Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine days.
Speaker 2: Now, here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to Sports Talk seven ninety. I'm Scott Fitzgerald filling in for the next couple of days for the vacationing Nick Coffee, who is taking.
Speaker 2: A well deserved two days off. Bind you.
Speaker 1: I don't think people understand just how hard this man works, and so when he takes some time off, well, it's great to see him be able to step aside and get away. It is so hard to believe, but it is time again for Kentucky State high school football and it won't be long in.
Speaker 2: Friday night lights will be a thing.
Speaker 1: And we've got the one man, the authority with Kentucky Prep Gridiron dot Com. He is Fletcher Longie's back for a second season with us. How are you, brother man?
Speaker 3: I am doing great, Scott, and I got a little announcement if you'll indulge me, please do so. I'm also repping Prep Red Zone, so wow, I've joined the folks at Prep Red Zone and I'm still doing Kentucky Prep Gridiron and most of my middle school content, if not all of it, will be over on Prep Red Zone next. Okay, but I want to give a shout out to al Papadines and Jake Lemming, my and my new crew at the Prep Red Zone. So what this makes me really is a football monopoly you're talking to. You're talking to a middle and high school football monopoly. You can't really monetize such a concept, but it does exist right well.
Speaker 1: And the important thing here, Fletcher, to document is why if you really want to fall high school football as big as it's getting, you've got to start at the younger levels because players are getting younger and younger now and they're starting to form relationships now, and those relationships.
Speaker 2: Turn into bigger relationships, et cetera. And we move on. So good to hear, Fletch. Glad to hear your working through that.
Speaker 1: Fletcher and I of course ran down all last year, as we will again this year. Every Saturday we'll be out with the recap of what is the high school football week in Kentucky. So, Fletcher, in the limited time we have here, Buddy, we could probably talk for hours on this, but let's start right in.
Speaker 2: This is our season preview as.
Speaker 1: We look at what's ahead coming up in high school football around the entire comming wealth.
Speaker 2: Let's start in Class one and a what do you have, brother?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, it's hard to unseat the Pikeful Panthers. They're almost at Boyle County level, and that is they're gonna be our presumptive state champion till somebody beats them. But if there's a team that can beat them, a team that has more talent than even Pikeville has, you'd have to say that. You got to like Sayer High School. I mean, is it their time? They've got the best quarterback in the classification. This guy had a sixty seven percent completion rate in twenty three fifty touchdowns against zero picks, which I don't know how in the world that's even possible. They've got Charlie Slayball is probably gonna be incidentally, that guy's name is Pennington, Luke Pennington's quarterbacking. They got Charlie slay You know that shit sound familiar, right? They were Chad Pennington of NFL and Marshall Fame. They got Charlie slat Ball is going to carry the load on the ground this year. But I really I kind of like Sayer, you know, I you know, I picked. If you're reading my magazine, I picked Pikeful, and I don't like going with last year's champion. But there comes a time when it just gets ridiculous and you have to say, Okay, you know, I'm going with last year's champion until somebody shows me that they can beat last year's champion. And you know, but anyway, I don't like going with last year's champion, but I picked Pikeful. But I'm telling you Sayer could win one.
Speaker 2: A wow, all right, Fletcher Long joining us in.
Speaker 1: Fletcher is the guru, the okay so grande, the big cheese when it comes to high school football in Kentucky. He's web His website is Kentucky Prep Gridiron dot com. And again he's also with Prep red Zone in Prep red Zone?
Speaker 2: Is that right, Fletch? Do I get that right?
Speaker 3: That's right? Yeah, it's Prep red Zone. I think I'm with the next. I think I'm with Prep reads on Next, but it's all prepreds on Baby.
Speaker 1: I got you, brother, Okay, perfect, perfect, Well, Fletch and I will be breaking down the high school football week that was throughout the season, and you can follow along. You either follow Fletch on actions. You can follow me on next whomever, but get connected with Fletch. He'll take you where you need to be. Okay, Fletch. As we preview the upcoming season, let's move over to class to a Mayfield where you're state champions last year after they beat Owensboro Catholic a very high scoring affair fifty three to forty eight.
Speaker 2: How does Class two a shake out this year?
Speaker 3: Well, nobody's going to be surprised. Everybody knows that I'm a big fan of Owensboro Catholic. You know, Mayfield lost their coach in the offseason, Joe Morris retired. They lost about every line of production that they could put on a football field. I like Owensboro Kathla to win it. I mean they got Brady atwell Back at quarterback. He completed nearly seventy percent of his passing attempt for nearly five thousand yards and sixty eight touchdowns. He was also the leaguing rusher with six hundred and ninety five yards and seventeen Russian touchdowns. Hecky had ten tackles and a tackle for loss on defense. You talk about your do it all guy, Vince Karko's back he had one hundred and ninety seven tackles a year ago. They got their placekicker back. Always look at the place kicker. That's Uncle Fletcher's tip of the day because that's sixty eight made pats in a field goal. That's seventy one points. It's hard to you know, when you lose seventy one points, you know. So they got their placekicker back. You know, they lost William. They lost William Carrico, he graduated, but they got Darien Crowe coming over from Owensboro Senior High. I can comment on this transfer because he's been cleared for play. This guy has a four to six five second forty yard dash in a three seven grade point average, and he's already committed. It looks like that he committed to I think it's an FCS school, but it looks like that he's he already committed to Illinois State. Yeah, I think they're State. They could be FBS, but but their division one. So I mean, I like the aces Man. They got a great coaching staff, but I also like Beechwood. You know, Clay Hayden's back and he completed seventy three percent of his passing attempts. At forty eight touchdowns. Chase flowerty is back at running back, you know. And they got Tyler Freeman, who's probably one of the best twenty seven white outs in Kentucky's twenty seven class. He had forty seven receptions and one thousand yards receiving and ten touchdowns, was the third leading scorer, and he was a freshman last year. He was just a frosh. You know. They got Larr Coulson back at placekicker. This Uncle Fletcher's tip of the day. This guy scored eighty one pats and was three for five on field goals. Was their fourth leading scorer. So they lost Xavier Campbell and Talon Lender and Noah Rash. Of course, their legendary coach retired before last year. So I mean I like them. I like LCA two. They've got the best offensive line, you know, in the game. They've got out of their five slots, they've got four of them holding multiple D one offers. You got Hayes Preston's headed to Air Force. Jake Darby I think is gonna go to West Point. He was their player of the year at their camp this past summer. You've got Trey Forod Thomas headed the Navy, and Brooks Kerwin has been offered by E Ku and U. T. Martin, and I think he's going to Gardner Webb is what I heard. The other day. They got Hunter Adams back, so they lost a lot, and Cutter Bowley and Brady Hensley and Parker Cheney and Will Howell and Major Brown can Yatta ours, but they got a lot coming back to So I'm gonna say those are my top three, and look look for Summerset and Mighty Mayfield to jump in there too. And I just want to mention Mike Hocomb's back at breath At Height, and they've got two young stud twenty eighths and Eli Thomas and Miles halland Hocomb's helping with Kyle Moore staff, the Hall of Famer, the guy you know, the guy with over three victories and three titles. He's he's helping coach at breath At again. And they've got two stud twenty eighths and Eli Thomas and Miles Holland, and Holland could be the quarterback they've been looking for. Eli Thomas is a little running back, a freshman that can box jump on a fifty inch box sideways on one leg. Pretty impressive. And Austin Sperry's back at receiving. I've seen him do it. I mean, I'm not just saying that, right, I've seen it. You know, they got Austin's Ferry back. Of course, Corey Combs is coming off the injured reserve and he should be back and healthy. So I mean look for breath at High and Murray Hyde to get into the mix. You know, Murray High's got Melvin Conningham and his second year's coach. And of course Jeremiah Jones is committed to Nebraska six four, two hundred pound stud. Yeah, fladed Wow.
Speaker 2: Fletcher Long joining us again.
Speaker 1: He was year two now with Fletcher breaking down Kentucky state high school footballs with Kentucky gred Iron dot com as the website and also prep red Zone next. You can check him out there and also follow him along line ax as we give you up a preview of the season to come. And of course flat sharlright, let's take it over to Class three. A Christian Academy cut through three a like a hot knife through butter in the playoffs last year, winning the championship forty one to sixteen.
Speaker 2: Over Bell County. Are the Centurions gonna do it again this year?
Speaker 3: No, I'm alright, I've already started some controversy. Three al wants to kill Friday Night Flitch. They've already gotten mad at me.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: I like Belfrey High School's their last year in three A. They've won eight championships under Philip Haywood. You know I love the legendary coaches.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know.
Speaker 3: They've got one of the best offensive lines in the state of Kentucky. And they got a guard, a twenty six guy that I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't get in the Mister Football race next year. His name is Wolford. He's six to three each hundred and ninety pounds. I mean the guy clip saw forties and five point four seconds. He runs the shuttle in four nine didn't allow us sack the entire last season. Benches three forty five, squat's five twenty five power cleans two sixty five. He's a gull of a man. You know. They got Chase Barney back at quarterback. He was effective last year. He threw it more than than Belfry guys generally do. They got Ace Caudle back and he's gonna lead the He's gonna fill the shoes that left by Caden Woolham and Dre Young graduating. But I like them. I like Union County as runners up. That Jaron Johnson is scintillating a twenty five dual threat quarterback. He had a two to one TD to interception ratiow. He ran for two thousand and ninety one yards, and I did say ran for you know, this guy had thirty three rushing touchdowns from the QB slot, average close to nine yards per carry. They got a lot there at Union County. Now like Christian Academy a little, but all my cl centurions, and I know this is a Louisville station, I'm on, but I just want to say that you don't lose a quarterback that threw for over four thousand yards and fifty seven touchdowns and was also your leading ground gainer and think that his LEVI didn't gonna hurt you. I mean what even gonna hurt you? And they lost Justin Ruffin too, who caught nearly ninety balls for nearly fourteen hundred yards and eighteen touchdowns, was a second leading score a year ago. They're both gone. That's gonna hurt any offense. That's gonna hurt any football team. Now they got some weapons returning. They got brother Connors coming back with twenty three receiving touchdowns. Somebody's got to throw in the ball. I don't know who that's gonna be in neither to you. Jeffrey Vanzana's back, and he was the second leading rusher year ago. And they got Maidan Miller and Gary and Hobbs is one of the top tackle men out there in three eight. They're very talented. But you know, it's tough to not lose something when you lose a quarter back the ilk of Cole Hodge, you know, and sure Lex will be in the mix, and so will s Central High School with probably the best running back in the state, and cortest Stone. So that's how I see that shaken out. Well.
Speaker 1: We had a chance to talk with coach Philip Haywood last year Fletch and just an amazing, amazing interview, and so glad we had that opportunity. So I wish them all the luck as they move forward again. Fletcher Long joining us. Fletcher and I are back for our second season talking about high school football in Kentucky. Follow us along on x on Twitter, you can listen along here at on any of our local stations. Here is Fletch and I are going to sort of break down the week that was in high school football each week as we come back. You can find Fletch at Kentucky Prep gridiron dot com and Prep red Zone next as well if you want to follow along there. All right, Fletch, let's take it now too well.
Speaker 5: Four A.
Speaker 1: To be honest with you, Boyle County winning the state championship last year. You also had Bardstown went deeper into the playoffs before getting ousted by Franklin County thirty seven to twenty nine.
Speaker 2: But are we looking at another repeat from Boyle County?
Speaker 3: Uh No, Okay, that's gonna cause a lot of crap too. I think I don't think they win their fifth straight championship. I think that Paduca Tillman's two too talented. Yeah, you've got a quarterback returning in Jack James that threw for over four thousand yards and fifty six touchdowns only six picks. You got DeMarcus Wilson is back, and he's a thousand yard rusher from a year ago with fourteen touchdown. They even had fifteen receptions. You got Martell's carter. Mister football contender. This guy had seventeen rushes, three for touchdowns, forty three receptions, ten for touchdowns, housed five punts and a kickoff to lead the team and scoring with one hundred and fourteen points, and then threw in forty four tackles, a tackle for loss, a forced fumble, two fumble recoveries, and three picks. This guy's already committed to the University of Kentucky. You know, ukn't since al down Martell's carter. He had been offered by about everybody. You got Jimmy Mooney back at linebacker. He's a twenty five guy. He had ninety tackles a year ago, and probably the kicker here is maybe the best player in the twenty sixth class at all of Kentucky. His offensive lineman, Jarvis Strickman. This guy is a total monster. He's about six foot seven, two hundred and eighty pounds and he plays football in a very ill humor. Okay, now they lost Shep Esper last year. This guy made ninety eight pats for them. Again, Uncle Fletcher's tip of the day. You know he lose that placekicker back in hurts you now, Boyle's good, okay, But Boyle's Boyle is lost. Avery Bodner, who had twenty two rushing touchdowns, four tds receiving, was the second leaguing scorer. Their leading tackler. Had two force fumbles, two fubble recoveries, an interception, seven sacks and fifteen tackles for loss. That's a lot of production. You just lost, you know. Sage Dawson is gone. Their quarterback. He signed with a Service Academy Division one FBS. He completed sixty percent of his passes. He had twenty five hundred yards passing, twenty nine t d's. That's a big loss. They lost their top sack guy in Jocks Bixler now and Josh Bixler. Now, they got guys back. You know. They got at Austin Badner, who's Avery's little brother. They've got the Q mont Haven Quizzingberry, probably the favorite to win the Mister Football this year. Preseason, this guy had a variety ways of scoring. He had eight hundred rushing yards, eighteen rushing tds, forty three pass receptions, eight hundred and sixty four receiving yards, twelve tds receiving, he scored two hundred and ten points. You know, he also housed some putts and kicks. This guy had fifty one tackles and four tackles for loss and two fubble recoveries and two forest bumbles and two picks. I mean he did everything. But you know, so Boyle County is going to be right there, They're gonna be good. I like Paul Blazer height and in the third slot, give me the Corbyn Redhounds at number four, and give me tied for fifth. I've got Johnson Central and then I got Covington Catholic. Now you may say, and I can hear you saying it, Where's Bardstown? Where's Franklin? Bardstown was probably the most loaded classification in high school football. Is for a they're just that good. Yeah, you know, And I just got to say that Franklin County and Guardstown, I just don't think they have the talent. I mean, they don't have the tradition of a cub Cat, they don't have the tradition of a Johnson Central, and I don't think they have the talent of those other teams have mentioned. So, I mean, we look at these things. And you know, it's not like we didn't look at Franklin County. We did. They almost made it, They almost got in there, but they just weren't. They're probably a top ten team. We just didn't like them. We didn't like them as top five ish, you know. And another team to look out for, Perry County Central is just making waves in five A in the Mountains. Look out for them. They lost Kaiser Sloan, but they got a young quarterback named Aaron Johnson that's a transfer from breath That. He's a twenty six kid, makes all the right reids, can make all the throws, been excellently trained to play the position. And his brother Bryson Johnson is the top twenty eight linebacker coming up out of the middle school ranks. They call him mister b If they call you mister anything, you're probably pretty good at football. And this guy is likely to be a night one, snap one guy for Mark Dixon and his commodores. Also look out for Taylor County Scott Parky can flat.
Speaker 1: Coach outstanding Fletcher Long joining us now at Kentucky Prep, grid ironm Prep Red Zone Next. And you can follow along on Twitter or Ax and Fletch will be with He and I'll be together each Saturday breaking down the week that was in high school football has move over to five as we're giving you a season preview here Fletch the Bowling Green Purples obviously state champions last year.
Speaker 2: Who do you see shaking out in five? A?
Speaker 3: Well, I really think you know, Cooper almost lost nothing. Okay, they've got Austin Alexander back. You know, they got Cam o'harrowback at quarterback, and he threw for thirty three hundred and sixty one yards and forty seven touchdowns. They got Keegan ma Her back and he ran for twelve hundred and four yards. You know, Isaiah Johnson's back. You know they lost some things, but they didn't. You know, Isaiah Johnson had seventy six receptions for thirteen hundred and seventy two yards and twenty one touchdowns. Was was their league and score. Now they lost their place kicker in Carson Taylor. He converted sixty seven of seventy pats and was five for five in the field goals. That's hard to replace the high school eleven. They lost Jack Loneker, one of their top defensive guys. But you know, they didn't lose a lot. And the only thing I can say that is is Bowling Green lost almost nothing at all.
Speaker 2: Right, right, poor Cooper, You know, poor Cooper.
Speaker 3: They got all this young talent. They were a young team. They made it to the state finals and they played another young team. Deuce Bailey is a Mister Football candidate. He threw for thirty five hundred plus yards and forty three touchdowns last year. Scored eight times all on the ground. They got Jackson Smith back, who scored ten rushing touchdowns. He caught eighteen balls and had six touchdowns through the air. They got Trevy Barber back. You know, this guy is one of the top twenty sixes in Kentucky. Caught eighty four passes for eleven hundred and eighty nine yards and sixteen tds when he was just a sophomore. You know, they got Sweeney back. You know, they got so many pieces back. I also think that that senior high will be good, even though they lost Darien Crow to Catholic. You know, they got Evan Hampton back. He's one of the top recruits in the state of Kentucky. I mean, this guy's being recruited by D one FBS Power five types left and right, and they're all over him, you know. And so he's good as twin brother Elijah Hampton, all so good, one of the top defenders on the team. So they're they're gonna be pretty good. And you know, I think that be looking for South Warren has lost quite a bit. But they had Bryce Button back, you know, who reminds me of Benjamin Button for some strange reason, even though he's not Benjamin Button. But they had Bryce Button backing and Colton Van Camp one of the top players in the twenty five class. It's a tight end linebacker. Brother was a fantastic player and signed with Western Kentucky and Colton may end up at the same place. But I'm this guy had nineteen tackles for lost in six sacks on defense, you know. I mean, they just have so many good players. But be looking for a Madisonville North Hopkins to get in the mix a little bit, you know, or or the big A train should be good again.
Speaker 1: Do you think do you think Atherton can recreate some of that magic from last ye here.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 3: They they got they got some key pieces back, and the main thing they got back. Is is Nino White. You know, Anthony White was recorded by several programs around uh the Commonwealth of Kentucky. He was offered several jobs. I know of one for a fact that he was offered and uh, you know he turned them down and went back to Atherton. And you know, so, I mean he might be the biggest thing they got back. You know, I think Atherton is gonna be there. They're gonna be good.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: They got on them last year in the regional finals at Owensborough. But yeah, you know that's a lot of people lose to Owensborough. Well, but they got a good running back. And I just one more thing, marsh Eith high tower at running back is it is a top guy. Uh be looking for him. He his brother ran for three thousand yards as a senior a few years ago and was in the Mister Football Race and also Canyon Johnson. It was a quarterback transfer from Muneberg Central. Last year, he passed for nineteen twenty five and eighteen tds and he ran for twelve hundred and eighty seven yards. He's one of the best athletes in the western end of the state.
Speaker 1: Outstanding Fletcher Long joining US nobody breaks down high school football in the Commonwealth of Kentucky like Fletcher Long. You can read his stuff at Kentucky prepgridiron dot com. You can also go to Prep red Zone forward slash next to catch all the middle school highlights. And we say that because players are getting evaluated at a younger and younger age, and Fletch is all over this and when it comes to football in the Commonwealth, and Fletch last, but certainly not least the big boys Class six A.
Speaker 2: I know everybody's waiting to hear your take on this one.
Speaker 3: Who you got, Well, it's hard to say. I think it's going to be a Trinity in Frederick Douglas battle. Frederick Douglas is one of the most talented rosters from top to bottom in Kentucky football. Trinity's hard to peg because you'll notice every year that many of their starters and producers are seniors, right but get except for their quarterback who was a freshman last year. So I mean, this guy, Zane Johnson's gonna have a huge season, you know, a huge season. I like Trinity and Frederick Douglas to battle it out. You know, Male's gonna be there, you know, Manuel is going to be there. You know, Saint X is gonna be there. Ballard has lost their coach and Adrian Morton retired last year. I don't know what they're gonna do. Bryan Station has come around under Hawkins and has become one of the best six eight teams in the state. The Riyal Raiders are always tough. I'd look at Simon Kenton was a very deceptive five and five a year ago. The Pioneers were five and five that lost three games by just a handful of points, and so they could also be good. I'm gonna give you a tip on a team that you're not gonna believe. Okay, the Christian County Colonels. They have hired very well this off seat, and they were two and nine last year. They've come off back to back to and nine. They got a defensive end named de Mark Keith Harris. This kid is a stud. He's practically unblockable. Just wrote an article on he Uh. They've got some They've got some good talent at Christian County and if they can get good quarterback and play I put them as a five to eight win regular season ball club, which is quite a turnaround. From back to back two and nine. But they've gotten Ethan Ashley to come coach there at Christian County. You may remember him he built the program at LCA pre Doug Charles that he went to Bullet East and built that program. Uh, but you know he's a He's a proven program builder, a proven coach, a proven commodity. So be looking for Christian County to be just a ton better and we'll challenge for D one district supremacy with with Henderson and McCracken. I really believe that in Dave's County was five hundred ball club a year ago, and you know they're also making strides. McCracken and Henderson really didn't lose much of anything. They were both young ball clubs last year. And Christian County has got a lot of important pieces back too. But I just wanted to mention those guys. We don't talk about the West much in six A because all your good players are in Louisville. Now by West, I mean outside of Louisville. We don't talk about the West much in six A because you've got Mail and Manual and Saint Ex and Trinity and Ballard and you know you got all the super hard teams in Louisville, you know, and it's hard for little bitty Christian County, Kentucky to compete with that. I think they've hired a guy that can bring them there.
Speaker 2: There's nothing wrong with that.
Speaker 1: Christian County, by the way, opening up at Warren East on August twenty third, so they'll get his right.
Speaker 3: The J Allen Builders Bowl, that's a great that's a great bowl game. Looking forward looking forward to uh, I've been invited to that. I'm looking forward to attending that and see what Dad, my friend.
Speaker 1: Oh good, we'll get a full report. Then you can tell us what your first impressions were. And Fletcher Long, you are the best I know. We could talk for hours about this. It is so great to be back with you for a second season of previewing and recapping Kentucky state high school football.
Speaker 2: No One, no one has.
Speaker 1: His finger on the pulse more than Fletch and the good folks over at Kentucky Prep Gridirron when it comes to all things high school football in Kentucky, and now you can see his work on Prep Red Zone. Next, I look at some of the younger talent coming up as well.
Speaker 2: Fletcher.
Speaker 1: I am looking so forward being with you each Saturday morning as we recap the night that was before. Thank you, my friend, and all the best to you. And we'll be talking here in the coming weeks.
Speaker 3: All right, brother, I enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: Well, that doesn't get you fired up for high school football, I don't know what will again, Fletcher along with Kentucky Prep Gridiron. I'm Scott and Streil filling in for the vacationing Nick Coffee over the next couple of days. He is John Alden. We're back after this on Sports Talk seven ninety. Welcome back this Words Talk seven ninety. I'm Scott, that's Geraldine is John Alden. I'll be filling in for the vacationing Nick Coffee over the next couple of days. Is Nick takes some well deserved days off. In my opinion, he deserves more. We are so blessed to have Nick with us. He works so hard to bring you this show each and every weekday, for sure.
Speaker 2: But he'll be back with you on Wednesday.
Speaker 1: Well, it's taken a while, but leave a little doubt that in twenty twenty four, women's basketball is a force to be reckoned with At the NCAA Women's Tournament this year, the final game between South Carolina and Iowa averaged nearly eighteen point seven million viewers, peaking at twenty four million on a combined ESPN ABC telecast.
Speaker 2: According to ESPN, that marked just the first time a women's final out drew the men.
Speaker 1: Joining us is for your letter winner at Eastern Kentucky who left as a leading rebounder and second leading score She's a sacred heart alum and they know a thing or two about who's there and was the head coach at Florida Atlantic before she earned a conference title in NCAA tournament birth she's now had to bring her thirteenth season at the helm of the Bellamant Knights were of course talking about Chancellor Duke.
Speaker 2: Greetings, coach, thanks for taking time to talk to us.
Speaker 4: Scott, thank you so much for having me. Just longtime fan, you know, listen to you a lot. Well.
Speaker 5: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Oh that means so much, coach, Thank you. I appreciate you saying that. Yeah, I just you know, my wife and daughter of Bellamin grads.
Speaker 2: We love Bellaman.
Speaker 1: We love doing things at Bellaman and being a part of that program, and so it's an honor for me to talk to you, for sure.
Speaker 2: And Coach, I gotta.
Speaker 1: Ask you, you've seen plenty of highs and lows in your career. After taking Florida Atlantic to the tournament, you arrive at D two Bellaman and your first season you'll lead them to a winning season after two straight losing seasons. Now just three years later, you go twenty four and four. You get a top twenty ranking heading into the tournament. Then comes the adjustment to D one down the road, What has this ride been like for you?
Speaker 2: Coach?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that ride, you know, winning the championship here you know Division two you know was you know DVC championship was really was really awesome, you know, and but you know, to make the leap to go to Division one, uh and then do it it's hard enough. You know, it's like going and I tell all the telling everybody all the time, it's like, you know, playing eighth grade basketball and now you're gonna.
Speaker 5: Play college basketball. You know, it's that big of a league.
Speaker 4: And so but then do it during the pandemic, that was that was something else. So you know, I tell the girls, you know that we're here. You know, the women on my team that were here. You know, they set that foundation. They had to go through so much and so you know, it was so hard and just to navigate, you know, through that much less try to get you know, wins and wins. So you know it was Uh, they played, they gave me everything they had and they played as hard as they could. And and you know, I've got you know, some lifelong relationship with those kids, you know, on on that on those teams, and you know, they just set up the foundation for where we are right now. And uh, you know, I'm looking forward to what we can do, uh moving forward, uh in this league and being able to you know, go to the tournament, you know, and that's that's a goal down the road, and you know we want to be able to to be able to do that.
Speaker 5: So move forward to it.
Speaker 1: And we're talking with coach Chancellor Dugan women's basketball coach and Belloman University just signed an extension too, going to be around for a bit longer, which I think we're all happy to see.
Speaker 5: Coach really excited about it too.
Speaker 1: I was going to ask you, how did how did that make you feel when the university said, hey, let's let's extend you out, coach, let's keep it here front.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, coming off you know, a ten win season, you know, and it's the most we've ever had. Uh, you know, in in Division one, coming off of a season where you know, you think that you're going to have uh, you know, a leading scorer, leading rebounder, you know, a son freshman of the year her back, but you know, know she's red shirting. So you know, we had to really pivot, uh and and put in an offense, uh in defense that I'm normally not Uh you know, I normally not do.
Speaker 5: Uh. So you know we had to and the girl, the kids bought in. Uh. They they did everything we wanted them to do.
Speaker 4: Uh, and we ended up winning more games than we ever have. So uh, you know that was that was really something that was very special, you know to us. Uh, you know, in the trajectory of where we are going is going up.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you're talking about that, coach, because I wanted to talk to you about your recruiting. You've been hitting the recruiting trail pretty hard and bringing home some local talent, uh, like former Sacred Heart All State selection Aaron Toller. She began her post Doctrie era at UK. Now she's coming back home. How big of a factor is she gonna be this year?
Speaker 4: She's gonna be huge for us. I mean, you know, Aaron, she's such a great kid too. I mean, she's she's doing everything that we want her to do. She's she's playing so hard right now and doing you know, doing great. You know, we're we're not really you know, doing a lot this summer. We're shooting a lot, We're playing some three on three and and you know, just really getting to know each other, you know, because we had four returners off last year's squad. Uh so we've got eight new ones coming in and you know, it's just we've got you know, I'm picking up a kid, you know, tonight at the airport, you know, from from Serbia, and then we got a kid from Egypt coming in at the UH at the middle of August. So you know, we're we're still you know, getting getting to know each other. And that's you know, really kind of where uh what what we're doing right now in the summer.
Speaker 1: And I want to talk about some of that local talent too again, Coach that that you're bringing in and you went to bullet East and got former charge of Anna Rogers. She's a problem member of the Bullet East one thousand club. How big is that to keep some of this local talent at home?
Speaker 5: You know, I think it's big.
Speaker 4: You know, Anna has has come in and you know, she's exceeded all of the coaching staff, you know, because she was hurt last year, you know, and and uh, you know, probably didn't get the look you know that she deserved. But you know, we're we're very happy that she's on the team and you know, just uh, you know, she's probably gonna be pushing, you know, for for some minutes, so we're you know, I think I think everybody on the team right now is just really competitive. And you know, the how how we're practicing right now is really pleasing to me and to my staff because you know, they're they're competing every single day and every single you know, even though we're just shooting and doing that, they're competing in their shooting events, you know, and and just you know, looking down, they got twenty a lot.
Speaker 5: We need to get more than that, you know. So, uh, it's it's really nice.
Speaker 1: Talking with Chancellor Chancellor Dugan had women's basketball coach at Bellaman University on the heels of her signing and extension going to be around for a bit. Is they're on the upswing there at Bellaman and coach you mentioned the player from Servia. I assume you were talking about Mia Melosovich.
Speaker 2: Is that right? Yes, Yeah, okay, I was.
Speaker 1: I was just reading about her. How big of an impact is she gonna make for you this year?
Speaker 4: She's gonna make a huge impact. You know, she was recruited out of the two years at at at school up in Maine, and you know, she was highly recruited out of there, but really chose said that she was not going to play, that she was going to go pro back home, and uh just really late got you know, thinking about it, and she's like, no, I think I want to play. So you know, we were very very fortunate to come in, swoop in and get her.
Speaker 5: So we're we're really excited about her.
Speaker 2: At six too. She's gonna bring a little hight to you too.
Speaker 5: Right, He's got some heights.
Speaker 4: She can shoot, she can take it out the dribble, yeah, you know, she can, she can post up, so you know, she's she's really versatile in what we want to do. Coach that will fit our style.
Speaker 1: Very nice coach, Chancellor Dugan talking with US head women's basketball coach at Belloman University. Coach, let's talk about some things facing women's basketball right now, and let's start off from the obvious. As we mentioned in the open, the ratings were off the chain for the women's National Championship game, pretty much all year for women's basketball. What is driving the surge not only in women's sports, do you think, but women's basketball and women's sports.
Speaker 5: I think it's you talking about it. I think it's the you know, everybody picking up on it.
Speaker 4: You know, I've always said in my you know, thirty plus years of coaching, I said, if you will give us the time that you give the men's basketball, you know, on the front page of the paper, on the front headlines, every every you know, radio show talking about it, every ESPN show talking about it, If you'll give us that time and talk about us like you do men's basketball, you will see the numbers come to us.
Speaker 5: And I think you've seen it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that you know that that you have seen what what can happen when you look at our game because our game is good.
Speaker 5: Our game is exciting.
Speaker 4: You know, yeah, there's not many that can dunk, but there's there's some that can dunk out there, right.
Speaker 5: But you know, I think that you know, basketball.
Speaker 4: Loyalists and purists really want to come see like what we can do, how we move the ball, you know, how we shuit the basketball, and you know, I think that it's exciting brand of basketball that we play.
Speaker 1: And I think in large part too, it's players like and I hate that you lost her this year. That of course, Gracie Merkle, because she when when she was in there and in there as a freshman, she was a dynamic player and Fundo, I mean, she got after it. She scrapped as hard as any of the any of the fellas I've seen. And I think you see that across the board and women's basketball as we've seen in the w NBA. I mean, look how hard they go in the w NBA. That's to me, that's basketball.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's I mean, if you watched, if you know, you watch the w NBA All Stars versus the USA team, I mean that is indicative of where we are right now. Those young players are pushing so hard against Tarra, you know, and and you know, all those girls that have been there, done that, you know. I mean, it's it's incredible, uh, you know, just the amount of talent.
Speaker 5: And I think that, you know, the w NBA.
Speaker 4: Sees that because they're like, Okay, we need to expand, you know, and so they're you know, in twenty twenty six, you know, two more teams are coming in, you know, and that just is going to open up, you know, such a level of competitiveness and opportunities, you know for these college players because you know, you saw even the first round kids, first round picks in the w NBA didn't get picked up on a team.
Speaker 2: Right, you know, so well.
Speaker 1: And I think Geno Arima said it best too when he was talking about this, and he thinks one of the main states for women's college basketball, least for now, is that the ladies stick around at the same school for a while. You're not seeing this in and out of the portal the way it the way it is with the men. And I hope it stays that way. I do too, because you're right, because then you can develop something, some sort of following with the players. And yes, and I think coach that's what That's why I love Bellerman Athletics so much because, as we mentioned, it is such a homegrown organic product, and there's talent in our backyard that's right here. And we saw that when Gracie Merkle was at Bellerman. And when you keep that talent at home.
Speaker 2: People get excited. Look at TBT, I mean you.
Speaker 4: Know, yeah, you know people have seen you know, right, and they want to come back and see it, you know, whether it be at University of Kentucky where it be Velle, whether it be at Bellerman. Yeah, I mean, you know those guys that played you on the TV t everybody came out to watch them and they wanted to see them. You know.
Speaker 5: That's that's why. You know, it's so great to.
Speaker 4: Have like Ashley Harris on our team, you know, right from Sacred Heart, you know, have hopes of war, our team from Mercy, you know, I.
Speaker 5: Mean those kids right there.
Speaker 4: Everybody when we got Hope back here, everybody was like, oh my god, we got Hope coming back, you know. And uh, I mean just her family alone is like a seeding section you know in freedom all so.
Speaker 2: We know that right it would see it to your point.
Speaker 1: We know the Savorys because we go to Saint Martha's, So we know the Savory families from over at Saint Martha when my daughter went to school there. And when you keep these products at home, it gives that that community bond and they're good players. And that's why I think Bellamine is so good for athletics in this town.
Speaker 2: And what you're doing.
Speaker 1: Again, we're talking with coach Chancellor Dugan and we're talking Bellamin women's basketball in the state of women's athletics in general, which are enjoying just some banner times right now. And coach, I do want to ask you, and I l how has it changed the game from a coaching standpoint, Like right.
Speaker 4: It's just you know, I mean, you know, I've gone through and seen everything.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: I never, in my wildest dreams would have thought that the NCAA would have given so much.
Speaker 5: A autonomy two because it's like the wai Wai West.
Speaker 4: I mean, the rules change and update daily to that thing, you know, and it's just it's amazing that uh you know, that is out there and that is a vehicle for them. I mean, kudos to you know, the student athletes, you know, But you know, I would I would have liked to have seen a little bit more control on that, you know when they rolled that out, and I think the incident of a is probably thinking that same thing that they should have had more control over it because they're trying to pull.
Speaker 5: It back a little bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but once that cats out of the bag, I don't know how you can put it back in.
Speaker 1: That's that was gonna be my next question for you, coach. You see any changes coming to that or is it just going to be something coaches are going to have to adapt to.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think it's just, you know, we're adapting to it.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, we have we have an initiative here, you know, going at for women's basketball at Bellaman and and uh, you know, and and so you know we are we're not going to be behind in that. You know, we are going to be on the forefront of that. And you know, so we just want to make sure that you know, we're doing it the right way. Uh, We're we're you know, you know, having conversations with compliance, you know, and making sure that we are doing it the correct way. And but but we know that to attract you know, the players to be able to compete at the division one and go to the Inn Stabla in the Atlantic Sun Conference. Uh, we're going to have to have some money to be able to offer these kids, right.
Speaker 1: Chancellor Dugan's talking with us, spending a few minutes with the belomin women's basketball coach over what's going to be an exciting season for Bellaman in the A Sun Conference again this year and coach after making it into the A Sun Tournament, what do you expect out of the league this year?
Speaker 5: You know, I expect a very competitive league, you know.
Speaker 4: Obviously, you know, Florida Gulf Coast is up there, you know, and that's that's everybody, that's who everybody's chasing.
Speaker 5: And I think we're we're closing in on them.
Speaker 4: And uh, I think that, you know, with the recruits we have and with the turners we have, that we can.
Speaker 5: Make a push to be up there, you know.
Speaker 4: So I'm not going to put a number on it or anything like that, but I think that we can really be in the mix of competing for the for the league title, you know, And that's that's something that you know, I've not been able to say, yuh, you know, in a very long time.
Speaker 5: So I'm very excited to be able to say that.
Speaker 2: Last question for you, coach, for let's go. I know you're very, very busiest pace.
Speaker 1: People don't realize how busy you are even though you're not playing this.
Speaker 2: Time of year.
Speaker 4: It's so funny because people ask me, you know, like when season's over, what what what are you doing now?
Speaker 5: I'm like, this is the busiest part of course.
Speaker 2: All right, coach. The final question for you, aside from basketball.
Speaker 1: If someone out there is listening right now, be it a parent, even a student, and they're asking why Bellaman Because we just saw a major announcement from Belmin come out today, barrier free education for folks who want to come to Bellopman, which.
Speaker 2: Is really exciting. Why Bellaman? Why? Why should they Why should they pick Bellaman?
Speaker 4: You know, I think that number one, you know, because if you play a sport or don't play a sport, that that Bellaman degree, because you're gonna have to fall back on something, whether you're going pro or not going pro in anything, you know, music, whatever, that Bellamin degree is gonna get your resume up to the top of that list. You know, nights get hired. I mean that's that's a fact. I mean you can look at it and all the data. I mean, our kids graduate here and people are clamoring to get our graduates. And because it's it's number one, academics is fantastic here, You're gonna get the education is beyond anything that you're gonna get. Uh, and it's and it's in Louisville. I mean, what else do you want? I mean, this city is fantastic, So bellamant is is Uh is just a jewel up on the hill in the highlands, and it's a safe atmosphere and and uh, it's it's in a beautiful, beautiful city.
Speaker 2: Well said coach Coach Chancellor Dugan.
Speaker 1: Ladies and gentlemen, It's going to be an exciting season. Cannot wait to get out to Freedom Hall. Coach, thank you so much for spending a few minutes with us.
Speaker 2: We really appreciate you.
Speaker 5: Scott, thank you so much. And go nights, Go nights, Coach.
Speaker 1: How blessed are we to have two great coaches like Coach Dugan and Jeff Walls at the University of Louisville to help promote women's college basketball right here in our own backyard.