Speaker 1: KBLA Talk fifteen to eighty.
Speaker 2: Good morning, Good morning, and God bless I'm Dominique Kaprima. This show is called First Things First, and my first thing every single day's prayer, giving, thanksgiving, praises and asking for blessings from God, asking for the blessings of.
Speaker 1: The ancestors and the elders. And let's go. You know how we do it. I hope you do. If you're new here, welcome.
Speaker 2: So it's a Freedman Friday, because that's what every Friday is around here. On First Things First. That means that our one we look local, what's going on on the left coast side of town. Our two we focus on reparations every week, as we have for over two years. We want to be up on it. We want to pass the test. We want to be part of the vanguard that makes this happen for our people locally, nationally and internationally. So we will do that. Doctor Quicku Ramel Smith joins us today and we'll talk about the mental health, the psychological aspect of repair. And then hour three we do well, it's kind of a grab bag. On Fridays, we do a thing, we do something today. I'm really excited because I get to talk to two young people who have just graduated from Saint Mary's. The valedictorian and the salutorian will be here, which I try to bring more young people's perspectives. I think we talk to our own generations a little too much and not enough intergenerational conversation. So Rema tech Le and Sofia Ometo will be here to chop it up with us, and we'll get their views on what's going on in the world and also yours. So you're invited in at eight hundred nine to oh fifteen eighty, eight hundred nine to oh fifteen eighty, you're invited in every hour, and not only that, you can see us on Facebook where we are streaming every day Monday through Friday, and then on YouTube there's a whole conversation in the comments section where my kblad allegation has a lot to say, and you are more than invited. I love to peep out what you have to say in real time as we move through this. So go to YouTube dot com and then KBLA fifteen eighty. We're starting off live today. We're starting off live and in studio and giving you just.
Speaker 1: A full Friday as we celebrate.
Speaker 2: However, many years have gone by since nineteen sixty five. This is the anniversary this week of the Wats Uprising and certainly the tradition of.
Speaker 1: Rebellion.
Speaker 2: I guess you could say of this area, LA will celebrate that right now. Joining us right now live in the studio, we have the pastor of the historic Fame Church. He serves as pastor one of the nation's oldest and mostly influential African American congregations. You know that if you live here, you know that if you track churches. He's an advocate for justice as well as a preacher committed to proclaiming the Gospel, he says while addressing spiritual, social and economic needs within the community, Doctor Timothy Tyler, Welcome, good morning, Thank you for coming in.
Speaker 3: I'm glad to be here and have a little tag along with me.
Speaker 2: Your minders here.
Speaker 3: Yes, the Reverend Judy Wortham is the executive director of our five o' one c three at Fame First Amy Church, Los Angeles. Slack Deck and I'll let her tell you what slack deck stands for.
Speaker 4: Good morning and thank you for having us. Slack Deck is South Los Angeles Community Development and Empowerment Corporation.
Speaker 3: Yes, and together Fame and Slack Deck will be doing some great things this weekend.
Speaker 1: It sounds like it.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, thank you for coming in to Reverend mar them, It's nice to meet you.
Speaker 3: And to her defense, I made her come.
Speaker 1: Killing. I'm not going to ask for the backstory about that.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna leave that all the way Ala. But you know, I think one of the things we think of when we think of Fame is exactly that, the combination of worship and activism.
Speaker 1: Would you call it activism, community organizing justice.
Speaker 3: I called it activism, community organizing justice. And I would even throw the word politics in there. A. It was Fame that gave birth to the first black mayor of Los Angeles, Thomas Bradley, who was a trustee at Fame under the leadership of the then Reverend H. H. Brookings, one of the famous freedom fighters of Los Angeles, and then social justice community activism. Of course, everyone knows the historic cecil Chip Murray, who brought calm to the city during the Ridney King uprising. And so I would say that all of that goes into make Fame a very special place, and I think a very biblical place if we look at the Jesus, who we really serve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I love that you're not afraid to say politics, even in this environment that we're in right now, right, yeah, right.
Speaker 3: It needs to be said more than ever. And if we don't get involved in this politics, we are hitting down a slippery slope based on where we are in our society.
Speaker 1: Reverend Wartham, are we do you see us getting more involved? I mean, I feel like I don't know. I'm not an.
Speaker 2: Expert, but from folks I've talked to and what I've observed that we are moving into an era when the Black Church is returning more to it its roots of help and social justice.
Speaker 4: I think that our roots definitely tell us where we need to go back to. And I also believe that I'm looking at your sign then, apologic, unapologetically progressive. That's who we are and that's who we have to be. The church has been in a place where we can do what we need to do as people of color. Black folk need to get back to our roots, and that's what we're doing now.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And when you say roots, you're talking about all the way to the roots. It's funny. I was I was writing.
Speaker 2: Just a little article that I was writing outside of here, Yes, and I mentioned Biddy Mason, and this friend of mine was looking at it.
Speaker 1: She's from New York.
Speaker 2: She said, well, not everybody knows who Bittty Mason is. And I say, what, Maybe.
Speaker 1: That's an LA perspective. So talk to me.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about Bitty Mason because maybe people don't know. And certainly that would be an inspiring thing for your Friday if you learn.
Speaker 3: Bitty Mason will be the reason for our celebration this weekend. Biddy Mason. We will be celebrating her birthday coming up this weekend at Fame Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Betty Mason was born in eighteen eighteen, and I call her one of the mother founders of Los Angeles back in the early day. Betty Mason is our hero and our hero. She walked all the way from Mississippi to Los Angeles, literally walk literally walked.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I remember reading that and thinking, okay.
Speaker 3: Literally literally.
Speaker 1: Give me a few months.
Speaker 3: I told my wife the other day, you left them ask me to walk, so I don't even like walking to the bathroom. She walked from Mississippi to Los Angeles and that walk was revolutionary because she became an entrepreneur and she founded First Am Church along with other founders who saw the need for a place of spiritual strength while they were while they were while they were fighting for their liberation. And so we're going to lift up, remember, celebrate and help people to know who Bridget Biddy Mason was.
Speaker 1: Well, I want to also just add a little context.
Speaker 2: Here before we move on. Yes, she walked from Mississippi to Los Angeles and became one of the founders and most influential persons in early Los Angeles. But it's not like she was just leaving Equinox Club and going to twenty four hours.
Speaker 1: This is a woman who was enslaved.
Speaker 3: She was enslave and she was she was forced to walk, and in fact, when she got to Los Angeles, they tried to they tried to drag her back to They tried to drag her to Texas and put her back in slavery, and she took the She went to court over the issue and she won the court case, which was phenomenal back then. We can't hardly win court cases now.
Speaker 1: Into right, So she she was enslave when she left.
Speaker 2: Came to California, which we know has its own history of enslaved minifies. If you're unclear on that, just check out the Reparations Task Force reports about twelve hundred pages.
Speaker 1: But they were trying to when she got here. She got her freedom.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she got her freedom, and she.
Speaker 2: Took that freedom to court and tested it. That's something that didn't happen too often.
Speaker 1: Did it.
Speaker 3: No, it didn't happen too often. As I said then, and I want to say it doesn't happen too often now that we go to court.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't even want to try it, you know, I wouldn't even know you report to Seacott.
Speaker 4: And I'd like to add something about Absolutely, I love she was a midwife, so as she walked across the with the wagon train, she birthed all the humans and all the animals that were born all the way across the country. That always just makes me like, wow, you were all that Anta baggageis I have on this dress today because it has black women on the front.
Speaker 1: Its beautiful dress, by the.
Speaker 4: Way, and it's my she will dress, So I wore it onn of her.
Speaker 3: That's why I brought her.
Speaker 1: But absolutely, I mean imagine I had not. I don't know. May I may have read that, but I hadn't.
Speaker 2: Really that detail hadn't sunk in walking from Mississippi to California, you know, leaving a trail of little babies living, you know, safe babies in your wake is pretty amazing.
Speaker 3: And then giving birth to a great church.
Speaker 2: And yeah, well we'll go a little deeper into that when we come forward. Reverend one of them is here, Reverend Tyler is here, and yes it's Friday, not Sunday.
Speaker 1: And listening to the.
Speaker 2: Kids right now, right now, if you're in l A, you know First day e Church. If you're not in LA, you're going to get to know it a little right now. But not just the church. Everything that stands for the church has been was founded in eighteen seventy two.
Speaker 3: Is that correct? That's correct.
Speaker 2: So Bittty Mason born in eighteen eighteen. I'm not sure if we know exactly when she arrived in LA.
Speaker 1: But she ends up winning her court case, yes.
Speaker 2: And then somehow, and this is the part that is not always clear, ends up owning massive swaths of real estate in LA.
Speaker 3: It is amazing. And I was thinking about that this morning. A lot of her real estate is right was right across from what we call Pershing Square today, and there's a mass effort by the community to have that area renamed after bridge of Bittty Mason. But it's amazing because I was thinking, how much would I have to pay if I purchased the property across from Persian if I could today, how much money would that be?
Speaker 4: And also fascinating about that is that she was not just the first black woman to purchase land in downtown she was the first woman to purchase land in downtown LA. That's amazing to me. The first woman.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is amazing. Do we know how she managed that.
Speaker 4: Through her midwifery, Yeah, she saved it her my name became a serious entrepreneur.
Speaker 2: I mean, I know one thing about formerly enslaved and enslaved black folks.
Speaker 1: We were saving, right.
Speaker 6: Yes, people were saving trying to exactly whether we're trying to buy our freedom or buy land or buy you know, a whatever it was.
Speaker 1: We were saving our.
Speaker 3: Back and then if we got it, we were saving it because we didn't know when it was coming back again.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, and some of us are waiting for it today.
Speaker 2: See yeah, yeah, Well, so I mean that at what point does she become one of the founders of the church. Connect the dots if you will.
Speaker 3: Now, Well, at one point I don't know the exact year. Uh. And and we often say she was the founder, but I'm always prouded by my history historians to underscore that she was the primary founder, but they were. There were a group of founders who saw the need to start a worship center.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: And it did not start out as First Am Church. That name evolved over years. Uh. There was the one of the original names, Saint Stephen's uh Church, and so that name evolved over the years, but it was but she along with the group of founders, were the primary prime movers of the worship space that we know as First Am Church today. Uh. And we've over the years in our history, we've always tried to live up to that that high standard that Biddy Mason set for community activism and for entrepreneur entrepreneurial spirit. And it's just I'm very proud to be the past of a church, especially where a black woman is the I call it the patron Saint.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I also think there is something very powerful about the mission of First Church, the position of First Damn Church coming from that ancestor who was, as you pointed out, not just you know, clearly an activist, but also an entrepreneur. You don't buy up downtown l A. I don't care how low the prices were. Those were, you know, you know those were those price those were eighteen seventy prices for eighteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Price equivalent for them. Yeah, for them, Yes, absolutely.
Speaker 2: So the fact that the church has main attained a commitment to that spirit is quite remarkable.
Speaker 3: It has maintained a commitment to that spirit. And in the history of First Ami Church, it is no secret in our community that First Aami Church has had some major ups and some very creative downs at times. But I often say to I've been at First Amy Church as their pastor for ten months now, and one of the things that I remind the congregation is that you have had times in your history when you have been bent, but it is a credit to your history that you've never been broken. And that's the spirit of Bitty Mason. She had bad times and good times, but her legacy is strong, and First Ammy Church is legacy is strong, and the people there, I just I don't think any other church could have gone through some of the years and struggles that First Aami Church has gone through and even be here today. But it just it it amazes me. It oftentimes make it. I pinch myself in church to make sure I am the person that they sent to me, the pastor, and I'm just grateful for their history and for how they have overcome so much.
Speaker 4: And our model is first to serve. And I'm so proud of that because I'm always asking myself what else can we do to be first to serve? People need to be able to look at us, and they do as the place that go to for what they need, and we need so much right now. So it's a blessing to be serving at a place where our primary focus is first to serve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I imagine as a pastor stepping into a spot with the legacy of you know, Reverend Brookings and you know pastor of Murray. Yes, you know, it's a little could be a little daunting.
Speaker 3: Well it's a little it's very dauntant. I grew up in Los Angeles, uh, and so I'm coming back home. I was my last stop. I was in Denver for seventeen years, but I remember growing up in Denver, I was I was brought into the ministry and ordained under Bishop Brookins and Cecil Chip Murray helped to finance my seminary education and he also mentored me during my working on my doctoral education. And so these men were part of my preparation. And so I'm very proud of that, and I honor that as I don't want to say I'm stepping into their shoes, but I'm certainly aware of their footsteps at fame and I'm honored.
Speaker 1: So they planted the seeds for their succession.
Speaker 4: What you're saying, I also think, Pastor, you should share who your mother is.
Speaker 3: So my mother is a longtime Los Angeles activists. She was then presiding Elder Carolyn Tyler Guidry. She worked with law Pack and my mother was the first black, first female, second female bishop in the African Methodist Episcopal Church. And it's two hundred and thirty years uh, and she served proudly in the Caribbean. She served in Mississippi, Louisiana. She retired and uh, she passed away last year. But thank you, But my mother has a strong history here in Los Angeles. And so while I'm dealing with Bishop Brookings ghosts and Reverend Cecil Chip Murray's ghosts, my mother's ghost office show. I needed all the shows up in.
Speaker 2: My office full of ancest es, full of ancest but also your mom, you know, being such a mover and shaker in law pack as well as you know in the church. So it sounds like that combination of activism and church, sort of the classic Martin Luther King Junior blend Is is a tradition in your own family, it's a tradition in my family.
Speaker 3: And also the spirit of my father. Carrie Tyler, you were talking about the anniversary of the wats Uprising in Los Angeles. My parents moved us here in nineteen sixty four, eight months after I was born, and they were coming from Jackson, Mississippi. They were the last people to see Edgar MegaR Evers before he was shot. They were at a meeting with him, and they were the last person to see him before he died. And I think they may have thought that coming to Los Angeles may have been kind of coming to a different place than my dad used to talk about. It was in sixty five when the Wats Uprising happened that he gathered us all in the car and was driving around the city looking for some milk for his babies, and the police pulled their guns out and told him to go back home. And then I think that was when reality hit that you can be in Mississippi, you can be in Los Angeles, and you can still be in danger. And so I have all of that inside of me, and I'm grateful for what my parents gave me because I don't want to live my life in danger and I want to help the people of God and the people in the community not be in danger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we only have a minute here before news, traffic and sports, and we'll keep the conversation going on the other side. So it's probably not fair to ask, but we can do the thirty second version and then continue on the other side, which is how do those how does that mission manifest today? Like what are the programs, what are the services and of course this weekends events that that are the manifestation of that legacy.
Speaker 3: You want to do that in thirty seconds?
Speaker 1: You want to start it? Okay? Started, Okay, we'll finish it.
Speaker 4: So we we have a dermatology services at the Wellness Center. We have a Bitty Mason Community wellness center that I am the proud director of. And in addition to that, we have mental health services, we have have caregivers program. We also have a eight bed garden in the backyard that is flourishing. We have classes that are going to start on cooking. Amazing quilter is that thirty seconds?
Speaker 1: That seconds? That's good.
Speaker 2: We're gonna keep it going because these are important things for folks to know about, news, traffic, and sports. Then more on KBLA Talk fifteen eighty and we are talking with the folks from First Amy Church. But we're talking Biddy Mason. We're talking history. We're talking LA history and service service, social justice activism, the things that First Ammy Church is known for. The pastor of that church, doctor Timothy Tyler, is here, and Reverend Judy Wortham is here. Can you tell me your title again, Reverend war.
Speaker 4: Them executive director of Flack Deck, our nonprofit of.
Speaker 2: An Okay, yes, So we're talking about a lot of things, really the history of Bitty Mason, which is what you are celebrating this weekend. And if you don't know who Biddy Mason is, well now you know you can call in if you have something to say about it eight hundred and nine two oh fifteen eighty. I feel like she should be more known nationally, but even here in La should be on the level of you know, the people we talk about all the time, the Tom Bradley's, the Popicos.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, if it were not for her, I don't think any of those people would have found their their footing in Los Angeles. So we owe a lot of our will, We owe a lot of who we are to Bridgie Biddy Mason and the reason.
Speaker 2: That she her descendants don't still own Pershing Squores. She ended up selling that land.
Speaker 1: Correct, Yes, yes she did.
Speaker 2: I mean I say that because we assume, oh it was stolen from her, you know, she was terrorized, it was taken by eminent domain. No, she actually made a business decision to sell it. So in a way I think of Bitty Mason. I mean, she had a hard life, but she definitely had agency.
Speaker 3: She had agency. Yeah, and we want to hopefully we will be able to get will at least mark that space in a way that will that people will always know that her legacy and her spirit is still there even though she had to sell it, or she chose to sell it.
Speaker 2: Now we were going through the list, Reverend worthm of the kinds of things that we know for Stammy for But some people may think, oh, well that was back in the day, it's not anymore. You said mental health, a caregivers program. I'm assuming you're talking about the Sandwich generation and those folks who are caring for elder family members. You talked about a thriving garden.
Speaker 1: And would you like to add on to that.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, Tyler First, Amy is still known in the community to be that church that that we want to be proactive and not reactive to what happens in our community. We are still interested in making sure that we have part a role to play in gang intervention and violence prevention in our community. I'm oftentimes told the stories of how Cecil Chip Murray would just come out of his office and walk around the neighborhood and make sure everything was in order, and if it wasn't in order, he would grab some church members and he would get it in order. And I want to have that kind of legacy where sometimes I will walk out of Now I need to walk out of my office also because I need to walk We all I need to, but it is it is I see my role as not only to be the pastor inside those four walls, but to be a community pastor, such as the Bishop J. H. Brookins and Cecil Chip Murray. They were community pastors.
Speaker 1: And I have a feeling if we were in Denver, we would know that that is your legacy already. It's not something you just started up ten months ago.
Speaker 3: It was a story.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, for those who you know follow these things which a lot of our KBLA delegation do. The death of an unhoused man named Marvin Booker, Yes this is in twenty ten. This was a battle that you, as a pastor, took up from a social.
Speaker 3: Justice Yes, it was a battle, and the whole church, the entire shorter community Ammy Church, took up this battle when very few people wanted to. And it taught us that sometimes the church has to give leadership. Short as a historical church in Denver, first black church older than the state of Colorado.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, but that I mean, even though obviously we couldn't bring back mister Booker, the family was awarded a sizeable settlement, which was the biggest excessive force yes settlement in Denver history.
Speaker 3: Right awarded by an all white jury in an all, in a very white city, in a very white state. That was telling.
Speaker 2: And I imagine the presence and activism of the church around this had a huge role in that.
Speaker 3: I think it did. And it was a five year process, so it didn't happen overnight, but the church played a major role in that.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's notable too, because there are some folks that like to, you know, not just in churches, in community organizing, in the media, like to run out when a story is so called hot, correct and then leave it and go to the next so called hot story, leaving a grieving family or an impacted community to fend for themselves after the cameras go yes, yes.
Speaker 3: And it happened when when the fight first started, there there were a lot of leaders who chose and churches who chose not to be a part of it. And then when the when the jury came back with their verdict in that case, a whole lot of people all of a sudden became a part of that victory.
Speaker 5: And that's okay, Yeah, that's okay, Well it's not okay, but yeah, it's what happens, right, And so we celebrated with that family and hopefully that opens the door.
Speaker 3: Denver is a rough place. It's just a rough place. It's it's a historical place for black people. It has quite a history in itself. But it's rough. It's not it's not Los Angeles. It is a very small black community. So we we celebrate our victories there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think we should celebrate the mayor too. Yes, but yeah, I actually.
Speaker 2: Spent a little bit of time there. My mom would teach in Colorado summers, and it is quite a shell shock if you're used to I was used to the Bay Area and then lak you know, there's they'd say we're a small in number here, but eight percent of four million is a lot of black people. Yeah, yeah, it's definitely, it's definitely yeah, it's definitely a different energy, even though they say it's a democratic state. Anyway, Another thing I noticed, pastor about you, doctor Timothy Tyler's who I'm talking to in case you're just waking up, is that you actually have your commitment to black lives matter in your bio. Most pastors wouldn't want.
Speaker 1: That, how do you?
Speaker 2: I mean, or they would be if they wanted it, they might be too afraid to put it there.
Speaker 1: Why do you do that and how does that connect to.
Speaker 2: Your way of preaching, your way of reaching your congregants.
Speaker 3: It's important to me because I always, I always marked the period of Black Lives Matter. First of all, I think that it should always be in our history alongside the Civil Rights movement and the Middle Passage, and I think it was a time and a space in our country where but I think it also it was a wake up call to the Black church, because I think Black Lives Matter was the first and maybe the only large movement of black people in our nation where the church did not start it or give leadership to it, or was not much involved in it. And so Black Lives Matter always reminds me that that if the church is not a part of the struggle, then the church is not fulfilling its mission and its call. And so I keep it in front of me so that when I'm preaching, when I'm having a church meeting, when even when we just downstairs eating fried chicken, God and help us, we are always reminded that community is first, and that the struggle should always be that the church should always have its feet in the struggle. And so Black Lives Matter I celebrated and we should be reminded in the Black church that black lives do matter. All lies and.
Speaker 2: Of course the boots on the ground aspect of black lives matter.
Speaker 1: Black Lives Matter. Grassroots was born in la Yes, and yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Do remember the conflict between some members of the church and the organizers. Now the organization has fifty six chapters, and there are pastors involved, not too many, but a few pastors like Pastor Starsky Wilson of the Children's Defense.
Speaker 3: Stark Wizard is my mentee and my student, my seminary students, and so I'm proud of it.
Speaker 2: Or dots get connected, you know, it's hard to talk about your own way of preaching or your own way of organizing. So maybe that's why one of the reasons why Reverend Judy worthm is here. What would you say about what he just said?
Speaker 4: So the reason why I want him to about his preaching is because he is not afraid to tell the truth about what's going on. And so many times we want to, as fallowers of Jesus Christ, we want to sugarcoat things. This man right here, he lays it out. And anybody who I have friends who are not going to church, they are watching him because they hear the truth and we hide the truth streaming.
Speaker 1: Yes, so you can stream.
Speaker 4: The services now, Yes, absolutely.
Speaker 1: I left since twenty twenty exactly.
Speaker 4: But I'm so pleased to hear when they call me and say your pastor's off the chain, and I say, why do you say that? Because he's telling the truth. He tells the truth about Trump, about what we need to do, about how we should not be afraid, how this is. We've been through this before, we can do it again the same God. So we hear that over and over again, and we leave excited. And I don't want to use the word pep rally, but that's what I think about it, right, But we feel like we feel energized and ready to fight the good fight.
Speaker 2: And for the folks in the chat room, Reverend Judy worthm is over the Community Foundation, right, some folks are just assuming that you're.
Speaker 1: At doctor Tyler's life. She might have the last name Tyler.
Speaker 4: They need to meet her though. She's brilliant. I call him Michelle Obama.
Speaker 2: She's brilliant, the first lady two PC yes, yeah, yes, yeah, Well she also made the bio, which I mean and not just like oh and my beautiful ones, not just that.
Speaker 3: You know, her section is probably longer than mine.
Speaker 2: Doctor Juanita Moseby Tyler, who is known for equity and a usion, which is quite a battle right.
Speaker 3: Now, quite a battle, quite a battle. But she's she has weathered the storm. And I tell her to her to her credit in a time when those are bad words. Evidently the people that have relied on her think that she's doing her work well because she has she still continues to do it, and we're very proud of her.
Speaker 2: Indeed, well, we are talking with yes, we're talking with the pastors.
Speaker 1: But don't be shy.
Speaker 2: If you want to call, you're always welcome in eight hundred nine to oh fifteen eighty. Eight hundred and nine to oh fifteen eighty is the number. If you want to say something, you can hop on YouTube at KBLA fifteen eighty. Reverend doctor Timothy Tyler, Reverend Judy Wortham are with me. Betty Mason might be somewhere in here, Yeah, she's here, might be around here too. We're celebrating la we're celebrating activism. We're celebrating the birthday of Bitty Mason. On KBLA Talk fifteen eighty community. But if you need some church Sunday mornings at nine.
Speaker 3: Sunday mornings at nine am.
Speaker 2: Old school, get up, go to church. But also it's sounds like very modern in terms of you can stream it on the website. On the Fame website.
Speaker 3: Is that the first AMI Church Los Angeles website and see how worship service. I'd love to see you in person, but.
Speaker 2: Absolutely Fame Church La dot org. Famed Church La dot org show up at nine at YouTube visit or on YouTube.
Speaker 1: Okay is a streaming.
Speaker 2: And a lot of churches are saying that they're having trouble getting folks in and that people are either leaving the faith altogether, going into a sort of more generalized relationship with God that's not tied to any particular institution or faith tradition, or that they just want to watch online. And we're still in the post COVID era.
Speaker 3: It's an interesting phenomenon. I have met so many people in Los Angeles since I arrived who have introduced themselves, Oh, yes, I'm one of your online members, so I'm like, I'm glad to meet you. Or we've had people now they're they're they're joining the church online so they'll tell me, Well, they were about five people the day and they said they want to join the church, and they were watching us online, and so I have somebody to contact them. So it has forced us to broaden our imagination of how we include people in church. And I'm okay with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you also have people showing up, is what I'm yes, yes, yes, yeah, And maybe I mean I'm sure it's you know, you're you're preaching, but also maybe what Reverend Wortham was talking about is that folks need encouragement right now. I mean people are and it's not just I mean yes, I don't mean to say just, but only in the sphere of religion.
Speaker 1: It's also people need encouragement for the fight right politics and social justice in life.
Speaker 3: A lot of boomers especially, but also young adults. Uh, we're we're living in a time you're where where military people are jumping off of ships, you know, and it's we're living in a crazy time. We're living I call it in the Trump era, and people need encouragement. People need hope, and it's my prayer that they're coming to church and they will come to church in order to look for that hope and to find that hope, and so that puts a heavy oness on us as people of faith to make sure that what we are giving to people is that thing that they are looking for.
Speaker 2: Willie from Palmdale, what are you looking for? You're home with Reverend Tyler and Reverend Wortham and me.
Speaker 7: I thank you for taking my call. I was just wondering, how do you balance serving God and living in the political world.
Speaker 3: That's an interesting question the way that I balance, And thank you for that question about balancing, balancing living for God and living in the political world. I always remind myself that Jesus had to live in a political world. Oftentimes they would come to him, remember when they asked him about, uh give do you give to God or do you give to the government. He was always balancing issues about politics and about religion. And so I realized that I have to do that as well. And the Black Church has always been involved in politics because it was our religion that got us through a lot of political crisis. And so it's not really even a balancing, it's just a natural, natural sinking up of the things that we have to deal with in the world and our goal to get to the other world, and so it comes very easy for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you. Willie appreciate good to hear from you. Will He usually calls in when he needs some solace, so I guess he's feeling feeling us today. So tell me about the weekend. What is going on at the weekend? I assume folks are invited, Yes.
Speaker 3: And it's going to be a very exciting week And it starts today at eleven o'clock am. We're going to gather at the Evergreen Cemetery and we are going to pay homage to the founders of fame, and we're going to lay a wreath at the burial place of Bridget Biddy Mason, and we're going to acknowledge and see where some of her other family members have been buried. And so it will be a day of remembrance and a day of solace as we honor our founder at the place where she is resting.
Speaker 4: And then on Saturday, on Saturday, we have the Bitty Mason Birthday Brunch. It is actually her birthday on Tomorrow, August fifteenth. We will be starting at eleven am going to two pm and it's like a reception to honor her and there as a home that we own that is beautiful.
Speaker 3: Twenty two forty one Home Barks Yes, twenty one South, built in nineteen ten, and the builder of that house is also the founder of the Grand Central Market downtown. It's a historical home that first day and Me purchased and it's going to become the same community house. So we will do our gang intervention, We're going to do a liberation academy stepping in to teach history to adults and children. We're going to do micro business work, and all that will happen at the same community house. So tomorrow we're going to be feeding you and we're going to ask you to feed us with donations yes, so that we can renovate that beautiful We're going to keep it in that nineteen ten spirit, but we're going to renovate it and we've already started working on that. And so we're going to ask the community to help us to remember Biddy Mason's entrepreneurial spirit tomorrow as we celebrate her birthday. And then on Sunday.
Speaker 4: Our Biddy Nation Worship celebration service, where we will asking to have an actress who is going to her whole life is around impersonating Beatty Mason costume and everything. Yes, so she's gonna come in full costume, and the whole service is dedicated to honoring Biddy Bridget Mason excited.
Speaker 3: The famed mass choir will will sing on Sunday close to one hundred and it's gonna be. It's gonna be. It's gonna be a great worship service. I'm not sure if I'm gonna be preaching. I think I'm gonna be preaching Sunday.
Speaker 1: My question.
Speaker 3: Uh uh. They told me. They told me I better preach Sunday. So somewhere between the dancing, the singing, the acting, and the celebration, I'm gonna get two or three words in there. But it's gonna be a great, great weekend. We wanted everyone to come and share it with us.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: I probably shouldn't say this, but I'm gonna say it anyway. Is this the first annual?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 1: Amen? Yeah, you should say it.
Speaker 2: You should.
Speaker 3: I think it's the first time we've done it in this way, in this magnitude. Yes, because why why wouldn't we?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 1: I like that, it just it kind of makes sense.
Speaker 4: I like it.
Speaker 2: Tell us we only time flies when you're on the radio. We only have a couple minutes left. Tell us about how to contact you, track you access the services other than coming this weekend. I mean you've got three opportunities Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Yeah, today today at eleven, starting at eleven.
Speaker 1: At the Evergreens Cemetery.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow the brunch is at.
Speaker 1: Twenty to forty one Hobart, Yes South.
Speaker 3: So we're going to give people an opportunity to experience that space much like it was in nineteen ten and it's a beautiful space.
Speaker 2: And then Sunday, of course at nine, yes for the regular services. That won't be the regular services because it sounds like right right, No, it won't be there and cosentry and honoring of Biddy Macey.
Speaker 4: Yes, the website is the best place to find us, famed Church la dot org.
Speaker 3: That's the best place to get our contact information, to call the church office and to get a handle them on all of the wonderful activities that will be happening this weekend. Now, the premier way to find us is just to get up at about Sunday, get in your car, Amen pastor seventy Harvard Boulevard.
Speaker 2: So why do we have to get up at Can we get up at eight forty three?
Speaker 4: Well, okay, that works my wife.
Speaker 3: Wife, My wife would agree with you.
Speaker 1: We'll take it. We just want to see you just get there. Love to see us get there. Well, it's been a pleasure talking with you.
Speaker 2: Thank you for this opportunity, and doctor Timothy Tyler, thank you so much for coming in. Thank you, thank you, and happy h Biddy Mason weekend, all of us, thank you so much. Indeed, we're talking reparations next hour. Doctor Quaiku will join us and we're going to look at the psychological aspects of our repair. Boy, the ancestors are dancing around here today. It's KBLA Talk fifteen eighty