Speaker 1: Dark Destinations may be end Times Night's creature.
Speaker 2: Why would a few more casually struggle.
Speaker 3: Me because of their blood? Will join yours a.
Speaker 1: Radio drama anthology.
Speaker 2: You are wrong how you figure Every mark on Mongo is hunting you down.
Speaker 3: Not you, your partner, he said, I didn't have a ray gun.
Speaker 1: Full cast performances set in the haunted corners of the globe.
Speaker 2: Darkness is coming for you. That's the fear that taunts me.
Speaker 1: Dark Destinations by fatherm Alone at Weirdingwaymedia dot Com.
Speaker 4: Weird Billy Ray was a preacher's son from where his daddy would visit. He come alone one to gather around his daughter talking cousin, really would take me a walk hander.
Speaker 1: To the backyard.
Speaker 2: We go Walkndre. Then he look into my hand.
Speaker 4: Laura knows the massive fact. The only one who could ever teach me what does son of a preacher man, The only vone who could ever teach me what? The son of a preacher man who won't he won't.
Speaker 3: Welcome back Midnight viewers to Anthologies Attack, where we sample the anthologies of every media and genre. I am your host, father alone and with me as always as my co host. The director of Space and detective to Antonio Lapour, how are you, Antonio a Padre?
Speaker 2: How you doing today?
Speaker 3: I'm doing well, and today we are taking a look at one of the most obvious anthologies, one of the most popular anthologies, if not the most popular anthology of all time. So obvious? How did we not see it before? This one came out October the fourteenth, nineteen ninety four, Directed by Quentin Tarantino, Written by Roger Avery and Quentin Tarantino. This is pulp fiction.
Speaker 5: Miramax Films is proud to present one of the most celebrated motion pictures of the year, the winner of the nineteen ninety four Palm d or the Best Picture of the can Film Festival.
Speaker 3: Come on, just getting a care?
Speaker 2: That's that interested in going out of town? I'm sorry, and he asked me about take care of the lot is gone?
Speaker 1: You take care of me.
Speaker 2: Man, just may short a good time. We'll shut you don't get around.
Speaker 3: This is a more testic one.
Speaker 6: I do believe Mark Dallas, my husband, your boss told you to take.
Speaker 5: Me out and do whatever I wanted.
Speaker 1: You can.
Speaker 5: Night of a fight.
Speaker 3: You may feel a slight stak. Try it only hurt.
Speaker 4: It never helps.
Speaker 2: Your hand slopes down. I have to say, play the match as you get found.
Speaker 4: You could have sat the deal a lot of danger on Twitter.
Speaker 2: I'm prepared to start for.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm sorry? Did I break your concentration?
Speaker 2: Get down?
Speaker 7: You got a corpse in a car minus say heading the garage? Take me too?
Speaker 2: Don't you hate that? Hey? What uncomfortable?
Speaker 5: Silences John Polson, Samuel L. Jackson, Uma Thurman, Harvey Kaige, Jim Rock, Amanda Plumber, Maria de Madeiras Bing Rings, Eric Stalks, Rosanna Marquette, Christopher Walker, and Bruce Willis.
Speaker 2: Looking So for Friends Friend looking.
Speaker 5: A new film directed by Quentin Taranteter, Oh, fiction about friends?
Speaker 2: Best, of course you're gonna do that.
Speaker 3: Basically, I'm just gonna walk there.
Speaker 2: What's you mean, walk to Earth? You know, like Caine ful.
Speaker 3: Miserly for everybody surf music Ray.
Speaker 2: Had in the movie.
Speaker 3: No, not at all. That was just kind of the genius part of it. Antonio, What is your history with pulp fiction?
Speaker 2: Well, considering I.
Speaker 6: Was a teenager there getting into college studying film at the time, every other film school nerd this movie was the bible at that point, Like it was the biggest thing since Jesus, Like every dorm room that I went to, every apartment somebody had.
Speaker 2: My very own bedroom had that fucking poster on the wall. Yeah, I am holding right here the published screenplay of pulp fiction Hooray.
Speaker 6: Which everybody had, which is obviously not the screenplay. It's just pretty much a transcription of the liquid. Still, everybody had this. Although she was huge, man, it was it was life. I saw it with my almost girlfriend at the time, joscely and and uhu leu intellectual nerdy girl too, and we went had pine cigarettes and coffee afterwards.
Speaker 2: And talked to like four hours about the brilliance of this movie, like what it did at the time.
Speaker 6: It was it was.
Speaker 2: Revolutionary that normal people saw this kind of movie.
Speaker 6: This kind of movie has existed before, non linear and stuff like that, like it's been there, but it was the first time like suburbanites and city folk and the US went about this thing that weren't.
Speaker 2: From like Greenwich village or something.
Speaker 6: I think it's the first time mainstream audience has got a whiff of like how interesting film can be and how am on guard it can be, at least for the first time since the.
Speaker 3: Seventies, would you say, avant garde was more palatable to them because this was somebody tanking all the detritus that cinema and snobs had turned their noses up at, and he made that accessible but shot through kind of an artistical lens.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, man, It's there's a thing.
Speaker 6: That's something I mean, I've always wanted to strive for with my work, and now that we're starting to make some stuff come out, I've always wanted to strive for being able to bring highbrow to everybody, like, hey, look, this is like this great stuff here that that you're not kind of catching onto.
Speaker 2: Let's have a look at it.
Speaker 6: Let's let's take a look at I don't know, maybe I'm sounding a little pretentious, but I like the idea of everybody being able to enjoy art and stuff that comes may come across this pretentious or Americans aren't gonna get new wave French cinema.
Speaker 2: But if or or they're not gonna get Fellini.
Speaker 6: But if Tarantino's kind of reinterpreting these kind of ideas that these old masters came up with and and putting a pop culture felt into a pop culture lens, I think it helps people like Wow, I can understand complex things.
Speaker 2: Not everything has got to be straightforward. Even George Lucas kind of did that as I'm wearing an extreme fighter T shirt with Star Wars.
Speaker 6: He kind of took stuff from Carosawa and and and and mythological studies by Joseph Campbell and worked it into the most pop culture, mass consumable thing ever. But people kind of understand to hear it was journey out a little bit more. Could you explain it to them in terms of Luke Styel Warner, Oh.
Speaker 2: I got it.
Speaker 3: I think your parallel to George Lucas is the most apt one of all time, because why George Lucas worked was because he and his ilk the movie Bratt Generation, Spielberg, de Palma, not so much Copola, but you know, the the usual suspects. But Lucas in particular said all the B movies. I like the B movies more. Let's make a movies out of those B movies.
Speaker 6: And that's what Yeah, you know, I used to say that when I was in school, and with my friends said, yeah, that's a great way to look at it.
Speaker 2: And I'll argue the Coplat well he made he took the B move The Gangster Movie was a bing movie, maybe a B plus movie because Warner Brothers had made a bazillion of them. But you know, and he made Godfather. But yeah, it's definitely the elevation of the.
Speaker 6: B movie into into into the mainstream making making art out of what people consider trash. Even Dick Donner when he made Superman, his whole point was, I want to make something like this, like a John Ford movie, not not George Reeves flying around on waters. I want you to believe this guy's flying. I don't want Superman who look foolish. I want him to look like an American ICoD. And you see all the Kansas stuff in that movie, John Fortone, I.
Speaker 3: Think we can both agree that after nineteen ninety four, the cinema landscape was sort of irrevocable, irrevocably changed by pulp fiction.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, for for for good and bad.
Speaker 6: Because for all the positive and influence from that, movies like Train Spotting Out, which I think is the other great masterpiece of the on the nineties, on the mid nineties, there.
Speaker 2: You spawned a lot of lave Mass wannabes. Though there's a lot of eight Heads and Duffel bands, in two Days in the Valleys, and all of those movies.
Speaker 6: That I'll try to take the ensemble and here's some wacky crooks and we're in la and here were and.
Speaker 2: Only pulp section pulls it off.
Speaker 3: One of those films that you're mentioning was One Night at mccool's, who my late wife Jessica believed to be the worst movie ever made, just period. Is that the one that he didn't know was that the one that the Tarantino no you're thinking, no, you're thinking of destiny turns on the radio. Okay, no, no, no, this one is with Michael Douglas. It is a bald faced Clinton Tarantino rip off a film. There were a lot of movies that came out at the same time that all shared the same sort of seventies exploitation film as high art aesthetic, and because Tarantino broke through nobody's business, everyone kind of became an imitator of his, which was not true for the sort of firs the at least the early half of the nineties. I don't think anyone was trying to ape his style, but certainly in the latter half of the nineties. Oh yeah, it was a waste Land of Tarantino clones.
Speaker 2: Was that Suice Kings and Oof and things that do in Denver while you're dead?
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, you take that back. No, I no, I read that one long before pulp fiction. No, no, it's the meme play. The screenplay was was this unproduced spec script that was being passed around Hollywood when I when I had first there, I moved to la in nineteen ninety one. Here's my tent. Here's my experience with pulp fiction. I moved to Los Angeles when I'm in nineteen ninety one, and I got a job at a movie theater in Cinta, Monica. It was a two screen house, an art house cinema calendar at first, and then we started showing new releases because independent films sort of started getting real big and Kim. One of the first movies I showed as a projectionist was A Reservoir Box. So I've seen that movie seven million times. If it was on the screen I was watching, I played the soundtrack in between, like I read the screen. And at this point I had enough friends in the industry. Yeah, I had enough friends in the industry. Then I could get. I was getting screenplays that the screenplays that you heard were being passed around. I was so one of them I got was Things to Do in Denver when You're Dead, which I maintain could never be made into the movie that the script promises because the script was so fucking good.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, tells that the movie was kind of like up and down, up and down. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And the problem there is the direction, because that cast is really fucking good and the writing comes through in a lot of ways, but there's just something off about the film.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you can't beat the Iron Godzilla. You are Japan, No man, Jean Williams of the.
Speaker 3: Best performance, critical Billy critical.
Speaker 2: Bill, that's right. Everybody then had the names gentlemen?
Speaker 6: Was it?
Speaker 2: What was his name? Gentleman?
Speaker 1: To me?
Speaker 3: The saint, that's right. So one of the scripts I was able to read was Pulp Fiction. I got it about a year before the movie came out. Wow, So I was primed for the movie. And oh another one I got to read before it was made was Natural Born Killers, And I have a whole story about that. Well we can talk about on another podcast. But so I basically if Tarantina had a script out there. I was able to get my grubby hands on them, including True Romance, which this was still pre True Romance. On the last day we were showing Reservoir Dogs, Tarantino and Alison Anders came to watch it, and I came downstairs because during the run of the film, every one of the Reservoir Dogs had stopped by to watch the movie, and they all had signed the Reservoir Dogs poster. So I brought it down for Tarantino to sign, and he did and then was standing with me alone in the lobby for a while and thanked me for all the TLC on keeping the print looking as good as it did, and then we talked about that for a little while, and then I told him that I had read Natural Born Killers, and he was sort of taken aback a while, you huh huh, like how did you read that? But then immediately went into what do you think? And it was his script, so it wasn't what we ended up getting, the only sort of bastearized version. I liked his script a lot. If it had been made as like a two million dollar independent movie, it would have been fucking awesome and not that bloated sort of student film that we got.
Speaker 2: A student though. It pretty good.
Speaker 3: So I liked that pulp fiction script a lot. I liked his movie a lot. And then I saw the movie and I was not as knocked out by the movie as everybody else. I liked the script a lot more. And my problem with it was, and I think my problem with most popular media is I have a problem with the fan base less than less than the art itself.
Speaker 2: Sure, I can, I can. I can understand that.
Speaker 3: Because you can't imagine the frenzy in Los Angeles time for Quentin Tarantino and for for this fractured timeline that he invented some And the thing of it was, he didn't fracture any timeline if you were to take if you take pulp fiction and string it chronologically, it's not really much of a movie at all. If you take the movie The Killing, Stanley Kubrick's The Killing, which is a fractured timeline, tells a story all out of order. If you if you cut that into a linear timeline, it's a fucking great movie. Still, because that's a movie. What this movie is and why we're getting to discuss it here, is it's an anthology it's started with some characters that sort of overlap, so I was less inclined to think this movie was as genius as everyone was sort of making it out to be like on that level, and then on another level, it also came to light that Quentin maybe didn't do all of writing on this movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how how much do you think is Avery in that?
Speaker 6: The legend is always that Avery just came up with a little bit of the of the Butch story and on that and then that was everything else is quite I don't know, I can't I couldn't tell you.
Speaker 2: I feel like there's got to be more Roger Avery.
Speaker 3: And though well let's get into that, shall we. Yeah, Tarantino and Avery buddies at video archives constantly.
Speaker 2: Before we go on. What did you tell him? What did you think about Natural Warren Killers? Would you tell him what about that?
Speaker 3: I told him I thought it was really good. And then at the time, the rumor of casting was Michael Madson and Juliette Lewis, and he was really excited about Juliette Lewis, but he thought Michael mat And might not work out. But it's basically should be him. Even though he was at the time he was no longer going to do the movie, and then I told him I'm really looking forward to pulp fiction. And then that sort of threw him, put him aback a little bit again, and he said, oh, that that one's going to be really good, and at which point Alison Anders rejoined us, and then we talked about gas Stood Lodging because that had also come out earlier in there, and I just thought it was fucking fantastically she did.
Speaker 2: She did greats in my heart right, Yes, that's a.
Speaker 3: Great movie man, Yeah, me via Loka and yeah, yeah, she's fantastic. Yeah, So yeah, it was. Yeah, it was a weird sort of interaction with them. So then yeah, and then of course I went in some pulp fiction just like everybody else, and then I saw it again. But I sort of treasured the script more than the.
Speaker 6: Interesting What what was it about the script that you liked more, that worked more for you on the page and on the street.
Speaker 3: It wasn't as clumsily directed as we ended up getting.
Speaker 6: Wow, oh yeah, it's on the second movie. First time with well, I mean, he had he had actors on of No on Reservoir.
Speaker 3: Dogs, Reservoir Dogs. Rizvore Dogs is a stage plane. It's really it is. It's easy to shoot that movie. Yeah, and that the artistic flourish of moving the camera away from mister Blonde as he's taking the era off was about as artistic as that movie got. Keep going new wave wild here in pulp fiction, which is great. It's great to bring a sort of European sensibility to American audiences, especially.
Speaker 2: I'm like eighteen.
Speaker 6: Nineteen years older when that came out, so for me it was like I hadn't never seen anything like it. I hadn't gotten exposed to anything European. Really pretty good at the video store at that point, but everything was guys the movie brats or orson Wells movies or something like that. I hadn't gotten into any.
Speaker 2: Any European guys.
Speaker 6: And even until his day after, I like Felidi though I do happens just even half is one of the coolest things ever made.
Speaker 2: And of course heavily referenced to this one.
Speaker 3: Heavily so Avery Tarantino writing screenplays together, rewriting each other's screenplays.
Speaker 2: Now they both put the same video they work did they both work there? Okay?
Speaker 3: Both working in video archives, right, So there's this pattern of Roger Avery writing an idea in either abandoning the idea or just writing some writing it to the point where it's unsatisfying. Right, the idea is there, but the movie is noted, and Tarantino con takes these movies and rewrites them. So one of I think, I think it's called Open Road. Basically that was a Roger Avery script that spawned both True Romance and Natural Born Killers, like initially that that was that was one movie. It was about Clarence in Alabama on the run like killers, and also the fictional versions of them were involved and anyway, so Tarantino split those up and rewrote the made him his own obviously, right, But Roger Avery's involved in both of those. Right. They decide that they're going to make a short film to get noticed, and then they think that that's not going to get them anywhere, that they need a bunch of short stories and they'll each direct a segment of a film. They'll get a third. At the time, the rumors it was going to be Adam Riskin was going to provide a third third short film, right, and that ends up not happening. They can't get it together. Tarantino script ends up becoming Reservoir Dogs, and Avery's becomes a script called Pandemonium Rains. After Reservoir Dogs is a success, they get together in Amsterdam and they bring together all of their material, right, and there's a segment of the plot basically, Pandemonium Rains is about this boxer who kills this guy in the ring and double crosis is a gangster and he's got a gold watch that he needs to get better, right, and then the whole fucking he'll build the fuck in butch and yeah, right, so that's.
Speaker 2: All in there. Pandemonium Rains is a terrible title.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, it's the worst. And somebody, actually, I think is making a movie called Pandemonium Rains right now because they're trying to trying to draft off of the is all.
Speaker 6: Those all those movies we're talking about from the nineties that we're trying to cash it on. The pulp fiction thing was they all had terrible titles, all these really like over overworthy titles and stuff, And I'm like, you're ribbon off pulp fiction.
Speaker 2: What the title is?
Speaker 3: So Tarantino had in his pocket the Marcellus Wallace's Wife story. Okay, he had that was going to be his segment when they came back to this. So now the second segment is the gold Watch. That's Roger avery segment. He's only going to be writing it, not directing it. Now Tarantino has to come up with the third segment.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 3: Avery leaves Amsterdam believing that this is now pulp fiction written by Quentin Tarantino and Roger Avery. He supplied the third segment, the middle segment, right, Yeah, So Tarantino comes up with the bullets not hitting Jules and Vincent's miracle thing and then the gun going off, and that's the consequence for the rest of that, right, Except both of those gags were written by Roger Avery. Oh wow, or an initial draft of True Romance. So Tarantino has written the first segment of the thing, the second segment belongs to Now he'll do a total rewrite, obviously of the Goldwatch. He will completely Tarantino is said, and there's no question he's the author of this movie, right. But the last segment that he has no story for, he uses as the basis another of Roger Avery's were and then fleshes the rest of that out. And then there's the end of our movie, right, and then they make the movie, and then that story conflicate to see the Tarantino himself or Tarantino's lawyer basically say take this one hundred and fifty thousand dollars to Roger Avery and it'll be a stories by credit or you can get nothing at all. That all was kind of in the gossipy air, even down to the lowly projectionist at a movie on the outskirts of Hollywood. All of that was kind of roiling at the time that this movie came out, So it kind of curtailed my enjoyment of the film a little bit. But that's just my experience with it.
Speaker 2: Wow, that is that is That is the key. As they would say, well, no kidding, I mean I guess it. Tribes, I don't know. And not only that.
Speaker 3: Antonio right now, listen, I told you I watched Reservoir doct one billion times. I had to post ni by the whole cast. I had the script at all of his scripts. I was a goddamn convert to Quentin Tarantina, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: At the same time, there was a video tape being passed around. Calm, You're not fooling anybody that some film students had cut together sequences from Reservoir Dogs and City on Fire. That shocked me when I saw that, when I saw how much had been taken from that movie. And you know what, Obviously, people remake movies all the time. You say it yourself. Star Wars is a remake of Hidden Fortress, and at least construction that movie wouldn't be if it weren't for that film, and the parallels are just there. Nevertheless, with hearing what was going on about pulp fiction and this sort of revelation from that videotape that I had a whole other worldview of what the rest of America was getting about Quentin Tarantino during his ascendancy during the nineteen nineties.
Speaker 2: My buddy and Klee Tada had a poster in his dorm room. Yeah, a pulp fiction poster.
Speaker 6: Mindy, you were all filmed students fiction poster, and right next to you had a poster of Tarantino, like in a blue seventies tu seed doing finger guns and it's a huge show time on top Quentin tarant I'm like, Wow, they've turned a movie director into a rock star. And I think a lot of that was he had a really good a really good team. You have to promote him, really really did. I'm not trying to take my I always love his movies. I can talk good and bad about them. There's they're they're both good bad things about them. They always entertain. But yeah, A lom would just say it is really interesting. I have a T shirt the Pulp Fiction logo on it, and whenever I go anywhere, I get stopped four times in that day.
Speaker 2: Oh I love your shirt man. People in this movie, people, I think this is this is the art movie for for middle of America. This is this is the most palatable, fancy movie they they've seen.
Speaker 3: And let's talk about the movie itself, because the hint putting the signed, the history of the movie mine yours, it's whatever. Let's start with the cast of this movie, because really it's it's a knock your socks off kind of who's who of independent artists.
Speaker 6: He's really lucky that Michael Manchin ended up had to do it was already on white ear, because I don't think Michael Manchin is charming as John Travolta is. John Travolta is just walking is walking charm? I tell you, he's just this charming dude. He was one of the he's so charming and so you remember him that. He's one of the first celebrities. I remember this thing was a little kid. I know who he was because my sisters loved Saturday Nights.
Speaker 3: Ever so like he was a sweathog Oh my god man.
Speaker 6: Which I fell in love with that show when I was in high school. They would run it like a nigked Knight or something and shows hilarious. And but again that you watch that show as you go back and you watch it either the movie Start Walking On every time he's on Scream. Yeah, he's a really good He's a talented, talented guy. My sisters that was both their biggest crush was John Travalda and he ended this day.
Speaker 2: Oh he's so cute.
Speaker 3: The funny thing about his comeback, right, is that I think he was hot as lava up until around Blowout, which is like nineteen eighty four thereabouts, right, Yeah, And after that he continued working. He sent a ton of stuff. He had a bunch of popular movies with those look who talk, Look Who's talking movies.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he did what was the old I mean the other movie we I remember him coming out with when I was like ten to eleven or something like that was one with him and Harry give me a second.
Speaker 2: Ari gross the professionals, what is it?
Speaker 3: The professional that's professional?
Speaker 6: And they get conscripted by the KGB to like hitp up Russia's state Americans fight that they had done up somewhere. So they were training all these rushes in the Americans, and they brought in John Travolta and its power of them allet to make the place tool like the four Man's Bill mar that guy.
Speaker 3: It's weird because I remember seeing the poster for that, like hanging in the look. Oh yeah, we like a little dance yeah that thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: But my point is from eighty four to ninety four, that's ten years and he kept working that whole time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Fine. It seemed like there was this cultural shift where collectively we blamed John Travolta for the lameness of the nineteen seventies, like human and then.
Speaker 2: The Bee Gees both suffered.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all the kitschy cheesiness of the seventies, and we love it. Look, we love I love every aspect of the nineteen I mean not all of it. I don't love racism.
Speaker 6: But but the funny thing is is that I think always found and I've heard this somewhere I can't, I think a documentary or something. But a lot of the backlash DIP was rooted and almost alban racism because there was a lot of gay people, a lot of black dudes making a lot of black folks making disco music.
Speaker 2: They did has just changed the name the house music. It's not like they went away, but a lot of that they got blamed for.
Speaker 6: And yeah, John t Walda was literally the post boy light suit pointy dance.
Speaker 2: And that's literally like the smallest point of that. Because there's good music.
Speaker 6: These are the best movies I had great music, I don't know, but they got cheasy towards the end there.
Speaker 3: So Tarantino is sort of renowned for resuscitating people's careers, and it kind of begins right here because previous to this was Reservoir Dogs, and that's just a bunch of great character actors, which you can never go wrong when you get a group of character actors together, no matter their level of fame. But here in this sort of big budget quote unquote eight point five million was the budget on this movie. By the way, which when they sold the distribution rights overseas they got eleven million.
Speaker 6: I will say this about the Wine Team brothers, they were very good producers, a very good I mean they're not the producers of a very good there were. They were a very good studio. If you were quinnin Deretino or Robert Rodriguez or one of these cool directors, they really knew how to promote you, and they really knew how to fight to get an Astar nomination. Of course, the fact that they're all evil stumbags is when Harvey Wantee's gonna die in jail and rightfully sel because he's just twisted and evil. That explains a lot of Man, I'm sure how many guns were.
Speaker 2: Blake pointed at people? They get that eleven million dollars?
Speaker 3: Whatever is well in this case, thank god they got it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It was a great Yeah, standal noted with the with the Lion Steins.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can't. You can't even talk about the learnings go back. I'm sorry about that.
Speaker 6: No, you can't even talk about this period of cinema without addressing them, because it's like very responsible for most of it. They clerks, they bought did they buy did they buy El Mariacci. No, they didn't buy El Mariocci telling you about it, Mariaji, but.
Speaker 2: They put out his other they put it up dustled.
Speaker 3: On right, Oh yeah, and everything after that for a while, pretty.
Speaker 2: Much when we were in school.
Speaker 6: The whole point that first time in the late nineties early two thousands, the whole point was they get picked up, make an Indian get picked up by Mirrormax. That was the whole point and the turnout. But there's this kind of dark history behind it. Is weird because I'm assuming that many of these filmmakers and anchors and stuff.
Speaker 2: Had to have known this shit was going on. So it's kind of like, I don't know, put kind of a dark cloud over that time period a little bit.
Speaker 3: Oh it does. Every time a great movie from the past that I want to revisit begins with the Mirramax logo.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing. Like the reason Reservoir Docs played at my theater is Mirrormax figured out they could four wall us very early on, so we were a kind of rotate. We had two screens, but one of them was always a Mirrormax film. Enchanted April played for about a fucking.
Speaker 2: Year, and I saw in jan to April in the theater. For God's sake. That was the nineties. You went and saw these little weird art house movies because it was the cool thing to do. You can see them and you or I saw Trained Money, Gold Coast.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 6: They used to have a little tiny movie theater there and it was at our house and we played all these weird movies.
Speaker 2: I saw pulp fiction like a Friday midnight show. It was a cool little movie theater. And they all disappeared.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I felt very privileged as a projectionist in LA at the time because I worked at the New Wheelshire Theater, which was the sister theater of the New Art Theater, which is the sort of more of renowned calendar houses in Los Angeles. It's a one screen house, and I worked over there as well. I also worked at the Samuel Goldwyn Pavilion Cinema, which is the sort of prestigious art house but in a mall. The same mall if you ever see the Tom Petty video for Free Following where he's just riding up and down an escalator pipe. Them all nice, but yeah, I worked in there and also worked at the New BEV back when Sherman was the owner. But I did feel very privileged because at the time I was not only at my theater getting a lot of fantastic independent in European film, but every theater was cool with Is that okay if I come watch a movie, like, Hey, I'm the projectionist at the New wheelsher Can I come watch a movie?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And it was never a problem. The state of movie theaters when when it finally when digitalized stopped being a projectionist was such that they were limiting passes for employee. Like the whole reason you would work in a movie theater it.
Speaker 2: Was the Three Movies.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: We had a buddy with fetal school buddy he worked at he was a projectionist at one of the theaters, and we went to every Friday morning or whenever he was working. Hey we're here, Colonian dude, or we would watch stuff. He would get the print a week earlier whatever it is, or a few days early, and we didn't go watch it when he was can it.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of movie like Diet.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So I got to see every independent film you can think of the early nineteen nineties and into the nineties, I was privy to and Tarantino was fucking huge, and the point I was getting at earlier, and I obviously the stamp of Merrimax it sucks. But the resuscitation of career aspect of Tarantino's filmography begins here and begins rightfully so with Travolta. And it's like now, in retrospect, was not that hard. Just give the man a role in a serious movie and let him do his thing, because it was never a question that Travolta was talented. It's just that he got painted with such a heavy cultural brush that everyone just sort of forgot somehow, But thank god Tarantino did not.
Speaker 6: Well. If you know, if you ask anybody who's the main character of that movie Bill, they say Vincent Vega is the main character.
Speaker 2: Mega isn't the main character. There's no main character, but.
Speaker 6: His presence is such that of course the most memorable character is is Jewels. But still you still know them.
Speaker 2: Okay, he's the leading man here. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The other and the other big casting coup for the movie, the reason they got the eleven million dollars. I don't think there are any guns drawn was Bruce Willis a huge movie star and being the lead in this movie.
Speaker 6: He was the one of the big free or him as fortunate aggre where they were like and Stallone had the restaurant.
Speaker 3: I was just gonna say they were open a planet Hollywood somewhere on. One of the Triumvirate was going to be there and to have such Hollywood royalty beyond royalty smack dab in the center of this movie. Really, this movie is about butch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this is his best performance.
Speaker 6: It was, oh John Mcclaindehard. Yet everybody loved Diehard. Die Hard is is apple Pie Man. Everybody loves that movie. But Bruce Willis is best acting.
Speaker 2: Is this movie? Then this is You are with him.
Speaker 6: You feel every scene that he goes through this well, you're with him, and he is. I don't think you could have cast anybody better than nineteen ninety four for this.
Speaker 2: Maybe Mickey Rourke, but I don't think he would have been likable as Bruce Willis.
Speaker 3: No that Bruce Willis is effortlessly charming. It's why we like him so that the camera fucking loves him, say Mickey Rourke.
Speaker 2: Cose, I know Tarantino, who was he was on his list?
Speaker 6: If Mickey Rourke had played that part when he was teasing his girlfriend, it would have been really.
Speaker 2: Made yeah, rather than playful.
Speaker 6: A question, why is this innocent with his monster, because I don't think Mickey Yorke can play tender and play gender in his way.
Speaker 3: He can play it his scene partner there is Maria de Madero's who was all the world was a buzz because of her role in Henry and June, the first of the n SEE seventeen movies Look Out Everybody.
Speaker 2: Also featuring Uma Thurman.
Speaker 3: Correct, Yeah, who's up front and center here? So obviously Quinton was a big fan of Henry and Jared. Maybe it was that poster or all that leg leading.
Speaker 2: Down to a foot, which leads is this is his first foot?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well this is the first sort of time we can where we can linger on a female. That his historic burial debut views all dudes in suits.
Speaker 6: But you know the funny thing with him and the feet, it's like, it's not just feet, it's not just lady, it's dirty feet.
Speaker 3: It is dirty feet, but souls will always be soiled.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I love I love that character. Butching this he plays this, he's a very traditional Hollywood hero. He's got to got a William Holden thing going on in this.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I love that arc a lot, is it my I don't have a favorite part of the movie, my fair part of the movies.
Speaker 2: Whatever, I mean, Jackson John Street, that's my favorite part of the movie.
Speaker 3: Would chunky to know that, as written books was much more of prank and in reality, had they cast Mickey Mark it would have been perfect for what was originally written. There you go, I see Bruce Willis brought that shot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's why he's a moot sar not an actor can act and do all kinds of things.
Speaker 6: But if police starting just walk in her room in the high on here and then it was all yes, I'm just yes, I'm I'm charmed.
Speaker 2: It's just that thing, and Bruce Willis definitely had that.
Speaker 3: Maria de Madeiro's has a stop motion puppet of Tim Burton's design quality to her.
Speaker 2: Can she does little the eyes?
Speaker 3: How is she not his latest muse?
Speaker 2: Now there? I guess that was during the deca Marie years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well you can't.
Speaker 2: Then you can't meet Lisa Marie.
Speaker 3: Who would who would do such a thing? What was he thinking? I mean, look, if it's going to be anybody. I guess Helen and bottom Carter is fucking phenomenal like town.
Speaker 2: Yea.
Speaker 3: I should not be discussing Tim Burton's love life on a podcast. None of my goddamn business. It's just that in the land of Muses, Tim Burton is the king. Yes, let's look at some of this the rest of the cash here, because you know, we mentioned Samuel Jackson. I don't think there's anything we can say about Sam Jackson at this point except he was like a nuclear explosion on the scene when this movie came out.
Speaker 6: Sam Jackson, I just want to say I feel bad for the dude who plays Tim mister Orange's boss and in Reservoir Dogs is every time he said it would be what's a territ.
Speaker 2: I was so above for that too.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, that's very right, right, And and I think Sam Jackson had auditioned for a Reservoir Dogs. Yeah. I don't know how that didn't happen. But the for me, the megaton explosion in this movie was the performance of mister Ving Raimes as Marcellus Wallace. I had not I've never seen anything like that man, and he is the He's the center of gravity of the entire Tarantino verse. As far as I'm concerned, rewatching it definitely confirmed that what a fucking great villain and what a great hero simultaneously.
Speaker 2: He's cool man in this movie, Ving Rams Marcella's Wallace.
Speaker 6: He does not look like a bitch. Let's say that he is a bad ass character. It's just he's the kingpin, he's the god. Probably he's all these kind of cool things, like but through that seventies.
Speaker 2: Blackspotation weighs almost. But yeah, it's a great performance file. It's and it's just subtle and slow and precise and everything every work he makes is a choice too, Like everywhere he saw he sings every word almost in this great In this.
Speaker 3: Movie, he reminds me of Humphrey Bogart. Really, yeah, I get the same Humphrey Bogart vibe. I got the same I know fucking everything, and I can be the most charming one in this room, but I'm also the most murderous one if I'm pushed in any way. Bogart threw that sort of attitude off, and Ving Raims is a more subtle version of that. I don't know that everyone thinks about Bogart that way, but I certainly do and I definitely feel that. Here. The other thing I like about this performance, and it's mainly due to him, because the writing is this is it is. It is b C cinema elevated to more artistic merit. But the thing about Los Angeles movies is any attempt to give us a Los Angeles crime lord, one who rules the city of l A. There have been tons of New York crime lords. There's been tons of Chicago crimes, and I've believed a lot of them Miami as well, but l A, I never believe any of them, whereas Marcellus Wallace seems to be the first Los Angeles kingpin that I believe, fully realized and definitely believable.
Speaker 6: I guess yeah, because you as I think they're ambiguous almost about it, like how what like how big of a crime would is?
Speaker 2: How much crime?
Speaker 1: Is he?
Speaker 2: Actually you don't know any of these questions.
Speaker 6: You know, you just know that he's in charge, and he really just delivers that and with his President's delivered to that. I like it, you know, and I think I'm like, I'm sured Tarantino wakes of every day. Thank you thanking God that somebody nicked his head shaving.
Speaker 2: It's that put the put the band aid on and get all this and his years of discourse on what the mand aid means.
Speaker 3: Oh, we'll get there. But others in the cast I just want to want to mention is when they get to Jack Rabbit Slims. The guy playing Dean Martin is Joe Polano, who's Captain Rhodes the lead character and Day or the lead villain Day of the Dead. Was it really yeah?
Speaker 2: Wow, I never noticed that.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. I picked my at right away on a big screen, but it's almost impossible not to say them when you're viewing him at home. Well, yep, definitely. Joe Plata right that.
Speaker 6: You'll always get drawn to the Jerry Lewis and it's so loud. I annoy did that restaurant doesn't actually exist? Because I'm like, if we had that Vegas, so you get a job there, then like put a wig on v Orson Wells for the day is walkroing over the rune.
Speaker 3: In La At the time, there was a chain of restaurants called Cafe Fifties, and I know this helped inspire Jack Rabbit Slims. It wasn't as elaborate as this. It was basically a diner and they dressed in fifties attire and the jukeboxes only played fifties music, and it was burgers and fries and whatever it was. It was whatever it was. Yeah, it was fine. Obviously, this was tarantino spun out version of the most excessive, immersive experience you can have of all of this nineteen fifties neon nightmare.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's really cool. The budding was I was, when were you watching this last night? I realized, Wow, this really is a set.
Speaker 3: Oh it really looks like this is there's no ceiling, Yeah, not at all, kind of.
Speaker 6: Creat the sixties Batman shows sat almost like, yeah, here's the set, literally no ceiling up top.
Speaker 2: But that's okay. I think it works for the movie.
Speaker 6: I want to get back to Samuel Jackson the Week, because we wide we're off on a tangent about both the other cop guy.
Speaker 2: Samuel L. Jackson is the King.
Speaker 6: I think he's the best movie star of the last fifty years, Like every one of his movies does no matter what he's in. When he's on screen, you're like, hey, Sam Jackson, all right, hooray, I just a forty six, forty.
Speaker 2: Seven years old they hi movie, He's not this is he's.
Speaker 6: Breaking out as a grown up, right, and we don't have young it's Sam Jackson's in middle aged.
Speaker 2: And old now. But like he walks, he owns that screen so much and it's weird.
Speaker 6: It buzzs me out that he didn't win an Oscar that year, but he lost to Mark Landau. Playing Bella Lugosi in that performance is sublime, So I would see very difficult walking up the oscar. The other got immortality, I guess. But he I think the most bankable movie star too, Like he has more one hundred million dollar movies than anybody here to me know, He's in three Star Wars movies, ten Marvel movies like Jurassic Park.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm Jackson man.
Speaker 6: I just he's just a delight. And every story I've heard about him is that he's cool. And then to work with he shows up on these early. He knows all his lines and he hits every single mark. It only needs one or two jakes like the Dream. You wonder why people keep hiring him. I just love this guy and that speech.
Speaker 2: I know it's cliche. But man, when he guts that speech even today, well great make Jackson for your well, his nostrils flared, his eyes just seemed to dilate out of nowhere. Oh, it's just that's like perfection whatever that that performance they're gonna be playing that performance loster clips or examples a fine movie acting whatever retrospective are years like, it's one of the most performances ever.
Speaker 6: I can go on about it, but I just love sending back to his movies. You what that's like Jerry Curl, he looks ridiculous.
Speaker 2: With that jar.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it seems no one but him could make the Jerry Curl cool, right.
Speaker 2: Have you heard the story of his audition. No, his audition was he came in.
Speaker 6: With a cheeseburger and he ate the cheeseburger, finish the cheen burder left, and he just stared menacingly.
Speaker 2: At them while he was eating it. And then he's got it. And that seeing she's whitening in that scene, it's just such an altput.
Speaker 6: Dog kind of like leader of the pack things. I'm here and man handle you, nomin eat your food. I'm gonna drink for drink.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, straight that we'll get we'll break down which of the stories we like best sort of eventually. I just want to kind of wrap up the cast here because the other sort of standouts for me or at the beginning of the movie, which is Tim Roth and Amanda Plumber was dumping and Honey Bunny as a wrap around segment for our anthology movies. You can do worse. And at the time, Tim Roth was basically nobody except off of Reservoir Dogs. But I'd already seen Rosencrantz and Gildenstern her dad at that point, because I was already obsessed with Gary Oldman thanks to Sid Nancy so Oh and my God, the cook, the thief, his wife and her lover like I was. No one was more excited than me that Tim Rocks was getting play here in America.
Speaker 2: And Gilbin's Sturd Dad and gilbins Urder Dad.
Speaker 6: Of course I'd seen it because I was a theater kid, so that was like a required viewing, like you had to watch that with.
Speaker 2: Nail and I like all these like English movies did that. We're just required for something.
Speaker 6: I kne who Tim Roth was, but he's really good on this, he said, no, the fact that it ut he be English is just that little extra bit of interesting.
Speaker 3: That Yeah, that floored me because previous in restorts they made him an American and I had read the script and the entire time heard it as an American. So that yeah, nice surprise and nice because he so rarely gets to speak in his regular voice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's great.
Speaker 3: Like times he's an ape h. Sometimes he's an ape ripley gene calm down.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes he is.
Speaker 6: Always wanted him to play cob commander for some reason, like ember M'd still be Greiers cover commander.
Speaker 3: You would have been great at Cobra would and a man of Queen of the Yeah.
Speaker 2: And she has this creepy quality about her that she plays up so well. Man, I love it. That's a that's a girl. That's a gal that's going to stock you after you guys break up. It sucks a fit. She plays that part really well.
Speaker 3: I remember her very well from the World Accordington gar Oh. Yeah, Robin Williams first attempt to prove prove his his legitimacy as a as a dramatic thespian.
Speaker 2: Hell.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she was great in that. She's great, she's great in this. But let's get into the end, nuts and bolts of these stories, these the three Towns, the Vincent Vange one more cast. Yeah, please Thurman, Oh my fucking head, Jesus Christ.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a little I was a boy when I saw the Adventures of Baron Munchaus. It's still one of my favorite movies.
Speaker 6: The first time I ever saw her and was like, I was low from like twelve or thirteen all the way through up to tell whatever modern day she was.
Speaker 2: I loved her so much and she was at that age, Oh my god. And she's a great miss movie.
Speaker 3: She's literally the goddess of love in Baron Munchow's actually venus. Yeah, and when she appears in that half shell, it it made sense.
Speaker 2: I true did, absolutely did.
Speaker 3: Speaking of ut Gary Oldman, he too was a big fan of him and the they were married at that time.
Speaker 2: They were married. She's got a type she likes so kind.
Speaker 3: Of like when they broke up, he said of her, you try being married to the goddess of love.
Speaker 2: She didn't get cherchold, but it's so cool. You try to be married to the chorus of love.
Speaker 3: Must be tough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, he was Dracula.
Speaker 6: It was a cool actor man he was just like sitting there persons was Dracula, and then I cast it in Nancy and then just following them every.
Speaker 2: Every time he's on screen. It is great. Care'tfully he may Commissioner Gordon interesting. But anyways, back to back to littlem with Thurman, I'm still Tucker and ain't go with that haircut. Forget about it. They're gonna screw me up. Man, those bettings, let me tell you.
Speaker 6: And she's a terrible person, but they all are called through a guy's jacket to start slorting whatever in his pocket.
Speaker 2: The strict it.
Speaker 3: But you do if you're missing you do. If your misses me, you do.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I guess if he misses me a whiles. But this part really put her on this into the A list man.
Speaker 2: She really flew up with this. I mean, she's that poster.
Speaker 6: Man that.
Speaker 2: That poster. I had that poster open all through college and first apartment.
Speaker 3: I had the first draft of that poster with where the cigarettes are still lucky strikes before lucky strengths suit oh wow, play on their golden the golden apples there. But then they immediately followed it with another one she where they basically just redded out the Lucky Strike logo, so it was just a red circle her hand was resting on. That's that was a great poster though, treasured that boster. Yeah, what was the other sermon? Let's talking about therurmad for a second. Yeah, because yeah, she's the She's the kind of the movie doesn't work without her because breaking the stories apart, the first story that Vincent Vega and Marcella Swallace's wife to me is the best story in here for a lot of the reasons we've already mentioned. Particularly you said that opening scene where we get to the ferocity of jewels. As a character, he's very, very scary, like those fucking those are a bunch of young punks and are probably fucking over the wrong people. But I don't wish jewels on anybody.
Speaker 6: And the one thing is is the first batch his second scene, because this first scene in the car is that this the friendlyest guy driving and yeah.
Speaker 2: Geez all right, and then all of a sudden, whoo, that's that's what I love this part. That party is.
Speaker 3: And but the funny thing is so that that bit of danger leads us into this sort of romantic evening. And we've already mentioned the charm of John Travolta. Thank god he was caster. Thank god Miason wasn't it.
Speaker 2: Michael Madson, I don't, I know, wouldn't have believed her falling for Michael.
Speaker 3: Madson, No, because he's so goofully charged. Michael Madson would have been nodding out on heroin. John Travolta is is just a happy fella. Yeah, he's just got what he needed in the right dosage. But you know, it's a two hander. If if Uma Thurman hadn't been as equally interesting and as dynamic as John Travolta, and then the story wouldn't work, and then well then what we have? Pandemonium raining ranning.
Speaker 2: So the son starts out there there there are all the way they're gonna get the case with the golden light inside it from from Frank Waally and his and his and Phil lebar and and those guys.
Speaker 3: And Alexis ar Cat hidden in the other room. Yes, that's right, the late great Alexis ar Cat.
Speaker 2: Alexis ar Cat who can't shoot straight.
Speaker 3: Maybe or maybe it was divine.
Speaker 2: Divine intervention for the coke and pepsi.
Speaker 3: Now open scene you mentioned, Okay, the the the switch that gets flipped on Jules's character. We could see him affable and and and fun.
Speaker 6: He has along his art is a bunch of different emotions, but they're all very sudden changes.
Speaker 2: Though he's his room. He's this charming guy one second, of ruthless killer on the next second. Then now then he's a philosopher.
Speaker 3: Originally going to be replayed by Lawrence Fishburn was offered.
Speaker 2: The role Oh Wow, kicking himself to the dead.
Speaker 3: But fish Will wanted to be the lead in movies at this point, didn't want to be a supporting character in anything. Yeah, should be, but you know what he's he's he's Morpheus at this point, like he's he's doing Okay, he's in the John Wick ones too, So yeah, he's an apocalypse now, you know what I mean, he's an apocalypse. Now he's.
Speaker 2: He's in He's a deep covered I love that movie. Cool movie.
Speaker 6: So they so they get the case back and then they go off on their merry way and they go and we move into the what is the Butcher story next? No?
Speaker 2: No, now that's the date?
Speaker 3: Is the next the date?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: The meat of the of the story, yeah, which is in the script initially when Vincent gets to her place, she has this quiz, this pulp pop cultural the scene you know ooftah, Yeah, thank goodness, it's not there.
Speaker 2: It's the most like cliche nineties thing imaginable.
Speaker 6: She's walking around with the video camera interviewing and are you an elvisman or a Beatles man?
Speaker 2: Do you like this or do you like that? Boxers are brief. I'm like, oh, how sex.
Speaker 3: Lies and video teap Yeah. What's great is now that it's missing. When they reference it later, it just sounds like they know something about each other that we're not privy to. Yeah, exactly fills in the mystery. Just well, it is just a light bulb in a in a briefcase. But what could possibly be in there?
Speaker 6: The theories were always like, oh, it's Morseller's Wallace his soul because he's got the band aid on the back.
Speaker 3: Of his head, or what's the combination? Is six sixty six on the end?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Oh it is six six six? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah. I always thought it was a ripoff of Kiss Me Deadly. Robert Oliders has kissed Me Deadly. It has it has a glowing briefcase that you're not sure what is in it, but it's it's it's most likely it's radioactive material. It's used as a metaphor for the horrors of nuclear warfare, of course.
Speaker 2: But interesting thought device that the the the suitcase like it's unanswered mcguffin, and like it works in this movie, it generally doesn't work. Now they JJ Abram didn't good it and his Mission Impossible movie. There was a McGuff in the whole movie and d you don't even know what it is.
Speaker 3: But here's the thing. It's a mcguffin that needn't be a mcguffin at all, because it only shows up in this story basically, and then we see them hand the case off. It's not like we keep yes with it.
Speaker 2: We're done with it.
Speaker 3: It's as it's as significant as the old clutch Cargo cartoons, because they feature that in this movie too, a little longer than they featured that briefcase. Where's the theory on that the clutch cargo maybe is the devil?
Speaker 2: And I cares yeah, And you can go into all these all these theories.
Speaker 6: I'm just like, I think I have hardly written numerous screenplays directly.
Speaker 2: One for two.
Speaker 6: I can say this some guy high or drunk writing it, and then it's pretty much the explanation of all of it.
Speaker 3: I think Tarantein would be cool. I think he purposefully obfuscates things in order to get people to talk. I think he liked that he's never really told us what a reservoir dog is, but nevertheless, like it's bastards with an e, right, Like these are just little idiosyncrasies he throws in that make people go, huh, I wonder what that means, and they all do, so God.
Speaker 2: Bless him, yeah, and good for him being good at that.
Speaker 3: Because I don't give a shit about that briefcase.
Speaker 2: Once it's out, it's gone. I don't care.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm more interested in what else is going on in that scene, and then more interested in the in the entire data afterwards. I said that Travolta is effortlessly charming, and my god, he really is in this scene, but not only when he arrives. A thousand memes were launched with the green screen of him sort of stumbling around like he doesn't what he's doing. It is a goofy stoner charm at work here that continues into the conversation when he's describing to her or he wants to ask her about what Marcellus Wallace did to Tony Rocky horror in regards to her, the amusement on his face that Travolta Trifolta is so fucking good in this movie. Man, nobody else could have played this part.
Speaker 2: I write that scene a logo because it's their chemistry is wonderful, but you guys just sitting around like in the sewing circle and just got.
Speaker 6: And it's like, how g is literally the more mature character at this point, and this movie is probably the most well inception of her drug use.
Speaker 2: She's very mature. Or when they get to the they get the Jack Gravit saloon, she turns into a teenager.
Speaker 3: She doesn't get out there very often. She's going there Marcel Marcellus hates it there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, she gets she wants one of his She's turned down by his little cigarettes. But she asked him like like a teenage girl. She has a little puppy dog.
Speaker 3: Guy.
Speaker 2: She got knew the dance contest, and of course the dance contest.
Speaker 6: The references in this scene, so everyone's automatically assuming. The big pop culture retens in the scene is John Oh. John Travolta's dancing right, sadly not if you were not realizing.
Speaker 2: That in eight and a half or but that they're doing literally the same dance.
Speaker 3: Well, they got some aristo CAATs in here too.
Speaker 2: Oh he got the aristic cats.
Speaker 3: Wow, definitely some arist cats going on, and of course the.
Speaker 2: Bat toucy that's exact due when I was we're the bout DC.
Speaker 3: Now here's the thing about this story in its entirety, including the opening with with Jules and Vincent. Here's where the curse of Quentin Tarantino comes in. And it's not a curse on him or anything he's doing. It's a curse on the rest of us. Because those imitators we mentioned, what they take away from a scene like Jules and Vincent driving in the car and the way to the job is oh, pop culture references is enough. The conversations. People began to relate to these criminals because they were having conversations that you and I might have, Yeah, thinking about things that you and I might talk about, and that was rare in a crime film. They're always just talking about the job, or the past, or their own past or what their future is going to be once they get through this job. But here's guys about TV shows.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Sure, And for example, Goodfellows, which is one of the greatest movies ever made. But still you watch that movie, all their conversations are about their life, about their world. They don't talk about, Hey, did you hear that? Did you hear that new recon that by by Frank Sinatra, What a great tool that is. No one ever talks like that movie. They're always talking about who got whacked or when the wife is learning or whatever.
Speaker 2: So yeah, this is definitely new thing.
Speaker 6: That Also, at around the same time Kevin Smith was doing in Parks these idiots talking about nothing, and what Seinfeld.
Speaker 2: Was doing on TV just a bunch of people sitting around talking about bullshit.
Speaker 3: It's the paramount of the zenith, the apotheosis of pop culture obsessed as generally generationally as we were, and obsessed about the sort of same topics. But what I mean by the curse is what people took away from that is, well, I have those conversations. I'll just write those conversations now, having no idea the skill that's going into that dialogue, and that yes, they're talking about a fucking bullshit action television series. But that pays off later because one of the characters is actually on that television series. And what else What we ended up getting is just a bunch of either tough guy talk or fucking talking about one of the most egregious Tarantino imitators to me is that five thousand or three thousand Miles to Graceland, that Kurt Russell, Kevin cost Or impersonating movie. Yeah, Jesus Christ. At one point, the ar Kent Boy, what's the youngest our ket boy?
Speaker 2: David Arquette.
Speaker 3: David Arquette just starts like pitting celebrities against each other in conversation. All right, would you pick this guy versus this guy? Conversation that no one would ever have just for the sake of making references. Seth MacFarlane has made an entire career. The reference is enough, so but.
Speaker 6: The reference in like the way they're talking about, for example, the scene between jewels and and Vincent in the car. They're going back and forth about the difference is the European differences versus the American differences.
Speaker 2: But you're telling you that the characters Vincent his adventures, he wants to try new things, he likes to know in different places. He's kind of a snob.
Speaker 6: Jules is fascinated by all of this stuff because he's probably never left La.
Speaker 2: He's the king of La.
Speaker 6: By the end of the by he wants they will walk the earth, so I feel. And the other guy's like, why do you want to do all this crazy adventure stuff?
Speaker 2: Well you did. There's the kind of like they're telling you where the characters are, Like the way they speak, what they're talking about shows you who these people are.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So the phenomenon of Tarantino making art house and low art, low low exploitation film sort of palatable for American audiences is made even more palatable because they're talking like we think we talk. Yeah, And that's the that's the thing. We've flattered ourselves into thinking that we're all clever and that we all speak this way. But none of us speak this way because no one knows this. But to the point that all of it is feeding the story at hand. Yeah, it isn't just there to clue us in that they're just like us.
Speaker 2: It does humanize the movement, but again it feeds the story. Everything kind of moves the story along.
Speaker 6: There's there's definitely the action is there was the seque of action. Everything service is the next scene. It's not like they're not just talking idly.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 3: And had they included that quiz scene, the question scare scene, then it would have damned this movie forever to being just one of those its own imitator in a way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's funny, that's absolutely true. I been here a figure. She said, don't be a square, she means a rectangle.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. Or were they thinking there's no bit to Eric stalls his house?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: In the very distracting Roseanne Arquet. She's the watten miscast person in this movie because she has a nothing part and every time I'm just like, hey, Roseenne Arquette, every time she's on screen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks Jody.
Speaker 3: But the rest of the scene with Lance is great. I know I knew Lance. If any drug dealers ever you knew Lance if you were lucky to get Lance as a drug dealer, because he was laid back in fun and you could show no d.
Speaker 2: That's looking hilarious and it's you know, the weird thing is the languages they use. Just do folks really talk like that? I don't.
Speaker 6: I've known a million people, man they drop, they don't drop as many inbounds as the characters of this movie too.
Speaker 2: So I feel like there's a little bit of.
Speaker 6: I'm making everything little hyper realistic, hyper cool, hyper energy, if you will, and like you have to like sometimes take Guarantea with a boat a grain assault a little bit, because he starts getting a little edge.
Speaker 2: Lordy, I guess there's the way to to push it, Like how far, how shocking can I be with my language here? How much can I piss people off?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was a big adherence too. I'm going to push the envelope and any pushback at all, you're denying my artistic right to do that because this is movie violence and it's movie dialogue. It's it's not real, it's not anything to do with the real world. And in a lot of ways I agree with him, But in a lot of ways he is just being sort of a petulant child with trying to push the boundaries through the language and stuff, because no, I don't how casually people use a sort of derogatory terminology here. It's it does not existly, not in any scenario I've ever been in.
Speaker 2: And you know the funny you watch this stuff and he's mature, he doesn't as much anymore, you know, I mean, growing up, getting older, aging, grow wisdom. Maybe it was I don't need to shock you. Wonder what I'm doing.
Speaker 3: Well, we live in a world now where that Joe not in front of the Mexicans from once upon a time in Hollywood that is enough to get people in a furor never mind what he was doing in ninety four. It was the last game imagine now, oh boy, oh no, we would not be able to get away with any of this, not that he should have to begin with. And that's just even artistically. It was just like just calm down, man, You've already got us, Like the od itself will be shocking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean always just the Lionslabaya, so and so? Are we in Inglewood? Are we in Condon? We're Bloyne is It's okay? I got it cool?
Speaker 3: Yeah, But we'll get to the final story in Tarantino because it's it's most agreeious there for me, where his character Jimmy is just so casual that the is this dead blank storage, Like I don't care how close they were as friends, there's a dead man in the trunk of the car. Is the race of him even relevant at all, Like he's he's just a bloody mess at this point, he doesn't even have a head.
Speaker 2: I think he wrote that word that wine.
Speaker 6: It was just like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just like this is some tough guy ship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then gaust himself in it. Okay, I get to do it. I get the point. I like to direct, and I like to throw myself in.
Speaker 6: An interesting part my stuff. I don't want to yellow movie. But he's not a very good actor, so it's always kind of okay.
Speaker 3: Mind, Now here's the scene. I think most people remember the the od scene where they have to use the adrenaline need to chakra back to to life. It's now for pushing the envelope. This in and of itself, to me, is for mainstream Hollywood. This this sort of scene where characters are casually doing heroin and then having to be stabbed with a needle into their heart and pump full of adrenaline too shock them back to life. That's a lot for Middle America.
Speaker 6: I think when they really make the heroin sexy too at the front at the fun end, when he does it that the baseline of the surf music and the close up to the gear and the slow motion of the head putting it in his vein and the blood going into the very sexy, very really really sexy, and then which is growth. But at least they show you what's gonna happen, though there's a pin of a weird him.
Speaker 2: Showing both ends of it, I think is an interesting dichotomy.
Speaker 3: I guess, well, you mentioned train spawning earlier, but there's a speech in that whereas it feels fucking fantastic. Of course it does, or else we wouldn't do it. So the look they like it or not, there is a romantic sign to drug use and the fact that look, I always used to check with that. John Travolta was a chunky chunky in this movie because hero and addicts tend not to have that sort of girth. Then he has not calling him fan or anything. I'm just saying craft Services was good on pulp fiction because he was. He was in answerdam for Right for three years. That character, which we found through some of this brilliant dialogue without just mentioning fucking who's the boss or yeah, for no good reason.
Speaker 6: Eric Stultz was really good. I feel like I'm watching Eric, so I'm like, Wow, he's just the dude and the big ol'boosi like that is that wasn't he an LA official storter slacker outset?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Yeah, I saw plenty of them. Like I said, I knew lens. Yeah, I knew a couple of different lences honestly.
Speaker 2: And the other gal in there, she was Ronna Gallagher from She's in a Phantom Menace. Yeah, she's in the kid blown up in the first scene.
Speaker 3: Yeah, those are the three things I know her from. Yeah, so fucking Irish had hurt he list the goaldon. Here's the thing. I like this scene as much as anybody, the the od scene.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 3: But of course, the plagiarism of Quentin Tarantino kind of it. Really, it kind of gets it's a little out of hand sometimes, man, Because if anyone has seen American Boy, a profile of Stephen Prince documentary Martin Scarcese he made in the nineteen seventies, well, Stephen Prince is he's in Taxi Driver. He's the guy who shows up with the guns and the pills.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, yeah, I know what you're talking about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because he was that guy, right really, Yeah, they basically wrote him as himself into taxi driver. And in this documentary he's sitting around and saying as he sells heroin to people, and he has to be ready, and how he has a medical book and a big, fat magic marker because you're going to need a fat tip so you're not going to missed because you got a needle and it's this big, and tells a story about how he had to do exactly what we see in this movie. Kind of a drag, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is kind of a drag. That was a brilliant writer, is not he just.
Speaker 3: Found Let's move on because we're gonna we're not. We're not going to see an end to this sort of thing. And and we're stumbling right into the greatest bit of wait, who wrote what? Well, who's taking credit for what?
Speaker 6: Here?
Speaker 3: We're talking about the gold Watch. This is the story of Butch Coolidge, who's a basically now going to be a washed ump boxer, who is who has agreed to throw a fight from Marcellas Wallace and instead makes beense on himself and basically kills the guy in the ring and then goes on the lamb and then they they're they're reunited in the most terrible of ways.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in the most most terrible of ways.
Speaker 3: I think there's a reason this is the centerpiece of the movie, because this is the real story going on here, right, everything sort of peripheral.
Speaker 2: That everybody, everybody goes back for every story links to.
Speaker 3: This one, including that that that opening, not that, not the not the diner scene necessarily, but we certainly meet Butch early at Marcellus Wallace's bar.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, what do you do with Peluca? Yeah, they did instantly want to kill each other like it's it's.
Speaker 3: Good, and then it pays off like that. I liked how aggressive they were to each other and and how silently that plays out in the end. But I like this story quite a bit. I think we spend a little too much time with Maria di Madeiro's because that dialogue is not spectacular. That's that feels like the writing of a young man trying to understand women and their fortunate in their delicacies. Yeah, I want to It sounds like Tarantina was on the European circuit with reservoir dogs and some French girls said that to him, and he thought, oh, that's interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, because I know I've known a lot of women in my diamonds. I've never done Curry don't like that. And she is not very bright either. I feel like she's very it's.
Speaker 3: Very trusting of Butch, Yeah, very childlike. But then Butch, like Marv in Sin City, he's he he'll do right by his girl. Yeah, she's she's never in any danger as long as she's around at that time.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: But he does get better. But I like the way he like his performance in it. He's really rough on man and then he knows on.
Speaker 6: A line, I know I'm getting too angry. I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. It's an interesting way that he knows that he is getting really overwhelmed with anger right now, and he brings her back, and it's it really works in real.
Speaker 3: When the characters are talking plot that they come alive here in this story, Like whatever Tarantino's rewrite of rodre Avery's work here, it's seems best when it's focusing on the matter at hand. The superfluous stuff that we like about the initial story is unnecessary here. It has to be plot driven. These characters are under fucking under the gun quite literally. The earlier stories were the gun people.
Speaker 2: So they go from here, he leaves her and he goes back to the apartment. Get some, get some.
Speaker 3: Oh no, let's let's step back, because here's the big misstep for me in this entire movie is the cab ride. Oh yeah, with as Morel de Viello Little bos right, who was a character from a short film that they had seen called Curdled, which then they helped get made into a feature. It's terrible. She's terrible. The scene is terrible. The fucking rear projection nineteen fifties black and white footage is clumsy.
Speaker 2: They don't use it it all on the rest of the movie. On the others of the color.
Speaker 3: Now, there's something to be said for the artifice of the rear projection, and to Palma is the king of that in all of his movies. But like as a as a comment on the artificiality of it here, this movie doesn't need that and it doesn't need this scene. This scene adds nothing to me. I wish it cut from him at the fucking thing to him in the payphone and then reuniting with Maria de Maderos.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's a much going on there because he gives you all the information on the phone call I.
Speaker 2: Killed the guy in the ring and on my way out of here. Yeah, it doesn't really do anything.
Speaker 3: Why do we have this? Why do we have this non involved character discussing bullshit?
Speaker 2: But she's got a foot that he's gonna get do a close upon?
Speaker 3: Do we get a close up of her foot?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, barefoot? She's driving the cab with no shoes on.
Speaker 3: Ah, it all makes sense now, I wasn't paying attention. Well almost forgiven.
Speaker 2: The besteam men o. I right that scene too.
Speaker 3: It's just so skippable and really you could exercise it really quickly. I'm not going to. I'm sure there must be a cutout there via Lobo's free cut.
Speaker 6: Right. The movie is great, but you know it's funny, doesn't play as well as I remember. Now when I was watching it again, and you know, I'm watching it, I'm wondering how much coverage is he getting?
Speaker 2: Are he's shooting it?
Speaker 6: Okay, I've got of getting disengaged with it now, I'm wondering how he was making it and what and he storyboard this scene?
Speaker 2: Is this what exactly what he wanted to shoot?
Speaker 6: Or?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And there's enough of rough edges that it it beckons for that sort of speculation. Yeah, particularly when this stuff gets clumsy, as it does a lot, I agree with you. I was not a fan of the movie, particularly back in the day for all of the other sort of writery reasons, but I always thought it was well made and whatever. And rewatching it now, I'm like, it's really feels like a sophomart film. It feels like a big budget student film in a lot of ways. But someone who just went to NYU and not or not I n YU somewhere in Europe. Basically, yeah, I did.
Speaker 6: Maybe say that it's pretty cool, Like what makes that movie really? The performance, isn't it. The performances are so.
Speaker 2: Well tasted. I mean, the actors are all very incredibly well cast.
Speaker 6: Performances are all just dynamite, and they really they take that crazy dialogue of his and.
Speaker 2: Really make meals out of it and it works.
Speaker 6: The movie's great, and but it's very it's not it's not as polished as as Jackie Brown. Jackie Brown a much more motorm movie, or as interesting as in Glorious Bastards or or some of his other stuff. I love the Glorious Bastards.
Speaker 3: The opening of this sequence is the gold launch speech by Christopher walk and telling him that his father smiled it up his ass, and then he did the same the N word situation with Quentin Tarantino. This speech is the equivalent of the N word, but an eloquent way of doing it. If you want to shock people, like tell them a story about this watch is important and how it got there.
Speaker 2: It is about this.
Speaker 3: And person to do it to Gino ret monologues.
Speaker 6: For I feel like he's a frustrated actor, and he writes stuff that he knows actors are really gonna like to say.
Speaker 3: And whatever plagiarism. He's never stealing anyone's words. No, his dialogue is always his, unless, of course they're not his, Like my name is Buck and I'm ready to fuck, which is just taken directly from an alligator I believe about. Oh by god, Yeah, I mean there are whole swallows of dialect, like, for instance, remember I mentioned that there was a movie showing the parallel, or a videotape came out of Parallel between Reservoir Dogs and City on Fire. They made one for pulp fiction as well, a follow a video type called You're Still Not Filling Anyone and There's an Italian crime movie that begins with the Ezekiel quote, like a crawl of it, and in fact, at a certain point in the same film, a character says that he's going to get medieval on somebody, and you know what, that's fine whatever. Everyone steals from everybody. Like I'm sure there are songs out there that a seasoned musician could say, well, you can tell the artist just took this riff from him and took that backbeat from that song. You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I've done marginal lines of Face Detective I stole from another movie.
Speaker 3: Everyone does it. Everyone wants to pay homage and repurpose the thing that we loved about something else. But it just gets egregious here.
Speaker 2: Yeah it does. That's all right, but it does.
Speaker 6: It's more valuable because he's like doing obscure lifting, right.
Speaker 3: And I'm not saying he has never been that. He hasn't been upfront about these things. If you were to speak to the man, he would tell you everything, every influence on everything. Yeah. My late wife Jessica used to work at a video store in Los Angeles called Eddie Brands and the nineties into the two times since Eddie Brant was the only one that was still all videotape, and they had everything. If you've heard of a movie, they had the movie right. So it was a bit renowned, and the clientele was a bit, including Tarantino, who gave her an entire set of kill Bill dolls, the action figures that like he had in his car because he had just gotten a boxer of them or something, including the including the Quentin Tarantino Crazy eighty eight figure, like the exclusive one. So so she was pretty friendly with him, and in talking about like kill Bill, which was about to come out, he said, oh, I'll tell you exactly where the movie comes from. And he went to the shelves and took down every videotape of every influence that was going to show up in the movie. And then of course she watched all of those and was like, oh wow, Okay. So I'm not saying he hasn't been upfront. It's just that we are so lazy as students of cinema in this country that none of us have any idea what's going on.
Speaker 2: I saw I saw a.
Speaker 6: Quote online the other day and I can't I can't tell you words a tribute I can'not remember where it's from, but it was. There are two kinds of filmmakers. One is an architect and the other an archaeologist.
Speaker 3: There you go. Yeah, I don't begredge the guy for fucking repurposing ship at all. That the hip hop idea has been floated about Garantina, that he's sort of remixing stuff and he's popular culture, and through that lens I can I can get behind it. It's just that Roger Avery wrote the gold Watch. Roger Avery came up with the conceit of the magic bullets and the magic gun going off that gives us our triumphant heroes Samurai like strut on out of the diner. I don't think Tarantino gets interesting as a writer until he runs out of old stuff to recycle. Okay, I think up until let's say, Jackie Brown, he did not. After that, he no longer has Roger Avery to pull on his source material to rewrite in the Tarantino style. And I think that's when his writing sort of sharpens and it becomes less dependent on previous material and more on what so. Yes, there is a series of movies called Django from the nineteen seventies, but he fashions a thing that has absolutely nothing to do with her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I run jangle too' it's it's it's brutal. It's a brutal movie. It's really really well. Mate's got great performance, isn't it?
Speaker 3: Because what was the the the basis for The Departed, the Depart, Ortal Affairs, Infernal Affairs, Right, Okay, The Departed is definitely one a remake of Infernal Affairs. A lot of different plot points, all the dialogue is different basically, but it is a remake. City on Fire is one the blueprint for reservoir docs. Yeah, I mean, yeah, he just rewrote the shit, but he's not calling it a remake. I mean, look, I don't know. I struggle with this man because obviously Kurosawa had to write a letter to Sergio Leoni saying, I think you remade my movie when a fistful of dollars came out, So there's precedent for geniuses doing That's not that I'm saying in any way, Tarantino, it's a genius, And don't anything I've done.
Speaker 6: I've got something that we lifted right out of seven cent We lifted from Seven's Amori.
Speaker 2: So look at it. You people to do it.
Speaker 3: Nevertheless, it just was it was. It was a lot with with Tarantino back in the day, and and this movie sort of me as much fun as I have with this film, it feels the most laden with with appropriation of other people's work and other people's material.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I said, we do something lifting from some exemi go more like the way Lucas lists from Hidden Fortress. Okay, it's this kind of story, but then we're going to go off to something crazy. And Tardino sometimes doesn't really go off that far off.
Speaker 3: With it gives you the scene he like goes, oh, I like this movie, this is z Grade. Movie has one great moment in it. I'm just going to take that moment and work it into my plot. Yeah, but you know, you know, coming from there are people out there bashing their heads against the wall trying to come up with the original material because they've seen that movie too, and they admired that moment too, but they just don't feel like they can take it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because there really discussion like what he lives and what he does the list, but you know, all artists steal at the end of the day, he's just really blatant about it.
Speaker 2: But I think I think he takes pride.
Speaker 3: He does, and he, like I said, he's upfront about what he's what, what is inspirations quote unquote are so and more power to him. I just think on rewatching this movie, even divorcing myself from the that controversy and the Weinstein controversy. This movie's okay. I think it's over long as an anthology movie. It should have been. It could have been one hundred minutes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can shop, like is it?
Speaker 6: You can shop the taxi scene out when you guess they need spent a little less time with everybody else.
Speaker 3: There's there's a lot of there's a lot of fat in this. Do we even need to really talk about the final story?
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, you mean, what what what is there to say about the final story other than than.
Speaker 3: This is where the liberal Yeah, And I don't necessarily even like that all that much. I like, I liked his dialogue. I like it just felt like to me, a a a suave riff on Jean Renaud's character from The Thumb Nakita, okay, And that character was so single minded and wonderful, And I don't know. It just it hurt the rest of the scene for me, that they have this superhero who swoops in and sort of saves the day. I liked watching Vincent and Jules like stumbling everything. Yeah, and it's a day of six mockina kind of an ending in a way. But what's stupid is the solution is they could have figured that out on their own. In fact, Marcellus Wallace could have just told them that over the phone.
Speaker 6: There is a lot of that in the movie though, Like the whole the bullets missing them is again that that going on, and even I think.
Speaker 3: Even but I think a character like Winston Wolf cheapens the rest of that thing because this is a character out of a comic book or a dime novel. When we're trying our best to already signed with characters from a B movie who have gone through a potentially religious experience.
Speaker 2: That here he is God helping them again.
Speaker 3: I just yeah, like it's a it's a I don't know, it's a bit much, but you know, look, I'm not, no, no, not picking on Harvey kayk Tell's performance here or anything. I think he's as charming as Harvey Kinell can be here.
Speaker 2: Harvey Cattel should have played Wolverine in the eighties.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, you're absolutely right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a convict book out there, Havoc and Wolverine.
Speaker 6: It was a team up, fully painted, and a guy paints Wolverine A Wannerdrew Banel. Literally, he just copied a picture of Harvey Kayitell. I'm like, it's Wolverine. Anyways, I digruss.
Speaker 2: But but the thing with the the wolf triving about that se there's a couple of things in that scene that I really like. I like the coffee stuff. I particularly like the fact that lots of cream, wats of sugar, and every piece of cinema, television, film, everything, every person drinks their fucking coffee black or he's He's like, here's a copy, and I got black coffee. I know two people who do that.
Speaker 3: I'm one of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you and I know another guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, we're rich.
Speaker 2: They addressed that he liked to create up and sugar. I like that. And and I've been asking this one question since I saw this movie. We're in a tuxedo at o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 3: He was at a brisk Is that where he was yeah.
Speaker 2: They don't explain that in the movie though anywhere.
Speaker 3: No, but I think it's going on in the background when when he's.
Speaker 2: I have to I have to look. Even noticed him last night I were watching it.
Speaker 6: Not scene, okay, fair enough, because I always fantasy he's like coming from an after hours pub and he's at the after party.
Speaker 3: And then when they get to the fucking the junk yard, Julius Sweeney shows up for no reason as another character who Tarantino just liked her off of Santai Live, I guess, and just wanted to give her, give her a few lines because what's going on there.
Speaker 6: In the end the going back to Butch and Marcellus Wallace Kathy Griffin.
Speaker 3: Is the Yeah, but her character makes sense. There are right, but.
Speaker 2: This is Julius Sweeney being there for no reason.
Speaker 3: For no reason, so that fucking wolves can break the fourth wall to pieces.
Speaker 2: He was probably rewriting It's pat at the time.
Speaker 3: And yeah, there was a lot of Tarantino at this time. He was, but he was ever.
Speaker 6: Just to hit that joke, say what is it like, either say good night Gracie joke or whatever you riff on it because she's not there. What Butch and we it's a real quick about the about bunch of Marcella's Wallace and that and the gimp.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, this is that's see. To me, that's the most memorable part of the movie that a mainstream American movie has has that in it. Yeah, has a what seems like a fucking straightforward double cross flick. Getting on the lamb turns into those two characters who have been at each other's throat, like forced through an ordeal, but like we have a sign of deliverance. Who was showing that in a movie you'ret and.
Speaker 2: In deliberatec they kind of like brave it a little bit. This one. You can see that and.
Speaker 3: It's oh boy, it's dreadful.
Speaker 2: But like Howard Adman and those guys, don't that, Oh Jesus.
Speaker 3: That's the thing. He's got a couple more flies. But yeah, they have a camp who's just constantly on call for this sort of thing. So who knows how many people have been assaulted and brutalized by these fucking rednecks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just like to think these guys exist.
Speaker 6: I don't know like that that is just the vitreless characters like I have come up if you're almost a cartoon of those two.
Speaker 3: Guys, right, but they e that scene doesn't feel like it No, that.
Speaker 2: Scene is just disgusting. It is, Yeah, I'm disgusting. It's just brutal and it's and it's not about the sectuality and that, but it's just.
Speaker 6: The dominant, the the the the the idea of just we're gonna find these guys just it's just really fucked up. And to see it to having the grown men, that's the thing. It's always like some weak little girl or something like that or some kid and this is two bruisers. They have to go up through this that this this ship man. That's that's a tough scene. And I think people people of Middle America.
Speaker 2: Like really took that dart scene. Although I do like the bugs bunny level of him picking out butch picking out weapons. It's just pretty good.
Speaker 3: You need it, you need some levity at that moment before before we get to the brutality of the bigger and to.
Speaker 2: Settle on the tory. Henso sort oh yeah, well of course, yeah, that seem's just that's brutal and to see that the poor and it just sucks. And big range is the one who's gonna go. Bruce Wilas's character got gots fair that.
Speaker 3: That I agree with you. By the way, Bruce Willis is best performance because the moment after everything has gone down and Peter Green is already on the ground bleeding, it's one static shot with fingerings in the foreground and Bruce Willi is balancing himself on that samurai sword in the back and even though he's just done this thing, and even though they've triumph together, he's still fucking terrified there. Yeah, and it's great and it plays from across the room. It would play at the back of the theater if he was on stage. Yeah, So anyway, I love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I just liked which he picks up the chade thaw. He just starts like playing with is this there's a sword?
Speaker 3: It made me think at the time watching it, like what really? I think the chain sound is probably more definitely more damage for the Yeah, might be a little a rule, but they'd hear you coming, well, they'd hear you coming.
Speaker 2: Here, you're coming.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's trying to get it on if he's surprised.
Speaker 2: Not good for surprise.
Speaker 6: The ending of the picture in back in the in the in the coffee shop where they shot The Big Lebowski and everything other other movie ever shot in.
Speaker 3: La Yeah, that's what the hot hawth Arm grill. I think it's in hawth Art. I've been to it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, nay, The Big Lebowski. I want to sit here. I don't finish my coughee. This is a family restaurant again. That scene is just owned by Sam Jackson. That should be more than anything, because it's Jonathan Olden Vincents Vegas.
Speaker 2: Story's already done. He did. He doesn't matter anymore. This is this is Jules its scene, this is Jewels the story now, and he's great in it. That's the best dialogue in the movie. I think is his right there? That speech. I like that, or at least his performance.
Speaker 3: Is just I think it's his performance. I think Tarantino's analysis of the Ezekiel speech is kind of parochial, schoolboy in nature. I don't think he gets to any sort of depth beyond the surface of maybe this is you, maybe this is me. No, maybe I'm you, Maybe this is you. Yeah, it's Sam Jackson. Just like we are seeing this couple who have dabbled in crime embarking on a new life of crime where they're going to do this from now on, they're gonna rob diners like this and random people instead of shop owners running up a guy against the ultimate criminal who is giving up the life. So what we're seeing is Jewels rejecting crime wholesale for a narrow path, and we believe it because Samuel Jackson makes us believe it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's he was I'm trying ringo, I'm joying. Yeah, every every word is a meal for him. Man, he really just he's just one of the lies and sings his dialogue. Man, it's just I'm always Sam Jackson. I want that guy.
Speaker 3: And Vincent is just proves what an idiotot is.
Speaker 2: And what an idiot.
Speaker 6: And you're seeing this is like now from well because first you're seeing it from almost Gerolda's perspective where he's the star. Right.
Speaker 2: But el Sam, this is drugs movie though, so you know you're the goofy side kick.
Speaker 3: And that's the thing that knocked people out about this movie, the fact that we had a character die in the middle segment and then come back again in a triumphant way. I think that really ignited people's imagination as to how you fracture a timeline.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I remember my I had a cousin. She came home and she was mad at because she they had gone to us.
Speaker 6: He pulpiction because she heard me talking about how cool it was and what a great movie was. To wait, bro kick them. I'm like, yeah, it takes place earlier in the movies. Just there are three different little stories.
Speaker 2: This story. He's alignment like a boy.
Speaker 6: How do we wrap this up walking out triumphantly out of a coffee shop?
Speaker 3: Yeah, with what the surf music playing. And that's the other aspect of Tarantino movies is the soundtrack. He's supernowned to the soundtracks. James Gunn recently has picked up the jukebox soundtrack Mantle from Tarantino. Edgar Wright I think as well. But they all owe a huge debt of a huge dent to Smart Scarsese. He was the king of needle drop.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, Yeah, there was nothing innovative going on here. It's just that the songs were always really fucking cool on Tarantino soundtracks, unless they weren't. There's plenty of dogs on these soundtracks too, girl.
Speaker 2: I mean, but you urger overkill covers great that scenes because the dancing stuff is always iconic. I guess people remember that ship.
Speaker 6: But if we're always up, he's just net to nut surf music and there's no water in it.
Speaker 2: I always thought that was interesting.
Speaker 3: No, and that's the great thing. And living in Los Angeles at the time, this was the Los Angeles that I experienced more often than not. The all of the he's not shown the Hollywood Sign. They're not like cruising Sanemaer. It's like it's these alleyways and vacant lots and then these little bursts of jack Rabbit slim kind of things, but mainly grubby little apartments like that's Los Angeles. But it's also this surf culture, like you can't get away from it. So it's only wholly appropriate. Listen, I heard more surf music when I was in Los Angeles than I think I've ever in a part of the country. It's just it's so to me that part of the way the movie is shot and the way the movie is scored is a bit of a triumph because it does capture Los Angeles in a way that it hadn't been I think at that point, other than some stuff in the seventies, and that was out of necessity. That was like, well, we don't have a permit, so it's shooting an alleyway.
Speaker 2: Alleyways are good place the shit they had, They use them in every single Batman movie.
Speaker 3: Well, that man lives in alleyways absolutely now.
Speaker 6: But she is a cultural I think is a cultural touchstone. It's really one of the more import movies of the nineties. Definitely, everybody says it's the most important one. Okay, maybe my favorite nineties indie movie that is Trainspotting.
Speaker 2: That's the one I love the most.
Speaker 6: So when I go back and I reference more than anything of the filmmaking is so energetic, and I noticed in this one he's not. Definitely he is not the polished filmmaker that he is.
Speaker 2: He becomes in this. This is not his best directed film.
Speaker 6: The cinematography is nice, but I think he hits his Strida when he when he gets Robert Richardson starts shooting his movies and they just have they take on this ethereal quality that reminds you. Because Richardson, I love him so much, he reminds you that you're watching a movie sometimes because he overlip stuff or he does that that halo lighting on your head. And there's that real fantasy element to him that I think plays really well with Taratino's movie comic book universe that he operates in this kind of hyper realistic SENDEMDS exploitation movie universe is where Hitler got nunned down by Jewish, oh Jewish American soldiers rather than blowing his brains out in a bunk or be with everybody not by it by Russians.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the remix ethos behind Tarantino's work finally sort of started paying off dividends when he was, like I said, writing more original material, yeah, and realizing that like he can remix history itself like that, to me is far superior to him, Like just coppying some scene from some Grade and Z exploitation movie that only he and seven other people have seen.
Speaker 2: Were they ridiculously happy?
Speaker 6: Ending in Django right where the horses are dancing, hits up after all this, and he's got sunglasses on him and got really cool clothes and then.
Speaker 2: Right off into the into the into the sunrise or whatever it is.
Speaker 6: I really like the way he perverts rearranges the cliches and tropes as he got older.
Speaker 3: Yeah, any pulp fiction will be on his tombstone, but his more original work was to come. And I will also say, as we're wrapping this thing up, everyone should go check out Olive Roger Avery's work because his stuff is always interesting. Check out you want to see a twist on crime movies, heist movies. Check out Killing Zoe's fucking fantastic man, like really just great independent filmmaking. Check out Rules of Attraction. His his adaptation of the Brendy Stonellis novel.
Speaker 2: It's is a challenge of a movie.
Speaker 3: It's difficult.
Speaker 2: You got to participate in watching that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But as far as visual style, Jesus, oh wow, makes the book like it's better, like it's it's an adaptation where the film is better than the book and it's because of the filmmaker. So I didn't. Of course. He wrote the script for BeO Wolf with Neil Gaiman, the Robinson Maxx movie, and he's written a ton He's like, I don't know, he needs to be making more movies there, right, Oh yeah, they do a podcast together everything now so and God bless and anyway, I just want people to know that your fondest memory of Quentin Tarantino is not his best movie and what works about it is mainly because.
Speaker 2: Of Roger Avery, and I will say it's that cast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean ultimately the movie works because it's the movie and not the words behind it, particularly when you get a cast like this together. But they didn't improvise.
Speaker 2: They sure did it all right, father Malone?
Speaker 3: Right on until next time, an Tonio. Where can people find you? If they're looking for you?
Speaker 2: Here?
Speaker 6: You can check us out at swamp Media do here. You can check us out at swamp media dot com. You can see so my work every Anspacedetectivemovie dot com. We've got some new short films dropping later this year, so please give us a follow. We're at swamp Media group on Instagram.
Speaker 3: Right on, you go do that immediately. As for me, you're checking out mid nine to doing check it out a lot. It's on twice a week now Mondays is Fonda Malone's weekly round up, and then Fridays is alternating between the Horror Anthology podcast where we're taking Tis from the dark Side and the show you're listening to ow to Now Anthologies Attach. You can find all of that stuff at Weirdingwaymedia dot com, where we are a proud member the music for midnight viewing, the music for everything I do on weirding Way Media. It's provided by HP who has his own show that I co host sometime or a co host all the time. That's night. Mister Walter's Taxi podcast. Can give that one to listen to if you would until next time. What's a good line of dialogue from this movie? It's all pretty good. What's my favorite line? What's your favorite line?
Speaker 2: Oh, my favorite line. That's a hard one. That's a hard one. A pick. There's a lot of the line of this.
Speaker 3: So right out with you to say that one we should have fucking shotguns, we should have fucking
Speaker 2: Zagun with this dealt