Speaker 1: Okay, so start with a mental image. Let's say you're the guardian of a castle, right, I mean, in the medieval model, security was incredibly straightforward. You had thick stone walls, a deep moat.
Speaker 2: A heavy drawbridge. Yeah, that's the classic perimeter defense. It's comforting, it's visible, and in the.
Speaker 1: Modern world it's completely obsolete, totally absolute, right because the castle has well, it's effectively exploded. The treasury is in a public cloud, your armory is on an employee's personal iPhone at a coffee shop.
Speaker 2: And the throne room is a zoom call exactly.
Speaker 1: So the question we're tackling today is how do you hand out keys to a castle that's everywhere and nowhere at the same time.
Speaker 2: That is the fundamental paradox of the modern workplace, and it's exactly why we're taking a deep dive into OCTA Administration up and running. This isn't just about software, it's really about the architecture of trust, and.
Speaker 1: This book it really feels like a manual for that exact shift. It's moving us from securing the network to secure the identity. They're basically arguing that Identity Access Management IAM is the new perimeter.
Speaker 2: It has to be.
Speaker 1: But before we get into the heavy technical lifting, and we will, we have to talk about the name. I've used Octa. I've seen the logo, but I honestly just thought it was a made up tet word A lot of people do.
Speaker 2: But there's a great bit of trivia there that actually explains their whole business model. Okay, So the founders, Tom McKinnon and Frederick Karras, they both came out of Salesforce and back in two thousand and eight, right in the middle of the recession, they made this huge bet that the cloud wasn't just for giants but for everyone.
Speaker 1: And the name okta, that's not random, not at all.
Speaker 2: It actually comes from meteorology.
Speaker 1: Meteorology, Yeah, cloud cover.
Speaker 2: Is measured in units called oktas. It's a scale that goes from zero to eight. Zero okdas is a completely clear blue.
Speaker 1: Sky, and eight octas would be eight octas.
Speaker 2: Is completely overcast total cloud cover.
Speaker 1: So the company's entire mission is hidden right there in the name. They want to provide total cover for all cloud access.
Speaker 2: That's actually pretty clever and it connects directly to their strategy. The book describes Octa as the Switzerland of identity.
Speaker 1: I like that analogy because when you think about the big players like Microsoft, Google, Oracle, they all have identity solutions. Microsoft has untri id, Google has its own thing, but they also have these massive ecosystems they want to lock you into.
Speaker 2: Precisely, Microsoft wants you an Azure but Octa. They don't have an email server or a cloud storage platform to sell you. They are purely the identity layer. They're the broker, so they're neutral ground, right. They have over sixty five hundred pre built integrations. They don't care if you use Aws or Azure, slacker teams. Their only job is to connect them, and that neutrality is a huge competitive advantage.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's the who. Let's get into the how. The book leans so heavily on this idea of zero trust. Now, to me, that phrase zero trust, it sounds like a bad relationship. Trust no one.
Speaker 2: It is cynical, but it's a necessary cynicism. The old castle model assumed that if you were inside the firewall, you know, you plugged an Ethernet cable into the wall of the office, you were trusted by default, You're one of the good guys.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Zero trust just flips that completely says never trust, always verify.
Speaker 1: So even if I'm the CEO in the headquarters building plugged into the wall.
Speaker 2: Doesn't matter. The system verifies you, your device and your context every single time. And the book breaks this down into a maturity model because you don't just, you know, flip a switch and become zero trust overnight.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of people are going to recognize their own companies in these stages. Let's walk through them.
Speaker 2: Sure. Stage zero is fragmented identity. This is the legacy world. You've got on premise, active directory, firewalls, VPNs, and.
Speaker 1: A sticky note on your monitor with five different passwords for five different.
Speaker 2: Sites, the sticky note of doom exactly. Then you move to stage one, unified. I am this is where life gets better. You introduce a single finn on.
Speaker 1: As SSO one log in for everything.
Speaker 2: And you start using basic multifactor authentication MFA. That's the code on your phone, the push notification.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's pretty standard now it is.
Speaker 2: But stage two is where it gets really interesting. Contextual access. The system stops just looking at who you are. It starts looking at where you are and what you're using.
Speaker 1: Give me an example of context okay.
Speaker 2: So you log in every day from London on your corporate laptop. Suddenly your credentials pop up from North Korea at three am on some random iPad.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Stage one security might let that through if the hacker has your password. Stage two, contextual access says, wait a minute, the context is all wrong. Block it.
Speaker 1: It's spotting the anomalies. So what's stage three?
Speaker 2: Stage three is the adaptive workforce. This is high level automation. Your security tools are all talking to each other. So, for example, if your endpoint protection software finds a virus on.
Speaker 1: Your laptop, CrowdStrike or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, it sends a signal to Octa automatically, and Octa instantly revokes your access to salesforce to slack to everything.
Speaker 1: So the laptop basically snitches on itself to the identity provider.
Speaker 2: Yes, no human has to wake up at two in the morning to click a button. The system just heals itself.
Speaker 1: That sounds like the dream. But to build any of that you need a really solid foundation. The book spends a ton of time on something called the universal directory.
Speaker 2: It's the single source of truth. In most companies, user data is just a mess. You've got records in an HR system, logins an active directory, email accounts somewhere else, Universal directory or UD pulls all that together into one unified.
Speaker 1: View, but they don't all come from the same place. The book lists three user types, which seems like a really important distinction oly critical.
Speaker 2: First, you have octamastered users. These are people you create right inside the OCTA admin console.
Speaker 1: So that could be like a contractor who doesn't need to be in the main HR system exactly.
Speaker 2: Second, directory master users imported from a server like active directory. And third application mastered these users come from an app like Workday or Salesforce.
Speaker 1: And why does it matter so much where the user lives.
Speaker 2: Because it determines who has the power to change the data. If a user is directory mastered, you can't change their password inside Octa. You have to change it on the server. It prevents these data conflicts.
Speaker 1: Hight, and that leads to this concept I found really interesting in the book, a tribute level mastering.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's like building a Frankenstein's Monster of a user profile, but in a good way. Okay, you can tell ACTA, Okay, I want the user's job title to come from the HR system because that's official. But the office phone number, pull that from active directory, and let the user update their own secondary email for password recovery.
Speaker 1: So OCTA sits in the middle playing traffic cup, grabbing different bits of info from different places, and then presents one complete profile to all the other apps.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It solves that data fragmentation problem. And once you have that data flowing, you can enable something called just in time provisioning or jiit JIT.
Speaker 1: It's in manufacturing.
Speaker 2: Kind of imagine a new employee starts instead of an admin manually creating an account, JIT creates at the very first time they try to log in ocases they have valid credentials from say active directory, and says, oh, you don't have an account here yet, let me build one for you right now.
Speaker 1: And that gets rid of the bottleneck where new hires are just sitting around for days waiting for access.
Speaker 2: Precisely, it keeps the directory fresh without all the manual work.
Speaker 1: That's efficiency. Let's talk about managing all these users. You can't do it one by one. You need groups. And the authors put a huge warning label on one specific group, the everyone group. It sounds so harmless, so inclusive. Why is it a trap?
Speaker 2: Because it's hard coded. Every single user account in your system is automatically in the Everyone group. You can't rename it, you can't delete it. The trap is when a lazy admin assigns a sensitive app to.
Speaker 1: That group, because then everyone gets access.
Speaker 2: Everyone, the CEO, the summer intern, the external contractor. Oh wow. So if you assign the corporate credit card portal to the Everyone group, you've just given a credit card to your external vendors. It's a disaster waiting to happen.
Speaker 1: So the advice is basically, just don't touch it for anything important, Treat.
Speaker 2: It with extreme caution, use it for low risk things, sure, but never for anything sensitive. And the authors give a great little life hack here for naming your other groups.
Speaker 1: I loved this tip.
Speaker 2: It's so simple it is. It's because octagroups don't have folders or any kind of hierarchy. It's just one long, flat, alphabetical list. The tip is to use numbers to force a.
Speaker 1: Structure, so like zero zero dot all employees, or something exactly.
Speaker 2: Zero zero dot organization, zero one sales, zero two dot marketing. By putting a number at the front, you force the list to sort. Logically, you're basically mimicking a folder structure where one doesn't exist.
Speaker 1: That is one of those tips that only comes from someone who's actually been in the trenches for sure. Now what about push groups? That sound a powerful but also a little risky.
Speaker 2: They are so normally you import groups from an app. Push groups. Let you take an Octa group and force it into an app like Slack or Box.
Speaker 1: So I create a sales group in Octa and poof, a sales channel appears in Slack.
Speaker 2: Yes, but the risk is the sink Octa is the boss. If you go into Slack and rename that channel to global Sales, Octa doesn't know you did that, the link breaks, or worse, Octa sees the name is wrong. It just pushes a new sales group. Now you have duplicates.
Speaker 1: So the rule is if OCTA's pushing the group, don't touch it anywhere else.
Speaker 2: You have to respect the source of truth.
Speaker 1: We've been talking a lot about the cloud, but the book is realistic. Most companies are still hybrid. They've still got that server room with active directory running.
Speaker 2: The hybrid reality. Yeah, companies have twenty years of history baked into active directory. You can't just rip that out. So Octa uses agents.
Speaker 1: Not secret agents.
Speaker 2: No software agents, little services you install on your internal servers that act as a bridge. The AD agent sits behind your firewall and talks to the Octa cloud.
Speaker 1: But doesn't that mean punching a hole in your firewall? Security teams hate that.
Speaker 2: That's the beauty of it. No inbound ports are required. The agent makes an outbound call to Octa over standard HTTPS. It phones home. It's very secure.
Speaker 1: And there's one feature that uses these agents that sounds almost like magic for the user.
Speaker 2: Desktop sso Desktop Single sign on. It's a seamless experience. If you're at the office, you log into your Windows PC and the agent basically vouches for you. When you open a browser to go to Octa, you don't have to type your.
Speaker 1: Password again because the computer already knows who you are.
Speaker 2: That's it exactly uses IWA Integrated Windows Authentication. It passes a cerbero's ticket in the background. It removes friction, and insecurity, friction is the enemy.
Speaker 1: If you make it too hard, people use sticky notes, right.
Speaker 2: If you make it invisible, they'll comply.
Speaker 1: So speaking of friction, let's get into policies. This is the logic layer. The book really stresses that the order of your policies matters.
Speaker 2: This is probably the most commonplace admins make mistakes. Evaluates policies in a top down numerical order. Think of a bouncer with a checklist. Okay, he reads rule number one, does it apply to you? If yes, he does what it says, and then he stops reading.
Speaker 1: He doesn't even check rule number two.
Speaker 2: It never gets to rule two. So if you put a really broad rule at the top that says allow everyone, and a strict rule at the bottom that says block hackers.
Speaker 1: The hackers are getting in because they matched rule number one first exactly.
Speaker 2: You have to structure your policies like a funnel. Specific restrictive rules go at the top, the broad cash all rules go at the very bottom.
Speaker 1: And you apply this logic to what password policies and sign on policies.
Speaker 2: Those are the two main ones. Password policies are what you'd expect, you know, length, complexity. But the book mentions password history, which is important.
Speaker 1: To stop people from just changing the number at the end of their password.
Speaker 2: It stops the winter twenty twenty three then Spring twenty twenty three cycle. You can tell octat to remember the last four or five passwords and forbid the user from reusing them.
Speaker 1: And sign on policies. That's about access.
Speaker 2: That's about access. This is where you grade the log in attempt. You set up risk factors. Is the user on a managed device? Are they coming from a known corporate IP address?
Speaker 1: And based on that you make a decision.
Speaker 2: Right, And the decision isn't just allow or deny. The most powerful one is prompt for factor.
Speaker 1: So ask for the MFA code.
Speaker 2: Correct. If you're in the office on a corporate laptop, maybe we trust you enough, no code needed. If you're at Starbucks on your personal phone, we don't trust the network. Prompt for the code. That's contextual access in action.
Speaker 1: It all connects back to that zero trust idea. It's not a simple yes or no.
Speaker 2: It's a sliding scale of trust.
Speaker 1: I want to circle back to one thing about importing users. The book mentions import safeguards. This sounded like a panic button for admins.
Speaker 2: It's more of a don't get fired button.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Imagine you mess up a query and active directory and suddenly it looks like you just deleted five hundred users. Oh no, if OXTA sinks that change, it would deactivate five hundred accounts instantly, Half the companies locked out. The help desk phones would literally melt chaos. The import safeguard monitors the percentage of changes. You can set a threshold. If an import tries to delete more than, say, ten percent of your users, Octa just pauses the sink and sends you an alert saying, hey, this looks really drastic. Are you sure you want to do this?
Speaker 1: It stops the automation from driving off a cliff exactly.
Speaker 2: Automation is great, but you always need guardrails.
Speaker 1: So when we step back and look at the whole picture, here, what's the big takeaway? We've gone from this fragmented mess to a unified directory covered by eight octas of cloud.
Speaker 2: I think the takeaway is the evolution of the IKE admin's role. In the old days, the admin was a gatekeeper. They started the drawbridge and said.
Speaker 1: No, a reactive job, very reactive, very manual.
Speaker 2: Now the admin is an architect. They're designing a system of logic and policies that basically runs itself. They're building a zero trust environment that actually makes the user experience better while making the company more secure.
Speaker 1: So they're not guarding the castle anymore. They're designing the invisible for four.
Speaker 2: That's a great way to put it, and they're doing it in a way that can scale. You can't scale a drawbridge, but you can scale an identity policy.
Speaker 1: I want to leave you with a final thought to chew one. We've talked about how the perimeter is gone and identity is the new firewall. But as we move forward, identity isn't just about people anymore. The identity of things exactly. We're integrating bots APIs billions of IoT devices. If your smart fridge or your factory robot has a more complex excess profile than you do, how does that change the architect's job. Are we ready to manage a directory where humans are actually the minority?
Speaker 2: That is a terrifying and fascinating question. Managing the identity of a toaster is definitely a topic for another deep dive.
Speaker 1: Indeed, it is. Thanks for listening, Stay secure up there.