Speaker 1: This is a clip from Beyond Truth. You can access the entire episode now on our website and all podcast platforms.
Speaker 2: There's nobody there at zombie Land, and we're in it. We are making our own zombie Land, Isn't it crazy? And tonight we're gonna be talking about that. Nina, You're gonna fill me in and all the juicy answers and help me figure out what this dead that is all over.
Speaker 1: I know it's crazy, So it's not a new concept. This has been out there for quite a while, more in the fringe end of it, sort of tongue in cheek, you know. The whole dead Internet theory has been sort of a conspiracy theory, I guess, for quite a while. However, nowadays, though, we have to revisit this because now it's starting to feel more real, you know. I'm sure you've all noticed, you know, how many bots are out there and all this kind of stuff. So now I think it's time to sort of look into this, you know what I mean. We haven't really talked about this before. It's been one of those things that you've heard about, but we hadn't really touched on it. So that's what we're going to do tonight, We're going to look at that whole theory and then you guys make up your own mind. What do you think, you know what I mean, leave us some comments sound below if you don't mind, before we even get going to smash that, like, share this out so we can spread the word out there, you know what I mean. And yeah, let's get into it. So the dead Internet theory, the idea is that the Internet is no longer mostly real people talking to real people. Instead, more and more of what we see online might be bots, AI generated content, fake engagement, fake comments, fake influencers, fake trends, and now even fake videos and fake voices, and this is becoming a problem, right, So that's why we're looking into this. And when you add then the AI deep fakes to this, so that's the other part of this is sort of the dead Internet, but also the AI deep fakes is what we're going to go into because they kind of go hand in hand, you know what I mean. This is becoming a problem for people like I know, for me, I have a hard time, you know, figuring out what's real, you know what I mean. It looks so real, it looks like the person is saying that, and yet it's fake, so we really got to be careful. But well, when you add the AI deep fike into this, the question becomes scary. How much of the Internet is still real? Are we seeing a real public opinion? Are we watching real people? Are we reading real comments or viral trends organic or are they being pushed by bots and algorithms? And I can answer that right now that that's exactly what goes on. You know, it's it's we all have the question like where who who decided that that's trending? Now? Who decided that this is what's in now? You know what I mean? And it's always been sort of that way with influencers and whatnot, But now with the Internet, I mean, it's just ridiculous. But if video, audio, photos, and comments can all be faked, then what happens to truth? So tonight we're going to go into the dead Internet theory AI deep fakes, both manipulations, fake reality scams, political deception, and the spiritual side of what happens when humans can no longer trust what they see. So all right, so, Robert, do you feel like that the Internet is different now than like ten twenty years ago? When it first came out. Do you feel like it's different?
Speaker 3: Well, first off, are you real, Nina?
Speaker 1: Maybe it's not even me. It's my double gainer.
Speaker 3: You know, we need your gospel gat safe.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, we gotta have a safe word exactly. But you know what, it's gonna read my mind, because that's what the internet does. It reads your mind. It does you ever think of that?
Speaker 1: I feel that way?
Speaker 2: And then or is it the Box center doing the thing in Moreau?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. Something has really changed.
Speaker 2: I know I look this up and and it said it was back in twenty ten.
Speaker 3: Heck, I didn't even use the computer back in twenty ten.
Speaker 2: I didn't really get good at the computer until probably twenty sixteen was when I finally figured out what the Internet was and really using it myself. So anything before that point.
Speaker 1: Really, I don't know.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I know the Internet then way before you as like I like, we were one of those first people that got the Windows ninety five. That's when we you know, like the computer had been out for a while before that, but we didn't have a computer in our house until the Windows ninety five. I was the big craze when that first came out, we did go out and get a computer right then. So I've been on the internet since ninety five mm, so I remember like the beginning of it, which is kind of neat. Yeah, you missed the whole decade. I can't sell it, eh.
Speaker 2: You know that it goes to prove something to you, see, Yeah, you know what it was like.
Speaker 3: It's like that like us, you know, we grew up with the.
Speaker 2: Phone on the wall, you know, on the dial or maybe no phone at all, and a party line and all of that. And now the kids they have a cell phone and they don't even know what a dial phone is or party line.
Speaker 1: It's hilarious when you I've seen these things where you know, you bring a couple of young people to try and figure out that the rotary dot was hilarious. I laughed. I tee myself, laughing at myself. Yeah, I wish I had kept one of those phones and just for it to see what the grandkids would do with it, but I never did. But yeah, it's hilarious.
Speaker 2: It is. But that's the same thing with the Internet. When I got on it, you know, I knew what it was. I was just experimenting and kind of looking at stuff. I remember sitting on it and going, wow, this is cool.
Speaker 3: Oh boy, you.
Speaker 2: Know, and now you know, now I'm finally, you know, immersed into it. So I only know one way, and it's it has been morphing and changing slowly, some things for the better and other things for the worse.
Speaker 1: So not to drag this out anymore, but I remember back in the day, like even as a content creator, you know, researching, you know, you would find all kinds of things. Now it's all scrubbed out. They you only find what they want you to know. Now, before everything was out there for everybody to find. And so I've definitely noticed a huge difference. I'll go and look up something that I looked up ten, fifteen, twenty years ago, can't find it anymore. It's gone. Even Wikipedia a scrubbing certain people out. There's a lot of a lot of differences in there. But anyways, let's keep on script here because otherwise this show will take up all night. But so it claims that much of what we see online is created or controlled by bots, ar generated post fake accounts. That's another thing, the fake accounts, like you know, algorithm manipulation, corporate campaigns most you know, or the things you see how there are ads people are paid for you to see this, you know what I mean. You think you might think it's content, but really it's an ad, is what it is now. And then you've got the political influence operations, I mean, engagement farms and automated system pretending to be real people. And this is the problem. Now. I don't think that every person online is fake. Obviously we know our friends and family and whatnot, you know what I mean. And I don't think that the whole Internet is dead per se, you know what I mean. But I do think a lot of people feel that the Internet has changed most definitely. It used to feel more human. Old forums, blogs, comet sections and communities feel real people talking. It feels like it's real people talking. Now everything feels more controlled. Some topics trend everywhere at once, people repeat the same phrases. Commet sections feel fake, articles sounds copied. Search results feel less helpful. They certainly do. They don't have any of the stuff that we used to get. We used to get everything, Like I said, now you only get a small snippet if you get anything at all, depending on if they want you to research that, if they want you to go down that rabbit hole or not so and sometimes it feels like the Internet is just machines talking to machines. Why humans sit there watching And that's basically what we talked about last week. You know what I mean about mold book and the Crustaferian thing. That's a whole nother rabbit hole that if you haven't checked that out, go and watch that. I might link it at the end here at the end of the show, so that if you miss that show, go and check that out, because that's basically kind of what's going on. That's not just the theory that's actually going on. Okay, so it's not just that bots exist. We know bots exists. The deeper question is our bots and ai ai now shaping what we think society believes. And unfortunately that is what's going on, because if fake counts can make one opinion look popular, real people may follow along. And that's the problem with people, is that people just go along to get along something saying oh, this is what's in now everybody's doing it. I remember saying that as a kid. Well, mom, but everybody's doing it, and so if everybody's doing it, then we want to do it as well. And that's the human nature and they are cashing in on that unfortunately. And so you know, again it goes back to who decided that that pants style that we're wearing now, you know what I mean? Or this is the in color this year, or whatever it is that they're trying to influence, you know, and so.
Speaker 2: Well I can hear it now right now. You know, I'm breaking in because I hear it right now. I know the chats they're screaming out and they're saying, what is it? The mom's said, bum says, if everybody goes along to get along, doesn't mean you don't.
Speaker 3: You don't have to do what they're doing. Don't be a follows.
Speaker 1: If all your friends jumped off jumped off the bridge, would you do it too? You know what I mean? Like, you know, just because everybody else is doing it, it doesn't mean that it's the right thing to do. That's the idea, right, So but.
Speaker 2: But that but again, you and me talking about it about five minutes before the show about huh, you know, use using the chat, you know, and it's like, hmmm, well everybody else is and but it is the end thing right now, and someday it might be the out thing, and but it's helping us, and uh, is that for the My question you is, is that for the better or for the worse? Is that making us better people? Humans?
Speaker 1: I would say no, probably to that, And yeah, you know we we are, you know, doing the same thing like we were talking before the show that you know, we're using the AI and you know, and those who aren't are behind. People aren't going to watch the shows if you're not keeping up with you know, all the graphics and the shorts and all this stuff, you don't do it. If you just do what we did ten fifteen years ago, nobody will see your show, you know. So we're kind of forced to have to do it as well if we want to keep up with the Joneses. That's exactly what it is, you know. And so yeah, we're not exempt from it either. So but yeah, let's get because if fake accounts can make one opinion look popular, real people may follow along. I guess I already said that humans are social creatures, and this is where we're getting to what I was just talking about. We look around to see what other people think, right, and what they're doing. So if boss can fake public opinions, they can influence real public opinion. This is where it becomes dangerous. So have either of you even seen a comment section that felt fake? Who coordinate? Have you seen a comment section that feels fake or coordinated? Do you even go into the comment section? I don't know.
Speaker 2: There are comments I've seen that look pretty plain, Jane, But it's knowing how to spot them because they're getting But the thing is they're getting better. It's just like when you're talking to a bot or what have you, or you're watching a AI generated video.
Speaker 3: The video.
Speaker 2: A bot won't repeat itself and they won't say incorrect words like you know, you know, you know, you know that that kind of stun thing. Yeah, that's a human thing exactly, and we are so used to hearing that, and then then when they don't, we say, oh, that sounds kind of kind a little odd, you know. And the voice could be really sounding human. I've seen ones where it really sounds human. The text sounds too good to be. You know, people don't talk like that. That's what I'm saying. Don't match what we would come out of our filthy mouths.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can kind of you can hear it on the dialogue, whether it's AI or not. That's true. Now I actually have firsthand experience here because the way they've set up social media as well as YouTube and all these platforms is that you pay to play. If you don't pay, you don't go anywhere. And so I did once when I had that giveaway there a couple of months ago, I actually, uh went and paid money for that video, okay, tonor to monetize it or I can't remember what it's called now, but I gave YouTube some money, Okay, sure enough. Now, all of a sudden, it