Speaker 1: The National Broadcasting Company presents Radio City Playhouse Attraction four Tonight from the death and versus o pen of mister Ernest Cannoy, a writer for whom our admiration grows with every passing week, we present Whistle, Daughter Whistle. Both mister Canoy and our fine director friend, mister Duncan have been giggling through most of the afternoon's rehearsal. It is there sincere hope in hours two that you will giggle for the rest of the evening. In any case, garbed in calico and armed with the broom, Radio City Playhouse presents Attraction four Whistle, Daughter Whistle. Every Sunday morning, The New York Times brings you four or five pages of sweet, smiling pictures with little stories underneath. Ethel Glasgow when or Sue Potter plans or Miss Day Lab's betrothed, and sometimes just Jones Hyphen Smith or usually the pretty bride's end up wrapped around salami Sandwaltuzer spread out on the kitchen floor as the weekly wash drips water down their newsprint decal tes. But in Peggy Mark's house, the Sunday Society pages last well into the week. Peggy's mother saves them carefully. Every night she spreads them out on the dining room table after supper. Missus Marx loves wedding.
Speaker 2: Did you see this one? Peggy, Peggy, I'm talking to you, so did you read this one? South him mister and missus Alice tired m of New York's Southampton, Miami and NaNs Din J.
Speaker 3: Of the Spence School and Mount Holyoke?
Speaker 4: Isn't that interesting?
Speaker 5: Fascinating? Did you say what you got in Freshman English?
Speaker 3: I don't see it? And maybefite the never mind?
Speaker 5: It says he she likes hotile best, Ma, you got detective a brewery truck?
Speaker 3: Hm? Did you even know this? Always the Ridge girls get the Ridge boys. It's fun to scream. What's the matter with you tonight? Peggy? You don't feel well?
Speaker 5: Why don't you lay off?
Speaker 2: What's the medal of that sudden? I'm just reading the newspaper.
Speaker 5: That's always the wedding announcement. Do you ever read movie reviews to me? Or maybe the sports section?
Speaker 2: Hack of incident? Yeah, yeah, there, you look so happy in the pictures.
Speaker 4: Why don't you quit knedling?
Speaker 3: Needling?
Speaker 4: Who's needling?
Speaker 3: Her mother has a right to worry the clock. Don't thrown back home?
Speaker 5: All right? All right, so I'm practically brittle with age. I look like lost horizon. My I'm only twenty six. What's there's a rush? There are a couple of guys I like, and a couple of.
Speaker 4: Them like me. I'll get around to it.
Speaker 3: It should only be soon. Oh there you go again, ma.
Speaker 5: I put in a hard day down to the office from nine to five. I look into wide open mouths while the doctor fills the teeth. Give me your rest when I get home with you.
Speaker 3: See, that's what I mean. If you had a nice husband, you wouldn't have to wait so much.
Speaker 4: I should have known.
Speaker 3: I can't with you. Know.
Speaker 2: They say a dentist makes up pretty good living. Hold it stop right there. Doctor Prentiss is forty five. He's got a wife, three children, and flat feet. And on top of that, I don't think he likes me particularly.
Speaker 3: I didn't mean that dentist. And then the other dentist. What are the dance?
Speaker 2: The boy up says he's just getting out of school this month. I met his mother over the washing machine in the basement. She has Creuton kitens.
Speaker 5: Sort of crumby.
Speaker 2: Huh, what it's Creton, my Creton A crew Ton is bread Glutan Cretan. It covers the windows?
Speaker 3: Where was I? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yes, the other dentist. He's a nice boy. I met them in the elevator. Is that the curly headed one that gets on the fifth floor?
Speaker 1: Hi?
Speaker 3: B you know this?
Speaker 4: Ma cut it out.
Speaker 5: I can smell a plot of mile away.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't say I would.
Speaker 5: Okay, then that's settles.
Speaker 3: Okay, I give up. What do you mean?
Speaker 5: Come on, get your coat. We'll go to a movie.
Speaker 4: Then, Hansoda.
Speaker 5: It's a murder picture with Humphrey Bogart by Lowie. There's a corpse every two minutes.
Speaker 6: That ought to get your mind off orange blossom.
Speaker 3: Hello missus Marx washing again?
Speaker 4: Hello missus Kellith.
Speaker 3: Hi did you tend to having a washing machine in the batement?
Speaker 4: You remember the all day?
Speaker 3: Do? I don't talk? Who got a bad cake? It's done. I'll be out in a minute, don't hi, missus mark rest yourself a while. That's what my boy always says. My rest yourself. Your son is in college.
Speaker 4: He can I do RESI dental school next month.
Speaker 3: No, isn't that nice?
Speaker 2: It's so nice to have a duct from the family. I was telling my daughter Peggy, it's it's nice to have adducts from the family.
Speaker 3: A dentist the same thing. You know, it's a real coincidence.
Speaker 2: You gotta dentist. No Peggy wakes for one. Do you know doctor prentis downtown.
Speaker 3: But he's married.
Speaker 2: What I mean, she isn't happy waking where she is? Oh, my Peggy likes her position be a dentist. You know, missus Marx, My boy Ellen gets out of school next month. And I know what, missus kells, I still I haven't sexy. Wouldn't it be interesting if yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Well he's going to start like the thing right esther.
Speaker 4: And don't need annoye in his office.
Speaker 3: Oh now, I see what you mean. It would be real convenient. It sutenly would maybe more.
Speaker 2: Why not, missus Marx, why not? Your take is a fine sensible girl, She certainly is, missus kellop. I shouldn't say it's about fine one, but that she was a perfect strange. I couldn't say no different to and independent too, honestly, the way some modys would strangle a girl tap stream Husha.
Speaker 3: I always say live, so you should let somebody else live. Too.
Speaker 2: Ah, that's so true, missus Great, missus Mark, I just thought of something.
Speaker 4: Mike All said something.
Speaker 3: About as dance by graduations, So you.
Speaker 2: Know it's reasons that he has always got a lot of girls chasing after him. A dentist's quite paquette, of course, naturally, I'm sure you just love to take your tag. Well, you know, missus kellot my pegg is a very popular girl. She could have a three four professional men just like that, naturally, missus Marks, of course, but maybe she would just happen to have a free evening.
Speaker 6: Hm.
Speaker 3: It wouldn't be so easy.
Speaker 2: Missus kell It's like I said, my tegg is awful independent.
Speaker 3: I'm not telling you no secrets, missus Marks.
Speaker 2: My yelling is like I'm you ben. Is the graduation dance next month?
Speaker 3: A month? Well? That gives us.
Speaker 2: Plentid time, don't it, missus Kellers, it sightly does, miss his Mark.
Speaker 3: She still you've wander dress should fit or no fit? My?
Speaker 4: You're sewing me and so tight.
Speaker 5: I'll have to do it slideway.
Speaker 2: I want you should look your best. After all, you don't go to graduation dance every night?
Speaker 5: I can help it.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't go at Allggy, I just.
Speaker 6: Want you to know that you're not getting away with anything.
Speaker 3: Well do you talk about livedwm tired?
Speaker 5: I knew what you were doing. You've been learning a trap for me for a month. You should shage you all of a sudden, Peggy, Why don't you get a new dress?
Speaker 3: Then?
Speaker 5: Still, Peggy, why don't you get your hair done?
Speaker 3: Don't you want to look nice?
Speaker 6: Sure?
Speaker 5: You got me like a fly and a spider web.
Speaker 4: Like a rat in a trap.
Speaker 3: You could I said no, you.
Speaker 4: Told him on the phone. I was dying to go.
Speaker 3: That's what you say? Are you no?
Speaker 4: Darn well that I said I'd die before?
Speaker 3: I was the same thing. Besides, you were in the shower and I couldn't.
Speaker 4: Keep you all right?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 5: You got me strapped into this banano pear you call it dress, and you got me roped into this collegiate brawl head.
Speaker 4: But I'm not gonna like it, all right, don't.
Speaker 3: Like it breathing.
Speaker 5: If you hit that up the back, I'll never breathe out.
Speaker 3: Don't be silly.
Speaker 5: There you'll look so like and midnight I'll turn into a second molar. Well, where's young doctor killed?
Speaker 3: There? You'll be here yank shit.
Speaker 5: Might as well get it over with now, like an extraction.
Speaker 7: What did you say?
Speaker 2: The young hopeful's name is Ellen Kellys, doctor Ellen kelt.
Speaker 3: Right on.
Speaker 7: Cue, Nah, you look like a cat.
Speaker 5: It's been eating canary puck.
Speaker 3: Go on, there he is. Don't keep them waiting.
Speaker 5: I've gotta put my face on. Hanness, come so dance with Heaven's get to the American.
Speaker 3: Bye custard.
Speaker 2: But that's all understand, that's all go already, all right, all right, come in, come in, mark cag come in, come in, sit down a while.
Speaker 3: She's inside with the face. I'm a gentleman.
Speaker 4: Between you and me.
Speaker 5: I rented it.
Speaker 3: It hits like a glove. Yeah, too bad, it's sooner, Sidan, you're swashing your tail.
Speaker 2: Oh thanks, So I have a peace fruit, maybe a tangerine.
Speaker 7: Oh thanks, I just had supper.
Speaker 3: I know red cabbage. You could smell it all over the house. Mam makes it sweet and sour the best day. She uses vinegar for sour.
Speaker 2: Lemon, Oh well, lemon is good to my Mama used to say, Oh Peggy, this is Zaca kel Sosa Kelly.
Speaker 3: This is my paggage. Now go go ahead on a real good time.
Speaker 5: Well, I said, well, well what I don't know?
Speaker 4: Just well, Peggy, you want to dance?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 1: Sure, sure?
Speaker 5: Uh wrong, you're standing on my dance.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, don't mention it, I said.
Speaker 1: I was sorry.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, that's dad suits me. Oh, I'm sorry. Hey, it's crowded here.
Speaker 4: Maybe maybe we should have come earlier.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Looks like a long evening the way it.
Speaker 4: Is, maggy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Ma, how was it? I'll tell you tomorrow, man, tomorrow. Oh my, I didn't close my eyes come in.
Speaker 4: Look, I'm tired. Can I justice? I didn't slip a wink, not a pushing.
Speaker 3: It all right? Man? Win on the light?
Speaker 7: Why did I get my tot of? Yeah?
Speaker 3: What is it? Matchy? Down under bed?
Speaker 5: Oh my sweet you?
Speaker 3: Then I didn't? Then five pieces? Why did you can hear with the drum?
Speaker 4: A sign upfair?
Speaker 3: Did you go to text her?
Speaker 5: Yep?
Speaker 6: Yah?
Speaker 5: Doctor call it flinched every time the meter jumped?
Speaker 3: How did you like him?
Speaker 6: In detail?
Speaker 3: Or a rough skit? Honestly, Peggy? Sometimes I get.
Speaker 5: So you can get aggravated.
Speaker 2: Peggy, it's put I bust. Just tell me I wouldn't task anymore. Well, if you have a good time.
Speaker 3: No, let me put it in.
Speaker 5: I don't care which way you put it.
Speaker 3: He's a nice boy.
Speaker 6: I warned you.
Speaker 5: Before I went, Ma, why can't you grow up? It's not your business to pick out a husband for me. This isn't the Middle Ages.
Speaker 3: My Mamma fixed it so I should meet your papa best. So you're better than me.
Speaker 5: Oh that isn't it, and you know it?
Speaker 3: What more would you want? That talent?
Speaker 2: Is a nice mom even good looking? So what's glasses and a doctor?
Speaker 3: They look distinctly.
Speaker 5: I'm not gonna sit up on my listen to this?
Speaker 3: Who's keeping you? Only such hop boy?
Speaker 5: You should get Look, Ma, my feet hurt, the zippers jammed on my dress. I gotta get up early tomorrow. And I'm sick and tired of your nagging all the time.
Speaker 4: Peggy get married? So quis what did I saw? Oh?
Speaker 2: No, I keep quiet all the time, like how clem I keep So never learn to my grave.
Speaker 3: I'll go with how to wait? No one should know my daughter talks like a knife in my house. Please, Ma, her dentist isn't good enough? You want a millionaire?
Speaker 5: Maybe I'll let you know in the morning.
Speaker 3: Do you know Peggy what No, she was sure maybe you didn't like him? Just how little bit? Ah? How long is this Matt you've been shotting?
Speaker 2: Oh hello, missus Kelly, I just wheel the wagon all the way to Broadways.
Speaker 4: You shot die yes, super.
Speaker 2: Market, since I got the grocery wagons.
Speaker 4: Such an invention.
Speaker 3: It's homost have pleasure to a big wall, Missus Mark more camels make I didn't even know what it said. Alice in the supermarket.
Speaker 5: I just can't keep my hand on the shelf.
Speaker 2: Gave me the same if it sells sign that I by like her moving toward that's a silence.
Speaker 3: You're waiting for somebody.
Speaker 2: I just depending. It's so nice my apartment. We get some ten minutes between five and five Friday. It's an apple day.
Speaker 3: We got a sullen explosion in the living room.
Speaker 4: You're lucky.
Speaker 2: Lock it haless, Missus Kelly. In the summits so hot she could fry an egg and the carpet. You can't have your cake misfors thing too. I always say you're right, you're right, like for example, Missus Winter, if I hies it isn't enough house dogs on a dollar, I have film in with her but that woman wouldn't even let them go by their movies alone. I saw always the moment could drive a couple of.
Speaker 3: Crazy Hutchings films. And it's some people. It shouldn't be you.
Speaker 2: And me, miss such a nice I'm not schoolish, Probably missus Matt, what is this, missus Kellys, they're like I suppose I shouldn't say, you're peggy. She had a good time, less night, a good time, oh, missus Kellett. See she she woke me up because she came in, and I thought she was crazy. She had such a good time. She was laughing and singing with her boy's father. Look, I shouldn't tell I could have crossed my heart. I wouldn't, Missus Mark, your own friends, you wouldn't tell me?
Speaker 3: Did I say? I wouldn't? So that was my said? You told me you shouldn't read that boy?
Speaker 2: My god, she said, I can't honestly, miss his March said she she never met boy like your Ellen before.
Speaker 3: She did, well, nothing so many boys. That's very interesting, missus Mark, very interesting. And you're Ellen.
Speaker 4: How did he like evidence?
Speaker 3: Bill? He told you my own tells me everything. Of course, of course, naturally, I boy.
Speaker 2: Like illness very careful. So many girls keep pointing themselves as are professional men. And I don't mean you're taking missus Mark, nothen missus Kelly.
Speaker 3: So there was about Helen.
Speaker 2: Oh hell, I wouldn't be surprised. Maybe it's a little soon, but I wouldn't be surprised. No, why not send me to mass?
Speaker 4: I got to go upstairs?
Speaker 3: Is the elevator fix clause out again?
Speaker 4: I had to walk downstairs?
Speaker 3: Honest. I never feel safe since they put in that automatic elevator. I get cold shit about every time the dog closes.
Speaker 4: It's like a coffin is.
Speaker 2: Pending on Mark my words, Missus Keller. Somebody, somebody, somebody's going to get cotton that elevator.
Speaker 3: It shouldn't suddenly be as Missus mass nice kind of woods.
Speaker 4: Hurry up, I'm dropping the egg.
Speaker 3: It's you five right, five and six?
Speaker 7: Nice out, it'll do.
Speaker 3: No dog, No.
Speaker 6: Hell, what do you do?
Speaker 5: You might push urgency buttons.
Speaker 3: The red one.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, Now we wait till mister Hector comes back, miss Pinochle game and gets this out.
Speaker 7: Hey, I can't stay in here. I'll be late for the clinics. Those unfilled in sizors will just have to wait. I can't figure you out.
Speaker 6: You have to here. You go all around Robinhood's barn trying to get me to take you to that dance, and then you keep needling me all the time.
Speaker 3: Wait a minute.
Speaker 6: I tried to get you to take me.
Speaker 7: My mother said that the very least thing I could do. I begin to snell a maternal rest. I don't get it.
Speaker 5: Your mother told you I wanted to date.
Speaker 7: He said I would be a blessing to take you. You should have heard my mother.
Speaker 3: He's such a shy boy, do a good.
Speaker 7: Deed for one me, shy like a violet.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 5: I don't know about you, but my mother will walk the earth like the ghost of Hamlet's father until.
Speaker 6: I get married.
Speaker 7: That doesn't matter.
Speaker 5: You're turning green every time I go out with a girl.
Speaker 7: My mother wants to know how family trade out.
Speaker 1: Of the roots.
Speaker 5: Oh my boy, I see you the hounds closing in that twenty years.
Speaker 3: So on the other night, after the dancing, I had other reasons.
Speaker 5: Yeah, pretty bumb at it too left feet.
Speaker 3: I seem worse.
Speaker 7: You know, I was kind of mad myself. Last time.
Speaker 5: My mother shang hide me into one of those things that girl out weighs me fifty pounds, the last one I.
Speaker 4: Had palmed off.
Speaker 5: I'd meet her out to be married, claimed his wife didn't understand it.
Speaker 3: Huh, what happened?
Speaker 7: I walked home from Premont Avenue. How long do you thingire? It will be stuck in?
Speaker 5: Depends on the mill, the mill score on mister Hector's peknockle game.
Speaker 7: I'm going to sell on the floor. You try to join me, thinking, okay, mat any good books lately?
Speaker 5: Never mind?
Speaker 7: Okay, okay, funny, isn't it. I mean, after all, that's naggling to get us together. We end up stuck in the elevator. My mother would call it real romantic.
Speaker 3: You know it is at that.
Speaker 5: My work to it?
Speaker 3: Not that. Go ahead, bite your note. It's ridiculous. It's ridiculous to wait for a dentist.
Speaker 4: Now you could wait for another. But I don't but but, but but nothing.
Speaker 2: Your doctor apprentices all the way down town. It's really, what's the same morning only four blocks away beside?
Speaker 3: He's such a nice boy.
Speaker 5: That's what I mean.
Speaker 3: Listen, I had enough. I'm up to here.
Speaker 2: You're sucking the elevator for two hours. Finally, he asked you to waken his new office.
Speaker 3: And what happened?
Speaker 4: I say, no?
Speaker 3: What did I do to deserve such ada?
Speaker 5: I don't see what you're complaining about.
Speaker 3: Please, Peggy, let's talk. Come go and get excited. Excited? Who's excited? Look? The boy asks, she's wake in his office?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: It's the same money and with tave an hour every day from the sub I suppose no. Nah? And you know why? Why? Why if I put one hundred years I couldn't find God?
Speaker 5: Isn't I could hangled me into that graduation dance with Alan? You and missus kallup. Now you're trying to haul me into that kid's office. I wouldn't be surprised if you pull the plugs on that oubit. It's a tracking why your son like a bulldog. Never mind, you don't pool me for a minute. I'll bet you get the silver pattern all picked down. Maybe just remember, when I'm good and ready to get married, I'll pick myself out somebody.
Speaker 6: Then I'll let you know.
Speaker 5: Honestly, Ma, you act like this was China or something.
Speaker 2: I forget I said anything. Go ahead, go downtown every morning on the subway in the rush hose. Go ahead, get yourself smashed in like a sudden come home with a black eyes in somebody's elbow.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't say another word.
Speaker 5: Okay, god, what never mind, Maa.
Speaker 3: Only remember I'm.
Speaker 5: Not going to work in Allen's office.
Speaker 4: You understand, never sure, sure and never okay?
Speaker 5: Now what's for dinner?
Speaker 3: I'm not of his cake with your team, Missus Kelly's. It's right in the bread bag.
Speaker 2: It's sayings, No, Missus Marx, I hate already too. Two you had four, but seven. I wouldn't there. I'd bought slight out of my bread I always see. Yeah, I use a second tablet and the tee so I can take all the cake I want.
Speaker 3: It's good. It's from O'Brien.
Speaker 2: I always used to bake mine own cake me too, but O'Brien's is good. My Ellen always asks my how come you don't bake no more?
Speaker 3: When you got a man in the house. There's a reason to pool.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: My mister would be happy if I had only path house and potatoes.
Speaker 4: N Yeah, Choden, once in a while.
Speaker 2: You got trouble every day. My Peggy changes her diet Monday. She did in carriage. She's to death well not Wednesday. Maybe a little could drive up poton crazy cooking on Seggy comes home plan for two weeks now since she's waiting for your Ellen.
Speaker 3: Ellen doesn't even take off plan. She's working so hard.
Speaker 2: Missus kelleth I got her Keel, say you can mind, Seggy, so tell me, She says, your Ellen makes her better offer place than anybody she ever saw. Really he's a good voice, he says, you're take You've wakes real hard.
Speaker 3: They look nice together. Done then, missus Keller, they certainly though, missus Mark. So missus Keller, so back next.
Speaker 4: Thank you such a rit I've never seen.
Speaker 3: Take it easy, Mark, you're ready? Did you peg the new shoes and the empty.
Speaker 5: Everything's all in?
Speaker 4: Stop fuzzing.
Speaker 3: Who's fussing? Let's see? Should be something borrowed and something with the.
Speaker 4: Blueing blue Ma blue blueing for the launder. So what's wrong?
Speaker 3: So wedding you shouldn't be cleaned?
Speaker 5: S it out a while.
Speaker 7: We'll consists.
Speaker 4: My God only gets nerried once in a while. This one nearly didn't.
Speaker 5: Manus Ma. The only reason I turned out and down three times was because I knew you were hovering around like a buzzard.
Speaker 3: Waiting for a car, A buzzard you called your own mother. I'm not kidding.
Speaker 5: When I saw that triumphal grin of yours, I came close to calling the whole thing up. I guess I got to love a guy.
Speaker 2: Of course, I always knew my Peggy would kick out a good boy, such a smart coil you were.
Speaker 3: I remember when you recited at the yes, good education.
Speaker 7: Cut it out, will your mama.
Speaker 3: You'll have time to cry later. How ed is my day's as best? His soul should be here?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I guess it would be nice.
Speaker 2: I always say it's nice to have I ducked in the family. Dentist doctor, he wears a wife is a barber.
Speaker 5: Only remember I'm marrying him.
Speaker 2: In spite of you, not because naturally, naturally, just so you're marrying him somewhere.
Speaker 5: Congratulations, you earned them me nobody else, Thank Heaven. That's the lastest Mah.
Speaker 4: You can rest. Now have beautiful wedding, Missus.
Speaker 3: Marx lovely, Missus Keller lovely.
Speaker 2: And it's a blessing to see how boy should get a nice, smart girl like your SAGGI.
Speaker 4: A match, Missus Kellot.
Speaker 3: How much you're ellen will go far.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 3: It's how load of my mind. Confidentially I can tell you now secret.
Speaker 2: Never I'm saying, I means s marks all ways to tell in his own way, Tatics, Missus Kelly.
Speaker 4: Sometimes I put my fee.
Speaker 3: I'm old. No, not just stuborn girl, stubborn, Missus ll think. Maybe it's easy, that's mine hell is not interest hearing ever?
Speaker 4: No never, But honestly I'm.
Speaker 2: Not forgetting times I wanted to shake that fine danis I come up at the vendor?
Speaker 3: Oh right, Missus Kilt, Yes, don't know. Well he's done now who over hellover he love it? Wait, Missus kelloth Wait, it's just beginning.
Speaker 1: You have just heard Whistle, Daughter Whistle, As written by Ernest Connoy and directed by Harry W. Jenkins. Our two lovable mamas, Missus Callis and Missus Marks, were played by Lenor Garland and Mildred Clinton. Peggy was Gene Tatum Alan Lamont Johnson. The music was composed and conducted by doctor Roy Shield. Radio City Playhouse is supervised for the National Broadcasting Company by Richard P.
Speaker 3: McDonough.
Speaker 1: Next week, Radio City Playhouse will offer another script by our director Harry W. Jenkins. It is the story of Hilda Bradley and the letter A Dangerous and a Foolish Letter. It is titled Special Delivery, and because we feel sure you'll enjoy it, we invite you most sincerely to join us LAPS Special Delivery next week Attraction five Radio, City Playhouse. This is NBC, the national broadcasting company.