Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to kf I AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: I mean a general rule is most of the stuff that I feel I can say, I would say in front of my parents, God Rest their souls. But that would that would that would not be one that I was like, whoa if my mom heard me.
Speaker 3: Say that you said that, I would dump it? Yeah, because I didn't. I think we all would.
Speaker 2: If you said if I said, Jacob's fingers would get all twitchy?
Speaker 3: Yeah they. I didn't know that was legal.
Speaker 1: Maybe the new FCC allows you to say things like that. Well, technically, have I got news for you?
Speaker 3: Have you got news for me? Can I have a drum roll?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: But if this is something lame, I'm going to be really upset. Coming up on November twenty ninth, okay, right after Thanksgiving.
Speaker 1: Right after Thanksgiving, yeah, I mean you still have a little bit of cranberry sauce on your mouth there. It's going to drop a debut holiday single called First Christmas from Diane Keaton.
Speaker 3: Your wife sent me this like singing, She did not? She sure did? Are you? She said?
Speaker 1: If you need a Christmas gift for Gary And she sent the post from Diane Keaton's instagram.
Speaker 2: Why is she looking at Dianae Keaton's Instagram?
Speaker 1: People really like Diane Keaton and Riba maccantire.
Speaker 3: That's awesome. They really really great for them. That's really awesome for them. I don't know why you have to be a hater.
Speaker 1: You know, you said earlier in the week, you said, I don't like it when people watch movies and then just poo poo them. Yeah, one could argue that Diane Keaton and Reba McIntyre are class in their own regard. That's okay, But yet you pooh pooh them. Yeah, I do, just because you don't want to have sex with them?
Speaker 2: Is that the only thing I don't want to do with them? That's the only thing that is not the only pretty short sighted, it is not the only thing, trust me.
Speaker 3: Uh okay. There is a lot going on today.
Speaker 2: The man accused of killing that nursing student Lake and Riley down in Georgia has been found guilty all ten counts against him. About a half an hour ago is when the judge read that ruling. He made his decision. The sentencing is scheduled to take place about twenty thirty minutes from now, so we'll get that when we hear it. The US Embassy in Kiev has closed its doors today out of an abundance of caution, warning that a potentially significant air strike may be incoming. According to information that the embassy said in an update, it recommends US citizens be prepared to immediately shelter in the event of an air alert. The embassy said it had received specific information about a potential strike today.
Speaker 3: So that's been going on.
Speaker 2: And then the House Ethics Committee voting somewhere maybe today to figure out what they're going to do with Matt Gates.
Speaker 3: I mean it is Matt. Yeah, Gates story is just awful.
Speaker 1: Apparently you sent ten thousand dollars in payments to two women who testified in the House investigation, two women who testified in front of this panel. The records include a check and records of Venmo payments.
Speaker 3: That appear to show this.
Speaker 1: Between July twenty seventeen and late January twenty nineteen, Gates made twenty seven Venmo payments totaling two d and twenty four dollars and two cents to the witnesses two cents.
Speaker 3: That's odd. It's an adduomount.
Speaker 2: I wonder if that's one of those things where you send a couple of pennies to make sure that it's the right person.
Speaker 3: Oh you ever done that?
Speaker 1: No, that sounds like shady behavior. The payments range from one hundred to more than seven hundred dollars each.
Speaker 3: I guess it was for tickets. It was July.
Speaker 1: Twenty eighteen when he paid them four hundred and thirty seven dollars and eighty two cents, so that may have been for the pretty woman tickets.
Speaker 3: So do you want to hear what the notes were? You know how you put a little note.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, let's see car deductible gift reimbursement, tickets, refreshments, love you, travel cartridges, travel vape cartridges. Oh my god, Oh that's right, that's right. Yeah, and then high and and the last payment was joy exclamation point.
Speaker 3: Ew.
Speaker 1: I'm just I'm grossed out reading the notes on the Venmo transactions.
Speaker 2: Do you remember the story about his adopted son. Now I have to use finger quotes when I say adopted son, because he's never actually adopted this guy, but he refers to him as an adopted son. He never formally adopted this kid, but when he was twelve, Nestor arrived in the United States after the death of his mother, and they said the relationship was defined by love, not paperwork. Gates said in a social media post several years ago. We share no blood, but he is my life. He came from Cuba legally of course, six years ago and lives with me in Florida. I'm so proud of him and raising him has been the best, most rewarding thing I've done in my life. However, it's not as clean and simple as that, because Gates was dating Nestor's older right, I remember that now, This Nestor Galban is a Air Force first Class airman based at Ramstein in Germany. Again, you mentioned that it was one of some of these VENMO payments went through Nestor Galban's VENMO account, and there are questions about the exact nature of the relationship between these two guys. Was it a father son I mean, Matt Gates is not. I guess you could say he's technically old enough to be the guy's dad, but this is just a gross, disgusting Oh can I let me point something out. Marjorie Taylor Green of all people, is now jumping to this guy's defense.
Speaker 3: Really listen to this.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, is this the thing where she says, you're all dirty, let's let everyone dance.
Speaker 3: In the sunlight? Exactly what it says. It's a good line.
Speaker 2: If we're going to release ethics reports and rip apart our own that Trump has appointed, then put it all out there for the American people to see. All the ethic reports and claims include the one I filed all your sexual harassment and assault claims that were secretly settled, paying off victims with taxpayer money, the entire Jeffrey Epstein files, tapes, recordings, witness interviews, but not just those, there's more. Epstein isn't the only asset. If we're going to dance, let's all dance in the sunlight. I'll make sure we do see.
Speaker 1: And that is a very bold b It's kind of the undercurrent of what I've been thinking about this entire Gates investigation and the pushback to releasing it and sharing it with the Senate. And it's because how many other dirty things are they trying to hide in their own past, not too distant past.
Speaker 3: It is all at present.
Speaker 2: I mean, then you have to imagine there are plenty of secrets that they want. Yes, jd Vance is taking meetings with former Congressman Matt Gates and Republican members of the Senate. Senator John Kennedy out of Louisiana. Reference that man Ja.
Speaker 5: For the meeting, and you know, we may talk about the Damad's cowboys.
Speaker 3: I think you're undecided who they think you're so I have no idea.
Speaker 5: You don't have to talk to them. They just say it's for a meeting, And I said, sure, I love meetings.
Speaker 3: Do you do you have concerns about Kates? Have you decided where you've been.
Speaker 5: We've got a process, as you know, and we're going to follow it, and we're going to have a full hearing in front of God and country, and we're going to vet all the nomination, not just congressmen. Gage.
Speaker 3: I love that guy's accent, do you I do? I think he sounds like a sleepy dog. He does like a sleepy dog cowboys for all I know.
Speaker 2: Strong winds down to trees and rattled windows up in the Pacific Northwest as this bomb cyclone makes six way across the West coast, hurricane force winds hit the area. There were about five hundred and thirty thousand customers without power.
Speaker 3: There. At least one person was killed.
Speaker 2: Some far northern parts of California, you've also seen power knocked out because of this storm, and it is expected to pick up intensity over the next two days. I just checked some of the Caltrans cameras way up in the northern part of the state, think of Lake Shasta and parts north of there.
Speaker 3: All of it is snow. Some of those roads are completely shut off.
Speaker 2: Avalanche warnings have been posted for Mount Shasta today and the Bay area. North Bay specifically is expected to see as much as ten inches of rain over the next two or three days. That's about usually a month's worth of rain in just two or three days.
Speaker 1: Some families may not get a Christmas tree because of Hurricane Helene. The storm impacted evergreen farms in North Carolina East Tennessee a lot of trees unavailable. One of the Christmas tree lots in Nashville, guy who runs at jim Sovine says he's not getting seventy percent of the trees he ordered because the farms were hit so hard.
Speaker 3: I've got a tree.
Speaker 1: For somebody who needs one, Jesus, Mary and Joseph. Is this a Dean Sharp special? So Dean Sharp who does a show on the weekends here every year he does a partnership with a decorating company, a home decor company, and they bring in a tree and they set it up and I mean, the guys, this tree.
Speaker 3: Can we post a picture of it? We should?
Speaker 1: I'm going to post a picture of it on our Instagram story right now. I've seen pink Christmas trees. As you've said it perfectly. You walked in and got a cavity.
Speaker 3: It is the It looks like cotton candy and.
Speaker 1: It's just very pink, different shades of pink, blush and bashful. It's like a steel Magnolia's wedding in here. The ornaments are crazy expensive, like the ice cream coney.
Speaker 2: Everybody thinks about putting ice cream cones on their Christmas trees.
Speaker 1: The ice cream cones alone, they're like gold and sparkly.
Speaker 3: They're eighty four dollars and fifty cents apiece. The pink balls are like, let me see how big.
Speaker 1: Are these are?
Speaker 3: Thirty two dollars and fifty cents for an.
Speaker 1: Ornament that is a if we could feed families with this tree.
Speaker 3: The tree is expensive. It's awful. Okay, don't say that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: See, if you like cotton candy, you're gonna love this baby Jesus tree.
Speaker 1: There's no baby Jesus. Baby Jesus did not want his tree to be pink. I'll tell you that right now. Certainly didn't have ice cream cones to snack on.
Speaker 3: No, he did not. Jesus never had an ice cream cone.
Speaker 2: The latest transition name coming out of the transition team for President elect Trump is Matthew Whittaker, who has chosen to be the next ambassador to NATO. Said that Trump said that Whittaker is a strong warrior, loyal patriot who will ensure the United States interests are advanced and defended. He was the attack sorry the acting Attorney General for about three months during the middle of Trump's first term. He had been serving as chief of staff to Jeff Sessions for a bit more than a month, but remember Jeff Sessions then retired, resigned as Attorney General, and then Whittaker bumped up just temporarily. He was also the US Attorney for the Southern District of Iowa during the w Bush administration private practice for a long time before he went back to the DOJ.
Speaker 1: Let's see Linda McMahon pick for Education secretary. She is a major Republican donor, former pro wrestling executive. She was an administrator of the Small Business Administration during Trump's first term.
Speaker 3: So she is proached.
Speaker 1: She's the chair of the America for Policy Institute, a pro Trump think tank.
Speaker 2: By the way, this she's now heading the Education Department. The you know, the rallying call a lot of times has been for them to get rid of the Education Department, at least the federal.
Speaker 3: Department of Education. You can't do that.
Speaker 2: It requires an Act of Congress to do something like that. There's very little support for that to happen, even with Republican majorities in both the House and the Senate.
Speaker 1: Doctor Oz seems to be Trump's pick for the Medicare Medicaid Obamacare agency. He noted Trump did that doctor Oz had won nine Daytime Enemy Awards, where he taught millions of Americans a stupid flex how to make healthier lifestyle choices.
Speaker 2: I had forgotten about doctor Oz running for Senate.
Speaker 3: I did too. He ran against Fetterman.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just I hadn't spent any time thinking about doctor Oz. The last time I think I saw Doctor Oz was when he was on the television when we were in the other studio, and he had a bunch of people on stage showing how they wipe themselves, their toilet paper configuration. He had one woman who appeared to wrap the toilet paper around her fingers. Another woman was a buncher of the toilet paper, And I remember thinking, why am I looking at women on national television telling me how they wipe.
Speaker 3: That's my last interaction with doctor Oz. And we do not need to reopen that book.
Speaker 1: Many squares, please please, I do want to open up a book, a different book today. Oh yes, this is the book I want to open up today. Your favorite Thanksgiving side. It is a fierce debate in this country. Is it the mashed potatoes? Is it the stuffing? Is it the mac and cheese? Is it sweet potatoes, sweet potatoes.
Speaker 2: Beans, the beans, the corn, casserole, corn, whatever, castrole, whatever it is, let us know.
Speaker 1: For me, I'm going to go out and be crazy and tell you it is this.
Speaker 3: It is the rolls and the butter.
Speaker 4: And the butter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Amy, I'm serious about my butter?
Speaker 3: Where do we keep our extra butter? Hey?
Speaker 1: Dad, that's one of the funniest bits you did when your kid went to college, because you know, when you go to college and you get you put on some weight.
Speaker 3: All of us did.
Speaker 1: And when your daughter went to college, you were wondering if she if that was gonna happen, and you said, she is she gonna come home and say, hey.
Speaker 3: Where's the but where's the extra butter? She didn't. Everything's funny, Gary.
Speaker 6: I like to welcome you to the Diane Keaton hate Club. I also don't like her for many many reasons, but thank you for joining up and being part of club. We're going to send you the gift basket and what we're going to do is get that album that she has and we're gonna burn it.
Speaker 2: I don't have to do that. I don't know if I want to be a member of that club. It's just I'm not going to go watch the movie that Dia keats.
Speaker 3: She has a lot of fans. I'm not saying she doesn't.
Speaker 4: Okay, you guys, you're kind of being mean to icons in the industry that a lot of people like I haven't been. Meaning a personal friend of Diane Keaton. She's philanthropic. She's just a wonderful person and scary. You're kind of being.
Speaker 3: A whoa's fired. Yeah, I am you are. She is wonderful.
Speaker 1: In my defense, she did sing in First Wives Club because they sing you don't own me, her and Bette Midler and the others. Okay, I'm really hitting all the high notes.
Speaker 2: The only reason anybody knows that I feel this way about Diane Keaton is because you can bringing it up.
Speaker 3: That's the only reason.
Speaker 1: I did not alert you to the single that was your wife. I will argue you people, you people, she actually people did a duet with a singer a couple of years ago. A single Love is letting go. We're gonna have to uh, we're gonna have to play that. Ash is the singer's name. She reached out to Diane Keaton because she's such a fan. She thought that she was being catfished. When she finally got on the phone with Diane Keaton, she thought, no way am I getting on the phone with Diane Keaton. She's the most precious, wonderful human in the world.
Speaker 2: Okay, I am not I'm not making a value judgment on who she is as a person's I think you would find her love for close friends have said she's philanthropic. She is philanthrop I know she has a heart for animals, right. I believe she's very active when it comes to animal rights causes.
Speaker 3: I'm down with that.
Speaker 1: Who isn't who isn't for the animals? Like, is there a group of people that say kill the animals? I mean everyone's pretty much an animal rights activist, aren't they.
Speaker 3: I think so.
Speaker 2: As of right now, there are just over a half a million households without electricity up in the Pacific Northwest and Washington State where this bombo genesis, cyclone, bomb, atmospheric river whichever term you want to use, has been tearing through that part of the country hurricane force winds in some of those areas. Seattle was particularly hard hit. Puget Sound Energy, is the utility up there, said that hundreds of thousands of people lost power in what they're referring to this mass outage event that could last multiple days. The fire department in Bellevue, which is just east of Seattle, says trees are coming down all over the city, multiple trees falling into homes. In Lynnwood, which is a suburb of Seat to the north, a woman in her fifties was killed when a tree fell on a homeless encampment just before seven o'clock last night. A couple of people had to be rescued in Maple Valley, southeast of Seattle, taking to a hospital when a tree fell on their trailer. Took firefighters an hour to get one of those people out.
Speaker 3: So have you heard of the White Rabbits? Oh? You know what?
Speaker 2: This reminds me, yes, because we did a story the Boys ago.
Speaker 3: What do you mean it was.
Speaker 2: The Lost Boys of Something something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Boys Something, the gangs that were in Disney Drest in Money.
Speaker 3: I think still call back to that story. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Some stories we are following for you today. A report related to an investigation into Matt Gates will be the focus of a closed door meeting by the House Ethics Committee today. Number of Senate Republicans and Democrats have said they want to review the report about out the allegations of sexual misconduct elicit drug use before his confirmation hearing takes place next year. Mike Johnson has been an ardent opponent to this plan. He says it they don't have jurisdiction any longer and this report should just die along with that.
Speaker 3: I have better news.
Speaker 1: It's President Biden's birthday. It is it is eighty two. They said he got in from Brazil late last night and that he'll celebrate his birthday with his family. I think he'll celebrate in bed. It's a long trip. I would too at eighty two.
Speaker 3: Bring that cake to me. I'm not going to the cake right.
Speaker 2: Seventeen year old former Oxford Academy student down in Orange County the youngest person to ever pass the California Bar exam. Sophia Park passed the exam. She took it back in July. It allows her to become a practicing lawyer in the state at the age of seventeen years and eight months.
Speaker 3: She passed the bar exam. Good for her.
Speaker 2: She already has a job at the Tillarry County DA's office as a prosecutor. She beat the record for the youngest person to pass the state bar exam set.
Speaker 3: By her older brother, Peter oh Cool.
Speaker 2: Her older brother Peter passed it in seventeen years in eleven months.
Speaker 3: She beat him by three months. Wow.
Speaker 2: She is currently a law clerk for the DA's office and becomes a prosecutor next March. They both attended Arnold Elementary School down in Cyprus and later Oxford Academy, also in town, part of the Anaheim Union High School District.
Speaker 1: Disney Adults Disney Adults devotion to Disney rooted in nostalgia genuine love of Disney. These are clubs social clubs that were a near constant weekend presence at Disneyland and California Adventure. There were more than seven hundred active social clubs in California at one point, and I went over the names. Walt's Most Want had frozen, few Main Street Elite and the like. They say that they are were unaffiliated with Disney, and they would gather in groups wearing some of them wearing sleeveless denim vests like the style of biker gangs, but their vests were decorated with logos Disney related punk style patches and pins all Disney. They'd spent hours, eating, drinking, taking selfies. Now they say that they're not doing it anymore. They say that Disney's introduction of a strict online reservation system for theme park admissions after the pandemic are making things complicated. The price increases for tickets, annual passes, concessions. They say that these regular trips are now unaffordable for many families. Disney says large groups can visit the parks if they plan ahead sufficiently, even on the weekends.
Speaker 2: But if you, well, you have to convince everybody in that group to go at the same time, I think is what their concern is. And if you're paying. If the ticket prices continue to go up, then that's going to be hard to be able to convince everybody or a group to go. But I mean, if you belong to a group called the Big Bad Wolves.
Speaker 3: Ohso though like I don't.
Speaker 1: If I'm Disneyland, I'm not going to make it easy for the Disney adults to do their ride takeovers. When I've got a family from Ohio that's been spent the saving for ten years to take the family out here, they don't want to see a bunch of sixty year old dudes and Denham with patches. They want to see Goofy and other kids and other strollers.
Speaker 3: One of the members of No Offense to That Guy.
Speaker 2: One of the members of Big Bad Wolves, joined a few years ago in he's a construction guy out of San Bernardino, and he said instead of going to Disney one time, they skip Disneyland in favor of Castle Park out in Riverside, smaller medieval themed park. Our twenty five dollars tickets. Castle Park. That sounds like fun, he says. Everybody could afford it. You didn't need a reservation, and we all had a blast man and he said he joined the club in part to pass on his love of Disney characters and the camaraderie of the group to his two daughters, which is awesome. It's awesome. It's great to have that social group. It's unfortunate that you feel like you can't do it at Disneyland. You can, and like you said, Disney has repeatedly said, you can absolutely do it. As long as you plan ahead, you can get big groups through there, no matter who they are.
Speaker 1: Castle Park looks pretty cool. A kingdom full of fun for kids and the young at heart. More than twenty rides, a seasonal water playground, playground, four whimsical mini.
Speaker 3: Golf courses and arcade.
Speaker 1: They've got Merlin's Revenge, King's Crown Rock and tug Dragon's Tower.
Speaker 3: It's like a generic Disney ley. Don't say that it's kind of casey. It's like JV. It looks like fun. We had like a park like that. I think it was in Pedaluma. No, it didn't really, No, there was no amusement park and it wasn't.
Speaker 1: An amusement park. It was kind of like there was. I mean it was amusement park light. I have to ask my mother where that was. I thought it was Pedaluma. The fair grounds. No, we had a fair. I know you had a fair. It was a sad fair. There's a lot of math and coke in that fairy.
Speaker 3: You had to come down to Miranda get the real.
Speaker 1: Fair, to the Renaissance fair that you guys would have. No, that's in Nevado. I mean the the Marine County. You know the center fell right, that was the big fair.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you guys outdid us when it came to fairs. All right, it's okay, your fare was fine. I don't have fair envy. It's not obviously holy. I'm over it now. When we come back.
Speaker 1: Police in Los Angels searching for more victims. Apparently there was a group that was targeting elderly churchgoers. It was this kidnapp for robbery plot and they think that there are a lot more victims out there. Will tell you what we know when we come back to Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.