Super Bowl Sunday, we have an insane slate of games. Tonight, you got Tennessee at Kentucky. That's number five verse number fifteen. We'll certainly talk about that match up.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 4: You've got Purdue at Michigan. That's number seven versus number twenty. You've got Florida on the road at Mississippi State that's number three versus number twenty two. So right there, you got three top twenty five matchups, three matchups that feature ranked teams, and then Auburn at Vandy. That's not big time, but hey, Auburn's the number one team in the country, and Vandy has shown they can knock off some big dogs whenever they are at home. They did it to Tennessee, they did it to Kentucky, and then Arizona.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is a West Coast game.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure how much people will care about this, but Arizona, who's done a really good job at getting it roll and once they got to Big twelve play, I was gonna say Pac twelve, I keep forgetting they're in the Big twelve. But Arizona, they've been easily one of the best teams in the Big twelve. And they're at Kansas State and Kansastate team that really struggled and has not had a good year, but they've at times, at least in the last few weeks, kind of shown they can still be dangerous. And then Indiana is at Michigan State. I mean, that's a big matchup with two big brands. But with Indiana, I mean, if you're an IU fan, are you just waiting for it to end? I mean, you know Woodson's moving on. I think fans are happy about that, right. I think they are excited to get a you know, a new start with a new leader that's not Mike Woodson. So if he wins, do you worry about maybe him deciding not to retire? Like it'd be a really crappy situation to be in as an Indiana fan, because you're always gonna want your team to win. But any real sign of success, like if they got hot and really went on a roll and somehow found themselves in the NAA Tournament, I mean, wouldn't wouldn't that lead to likely Woodson not wanting to step down? And you want him to step down. You want him to walk away because if you if you can't convince him to walk peacefully, then you're gonna have to fire him and pay him a lot of money. Some other big games tonight Yukon at Creighton, Alabama at Texas, and then George's at Texas A and M, which I only mentioned that because Texas A and M happens to be a top ten team right now. So a loaded college basketball night.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 4: I said it a week ago, maybe even two weeks ago, So I've got a.
Speaker 2: Head start on you, guys.
Speaker 4: If you're not already locked in and taking advantage of what we have here a good college basketball season, you might as well. I mean, you need to buckle up, get ready because this season will be over before you know it. And I love college basketball maybe more than I love anything outside of you know, my family and other non sports things. So if you wanted to just dive in and consume college hoops at a high rate tonight regardless of rooting interest, tonight's a good night to get it started. We're gonna talk some college basketball coming up around four thirty with Kevin Sweeney, who covers college basketball for Sports Illustrated, so I'm looking forward to catching up with him. And there's all kinds of other stuff we need to get into today before we run out of times. So if you got want to take us with you wherever you go, just know that you can. You can listen live on the iHeart Radio I listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com and we'll open up the phone lines after we get to our first break here coming up in just a few minutes. Five two, five seven, one seventy nine hundred is the number. I do want to mind you once again. We are fueled by Thornton's, so keep them in mind. I know they've got a lot of reasons you should stop in, but the food, I mean. I had one of their reb breakfast sandwiches over the weekend, and I'll stand by it. Not that I was wavering, not that I was thinking maybe my mind would change. But on Saturday morning, I had a nice sausage, egg and cheese croissant from Thornton's and it it It's just as good as it's ever been. Best breakfast sandwich you will find. But they've got other options, donuts, they've got good lunch menu items, they've got chicken wings, they've got pizza now, and we're not talking about you know, that real gross looking stuff that sits under some kind of a heat lamp. Thornton's has folks who their job, Their role within the Thornton's family is to prepare high quality, fresh food. So again, they have like actual chefs at the oh yeah, and a kitchen.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Props to the chef because they're they keep cranking out the phenomenal foods.
Speaker 2: So shout out to them. All right. I got to get this out of the way.
Speaker 4: This is one of those things that I probably probably shouldn't mention, but I but I can't help it. This is a release for me to just get it out there, put it out.
Speaker 2: Into the world and and not hold it in.
Speaker 4: I mean, I can't make up for what happened on the way here, but I gotta at least talk about it, because I need somebody to tell me what you would have done if you were me.
Speaker 2: So I get off at the at the Broadway, No, not Broadway again.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna pull up the map here because I actually had it in front of me earlier, because I knew I was going to discuss this, and I know how to get where I need to get to downtown Louisville, just about anywhere. But I'm not very good at the you know, the the exits. So I get off at I guess it's I can't think of what the up on West Broadway. I take West Broadway down to fifth Street. That's that's that, and then I just ride Fifth. I ride Fifth Street all the way down because the Fourth Street Live Garage, which is where we are Fourth Street Live, the garage entrance is actually on Fifth Street. So I am I am on, I'm right about the Brown Hotel on Broadway about to turn right on Fifth. And you know, I hate driving downtown for a variety of reasons. The nobody really like lanes don't matter. You know, people just kind of hover wherever. I mean, people will just get out of their car and abandon it in the middle of the road if they got to run in somewhere like it downtown Louisville. At times, I feel like it's just like do whatever you want and see if anybody notices. So I'm often changing lanes trying to get to where I need to get to because my issue with downtown is even when there's very little to no traffic, you really can't get anywhere quickly because the lights suck. And I get why they do it, but I think if they reset and did I'm kind of an audit on the amount of people walking around downtown, they would understand they don't need to have it set up the way they've always had it set up, which means the lights are more set up for people walking than people driving. Way more vehicles on the road in downtown Louisville than people walking. I mean, I think that's been the case for a long time. But you see the light that it is green, and you're waiting for it to go red. So you get a green light like a four way stop, well it'll go red and you wait like five seconds before you get the green And it's because they just assume people are walking, and more often than not, they're not. So anyways, I'm running a little bit behind today. I mean I got here in time, but I'm not wanting to sit behind people. I mean, you've got so anyways, long story short, I end up getting over two lanes, had my signal and it wasn't really I mean, I wasn't driving poorly, but there's a bus stop area right past. I mean it's probably like one hundred yards is ish before you turn right on Fifth Street, and it's like something out of a movie. I've never seen it happened in real life. I've never been a part of it, good or bad in real life. But it happened today, and I am guilty of doing something that I can't stop thinking about. There was somebody inching out towards the street, not to walk on the street, but they were just getting closer to the curve because I think they wanted to see if maybe the bus was coming, the tarkbus. And as they're getting closer, I had just shifted over to the far right lane to go around somebody to turn you to turn right, and obviously a lot of water on the roadways right and I hit that puddle and I saw the water go up. I saw the person to my right move. I tried to look into my rear view and I couldn't see what happened. But I hope they got out of the way, because I mean, if not, it would have been again it was terrible timing. Timing is everything in life. This was bad timing. I had just gotten to the far right lane. They had just walked up. Just it's almost like they know that happens, because they probably that's the regular routine is to wait for the bus. So if it's wet and the roads are like they are today, they know that could that could happen. And I never would usually ride in that far right lane because honestly, it's really small, Like I feel like I'm gonna hit the curb or I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: Hit a car.
Speaker 4: Like you got to some of these roads like broadways four lanes, I mean, you might as well stay in between the middle ones because the ones on the far left are far right.
Speaker 2: Like I don't I mean, I don't know how you don't hit people.
Speaker 4: So I hope that person didn't get hit, but I kind of feel like they did. But I don't know what I should have done. I mean, had I parked the car, I would have been the a hole that I just referred to.
Speaker 2: They just decides to stop their.
Speaker 4: Car and you know, hope somebody says something and what I was, What would I've said?
Speaker 2: I didn't have a towel.
Speaker 4: I mean, I mean, they wouldn't have wanted an apology, right, But I'm just thinking about some sad human being sitting on the bus. It's thirty four degrees outside and they might be soaking wet with dirty road water because of me.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's a that's a that's a tough thing to carry, right, That's happened to me before. Like if I've been that person, oh man and it's got to be the worst thing ever, right, Yeah, Oh it's terrible.
Speaker 3: I mean a thing too. It's terrible, But also it isn't well. I don't know if it's a mental thing for me. I just feel like that person just hated me. But they couldn't have known. I think it was in New York when it happened. Yeah, I was in New York. There's a lot of hustle and bustle going on there, and I think it was it had just rained the night before, so there's puddles everywhere, and I guess, And I happened to be walking on that side of the sidewalk, and I had told myself, probably I should get on this side of the sidewalk because my fiance was on that side. And that's supposed to be the gentleman thing to do, right in the one and one hundred case that that happens, you have to stay on that inside of the sidewalk part. It's inside of the outside of the sidewalk, just so I that happens, And it did, and it happened to me.
Speaker 4: So so did it get did it go like over your head or just like your feet?
Speaker 2: What was it? It was?
Speaker 3: I think it's probably like from the waist down is where it got me.
Speaker 4: But that's just terrible luck, terrible timing. So it for it to happen to you, and I think when it happens to you, you would just assume that you were meant to be cursed or something.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, it's like that sucks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And again timing like it couldn't have been worse because I accelerated to go around this car and then boom, there's there's this, I mean, and then as soon as I hit it and I saw them moving, I looked up. I looked up in my rear view in the mirror that's you know, right above me, and I didn't see anything. And then I looked to the to the driver's side mirror and I could see.
Speaker 2: That the I mean it was.
Speaker 4: I mean, you would have thought I was just looking at a new water ride they had at Hurricane Bay, I mean.
Speaker 2: And so I don't think it just got their legs.
Speaker 4: I think I gave them a full on, like they just got drenched from head to toe because of again, like I accelerated and hit the puddle like I was trying to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it didn't catch the reaction.
Speaker 3: Your thing was just to just keep on going out of sight, out of mind.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm thinking from the I mean for the next one. I mean I haven't been able to stuff think about it since it happened, because like that would be terrible and and I think in a way they might believe I did it intentionally, but maybe, but I don't know the way they they kind of peeked out from behind the little the little I don't know what it's called, but it's where you can sit and you can be covered to an extent when you're waiting for the bus. They weren't inside that because it's not raining now, but they were kind of like behind it. It's almost like people who sit at that spot for the bus stop where you can actually, you know, like be covered.
Speaker 2: I can't, I can't think what it's called.
Speaker 4: But it's almost like they were afraid to even stand in there or sit in there because even then you could still get hit with water, right, And so they had they had safe distance. And then all of a sudden, this person I think it was a woman too, which makes you feel even worse, to be honest with you, she she's inching out towards the curb and then here I come boat. She tried to get out of the way, and I don't know. I think I might have wiped her out. I mean, I didn't hit her, but you know what I mean, Like I feel terrible. You know, I'm somebody that can can know that I had no bad intention. Sure, and I can know that the person, you know, this person doesn't know who I am. They would maybe know that I didn't have any bad intention, but like, I don't. I that's a helpless feeling. And here I am sounding like the victim.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 2: I feel so bad.
Speaker 4: I'm not the one drenched in dirty road water, you know what I'm saying, Like it just it's a it's a helpless feeling, and I don't I don't know what to do.
Speaker 2: But I don't know what I could have done.
Speaker 4: Right, Like if i'd have got out of the car, I mean, what would I have said, Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to.
Speaker 2: I guess sorry.
Speaker 4: I guess that would have been a courtesy, But I doubt they would have met me with oh it's okay, no big deal, have a good day, thanks for stopping. Could have been some cuss words. Yeah, Like it's what are you doing. Guy never reminds me of one time. This was when we were we were I prime, I don't know, it's probably twenty one, twenty two, maybe younger.
Speaker 2: I was about to admit to a couple of years ago.
Speaker 4: I was about Yeah, I was about to meet to a crime because I think I was drinking at a concert.
Speaker 2: But I wasn't of age. Don't ask me how it happened. It just happened.
Speaker 4: But we were at This was when Kenny Chesney came to At the time, it was Papa John's Cardinal Stadium, right, And you might not even have lived here at the time because I was I was really young. But Kenny Chesney and then the the what's the band's name? That the little big town maybe that sounds about right. And then there was another I did been Toby Keith, like there was a huge concert at Cardinal Stadium, talking like two thousand and eight maybe, and I had a full you know, we're talking so think of like the crunt zone area of the football stadium so like. And by the way, they hadn't even they hadn't even expanded the stadium yet, that's how long ago this was. Wow, So we're you know, we're up towards I mean, we're probably as far away as you could actually be, to be honest with you, But because of how it was set up, it was great. And I was hammered. So I don't really remember like if it was a bad experience as far as seats. But anyways, my wife and I were walking to we weren't even married yet, but we were walking to our seats, and she was kind of, you know, she was a little woozy because of the steps.
Speaker 2: So I had both of our beers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I happened to quite literally drop an entire beer, a little plastic cup of beer, and it just fell right on somebody's head below me, and like they turned around, and I'm thinking, like what can I say? What? You know, I'm just thinking, all right, you're gonna punch me in the face, just do it, please, because like I don't know what I can say. I can't It was an accident, but you don't want to hear it was an accident. Yeah, you're drenched in beer, so like it. You know, I it sucks. But again here I am complaining about it. Whenever the people who were the victims of my nonsense, they're the ones who you're.
Speaker 2: Going to be drenching anything.
Speaker 3: You'd rather be beer, right than some muddy.
Speaker 4: Snow wise And I remember briefly thinking like, well, maybe they'll understand and like we'll party together because it was a mistake and maybe they're drunk to where they don't even mind wearing beer. And then it wasn't that, and it was just an awkward thing where I just wanted to go crawl in a hole and die. Yikes, like a total lost lost my buzz too, by the way, Like I was just like I was. I was miserable the rest of the concert, feeling like such an a hole, like not knowing what I could do. You killed your own buzz, yeah, And you know I even offered to I think I offered to buy a beer, like after the fact, like to make it up, and like they didn't even answer me, like they just wouldn't look at me. And I'm like, oh, man, I would.
Speaker 2: Hate me too.
Speaker 3: Well, you should have some you should have some good conscience and knowing that you tried to do everything that you can, because I feel like that's the cursy, is it not. Yeah, that's got to be the courtesy afterwards, Like it's can I buy you a you know, like, what.
Speaker 2: Can you do? Do you want to hit me? Do you get one free shot? Yes? I mean it was it was rough.
Speaker 4: So if you are somebody, I don't know, maybe they're maybe they're listening now on the iHeartRadio app and they're like, yeah, it was me, you piece of scum. I mean, it wasn't intentional. And I feel bad. Kara's gonna get me. I know that I will pay for that in some way, and uh, you know, just know that I'm sure it'll come back around.
Speaker 2: Even though it wasn't intentional.
Speaker 4: That was it was my fault and it and it's probably ruined your day and I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, we'll roll along here and what we got to talk about it.
Speaker 4: On the other side, Pat Kelsey has added a player for next season's roster that I don't think any of us have ever heard of.
Speaker 2: But the story, I.
Speaker 4: Mean, and I think it's really, more than anything, a sign that what we may start seeing in college basketball. So we'll get to that in a lot more. Keep it locked. If you want to give us a call, you can do it. Five two, five seven, one seventy nine hundred.
Speaker 2: It's coffee.
Speaker 4: And Company, Nick Coffee Austin Montgomery, taking you up till six o'clock right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: If you want to give us a call, you can do it.
Speaker 4: Five oh two five seven one seventy nine hundred is the number you want to give us a call? Text line Lenn Federal Credit Union text line five x two six five three zero seven ninety. This text says Nick, as someone who has been the victim of the splash, I can tell you I spent many months hoping to find the person who did it so I could call them out make their life a living hell. And then they go on to say, but my apology makes it to where maybe I again, if what you're saying is that it made you feel is if you do.
Speaker 2: Understand it was an accident.
Speaker 4: I'm sure in the moment it wouldn't have made a difference, but like it can't happen in quite literally, it be just an accident and there was no intention at all. But I mean, yeah, to hear you say that when it happened to you, you wanted to track that person down and you often thought about them and what you would do to them if you got your hands on them.
Speaker 2: I totally get it.
Speaker 4: That's why I felt so terrible and just wanted to get it off my conscience and just you know, let everybody know.
Speaker 2: I know some bad energy may be coming my.
Speaker 4: Way for that, because that was it was not good. If you want to text in, it's the ellen In Federal Credit Union text line members get more at Ellenn Federal Credit Union. You can learn more and open your account today at lnfcu dot com. All right, so Pat Kelsey has added himself a freshman for next year's team, but it's not gonna be your typical freshman because this guy, he'll be twenty two years old when he becomes a freshman for the Louisville basketball program next year.
Speaker 2: So six ' eleven twitter and forty five pound forward.
Speaker 4: Frew is what I'm going to refer to him as because that's a cool last name, Fru. But his first name is Sonanda Snanda Frew, and I hope I'm saying that correctly. But he is from Germany. He's twenty one and again will be twenty two. I would imagine by the time he gets to Louisville, and he has played for a club in Germany that I guess is in some way professional, but maybe he wasn't compensated because I really, to be honest with you, used to be able to get kids who played for these professional clubs overseas, but yet there had to be like like, for example, think in his canter meaning he's somebody that because he did take money from one of these clubs that he played for in Turkey, the NCAA ended up ruling that he was not eligible to play for Kentucky. Now a lot of things have changed since then, so I don't know if he's a guy who's actually played pro or what.
Speaker 2: Not really sure if it matters. I'm sure if I.
Speaker 4: Really worked harder, I could get a better understanding of what is and what is not allowed. But I think we're at a point right now when it comes to the NCUBLEA and what they enforce and what they try to, you know, try to police like it's as tough now as it's ever been in my opinion as far as keeping up with what you are. I mean, I think even coaches out there are not really sure if what they're doing is allowed or not. I mean, that sounds crazy, but it wouldn't shock me because I think in the early stages of them trying to police this world of the portal and nil. I mean it was a Florida State, I believe it was or Tennessee, one of those two, maybe it was both of them. They ended up getting and they filed a lawsuit and they won. And therefore, like now it's like, do whatever, hire a lawyer and you'll get away with it. But I remember Florida State got caught with some recruiting violations when it comes to coaches basically telling their players or the recruits like, hey, you need to go talk to the collective because I can't talk money with you. That alone was a violation, and I think just about every coach across the country said, well, wait, isn't that what we're supposed to do. We aren't allowed to talk money, so we go tell them to talk to somebody else about it.
Speaker 2: So anyways, this guy, he's gonna.
Speaker 4: Have four years of eligibility when he gets to Louisville when he's twenty one going on twenty two, and that I kind of want to there's something about the age that we're seeing college basketball players at now, some of them.
Speaker 2: And I want to, I mean, I want to, I.
Speaker 4: Want to say that for a little bit later, because there are certain dudes out here that are really having a great season in college basketball and really just you know, living their best.
Speaker 2: Life, as the kids say. But yet because they're.
Speaker 4: So old, like they're becoming like they're getting made fun of, like yeah, cool, Like you're old, dude, you should have been out of college a long time ago. Once you refresh that LinkedIn bio, bro, like, come on, you've been in the game forever. So anyways, we'll save that conversation for later. But this guy six eleven, two forty five. According to Jeff Goodman, he first appeared for this pro club in Germany in the two thousand and twenty twenty one season and twenty twenty two twenty one season, I should say, but he didn't play until the following year, so that was I guess two years ago, three years ago maybe. So. He is currently averaging twelve points, five rebounds, and one point three blocks while shooting seventy five percent from the field. He has started seventeen games, So it's a guy who really had never played basketball until I guess he got to be around eighteen years old, and now here he is. He's been with this club for four years, and he's a late You got a late start, right, I mean, this is somebody that started playing the game late, and it will start his college career as a freshman with four years left to play when he's twenty one or twenty two years old. Now, if you watch the highlights, and again it's just highlights. And I will admit, even though it looks as if he's playing relative competition, I have no clue, like if this is like the B or C version of whatever league he's playing for in Germany. But his highlights look really impressive. We're talking about a guy who's long, athletic, can rem run. I mean, looks like he's got a good amount of skill to him.
Speaker 2: I'm sure very much a raw prospect.
Speaker 4: But I talked about this yesterday when it comes to James Scott, and I'm not even making the comparison when it comes to James as a player, just because I'd be a fool to even try to act like I can compare anybody to Freu because never heard of him until about five hours of go when the news broke that he's coming to Louisville, but you know, he just looks like he's got a high motor.
Speaker 2: And I feel like you're always gonna want talent.
Speaker 4: And if you want to succeed at a place like Louisville to where you are competing for final fours and really one of the premier programs in the country, you need not just guys that are gonna work their tail off and fight for you need.
Speaker 2: You need guys that are really talented.
Speaker 4: And who knows, maybe this guy is, but I think coaches like Pat Kelcey and honestly even coaches like Mark Pohe And I'll give you another example.
Speaker 2: Bruce Pearl.
Speaker 4: Like Bruce Pearl is having a phenomenal season with Auburn. He's certainly one of the top candidates for Coach of the Year. And yes he has some good players, but he's taken guys who were hungry, hard workers, and that's the best recipe for guys who coach the way Bruce Pearl does. Right, like Jeni Broom's an All American, he legitimately has has a right to be the Player of the Year nationally over Cooper Flagg. In my opinion, I don't think you can go you can go wrong with either. I'm just saying like he's sensational. But he's a guy who has been in college a long time. He worked his tail off, he started his career Moorehead State. So I just think guys that are hungry, guys that really want to prove they belong and it's tough to find that. Right, you can think that a guy's got a good mindset about him.
Speaker 2: A guy.
Speaker 4: Let me give an example, and this is gonna sell like I'm picking on him, but I'm not like Big Frank, the guy who you know, Frank anslom Ivy probably the one player who's played the most minutes that gets talked about the least. And I mean, you know everybody else because of the injuries. I mean, you see guys that are consistently getting really the same amount of minutes. If you think about it, I'm gonna pull up the stats now because you've had anselom Iby get minutes here and there.
Speaker 2: He's played.
Speaker 4: You know, he played more the other night whenever James Scott was out. But he's somebody that is, Yeah, he's averaging three point nine minutes per game. He's the only scholarship player that is not really a legitimate piece to the rotation as far as like he's getting. I mean, for example, everybody else who plays Chuck, Terrence Hadley, Rayne, James, Scott Waterman, I mean, Trey Ouay can I those guys are all getting fourteen minutes plus Frank Anceler Iby's played eighteen minutes and he's getting three point nine minutes per game. So he at times he's out there, he'll get a block shot, he'll get a dunk. I mean, he'll he'll do exactly. He's the perfect piece for that role. And finding a guy that upstairs, and what I mean by that is I mean mentally is willing to embrace that. That's the best case scenario. So finding a guy like that, and this is where I was going to say it was sound like I'm picking on him. He's somebody that I think is the perfect player for Pat Kelsey will do whatever you want. Is all about the team power of the unit. Like he seems to really embrace that. But he doesn't have a whole lot of talent, right, he doesn't have a whole Like if he had to play twenty five minutes, he'd give you everything he has, but I'm not really sure how much he'd produced for you. So if you could find I mean, I think the best case scenario for Pat Kelsey is to find guys that are willing to embrace the we versus me kind of mentality, as he says, power of the unit, but also can really just develop and work their tail off and become really good. And that's what James Scott has done. So I don't want to fake take it an act, like I know a whole lot about this guy, but he is somebody Sananda Frew that from highlights looks like he's got some skill to him, and he's a grown ass man. He'll be twenty one or twenty two by the time he gets here, and he'll have four years. And you know, I trust Pat Kelsey when it comes to evaluating players that can fit with what he wants to do and that can thrive in his system. All right, So, Austin, you're a good person. Asked this about because the guy. There are many college basketball fans out there, and I don't want to maybe you're not this guy, but I know plenty of them that just are. You're not that guy, pal, But like, do you think it's less impressive and maybe players shouldn't be as arrogant if they're having a really good college season and yet they're very old compared to the other players, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like if.
Speaker 3: Especially like in the last couple of years with all the transfer portals in that extra COVID history, and you're like twenty seven years old, like Hunter Dickinson, that that type of player something.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So Hunter Dickinson's somebody that has been good every year that he's been in college, and he's been in college now for five.
Speaker 2: Years, beca because of the COVID years.
Speaker 4: Like, he's somebody that has he started his career quite literally whenever I'm pretty sure whenever we had our first season where you know, there was no fans there. So he's a guy who he seems like he's been in college for twenty years because not only has he been in college five years, which is more than what you're supposed to the only circumstance that led to that as a global pandemic, but he's played a lot since he got here, right right, So he to me, I feel like he kind of like he can read the room, right, like he knows that people are going to make the joke about, hey, the old guy, do you want to start your life after basketball?
Speaker 2: But then there's other guys.
Speaker 4: Let me give you an example, because Auburn they've got a guy on their team whose name is Chad Baker Mazara, and he's probably their best player outside of Jenna Broom and a lot of I mean, he's really good.
Speaker 2: He's really good for them. But he's twenty five years old.
Speaker 4: And he started his career at Duquane and then he went to San Diego State, then he went to junior college. Then he played a junior season at Auburn last year, and he was already old when he got to college because maybe he got held back a year, which isn't that uncommon, And now because of junior college, he will mean for those who don't know, and this has not been something we've brought up recently, but guys like honestly, two guys on Lois roster right now have an extra year of eligibility because of this rule. Cason Pryor may have two years because of the injury where he may get a medical red sheir. But if your eligibility is set to end this year and you had any year, could be multiple years. Any of your college career was spent at the junior college level. Because the Van Dy quarterback filed a lawsuit in one basically saying that the NCAA cannot count years where you played in JC Double A because it's not the same entity. Then they can't count that towards your eligibility. So while they try to work it out, what the NCAA's done is basically given a blanket waiver and said, look, if your eligible eligibility was going to be coming to.
Speaker 2: An end, then you get one more year. Because of this.
Speaker 4: We're not gonna file every we're not going to handle every every situation individually. It's just a blanket thing. If you were, if you're if you were in your last year of eligibility and one of your years was counted from JUCO, you get an extra year. So that's case from Pryor and Jabon Hadley. So this guy next year, Chad Baker Mazara, who's a really good college player, but I don't think he looks like an NBA guy. He could he could be a twenty six year old, sixty year guy in college and he's really arrogant.
Speaker 2: He's really like he's.
Speaker 4: The guy who he got ejected the other night because he like, like, I guess this is like a thing you can that they're really emphasizing, which makes sense. But I'm so, you know, I don't know what what players are doing this day and age to celebrate when they make a shot or they dunk on somebody, but like you lift up your jersey as if you got a gun in your waist, like you're automatically getting teed up for doing that, which makes which makes total sense. Well he did that, and he was just really you know, just kind of I mean, he's somebody that put it this way. He's somebody that you probably hate if he's not on your team. And I'll be honest with you, as much as I've watched Auburn play, I think even if he was on my team, i'd kind of hate him too. Like I think, if he helps my team, then great, But like he's just kind of a clown out there as far as just being really animated, really arrogant at times, can be a dirty player with certain fouls and whatnot. So he's now turned into like the punching bag for college basketball sick of fans on Twitter where they just like he'll post something or somebody will acknowledge that he had a big game or a nice stat line, and everybody's just walking right into the joke, like, yeah, he's twenty five years old, Like why don't you, you know, why don't you start your life like you've had a you know, you've had a good run kind of thing. So my question is is it fair to take shots at guys who are really really thriving, but it's because they're at times. I mean, for example, whenever I can't think of a freshman in the SEC that's like a big let me give you an example for Auburn or not Auburn. For Boogie Fland, I mean, he is a freshman at Arkansas. He's hurt, so maybe he's not a good example. But Carter Knox or Billy Richmond, two guys that played big minutes for cal at Arkansas, that had big games against Kentucky a couple of weeks ago. When Arkansas plays Auburn and this guy's out here, you know, having a good game, meaning Chad Baker Mazara and he's given you know, he's talking reckless to Billy Richmond. You're talking to an eighteen year old and you're twenty five, like it does. Like again, I don't blame any of these guys for sticking around in college as long as they possibly can, because why would you not. First of all, it's probably a great experience in your life that you're always cherished. You know, by the way, now you can make really big money. So again, I don't know what I would do if I was one of those guys, but I would also Tomas feel a little insecure knowing that, yes, I'm still around at you know, mid twenties, and some of these guys I'm playing against are eighteen and nineteen to where it kind of makes sense that I would be able to be successful. But then again, when he get to the pros, it's different, right, Like, you got guys who I mean, it's not uncommon for two guys to be going head to head, right Like in any given night in the NBA when there's a really big matchup between two players that are you know, two of the best in the league, and you know that, hey, we've got this team and that team.
Speaker 2: Here's this star player, here's that star player.
Speaker 4: You don't really think of age, but it wouldn't be crazy to think that one guy's seven years older than the other guy. But this is also college and we're talking about like eighteen year old kids that are playing. But then again, it's not really college because quite literally, with guys being able to play this long because they're making money, I mean, it's pro sports now. So I don't know, I guess, long winded way of me asking, do you think it's lame for people to make fun of guys guys who are arrogant in college in blaming it on because they should have left long ago.
Speaker 2: They're too old, they need to move on.
Speaker 3: Well sometimes I do that on Twitter.
Speaker 4: So that's that's why I'm asking you, like, you know, is it then No, I'm not. I'm not asking you if that's not my question. My question is like should these like is it a normal reaction? Because I don't know, like I never think of anybody's age when I watched them play, but whenever you see somebody bring it up and I'm like, yeah, that is kind of odd. Like, think about it if you were in any other aspect of life outside of you know, college sports, I guess, or really I guess professional sports, and you were in a better position at twenty five than somebody at eighteen, and you were really just letting them have it.
Speaker 2: Like you'd look like a total loser, right, you look like the guy almost.
Speaker 4: It's like, yeah, trying to come back and stunt at the high school games when you're twenty two, you know what I mean, Like it's it's it's yeah, it's got that kind of vibe to it. But again, I don't blame them, but we are at a point that nothing surprises me when it comes to what player. And what makes this just so wild to me is that for hundreds of years it seemed that I'm exaggerating, but the ncblea's archaic amateurism model was in place forever for generations, and then within a matter of you know, the last four years, really i'd say last three and a half.
Speaker 2: Four years, the players have all the power and.
Speaker 4: They can do whatever they want. It's just a totally different world. So I mean, if you're an NAIA player and you played at Georgetown College, which by the way, I think they're number one in the country right now. In nai they got some really good players. In fact, there's some D one guys playing right now. In fact, Chris Mack has one of them at Charleston that started his career at Georgetown College and now he's, you know, a legitimately all conference caliber player at the mid major level.
Speaker 2: So if a guy graduated this.
Speaker 4: Year from Georgetown College or something like that, and he challenged the NCUBA and said, look, I didn't play NCAA. I played NAI Why would you be able to tell me I can't. How would you be able to tell me that I'm not eligible to play when I've not played a single second under the NCAA umbrella?
Speaker 2: Like, he probably hire a lawyer and win.
Speaker 4: And at that point, you're talking about what we're talking about here, which is guys coming over from overseas that are late bloomers or whatever it may be. They just want to make money, and yet they end up being twenty two year old freshmen and they graduate when they're twenty six like that. I don't want to say it's going to be super common, but it'll be more common than it's ever been, really because previously was never possible. It's just wild to think about how different things are now in college athletics. In fact, a lot of these guys that would never entertain college because they can hide overseas better and then be drafted.
Speaker 2: The big Z brothers. There's you know, the Big Z. I don't even know. I just know him as Big Z.
Speaker 4: But he played at Kentucky last year and now they followed cald Arkansas. I hit that big three late in the game the other night. His brother plays for Illinois. Well, the story is that those two guys were NBA prospects because they were young, and they were up and coming, and they had a lot of skill. You know, they're the new age European bigs that can do a lot. But they didn't want to go play college because if anything, all it does is potentially expose you. But there's so much money being paid to college players now, they were full of Big Z got a big amount of money to come to Kentucky last year. And look, he may never be drafted, right because he may have shown in college that he's not good enough to be like an all, he's not good enough to be an NBA player. I'm not saying he won't be, but I'm just saying it's worth that risk to potentially put enough film out there to where they realize you're not good enough to be in the NBA. Because in college Now you can you can go get paid big money, and you know, just the way in which guys stick around longer, or the way in which you can add players that you typically wouldn't be able to add in college basketball and really college football. It's fascinating to me. All right, quick break, we'll come back, wrap up at three o'clock hour, or keep this thing rolling along. It's coffee and company. Hear Field about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and company. Fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine days.
Speaker 4: A big night of college basketball this evening in Kentucky. They'll take on Tennessee at seven o'clock. This game, I think it opened up Tennessee favored by a point. And then Mark Pope on his show last night mentioned actually, I'm not even sure if you mentioned it or not. I just know that it did come out with the injury report that that Jackson Robinson is not going to be he's not he's not playing, he's out dealing with the wrist injury. And that Lamont Butler, I guess, is back. So obviously, without without Jackson Robinson, Kentucky is is not as good. I mean, they can still win. And that's what is wild about Kentucky. They've been able to win some games that really have value, right, Like absolutely are going to keep them up on a certain seed line because you know, winning in Knoxville like they did a couple of weeks ago, that's going to be as valuable as any win anybody can get in college basketball. So they did that without Butler and without was it without car too?
Speaker 2: Maybe?
Speaker 4: So anyways, they are underdogs at RUP tonight, which isn't a surprise considering the circumstance and considering how good Tennessee is. But this has to be a real rarity for them to be underdogs at home. I mean, I know it's happened, and maybe it even happened earlier this year, and I just forgot about it when they played Florida. I kind of feel like at that time, given where both teams were, Kentucky was probably probably still favored in that game. But either way, the kin Pom projected score, which I don't believe. I mean, kin Pom does not factor in, does not factor in injuries. Guys who have you know who just played one game and then won't play the other but for what it's worth, the projected score, assuming everybody plays, which again they're not, would be a win for Kentucky seventy four to seventy two. So this I'm fascinated to see this game because to me, it comes down to who's going to be able to get into what they want to do and Kentucky's gonna do what they want to do, and meaning they're gonna they're gonna play with a real intent to have as many possessions as possible. They should shoot more threes than they do, to be honest with you, But either way, like they have a style and it's.
Speaker 2: Worked pretty good for him.
Speaker 4: I mean, they've had games where they got blown out like Ole Miss, but keep in mind Kentucky being down twenty three to twenty five points in that game and yet clawing back to get it within eleven or something. You shouldn't celebrate that. It's not like won, you still lost by double digits. But because of the way they play, they can at times get hot and dig themselves out of a hole. I mean they've shown that in many games this year. So my point is Tennessee when they lost at home, which who knows, maybe that's the only home lost Tennessee ends up taking this year wouldn't shock me at all. They got into I don't want to say they took the bait, because that's probably not the best way to describe it. But they shot more threes than Kentucky and they're not built for that at all. And they've got a really good shooter. The kid that transferred from North Florida that actually picked Tennessee over Kentucky Chad Lanier, I believe it is his name. He's a really good shooter. In fact, he was right behind Rayan Smith as far as three pointers made per game for a good for a good stretch of the season. So I think if Tennessee does what Rick Barnes wants to do, where they just they they they they get back and don't try to play the same game, right they don't put it this way, Kentucky wants as many possessions as possible, that Tennessee has the mindset of, no, we're gonna make it to where we have fewer possessions than you'd ever want. I think that's where Tennessee could really find a good find, find a style in a situation where they could get out of up Arena with a win.
Speaker 2: But if they start, if they.
Speaker 4: If they keep going possession for possession and they fire up a bunch of threes, they may still win because they're good at Kentucky's without Jackson Robinson. But I just don't know how so many teams have not figured out that, you know, Kentucky can be beat at that in that situation in those kind of games, because it happened with Alabama. But Alabama just so happens to be the number one team in the country right now. Who else got them in that situation? I mean, Florida Kentucky one, But it could have gone either way.
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 4: If that's not who you are, right, if that's not your brand, if that's not like a part of your DNA, I don't know why you would want to get into playing their style whenever you could still win, but you know you're playing in a way that they are going to potentially be at their best. And I think Rick Barnes and Tennessee probably learned from that and their.
Speaker 2: Loss to Kentucky. So we'll see.
Speaker 4: But big game, no doubt. We got number four, and when it comes to the kin pomp Tennessee is number four. Kentucky's at number twenty two, so big time. One of the many big time matchups tonight. All right, fellas, let me tell you about the Lots of Men's clinic. You guys have heard me talking about my experience with doctor Wood at the Louis of Men's Clinic for for quite a while, now over a year and this past year, I've definitely improved really all aspects of my life when it comes to health. I mean, I have better energy, I'm no longer lethargic, I get more out of my workouts, and it's all because I am on testosterone treatment at the lover Of Men's Clinic. A lot of people think, well, that must be related to erectyled function, or that must be for old dudes that are in like their sixties or fifties, and no, it could be anybody, honestly, any age.
Speaker 2: But when you get to be in your.
Speaker 4: Mid thirties, early thirties, it's where I noticed, Hey, something's just not adding up, Like I've lost my edge a little bit. I don't know why, Like I'm really mindful of what I put in my body, and not that I'm on some super strict diet, but I just kind of felt like I was no longer getting the same results that I used to get in the gym. And also the mental factor. I mean, I didn't realize having your testosterone levels where they need to be for your age range can benefit you in all aspects of life. And I know there's this stigma that you know, I don't need that I'm a man. No, I mean it's not really about that. I mean it's life. You can be the most manly man on earth and your levels of testosterone may not be where they need to be because you know it's part of life.
Speaker 2: So get them checked.
Speaker 4: You may find out that, yeah, your levels are way off, and then you get it taken care of it the lot of a men's clinic, and you'll be living.
Speaker 2: Better than you realized you ever could.
Speaker 4: I mean, I thought there was a part of my life like two years ago, Well, hey, this is.
Speaker 2: Just part of it. Right.
Speaker 4: Like I'm older now, I'm not feeling like a grandpa, but man like I don't have the same juice that I used to have. And then now in the last year since I've been taking testosterone treatment, I feel like I went back in time and I now feel like I You know, am much younger than I was for a while, so I'm telling you it never hurts it. At least get your levels checked. So Louivileman's clinic dot com is the website. Give him a call five two four four four four thousand, Tell him I sent you.
Speaker 2: Go see doctor Wood and you'll be happy that you did.
Speaker 4: All Right, we got two hours left, so stick around coffee and company, rolling along on a.
Speaker 2: Nasty, wet Tuesday. But uh, it's okay. We'll have some fun.
Speaker 4: Keep a lock right here on Sports Talk seven ninety