Speaker 1: Mather if Maxwell House wheeling the only coffee in the world, Well, your father says so, and your father knows this.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's father knows.
Speaker 3: It's transcribed in Hollywood, starring Robert Young's father, A half hour visit with your neighbors, the Andersons, brought to you by America's favorite coffee, Maxwell House, the coffee that's always good to the last drop. There was once an ancient Greek a lad named Zenobius, who probably didn't know a putter from the front end of a buggy with Yet in the year one fifty four a d he wrote contests allow no excuses, no more do friendships. And if that doesn't describe the average golf tournament, it comes mighty mighty close. Today in Springfield, in the white frame house on Maple Street, we find that things haven't changed a great deal in the last eighteen centuries.
Speaker 2: Customs and costumes.
Speaker 3: May have altered slightly, but people go on forever like this put.
Speaker 4: Mother, the whole plate depins on it. I told them I'd buy a new dress.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, Betty, you had no right to tell them anything like that. Mother. You don't understand. I'm a star.
Speaker 4: I'm Camille and how can Camille die in an old dress?
Speaker 1: You just have to manage, Dear, the greatest opportunity of my life.
Speaker 4: Everyone will be watching me, and I have to die in that old rag. I'll just die, I'm sure you will. Dear mother, you're not even listening. Why can't I just ask him?
Speaker 2: Betty?
Speaker 1: I know it means a great deal to you, but try to think of the rest of us. Your father's having so much trouble with his car. Now if you ask him for a new dress. Oh, dear, I told him to be careful. But what are you doing out there? I wasn't doing anything, Mom, Oh he was. Kathy, You and Bud come in here this very minute, Mother, couldn't.
Speaker 4: We explain to a minute's really sort of an investment.
Speaker 2: Betty?
Speaker 1: Please not now, Bud? What was that noise?
Speaker 2: Noise you mean just now?
Speaker 4: Yes, just now, you mean the noise that sounded like a window breaking.
Speaker 2: Yes, a window broke, Bud?
Speaker 1: Which window? And who broke it?
Speaker 5: It was the garage window and a rock broke it.
Speaker 1: Mother, They've ruined everything. No, I'll never get the dress. What did we do? You broke a window, that's what? And father will be all upset. I didn't break a window.
Speaker 2: Kathy broke it. I did not. You broke it.
Speaker 1: That's as much as I did.
Speaker 5: I didn't even touch the rock.
Speaker 1: Well, it was your golf club, and you told me what to do. I did not. You certainly did.
Speaker 2: I certainly didn't.
Speaker 1: Children, Please you, Father me home soon? He's home now? Kee's Oh, dear Cathy, don't you say anything to your father until I've had a chance to say. Yes, Jim, we're in the kitchen there, you would have let me have the dress. I know he would. Now he never will, and it's all.
Speaker 4: Your fault mine, yes, yours, you and that that junior grade Frankenstein. Mother, Daddy, Please, I will not have you whow Oh, hello, dear, what's going on in here?
Speaker 2: Hello?
Speaker 1: Father?
Speaker 2: Hi? Dad?
Speaker 1: Hello Daddy?
Speaker 2: How do you do? Clara? Lou? And em Hi honey?
Speaker 1: Hello dear?
Speaker 2: As I said before, why the kitchen cann You're.
Speaker 1: Home a little early, aren't you, dear?
Speaker 2: Yes? We uh, we finished a little earlier than usual this afternoon. What's the matter with the kids?
Speaker 1: They look as though they dinner won't be ready for half an hour. Jim, I hope you don't mind.
Speaker 2: No, I don't mind.
Speaker 1: I see so many things came up this afternoon. I've been busy trying to get them straightened out.
Speaker 2: Margaret, Yes, dear, what happened? What do you mean, dear, I'm being steered away from something? What is it? Daddy? I should have known, all right, Kathy? Whose window is at this time? Our's the one in the garage. Well, that's a novely.
Speaker 5: I guess it was my fault too, Dad. I was showing out how to play golf.
Speaker 1: I won't ever do it again. Daddy.
Speaker 6: Well, you don't have to look so solemn about it. You certainly didn't do it on purpose, did you.
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 6: Oh no, Daddy, there's nothing so terrible about breaking a window.
Speaker 2: Just an accident, that's all. Jim asked Margaret.
Speaker 1: Do you feel all right, dear?
Speaker 2: Sure, I feel alright. I feel fine. Why.
Speaker 1: I was just wondering, father, Betty, please, but mother, as long as he feels that way, Jim. I told her quite definitely that it was out of the question. What is father, I have to have a new dress.
Speaker 4: It's for the third act of Camille, and I told a dramatic coach I would And it's only seventeen dollars, and it's just beautiful for when she dies.
Speaker 1: Who the coach, Father, Camille, that I told you just a few minutes ago.
Speaker 2: Just a second, Margaret.
Speaker 6: If the dress is that important and that he promised, well, there's no reason why she can't get it.
Speaker 1: Father, Holy Kyle, it's.
Speaker 2: Only seventeen dollars.
Speaker 1: What's that we like? Tell Janie Leggett, Jim, are you sure you feel all right?
Speaker 6: Never felt better in my life, Margaret. Do you know what I did this afternoon?
Speaker 1: No, dear, But if you want to lie down.
Speaker 2: I beat Jim Hathaway.
Speaker 1: That's fine, dear, if you want to lie down for a while before dinner.
Speaker 4: Oh it's pale dream father, and it's just like this cashio whipped cream.
Speaker 6: Fine, Margaret, you don't understand. Jim Hathaway was a three to one favorite. He was even money to win the whole tournament, and.
Speaker 2: I beat him. Don't you see what that means?
Speaker 6: I'm in the semifinals, skinny, holy child, Dad, no kidding.
Speaker 2: Fifteen years and I finally made.
Speaker 8: It the semifinals with pale makeup in a soft spotlight.
Speaker 1: Oh, father, I'm the happiest girl in the world.
Speaker 8: Yes, sir, fifteen years. And that isn't the best part.
Speaker 2: Do you know who? I have to play, Ed Davis, And if.
Speaker 6: I can't beat him, I'll hang up my shoes.
Speaker 2: Why why?
Speaker 1: Why will you hang up your shoe?
Speaker 2: That's just an expression, Kathy. It means I'll give up wearing shoes. No, Kathy playing golf.
Speaker 1: Gosh, Ded, you might even win the cup, mightn't you.
Speaker 9: I certainly mought, Bud. You should have seen the putts I drop the.
Speaker 2: Day eighteen feet twenty feet. I was the hottest thing on the golf course. If I can just keep it up for two more rounds, Jim.
Speaker 1: I don't like to interrupt, but if we're ever going to have dinner, is it all right if I called Janie mother?
Speaker 2: Yes, dear, come on, Kathy, let's go out in the backyard. I'll show you. And but how golf should really be played?
Speaker 1: Oh boy, I get shown first, Jim. Be sure you don't wander off somewhere.
Speaker 2: We'll be right here, Margaret.
Speaker 5: That'll be fine, Honey, say Dad, we've been using that old five iron you gate.
Speaker 2: Oh wait a second, Bud, say Ed.
Speaker 8: Jim.
Speaker 2: I was just coming over to see you. Ed, did you hear what I did to Jim Hathaway. It was murder. I know they called me for the club. Jim, I've got a terrific favor to ask of you. Okay, what's the matter with you?
Speaker 8: Oh, I've got a cold, the worst cold I've ever had my whole life.
Speaker 2: Hello, Kathy, Bud, I don't get too close to me. I'm a walking gerb Oh, you certainly picked up a pip. Jim.
Speaker 8: Would it be all right with you if we postponed our batch until Sunday?
Speaker 2: Gosh, I don't know ed that's when the finals are supposed to be played.
Speaker 8: I know, Jim, but I'm pretty sure I could lick this cold by Sunday that I could play the semifinals in the body and the finals in the afternoon.
Speaker 2: Oh you can. Can you what happened to me? Oh, Jim, Let's face it. If I can't lick you, I'll hang up my shoes. Wait a minute.
Speaker 8: I wouldn't ask you, Jim, but this is a big thicket my life. I've been trying to reach the finals for ten years.
Speaker 2: I've been trying for fifteen or jib. Let's not be ridiculous. You don't stand the chance as you do it. Oh, I don't, don't I or why.
Speaker 8: I could spot you six strokes aside and still beat you.
Speaker 2: But with this cold, well maybe I won't win.
Speaker 6: But at least I don't go around trying to build up an alibi beati what meaning?
Speaker 2: I could beat you with or without a coal? And you know it, Jib, we've been friends for a long time. That's got nothing to do with it. Golf is golf, and if you can't play tomorrow, you'll forfeit the match.
Speaker 8: Well that's fine, that's fine, after all the things I've done.
Speaker 9: For you, and you're taking the wrong attitude about this whole thing.
Speaker 2: I want to beat you fair and square.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but how can I if you let a little thing like a coal get you down?
Speaker 2: A little thing.
Speaker 8: I'm so weak I could hardly see. Sure, sure, because you aren't trying to fight it, Jib. When you get into the house, fix yourself a hot.
Speaker 2: Lemonade, take two aspirins, and then concentrate jib to yourself.
Speaker 6: I haven't got a cold, never had a cold. I'm too strong and healthy to get a cold. Believe me, it's all in your mind.
Speaker 2: God, bless you, thank you.
Speaker 6: Remember that guy Kua every day, in every way, I'm getting better and better and better.
Speaker 8: Yeah, whatever happened to him anyway, he died, But Ed it works, I've tried it.
Speaker 2: You can talk yourself out of practically anything.
Speaker 8: Yeah you sure, Cad, Well, if that's the way you wanted, Jim, Ed, I'm trying to help you.
Speaker 2: Okay. I'll be there at the body if they have to carry me on a stretcher. And don't forget the hot lemonade and aspirin. That'll help too.
Speaker 8: Thanks Jim, every day and every way you've been a great health See you tomorrow dead.
Speaker 1: We aren't gonna have much time.
Speaker 2: Oh, sure we are. Where's the ball?
Speaker 1: We don't have a ball. That's why we have to use rocks.
Speaker 2: What happened to that practice ball I gave you? You know, the cotton one? There the garage. We'll get it. We can't.
Speaker 1: It's stuck in the back of a big log.
Speaker 5: That's right, Dan. You can't reach it unless we get the log out of the way.
Speaker 6: I've never seen a more helpless pair of kids in my life?
Speaker 1: Is this it? Uh huh? Over there in Beth.
Speaker 2: But I'll lift the log and you reach in for the ball. Okay, Dan, Are you ready? You bet? One? Two three?
Speaker 1: Daddy, isn't it Daddy?
Speaker 2: Well, my hands wants to slip. Let's try it again, Bud ready? Right? One two three? Oh? I don't know.
Speaker 6: Something snapped and I, oh gosh, I.
Speaker 2: Can't straighten up.
Speaker 7: Daddy.
Speaker 3: Maybe your suspenders got stuck, but I don't wear suspenders.
Speaker 2: Oh that's right, I forgot fine son, you turned out to be I'm in more little agony and you have to make jokes.
Speaker 5: I was making a joke then, Yaddy, Oh my back?
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 2: Kathy?
Speaker 1: I know how you can fix it?
Speaker 5: You do?
Speaker 2: Huh sure?
Speaker 4: All you have to say is every day and every way I'm standing upper and upper and upper.
Speaker 2: Kathy. You know what will happen if I take my belt off? Uh? Hi? You pastootball down.
Speaker 7: All over the country, you've been seeing good news about coffee in your grocery stores. Maxwellhouse Coffee featured at lower prices, and these days you'll be seeing more of the same good news, still lower prices on America's favorite brand of coffee, a welcome occasion for everybody. You your grosser and Maxwellhouse too. Now that wonderful good to the last drop flavor is yours to enjoy at the lowest price.