Speaker 1: All right, let's see if I remember how to do this. It is. It's five oh five here.
Speaker 2: At Kentucky and his Morning News Coffee and Company on News Radio eight forty whas. That's it, right, That's how we start the show each and every day. I'm happy back, brother, I am happy to be back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good to have you back.
Speaker 2: For those who've already forgot about me, my name's Nick Coffee, and I'm here with you and hopefully going to be here with you for a while every morning to get things started. But yeah, nice to get a vacation, but certainly nice to be back with the team. The voice you heard there was the one and only Scott Fitzgerald, the company man. I still call him that, John Allen. He's alongside of courses always. And then we've got John Shannon, which I haven't seen him yet, but I assume he's here. Maybe he's got vacation I didn't know about here.
Speaker 1: Okay, good.
Speaker 2: I would have extended said vacation if I wasn't going to be able to reunite with the full team. But we're here and we are ready to up. I mean I realized during this vacation I was telling Scott about this right before we turned these microphones on and started gapping that this was a real eye opener for me as far as just the difference in doing this type of radio show show compared to being on the sports side because a variety of reasons. But what I didn't think about, but here I am realizing I really needed and man, it was awesome to have a nice, a nice week long vacation to just get away that you know, I didn't really not that I didn't miss you, guys. I did. I missed you badly, and I'm sure you missed me too. But it was like the first time in a long time I went on a trip where I really never thought much about work. And I think a lot of people I don't. I don't think it's I don't think it's unusual for people to try. But still it'd be a hard thing to completely remove yourself from work when you're on vacation, because you know when you go back, you're thinking about what you're gonna be walking into.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, my wife used to check her emails religiously, and that's one thing I'm good about, is the boundaries.
Speaker 3: When I'm on vacation, bro, I'm not checking the emails.
Speaker 5: I'm not.
Speaker 4: I mean, I might dial in on the way home just so I don't get caught off guard.
Speaker 1: But that's the way to do it.
Speaker 2: Bing, Go give it a little, a little glance, right, don't deep into it, don't because then you'll then you'll really start getting that anxiety. Oh man, I'm walking back into Like I told myself one I didn't i'd be walking into any kind of mess mony means. But regardless, ill when I get back to work, that's when I'll that's when I'll deal with it. But my wife did the same thing, Scott, I swear to you on on.
Speaker 1: So we had we were there.
Speaker 2: We got there Saturday of last weekend and then flew back yesterday, so it was it was a long trip for us. But by by Saturday we was our last full day. But we had a full day, meaning we would wake up the next morning and yesterday morning and we go to the airport, so it was still a day. If it wasn't like we had to start packing or check out. We just knew that when we go to bed, hey let's load up because we got.
Speaker 1: Hit the airport in the morning. Well, we're at the pool.
Speaker 2: It's like eleven am and she she she pulls open the email, and I'm like.
Speaker 1: Why would you do that exactly?
Speaker 2: And I get it, but I'm like, yeah, you had to know that was going to completely changed her vibe of our last day until I until I snapped her out of it because I'm thinking, what are you doing?
Speaker 4: Yep, you get back and you start prioritizing your returns and who you're going to email back there at least that's what I do.
Speaker 3: And then I get back and I look, okay, this is hot. We got to address this now.
Speaker 4: Let's put this down here, let's move this here, and ultimately, by about Wednesday or Thursday, stuff starts to equal out.
Speaker 3: I've done this dance enough times, and I used to be like your wife.
Speaker 4: I used to check religiously, especially here, and then I realized the world survives without me for a few days and when you prioritize it on your way back. So I'm glad you were able to get away and just really disconnect, because it will bog you down if you don't get that chance to breathe. And you text me a picture of your beautiful daughter and yourself repping that Piston's jersey appreciate that, bro, what a beautiful moment that is.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: And just in fact, I just sent my wife a picture. It popped up in my memories and my son and I at a Reds game about eight years ago, and I was blown away that how long ago eight years feels.
Speaker 1: We probably still look like a little kid then, right.
Speaker 3: Ringo, And when you get to this point.
Speaker 4: And so I thought of you when I saw that picture, because I thought of you with your daughter, and I'm like, dude, it's so awesome that you get to just die. And that's what we did. We went to a Reds game and I totally dialed out. We spent the weekend in Cincinnati and I never looked at em.
Speaker 2: And it's it's nice to reflect back on that and realize in the moment you were in the moment, right absolutely.
Speaker 1: I tell you what the this is something I know.
Speaker 2: Vacation is usually done in the summer, especially if you've got kids in the school system and whatnot. You can still go on trips anytime you want, any time of the year. So I would wreckon if you have a family where you just get kind of lost in the cycle right of every day. I mean, it's just it's such it's busy, routine work, whatever schedule your kids have, Like you just you start to just get in the rhythm and routine and you don't kind of stop in.
Speaker 1: I needed my time.
Speaker 2: I don't know if they needed it, and I'm sure maybe they're enjoying the break that they got when Dad left the house this morning at three forty five am. But I needed that time with my family. So such a consistent thing for first I mean, no real breaks from each other. And you know, I think there's times where I'm like, I don't know, man, maybe I'll need a break here and there. But I didn't get it, and it was great. We just we spent a lot of good time together and I know I needed it. I don't know if they did, and I'm not sure if they feel the same way, but uh yeah, always nice to get a vacation. I'd recommend just get away, get disconnected, and spend time with each other. You may want to rip each other's hair out here and there, but you'll you'll you'll fight through that and it'll be a good experience for you.
Speaker 3: I good for you, brother. Sounds like a great trip.
Speaker 2: I'm happy to be back for sure. All right, we've got to check at traffic in weather coming your way. We'll also get a sports update from Scott coming up here in about fifteen minutes or so, and then we'll have John Shannon with the latest newscast around five thirty. Look, I remember the form out of the show. Look at that not showing too much rust. Maybe I'll regret saying that, but anyhow, we got a lot to get to. What I want to get to on the other side is how about some props. I think it's I think we need to throw some props at JCPS for what was seemingly a smooth return to school. He'll go anywhere, stick with us. Right here, it is Coffee and Company, Kentucky in his morning news here on news radio. Wait forty whas.
Speaker 1: That's right. It is Monday.
Speaker 2: It is the first Monday of the school year for students at JCPS. They went back to school on Thursday, and I was so caught up in vacation, which I'm glad it was that way that I wasn't sitting around thinking, hmm, I wonder how things went for JCPS. And really, John, I wish I would have done this long long ago. But you you've you're an old soul because you don't spend near as much time connected to your device scrolling on social media platforms like I do, and I now don't do that quite as much. I didn't do it as much on vacation and I just and I just realized it because I didn't see anything about JCPS as far as how things went. And it was to two reasons, I think, one because I wasn't as plugged in my phone as I as I usually am, but also there wasn't any national story to share about JCPS going back to school and it being a nightmare. And that's good. I mean, it's good. For the first time in years, it seems like they they had a really smooth, nearly flawless opening day comparatively speaking. I mean, that's that's that's what you want now again kind of sounds weird, like, wow, the school system got kids to school way to go, Like it's given credit for something that should just be the bottom line expectation. But let's be real that has been an issue for them with a lot of factors at play, resources being one of them, and also just relying on things that did not work the way you intended.
Speaker 1: Them to work. But yeah, it.
Speaker 2: Sounds like things were smooth, and I mean I think you even had comments from folks that are on the board claiming that this is this is the best open the smoothest opening day they've had in years, and that's you know, many years. It's far it's hard to know exactly how to rank them as far as each year, how smooth was your return to school? But when you got a new superintendent for a school system like JCPS, that is that is clearly going to mean. That's one thing I'll say in this still new role to me, being more so news talk than sports talk, is JCPS is going to always be, you know, a talking point to an extent. Hopefully it's for good reason, and we should probably not just have them in new cycle whenever you've got, you know, a story like the nightmare they had a few years ago with getting back to school and the buses and all that, because clearly people that work for JCPS they want they want things to go well right And I still think we get a real problem on our hands if something doesn't change as far as young people wanting to get into that field. That's a scary thing. For being honest, so anyways, JCPI is obviously you know, our tax dollars support them, and there've been a lot of things that have been easy to criticize over the years. So when they have a smooth return to school with a new superintendent in that leadership role, I think it's I think it's a good thing. So it's just about six pm, only thirteen buses were still running with forty seven students total. About six twenty three. Just one bus remained on the road. And look, I know that that to me, that sounds really late to get home from school. But one I would imagine that as they get back into routine rhythm, that'll that time will change to where they'll be getting home a lot earlier. And one of the things I didn't realize just because I when I was in school myself many many years ago, I went to a very smaller, much smaller school system Bowie County Public schools nowhere near the size of JCPS, to where if you went to middle school, you started this time, you went to high school, you started this time.
Speaker 1: Well they've got it.
Speaker 2: They've got a stagger start times because of just how they have to coordinate the bus schedule. So anyhow, job well done. Hopefully their first Monday back at school is is going to be It's going to be a smooth one. Both my kids for the first time are going to be uh in school together. Tomorrow they start. My son's start in kindergarten. He's so excited, which I'm happy. That's better than him being scared, but I'm also I'm also sad that he's now getting that old. My daughter she'll be starting fourth grade. She's super excited. And then, of course, how many years is this going to be for your lovely wife as a teacher?
Speaker 1: Just this year seven?
Speaker 4: When she told me that the other day, I was like, my gosh, you've been teaching for that long already.
Speaker 2: That's that is crazy to think about. And she clearly loves what she does. I'm sure there's days where nobody wants to get up and go to work because that's life. But she's somebody we need more of, right, somebody that enjoys what they do, because man, it's important, and telling you it is. It is not an attractive line of work to get into for a lot of reasons. And that's again that's concerning all right, We've got another check of traffic and weather coming you right, Bobby, Let's will tell us how the roadways are looking. We'll get an updated forecast from at Melosavich of WLKY, and then Scott'll be back in for an update on sports right here on news Radio eight forty. Whas. How about that he's back, He's ten. He's the man on my flat home yesterday, John Shannon, I thought of you. I thought, I wonder what he's going to have up his sleeve for me to, you know, bring us out of his electric newscast back into the show.
Speaker 1: Well done.
Speaker 4: I had a nice long drive to come up with that one yesterday, and I thought I had to come up with something good for you to come back.
Speaker 3: It was time at the beach.
Speaker 1: It was perfect.
Speaker 2: It was perfect, and I'm certainly happy to be back here. It is Kentucky and it's morning news, coffee and company with you, five thirty five here on a Monday morning. And I didn't mentioned this yet within the show here. We've got a long way to go, but it is a big, big story from the weekend. And it was a story that even though I was not as plugged in as I usually am, because you know, I was on vacation. It became a story that got some legitimate national coverage and that was what you heard John discussing there in his newscast where you had a home invasion, bank robbery and then a man hunt that of course ended up with a woman stabbed her and her daughter, her two children. Actually we're kidnapped him and just just an awful situation all the way around. Nobody would disagree. But here is what the ultimate takeaway is, this was very avoidable. So the suspect, thirty two year old Armand Langford, again he broke into a woman's home, abducted her and her two kids, then forced her to drive to the PNC bank next to Oxmoor Center and then again armed with a large knife. He allegedly told he held into the woman's throat and told the tellers killer unless they gave him twenty thousand dollars. So again, just a horrific situation all the way around, but again this was avoidable. This individual, he's now facing robbery, kidnapping charges, assault charges. But this is somebody who has has been pretty consistent. I mean, this person was sentenced to fourteen years in prison for nearly a dozen robberies uh and and but was released months into his his sentence with shock probation. And I mean, I've said this before just in conversation, not necessarily in this setting, because it hasn't really come up, although it's certainly not been a rare thing where we don't believe people when they tell us who they are. They show us who they are consistently, and we should believe them. We should, We should, you know, we should trust that they're they're showing us, they're telling us who they are, because how many, I mean, I don't ask. I mean, I'm sure there's there's there's a there's research that can be done, and maybe maybe I should do it, but maybe maybe I shouldn't because then it would just remind me of how scary it actually is where people who have committed violent crimes, not once, but sometimes twice, maybe even more times, somehow end up not serving nearly enough time, and then they get out and they do what's predictable, they were able to, you know, get off without much of I guess a punishment in their eyes, right, I mean, if you're going to prison for fourteen years, you get out, you know, without even doing ten percent fifteen percent of your sentence, whatever it was, you probably feel like you won.
Speaker 1: You probably feel like you're untouchable.
Speaker 2: Man, I've committed all these crimes been I'm a violent criminal and I'm already out here on the streets again. I'll just keep doing that, right, and I've got to go back to you know, the prison for a few hours. It's worth it.
Speaker 1: I mean, this was.
Speaker 2: Avoidable, absolutely avoidable. And why these people are let out again, I know there's you know that. I'm sure those who make this decision will always mean him make you. The judge, by the way, who made this decision is Judge Jessica Green, and obviously her name's been talked about quite a bit in the last few months and.
Speaker 1: The last few days.
Speaker 2: I should say, just because when you hear of what wit a second, who made the decision to let this guy out of prison, who has again shown quite consistently throughout his entire life that he is a violent criminal. I mean, like somebody should be held responsible for this happening, because again, it was so clearly avoidable, and it's just it's awful, I mean, and I can't begin to know what kind of trauma comes with this as a family, meaning not just the mother her two children, but also the husband who's been pretty outspoken about just you know, this whole situation. So again there's layers to just dealing with this. But I think and I never certainly don't want to know, but I would just be fuming with rage. No, this person didn't need to be let out. And now they've now they've you know, probably unfortunately given these people a life changing experience in a negative way. It's it was absolutely avoidable. And that's just what is what is so crazy and this is almost something you can't make up. So apparently this individual he played briefly or he was at least on the roster as a college football player at Lindsay Wilson, Wilson College and NAI School out I believe in a Dare County, Columbia, Kentucky, and you can still pull up his his bio on his on his on his I guess his profile page on their roster and when asked about like why he loves football, it says that because he can hurt people, and it's he doesn't get in trouble for it.
Speaker 1: I mean, like this is this guy's been pretty consistent.
Speaker 2: He's a violent criminal and he liked football because he could hurt people, and you know he wouldn't bears with a crime.
Speaker 1: Just insane.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get to another update of traffick of weather right here at Kentucky, and it's Morning News Coffee and company with you on News Radio eight forty whas Good Monday morning, Kentucky, Ina. It is Kentucky and is morning news here on news radio eight forty whas Nick Coffee with you, Coffee and company, And we now bring in Rory O'Neill of NBC News. Rory, I'm fresh off vacation. I have a decent tan, and I really didn't have any issues with getting sunburned in Florida. But I did not use much sunscreen. I had a decent I guess base ten as I started.
Speaker 1: But I should I be worried because it wasn't really any plan for me.
Speaker 2: In fact, I'm surprised I didn't have a day where I'm like, oh, yeah, you probably should have put some sunblock on. But the anti sunscreen movement is apparently a real thing here.
Speaker 5: It is now.
Speaker 6: Remember you're talking to Rory O'Neill. I need sunscreen to go to the mailbox, Okay.
Speaker 5: Like it's that bad.
Speaker 1: I can imagine. I can imagine as.
Speaker 5: Someone in Florida, So yeah, it can be bad. But yeah, there is this growing movement.
Speaker 6: A lot of it has to do with online communities who are anti sunscreen, specifically over some of its ingredients they say may do more harm than good long term. They like the appointment of Robert F. Kennedy Junior to head up Health in Human Services and the Maham movement into the idea of taking a fresh look at some of these ingredients and again as to whether or not they could be harmful long term. Now, dermatologists will say, look, we've been using this stuff since the sixties and seventies.
Speaker 5: If it caused a problem, we would have known by now.
Speaker 6: And in fact they still maintain it is much safer to use sunscreen that could protect you from cancers like melanoma, that the benefits far away any potential threat, and they don't see any threat on the horizon.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I wondered when I was on vacation last week, just if you are somebody that if you're outdoors quite a bit and you live in an area where the sun can be real damaging, I guess it's not just because it's maybe comfort when it comes to the people who will wear long sleeves, and it looks very odd to someone like myself. I'm thinking, my goodness, you've got to be sweating your ear end off. Well, it's probably not just because of a comfort thing. It may just be because, okay, despite enough sun block, it's probably good to just cover up a little bit too. I mean, I don't the I guess the potential issues you could have with with the sun. I mean, the sun's a powerful thing here.
Speaker 5: Well, sure's even on cloudy days.
Speaker 6: It's because of those ultra violet rays from the sun that we know can lead to melanomas and cancers, and that's the real danger here.
Speaker 5: You know, you go to other parts of the world.
Speaker 6: I've spent some time in Australia, you know there are free dispensers of sunscreen.
Speaker 5: Everywhere, provided by the government. You know, they'll they'll like those giant mayonnaise jars that you just ump down.
Speaker 6: They're in every store and rest right, they're in every store and restaurant and they encourage everyone figuring that, you know, supporting sunscreen is a lot cheaper than helping to pay for cancer treatments. In the long run, and especially in the in the because of the geographical psition of Australia being closer to the polls, the thinner atmosphere, more UV rays get through.
Speaker 5: So that's why it's a greater concern in some of those locations.
Speaker 2: So AI is taking over a lot of things, and it's also now taking over the hiring process for a lot of big companies. But it sounds like employers that are looking for resources looking for work, looking for people to come and work for them, and also those that are looking for jobs themselves. There's some real doubts as far as this is the way to go here. What can you tell us as far as just the the you know, AI making its way to the hr process, as far as hiring.
Speaker 6: Yeah, both sides seem to hate it, which is the interesting part. So it's you know, employers say that, you know what, they use AI and they're seeing employees use it, or potential employees with faking resumes or cover letters or you know, the would be worker is even in some cases having the total fake identity and different people posing for them in remote interviews because well, if it's a remote job, you never necessarily have to see what the person looks like. So yes, So there's that part of the spectrum, and applicants are concerned that, you know, when AI reads my resume, I'll never make it past the first cut and my resume I know I'd be perfect for this job, but human eyes will never get a chance to see it. And that's the concern on the other end. So both sides think that AI is a game changer, and neither side seems very optimistic about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think if I'm somebody hiring someone, the thought of me not having any individual direct non artificial intelligence communication would be something I would avoid. And if I'm somebody that's looking for a job, I wouldn't like to know that that's the reason why, maybe why they're interested in me. So A, it's going to take over a lot of things, but I'm not at all surprised. There's some initial resistance here as far as yeah, this doesn't this isn't working well.
Speaker 6: Right, And then you want to gee, can Nick write a letter? I don't know, does he have to use AI in order to.
Speaker 5: Write a letter? What capabilities does he have?
Speaker 6: And it's tough to suss that out because considering AI is often used at about half of employee applicants say they've used AI in some way again, either for their resume the cover letter. Sometimes you have to provide a writing sample that they say they are relying on AI in order to submit that information.
Speaker 2: Rory, you're the best. Is always enjoyed the conversation. Happy to be back with our daily chats, and we'll do it again tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Talk to you then, Nick.
Speaker 1: Thank all right, that's Rory and Neil NBC News. Yeah, he's right.
Speaker 2: If you're I mean, you could be dumber than a boxer Rocks, but if you know how to use Chad gpt AI, you may be able to be dumb as a boxer Rocks and maybe be able to get away with pulling off a job that you're not really qualified for. But you've got a resource that again is clearly going to be readily available to all of us, even more so now, even more so moving forward than it is now. All right, let's get an update of traffick and weather. Also, we've got another sports update. Come on your way right here on there's RADIOA forty whs