Speaker 1: The Clippers break in their new home with a victory. They win one ten to ninety six over the Dallas Mavericks in preseason game number four here and Into It Dome. Welcome into your postgame show. I'm out of Oslin. Coming up. We got second half highlight your post game box score. But first let's get back over to your radio voice at Carlo Jmenez. And before even that, as I cut you off, Carlo, let's pause ten seconds your station identification here on the Los Angeles Clippers are your network.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think.
Speaker 1: I guess the joke's on me. Clippers win one ten to ninety six in their first ever basketball game played here at into It Dome. That's a good way to christen things here. They take down the Dallas Mavericks. They're our trival and we are just about a week away from opening night against the Phoenix Suns. Carlo us dig into the box score here and talk about what the starters did. I think you brought up was so important in that third quarter where they were a plus ten the first six minutes after being a negative out there in the first half. They just look to be more connected and much more like a cohesive unit.
Speaker 3: As you put it, Yeah, I mean James Harden finishes the game with twelve assists. He was finding his teammates all day long. The Clippers thirty one assists in this game, Adam, That's going to win you a lot of ball games the rest of the year. But then the other number that jumps out to me is the steals. Aviza Zubas had four steals today. He led the team. James Harden with three steals of his home everybody but Derek Jones Junior had a steal. And for the five starters scoring double figures really looked like a group that found the pecking order and then how they want to approach the game on a night in and night out basis, which I think was the most important thing today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're establishing an identity and they have been throughout the preseason. Once again, they hold an opponent under one hundred points. That is a recipe for success in the NBA. And while level of competition, okay, the two top guys for the Dallas Mavericks were out in this ball game. No Luka Dancis, no Kyrie Irving. The second half is how you wanted to see the Clippers handle a team like this without their stars, and they also were doing it in a new Clipper style that we have to get used to because they getting out and running any opportunity they get in there. It's a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: It is a lot of fun for a team Adam that finished last the NBA and passes last year, last in pick and rolls, they seem like those are two areas in which they're going to shoot right up the NBA leader board this season. They're really moving the rock on the offensive end. James Horden's getting to a ton of pick and rolls, and like you mentioned, fast break points go lore thirty six of them today on fast breaks.
Speaker 2: Just an absurd number from this Clippers team.
Speaker 3: And like we talked about, I think although you might say, yeah, they're running more, I think that's more rest for the starters because now you're not playing a full possession of offense or a full possession of defense because you're getting out, you're running, you're kicking it ahead and three of the guys who aren't running up the floor can kind of take a second, take a breath. It's huge for this Clippers team if you can score quick and not have to expend a ton of energy on the offensive end. You're gonna take it every single time, and I think the Clippers taking advantage of that was massive. Also, Adam points in the paint, sixty two points in the paint. This was a Dallas team that was second in the NBA after the trade deadline in interior defense. They were excellent when they brought Daniel Gafford over and had Derek Lively, the second two of maybe the best bigs in the NBA in terms of combos. Adam and those two, both of them could start on so many different teams, and the Clippers dominated the interior. Why well, because you have somebody like a viatz Zubas who can play back to the basket, who could really go to work over Derek Lively. We saw him with a couple of nice right handed hook shots. And then Kai Jones, who continues to just be so so good for this Clippers team, a lomb threat. He rin RUMs.
Speaker 2: I don't know if he gets tired at him.
Speaker 3: I don't know if Kai Jones get tired, And if he does get tired, I haven't seen it because every second he is running full speed once again, finishes the game with the most minutes at twenty four.
Speaker 2: Did that last game at twenty nine.
Speaker 1: He's an energizer bunny. He's got oxygen left in the tank. With that track and field background, I think his cardio is there and it's real. He can jump just as high at the end of the game as he was early on in the game, and we did see. I thought there was a big turning point because the Clippers, we talked about the starters, they struggled a little bit early on. Derek Lively had a big throatoun on a lob over beats the zubos so Ky Jones comes into the ballgame. They tried the same thing now with Daniel Gafford. He was able to get up and block that shot and redirect it late in the ballgame. By the way, we were still seeing his presence there on the interior. Guys didn't even want to test him. When you set a tone like that, when you establish yourself as a shop blocker, guys are not gonna want to mess with you in the interior near the moat.
Speaker 3: And we say it all the time, it's not the shots you block, it's the presence you have on the inside. It's going to make people take different shots, and like you said, no one was testing Kai Jones today. This Clipper team was so good. Seven blocks, twenty steals, they were everywhere.
Speaker 2: I thought the on ball pressure at them.
Speaker 3: I don't think we've seen the Clippers have that kind of pressure consistently, especially that first team. You think about Chris Dunn, Derek Jones Junior, and Terrence Mann. When did you ever see them not on the shorts of the offensive player, I mean really hounding them every single time. It was a fun game to watch because the effort that Clippers put in felt like a playoff like atmosphere where every possession matter.
Speaker 1: And that's what is crystallized throughout this preseason possession to possession. They are playing with the same level level of effort no matter who is out there. All on the defensive end, shots are always going to come and go. We know they struggle with shot creation at times, but if you generate more possessions by getting turnovers, by getting steals, by closing out possessions, also with getting boards, you can make up for a lack of shooting here or there. And it also is a very difficult brand of basketball to play against. If you get that as your identity. Teams will not want to come in here and go up against the Clippers. Add into a dome a defensive minded team, or you have the wall behind them fueling them. I mean, the energy that can be supplied here and into a dome by this fan base is only going to help this Clippers team out and propel them forward with the brand of basketball they're trying to play.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it really is a perfect storm for this Clipper team. When you talk about their ability to play so feisty on the defensive end and then to have a beating, loud heartbeat around them into a dome, you're gonna feel like you're in the lions Den, hear it, into a dome if you're an opposing team. And that's what Steve Bomer wanted. He wanted this to feel like the worst place to play basketball as an opponent, and it feels that way with the way the Clippers are building this arena. We saw it with the teaser for what the fourth quarter will look like. We saw how engaged the all the halftime and in between timeout things were. And in this arena, Adam, we're at the top and lower bowl.
Speaker 1: We're close.
Speaker 3: I mean, you aren't close wherever you sit in this place, it is pretty cool to see. So interested to see how that continues to show itself throughout the season, how the Clippers can continue to find advantages through this whole arena. On the one thing, though, not having ten twelve thirty games, that might be the biggest advantage of all the Clippers on a little bit of a regular schedule. But really fun to see. This whole preseason has been so fun. We think about the emergence of Kai Jones, James Harden and if it's a Zubat's finding rhythm. Chris Dunn and Derek Jones Junior are showing how they can play. And now we turn the page to the opening of Into It Dome one more against Sacramento and then we start to do it for real.
Speaker 2: It can't come quick enough, Adam can't come quick enough.
Speaker 1: Tip off Thursday night, right back here at Into It Dome. I guess the Kings is at seven thirty. We'll have your pregame shows starting at six point thirty. More postgame coming up. But Carlo Jimenez great call is always see you right back here at home at Into It Dome on Thursday.
Speaker 2: See it Thursday at them.
Speaker 1: Let's go. Coming up next, we'll get to more of your post game box score. The Clippers are victorious in their first ballgame here at Into It Dome. They take down the Dallas Mavericks the one ten ninety six final. You're listening to the Los Angeles Clippers. Audio Network's the sports cars and my Maserati sports car whom all that? So?
Speaker 3: I can't go back?
Speaker 1: Thanks Katy. People are saying the wall translated very well through the broadcast. Let's go. We got a couple more post game segments for you, guys, and and depending on how long my drive is back home, maybe I'll do some Clippers talk after dark. If anybody's still up then this is a lot of fun. I appreciate everybody in here. Clippers karaoke, Yeah, I can't help myself with that song, nas X and Billy Ray Cyrus Old Turn Roll right till we can no more. I really like the reaction from this first game and the fan experience we're seeing here. Now, can I pull up the final postgame box score?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Whatever you're next.
Speaker 1: You start things off with the US.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, maybe a little bit before that, guys, we'll take this till a little bit before ten thirty.
Speaker 1: You guys want me to turn the camera around. Some of you weren't in here pregame, although it's now saved in the live section on YouTube at Clipperstock, So we're a little bit higher up right now. It's a great bird's eye view. You can see all the action, obviously a great call from Carlo. Clippers open up the into a dome in style with a victory with some style points, with some lobs. One ten to ninety six is your final welcome home Clipper Nation, get comfortable here and into a dome as they take down the Dallas Maverick in the first ever basketball game played here. And it was a lot of fun. We'll get into all of it here on the post game show with you till about the bottom of the hour here just had Carlo Jomenez on and I do want to highlight a few players after I get through the box score here. This Clippers team, they shot fifty and a half percent from the floor, just six of twenty two from distance. Wait, they only got up twenty two shots from the outside. Now I have to cross reference that. Yeah, they only took twenty two threes. But they scored so many points of the paint that does track and there were count them twenty nine turnovers by the Dallas Mavericks. They were a disoriented mess here. It did to it dome. Now, they didn't have their two top players. They're two top ball handlers, the guys who have the highest usage rating and one of them that is an old timer, and Luka Nacish and of course Kyrie Irving, so you have to take that into account here. This was not the entire Dallas Mavericks team. They didn't even have Dante x Maxi Kleiba. They were missing guys. But did the Clippers take advantage of that. They did so enough in the second half, I believe, where it was only a five point lead for them in the first half, and the starters actually struggled against some of the backups for the Dallas Mavericks. That was not what we wanted to see. But then as this game went along in that third quarter first six minutes, the starters were a plus ten out there. That was much more encouraging. That's what you want to see step on their throat when you have the talent advantage in your favor. The Clippers, they seem to be much better finally in the second half, and it could take a little bit of time. It could take some time for this Clippers team with this starting unit that I believe is going to be the starting unit, should they not have Kawhi Leonard opening night. This was a bit of a dress rehearsal tonight. Derek Jones Junior in there. Let me go by position here your backcourt was Norman Powell next two? You know what, Norman Powell was still playing a little bit of the three like it was Norman Powell next to James Harden next to Terrence Man with then Derrek Jones Junior the four and of Eatsa Zubats obviously at the five. This is what has been my prediction for a while of what they're gonna go with should Kawhi leonderd not be available opening night, just about a week from tonight against the Phoenix Suns, make it a nine days from now. Did they perform at a high enough level? Well, look, there there's something to be desired. James Harden was three of twelve from the field. I think the positive there is I don't expect that to happen very often where he shoots that poorly. So if he just gets back to shooting like he normally does and gets back to his usual efficiency, you're talking about a completely different ballgame. In the first half, now he still had twelve assists, he still was diming out there, but this was not your prototypical James Harden game. He had a layup early on off a steal by Norm then had a bad behind the back turnover in the second half early in that third quarter where he would steal it back James Hall and loud it from half court almost to a Visa zoobots for an easy layup. Then had a hard and three pointer after a Dereck Jones junior lob from Terence Man in the third quarter that got everybody up and out of their seat. If you're on the wall, you probably were already up and out of your seat. The people at the wall tonight, you got to give it up. They were fantastic. And this was somewhat of a sparse crowd compared to what it will be opening night. It's a preseason game, you understand that, and it was still loud, guys. In fact, I almost felt like when the crowd dispersed when they left then it got a little bit awkward. I realized how much louder it was when they were in here, and then it was like, oh, I can hear myself so well all of a sudden, maybe I'm talking too loud. That's how it felt to me. So it was incredible. It was noticeable here into a dome, and the Clippers did feed off that energy, I believe, with the backups and that second unit in the first half, and then the starters to start that third quarter and to really find a rhythm. Speaking of Kevin Porter Junior led them with eighteen points eight of fifteen shooting guys, I'm telling you that right elbow step back jumper, he hit three of them in this game. But Carlojmenez brought this up with KPJ. He also had six assists, now four turnovers. There was still up and down play. There were still some ill advised shots, you could say from KPJ. But let's just go through some of this. He had a floater off a screen from Kai earlier on the first half. Then he had that tough step back jumper on the right elbow, then went coast to coast at one point, I think midway through the second quarter for a little eight footer, then a lob to Derek Jones, who had a few of them off a steal, then a step back three pointer, and in the third quarter kpjuh he lobbed it to big Zoo Like. Seeing that the similarities between him and James Harden are very much apparent, you can see there are real parallels between those two players, not just because they're both lefties. They both love getting into their bag, they both love ISO basketball, and there are times where it went a arrive for KPJ in that area. There was a possession where he brought it down and put up a three pointer pretty early in the shot clock and kind of said, ah, I probably should have let us set up our offense here and got into some actions and ran a little bit of the offense more. And it was hard on himself, it seemed like. But then you know he got up for an alley from a mere coffee and transition because he also if you didn't know, yeah, he's got a forty inch vertical KPJ is an athlete out there. Another right elbow jumper in the fourth quarter from him, and then the best highlight of the night maybe at least from a shooting perspective. He's falling out of bounds on the far side short corner left base line and gets it to go on a fade away and it's an and one as well. So KPJ is showing off tonight. I think a lot of you guys were impressed and can see why I said. You know, at some point, Kevin Porter Junior, I think he could end up starting on this Clippers team. I think right now it makes sense to bring him off the bench to help lead and playmake in the bench unit and shot create because they just don't have enough of those guys. Some people are saying my tone is shifts on KPJ. You know why because the evidence shifted because what Coach Lou said shifted. When that changes, I'm changing with it. You got it evolve. When Coach Lou said this is when I flipped a switch and was like, Okay, I see how he sees KPJ. Now, when Coach Lou said for us to be successful, he's gonna have to be a big part of that, that's when I said, okay, and I did a deep dive watched up of his defense, which was also pretty darn good. Tonight. There are some mixtapes out there on YouTube. Got to know his offensive repertoire a little bit more of his bag. That right elbows step back jumper is real. He is very talented and you can see the skill level and that is why this Clippers team brought him in. Now we still don't know. There's an investigation going on with the NBA. He could still be suspended to start the season. That would set him back greatly. But it has to be pointed out at this point at least that Kevin Porter Junior, and i'd say two of the last three games, has looked much more comfortable out there. He ended up being a plus six with eighteen points, six assists, but eight of fifteen shooting. And you need another guy that can iso and get a bucket when times get tough against really good defense. Sometimes you just need a guy, or you say, great offense beats great defense. Kevin Porter Junior can hit shots at a high degree of difficulty. So I came around pretty quickly once coach lew said, Hey, for us to be successful, he's gonna have to be a big part of that. But again, a suspension possibly looming that would change things more Clippers postgame coming out at your Clippers post game locker room show live from Into It Dome. Guys, I'll give you the view again after they take down the Dallas Mavericks in our trivel in their first contest, first basketball game, played it into a Dome. What a night, historic night. Shout out to everybody on the wall. We could hear you loud and clearly, and shout out. Most importantly, should be going to Steve Balmer for a dream realized here. He's delivered completely. You will not be let down Clipper Nation with the amenities, with everything here at Into It Dome, It'll be blown away. I still can't believe I'm sitting right here right now. It's surreal because the Halo board is as you would expect right above us, and it's just a sight to behold. Welcome to the best place in the world to watch a basketball game. Into It Dome. More Clippers postgame coming up next right here on the Los Angeles Clippers Audio Network. Hey still here. I appreciate you, guys. William Blast says we need somebody physical other than Zubas kai Jones. Kai Jones is leaps and bounds better than he was his first preseason game. We saw him a little bit against Daniel Gafford. That was his biggest tests so far by far, and the last two teams. It's hard to put a lot into that going up against Portland and before that the Brooklyn nets. That just is but I am very impressed. I was watching him in the layup line earlier. I actually said what's up? Because the ball went flying my way as I was sitting courtside where Steve Balmer is pregame, and he is so locked in focus right now, do I think make a run at the backup center position. I've been saying, you know, there's not a competition going on because he has to get a two way. He's fighting for a two way. Mobamba is on a veterans minimum. He's on the squad. Kai Jones is not in the same position. But man, he keeps playing like this, He's gonna push Mobamba. Who Look. I've seen guys lose their job due to injury before. I'm not saying that's happening here, but Kyle looks great. Clippers win tonight add into a Dome Night one game one preseason game number four for Los Angeles Clippers. The regular season is starting in just about nine days from now October. We're twenty third against the Phoenix Suns. Still nice to christen into it Dome with a victory. Nice to start things off with a victory Ecliper Nation as they take down the Dallas Mavericks one ten to ninety six. Welcome back into your post game show. I'm Adam Osland. One more segment here for you. I was talking about Kay Jones with some of you guys on the YouTube live during the chat as we're also on AM five seventy LA Sports currently. But this was another game where you can see a guy developing right before your eyes. And while there were still mistakes out there, you take them from young players when the upside is this great. He came in and had a block and disrupted in Ali up to Daniel Gafford right away. Now, he did miss a lob from James Harden. I think this is the second time this has happened in the preseason, where shockingly enough, he and James Harden haven't been able to as well with lobbs. But you know what has impressed me about Kai Jones, it's the little thing sometimes forget the lobs, what he has done defensively and also the way he has kept the ball moving on offense. He's making quick decisions. He's not playing with his food, he's not trying a long jumper. He's giving the basketball up quickly to somebody coming around the perimeter. He's finding his guards and then trying to run a little pick and roll, which he still had a ghost screen tonight, where he's got to be more physical there. But there were plenty of good moments as well, plenty to look at. But he had a pass and it didn't end up with a bucket, and I think if it had it would have been a big highlight. He had a dump off in the first half to Dereck Jones Junior, who missed a layup. Might have been late first quarter, and Derek Jones Junior was very good at eight points in the first quarter, but he missed a gimme off of kai Jones dishing it to him. But then he had a block on Gafford, who then got it back and dunked it on him. But then KPJ tried to find kai Jones and you saw a little miscommunication and kai Jones couldn't handle it. A little too much heat on the pass turnover, but then in oop from KPJ to d the first quarter and then in the second half. It was funny when the Clippers were making their run and early in the fourth quarter when KPJ had it going, they weren't looking for Kai Jones, who was doing his thing defensively, and they were a fortress to start off that fourth quarter. Guys, that was I know, Mavericks backups preseason. I don't care in some ways because the Clippers' mentality was we're not giving up any points here, and the Mavericks had I want to say, multiple stints in this game where they went four or five minutes without scoring. But to start off that fourth quarter, the amount of turnovers the Dallas Mavericks had, the amount of bad passes turned into steals by guys like Chris Dunn who had two of them early on. Then KPJ had a steal like the Clippers were in complete Alcatraz lockdown mode. This was this was what we used to call it clamp City. This was wing stop. It's preseason, I know, but I'm telling you the message has been received with the way they need to play, and that to me is what's most impressive building those good habits right now. I don't think Dallas had a bucket till the seven to twenty one mark of the fourth quarter. They had some free throws, but they didn't have a field goal made till the seven to twenty one mark by my count in the fourth quarter. I mean, but toom was in there. The length defensively by these guys has to be scary for the opposition, this Clippers team. They were flying around perimeter, but also secondary rim protectors, collapsing on the Dallas Mavericks on the interior. There were so many positives from the way, and they have played defense so far in the preseason. You look at the numbers, I think they're top two when it comes to defensive rating in the preseason and also top two when it comes to opponent field goal percentage. Those things typically go together. But the message from Jeff Van Gundy, the message from coach Lou of the type of team they have to be, get deflections, get out and run the other way and get some easy points. It's there. They did it in space tonight. I'm not expecting twenty nine turnovers by a team against the Clippers in the regular season. There might be a game where they get twenty off a team. But the Clippers had thirty six fast break points. They had sixteen last game tonight, thirty six. It was incredible. I just can't say enough about the defensive intensity and commitment to bringing it possession to possession. No matter who's out there. Throughout the preseason, teams aren't scoring on them. They're holding them under one hundred points. That's what we wanted to see, right, That's what it would be a little bit more reassuring for a group that lacks the scoring. It's about defense. With this group, it has to start there, and I think it will. All the signs are pointing that way. And you can make up for a lot when it comes to a lack of shock creation if you just get a lot of easy ones in transition. And they have so many guys that can beat you in transition. Now, we were laughing about it during the broadcast, but a mere Coffee missed a couple of gimmes for him in transition. He's one of the best. And after he was fouled on one that could have been an a one grabbed the basketball and he was putting it in a vice gript between his two hands, upset with himself, but there's just so many guys that can beat you in transition on this team. Right now you got Derek Jones Junior, and Terrence Man and Norm Powell with the starters. Then off the bench, Kai Jones is gonna beat his man down the floor a mere coffee. Chris Dunn, I think got one easy bucket. Jordan Miller, can Kevin Porter's junior? Can they just come at you in waves? They are making waves in transition, and I hope you guys are appreciating the effort they're showing on the defensive end, because this is what's gonna fuel this team. They're gonna end up this season the sixth seed, a high playing team, maybe the fifth spot. We don't know the health of Kawhi Leonard. It's hard to project, but it's got to start with their defense, and that has been showcased so far in these four preseason games. The fifth one is coming up right here on Thursday, Clippers taking on the Sacramento Kings. Tip time, same time, seven thirty pregame shows starting at six thirty. Before we get out of here, I do want to thank the Clippers organization and Steve Balmer for giving us the Into It Dome. Welcome home, Clipper Nation. Shout out, of course always to Ralph Waller, Bryan Seaman, Noah Igo, Carlo Jimenez on the call, big brother, Jake Warner, our head engineer here Into It Dome. Now not used to saying that. Katie Newton back in Burbank, our producer. Tonight, the chatters, everybody in here. I'll see all long it takes to get home. Maybe I'll do some Clippers talk after dark for you. Definitely got a show coming up tomorrow. Regardless, Clippers win in their home opener and Into It Dome they take down the Dallas Mavericks with a one ten ninety six victory. Talk to you Thursday night,