Speaker 1: Welcome to k t r H Guarded Line with Skip Rickard.
Speaker 2: It's trim.
Speaker 3: Just watch him as manas supt by.
Speaker 4: Not sid.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 6: Good morning, Good morning, folks. I am glad you are listening. Good have you with us? Hope you got a cup of coffee in one hand and at least one eye at least at half mast open.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 6: It's going to be a good good day. We've got a lot of good stuff going on. I have a lot to talk about and I hope you do too. If you would like to ask a question, this is a call in show. Uh seven one three two one two k t r H seven one three two one two kt RH. It's always quiet as first thing in the morning. So if you got a question, do want to wait in line? This is a good time to find your answer, and I'll be happy to do that. You know, our goal here on Guarden Line is to help you have a bountiful garden and a beautiful landscape. It's as simple as that, and it's not rocket science. You can't fail at gardening. You can only give up. And so all it takes is some information. The way I like to put it is, there are no brown thumbs. There are uninformed thumbs, and we're going to inform your thumb here on garden line. You know the reason grandma could grow anything, you know, it's just like anything she put in the ground grew well. It's because she just know how to do it. It's as simple as that. There's no magic to it. There's no magic. You give plants what they want to be happy, and they will make you happy by giving you flowers and fruit and everything else. So hey, let's turn our landscapes into something pretty and have some good gardens. For your lawn, for example, now's the time to do three things in the lawn. And Nitrofoss kind of got you covered with what they call their three steps. The text is three step. You know you do the two step on the dance floor, the three step in your lawn. That is a fertilizer, a pre emergent weed control, and a disease prevention product. The fertilizer is Nitroposs Fall Special Winter Riser. It's a different blend than we would use in the summer because it's for helping plants, the grass plant and this case your lawn grass become heartier for winter and come out in spring stronger, that's as simple as it is a special design mix and it works very very well. That's Nitroposs Fall special. Number two Nitrofos barricade is a pre emergent herbicide. It helps prevent both grassy and broad leaf weeds from sprouting this fall and they will get a low col front and some water and here they come, So get it down now and barricade will prevent that. Then next spring you're not dealing with clover and chickweed and hand betting all those weeds you had last spring in your yard. Finally, number three Nitrofoss Eagle turf fungicide. That is a systemach fungicide. Again, you put it down ahead of time. This is not one where you wait until you got the big brown patch circles. So you see takeoff patch taking out your lawn. You put it down now. Then it soaks in, moves into the tissue, and when those diseases hit, it's there to prevent them. Nitrofoss Eagle Turf Fungicide. You're going to find these products of Fisher's hardware, both the one in Baytown, the one in Mount Bellevue and Pasadena, and in Laporte as well. Nitrofoss Texas. Three steps. All right, well, I said, now it's a good time to call in. Here we go, let's head out to Pearland. We're going to talk to Beverly. First thing up, Hey Beverly, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Kip. I have a question about cestrums. I have five of them. They were doing really well. They're all about four years old, but then right here in the middle of the year, the tops of them started dying. I mean, you know, every day you'd go out, there were the new growth, the little sprigs were all dead. So can I cut those back this fall and maybe they'll come back better in the spring.
Speaker 6: Totally yeah, you know, I wouldn't cut past the dead just to get the dead, the ugly out of there. We don't want to stimulate growth. You know, when you prune back a plant, it responds by sprouting new growth. And we still have warm temperatures, so we don't wanted to do that because that succulent growth will get burned by the first freeze. So just cut the dead parts back. Probably something wrong in the ground too wet to dry, something damaged roots. I'm not sure exactly what would have done it. But system is a pretty good plant for our area, and as you know, it's a wonderful, wonderful one to have around. So I would just bring the dead out and then hopefully in spring they'll come out and be just fine.
Speaker 4: Okay, So but in the spring, I don't need to print them back either.
Speaker 6: Just if you want. Yeah, well, they like you, they like your place. Quit treating them so nigh. But seriously, you can cut them back so much as you want. There's not a specific pruning style for sastrum. It's a shrub that just you you. You printed as you need to. If you like the height of them, then leave them that high. If you want to cut them back, you can cut them back some. But wait until spring to do that kind of cutting back.
Speaker 4: Way until spring. Okay, thank you so much.
Speaker 6: I appreciate it, all right, you bet, thank you, Beverly. I appreciate your call very much.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 6: I wanted to mention the Buchanans native plants. I'm going to be out there today. I'm going to be out there after the show. I'm going to head over there and get to Buchanans about twelve o'clock. You'll be there from twelve to two they are having their big shindig today, and I mean it is unbelievable. There's going to be all kinds of stuff going on. I mean there's color stations for kids and painting pumpkins and face painting and the moon Bounce that they can play in. Jay White from Texas Gardener Magazine will be out there with me today. There's a coffee truck and it just goes on and on. A band called Yopan, which I think is the most appropriate name for a band in Southeast Texas. Maybe Chinese tallow, but we don't like Chinese tallis, so we're glad to have Yopun there. Jess Chef Marchella from the Kitchen will be there, Medino will be there. Of course, I'll be there from twelve to two answering your gardening question. So if you have any samples you want to bring in, put them in a plastic bag and come by. You know Buchanans by the way. When you're there, plan on picking up your pumpkins for the season. They have all kinds of pump every kind of pumpkin slash gourd you can imagine for your front porch makeover. It's ready to go, so you'll be set for Halloween and the whole fall season there at Buchanans. And while you're out there too, I would highly recommend you pick up a hummingbird plant birds. You know they come through in the fall. We have a number of months of the year here and Buchanans has got literally dozens of different plants that attract hummingbirds. Fall is for planting. Why not grab one of their plants for hummingbirds and get that thing in the ground, and next year your place will just be even more of a way station for those cool little birds that are coming through. I'm going to head now out to Cyprus, Texas and we're going to talk to Sharon. Hello, Sharon, Welcome to garden Line, hay Stiff.
Speaker 8: I was gifted a set of Good Morning. I was gifted a set of aggy blue bonnet seeds, and I need to know when to plant them and how to plant them.
Speaker 6: You plant them now, you get some bare soil area as much as you can. You know, they don't want a lot of competition. Scratch the soil up with like a you know, a rake or hoe or some just kind of break the surface, scatter the seeds out rake it a little bit, and watermen really good keep it moist if it doesn't rain. So the best blue bonnet stands or years where we have good fall rains, because that's when they're getting their sprouting and getting the roots in the ground, and that's the most important thing. Once they get established, then you don't really really need to worry about them so much. But they're pretty easy to grow. Just give them a sunny spot. Bluebonnets want as much sun as you can give them.
Speaker 8: Okay, I don't have to soak I was reading maybe soak the seef beforehand. I don't need to do that.
Speaker 6: You can to speed germination. But if you're going to do that, you would just put them in very hot water inside the evening before and that warm water. It makes the water being warm, it makes the water soak up faster, and let it sit all overnight and then in the morning pour the water off. I usually put them on a cloth or towel just to kind of dry them off just a little bit, because they're easier to handle when they're not wet. They don't stick together as much, and then you can scatter them as you want, plant them and then water them in again. And remember keep them wet, especially for the first couple of weeks. Just a little bit of moisture to keep them wet.
Speaker 8: Okay, okay, all right, you're awesome, skipp thanks so much.
Speaker 6: Well, thank you, and then send me a picture of the planting so I can start singing the Aggie Warham as tears streamed down my cheeks.
Speaker 9: Thank you, sir, Oh you and my kids both.
Speaker 8: All right, appreciate your.
Speaker 10: Kids so much.
Speaker 6: You bet bye bye, all right, we're going to go to break folks, We'll be right back. Bring me all right, good morning. I thought i'd play that first thing this morning. Hey, we are glad you're listening to guarden Line. Thanks for being with us. I really appre I do appreciate that. It makes it a lot more fun when you're in listening and we can answer questions and have a good time. You know, anytime you need supplies. And I talk about all these products all the time on Guardline. Things that I believe in companies that I've used, the companies that I know their product or I've seen the research on it. And where do you get them? Well, Ace Hardware is where you get them. There's forty Ace Hardware stores in the Greater Houston area forty that's a lot. I'm pretty sure if you walked outside, close your eyes and throw a rock, you'd hit an Ace Hardware store. No matter where you live, they're everywhere. Don't by the way, don't throw rocks at a sardware store. But if you need your fertilizers for fall, if you need I was just talking about those Nitrofis products. They carry all the brands, and they carry the products for controlling diseases. They're controlling insects and pests. Do you want to decorate your patio? You know it's going to cool off now, and the evenings are a great time to be out there. They can turn your patio into something magical. All at Ace Hardware. It's time to do fire ants too. By the way, fire ant baits now now, now get those out. Ace Hardware's got you covered. Just go to Ace Hardware dot com and find the store locator, find the ones near you. You need to check it out. Every time I go into an Ace Hardware store, I'm impressed, and I really mean that. They're into leon so each one's a little different. They still have all the standard stuff. So when I make my statements about Ace, they're true of all the Ace Hardware stores, but each one is unique and you'll see things it's like I didn't know they had that here. I promise you will go to Ace Hardware and check it out. I'm going to head up to camp Logan now and talk to Ron. Hey, Ron, welcome to guarden Line.
Speaker 7: Hey, good morning up, thanks for taking my call. About ten minutes ago. Sent you a picture of my improved my livon true. I got it, okay, you could say it's about seven feet tall, probably about six seven feet dam or. My question is it's making now and everything is great, but I'm looking forward to the winner, and I wanted your opinion on when exactly to print it, if I should, and then how much I should prove it.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Well, printing is a stimulating process, and anything that's semi tender, like a ctris, we don't want to stimulate new growth because it was more likely to get damaged about cold. I would leave it for now and just let it slow down, let the weather cool off, let it slow down and everything. When you're gonna have to cover it and we're likely to have that, I would get me some of those long half inch gray PVC pipes and make create basically an IgG glue over it. In other words, you know a pipe that arches over from north to south, and yeah, and they have the gray have belt ends, so you can slide one piece of pipe into the other one without having to glue anything. And that's what I would do. And then get you some lamps. Some they can be heat lamps, but even just a good one hundred and fifty watt bulb is helpful. I get those on the little clamps with the aluminum shield, you know what I'm talking about. Put those attached those I see you got a little box around the bottom. Attach them to that box and point them down. Don't point them at the tissues of the tree. You can burn those underneath a plastic cover, something that doesn't air, doesn't let air move through. You can really make a big difference in temperature underneath there on a very very cold night.
Speaker 7: Great and into spring, I mean like some march or so, should I go ahead and prune it? And it's so how much?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I would? You know, so you got turf around that side so you could mow around it. Those low hanging ones, you probably need to get those out of the way, and just there's not a real system for pruning that tree. It's just a matter of when you got that much lanky growth and you get some lemons on it, it's going to pull everything towards the ground. So just kind of pruning as needed. Maybe be willing to prop a few things up to get you through a harvest season if you need to. But those trees tend to throw off extra fruit and not carry too terribly many. They set a lot more than they normally will carry. Okay, okay, great, thank you, stef. I appreciate it. Well, you bet you, bet Ron. Thanks thanks for that question. I appreciate that very much.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 6: Moss Nursery done in Seabrook. I haven't talked about them in a while. Moss Nursery is an outstanding place to visit and it's eight acres you wander through and if you've never been there, I don't care where you live north south east west, you got to go down to Moss and just just walk through that place and see number one. You'll never want to come out of their houseplant greenhouse. It's unbelievable. It's outstanding.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 6: Moss Nursery is down on Toddville Road in Seabrook, Texas. You can look it up. But right now they have lots of fall color plants, lots of annuals, things like you know, petunias and snap dragons and million bills will be you'll Beilia dianthus all that kind of stuff. They'll beginning. They got a little bit of the cool, cold coal season stuff in and they'll be getting more in. They have statuary that is incredible. I promise you you will see stuff. It's like I have never seen that before. They just make places cool. And if you want to turn your landscape into a special outdoor high to be something unique, something cool, Moss Nurseries got you covered. They always have the plants for the season right now. They've also got some trees in that well, they always have trees in, but the Chinese fringe tree one of my favorite spring booming blooming trees. Falls for planting woody ornamentals. Get it in the ground, get you one from us, put it in the ground and get going, because then for years you'll have this beautiful shaggy white billows of blossoms that have a nice fragrance. Again. Moss Nursery dot Com m a a s Nursery dot com to find out how to get there and anything else you need to know. I'm gonna head up to Oak Forest now and talk to Mike. Hey, Mike, welcome to garden Line A good morning, Skip.
Speaker 12: Yes, I'm Mike and I live in Oak Forest and I have an issue with an infestation of a weed. And I know that's a common theme on your show. I used a an app, a picture this app called It's a Plant identify Er app, and I took pictures and I sent some to you as well. And the plant I believe is called arrow leaf Sieda. It's it's really kind of like a miniature bond said tree that's like about an inch high and really really naughty, thick, weedy or shrubbery, shrubbery like not. So you have to like pull it out and it's a mechanical process and it's and it's all over the.
Speaker 6: I know it. It's it's like it's made out of out of iron wire or something. It is tough.
Speaker 12: Yes, yes, it absolutely, And so it hasn't taken over the whole yard or anything. It's mainly in the back, but it's starting to creep into the front and I treated it a couple of years ago with a weed meter Ultra, which was a broad leaf killer.
Speaker 6: It did. It just wilted a little bit.
Speaker 12: And then it kind of came back. But I have a yard full of Saint Augustine grass and I don't want to kill the grass, and I don't want to hurt the surrounding trees. I live in oaklorus, so I have a few oak trees. So I'm looking for something that will get rid of this product once and for all. I get rid of the weed once.
Speaker 6: All right, here's what you Yeah, here's what you need to do. The weed beater alter won't do it. It's got an ingredient called a camba in it that can help with ceda. But it's also called by the way, tea weed, interestingly enough, but it doesn't have enough of it. It's made for wimpier weeds. This one is tough. And if you look for ceda in lawns online, you're just not going to find almost nothing. It's like it's not a lawn weed to the turf people around the country, but it can be. And it's tough to control anything that. What I would recommend is a product called Southern ag. That's the company other NAG Basigran, and I'm gonna spell it b A s A g r A n Bassigran. Now it's sold for sedge control, but it'll also work pretty good on the SEDA, and so I would use that. It's labeled for Saint Augustine and it has SEDA, one of the sedas on its label. There's more than one Sieda too. They're very similar, but more than one. I would use that, and I would spot treat it. And if it were in my yard, I would either water or after a rain when the soil is soft, I would do some hand pulling because it's coming out of one spot and it's a little easier to get out when it's like that. It's not it does want to break off. You gotta grab it down low. But if you can do some of that, that's helpful. But the Basigrand as a spot spray is what I would recommend.
Speaker 12: Okay, And where can I get the bassigram?
Speaker 6: I would try an ACE hardware store in your area you are located forest, you know. I would also try Southwest Fertilizer on bisin ut and Runwick Southwest Fertilizer on the corner of busin Ut and Runwick. Bob carries everything there. I mean he carries stuff that nobody has, so he probably call him first, but he probably has it in stock. If he doesn't, I bet he can get it. Okay, Okay, So spot Tree, there are some other approaches with the bass ground, I would try that. There are some other things, but everything has its caveats, and I think i'd start with the BASSI ground. If you have trouble with that, let me know. We can try some other approaches, but I think that's probably the best first shot.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, Well, thank you, Skip. I appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Hey, thank you, you bet, thank you, thank you for the call. I appreciate that very much. We're gonna have to go to a break here, Kim and Copperfield and Ronnie up in Magnolia. You will be our first two up when we come right back. You have to have some upbeat stuff to get us awake this morning. For those of you who are little sleepy eyed. You know, my eyes opened very slowly this morning, but they are wide awake now ready to go. Hey, we love feed stores on Guarden Line. You know that. I tell you that all the time, and if you are up in the Magnolia area, Spring Creek Feed there's your hometown feed store. They're conveniently located right there on FM twenty nine seventy eight, just minutes a few minutes away from Grand Parkway and Highway two forty nine. When you go into Spring Creek, you're gonna find the fertilizers that I talk about on guardline for your lawn. When I say fall fertilizer, you got to put a fall furtig. It's time to put a fall fertilizer down. When my schedule, which by the way, my gardening schedules are available online at gardening with skip dot com. They're free. You just print them out and take them in and say I want that one. When it's the one you want there, Well, Spring Creek has them. They have herbicide, pest aside, fungde asides, all the different things you need to control the issues that attack your plans. The staff is is friendly. I like walking in. First of all, when you walk in, it's gorgeous. I mean you look around and you go, okay, this looks like a boutique and it's a feed store. And the staff is so friendly. They greet you they take care of you. If you are senior, citizen or military, there discounts for that. If you're four h r FFA maybe you're raising livestock for the fair, there is also discounts for you as well, and they can special order at Spring Creek Feed Again. They're on FM twenty nine seventy eight up in Magnolia. It's your hometown feed store. Check them out. You will be impressed. It really is impressive. I'm going to be going up to Nature's Way Resources on October the twelfth. Now what would that be? That'd be a week from today. Nature's Way Resources is still having their Fungal Friday sale. Fungal Friday, so twenty percent off their fungal compost. Now you hear me talk about compost top dressing and leafmold compost. Neature's weighs, the one that made that famous leb mool compost. Fungal compost is also very good to use for compost stop dressing. It works well, you get it screened down to a good particle size, and at twenty percent off on Friday, so that's something you always need to pull on the counter on Friday, I'm gonna go buy I'm gonna pick it up. I'm gonna call them and have them to deliver it. Buy it by the bag, buy it by the bulk, and every other product they carry. Rose soils, vegetable soils, soils for acid loving plants, mulches. They have it all there in Nature's Way and many of the products we talk about in the Greater Houston area all the time now, like rose soil, for example, they invented it. That's where it was born. At Nature's Way Resources. Now on next Saturday, they're going to have a real shindig and that is my official I'm officially designating this as a shindig. That's the highest level of party praise you can give in the South. It's the Fall Festival, Latin food, local vendors, plant sales. I'll be there from eleven to third one thirty with some Q and A with you. They'll be live music, there'll be children's activities, food and it's just a good time. It's going on from nine am to two pm next Saturday at Nature's Way Resources. They're on Sherbrooks Circle right where the road from Magnolia fourteen eighty eight comes into Interstate forty five going north. Just turn right across the tracks. Don't go left to Magnolia. Turn right across the tracks and you're there and I'll be there again from eleven thirty to one. There. I hope you can make it. Really looking forward to getting out and doing that. Let's set out now to Copperfield and talk to Kim. Hey Kim, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 13: Good morning, Skip.
Speaker 14: I have a question about a Camelia japonica. It's been in in the ground about a year now, and a few weeks ago I noticed some ground patches on some of the leaves, and I suspect their sunburn because they're only on the side that gets exposure to sun for a few hours a day.
Speaker 4: But I wanted a second on that.
Speaker 6: Did you send me a picture of that?
Speaker 15: Yes?
Speaker 5: I did?
Speaker 6: Did you send Yeah? I remember seeing that. That is sunburn, Kim. And you know, did you remove anything that may have been partially shading that plant in the last year.
Speaker 14: So the oak tree that shades it has had some leaf loss over the past few months and also some branches that were damaged as part of the storms that we had this year.
Speaker 6: I got you, okay, well that that would explain it. It's not a big problem the camelle. You will adjust and be just fine. But because of where it's located on the leaves and which leaves it's located on, that is not a disease or an insect or anything for you to worry about.
Speaker 14: Okay, perfect, That's what I wanted to just confirm. Hey, can I ask you your opinion checked? Can I ask you your opinion on using com post as a maulch.
Speaker 6: It's fine. It is very fine textured, so it blocks the light very well. But it's also a good medium for seeds to grow in. So if little seeds land in it, they're going to just sprout in the compost itself, whereas a chunkier malts it's a little thicker. You know, they're going to kind of fall down in there and and what not. But there's nothing wrong with using composts as a mult Every time it rains, it's just like the nutrients and the composts percolate out, just like you're making coffee in the morning. You just dribble the rain water irrigation right through the compost and it percolates out the nutrients. So it has the benefit of that as well.
Speaker 14: Perfect all right, Well, I really appreciate your taking my call this morning.
Speaker 6: You bet, thanks for being patient. Glad to have you here on Guardenline. You take care, thank you.
Speaker 16: Ye.
Speaker 6: A compost is a compost is that's an interesting, you know thing that has so many different uses. You know, it's almost like the answer to everything is compost. Have you ever noticed that you just need compost? Put composts in the soil whatever. It fixes everything, and it kind of does, you know. Compost takes a sandy soil that the water nutrients run right through. Sand is just like broken glass. Basically on a microscopic level, nothing sticks to sand much and it makes it whole water and nutrients better like little sponges in the broken glass of sand. A clay soil that's heavy and doesn't drain well, compost helps those particles to form clumps, so the water and air moved through it better as well. So compost fixes everything. We're talking about. Fees source while ago. If you live down in the South of Houston area, down in League City, your hometown feed stores League City Feed. And it's not just for folks in League City, that whole region. Santa Fe Dickinson, Lamart Bay Cliff Webster clearly City el Comina Reale. I mean that could go on and on. This is your hometown feed store. You go to League City and it's just a few miles south of Highway ninety six on Highway three. So just take Highway three a few blocks, A few block miles. What am I saying? A few blocks south on Highway three from ninety six. It's easy to get to right there inside of the road. It's the old time feed store, been around forty years. Still carry the bags out for you. And when you go in there and you go, ah, Skip was talking about this fertilizer, they're gonna have it. They're at League City Feed anything control pest, weeds, diseases, you need quality pet food. They've got things for your backyard, chicken supplies. They've got you covered on that League City Feed Monday through Saturday, nine to six. So they're open today nine to six, closed on Sundays two eight one three three two sixteen twelve. Two eight one three three two sixteen twelve. We're going to go now to Ronnie at Magnolia. Hey, Ronnie, welcome to Guarden Line.
Speaker 17: Borning Skip skip uh questioning your thoughts on planting a winter rye on my vegetable garden.
Speaker 6: Winter rye is fine. Uh what is your goal to protect the soil or build the soil or build it?
Speaker 2: Are you trying to nutrients?
Speaker 17: I do this out on my cotton farm in West Texas, and uh it's it helps us, you know, the the next year. And I just it's laying here door does after a burrow come through and took care of my garden? I kind of just been piecemeling it and uh, okay, I'm ready.
Speaker 6: Well, Ronnie, do you do you know? Do you know if you had have any nematodes in the soil? Have you noticed any knots on the roots of any plants?
Speaker 18: No?
Speaker 16: I have knocked.
Speaker 6: Okay, then you could use you could use regular rye that you oversee the lawn with. That's fine. We use a cereal, a grain type rye. The variety LBoN is what's most often so locally and feed stores and things, but to help manage nematode problems. But it also grows and produces the biomass that you can turn under the soil to build the soil and protect the soil. But either one would be fine. If you're not dealing with nemotoad's either one. Some people will plant a cover crop of something like mustard out there and turn that under the soil as well. But what about any way you want to go about it, the cereal rye, the grain. Yeah, the grain type of rye. The one I mentioned is h it's l bond e LB O N and the nemetoads go in the roots and they can't reproduce and they die, they don't.
Speaker 19: You know.
Speaker 6: It's a it slowly is reducing numbers and nematods. But it's going to be upright like oats and wheat. You know, it's an upright grain crop, and so you have to mow it down. It's not like the overseating your lawn rye. That's just a little turf grass kind of thing. So either one is fine, sir.
Speaker 17: It wouldn't hurt to be prepared for them until then, just go with that cerial rilee yourself.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it wouldn't hurt either way. And sometimes I'll have it and I'll just kind of crimp it over, you know, you can. You can mash it down over and I just plant right through it and it sort of becomes a mulch. In the spring too. So anyway, either way you want to go about it.
Speaker 17: Where do you get that?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's like the no tilt. Uh, let's see you are up in Magnolia. I you know, I would call Why don't you call the Spring Creek Feed up there in the Magnolia area and see if they have it or if they can if they can get it. I think that would be That's what I would That's where I would start. If you're if you're not able, good and if you're not able to find them there, you might try not too far away from you over on the west side of tom Ball's D and D feed they may have it as well. But those two places is where I would start.
Speaker 16: Okay, buddy, all right, I'm I'm gonna have to run.
Speaker 6: Thank you, sir. Appreciate your call. Uh, Mark and Pearline. You'll be the first up when we come back. All right, welcome back to the garden Line. Good to have you with us today. Have you been to RCW Nursery? That is the garden center where Tomball Parkway I WE two forty nine comes into Beltway eight north west side of Houston. Easy easy to get to RCW Nursery. Has everything you need for fall. They have got some outstanding color. By the way, did you know marrigols are a great fall color plant, And they've got some. They got the big pump palm types of marigols, orange and yellow, and you know kind of variations within those. They glow in the fall. Because spider mites do not thrive in the fall. Their populations are crashing now on spider mites. We're not worried about them like we are in the summer. People plant marigoles in the summer. They auto plant them in the fall. Oh my gosh. Get some at RCW Nursery. They have every thing you can imagine. Great new shipments of citrus. Outstanding shipments of ceterrus. If you've never had citrus before, whether you plant it in the ground or put it in the container and you know, roll it in the garage, you got to try it. Because the ballooms are heavenly scented. I mean, plus you get fruit. But that is great. They've got the a Cuba gold dust a Cuba. People call me and say, what is a shrub that grows in shade? Well, it's like you can't have foliage in the shade. On a shrub that that gets thin not with a cuba. It's a great choice for shady areas. Got those little flecks of yellow in the leaves that make it kind of brighten up in the shade. Really beautiful. And their trees are on say listen, shrubs are twenty percent off right now. Shrubs are twenty percent off at RCEW Nurseries. They have beautiful box cherry laurel trees. Their trees are fifteen percent off for the month of October, So grab you one. Do you need a tree that's small you can plant. They've got those sizes. Do you want something two hundred gallon like a tunnerd gallon burrow or laspark elm lace parkser gorgeous. They'll connot and plan them for you. Just go to r CW Nurseries again, corner of Bela eight and Tmaa Parkway there right there, easy to get to r cwnurseries dot com. That's their website. All right, I'm gonna head out to h let's see, we're gonna go to Mark in Parland. Hey Mark, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 20: Good by, good morning man. I've spent a couple of years bringing my yard back from my killing.
Speaker 21: It with a.
Speaker 2: Uh this, I lost this.
Speaker 6: Uh sir, I lost you for a second. Go ahead, I got you back.
Speaker 20: Okay, great, I was forbad to put down the winter risers schedule, and man, my dog will rescue a chicken out the side of the road. So now I have one of those backyard chickens you were just talking about advertisement just a while back, and now I'm wondering, I can't use that not your fall pre step, so I need to is there is there something I can do to keep that chicken from croaking after I put you on something put down the treatment or some of treatment.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, I've never I've never had a I've never had a question about a backyard chicken and fertilizers and pesticides like that. That's a that's a good one. Uh well, I mean, if you want to be if you want to be extra safe. Nitro Fuss does have something called sweet Green that's normally when we put on in the summertime. Right, it's an eleven zero four, So I wouldn't recommend it as a fall fertilizer, but you could use Microlife's brown pat. It's called Microlife brown Patch it's in a brown bag. It's a five to one three fertilizer and that would do that would do very very good for you. And you're gonna find it down at your ace hardware. They're in pairland, they're going to have that for life.
Speaker 20: Brown okay and probably but probably no pre pre emergency either.
Speaker 16: Huh.
Speaker 6: Well, for the pre emergence. From an organic end, what we have to do is either use something called corn gluten meal, which I bet the chicken likes, but it's kind of hidden miss. Yeah, it's hidden, miss, But you'd put it down and you water it in and it can work on some weeds and the right conditions. And I won't go into details on it, but basically, we get too much rain and the way that product works, if it keeps getting wet, it's not going to be as effective. So that's where for an organic standpoint, we just focus on cultural practices that increase turf density, which is mowing, watering, and fertilizing. So you can build your way out of a weed problem by building a denser turf by proper mowing, watering, and fertilizing. And by the way, if you go online to gardening with skip dot com The Pest Disease and Eat Schedule and the lawn Schedule both have organic alternative options on them. So just go go find my schedules online and it's all right there, we'll do okay, well, good, thanks for the call man.
Speaker 16: Good.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I have fun with that chicken. Bye. That's good. Speaking of birds, Wabird's unlimited. Oh my gosh, will they ever take care of you when it comes to every kind of feed you need. By the way that your chicken would like any birds seed that drops out of the feeder, But well, wabirds, that doesn't happen. You know why because wabirds has no messed blends that you can purchase, and they have blends. All their blends are what the birds want to eat. Those old red beabies and cheap bird seed birds kick them out. They don't eat that. That's not that's like putting. That's like putting Brussels sprouts on my plate. I'm gonna kick it off on the floor. I'm not going to eat it. But I know some of you like that. But wildbird stuff is stuff birds like. Right now, wildbirds they have their annual feeder swap and this is so cool. I saw a picture, and it is this pile of old bird feeders that people are brought in. You bring your old bird feeder in, I don't care what condition it's in. You bring in. Trade in your old bird feeder twenty percent off a new bird feeder. And we're entering the cool season when we want to be out there feeding our birds as if we didn't all year anyway, any feeder you bring in twenty percent off at all six wild Birds locations. So how do you find one? WBU dot com forward slash Houston. WBU dot com forward slash Houston and that'll get you right there to your Wildbird's store, simple as that. All right, folks, I hear music that means we're about to go to the top of the hour on the news, George and Jersey Village. You'll be our first up. If you can hang on till we come back. I want to remind you I'm going to be at Buchanan's Native Plants today. That's right today, I'll be there from twelve to two pm. Come on out and see me. Let's visit. I always like to put a face to the people that are out there listening to guarden Line. It's all invisible. I'm talking out into the darkness, so let me see your pretty face. Come on out, Bring me some samples, bring me your questions. Do you have photos on a phone, make sure they're in sharp focus. Bring me your photos, will diagnose, will identify. We'll make suggestions on how to have a more bountiful and beautiful garden, a landscape. There will be giving away a one hundred dollars gift card. You got to register to win one hundred dollars gift card from Buchana's Native Plants. We'll be giving away back a microlife brown patch and boy, they have all kinds of things going on and it's all free today. Buchana's Native Plants on Eleventh Street in the Heights.
Speaker 1: Welcome to KTRH Garden Line with Skip Rict.
Speaker 22: It's so.
Speaker 19: Trim.
Speaker 15: Just watch him as.
Speaker 19: Well.
Speaker 6: Welcome back, Welcome back to Guarden Line. Hey, it's good to have you with us. We are looking forward to spending the rest of this morning up to ten am with you talking about the things that interest you in gardening. That's why we're here. You can give a call if you like at seven one three two one two k t r H seven one three two one two K T R H. I'm your host, Skip Richt, and we're here to help you have a bountiful, bountiful garden, a beautiful, beautiful landscape. And one way you can do that is by heading up to Arbrogate. Have you been to Have you been to Arbrogate in Tomball recently there on the west side on twenty nine twenty. If you haven't been there, you need to crawl out from under a rock and go find that place because you have never seen anything like it. It is a wonderland. Their display gardens are gorgeous. They have plants that you this bit this way. When you go to Arburgate and you see a plant number one, there's a chance you may not have seen it anywhere else because they do a great job of bringing in some really cool and new ones. But they also do an outstanding job of making sure what they bring in is stuff that's going to grow here, and then they've got the expertise to go with it.
Speaker 15: You know.
Speaker 6: I talk all the time about the fact that it's so important to support our independent nurseries because they live here, they grow here. They don't order stuff to go to stores all over the country. In some big box where you're getting sold black raspberries and Tomball Texas in Houston, Texas, which don't grow. Here, you got people that know what they're doing and they grow. They bring in the plants you need to have success and Arbigate they're experts. I'm telling you that I've visited with Beverly Ken and a lot of the staff there. They know what they're talking about. And when you walk in, your jaw's going to drop because it's always gorgeous and beautiful. Their gift shops are outstanding, their fault color is outstanding. I mean I could just go on and on all day. You need to go to Arbrogate if you haven't been there, Arborgate dot com. Arburgate dot com. It's on the west side of tom Ball twenty nine to twenty go out there, park in the back, take Trishel Road around the back. They've got a great old weather parking lot back there, and they are stocked up and ready for fall, and every season it's just new wonderful things coming in. I love going there. I love it, absolutely do, and you will too. If you don't already go by the way, take a friend when you go, because there there is so much fun to have, and you know that your friends will love going with you as well. It's good, I don't know, turns a what would be a shopping trip into a personal time with friends. That's a good thing. Gardeners like to hang out together. Let's go to George now in Jersey Village. Hey, George, welcome to garden.
Speaker 22: Good morning, Good morning Skip. I'll just listening to your your Arborgate advertisement. They sell your plants that are going to grow by in my yard and stuff like that, or they just very pretty for display something like that.
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh. No, they have gorgeous plants that will grow here. And if you have issue with the plant, I mean, you go into Arburgate shopping. Maybe it's a plane you didn't buy there. You just said, hey, I got this plant that's doing this. They'll help you with it. They'll help you with it.
Speaker 22: Okay. So my question is, and the resolve of dispute for me about how deep your plant the seed. I'd heard that depends on the size of the seed. Like the little bed seeds like poppies. They can put them a sprinkle them across the top of the ground and sprinkle dirt on top of them. Bigger seeds like peppers, hot peppers you got to put on people like half inchs in the ground something like that. What what do you know?
Speaker 6: Okay, now now you know I'm I'm I'm getting alarmed here. You said you're an argument. Isn't with your wife?
Speaker 15: Is it?
Speaker 6: I'm not gonna tell you, smart man, I was going to tell you because if it was, you know, gardening advice is free. Marriage counseling is three hundred dollars an hour.
Speaker 16: So I don't know how you.
Speaker 6: Want to go now, Seriously, seeds in general, in general, when in doubt, plan a seed about three to four times it's with deep so a pento bean. You know, just take a simple, big old seed that's going to go about half inch three quarters of an inch or so down in the ground. Something small like a poppy seed. You're not even really partly bearing it. You're scratching it in and pressing it. There are a few seeds that need light. Lettuce and carrots typically or better put on the surface and just watered in, really pressed to the surface and watered in really good because they need a little bit of light. But that's the exception. Most seeds want to be buried about three to four times are.
Speaker 22: With deep Okay, answer the informans, all right, thanks.
Speaker 6: A lot, all right, good, thank you, thank bye bye. Have fun yeah, okay, we got to have some fun here on line right. Microlife fertilizer. Someone called me earlier and was talking about lawns and they got a chicken in the backyard and they want a fertilizer that's inorganic for the in case chicken picks it up. Well, Microlife, that's that's what you can do. Microlife has a wide variety of products that are all natural loaded with microbes. They understand that microbes rule the world and when it comes to plants especially, microbes are essential for healthy plants. We have just scratched the surface on learning how important microbes are and all the things they do. They fight disease, you know, they fend off, they outcompete other other organisms on the surface of a plant that might want to attack that plant. So things like micro grow bioanoculant, you can put that out. It comes in a bag, comes in the clear jars as well. You put that on on your lawn when you do your fall fertilizing. That's what I would recommend to the Microlife brown Patch. Microlife brown Patch. It's a five to one to three fertilizer. That's your fall fertilizer for microlife. Then do the micro grow bioinoculant. Spread it also. Don't mix them together, spread them separate leabag. You can do it the same day and then watered in. And the micro grow has sixty three different beneficial microorganism strains in it. And these are things that do fight against disease issues. They are out compete disease issues. Microlife's got it all. You can find Microlife lots of places. You can go to Microlifefertilizer dot com if you want to find their sources. But I can just tell you this, it's everywhere. It's easy, easy to find, and the stuff works. I've used it myself. I know that it works. I wanted to talk about trees a little bit. Someone was talking earlier about their camella that's getting some sunburn, and they said they had some tree damage in the storm and now more suns coming through. We had a lot of tree damage. In fact, I'm surprised there's a living tree in Houston after the hurricane and the other horrible storm that we had that knocked out powerful couple weeks. Affordable Tree Service is the person I would trust for your tree care here in the Houston area. It's as simple as that. I want to give you their number, and I'd like you to write this down because you never know when you're gonna need it. It's seven one three six nine nine two six six three. If you don't have a pen, grab one and we'll keep talking. I'll give it to you again just a second here. Martin Spinmore has been doing this for a long time and he and his wife Joe are the ones that answer. The phone's there, so when you call, if you don't get Martin or Joe on the phone, the owners, you've called the wrong place. You want to dial seven one three six nine nine twenty six sixty three. If you like websites aff tree Service dot com aff tree Service dot com, you got to get on his schedule asap. October through February is the big printing season. He stays very, very busy, and if you call him, tell him your guardline lister. Get on the schedule because it doesn't matter when in there you get the printing done. Just get on the schedule so you can get the printing done. So don't delay, you wait too long. And he who hesitates as lost as they say, call Martin an affordable tree and get on the schedule seven one three, six nine nine two six sixth tree. He'll look at your He'll look at your trees. He'll decide what's needed or not and tell you and give you a plan for what to do about it. If you're gonna do any changes in your landscape around the tree, anywhere within the branch spread of the tree, or even beyond, let him look first, let him come out and consult first, because you can do a lot of damage when you don't do it right, and he can tell you how to do it right. We're gonna now go. Let's him know. I'm gonna really go to a commercial right now. When I come back, Tammy in the Woodlands, you'll be our first upright. Welcome back, Welcome back to your garden line. I'm your host, Skip Richter, and we're here to help you have a bountiful garden, a beautiful landscape. That's as simple as that. I have one way to do it. If you live down in the Richmond Rosenberg area, you and if you've been out in Chenni Gardens, you got to go check it out. This place is it is a destination garden center. I've been there and talk to people from Austin, Texas. It drove all the way over just to see in Chenne Gardens. That's the kind of place it is. I love our mum and pop garden centers because they just they just make things special, and I really mean that. For example, at Channa Gardens right now, they got their pumpkin house. If you've never seen it, you got to go buy. It's a house in the wall. It's just solid covered with pumpkins. It's gorgeous. They got places that you can do your photos where you stand in front of like a giant butterfly or something like that to take photos. Bring the kids out, have some fun, bring your friends. Actually, come on, man, we're having fun here gardening. You want to know how to make our herb basket. They have a little video and you have to go to their Facebook page, and I would recommend.
Speaker 16: That you do that.
Speaker 6: That you absolutely follow our garden centers on their Facebook and Instagram. They sign up for the newsletters and Channi Gardens has an outstanding newsletter. You can just watch how to do it and they'll do it for you. If you want to go buy one that's already done, you can go that route. You can do it. But I would just say check it out and learn do some do it yourself. It's fun as always. Whatever the season has in store, they've got it in in Chanted Gardens. That includes a fall color that includes beautiful decorations for Halloween and the whole fall season. Here's where they are FM three fifty nine. So if you're in Richmond and you go north toward Katie Fuller, Katie fullsher direction, that is the direction to go Enchented Gardens on FM three fifty nine. Here's the website. You need to go to the website Enchented Gardens Richmond dot com. Enchanted Gardens Richmond dot com. We're now going to the Woodlands and we're going to talk to Tammy. Hello, Tammy, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 23: Hi Skip, good morning. I'm calling for a friend who has the backyard that is it's all weed. I couldn't even find it. The runners of Saint Augustine in there, and she wants to put Saint Augustine down and My question is, and I can't remember, is this a good time to do it, say, in the next month, or would she would it be better for her to wait until the spring, some time after the new year, And if so, you know what time period would you recommend to have sad sit down?
Speaker 15: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I would wait. You can plant sod pretty much any month of the year, but when we get further and further into fall, the root growth slows down a lot. So if you were going to do it now, you need to do it immediately. But if she's got a big weed problem and there are any perennial weeds, you need to get rid of those before you put the sod down. So if you were putting it on Saint Augustine and you had bermuda grass which is a perennial weed, or nuts edge or things like that, it's better to eradicate those and then lay your sod. Now, if it's all annual weeds, all you got to do is scrape it off or spray it and kill it and put the sod down on the soil and you're okay. But this may be a good time to start killing the perennial weeds that are there. Any low areas to fill them in. Randy used to talk about kill till phil process, where you know, you get rid of the perennials, you til things up. You're fill in any low spots to level it all off, and then when you put the new side in, it's ready to go. And by the time we get to sometime later in March, it'll be warming up enough for the roots to begin to grow and for the sod to go down really well. And the warmer it gets, the happier the sod gets when it comes to rooting quickly.
Speaker 23: Okay, well, she's helping to sellar home in March, so that might be a little late.
Speaker 6: Well, then, Ques, she needs to go out there and roto. She needs to go out and roto till it now and get some side down right now, just like this week if possible, to give it the best chance, because that way, coming out in the spring, it'll look better.
Speaker 23: Okay, there's a part of the yard it's really shady. She wants Saint Augustine for the part that gets more sun. What type of grass grows in a more shady area is that bring to.
Speaker 6: No, Saint Augustine is the most shade tolerant, and so it is. I would go ahead and get the same. If it's a deciduous shade, then as she plants it now, it'll get light through the wintertime. Our grass doesn't go fully dormant. Saint Augustine doesn't go fully dormant in the winter, and so it will do okay until the leaves come out, and then sometime next summer it may start struggling if there's too much shade. But other than trimming out some tree limbs to brighten it up, that's about all that's in her power.
Speaker 23: Okay, perfect, awesome, Well, thank you so much, really helpful.
Speaker 16: Bye.
Speaker 6: Yeah, thanks, appreciate the call. Bye bye. When I talk about supplies, I talked to somebody earlier today about Southwest Fertilizer being the place to go for it everything. Southwest Fertilizer has every product you could possibly need for your lawn, garden, your landscape of vegetables, herbs, flowers, tree, shrubs, fruit ones, you name it, they've got it. If you hear me say any product, it comes out of my mouth on guard line. Bob's got it a Southwest fertilizer, And if he doesn't have it, you can probably get it because he has a wide, wide variety of things everything you need. Plus he and his team there have the knowledge to point you at the right thing. You bring some weed in and a plastic bag, they'll tell you what to use for it, and they won't steer you wrong. They know their products, they know their stuff, and that's important. Remember Also, they've got they sharpened more blades there. They've got a small engine repair in the back. So we're entering that fall season where we're putting some things up. Now'd be a good time to get things right so when you come out in the spring you're ready to go. You know, that's when there's the rush at the shops or getting things tuned up and fixed. Why not do that now, here's the website Southwest Fertilizer dot com. There's a phone number seven one three six six six one seven four four. Southwest Fertilizer been runs. It's nineteen fifty five and I don't care where you live in this listening area, it's worth a trip to drive over to see Southwest Fertilizer and all the things that they carry there in the store. We'll own out to spring and talk to Roderick. Hello, Roderick. Welcome to garden Line morning skip. How are you cop I'm well, sir. How can we help tonight?
Speaker 21: Got two questions for you. In my backyard, I have an area where I have a gutter.
Speaker 16: And it gets extremely wet.
Speaker 6: Is there anything I can put in that area too, so it's so anytime that it ranks not as wet like I thought about putting.
Speaker 2: Some fans had no idea what's put.
Speaker 6: So if your only two options are to reroute that gutter down spout somewhere else, or like into an underwater pipe that takes it somewhere else, or to put in a gravel bed to catch it and a trench and gravel to carry it off somewhere else. You just got to keep the water from getting there, or find a way to get it to a lower spot, because you know gravity is taking it wherever it's going to go, so uh, those are the things that are in your power. Or put a little you know, put a little rainwater collection system there and then you plus you get rainwater out of the deal. But those would be the options, all right.
Speaker 4: Number two, In my front flower bed, I'm getting this weed.
Speaker 2: It's a two LEAs weed.
Speaker 15: The weaves go right and.
Speaker 21: Left, and inside of the bait, it's just nothing but roses. But I'm trying to figure out what can I.
Speaker 18: Put in the flower bed to get all these weeds out by having it without having to just pull all the weeds myself.
Speaker 6: Are there currently flowers in the bed or are you between plantings?
Speaker 24: No curly roses in the bed that are still blooming.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's tough to kill weeds without killing the good stuff. These weeds sound like broadleaf weeds as opposed to grasses and the things that kill broadly weeds kill petunias and kill roses and kill you know, other broadly plants. So your options are either hand pulling, or if it's an annual weed, sometimes you can kind of mow it down a little bit weed eat it down or whatever, and then cover it with a real thick mulch and smother it with me smother meaning block the light out of it. And you can go that route. But other than that, the only other thing would be to do a weed wiper, where you apply the herbicide to a sponge and wipe it on the weeds, And I have one on my on my website Gardening with Skip dot com. It tells you how to build a weed wiper if you want to go check that out, and that way you can go underneath the rosebush. This little device applies to the herbicide to the weed and doesn't spray, doesn't get on your rosebush or in the soil or anything.
Speaker 2: I may try the mulching idea first, so I appreciate it.
Speaker 16: Thank you so much.
Speaker 6: With Mike, all right, if you happen to have a newspaper and know someone who still takes a paper, you put about four to six sheets a newspaper down after you've kind of mowed the weeds back or weeded in them back a little bit. You put four to six sheets a newspaper and then throw your mulch on top of that. That paper will rot in time, but it does a better job of blocking all the light out and getting those weeds under control.
Speaker 22: All right, I appreciate it, thanks sir, have a good.
Speaker 6: Day, all right, you bet, thank you. I appreciate that. The folks at Medina have been making products for a very long time. In fact, I think that's one of the first sponsors of garden Line, before it was even Gardenline was Medina agg products, and Medina has, you know, really made a name for themselves with things like the has to Grow. Has to Grow is kind of a standard product they have. They have one called has to Grow plant Food. It's a six twelve six and fallish for planting. And if you're going to put a plant in the ground, get you some has to Grow six twelve six, put it in a watering can and just water your plants in with it. Use that as your drench to water your plants in six twelve six lots of phosphorus the middle number. You can even put a little bit water some down in the bottom of the hole, put the plant in, water it again, and then fill up with soil and water it again. And that medinosoil activator that's in there will stimulate biological activity. They've got humic acid in has to Grow six to twelve six plant food as well. You can get in a quart bottle with a measuring cup. That makes it real easy. You can do hose in sprayer if you want to go that route about it. It's not gonna burn your plants. It will build up the biological activity. It will promote fruiting and blooming, and it's excellent for transplanting excellent. So whether you're putting in fall vegetables or fall flours, or that are a rose bush or a tree, this fall has to grow six twelve six. That's as simple as that. You need to do that really really help get them off to goods. Are I always like to do it. People forget to give their plants a boost when they're getting unplanted, and that is very important. That plant is trying to get established and it's just not real easy easy for the plant it needs. It needs a little help in that process. For those of you up in the Montgomery area, you've got an A plants and produce right on your doorstep there on one oh five on the east side of Montgomery. I was up there recently, had a really good time out there for the folks that came out and visited with us. We had a good time.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 6: A and A has got every fertilizer I talk about Nitroposs Nelson, the All Nelson's turf Star line, microlife products. They've got all of the heirloom soils in nature's way, the leaf mole compost for example. They have you set up to have success with I say, brown stuff before green stuff, meaning fix the soil, then plant the plant. They've got everything you need for the brown stuff to get off to a good start. Their fall colors outstanding. I just saw some beautiful asters, beautiful moms. A and A has what you need. Just swing by there on one oh five, if you're on on one, if you live at one of those lake neighborhoods out at Lake Conroe, this is your backyard garden center. A and A Plants and produce in Montgomery. All right, time for me to take a break. I will be right back, and when we come back, Suzanne and Laporte, you'll be our first stop. Welcome back, Welcome back to the garden line, Little Kobe Calais this month. You know, I have talked about Nelson products for a number of years and I've used them for a number year. Nelson makes quality fertilizers, they just do. Their turf Star line is outstanding. And when it comes to fall, the turf Star product you need to be looking at is carbo load. Carbo load white carbo load, because when you put it down, it's got good potassium and some nitrogen. Good potassium content to help the grass build carbohydrates. Sun shines on plant leaves. Plant leaves make carbohydrates. Carbohydrates creates winter hardiness and helps your long come out stronger in the spring. The most important fertilization of the year if you want to have a good, strong early growth in your grass, is the fall fertilization because it's using the nutrient load that it went into winter with to come out in spring. Carbo Load by turf Star it works. It has a pre emergent herbicide in it, and so you do not want to delay. With just regular fertilizers. You can put them on and late September, in October, you know, whenever you want to put them down, you can put them down. But with carbo load, I would do that early. I would do that now. Now is the time to do that, because you're going to put it down. You're going to water it in with about a half inch or so of water just to move the nutrients and that product pre emergent into the soil surface. That way, when we get a call front, when the weather cools off a bit, when we get some rain and those weed seeds starts to sprout, the carboload pre emergent is there ready for it. So you get the nutrient and you get the pre emergent all in one product from Nelson plant Food. And again Nelson widely available, not hard to find Nelson products in the Greater Houston area. Let's go to Laporte now and talk to Suzanne. Hey, Suzanne, welcome to Guardline.
Speaker 25: Hi Skip, thanks for taking my call. I appreciate it. I live down here in Laporte near the bay, and I have an enormous backyard. It receives full sun. It's about one thousand feet. It has several places that are browning, and it looks kind of tacky, however, and it still has areas that are green. We were out of town on travel for a long time, and when we returned, that's the way it was. The lawn crew took care of it, but just mode and you know, typical yard care like that. My question is now, some green grass is growing through all of the brown throughout the yard. And I purchased the stuff the Texas three Steps. So I was wondering, Okay, should we go ahead and apply that or is that foolish to apply it to a yard in such bad shape?
Speaker 6: No, No, you need to apply it to the yard and bad shape here's why the three step is going to be three. As you know, three things. It's a fall special Winner riser designed for that, and so that will help your lawn get stronger. So coming out in spring it's going to be in better shape. So you definitely need to do the fall Special Winner riser. The barricade is of course the pre emergent herbicide, and both the fertilizer and the barricade you want to water them in after you apply them, to get them down in the soil surface, because your lawn struggling means the sunlight is hitting the soil, and wherever sunlight hits the soil, nature plants of weeds. So you're gonna have cool season weeds germinating in a lawn that's gotten thinner like that. So barricade ahead of time is important. That means, that means to it. Now, who knows when the neck round coldfront's going to hit the cool things off a little, and so go ahead and get it down. And then the fung aside that one, you don't need to water in so much. It's a systemic product that you put on your lawn. Just a little bit of water, just a little bit to put down and it'll move into the grass plant. And so when brown patch hits or take all root route, which both occur in the fall, that it is in the plant to defend the plant. If you wait until after the circles appear, it's a little late to stop because they've already it's already created the brown spots, brown circles in the lawn. So yes, all of those are important, especially and you're so situation okay?
Speaker 19: Perfect?
Speaker 25: And should I do all should we do all three of those at the same time?
Speaker 6: You can do them all on the same day. Don't mix products in the same hopper. So spread the fertilizer, then come back and put the barricade in. Spread it, then come back.
Speaker 25: You know, I'm sorry.
Speaker 6: I would do the fertilizer. That's okay, I would do maybe I was talking over you. I would I would do the fertilizer in the barricade on the ground, and then water men really good, okay. And then with the eagle, just follow the label. Follow the label on that. It is going to be a granular you put on, so you are going to want to water it too. Just check the volumes on those, uh it, Maybe you can put all three and then water or that you would do the first two water and then maybe when you put the eagle down watered in as well.
Speaker 25: But it'll tell you okay, perfect, And that last one is is the turf eagle right?
Speaker 6: Yeah, eagle turf funder side eagle.
Speaker 25: Turf that's on your side. Okay, Oh that sounds great. I'm excited, Thank you very much.
Speaker 6: Yeah, what you bet?
Speaker 16: You bet.
Speaker 6: If you go to my website gardening with skip dot com, you can see my schedule there. There's one for fertilizing and there's one for pest disease and weeds. If you look on there, you'll see those products and you'll see exactly the timing on the eagle turf fung your side. I might do a second if you feel like you've got some take all root rot, which I'm kind of wondering if you do, based on some things you've said, you may want to repeat it again in November again, because that take all is a problem and we really need to get ahead of it. So just be ready to do a second eagle in November if you think you may have some of the take all root rot, and i'd have to see a sample to know for sure on that.
Speaker 25: All right, that's great advice. Okay, now that chands good. I enjoy your program so much. Thank you for your help.
Speaker 6: Well, thanks, thanks, thanks for being a listener. I appreciate that you take care. Our phone number is seven one three two one two KTRH if you would like to give me a call seven KTRH Quality Home Products. You hear me talk about it all the time. They sell the Generac automatic standby generators, uh, and they do an outstanding job. Their reputation is like none other in the industry because they walk your hand all the way through the process. They they serve the customer and after the sale as well. Right now they're hiring they've had so many people wanting generators that they are hiring licensed electricians and plumbers. Now other companies they'll go out and subcontract out for those kind of people. Generak has them in house. You work for Generaic, they have their own. That is an advantage for you the customer too. By the way, license electrician and plumbers, so that means that if you are interested, if your license and you're interested, let me take out their company perks the competitive pay certainly they do medical, dental, vision coverage. They have a four oh one K matching retirement plan, paid holidays. They do the training programs because they want their people to be up to speed exactly on the work that they do. A lot of opportunities for growth there, you know, with Quality Home, you're talking about over fourteen thousand five star reviews. You're talking about Houston Chronicles best of the Best Home Contractor in twenty twenty three, you're talking about the Better Business Bureau Awards it. This is a company. If that's the kind of service you want to provide, you need to call Quality Home and look in to be in one of their licensed electricians and plumbers. Go to Quality TX dot com and apply online Quality tx dot com. You can apply online. Simple as that all right, Time for me to take a little break here, Mark and friends would when we come back, you'll be our first job. Welcome back, Welcome back to Guardline, folks. Good to have you with us as always, looking forward to talking to you about the things that you're interested in. What are your questions and how can we help here on guard Line. That's what we're up to. Have you been to the antiqu rosen Porium lately? Antique rosen poiums out there in Independence, Texas. It's just a little hop skipping or jump out and it's a great little outing for any afternoon to get out there and do that. Not too far away, but it's like you enter another world. It is. It is truly just a wonderland. Of course, they're roses, that's what that's the main thing. But don't just think roses. They are stocked up with vegetables and herbs, native plants, color plants like violas and snap dragons, Dianthus alvia's fall asters. Everybody needs to have fall aster in their landscape because it gives you, you know, we have four seasons. We had to have color in four seasons. Every year the fall asters come back with beautiful color. Your pollinators will be happy. They are loaded with all these plants. Like they like to say, it's we are roses and so much more. When you head to ANTIQ Rosenporium, tell them I sent you. You need to hear this, listen to this, tell them I sent you, and get ten percent discount at checkout. But you gotta tell them, hey, I heard Skip talked about you on guard line. Or if you're going to order online, which you can do at the antiqu rosm Porium. You enter coupon code skip twenty twenty four, skip to zero two four do that. Give anti Rosenporium a call nine seven, nine, eight, three, six fifty five forty eight, or go to Antique Roseimporium dot com Antique Roseimporium dot com. They've got lots of good things coming up. Especially I want to tell you about the Fall Festival of Roses November one, two and three. Now it's a it's a festive, ticketed garden party on Friday, November first. That's a ticket. You got to get in there for a special party they have then on Saturday and Sunday. It's free and open to the public. And they have outstanding speakers. Paul Zimmerman, one of our rosariums, will be there talking. Chris Weissinger, the bulb Hunter. Chris is always outstanding. Mike Sarrant for Microlife, Henry Flowers, doctor Steven George. Oh my gosh, friend of mine from way way back. Stephen created the earth Kind program. Doctor George. They're gonna have an artist in market food trucks, plants, trees, perennials, tools, fertilizers. They're gonna have gift items, and of course they're gonna have roses Fall Festival of Roses November one, two three. Go to the website Antique Rosenporium dot com. Sign up for it and don't forget. When you buy something, tell them that I sent you. Get ten percent off or if you do it online coupon code Skip. Twenty twenty four. We're gonna go now to friends Wood and talk tomorrow, Kello, Mark, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 19: Hey, Skip, thanks for taking my call. Yes, so I have a question. Hey, I'm sorry, Yeah, I have a question on a crate myrtle. I cut it last year.
Speaker 7: I cut all my crate myrtles last year, and one in particular.
Speaker 19: It just it's quick growing. I did spray it down with I've got some I guess some.
Speaker 21: I don't know what it is so.
Speaker 19: Black that grows on one of the and it was actually on a different.
Speaker 24: Crape myrtle, but the one in particular I actually spray down and I cut it and it is totally quick growing. I've recut it and I see that it has green and it actually is blowing. It's growing a little bit of a black stuff on the sides.
Speaker 7: Of on the on the trunk, but.
Speaker 19: It hasn't grown in eight months, nine months, So I don't know if you had a solution or what I should do.
Speaker 6: That's very strange. Yeah, it's very strange. Crapes are usually pretty good about re sprouting when you cut them back. Something is not quite right with it. I don't know if maybe it's a little on the dry side or some other issue is going on. You know, I don't have the crystal ball on what it could be, but but it sounds to me like first thing I think about, is it getting outequate soul moisture.
Speaker 21: Uh.
Speaker 6: The black on the trunk is a sign of crepe myrtle bark scale. And if you can get a systemic insecticide that you apply as a drench around the plant, Okay, systemic insecticide. And if you go into your down there in Friendswood, you got an ACE hardware store close by, uh, and go in and say I need a I need a systemic drench herbicide for scale insecticide, not herbicide insecticide for scale. I'm gonna give you. Do you have a pin or pencil handy?
Speaker 15: I do?
Speaker 21: I do?
Speaker 6: Okay, I'm gonna spell something out, d I n O dino.
Speaker 10: T e f.
Speaker 6: T e F you are a n so I'm gonna say it again, dino taf fr ron d E d I n O t e you are an oh n an. Anyway, ask for that ingredient if you can find it. If they don't, they have another one, that's okay too. But if you can find the dinner tept run, follow the label, mix it up, drench it. It goes up in the plants, plumbing, and it kills those scale because they're just like ticks on a dog, you know, just sort of dragging it down a little bit more. And let's go ahead and knock that out on that particular Kramer.
Speaker 19: Okay, I appreciate it, Thank you so much. Yes, sir, all right, you bet.
Speaker 6: You good luck, good luck with that. If you want to have compost op dressing done, now is a good time to do it. And if you live in the northwest quadrant of Houston. And what do I mean by that, I mean just imagine Interstate forty five Interstate ten, the northwest quadrant that is the service area for green Pro. They cover about forty five minutes from or forty five miles from Magnolia. That's Spring Cyprus Woodlands, Conrad Willis and then over up into Magnolia, Montgomery and down to Katie West Houston, Central North Houston, that area all right now through fall. You need to hear this now through fall. If you hire them to do a compost top dressing, they will do for free the aeration of your lawn, but you have to do a two yard minimum. You can't buy a yard a compost and do that. If you get a two yard minimum of compost top dressing done, then they do the aeration for free. Price to start at five seventy five plus tax. It they're hauling a very expensive equipment around. They're hauling a lot of bulk material around. That's why they have a service area. But they do a good job. And if your lawn is struggling, if it's take all damage, if it's chinchbugs, if it's just drought or whatever it is foot traffic, especially compaction compost top dressing follow with a aerration is a way to get oxygen and organic material back down into the soil and really help that grassroots system to thrive. Greenpro greenpro dot net is the website, the phone number two eight one three five one forty seven thirty three. I'm gonna give you that again two eight one three five one four seven three three greenpro dot Net. Well, now go to Charlie in Spring Texas. Hey, Charlie, welcome to Guardline.
Speaker 21: Hey skip that we're doing this morning?
Speaker 6: Well, sir, how can it help? Yeah?
Speaker 21: So, I have a pair of a crape myrtles at my house and for the last light I would say two years or so, and there's just like this thick like black tar that's just literally you can see it dripping off of the leaves. I mean, it's getting all over the cars. But it's only the two that are about ten feet from each other. The other one on the other side of the driveway it doesn't have it. And my wife and I, I mean we returned them every year they roll back, but it's just like I would say, about six months out of the year, there's just this real thick black tar that's just literally just dripping all over our cars.
Speaker 6: Okay, Well, Charlie, that is crepe myrtle bark scale, and the crpe myrtle itself will sometimes drip. There are different insects that suck the sugary juices out of plants, and then they basically pee out the sugar water and wherever it lands, you get soot all over the plant. And if it's if it's a sugary water, it may be black as well. But the bottom line is you got to kill the insect to stop that. And it's not generally something that kills crpe myrtles, but it sure makes them look bad. And then you get the junk on your picnic table or your car or whatever you're sitting underneath the tree. I don't know if you heard that last color, but Dino Teferon is a drench that you can purchase that I think would be the way to go at this point in the season. I hesitate recommending it earlier in the season just because the great myrtles and the blooms and the bees and things. But at this point in the season you could go ahead and do that and it would be fine. And are you are you in spring or are you in a spring branch?
Speaker 21: I'm in a Spring?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 6: Okay, okay, good? Well up around spring. You've got an Ace Hardware store there on Spring Stiper's Road, Spring Ace Hardware. That's probably the closest to you. There's some other aces around. There's one over on Rayford Road as well, all Star Ace. But they're gonna probably have the systemics. They'll have Dino Tevron, or they'll have and that's the ingredient, not the brand name, or they'll have something else that's a systemic insecticide for scale. They can point you to just follow the label and go ahead and get it done while they're still sap flowing in the plant.
Speaker 21: Okay, yeah, we'll do, We'll do, sir.
Speaker 16: I appreciate it. Thank you.
Speaker 6: I appreciate your call very much. Well, we guy as far as we could this hour. Folks Ms V and Conroe, Charlie and are a Rose in texts Textra Cana. You'll be our first two up. If you can hang around until we come back. I want to remind you today I'm gonna head over to U. Cannon's Native Plants. They are having their fall Fest, and their fall Fest is a very very fun time. Go by and check it out. They're gonna have things like the Wonder Pops, which is a frozen dessert company. It's gonna be there. They'll have a costume contest. They're gonna have live live music going on. I'll be there answering your gardening questions from twelve to two. Now, the whole Fall Fest is from ten to three, but I'll be there from twelve to two for two hours giving them one hundred dollars gift certificate. You got a register to win and a bag of Microlife brown Patch as well. For those lucky folks that come by and happen to win. Stop in, Bring me some samples, bring me some photos. Let's figure out how to help you have a better lawn and garden. That's what we're there for. Can't wait to meet you. Come on out.
Speaker 1: Welcome to k t r H Garden Line with Scape Richard.
Speaker 6: It's just watch him as.
Speaker 10: Us.
Speaker 6: So many things to suppos.
Speaker 10: A sign.
Speaker 6: Hey, welcome back to Garden Line. Welcome back. Good to have you with us today. We are talking plants, Surprise Surprise, and it's a call in show Surprise Surprise seven one three two one two k t r H. We're here to help you have a bountiful garden and a beautiful landscape. Remember, your thumb is not brown. It is not brown. It is uninformed and if if if you want to call it brown then let's turn it green with a little good information and advice. That's what we're here about here. You know, when you get the right kind of plant, when you take care of it right, when you plant it right and give it the care it needs, you're going to have success. And that's exactly a reason why I would tell you to go to a place like Plants for All Seasons on two forty nine up toward Tomball Parkway, right just north of Luetta. So if you're going up toward Tomball and you exit Luetta crossover Luetta, it's right there on the right hand side. And what am I What do I mean by that? What I mean by that is this. They sell plants that grow here. They've been doing this since nineteen seventy three. They know what grows here. They've seen it all. They've been through the years where said web worms were sabed. They couldn't even put the phone down before it rang again. You know, they know those kinds of things, and they know how to take care of plants. You walk in and you go, you know what, here's a picture of a plan, here's a sample of a plant. Can you help me with this? Of course they will whether you bought it there or not, they'll ho with it and then they'll put a plant in your hand that will be a better choice for it. If that's what's needed. Do you need products to go with your plants? Outstanding supply of products if you're organic, if you're synthetic, whatever it is, they've got the supplies that you need for you. So if you have got a brown thumb and you want to turn it green, you need to visit Plants for All Seasons. If your thumb's already green, well you already know about plants for all seasons. This family owned and operated Say's nineteen seventy three, from education, a selection to delivery, you name it. They can do it at Plants for All Seasons dot com. That's the website, Plants for All Seasons dot com, or give them a call to eight one three seven six sixteen forty six. They're stocked up with all your fall, fertilization, pest, theeze, disease control, all that. They're stocked up on that. So swing by there and when you're grabbing some plants, grab some of that as well. For example, they also have a great selection of microlife products. You know microlife life is the fertilizer. It's what we think of as our Houston born organic fertilizer sold all over the state now. But microlife is loaded with micronutrients. And those of you who are interested in gardening organically, you already know about microlife. For fall, the microlife you want to be putting out? Is there? Brown patch, that's what it's called. Now that sounds like a disease fungicide, Well it's not. It is a fertilizer. Microlife brown patch. It's a five to one to three fertilizer, got a little extra potassium in it to help it. But it's loaded with microbes. And when you load something up with microbes, you make the plants happier. Plants need microbes. And when it comes to diseases like the brown patch that attacks our grass in the fall, things like microlife brown patch and microlife bioenoculant. That's a second thing, bioinoculan. Sixty three different beneficial microorganism strains, and there's just loaded different kinds of things. Some of them produce antibiotics. Some of these microbes produce antibiotics to help the plant. Some of them out compete the disease on the plant's surface. So you're putting out good guys out there if you will, to just create this jungle that some of the diseases have a more difficult time establishing in. And by applying microlife you get a good gradual feed to take care of your plants the way plants want to be taken care of. Microlife brown patch and micro grow bioenoculent. Those are the two you need to be putting down for your fall season. Just go to my gardening schedule online at gardening skip dot com you learn more about these types of things. I'm going to go now, let's see where were we We're going to go to talk to Miss V in Conroe. Hello, Miss V, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 26: Bye, Hi, sir, Hi. I just came across your strict station, so I quickly jotted down what I wanted to ask, and you can give me the shortcut quickly because it's five questions.
Speaker 22: From I ask.
Speaker 26: I have a hot and I'm eighty years old, so I'll catch on very quick. I just bought a Honda, the most modern how you say, push one that goes, it walks or whatever. It can bag back and mulsh and mulch. I would like to know, should I use the mult setting when I'm cutting my grass and let the grass just fall and leave it there.
Speaker 6: Okay, First of all, misbae, I like you already. I like you already. So here's what you need to do. Whenever you maulch, you're chopping up the grass clippings to put them back in the lawn. And that is a good thing to do. Now, if it rains and you can't mow for a while, and now you got this knee deep grass out there in the front yard, go ahead and bag those and use them as a mulch around your plants and the gardens and beds. But whenever you can turn those clippings back into the soil, it's a good idea because that adds nutrients. It's free or gain fertilizer every time you mow and you return the clipping. So yes, you should do that. Okay, with your nice now.
Speaker 26: Now for and don't ask me why I keep forgetting When it's like going to the grocery store. I keep buying this winter rise at home depot. I have eight bags. Can I put the winter rise now or not?
Speaker 11: Now?
Speaker 26: Wait for November December, winter rise.
Speaker 6: Now's the time. I don't know what's in that product. I wouldn't I would shop definitely. Well, all right, all the label on it.
Speaker 26: Okay, okay, this is a month to do.
Speaker 6: I don't know if you can take any of that bag. But you don't need eight bags of fertilizer. I I can tell you that, no, without getting into which one.
Speaker 26: Yeah, I'll all of it, but I just want to start using it now. And okay, divide the balls? Can I divide my ball to my day lilies? And anything that's balls?
Speaker 22: Can I divide it any here?
Speaker 6: It is anything that blooms in the spring and summer, you can. You can divide it now. But if it's gonna bloom in the fall, you can divide it in spring. That's the better time. Think of it as the season opposite when it blooms.
Speaker 26: Okay, okay. Now, you remember, many many, many many years ago, the gentleman that had to get off the air. You know why, And I ain't gonna go there. He used to promote Medina, Medina, Medina. You know who I'm speaking about, right, No.
Speaker 6: But listen, this is gonna have to be my last question. But you can call back. What is your question?
Speaker 26: Yeah? Can I use the medina that I've had for fifteen years or close to twenty years. I've never opened it. It's all liquid and different things has growed the whole thing. It's all medina. Can I use to think of promoting?
Speaker 6: Yeah, don't, don't worry about it. Just I don't know. It's not gonna be bad, but it's probably it may not be effective at what it's doing. Like what if they're not made to last that long? Mix it up in some water and apply it on a few plants, see how it does, and then apply the rest of you. Okay, thank you, ma'am. I gotta run. I gotta run. I got a line of people here that are waiting to talk to me, So feel free to call any time you want you. I like you all right. Oh gosh, that you threw me off there, ladies, thank you, miss me. Hey, I gotta go to a break right now. I'll be right back. Rose in textall Canada, Paula, Missouri City. You'll be our first up come. I think there. I think I threw through the board off as well. Okay, boy, I like talking to people here on guarden line. You know that's this good. I like gardeners. Gardeners are fun. That is that is fun right to the hay No more, all right, welcome back to garden Line. I'm ready to go for the next hour. Here, folks, I want to remind you I'm gonna be up Buchanan's Native Plants today after the show. I'll be there from twelve noon to two pm for their Fall festival. This is one heck of a party. You don't want to miss. Bring the kids. If you don't got any kids, go knock on the neighbor's door. Bring their kids. They're gonna have a pumpkin painting, they're gonna have face painting, they're gonna have coloring stations. Hey right, just all kinds of stuff, beanbag toss, ring toss, scavenger hunt, on and on and on. Moon Bounced? Did I say moon Bounce. I'm gonna have to get in that one myself. I'll be there from twelve to two answer your gardening questions, giving away a one hundred dollars gift certificate. You got a registered to win and micro like brown Patch fertilizer whenever you're planting a tree. And I hope if you have any intention of planting a tree in the next year, you do it now because fall is the best time. It gives that new tree all winter to build roots in preparation for summer heat that's coming next year. First summer is a killer on young trees, shrubs, woody vines, all those things. Get them planted.
Speaker 19: Now.
Speaker 6: When you plant that tree, gets you a three sixty degree tree stabilizer.
Speaker 19: What is that.
Speaker 6: It's a bar you hammer in a t post. You attach it to the teeposts or any kind of post of work. It has a loose soft strap that holds onto the tree and allows it to move a little. Movement is important. Movement builds trunk strength, so you don't want to just honker it down with three tight guy wires like you see people do. One three sixty tree stabilizer. If it's a big tree, you can use two at right angles to each other. Will help get that tree established and it last. They last a long time. You just put up hanging up in the garage. Next thing, you plant a tree. Your neighbor plants a tree. You got one. You can get them at RCW, you can get them at Southwest Fertilizer. You can get them at Buchanan's Native Plants, where I'll be today. You can get them at Jorges Hidden Gardens done in Alvin plants for all seasons. I was just talking about them up on two forty nine Arbrigade out west of Tomball. All these places carry the three sixty tree stabilizer. Fall is the best time by far for planting a tree. Three sixty tree stabilizer is the best way to secure that tree but allow the movement needed to build the ultimate trunk strength as it grows. We're going to go now to Missouri City and talk to Paul. Hello Paul, and welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 22: Good morning, Skip.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I called a couple of weeks ago with an issue on my lugustrium bushes, and at the time you told me that I probably had a fungus and you told me to spray with the decument and another chemical. You told me to alternate the spring. What was the name of that other the application, the other.
Speaker 6: One that Yeah, the other one would have been something called Belaton. Yeah, b A y l e B A y l e t o n B A y l e t o n. Now you're going to find that in a lot of different brands. Okay, there's a number of different kinds of belaton out there on the mark. I mean different brands of belaton out there on the market. But the reason I recommend that is because the the the beilaton, the dacanila itself, and the belaton are different types of fungicides, and so by alternating you prevent resistance and it does a better job of controlling the particular disease you've got.
Speaker 10: Okay, okay, okay, understand. So what does the frequency that I spray? Of course I did the Dalcon Hill about two weeks ago, So do.
Speaker 6: What I would do now, go ahead and spray it. Now you can alternate weekly. What is most important is after we get a rain or hopefully your irrigation isn't wetting the foliage, because that makes it a lot worse. But if we get a rain, after the rain drives off, just go out there and spray with the bailaton or the dakanel, and then next time you spray, spray with the other one. And so if we went for like three weeks without a drop of rain, you wouldn't have to spray every week. But you just want to make sure following a rain, you spray because that's when those spores are starting to sprout to infect.
Speaker 10: Okay, so now the foliage that's kind of lime going colored and spotted, and I have to wait for those leaves to fall off before I get new.
Speaker 6: Booms or well no, I mean, you know, it's always good to rake up fallen leaves, always a good idea. And if you've got some on there that are pretty infected, I would just pull them off because they're sick. They're full of spores to reinfect the healthy leaves that are coming out, and so it's just a good idea to go ahead and get rid of those leaves. I know your plants drop leaves, and now I'm telling you to pull more off, but I'm just saying that it's important to make sure that those spores are not out there to reinfect so much.
Speaker 10: Okay, yes, yes, okay, very good, thank you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, those sick leaves aren't doing Imagine this. Imagine you had a house full of people and five people were sick and coughing. Wouldn't you want to send them out of the house so everybody else. That's what those that's what those infected leaves are you know, you go, well, it's only leaves I got left. Well, okay, but when a new one comes and rain splashes, it's going to splash the disease onto the new leaves. So okay, I think you get the idea. Hey, thanks, I appreciate that call. You bet, you bet. Absolutely. Jeges and Gardens is down in Alvin, Texas. Now you probably have heard me talk about horages before. Hoy uh. It's fairly new when it comes to our garden centers here in the Greater Houston area. But they're they're way down there due south, so it's real easy. If you're down in that whole area anywhere around Alvin, Texas, this is this is your hometown garden center. You maybe you're in Santa Fe or Dickens Center, Hillcrest or Arcadia, al Diloma. I'll go even for example, they've got it. They by the way, they carry that three sixty tree stabilizer I was just talking about. They always have a good supply of fruit trees, especially the Centris two. They're always getting in vegetable plants. They got roses, they've got crpe myrtles. They have an outstanding selection of all kinds of quality trees. Jorge has some pretty large ones too. Wednesday. You're not going to pick out and plant, but you want that instant look. He can take care of you and he can do that as well. So I think it's important that you remember when you're going to plant a tree, now's the time to do it. And Jorge has got a great selection right now, So don't delay. Go ahead and stop in there, you know, check it out, and I think you'll find everything that you need at Jorge Hiding Guards. He has own special line of fertilizers too, from Nelson Fertilizer Products. That's excellent for purchasing. When you bring your plants home to put a little bit in, mix it in the soil so those plants take off and do well. Hey is fall hours. He's closed on Mondays now Fall hours closed on Mondays, but Tuesday through Friday nine to three, Saturday and Sunday eight to four. It's got some specials right now on those peaches and pairs and apples and plums and neck greens, all in fifteen gallons and listen, falls a good time to plant them. Fall is a good time to plant those fruit trees as well. From Jorge Hidden Gardens down in Alvin. We are going to go now to Baytown, Texas and talk to Glenn.
Speaker 16: Hello, Glenn, good morning. I've got two quick questions. I know you're busy at tar. I've got when's a good time transplant crape myrtles, And that's the first question. Second question, I've got some tall, wild looking grass growing in my flower beds. It's got long white roots on it, multiple roots, and they all have spikes on the end of them, like needles. It's about three foot tall and it is all over one of my flower beds.
Speaker 6: The roots have spikes on them.
Speaker 16: Yeah, they've got sharp points on them. They're white.
Speaker 6: Okay, Yeah, Glenn, I'm gonna I'm gonna give it my best guess. But that's a little vague of a description for me to be sure. But I think you're talking about torpedo.
Speaker 16: Grass, crazy grass.
Speaker 6: Well, do you know what? Do you know what bermuda grass looks like?
Speaker 16: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Are you familiar with bermuda? If you imagine bermuda on steroids, it's huge, like a giant, monster sized bermuda. That's what torpedo grass looks like. So you just got to make it a lot bigger and a lot taller and stuff. I think that's what you're dealing with. But it doesn't really matter. If it's truly a grass and you get a grass only killer, you can spray it, and those products are made to be able to spray on most ornamentals and it won't hurt them. So like if you have petunias in there or a rose bush, yeah, those grass killers are not going to hurt the petunias in the rose bush, but they move down in the grass and they kill it. So it's really good for getting grass out of your flower beds and things. Oh yeah, yeah. It moves down in the roots and kills the whole thing, because otherwise you're not going to kill that grass you're describing without a systemic So if you if you go to my website Gardening with Skip dot com garden that's me Skip Gardening with Skip dot com and look for there's a publication right at the top of the list on the website herbicides to use with Skip's weed wiper. You don't have to put these on a weed wiper, but that's just what the publication says. Go down and look for grass killers and the two ingredients that do this, and all the products for each of those two ingredients are listed right there for you, and then you can go shopping. Put that out, take a shopping and say what do you got from this list? I need one of these and that then take it home, spray on those on those grass week.
Speaker 16: Do I need to get your roots up and stuff after it kills it?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 6: You know, no, you don't have to just leave it. You can, you know, the dead grass on top, you want to rake it out of the way or something. You can, But no, this is made. You need to give it about a week or so to move down and do its work. They're not real fast, but they're thorough and that's what you need. Your thorough All right, Glenn, we did.
Speaker 16: And my other question was transplanking myrtles. When do I transplane?
Speaker 17: Oh?
Speaker 6: Now, well, late October and November is the best time. So I would say November if all, if you don't have too much transplanting to do any shrub, tree, woody vine, all of those. Once it cools off a little bit, leaves start to fall off of things, you just that's the best time to get a move to put them at the same level they were watermen. Really good and you should be good to go.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 16: I appreciate it so much. Skip, thank you much. Have a good day, you.
Speaker 6: Bet, you bet, Glenn, you have a good day and rest of the weekend. All right, folks, time for a little break. I shall be right back.
Speaker 19: All right.
Speaker 6: Welcome back to garden Line. Good to have you with us this morning. I'm your host, Skip Richter, and we're here to help you have success in your garden. That that's how you go about it. Phone number is seven to one three two one two k t r H seven one three two one two kt r H. Folks at Nelson plant Food one of our local plant food producers here in the Greater Houston area been around a long time. I've been popular for a long time because our products work. I've tried their products and they are everything I've ever tried. From Nelson Plant Food has been an effective fertilizer product. And it's effective because they're designed to be that way, meaning they're designed for our soils and temperatures. They're designed for the plants that you would use them on. For example, azalea and acid loving plant food, azaleas, blueberries, the camellias for example, dogwoods, Guardina's, Holly's hydraegen. These are all plants that benefit from azalea and acid loving plant food from Nelson no it's part of the Nutri Star line that's one of Nelson plant food lines and nutrist and this particular one helps acidify, getting that pH in a place where plants can thrive, where acid loving plants can thrive. Because this pH moves too high or too low or whatever, certain plants aren't going to be happy well with azela food from the Nutri Star line. You're going to have success. And don't just think of it as those kinds of plants. Think of it as irises for magnolias. You got some red buds, if you've got some strawberries, they will do well very well with this as well ferns. You get the idea. Lots of different kinds of plants benefit from it. And it's not going to make your flowerbed just turned suddenly acidic overnight, but it's going to gradually move it in that direction and the plants can get the nutrients and they just do as four different acidifying sources of fertilizer in it and slow released nitrogen for a gradual balanced s feed that's going to last two three months when you put it down. Lots of cottonseed meal and iron in it to supply micronutrients. You know, when pH gets high, iron is limited. Nelson Plant Food, Azalea plant food and for all acid loving plants part of their nutri star line. Easy to find around town and very very effective, that is for sure. Speaking of Nelson, have you been out to Nelson Water Gardens and Katie? Different company, same name, same first name. Nelson Water Gardens is one of those show place garden centers. You go out and they've got all kinds of plants. They've got citrus right now. They got lots of nice citrus streets, all the fall color plants you're looking for, shrubs, trees, vines, just everything you need. They are also and have always been known for their water gardens. So do you need koy or shabunkin or some kind of a fish for your water gardens? Do you need water garden plants? You know, everybody knows about lily pads. There's a lot of other cool plants that go in water gardens, and Nelson's has it. You know, they're the inventor of the disappearing fountain, the one that comes out of an urn like a large pottery vase that goes in the ground and the water recirculates back, so it's just like constantly, forever spilling out of that large vase in the garden. Oh my gosh, you will not believe the supply of those that they have. You need to go out there, take a friend. And I always say they need to charge admission, because I would pay it just to go sit and listen to the sound of the running water all around you. I'm telling you it is psychotherapy. It is so calming and pleasing and when you go, you're going to want to have that at home too. They can come do it for you. They can build a waterfall, they can put in one of those disappearing based fountains, or they can tay you how to do it yourself, however you want to go about it. The folks at Nelson Water Garden and Katie are going to be able to get you set up. Now here's how you get there. You go out to Katie on Iten. You turn right on Katie Fort Ben Road and they're just up the street on the right hand side. The website Nelson Water Gardens. Go check it out. All this stuff going on there, their social media, their website, wealth of good information at Nelson Water Gardens out in Katie. Think of it as your West Houston destination garden center. We are going to head now to Ed in Northwest Houston. Hello Ed, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 15: Thank you, thank you for having me back my net edge, s edge whichever way you're supposed to pronounce it, has gotten out of control in about an area maybe call it.
Speaker 19: Six eight feet square.
Speaker 15: It's amongst Saint Augustine at UDI four has been pretty healthy. And I've been organic, okay for or four years long and short. I'm so afraid to just dump anything on there and maybe missed the dose I'm supposed to put.
Speaker 6: Tell me what you would do, Okay, what I would do? I don't know a good effective organic control for nuts edge other than hand digging it or very long term shading it out, which you can't do in the long yeah.
Speaker 16: Right.
Speaker 6: And so if you go to my website gardening with Skip dot com, there is a publication called going nuts. Is it called going nuts over nuts Edge? I can't eve remember what I called it. It's something like no, it's an in depth look nuts Edge and end depth look. I can't even remember my own website anyway, when you go there, there's also another one on nuts edge. It's briefer, but you need to go read those because they are very helpful in how to control it. I'm going to tell you the fast answer, but I would encourage you to go to my website gardening with Skip dot com and read those free publications. They're very helpful. Now you can do a couple of things. You're going to want to use a product that contains halo sulfur on and most of the time people buy it in some thing called sedge hammer or sedge ender. There are other phone relations. Again those are they're the same product. It's like generic tylenol and not generic tile. It's the same ingredient. So you just you just give which everyone you want, but they're listed on that publication, Mix it according to the label and spray it onto the foliage. It's going to take it a while. Be patient. It may be two weeks and you're going it's just barely looking like it's getting sick. It works, trust me, it does. Anytime that nutsedge comes back and has three to five leaves. You need to spray it again because if you don't, what happens is you'll kill the one you spray, but it already has eight daughter plants, so you have eight times the nuts said you had. And then people that's when people tell me the spray didn't work. Well, the spray didn't work because you waited and let it make eight times more nuts edge before you spray. So make sure and do that. I have got to run here in just a bit, but that is the fastest answer that I can give you. But if you go to that website, it has a lot of good information that will help you. The other thing you can do if you're trying to put less product out is use a weed wiper, and I show you how to build one on the website where you don't spray it, but the spray won't hurt your grass.
Speaker 15: So just okay, that was because I was willing to get out there with cotton bowls and Q tips and try to get it.
Speaker 6: Okay, Yeah, no need of that, but you ought to. You ought to go check out my weed wiper on there. I think it's pretty cool. It's homemade, and it's cheap and easy and it works better than cotton balls and qtas. Yeah, all right, you bet, Thank you very much. I appreciate appreciate your call a lot.
Speaker 24: Uh.
Speaker 6: You know, when it comes to making sure your lawn looks its best, you not going to do better than a good quality aeration and compost top dressing. It has two things. It puts oxygen in the soil by creating holes. It pops the plugs out. It doesn't just squeeze a hole in the pops them out. B and B turf Pros they do it. Here's their website BB Turfpros dot com. BB turf Pros dot com. High quality work. Their goal is to do top quality work and make the customer satisfied, and they really do. They only use quality products like Ciena Maltz for example, for their their top dressing compost. They do things right. I've talked to them, I've seen the jobs, I've seen the reviews. They get no question about recommending BB turf Pros. They cover the south and west part of the listening area. So if you are somewhere out there, let's say you're out in Sugarland or Missouri City, all the way across to Pearland and down to Manville. You know that includes all down Highway six, Fresno, CNR Cola, Iowa, Calmly. That's their service area and you need to give them a call or go to the website bb Turfpros dot com. Here's the phone number seven one three two three four fifty five ninety eight seven one three two three four five five nine eight. Without hesitation, I can tell you you're going to be happy with the job BnB turf bb BnB turf Pros does for your lun It's time for me to take a little break when we come back. We got a load here. Ruth and fullsher Ralph, Charlie and Lee. You'll all be lined up when we come back. Welcome back, folks, Welcome back to guarden Line. Good to have you with us today. Good to have you with us day. I was telling somebody a while to go that BnB turf Pros uses the top quality materials from CN Malts and cnamals, does things right. I talk on garden Line about brown stuff before green stuff, which means if you fix the soil first, your plants will thrive. So before you put a plant in the ground, get the soil right. CN Malts is your brown stuff place. They've got the composts, they've got the bed mixes. They've got stuff like the heirloom soils, veggie and herb mix for example, that's just an example. They got mulches, they got compost they got bed mixes. They have every fertilizer I talk about. I mean everyone, we're talking about microlife, Azamite, Nelson, turf Star, products from heirloom soils, products from Landscaper's Pride. They've got nitrophost fertilizers, Nelson fertilizer, Medina fertilizers. That's what I mean. They've got it all, and the mulches as well. The Cienamlts is down just north of Road Sharon. They're on FM five twenty one. So those of you south of Houston, this is your local place for everything you need to create the best soil on earth for your plants and falls for planting. That means you need to get out to Ciena Maltz. They're open Monday through Friday, seven thirty to five, Saturday seven thirty to two, open till two today and closed on Sunday. They'll deliver within twenty miles for small fee and you can go pick it up if you want to do that, by the bag, by the bulk, whatever you want. They're near Highway six and two eighty eight, just north of Road Sharon, FM five twenty one. Here's the website that'll tell it all, Sienna Mulch dot com Ciena Multch dot com. We're gonna go now to fullsher and talk to Ruth. Hey, Ruth, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 2: Hi Skip, I have a quick question.
Speaker 27: About now it's leaving my brain the pre emergent Okay, barricade.
Speaker 16: Yep.
Speaker 27: I have my yards scheduled for corporation and compost top dressing in mid November. Should I put barricade down now or will that be negated by the correoration.
Speaker 6: That is a that's a tough call. When if you put the barricade down now, it'll be ready whenever the weeds sprout. If you wait until after the November aerration, you're probably already gonna have weeds that have sprouted by that time. There are some that's brought in November and December and whatnot, but we like to get ahead of them all now the problem of putting barricade down now is whenever they come in in core air rate. They're making a hole and bringing soil up to the surface to sit on top, and you potentially could get some weed germination in that. I think, all things considered, i'd go ahead and do the barricade now, and then in November do the cororation and compost stop dressing. The compost top dressing will help a little bit with weed germination too, because compost shades the soil a little bit. It's not a thick layer of compost top dressing, but it helps a little bit.
Speaker 27: And will the compost top dressing replace the fall fertilization or do I need to fertilize on top?
Speaker 6: No, it's not near the quantity. Yeah, the fall fertilization. I would get that done now too. Go ahead and let's see you were in full Sure, Yeah, I would go ahead and do that in the next two weeks or so. I'd get the barricade out in early October. And the longer you wait, the more risk you run of a colfront coming in with some rain and here come the weed seed sprouting before you've gotten the barricade down. Well, you just gave me a whole bunch of work to do. I know, I did I'm sorry, but that's that's the fun part, you know, funny. You know there's a there that is the fun part. There's a quote I like, and it says, when I'm overwhelmed and stressed and unable to think, I go out in the garden to work. It's cheaper than a shrink. So think of it this way. I just saved your money.
Speaker 22: Thank you, Bye.
Speaker 6: Bye bye. You take care. Yeah, that's right. D and D Feed and Tomball is your hometown feed store out there. They're west Tomball on twenty nine to twenty. If you hit out twenty nine to twenty, they're just low ways out on the left hand side. D and D Feed's been around a while and they just keep making the place better. Last summer they expanded it made it even better place than it was before. They've got their nitrofoss fertilizers in. You know, you can find things like you hear me talk about here on garden line. They've got it there at D and Defeed inside. Oh, by the way, they also have age leaf, more composts. They've got airloom soils, rose soil, their fruit berry and citrus soil, their veggie and herb soil, I mean they stock up and when you go inside you're going to find things for weeds and diseases and insects on your plants. I check in there every now and then, and I'm always amazed at the supply of things. Some things I would have thought, yeah, you probably can't buy that over the counter. They've got it at D and Defeat. Just to help you have success, that's what they're all about. D and Defeed on twenty nine to twenty just west of Tomball. Here's a phone number two eight one three five one seventy one forty four. We're going to head now out to Chapel Hill and talk to Ralph. Hey, Ralph, welcome to garden Line. Well, thank you very much.
Speaker 16: Appreciate your show. Box Woods.
Speaker 6: Yes, sir, the occasionally, sometimes frequently, we have individual stems and leaves just die, so we cut them out. The rest of the slant looks fine and typically it fills in.
Speaker 2: But what can we do to know what's going on and to prevent this?
Speaker 6: You know, it's weird. Different things can cause that. You know, a couple of Decembers ago we had an early freeze that did some stem damage. The boxers weren't ready and they got some damage like that. If you've got a canker disease of the stem that kills the stem, then everything out from that spot turns turns tan colored on a box wood and dye, and you just want to prune out below them. When you prone out, get some lyesol and spray your printer in between cuts. Just in case it was a canker on the stem. You don't want to spread that disease with your pruning wounds. So that's just a side tip for that. It could be something going on in the soil diseases. There's nematodes that attack box woods, and so it's kind of hard to say what it is. Just make sure they get adequate water and do that sanitary pruning. That's what I would suggest based on what you've told me. All Right, all right, we'll do that. Thank you, all right, Ralph, all right, have fun, boy. Chapel Hill is a beautiful place. I envy you living out there. Thanks thanks for Colin. Appreciate that a lot. Yep, that's right. While ago I was talking about the barricade of Lady called in about barricade Ruth did, and I forgot to tell you. You know, if you want to buy any of the three step products from Nitrofoss, you can go to in Chenney Gardens and Richmond. You can go to Shades of Texas up in the Woodlands. You can go to Plants for All Seasons on Tombaill Parkway, the D and D Feed. I was just telling you about them. They've got it down down in Student Airline area or over in stupid a hiding and Feed carries them out there as well, so they're really really easy to find. Uh, let's see. I'm gonna go now to Charlie at West U. Hey, Charlie, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 5: Hi, Skip, I have newds in the yard. And and also it's new Asian jasmine. The person that put it in advised me to I could to water it for five minutes.
Speaker 15: A day in the morning.
Speaker 5: And every other day. Okay, but that doesn't seem like enough. It seems like yeah, no, but.
Speaker 6: I'm hearing music in my ear, so yeah, I'm hearing music America. I'm gonna give you a quick one. If you want to hang on over the break, we can keep talking. But basically the first week, twice a day, not too much, but twice a day. The second week every day once a day, and the third week every other day, and then you can back off.
Speaker 22: I'll be okay.
Speaker 5: How long should I keep it on in the first especially the first week?
Speaker 6: Oh just put a put a straight side container and water until you've caught about a half inch of water. That's enough.
Speaker 22: Okay, all right, okay, you bet.
Speaker 6: All right, Thank you, sir. I appreciate that I am not hearing music, so I'm assuming I'm done. I'll be right back.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Katie r. H Garden Line with scamp Rictor.
Speaker 10: Just watch him as.
Speaker 6: Many birthdays. All right, folks, welcome back, Welcome back to your guard line. We are entering our last hour of the morning, nine to ten. We're here from six am to ten am every Saturday and Sunday morning, and so some of you have called in today. I have said this the first time to listen in. Welcome. Tell your friends and neighbors about it. We get calls from pretty far away, so where they live, I think they can find some things that will be helpful to them. And maybe that neighbor that won't take care of his yard just I'm just saying, you know, maybe an't, hey, why don't you listen to garden line. Maybe we can help with that too. No promises there though, No promises there, that's for sure. I've wanted to tell you a little bit about Pierce Caapes. I've talked about them a lot, and I've told you things like, if you need landscape lighting, they can do it. If you need hard escape, they can do it. If you have drainage issues, they can do it. If you want design work, they can do it. I know that's a lot, right that, right there is more than not, but it gets better. They do quarterly maintenance. So your beds aren't looking really good, just sign up with the Peerscape. Say I want you to do the quarterly man and it's they'll come out, they'll weed, they'll fertilize, they'll put in extra molts. They'll change color seasonally, you know, every time we change from summer to winter and so on, it's time to change the flowers out. And they'll do all that air rating, trimming, they'll check the irrigation make sure it's working. That's a pretty cool thing. But if you want to create just an outstanding outdoor location, I'm talking about an outdoor living room and yes, outdoors is rooms too, to go out to have a barbecue pet, maybe a beautiful rock barbecue pet, a gorgeous water feature in the landscape. I mean, you want to create magic outside, they can do that. If Piercescapes does it all, I'd highly recommend you go to the website because when you get there, you're going to see the kind of work they do. When Piercecapes does work, it is showplace work. I mean it really is. Here's the web piercescapes dot com. Piercescapes dot com to eight one three seven fifty sixty two eight one three seven five zero six zero. Listen. If this summer is taking its toll and you need to revamp some badge, redesign, get some new plants in. Maybe some things are a little more uh heat tolerant of our area. Whatever you're looking for, give Pierscapes a call and they'll come out and they can do it big or small. They do outstanding work. Go to the website. Please. Every time I go there, I see about ten things. It's like, Oh, I'd like to do that in my yard. That's pretty cool. Let's go out to Humble, Texas and we're going to talk to Lee. Hey, Lee, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 22: Good morning.
Speaker 9: I'm going to student. I went to Warrens and bought some plants and I have to repot them.
Speaker 22: Now.
Speaker 9: Does it matter whether I use garden soil or potting soil.
Speaker 6: You're going to put them in containers?
Speaker 22: Right, Yes?
Speaker 9: I am a seven gallon containers.
Speaker 5: Huh?
Speaker 6: Yeah? You want a potting mix for a seven gallon container? Yeah, use a potting mix. Warren sells something by Earloom Soils called The Works potting soil. The Works, that's the name of it, and it is outstanding for that. Now in a seven gallon container, you probably could get away using you know, like a rose soil or a veggie and herb mixed soil as well a bag of those. But either way you go, you're going to have success well, and just make sure your your drainage is good in those containers. Okay. That means the holes in the bottom are draining out well. If they don't have holes, you need to make sure they do. And that with a good soil and good drainage, you're gonna have success.
Speaker 9: One, thank you, Skip appreciate it.
Speaker 6: You bet Hey, did you have fun out there at Warren's. They got a lot of cool stuff in out there. Yeah, all right, you take care. I'm sorry you did I miss something? Did you say something?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 6: I think we think we passed like ships in the night on that last little bit. By the way, Warrens has got your organic lawn care options ready to go. They carry the micro Life six two four, or they carry the Sweet Green for example. They carry that as MTE. They carry the things to deal with weeds, you know, the fall special fertilizer from Nitrofoss, the carbe load which is a fall fertilizer plus pro emergent from Nelson. It's all there. They've got mums, an ornamental kale, oh gosh, beautiful, beautiful color for fall, and the ornamental kale will go all through the wintertime. It is a very very hearty foliage plant, and the cool season color beds. If you are looking to get a fall planter, you can buy one there, or they can help you pick out the best plants and make your own if you want to go about it that way, they can do that too. The pumpkin patches open, Grab the kids, phone the neighbors, get out there. The pump and patch ed warrens. Even gardens is open, you can go pick the perfect one. And there's a lot of good photo opportunities. So take the kids, set them up in there and get a good photo of them. Fall vegetables, all of them ready to go. At One's Southern Gardens out there in Kingwood, Texas. Good seat selection too. You know, we can plan a lot of vegetables by seed, Spinach excellent by seed, let us excellent by seed, and then things like radishes and turnips and everything else. They've got it. Now here's the important thing. You need to listen to this. If you spend one hundred dollars or more and say that I sent you Skip from Garden Line sent me, receive twenty bucks off your purchase. That is a significant discount off your purchase. But you got to tell them that I sent you. Now that doesn't include sale items or clearance items or things like that. And it's only good until October thirteenth, which is guess what coming around the corner next weekend, next Sunday. Only good this weekend, and next tell them SKIP sent you. Spend one hundred dollars or more and get twenty bucks off the purchase. Don't forget join the newsletter. You can do it on the website. You can call them at the store and say put me on the newsletter list, or you can just go in and tell them put me on the newsletter list. They've got an outstanding newsletter there at Warren Southern Gardens in Kingwood, Texas. I love going out there. It's always beautiful, and the folks there they know what they're talking about. You know, it's important to have people that can guide you and point you to the right plants and give you advice on how to take care of it and how to deal with problems. You know, Michael's out there and the whole team. Really, they just are a wealth of information. Does really really well. I've told you about Landscaper's Pride products before, and Landscaper's Pride has many high quality products that will help you have success. Remember it all begins in the soil, brown stuff before green stuff. So do you need a quality planting mix like their compost ped or their regular. They have one called Planting Mix. It's got locally sourced pine bark, sandy loam, and organics all mixed together. Pretty much grow any kind of plants you want in that they've got that high quality black velvet mulch. It's not dyed, it's naturally dark in color, just beautiful, absolutely beautiful, velvety, dark, rich texture. It looks good. Every month out of the year is mulching time. In summer it's hot, you gotta hold in moisture. You gotta prevent soil crusting and erosion and overheating of the soil. In winter time, you got to prevent the winter weeds and tender perennials will benefit from a mulch because it kind of holds in some of that soil warmth around the base of the plant. Black velvet mulch will do that. You can go to Landscaperspride dot com. You can follow them on social media too for more information. But on the website you can find all the places that you can get landscapers Pride products and they are widely available here in the Greater Houston area. As they say, Landscaper's Pride, Let's grow together, and that's exactly why they put their local products together and make them available to hear here to you here locally in the Greater Houston area. You are listening to Garden Line. Our phone number is seven one three two one two five eight seven four seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four. I'm gonna take a break and I'll be right back there.
Speaker 1: Ain't nobody here about, ain't nobody here at all so far?
Speaker 6: All right, ladies, choice, everybody day a little asleep at the wheel, Western swinging going there. Welcome back to guard Line. Good to have you with us. Hey, if you're looking to do any planting of shrubs, trees, and woody vines this fall, that includes roses, I hope that you will swing by RCW Nursery because they've got you covered. RCW they number one. They're rose selections like none other. It's amazing the number of plants that the varieties stuff that they can get in and have. But when it comes to trees, they grow their own up in Plantersville. And whether you need something, you know, just a smaller tree that you can plant yourself, or something huge that you got to have somebody come in and plant, Like how about a two hundred gallon lace bark elm or a two hundred gallon burroke And I'll save you some time. You can just bout hang a hammock in one of those well. RCW is having a sale fifteen percent off fifteen percent off for the month of October, and the best month to get things planted is October, November, even December is good, but get those things and get them in because the best time to plant a tree was forty years ago. Second best time is today. Do you need citrus, rcw's got you covered. They have a great selection of citrus. Do you want decorations for Halloween or just fall in general, they've got you covered. RCW Nurseries is on the corner of where Highway two forty nine Timball Parkway comes into belt Way eight, so it's really easy to get to. You can go to the website RCW Nurseries dot com or give them a call two eight one four to four zero fifty one sixty one two eight one four four zero five to one six one. We are now going to go and talk to Charlie. Hello Charlie, and welcome to Garden Mine.
Speaker 3: Hey, good morning, Thank you for taking my call. I've got an issue with Chinese box woods. Some of them are established and been here for a long time, but just one or two of them are dying and my neighbor planning something about three years ago, and he's got to have half of his or dead and half of them are alive. And that's a really puzzling.
Speaker 28: Issue.
Speaker 3: What was what the the bay box woods? You know, thought maybe you might be able to give you a little information. I said, why this is happening?
Speaker 16: Okay?
Speaker 6: Are they dying kind of like one shoot at a time, not to hold the whole bush or just the whole bush dies? Okay? Are they dying pretty suddenly or is it a gradual decline?
Speaker 15: Well?
Speaker 6: It is it sudden.
Speaker 22: It's pretty sudden.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And I took pictures of them.
Speaker 3: Okay, And they say, I don't know if that would help, you know, to determine, to let you look at them and see what the well.
Speaker 6: Here, it could be different things. You know, nemotodes will get on box woods. That's typically a very slow decline, not a not a fairly quick death.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 6: There is a fungal disease or two that gets in the roots that can kill them. And when you kill the roots, the top turns brown really quick. And so that is a possibility if you will take one that is not dead but dying, it needs to be alive, but it needs to be like, obviously I'm not. This one's going to be gone. You know, you've seen it die. You've watched them die. You know it looks like, so, this one's dying, but it's not dead. Take your pocket knife, a good sharp knife, and slice vertically down the stem near the base. Down that what will be the trunk or the main branches down low, and look underneath the bark. It should be kind of a creamy colored, creamy white, or maybe a little bit of green in there. That's normal. But if what you see looks more like an old cigarette filter, it's got those brown and gray tar stains and stuff. Yes, that's a fungal disease symptom, and there's not an easy cure for that. You're going to need to go with something that doesn't get those diseases. But that is a possibility. Now, it could be that different things are causing different plants that yours or your neighbors to die. It's probably not one cause that's doing it all, but those are possibilities. There are cankers that can hit the top of the plant kill branches of them, but there you typically see a branch dye the rest of it's alive. Then another branch dies and so on, and that doesn't fit your description very.
Speaker 16: Well, Well, yeah, there's.
Speaker 3: Here at the hell there's well as everage they're ten at fifteen, twenty years old, and just one one right on the end they just completely just i mean is gone. And my neighbors over there they've got some I'm about three years old and it maybe every every other.
Speaker 16: One is just did.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well you know the only the only, yeah, Charlie, the only way to know for sure would be to take a plant that is sick and dig it up, shake the soil off, get as much of the roots as you can, shake the soil off, and send it to the plant clinic, State plant clinic up in College Station.
Speaker 21: Now.
Speaker 6: You can mail it there, or you can just drive it up, and maybe may be easier to drive it up, but either way they charge a fee. But they bring it in. They culture the disease out in a petri dish and they look at it under a microscope and they'll tell you exactly what kill that plant, and once you know that, then they can also recommend what you should do about it. But otherwise I'm kind of giving you a shotgun blast of possibilities. So if you've got a whole bunch of plants, it's worth definitely worth having an analysis done because at least then you know where to go from there, because you're going to spend a lot of money replacing plants.
Speaker 22: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And this guy across the street, he's a whare he dog them open and replanted and during the state they did. You know, you're young, young.
Speaker 6: Girl that he needs. He needs to do the same thing. That's what I would do.
Speaker 16: Uh.
Speaker 6: You know, if you're having that kind of trouble, there's something wrong, and I would try my little slice through the bark thing. See if you see that. If not, the State Plank clinic is the is the best way to go. That way, you you find out and you you stop the continual loss. Okay, sir, okay, appreciate you taking my call.
Speaker 22: Have a good one. Bye bye.
Speaker 6: Yes, sir, you too, Thank you very much. I appreciate your call.
Speaker 22: Uh.
Speaker 6: Ace Hardware Stores. I like Ace Hardware Store because they have everything you need. Do you want to have a beautiful lawn? You don't have a bountiful landscape. Ace has got you covered. Do you want to have beautiful outdoor areas. ACE has got you covered. How about barbecuing. I was in an ACE the other day. I was down in Wharton, Texas in Ace Hardware down there just opened up and oh my gosh, the traggers and the big green egg, you know, the weber grills. It's just I love barbecuing in the fall because finally we're getting a little break in the late day from that heat. Oh it's good. Ace Hardware has your fire ant control products. And listen. Fall is for tackling fire ants. Easy to remember. Falls, football season, falls, fire ant tackling season two. You just get you a good quality bait from Ace Hardware. Put it out now, do it now, minimum application of pesticide. There's even organic baits, by the way. Put them out at a low rate over a large area and shut those things down. It's important to do that. Falls in important season, don't let them go into winter strong. Let's go to Jersey Village and we're going to talk to w C.
Speaker 16: Hey, w C.
Speaker 6: Welcome to guard Line.
Speaker 11: Good morning, Thank you. A couple of quick questions.
Speaker 19: Yes, sir, look in my yard.
Speaker 11: I've got a bunch of chamber better Virginia butt weed and then some other type of weed. I can't find a name for it, but it's a really woody type stam. It's really short. It grows in crops. So I'm looking for if if you've got a weed and see a fall weed and sea that you would recommend.
Speaker 6: Well for the things you're saying, a fall weed and feed won't work. You have to do it in the spring, and I would use just the weed control product, the pre emergent weed control product in the spring. Now those plants can be sprayed with a post emergent broad leaf weed control. If you use something called celsius, like the temperature celsius. Now it comes in little kay I've used.
Speaker 11: I've used Bonair Ultra before and it seems to work.
Speaker 6: Okay, Well, if that's working for you, you can use that. You just with the boneyed weed beater Ultra. You want to not use it when the temperatures are, you know, above the mid eighties, so maybe cool off a little bit and then use it. But the Celsius is a little bit more forgiving. Either way. You can go either way. It's fine, just go after himnother one that you're saying is the third one. You described. I think he says a little bit woody or something. It was done lower growing.
Speaker 11: That could be a inch and a half long. Sorry, I'll be quiet.
Speaker 6: That's okay. Why don't we do this. I'm going to put you on hold and would you send me a picture of it by email? My producer, Will Trey, will give you. He'll give you the email to send it. To get up close if you have to pull it up and set it on the table so I can really see the weed up close and good focus, then I can reply with the best approach. I'm not sure the products we're talking about are going to be effective against that weed, but I need to identify it first, okay, okay.
Speaker 11: So best not to use a weed and feed. I've tried barricade in the spring before and the late fall doesn't seem to work for me.
Speaker 6: Yep ye, Well, it works on broad leaf weeds and grassy weeds that are coming from seed. So if you put barricade out now, that's going to take care of clover, hindbit, chick weed, carpet weed, all those cool season weeds. It's going to do a pretty good job on those. Now, depending on the weed, you know, it's like any medicine. It's not for everything under the sun. Not you know, it's not going to control every possible weed that could germinate, so sometimes we have to switch over to something else for a specific problem. But as far as a good broad wide spectrum of control, barricade should be pretty good for that, but not against existing weeds.
Speaker 19: Okay, Okay, it's going to put.
Speaker 6: You on hold and Trey will pick up and give you an email, send me a picture. We'll take it from here. Appreciate that call very much. Absolutely. I've talked about azemite before.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 6: Azimite is the trace mineral supplement, and people get confused a lot. They go, well, if I do azmite, do I have to fertilize? Okay, well, technically any nutrient is fertilizing, but when we say fertilizing, we're usually talking about the big three numbers on the bag, you know, the the nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium. We need lots of that for the lawn. Azmite is trace minerals. We just need a little bit, but they're essential minerals, so if you don't have them, you can't grow plants. For example. Do you know that if you could take every molecule of manganese out of the soil, no plant could grow. If you took every molecule of iron eye of the soil, no plant could grow, or zinc or others. Azmite provides trace minerals that are essential for plants. I recommend it about once a year. Put it out. You can go to azmite Texas dot com for more information. Just to remember, it's particle size different than your fertilizers, so don't mix it in the same hopper. Put out the fertilizer, and if you want to do azemite at that time of the year, put out the azmite. You can do azebait at any time of the year. It's not like nitrogen fertilizers where we're doing the mainly during the growing season. Uh asm at any time of the year, but do it once a year asimite Texas dot com. That'll get you off to a good start. Where are we now? I always have to watch my time, and the time says I got to quit talking and turn it over to the news. I'll be right back, folks. Just hang on. I could just keep listening to that.
Speaker 11: I love.
Speaker 16: Let me use it.
Speaker 6: Welcome to the Bate Garden Life. We're glad to have you with us today. I'm your host, Skip Richter, and we've got a little bit of time. I got a half hour left in the day show. Guess what I'm gonna do after the show's over, I'm gonna head over to Buchanan's Native Plants. I'll be there by the way from twelve to two today for their Fall Fest. And this is a big cool deal going on. I mean, if you have kids, you gotta bring them. If you don't go knock on the door of your neighbors, can I bring your kids? Pumpkin ring toss, beanbag toss, scavenger hunt, coloring stations, Halloween mask craft, pumpkin painting, hay Ride, moon Balance, and their stuff for adults two food, wine, coffee, beer, and more. And a local band called Yopon. Of course it's called Yopon. What a better name for a band from Southeast Texas than Yopan. And I'll be there answering your gardening questions. I'm gonna give away a bag of Microlife brown Patch. I'm gonna giveway one hundred dollars gift certificate, but you gotta be present and register in order to win. Bring me samples of plants, bring me things to identify, things to diagnose, Bring me pictures. Here's my landscape, this area over here, What would look good? What might I plant there? What a rose grow there? We'll talk about all that stuff. Mainly we'll just shake hands, look eye to eye, and this is your one on one gens to ask me questions. I've kind of had to go fast today telling people I get to keep asking answering questions. Well, I can now when you show up at Buchana's Native Plants today, I'll be there from twelve to two. Hope you can make it. Nature's Way Resources out in Well. It's on Interstate forty five. It's on the way to Conro. So if you go up forty five right where fourteen eighty eight comes in from Magnolia, you turn right, cross over the railroad tracks and you're right there Sherbrooke Circle, which is Nature's Way Resources. Next Saturday, I'll be there doing Q and A at Nature's Way and they're having their shindig, the Fall Festival, Latin food, local vendors, plant sales again, live music, children's activities. It's just going to be fun. We have a good time at these events, folks. And I want to remind you that at Nature's Way, their Fungal Friday sale is still on twenty percent off their fungal compost. So you want to do some do it yourself compost, top dressing, air raiding, whatever, go there. Get the Fungal Friday deal on fungo compost twenty percent office signal magnificant discount. You can buy bulk, you can buy bags, you can buy mulches, you can buy pretty much a mix for anything. Do you undergrow zilias, do you undergrow vegetables? What do you want? Nature's Way has been designing top quality soil blends for a very long time and they invented some of the ones that are popular in the industry now. It all was born in there a Nature's Way. So go by there. You can call them for delivery, you can pick up bags, you can pick up bulk. But you just got to get by and a good time to go. Buy me next Saturday, because I'll be there uh Fungal Friday, twenty percent of fungal composts, and I'll be there on Saturday for their fall festival. Hope you can make it I'm going to go now to Cleveland and we're going to talk to David. Hey, David, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 19: Hey, thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 24: I have a question about us overwintering Halpaania pepper plants that are in a container.
Speaker 19: I've seen stuff like that on YouTube.
Speaker 21: I didn't know if it would really work.
Speaker 19: Or not, of wanting to get your opinion on that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you absolutely can. So what you're gonna do is, whenever we're going to have weather, oh let's say the mid thirties or something, go ahead and bring them inside. Put them in a garage, put them wherever you got them. How big are these pots.
Speaker 28: Are?
Speaker 19: They are a five gallon buckets?
Speaker 6: Five gallon? Okay, well, you know I just use a handtruck a dolly. You know, you can slide it under the lip, strap them to the dolly, a little strap around the pot, and it makes it effortless. I mean, if you want to bend over and pick them up, five gallons, not too bad. But if you either way, just get them into a protected garage area when it's going to be cold. They're not going to be happy and they're not gonna do much, but they'll stay alive. That way, you need to make sure the soil stays moist but not soggy. You don't have to water much in the cool season because the demands are very low. But you just need to watch it because if he gets droughty, that's that's going to hurt him. But I have carried peppers over. I've carried them over in ground, but there you're having to go to pretty great links to cover them up and protect the base, and they may die back a little bit and then come back. But in the containers you've got the advantage of being able to just move into a protected spot. Now, if you want to go to great links and put an indoor light up for plants in a garage or someplace where they can just stay there and get good quality light down close to the plant, you can do that, but it's got to be very bright and very close to the plant.
Speaker 24: Yes, I happen to be an electrician, and I have some hot bake commercial lights that I could put over them that are very very bright LEDs.
Speaker 19: And Okay, but do I need to pune them back?
Speaker 15: Do I need to pun them back in?
Speaker 6: And you don't need to. I would just leave them and let them be unless the growth of them is getting in the way of moving them around. If you need to, if you need to pune them to move them easier, that's fine. But pruning stimulates new growth, and we don't want them to try to grow right now. We want them to settle in and just be on hold until we get to spring. Just make sure those led lights have got a good blend of red and blue spectrum inum for the plants to do their best.
Speaker 15: Alrighty, do I need to do any kind of fooding with them whenever I let them in, or or just.
Speaker 2: Let them wait until next year?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I just let them wait because we're not trying to push growth on them. They've got enough nutrients to just go on hold. If you start to see a little bit of yellowing, it may be due to overwatering, or it may maybe they need just a little bit of a complete fertilizer, something's got a little bit of iron in it. Maybe sometimes we'll get that in cold weather because the soil is cold and the root uptake isn't as good in those raised containers. You know, the roots get colder and a container than they do in the ground. So sometimes that's a little bit of a factor and nutrient uptake.
Speaker 16: Okay, got you.
Speaker 19: I appreciate it, all right, sir.
Speaker 6: Good luck. Now you know, on Garden Line we don't charge for advice, but we do ask you to bring half the produce and drop it off at the studio and we'll call it even, all right. I love helipinia. Take care, David, you take care. Appreciate you being a good sport about all that. Oh boy, well, Enchanted Forest is down there in Richmond. Enchanted Forest is an enchanting place. I love going there. You know, every time you go to Enchanted Forest you've entered a new wonderland. And it is a destination nursery. It is beautiful, beautiful place. They've always got stuff. Right now, They've got camellias in that are full of buds, their herbs, their veggies, their fall color is absolutely outstanding. You really need to check it out. See what I'm talking about. And Chanted Forest is a kind of place. When you go there, you're gonna find every plant for the season. And right now, oh my gosh, if you've never seen Talavera pumpkins, you've got to see their decorative stuff. Talavera pumpkins and those Thanksgiving cactus and Christmas cactus. They are loaded up and they're loaded with blooms ready to go. Hey, that'd be a good gift. You're gonna go to somebody's house, why not take them A Christmas cactus is a gift. I know they'd appreciate it. Everything you need, from vegetables to flowers, to herbs, to butterfly plants, to container plants to cool season fall color. Enchanted Forest. They're on FM twenty seven to fifty nine in Richmond, Texas. Enchanted Forest twenty seven fifty nine in Richmond, Texas. Here's the website. It's a good one. You need to go check it out. Enchanted Forest, Richmond TX dot com, enchended Forest, Richmond TX dot com.
Speaker 12: He got.
Speaker 6: All right, welcome back. You're back to Garden Line and we are here to answer your gardening questions. All you gotta do is give us call seven one three two one two five eight seven four seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four.
Speaker 22: Uh.
Speaker 6: I have mentioned some products from Heirloom Soils a couple times today, but I just wanted to tell you about the products as a group. You know, Heirloom Soils has been blending top quality soil for a long time. They are where you would get a veggie nerd mix, a rose soil. There where you get the works potting soil. I was discussing that with the Lady earlier today. Do you need a leithmal compost? Do you want a compost mixed with expanded shale? Very important for heavy clay soils that expanded shell sticks around long past when the compost does and helps keep the soil open. Do you need a fruit berry and citrus mix, a lenscape bed mix. They've got it all. They have it all there now. You can go to the website Heirloomsoils dot com, airloomsols dot com and find out about their products and where to get them. Very widely available, easy to get. They work really really well. I have used a number of their blands. I've used their their cactus mix for example, cactus and succulent. It's very gritty. It helps drainage for those things that don't want to have wet feet, like cactus and succulents. It has performed well for me. I've used the rose soil, the veggiean nerd mix for example, and I just find that in every situation that I've tried a man, they've they've been superior soils that work very well. So airlom sALS of Texas you can get it bulk. You can call the porter location and have them deliver a bulk mix to you. Just go to Airloomsoils dot Com. By the way. There you're going to find a calculator. They'll tell you exactly how much soil you need. Have you ever been like, okay, I want to make a bed about this big? How much so do I need for that? Or how many wheelbarrows or five gallon buckets through in a QB car to soil? The calculator can tell you all of that stuff. So they'll help you have success. But remember success begins in the soil, brown stuff before green stuff. Go to airlom Soils, get a quality blend to improve your soil, and then when you put your cool plants in it, they are going to thrive and perform and make you look good. Airlom Soals makes you look good. Let's go out to League City, Texas and we're going to talk to Kelly. Hello, Kelly, Welcome to garden.
Speaker 21: Line, Sir.
Speaker 18: We are building an RB resort up on Late Livingston. And during the grading process and the cutting and get the elevations right, we lost a majority of our trees that were out there. We were able to save quite a few, but we're wanting to put plant trees between all of the sites that don't have them.
Speaker 21: And we're looking at probably one hundred and seventy.
Speaker 18: Five you know plantings, and so I'm looking for something that will grow pretty quick, something where and where to buy them?
Speaker 22: You know what?
Speaker 18: What you know, we're looking at a fifteen gallon tub of these things. Uh, you know, just just looking for something that's gonna work good at the sandy loan type soil up there. And you know it's on the north shore of Lake Livingston.
Speaker 6: So I don't know the producers up in that area. Well, I know here RCW Nursery has their tree farm, whim some tree farm which is in Cleannersville, and that is that is north but it's the west of forty five. You may want to call them and say, look, this is what we're looking at. What you got kind of prices. They're a wholesale a grower up there, But I would call RCW. That would be the easiest way. I don't have that in the top of my head. I don't have Williamson Tree Farm phone number. But they can put you in touch with them. They can do that.
Speaker 11: Now.
Speaker 6: That's if you want to buy container trees that have some size and they look good, and if you're just doing what we called oh gosh, I can't even say the word conservation planting.
Speaker 21: You know.
Speaker 6: That's where people go out like they're reforesting a hillside and they just have little seedlings are popping in the ground. That's a whole different thing. It's less expensive, but your trees are tiny and a lot of them won't make it, you know, so it's up to you either way.
Speaker 18: Okay, all right, well then I will reach out to those groups you said that.
Speaker 21: Was r c W.
Speaker 6: Yes, RCW. If you do Williamson Tree Farm, Williamson Tree Farm in Plantersville, I can't. I can't walk in you gum at the same time, so I can't go looking while I'm talking to you. But Williamson Tree Farm in Plantersville is a wholesale grower. They're there by the Renaissance Festival out there.
Speaker 2: Okay, perfect, perfect, okay, all right, thanks time, Thank you all.
Speaker 6: Right, good luck with that great project you got going up there. We're going to go now to Jeremy in Seabrook, Texas. Hey, Jeremy, welcome to guard Line.
Speaker 2: How's the going Skip.
Speaker 6: Doing well? Thank you?
Speaker 2: I got a question, how can I hail? I bought just a nursery stock juniper.
Speaker 28: It's a green mound, and I let it sit in the yard for a couple of months and then I'm using them to cut to make in the bonds, all right, So I left it in. I left it in the five gallons, okay, for about four months. I did some minor trimming on it, just to kind of get some shape to it. And about two months ago I took it out and put it in a little bit smaller pot and majority of the roots in it. But now it's starting to it looks like it's turning yellow and starting to dry up. Is there any save in that tree?
Speaker 6: Okay? There might be, depending on how much damage has been done. If you can get it out of just the full brun of the sun, maybe give it a little western late day shade, keep the soltw moist. Junipers do not like wet feet, but they got to have moisture, and so the roots that are left that weren't lost, making sure they have adequate moisture, and then taking the brunt of the hottest part of the day, let's say definitely two o'clock to four or five o'clock, that's the worst part of the day, taking that away from them, give them a little chance. If it's not too far gone, it ought to come back.
Speaker 2: You should have come back in the spring, or should I see some immediate bounce back.
Speaker 6: You should see some respond we're still having warm temperatures. You see some response pretty soon. But you know, the first thing is it gets its feet under it and essentially just decides, okay, I'm going to stay alive the second it gets enough energy to actually grow. So as long as it's not continuing to decline, that's a good sign.
Speaker 28: Yeah, okay, is there anything I can feed it outside of just normal regular fertilizer?
Speaker 6: Not until it begins to grow in the spring, I would say, yeah, just regular. I would go very easy. I may even get like an organic solution kind of thing, fish emulsion, seaweed, one of the Medina products would be really good, or microlife. Microlife has some products pardon.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm using as a Microlife seaweed.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Microlife seaweed and Microlife fish emulsion. If they're indoors, the fish emulsion can smell a little bit, the seaweed not so much. Microlife has some other good products like that. I used their orange label. That is excellent product for a liquid. You're not going to burn things with the micro Life. That's why I just want to be real careful because a little salt based fertilizer too concentrated in there can also do it's damage. So we'll stay away from those for now.
Speaker 2: Oat all right, Jeremy, I appreciate it.
Speaker 6: All right, Hey, you bet, thanks for the call.
Speaker 16: Good luck with that.
Speaker 6: Sounds like a fun project. You're going to go now to Beaumont and talk to Linda.
Speaker 11: Hey Linda, Hi, how are you.
Speaker 16: I'm good.
Speaker 6: I'm good. What's up in Beaumont? Yes, I'm.
Speaker 13: But okay, I have a couple of kret those that are growing now they're I mean they start out a little now they're big and they're kind of touching my roof from the top. So I did talk to somebody about trimming those back, you know, off of my roof. Okay, and then I also have a huge live oak tree that has been at my house for the thirty years that we've owned the property, and Beryl took half of that down. But I've had a couple of tree people out okay that.
Speaker 6: The music is already playing. The music's already playing, So I got about two seconds to help you here the great myrtle pruning. One thing to consider would be moving them and planning a smaller one there. That just falls the time to do that. But that's just a quick tip there. As far as the oak, send me some pictures of that. I think you have some other questions. Would you send me pictures of those, and I'll handle those via email so that we can do a better job. Just show me the problems, show me from a distance, show me up close, good sharp photos, and I'll be happy to help you with them. Sorry, we just ran for that today, but I do appreciate your call. Folks, Come see me at Buchanan's Native Plants twelve to two. I'm on my way, are you