Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles Swung Scan.
Speaker 2: Everybody quiet, quiet, I've got some bad news, folks. Christmas is going to be canceled. There's nothing I can do this weather.
Speaker 3: Rudolph, Rudolph, please would you tone it down a bit? I mean that nose of yours, that nose, that beautiful, wonderful nose. Rudolph, with your nose so bright, won't you guide my sleigh tonight?
Speaker 2: It will be an honor sir.
Speaker 1: It's time for.
Speaker 3: Your morning wake up call.
Speaker 1: It is fine. Oh it is five o'clock. Straight up. This is your wake up call for Thursday, December nineteenth. Good morning, I'm Amy King. Just six sleep still Christmas. I've got a Christmas card yesterday Tricia said, you are my wake up joy every morning. Have a magical Christmas. Thank you, Trish. That's so sweet. Did you send out Christmas cards? Well, you're laughing about it. I didn't either.
Speaker 2: Cards.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I haven't gotten to it. I think I'm going to do New Year's cards this year. I've done that before. People like it. Yeah, okay, all right, we got a lot ahead on wake up call. So glad you're starting your day with us. Got our coffee. Of course, only some of us got our coffee. Producer Anna's running around screaming because our coffee machine is broken again. I bring coffee in from home just to be sure. Here's what's ahead on wake up call, which is six days until Christmas. Amazon warehouse workers in sam Bernardino Industry, Elmdale and Victorville have gone on strike. They want better wages, benefits, and working conditions. The continuing resolution to keep the government funded through March fourteenth is dead. President elect Trump announced yesterday he opposes the bill. In a statement, Trump and VP elect jd Vance said Republicans need to toughen up against the Democrats and call their bluff. If a bill isn't passed, a partial government shutdown would happen after midnight Friday. The Fed has lowered interest rates as expected, by a quarter percentage point, but Wall Street didn't react very well after learning that the Fed only plans to cut interest rates probably twice. In twenty twenty five, the Dow Jones Industrial average took a dive, closing down eleven hundred twenty three points, the S and P five hundred lost one hundred twenty seven and the Nasdaq plummeted seven hundred and sixteen points. We're going to be talking TikTok with kfi's White House correspondent John Decker in less than five minutes. They're going to be getting an audience before the Supreme Court. We'll find out what's up with that. Also, ABC's Karen Travers is going to join us at five to see what lawmakers are doing to try to keep the lights on in DC. Of course, that government shut down looming if lawmakers can't get something done. We're going to take our Southern California sleigh ride to a very merry place that's coming up at the bottom of the hour about five thirty five. I think you're gonna like it. And presents are fun, but some can be actually dangerous. What to do if one of your gifts goes bad and maybe hurts somebody. We're gonna be talking with America's leading products safety attorney at five fifty. At six five, it's handle on the news. Everyone is about to find out what an investigation dug up on former Florida Republican Congressman Matt Gates. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Workers at four Amazon warehouses in southern California have gone on strike, claiming Amazon refuses to recognize their union and negotiate fair contracts. They walked off the job early this morning. Amazon workers in New York, Illinois, and Georgia have also authorized strikes. Union official call the action the largest strike against Amazon in US history. Amazon says it does not expect an impact on its operations. That four thousand acre wildfire in Malibu is now one hundred percent surrounded. A red flag warning for critical fire danger was supposed to be in place until six pm yesterday, but the winds died down earlier than expected. That's always good news. The National Weather Service lifted the red flag warning shortly after three pm. Fewer than one thousand southern California Edison customers throughout La County had their power cut through the Public Safety Power shutoffs program because of the high winds. La Mayor Bass has placed a deputy mayor on administrative leave.
Speaker 4: The FBI searched the home of Deputy Mayor Brian k Williams this week as part of an investigation into a bomb threat called into city Hall earlier this year. The LAPD says it ideed Williams as a suspect, but the department has a close relationship with him, so they turned it over to federal investigators. Williams is the deputy mayor overseeing police, fire and emergency management. Michael Monks KF News.
Speaker 1: Republicans in Congress have rejected a bipartisan deal to keep the government refunded. ABC's Stephen Portnoy says President elect Trump called on lawmakers to reject it, saying it needs to be free from giveaways to Democrats.
Speaker 5: The joint statement President elect Trump and Vice President elect JD. Vance blast the bipartisan compromise, saying it contains sweetheart provisions and Democrat giveaways and would see members of Congress getting a pay increase.
Speaker 1: The deal would have kept the government open through March. The government is scheduled to shut down if a deal isn't reached by tomorrow night. Elon Musk, who was picked by Trump along with Vivek Ramaswami to lead the new Department of Government Efficiency, called the spending bill outrageous and Criminal Vice President Harris is returning to la She's said to arrive at Lax late tonight for a visit. The White House says our arrival will be closed to the media, and they didn't release any details about the trip. Harris sometimes spends weekends at her home in Brentwood. She has not been seen much at public events since Lucie in the election to President elect Trump. It is five h seven on your Thursday morning wake up call, just six days ago until Christmas. Let's say good morning too, okay if i's White House correspondent John Decker, Good morning John. TikTok is getting an audience before the US Supreme Court. But before we look forward, let's look back a bit. So let's go over what has led up to this.
Speaker 6: Well, there was a bipartisan bill that was passed by both the House and Senate, signed by President Biden that orders TikTok to either sell the company by January the nineteenth of twenty twenty five, a few weeks from now, or if they are unable to do that, then TikTok would be banned in the United States. Now, TikTok challenged that in the federal courts, the most recent court to hear this case was the DC Circuit Court of Appeals, and they ruled that this legislation signed by President Biden, is constitution it does not violate TikTok's First Amendment rights. The court said that the bill, the way it's written is narrowly tailored and takes into account the fact they say that TikTok poses a national security threat to the United States, and so amy. What TikTok has done is they are appealing that decision by the DC Circuit Court of Appeals. The Supreme Court has agreed to hear this case on January the tenth, just a few weeks from now. It's a hail Mary pass amy. If the Supreme Court does not overrule the DC Circuit Court of Appeals, then TikTok on January the nineteenth will be banned in the United States of America.
Speaker 1: Okay, So let's look then dig into this a little bit. One, does TikTok have First Amendment rights? They're not US citizens, are not based in the US.
Speaker 6: Well, but they are a company, and they're arguing that the people that use TikTok have First Amendment rights as well. And there are as part of this case, it's not just TikTok that's suing the Attorney General Merrick Garland. It's also users of TikTok that are suing the Attorney General of the United States.
Speaker 1: Okay, And with this conservative court, which I would imagine is pro First Amendment, are there any thoughts on what that what the Court might do.
Speaker 6: Oh, it's a great question, Amy, And I never predict what the Supreme Court is going to do without first reading the briefs and those have not been delivered yet by either side, or listening to the oral arguments set for January the tenth. I'll be in the Supreme Court on January tenth, but as we get closer to that date, I will have read the briefs and you can ask me that question and I'll give you a sense about which way I think the Supreme Court is going to go in this particular matter.
Speaker 1: Okay. So, John, if they hear arguments on January tenth, and as you mentioned, the laws set to go into effect January nineteenth, they usually don't come up with a decision that quickly. Are they expected to make a fast decision or would there be a stay in place? Or how could that all shake out or do we even know?
Speaker 6: Well, You're right. It is a quick turnaround in terms of an opinion that needs to be delivered by the Supreme Court by a date certain. In this case, it's January the nineteenth. The Supreme Court is capable of this. You remember earlier this year, Amy, when there was a challenge to a decision by the Colorado Supreme Court to leave Donald Trump's name off the election ballot for its primary. The Supreme Court in January of twenty twenty four. Earlier this year, they agreed to hear this case. They put it on their docket a month later in February, and then a week later they came back with a decision in the matter. The reason being is because of the upcoming primary, they needed to make a decision on that particular case. And so similarly, I think they can turn around an opinion pretty quickly within nine days time after hearing oral arguments on January the tenth, and they must do that. In fact, TikTok's future rests with the US Supreme Court. That's their hell Mary pass. If the Supreme Court upholds the decision by the DC Circuit Court of Appeals, then TikTok is going out of business. It will no longer be an entity here in the US, but.
Speaker 1: It'll still be in other places.
Speaker 6: It will still be another place to kill it. But you know, I think it's such a popular app here in the US. It would have a major impact for those that use that popular social media app. So it has real consequences for sure.
Speaker 1: It'll be interesting to hear the arguments, and I can't wait to talk to you after you sit in on them, because, like, if they're arguing First Amendment rights and the TikTok users are saying, hey, it's our First Amendment right to get our stuff out on social media, could they say, hey, you know what, this isn't the only way you can get your things out. There's Facebook and Instagram and Twitter. There are other avenues. So it's really not violating your First Amendment rights.
Speaker 6: Well, that is certainly an argument, and you have to realize what the DC Circuit Court of Appeal said is that the legislation which passed the House bipartisan support, pass the Senate bipartisan support, and signed by President Biden, the legislation is narrowly tailored. The DC Circuit Court of Appeal said, because they say it takes into account these First Amendment rights. But what is overriding those First Amendment rights is national security concerns. TikTok, a company owned by a Chinese company called ByteDance, and the FBI other intelligence agencies have said TikTok poses a national security risk to the United States. And so if it's a big if, but if the Supreme Court over rules and overturns the decision by the DC Circuit Court of Appeals, they were essential, they would be essentially be saying we know better than the FBI, We know better than these other intelligence agencies as it relates to whether or not TikTok is a national security concern to the United States.
Speaker 1: Okay, so January tenth is the date you're going to be there, and we will talk to you after and hopefully before too, after you've got a chance to see resolutely.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, yeah, absolutely, it's an important case for a lot of people across the country. We're talking about tens of millions of people that use TikTok on a regular basis.
Speaker 1: I know, how are we going to see people do dumb dances and stunts if we don't have.
Speaker 6: Ten times Instagram, Facebook or are other end for sure?
Speaker 1: All right, kafi's White House correspondent John Decker, thanks so much. We'll talk to you again soon.
Speaker 6: Thank you, Byamy.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the story coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A police chase in Orange County has ended in a fatal crash in La Palma. The guy trying to get away from police yesterday was wanted for theft in Fullerton. Pillase say the chase started when a detective witnessed the theft. They say the driver hit a car near Brookhurst Road in Orangethorpe Avenue, but kept going and got onto the ninety one. The chase ended at La Palma Avenue and Moody Street, where the driver crashed into a BMW. The driver of the BMW was a woman in her sixties. She died at the scene. The guy police were after was hurt in the crash. Governor Newsom says he's concerned about the cost of incarcerating more people now that Prop thirty six is in effect in California. It increases penalties for repeat drug and theft crimes a fast track to state prison.
Speaker 5: At one hundred thousand plus one hundred and ten twenty thirty thousand dollars a year that the taxpayers will bear with no real outcome.
Speaker 1: The measure was approved by voters last month, with sixty eight percent in favor of it. It repealed parts of Prop. Forty seven, which which had changed some felony crimes to misdemeanors. Critics argued that gave rise to flash mob style robberies. The man accused of killing United Healthcare CEO Brian Thompson in New York is in court in Pennsylvania, where he was arrested.
Speaker 4: The source close to accused killer Luigi Mangioni, says he's expected a wave extradition.
Speaker 1: ABC's Aer Katirski says that would clear the way to send Mangioni to New York City to face charges for murder. On December fourth, Mangioni was charged in New York this week with murder in furtherance of terrorism. California is making the MyShake app earthquake warning system available to more users. It's now being offered for Chromebook and map computers. The app has also had some of its functions enhanced, like visual and audio alerts and magnitude information. The app provided about fifteen seconds of warning to more than half a million users in northern California when two earthquakes hit earlier this month. I know the last time we had an earthquake, it was here in the studios that we felt and the mice Shake app gave me the warning after the shading shaking started, so it didn't do a whole lot of good. It's not a perfect science, but interesting Today. At eleven o'clock this morning, Gary and Shannon present It's a KFI wonderful life. The whole cruise gathering together to bring you what is destined not to become a Christmas classic, but it's going to be a whole lot of fun. It's well, you know, it's a KFI wonderful life and our very own Gary Hoffman wrote it. I'll be narrating for the group and we hear the Deborah Mark is going to be zu Zuo. Firefighters have been able to hold the lines of the more than four thousand acre fire in Malibu and as Santa Ana wins blew through the Southland. The fire that started a week and a half ago and destroyed twenty homes and other buildings now one hundred percent surrounded. Good news there. Urson investigators say there's a good Vans. Four fires in Woodland Hills are connected. The first fire was ignited along the four or five late Tuesday night. Shortly after that, someone was seen on ring video starting a fire at an apartment complex that destroyed four cars. About an hour later, a fire was started behind a world market, and then a fire burned down a building early yesterday morning behind a vacant house. The Rancho Palacerities City Councils extended an emergency declaration because of landslides. The declaration now goes through February seventeenth. It affects the Portuguese Bend Community Association, Seaview and Portuguese Bend Beach Club neighborhoods. City geologists say the landslide under those neighborhoods is moving about two point seven inches a week. At six oh five at Tandle on the News, LA's Deputy mayor may have an explosive reason for being placed on leave. It's five twenty two and now we're going to say good morning to someone from ABC, Brad Garrett. We thought we were going to talk to Karen Travers about what's going on at the White House, and actually not at the White House, but in Congress with that bill. But instead we're going to talk to our buddy, Brad Garrett. He is our crime and terror analyst, and Brad, surprise, you're with us this morning, which we always enjoy. But I don't have my notes in front of me. So what are we talking about?
Speaker 7: So primarily I think, Amy, we can talk about the CEO shooting in New York. Yes, And mainly I think I talked to maybe you. I talked to people last week about sort of profiling the shooter. This is basically more a profile of his actions, what he did, when he didn't do and you know, just to throw this out on the front end, there's a there's a twenty twenty special tonight on this case, okay, which people might be interested in because I lay out in it a lot of the things I'm going to talk to you about. So, so the short answer is, when you walk into a crime, if you're a homicide detective FBI agent, you immediately start figuring or looking at, well, what exactly happened here and how did it happen? And so because you're in New York City, Amy, there's cameras everywhere, and they quick quickly realized that a they had the shooting, they had a suspect across the street. That's on camera. They have him crossing the street, shooting mister Thompson clean, getting on a bike, going into Central Park, and then disappearing at that point. They figured that part out too, but not initially. But the point being is this, you have a shooter that roams around Manhattan before the shooting, big, big no no. If you're going to go shoot somebody with all those cameras, and he's a smart kid, he would know that. Great shout of him inside Starbucks, shots of him on the street, and then he picks a location. Amy, That tells me a lot. The idea that you would shoot somebody the way he did in broad daylight as people are going to work on the street tells me this is more about making a statement maybe than the murder itself, not that that isn't obviously part of it. And so obviously we don't know what that means at this point because we don't know who mister Thompson is. But as you unfold this, you know, you realize he's a big time CEO. And one of the biggest healthcare companies in the country, and that if you wanted to make In other words, my thoughts are, if I were looking at this without knowing what it is, is this some sort of cause driven behavior, because a professional would never pick a location.
Speaker 6: Like that because he doesn't want to get caught.
Speaker 7: He's not going to have on some interesting, eye catching sort of backpack That tells you he's also not a professional. The way his shooting stance is not somebody that's professionally trained. And his weapon we don't know what it is at that point. Obviously there was something that's not right about it, like is it homemade? Is it something you know it ends up being a three D printer weapon. But all of those things suggest to me that you're not dealing with a professional here. And then using a bicycle. That's fine because it gets him out of New York quickly, but you also could be seen a hundred times spoke on cameras and by other people, something else a professional wouldn't do, and then getting on either getting on mass transit, getting in a cab, whe there's pictures of him getting either on a train or eventually a bus. All of that is high risk, you're going to get caught.
Speaker 1: So so you're saying he wanted to get caught.
Speaker 7: I'm saying that he is so into the cause, he's so into taking on the healthcare industry, that he doesn't really think through Like a lot of people commit crimes and they don't think through about how do I get away with this? He clearly didn't think about that. And you know, and and he creates writings that put him right in the middle of it and admit it. That's all tells me this is a person that's all cause driven. They think all about making a statement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was amazing how much we know about him. And then even like you said, he's making that statement even being taken into the courtroom and he starts screaming at reporters.
Speaker 6: You're right.
Speaker 7: And then if you go let me digress for a second, you go to the other side of this story. So he's having an extradition hearing this morning. There are so many people, they are amys. They're lining up a block around the courthouse to get into this hearing. People carrying signs these are quotes free MANGIONI. One guy's holding up with SONA says murder for profit is terrorism. So I give you an idea what people think about this. I mean, it's, you know, it's this really bizarre, the attraction of three things. Somebody that is attractive, which he is, somebody who takes on a cause, which many believe he has done, and he used violence to do it. Those three variables people are very attracted to, maybe sitting in their comfortable chair in their living room. They're not going to go out and shoot anybody, but they're fascinated with people, and they're clearly are attracted to what he physically looks like.
Speaker 1: Is it common for people to rally around a murderer. I'm trying to think of another case where the public support for a person who allegedly murdered somebody in cold blood on camera in front of a lot of people on a street in New York City got this kind of support.
Speaker 7: Well, I can't think of a murder case. I can certainly think of the sort of the desire to be connected to people who commit violent crimes. I mean, I mean Ted Bundy had multiple people proposing to him and a lot of people locked up. Scott Peterson, I mean, he goes on and on attractive people, Uh are going to attract some you know, obviously not well grounded people, but but it's there. You know, we could probably come up with a list.
Speaker 6: I mean, clearly people who.
Speaker 7: Believe in terrorist act. You can find millions of people that'll support what they're doing. I may not be in our backyard, but they believe that, they believe of the cause, they believe of you know, things seem to change.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Greg Garrett, thank you so much. It's so I'm you know, I'm not a supporter obviously of MANCHIONI, but it is a fascinating, fascinating case and for someone who like you, who does this for a living, I'm guessing that it's just got your interest piqued as well.
Speaker 2: It does, all right.
Speaker 7: Anyway, watch the special tonight, all right?
Speaker 1: What it's ABC, And it's a twenty twenty special tonight. Correct, all right, ABC's Crime and Terror Analyst. God, it's an epic scene. I love that. Okay, Uh, have you do you like to be alone? Will stop crying too much? Solitude isn't good for you. Research out of Oregon State University happens to be my alma mater, and Ohio State University finds intense solitude like hiking alone in a forest, isn't as good as like reading in a cafe or listening to music while you're on your morning commute. The study finds what they call less complete solitude is better at restoring your energy and maintaining a feeling of connection with others. They say the findings are the same for extroverts and introverts. LA Deputy Mayor Brian Williams has been placed on administrative leave. The FBI rated his home Tuesday, the Mayor's offices. The raid is tied to an investigation into a bomb threat Williams allegedly made against city hall earlier this year. Williams has served as a deputy mayor for nearly two years. A man from carlsbat who messaged the fifteen year old girl who killed a teacher and another student from at her school in Madison, Wisconsin, has been ordered by a judge to surrender his guns. Authority say the man was planning his own attack on a government building. It's not clear if he was taken into custody. Actually we do know now he was detained. The Rancho Palos Verdes City Council has extended an emergency declaration because of landslides that'll go through February seventeenth. The declaration affects the Portuguese Bend Community Association, Seaview and Portuguese Bend Beach Club neighborhoods. A city geologist says the landslide under those neighborhoods is moving about two point seven inches a week. We're just minutes away from handle on the news this morning, ding dong. The deal is dead. Lawmakers are scrambling as a government shut down looms just two days away. Right now, let's say good morning to America's leading product safety attorney and the author of defect Safely. Nope, defect safety. I'll get her right. Good morning, done Fountain.
Speaker 8: Good morning. How are you? Thank you forgetting it right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, sorry for getting it wrong the first time. So we all buy presents done, but sometimes we inadvertently make bad choices. So what are some things that people should be looking for when they're shopping for Christmas presents to make sure that they are safe.
Speaker 9: During the Christmas season. Product defects are very prevalent, and the general public has a false reliance on the government to keep us safe. But what consumers need to know is that the products we buy are not really as safe as we believe. We all assume that the products we buy and big stores and online have all been through some rigorous safety testing, but that's generally a false assumption. The vast majority of the products have little to know hazard analysis, and some have very little hazard analysis inside the manufacturing process. So the consumer typically relies on the government to make sure the products are safe, not realizing that the government really relies on the consumer as the first responder, the canary and the coal mine, if you will, to point out product defects in cases. And there are two very important websites that I think all your listeners should know about, Safer Products dot gov and Safercar dot gov. This is where the government wants consumers to report defects so that we can get ahead of the problem.
Speaker 1: Okay, And every year the group Watch, which stands for worst what is it? No, No, if they put out a worst Toys list, I don't want I can't remember what Watch stands for right now, but they put out the ten worst Toys list. So you're saying, basically, these toys get put out and then as people buy them, they start finding out that people are choking on them, or there's a burn thing, or there's somebody or the like. One of the one of the things on the list at the top of the list is a toy cult forty five pistol that looks like a real pistol, but they put it out anyway.
Speaker 8: Yes, you're exactly right.
Speaker 9: And if you go right now to Google and you type in list of consumer product recalls, it will take you directly to the Consumer Product Safety Commission website and you will see hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of products that the manufacturers thought were safe enough to put in a box and sell to the public. But somebody Marry in Colorado or Bob in New Jersey made a report and these things started to come to the surface. And that's a very critically important part of our safety system, and the government really relies on the public to let us know about these things.
Speaker 1: Okay, So don why, because you have dealt with these cases before. Why would toy makers and other companies put these things out knowing that there are lawyers just waiting to jump in if somebody gets hurt or.
Speaker 8: Well.
Speaker 9: Manufacturers are necessarily and obviously focused on profit, especially during the holiday season. You know, a lot of companies rely on the holiday season as a make or break. They make twenty five to forty five percent of their annual revenue during the season, and there's a rush to get things to market. And we all know sometimes when you rush, safety step steps get missed or skipped altogether.
Speaker 1: Okay, And then when there's when it's something that more, that's more than just a light that doesn't light right, like the Grinch would say, it might be time to take legal action. And that's kind of where you come in. So do you take a lot of these cases where somebody has bought something and it turned out to be very dangerous.
Speaker 9: We do a lot of product defect litigation when someone is injured or killed. I get lots of calls all the time for somebody who says, my product is defective and it didn't hurt me yet, but I'm worried about it. And what I tell them and I tell everybody, is please do two things. Go to the Consumer Product Safety Commission Saferproducts dot Gov and report it. Go to the manufacturer and report it. Because this is the genesis of every recall that we see. Every time you open up the newspaper, and see a recall. This is where it starts.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you need to be proactive. And are there any things that you have in your time doing all of this and trying to help people stay safe. Are there things that people should be watching out for, because, like you said, we rely on the government to make sure that they're safe, but they're not. So what can people do to make sure that they're not buying bad gifts that are going to hurt themselves?
Speaker 8: Well, you just need to be vigilant.
Speaker 9: You need to look at things, you know, during the holiday season, small pieces, moving parts, batteries, products with pinch points, sharp edges. You know, what I always tell everyone is that when in doubt, ask a mother. Their safety senses are are very very intense, and statistically, men are the ones who get hurt the most.
Speaker 8: Go figure. So it went in doubt, ask a mom.
Speaker 1: Ask a mom. I love that, Okay, And then you wrote a whole book Defect Safety. And is this all about what we're talking about right now?
Speaker 9: Yes, it is. The book is about two things. Number One, it's kind of a legal guide for lawyers that do this to help them avoid some of the pitfalls and the problems that these cases have, but it's also a great story for the consumer, so the consumer can see how the civil justice system affects everyday safety in the background.
Speaker 8: We never know about it.
Speaker 9: Everybody that's listening right now has benefited through this process indirectly, where somebody had a case or reported a problem and a recall or a product got pulled off the shelf. And that's a critical part of our process. It's almost like the fourth arm of the government, if you will.
Speaker 1: Are you noticing don more and more of these kinds of toys are being put out or because there's people reporting them. Are the manufacturers being any more safe?
Speaker 9: Well, I like to think that the manufacturers are being safe, but there's such a flood of products. They come from all over the world.
Speaker 8: You know, the.
Speaker 9: Government just cannot manage. You know, everybody thinks it's on a shelf, it must have been tested by the government. No, it just doesn't happen. There's just not an ability for the government to do that. So in large part, safety is reliant on the manufacturer themselves. And of course they have budgets, bills to pay, they want to turn a profit, and so the safety level of safety that they assign has to fit within their their earnings and their profit matrix. Some companies are better than others.
Speaker 1: Yeah the almighty dollar. Okay. So where if somebody does get hurt or notices something that they think potentially could hurt them, what are the websites again that they can go and report them?
Speaker 8: Okay, there's two websites.
Speaker 9: The Consumer Product Safety Commission is for typical consumer products, and that's Safer Products dot gov, not dot com Safer Products dot gov. For motor vehicles, motorcycles, cars, things of that nature. There's a separate website called safercar dot gov. Safercar dot gov. Those are the two websites directly to the US government where they monitor these things. And that is really the genesis of every recall that you see. And the thing I want you to remember is that we all see recalls all the time, but every product that we purchase, they say, do you want a warranty on it?
Speaker 8: Okay?
Speaker 9: Why does a product have a warranty defects of workmanship or materials? Because these things are just getting put out to the public and we need to be vigilant and be careful.
Speaker 1: Okay. So if you want to put in a report, you might not only save yourself, but you might help somebody else too, So that's always a good thing, especially during the holidays. A product safety attorney and author of the book Defect Safety, Don Fountain, thank you so much for your time and information this morning.
Speaker 8: Thank you for having me all right, take.
Speaker 1: Care all right.
Speaker 2: Bye.
Speaker 1: Some of San Francisco's famous fog has been turned into water. Researchers from use see Santa Cruz and cal State Universities Monterey and San Francisco say fog harvesting who knew that was a thing? Can have far reaching benefits for a state plagued by drought. They say it's an untapped water resource that can help make communities more resilient during dry, hot weather. The researchers argue there is a significant amount of water that can be collected and stored for future use. Some landlords in La County may soon have to allow pets, even if they don't want them.
Speaker 4: The Board of Supervisors has voted to explore a new ordinance. It would only apply to rent stabilized units in the unincorporated communities. Supervisors Hilda Solise and Lindsay Horvath have said rental agreements against pets are among the leading causes for pets being returned by owners. They say they want to keep pets and owners together no matter where they live. The ordinance may also ban or cap any additional fees landlords would want to impose on renters. Michael Monks KFI News somebody.
Speaker 1: Who bought a Mega Millions lottery ticket in San Bernardino County came really close to hitting that seven hundred and sixty million dollar jackp but didn't quite get there. The ticket sold it Hero Market in Yucca Valley, matched five numbers but missed the megaball. It's not the full jackpot, but the ticket is still worth more than two hundred twenty six thousand dollars. The good news for everyone else, the jackpot for this Friday's drawing is up to eight hundred and twenty five million dollars. Don't forget today at eleven o'clock, if you have to go away, make sure you come back because Gary and Shannon present. It's a KFI wonderful life. The whole crew getting together. I hear Bill Handle has a role gathering together to bring you what is destined not to be a Christmas classic, but it's going to be a whole lot of fun. Hope you'll join us for that. It's Gary and Shannon's It's a KFI Wonderful life. This is KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County, Southland. Weather from KFI. Some areas of fog this morning, otherwise partly cloudy with hies around seventy at the beaches, mid seventies to about eighty for the metro areas in Lan, Orange County Valleys and Inland Empire. Sixties in the Anelote Valley. Low clouds and fog overnight and tomorrow morning, then sunny with highs in the sixties at the beaches in Anelote Valley, lot to mid seventies inland, cooling down into the sixties to low seventies for Saturday and Sunday. It's fifty in Mission via Ho fifty five and Vannes forty nine in La Palma fifty three in Lakewood. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer and and technical producer KNO and traffic specialist Will I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call. If you missed any of wake up call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to Wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear Wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app