Speaker 1: The Adventures of Christopher Wells program formerly scheduled at this time, is now broadcast at a new time on Tuesday evenings Tunion for the Adventures of Christopher Wells Next Tuesday and every Tuesday at nine thirty p m. Eastern Standard Time.
Speaker 2: You were standing at the doorway of a cabin on Cashier Creek, upon the ridge the bloodhounds of cottcher scent, and between you and the fortune, between you and escape on the white jaws of a deadly cotton mouth.
Speaker 1: Escape reduced and directed by William N. Robeson, and carefully contrived to for you from the four walls of today for a half hour of high adventure.
Speaker 2: Tonight we escaped to the worn out acres of a poor white trash farmer somewhere in the southern mountains. In urbanesque Cub's great tale of vengeance, Snake Doctor. This story is about snakes and two men. One man was afraid of snakes and the other wasn't.
Speaker 3: The one who wasn't was known along Cashier Creek as Snake Doctor. His cabin was near the creek bottom land, where there's a powerful lot of cotton mouths, and he earned his meager living by rendering down their soft fats, bottling the oil and selling it for Everyone knew there was no remedy for rheumatism like snake oil. Snake Doctor was harmless. But there were folks who honestly believed that he was a colleague of Bielzebub just because he wasn't afraid of snakes.
Speaker 2: And that's not.
Speaker 4: All they believed about him.
Speaker 3: Now, the man who was afraid of snakes was Jaf Mourner, who was Snake Doctor's nearest neighbor. Jaffe was the kind of man we all know who suspected, feared, and hated anything he didn't understand, and he understood neither cotton mouths nor the snake Doctor. In short, Jaff was on her, ignorant and shiftless. He'd rather shoot squirrels and chopped cotton. He'd rather fished and whole corn. And that's just what he's doing now, fishing down the big hole with his son and heir. Finney, who's old enough but not quite bright enough to handle a.
Speaker 5: Missed him.
Speaker 6: Dobby, Benny, you play pool, gets in the creek, the cotton mouth tramp on him in front of it.
Speaker 5: You got him, He caught him. Keep your foot on him while I finish the stick. You don't need to son.
Speaker 2: Hey, he's dead, now come here.
Speaker 5: How can you hear anything of that rifle?
Speaker 4: Paul?
Speaker 5: I had to be draught on him riding I.
Speaker 2: Could turn fool flame snake whilst I'm a fishing Heck, you.
Speaker 6: Were, sonny itself? Not more than to there from you? How'd you like to get yourself?
Speaker 5: Bit?
Speaker 2: Won't be no fish roundhead of funderation after all that record. Well, come on, let's go home and get us some fiddles.
Speaker 3: Jeef Mourner tossed his bait can into the creek and threw a stick after it. He stood there watching.
Speaker 4: The stick slowly taught the big.
Speaker 3: Hole where the creek widened behind a jam of drift wood. Jake watched as the edd he caught the stick and sucked it beneath the dam. Jeff was curious. He moved downstream a rod or two and waited, watching the water boil up from under the drift wood. But the stick didn't come up.
Speaker 4: That was strange.
Speaker 3: Matched cord under there, in a tangle of water, soap, and sunken logs, probably had stayed there for months. Maybe stay there always, Jee considered this, and an idea began to form in his slow mind as he and finished out at home.
Speaker 5: Hey, Paul, how much joy you reckons? And this one? Paul?
Speaker 4: Paul?
Speaker 2: What you join about?
Speaker 4: Son?
Speaker 5: It's old cotton man? How much ore it down? Go down?
Speaker 2: Why go down? Like I say, I'll make your wish.
Speaker 5: I was even on rindom you cotton mouse fat like the snake doctor. Doesn't. Maybe sell it and make myself some money.
Speaker 2: I don't like a squirming things around me, but it's dead. Leave it word dropped. I've come on home.
Speaker 5: You were scared on cotton mouse?
Speaker 4: Paul?
Speaker 2: I know better than to get myself bit by him?
Speaker 5: Tip Bailey.
Speaker 6: Know the fella got hisself fit once and there weren't a drop of liquor for myus. So he goes to work and cuts open the live chicken and puts it by his leg where the bite was, and fella lived too. Reckon, Mister Rives, ever gets yourself bit, Paul handling cotton mouths like he does?
Speaker 5: Who mister Rives?
Speaker 3: Who?
Speaker 5: Mister Rives?
Speaker 6: That's old snake Doctor's real name, Mar says, I oughtn't to call him snake doctor.
Speaker 2: Never mind what Jr. Mar says, nobody in my family's calling nose snake loving scum. Mister ride.
Speaker 5: Heck, that's what I say.
Speaker 2: Wanna see what you do?
Speaker 6: Sure, Paul, you know I could have made myself some honey renting that cotton mouse fat down into oil.
Speaker 5: How much you reckon Old snake Doctor makes out in all?
Speaker 2: He says, I don't know.
Speaker 6: Tip Bailey says, Old snake Doctor's got more than a thousand dollars hit away somewhere as in his cabin.
Speaker 2: More night, most likely cut it, Old miser, don't spend nothing. I ain't got nothing say about old rack of bones.
Speaker 7: Man dip Bailey says, whenever Old snake Doctor sets foot out in his place, he's got the granddaddy of all cotton mouse that he leaves out in the cabin to stand god on his money. M dip Bailey says he see the old snake Doctor put him in his pocket, live cotton mouse.
Speaker 2: Snake Doctor ain't fitting a belive itself.
Speaker 5: Or mar says he ain't bad, says he don't mean nobody.
Speaker 2: Hih, you mall better be careful who she's so satan with.
Speaker 5: She says he don't have good sense.
Speaker 6: Had the fever too much, He says, you ever been the snake Doctor's cabin.
Speaker 2: Paul, I don't have nothing more I have to to do with that snake loving hodoo.
Speaker 6: Tip Bailey says he bet wouldn't be no task all for something no good. Poke around in the snake doctor shack and find all the money and make off with it.
Speaker 2: Hm.
Speaker 6: Oh, this blames and durnire, rendering me down. Look in my head full of sweat, Paul, here, look here, Mmm see durn there, God full of sweat, Come off me? Why it turned down that way?
Speaker 5: Paul? It's come on noon dinner, be most ready.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna tell a snake love and hoodoos that there's some of them cotton miles on the criickside of deadn't.
Speaker 5: Oh here kenos.
Speaker 2: Then I'm gonna tell him he's got my leave to catch him. You don't need to come along if you don't want it.
Speaker 5: Well, if you're going over to his place, I'd kind of like to see it my own set.
Speaker 3: Going in, Paul.
Speaker 5: He ain't to whom else? He to showed himself now, I reckon, So can you see any of the snakes?
Speaker 2: I told you to keep an eye out for him.
Speaker 5: I bets in one of them chinks, Paul, I bet the money.
Speaker 2: I ain't a looking for no money. Huh, must be a dang snake itself living in a place like you, Paul.
Speaker 6: I know you ain't looking for any money, But if in you was, wouldn't you're looking at chink.
Speaker 5: Right up there?
Speaker 2: Oh where sir?
Speaker 5: Right there? Second dog by the fireplace on the right. You see that the hole?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I reckon, I would look up there. Well, since we're here, might as well see for myself.
Speaker 5: Oh, I wouldn't be a much surprised if old snake doctor somebody's out on the porch. It's a snake doctor.
Speaker 3: You're looking for something, Jae morning.
Speaker 2: Eh, yeah, I was looking for you?
Speaker 3: What yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Look here you'll holdo what side there snaking up on folks who took a trouble to come all the way down here to do you a favor?
Speaker 6: Well, sirl Like it's not that old snake doctor. I had a dang moccasin swretching around in his pocket. We'll still's talking to your Paul. Did you mind how his eyes was when he come in? M dang, if it wasn't blazing like like when you run across a little rabbit or cat in the dars giving me out of ten years gross?
Speaker 5: Dang if you didn't and did you mind?
Speaker 6: I kept looking up at the war where I said, I bet he had the money between the chinks out it. Huh?
Speaker 2: Then they don't you say nothing to your more about us being at the snake Doctor's. Please you understand?
Speaker 5: Why should I just don't? Andy?
Speaker 2: Don't you go night again? Because old vomit? You'd have thought we was prowlers the way he acted?
Speaker 5: Yup, mom? Then about riding?
Speaker 4: Come?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Have I time enough for dinner? To go down the spring? Get me some more cold water? And even you tell you some hurry up? Son, I'm hungry.
Speaker 8: Mm can'tch anything?
Speaker 4: Jay?
Speaker 2: How you think I can catch fish with finny? Fine? Off my gun at cock miles all the time.
Speaker 8: He's this heat on the body, can bear?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 8: Any cooler of the creek. Now they poured on his rids. Come by here, spare to go? My knife shook the pieces with a chill.
Speaker 2: Oh he come by?
Speaker 4: Did he?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 2: Did he come in just for a minute, just for minyity?
Speaker 8: What do he want he wanted? Could I gave him something for his ailman.
Speaker 9: He just buy a drag one side foot for the other barely could make it.
Speaker 8: Up here from his place. I reckon he must be down bed with the fever.
Speaker 9: But now I tell her by the touch was rising anyone that left here and started back home again. I'll give him my dogs out in now butler's aggre drops. I would have give him a little smidge and liquor.
Speaker 10: Oh you would, please don't jake, don't don't want me for fries, mister Rives, mister Ves.
Speaker 2: How many times I gotta tell you that the old hoodle's name is snake doctor.
Speaker 8: You don't mean nobody.
Speaker 2: Know emitted skin of loss for its hide and teller. And you calling him mister Rives, you'll be calling him honey and sugar next well without I learn you please please paid names? Huh tell brother that could you? Well?
Speaker 5: I am to love.
Speaker 2: What's his name? Now? Well? What's ship for? Mister Rives?
Speaker 11: Me?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 4: Nay?
Speaker 3: Dogged kiss him on her, rubbed the ugly red welt on her scrawny arm, and gave the frying panful of sizzling side made a hopeless nudge. She prayed that the weight of the victuals might take theirge off Jaff's temper. Phini slouched in from the spring, saw the mark on her arm.
Speaker 5: Poppy wamping you again, mam.
Speaker 3: She didn't answer, what you do this time? She silently dished up the hog back and corn bread for two men, and while they sat at table, she ate on her feet, serving them between bites, as was the custom in the morning household. After dinner, Phinish stretched out under the china berry tree, and Kissy sat on the porch, fanning herself and dipping snuff with a peach twig, scouring it back and forth on her gums. Jeff took his ees on the floor of the back room, but he didn't sleep. One thing he'd seen that day and another thing he had heard. He was adding them together. That stick that had disappeared under the log jam, and the snake ducked his money. It was four o'clock before any of them stirred, And then Jeff spoke to his wife for the first time since noon.
Speaker 2: Where's that the violet drinking liquor?
Speaker 9: Because he by the wind and took it out in here parking after he laid down.
Speaker 6: I ought to carry a violet drinking liquor with me, mam, I might just bit by no marcus as through's Paul.
Speaker 8: Wood ain't been all. Let me catch you if I find a jay.
Speaker 2: I just remembered, i'mon't be needing to toe no splits along with me while I'm going.
Speaker 8: I wouldn't take no chance. Just one cotton half bike.
Speaker 2: Cotton mouse aw down slashes else along a creek. Well, I'll be this evening's up on Bailey's Ridge in the high ground is vixing the girl shooting. I aimed to gun me a chance of young squalls between non dust.
Speaker 5: Time reckon, I'll come along. Paul.
Speaker 2: You're staying here, son?
Speaker 5: Oh dang, it be steaming in the place when the rain comes down. Paul, you might be needing you stay here?
Speaker 2: Oh, Paul and Kizzy set me up a snack of cold sup on a shelf. Likely I won't get back to his plumped u.
Speaker 3: Jeff Marner turned north through his struggling corn rows, and in a minute he was lost from side. He kept on for nearly a mile until he came to a wild red mulberry tree. Where mullberrys are, they're bound to be squalled. Very neatly, he shot two young grays through the head. But Jeefe was a master marksman and UH unsuspected by any who knew him. Chief had another quality denied most of his kind. He had an imagination today it was an excellent working on her. He tied the brain squirrels together and swung him over his shoulder. If needed, they would be his alibi. Then he sat down under a tree.
Speaker 2: Awhile, yeah, I got plenty of time. Don't need to get down the snake Doctor's place about dusk when he comes out to feed that sweep back Mary his mist dive.
Speaker 3: He sat out two brisk thundershowers and the intervals between them. Then he started off in a wide arc down Bailey's Branch, along the skirts, a little cypers slash to the sunken flat's edge and cash Hare Creek. Took more than an hour careful traveling before he came to his destiny. UH screening of hall bushers less than fifty yards behind the snake Doctor's cabin.
Speaker 2: No matter how hellen he is, he'll get up and come out to feed that rack of bones.
Speaker 4: Mare.
Speaker 2: Miss the rimes, UH learn him to go colleaking around another man's woman.
Speaker 3: James Marner let his jealousy heat him to a white hatred. At this moment, he was a venge in his honor, and thus was spared the embarrassment of admitting to himself that the real reason he was here was a snake doctor's money hiding behind the log by the fireplace.
Speaker 2: The homewreck in snake love and vomit. Ten minutes from now, I'll chuck him down the big hole in a creek like I did a stick this morning, and he'll go down and never come out, and nobody will miss him. Nobody'll know he's gone for least by his a week, maybe a month. And maybe if I get around to it, might come back this way some day. Poke around that cabining.
Speaker 3: Jaff Mourner's speculations were cut short. The cabin door opened and a figure stepped out into the grown dusk and walked toward the stable. He saw the snake doctor's lop, the old straw hat, and his dark coat drawn over a pair of hunched, narrow shoulders. At this distance he couldn't miss, and he didn't. The figure jerked backward and then went face forward. Jeff started for him, and then it stopped. His eyes bugged, his mouth formed a scream that he couldn't utter. His rifle dropped to the ground. He had just killed the snake Doctor, killed him dead with the thirty two caliber slugs through the head, and there on his doorsill stood snake dot the.
Speaker 5: Hole and sound and staring at him. Jaif Murny, what you doing?
Speaker 3: The scream came at last for jaf Murner had seen the devil. His snake Doctor arose alive from his bullet riddled body. Chath whirled and ran into the deep, darkening woods, whimpering like a whipped puppy as he tore through the brush.
Speaker 4: Escape.
Speaker 3: He must escape, He must get under the shelter of a sound roof, have the protection of four walls around him. So he ran and ran falls. It was close to midnight when he came out on a dirt road to short this in southeast of his deadman. Beyond the next bend, he'd be inside of home. Then it stopped. Around the bend. Coming toward him was a joggling light, a lantern hanging on a buggy. Jake flattened himself in a clump of brush to hide until the traveler passed, and then just as the rig was opposite him, he heard a call coming from the other direction.
Speaker 12: Jug high hard out there he hurt me and David Ware, Thank you, Kip Billy Yep, opening it out from the junction, tolerable tide.
Speaker 2: If anyone should ask you what brings you out this time a night, David, somebody say, cettin up and there's.
Speaker 12: Ben hella popping in these hair bottoms tonight. Teddy boy asked that, now what you mean killing? That's what I mean, our dirty, cold blooded killing. If ever was wanting on shy, who's gotten kidded? I'm fixing the teniu. It happened just around dust time at Old Snake Doctor's play.
Speaker 2: Him was kid, I just give me time.
Speaker 12: Many It seems like Snake Doctor's been a chilling late.
Speaker 4: Uh huh.
Speaker 12: It's pretty bad off today, Yeah, I mean yesterday and so long. About five o'clock when the rain was a lotting a little bit, why miss Kiddy warning see she she flooted it down from her place to his and fetching some physic wear her. He had to play the hot vettal. Miss Morning's a mighty as hearty one for doing things for folks. Don't you want to hear this go ahead, go ahead. Well, it seems like she she wasn't the fear of the snake Doctor's play. Well, I'd have been all over that well. Pretty soon after she got there, seems like he tried to get up out of his bed to go feed that old crow bait niaga. His uh huh rain has started in again. But then it's pouring down hard. So she she made him stay where he was at, and she put on his old hat and throat his old coat around her to keep off the worst of the wetting. Then she he started out the back door to do the feeding. His sound and no more. She got outside and a shot come from the edge of the woods, and down she went with a bullet through her brain. Killed it, dead as a dog.
Speaker 8: But who doneies?
Speaker 12: Went that little flung husband heard done it? That's who He must have followed her down to snake Doctor's and then just laid in wait for they certain twash him. Then, why sure thing snake doctor jumped up when he heard the shot, and he catched a quick looking Jeff over the fence.
Speaker 5: Dead.
Speaker 12: Yeah, there was a long streak on Ki's arm where he must have whooped her out during the day. Well, hanging his sight too good for him to catch it all, but they will. Some thinks that he's made for the slashesn't hit out there tracks, let off that away, uh huh, or they'd be a line of men throat all the way around little Cypress for son Sheriff. Got tell you yet, No, but he's doing any minute where there's pack of dogs. They telephoned in from Gallop Mills that he's on his way. That trail oughts lay good ground being damped like it is, so should old snake doctor. He's crying on and raving around it with Mourner's pleas that the lord's gonna strike the murder down his track. I'm putting my incompass in bloodhounds on them first, and then maybe on a stout plow line and limb betray.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's more certain.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I'm just putting that for my place to fetch Molder's boy. I wouldn't want him to miss a lyncheon. It's a good side crowded for already. I go up and join him.
Speaker 2: I got officially here on a.
Speaker 12: Hip pocket for miss Morning.
Speaker 2: She always watched she's dead a shot, Kesy said, you hear.
Speaker 12: Something just then I can't say I did. Probably a rabbit breaking through the bri Listen, listen, sheriffs are coming. You can hear them, hounds of hells. Not got to hurry, get up there by to you back the boy?
Speaker 5: Are you sure will?
Speaker 3: Jeff didn't have time to waste morning his dead wife, and he was even a little relieved to know that the snake Doctor wasn't the devil in Connor. He had a chance against lynch mob and a pack of bloodhounds. This was the kind of antagonist he could understand and out smart. James's imagination went to work again as he backtracked along the creek bottom the spotted moonlight. Gotta throw them dogs off a trail, got away the creek, even if it is full of cotton mouths.
Speaker 2: They must be all around me. Now the folks says they don't strike the water.
Speaker 4: Well, I hope them folks is right.
Speaker 2: Gotta get back to the snake doctors, get his money while he's still up at my place with kisses remains, and get his money. Then the rest would be easy. Make for the deep timber cross country river, make it for tomorrow sundown. Hire a shanty boarder to ferre me to the Arkansas side. They get a hair cut and catch a train for some of his house. Gotta get snake Doctor's money first.
Speaker 3: Snake Doctor's cabin was dark and empty when Jay reached it, and he needed light for his search. There were a few dull embers in the fireplace. He threw on some kindling, but it didn't lie very well. He knew where the cheek was. He'd find it in the dark. He scrambled at the logs, felt some barkive, felt the clay order crumble under his fingernails. Here it was a hole big enough for a man's arm. He plunged his hand into it, touched something slick and smooth, and then something sharp plunged into his thumb. On the fire flickered to life. Jaf yanked his hand out of the hole, saw two tiny bleeding punctures in his thumb. At the mouth of the hole stretched the wide open jaws of a cotton mouth.
Speaker 2: It worked fast.
Speaker 3: He felt the pain leaping from his thumb to his hand, seeping up his arm. If he only had some liquor, he had a fresh killed chicken to slap on the wound. He had nothing. Then a sharp, horrible pain wrenched his heart. And a second and then in the firelighte the huge cotton mouth poised in its crevice. Jay fleeped out of the shack and started blindly for the timber stagger, stumbled and pits forward on his face, mouth full of weeds and muddy grass, stands the cramping fingers of his outstretched right hand almost touching a reddish black smear on the wet, trampled grass.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 2: Yes, good ribbons. By gravy has good ribbons.
Speaker 12: I'd call it that, wouldn't you, Doctor Bradshaw?
Speaker 2: Well, I reckon he's short of a rough justice in the way he died.
Speaker 11: Look look his hand reaching out just about touches the blood where his woman fell. Ah, this has been quite a night, Davis. I've just examined the body of a man who appears to have been killed by snake bite.
Speaker 2: Killed good and quick too, judging by the evidence.
Speaker 12: Well, now, ain't that the way a cotton mouth always dust killing? Mam sudn't like I always hear? Tell never mind what you heard.
Speaker 1: I'm going by the facts.
Speaker 11: I've been practicing medicine in this county for going on to forty six years, and I tell you that in all my life, I've never known but two or three people actually being bitten by water moccasons, And until tonight, I never had the personal knowledge of anybody dying from a bite of any kind of a snake.
Speaker 5: As I had a facort.
Speaker 12: Hey, what's going on over, Doc?
Speaker 11: And that Mourner's boy kicking up the first Yeah, he's no good, just like his poem, what's.
Speaker 6: Your trouble, tipping head, I'm gonna kill a snake and bitting my paw.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 7: Need give that old snake doctor weapon for keeping a reptile in this place?
Speaker 12: Here Paul godes Waters his de f any snake doctor rank to blame.
Speaker 5: Now, so who do that?
Speaker 11: I look a here boy, mister Rives promised all his savings nearly one hundred dollars to pay for burying your maw decent.
Speaker 2: Oh that's how much he thought of her. Now I'll go on home behavior show.
Speaker 5: Hit my paw.
Speaker 12: Hey, Doc, yes, the man ago you started to say something about snake by not killing U? How you account for Jay here?
Speaker 11: Well, the late Jaff Mourner had a rotten bad heart, Davis, Oh he sure did.
Speaker 2: Yes, he proves that. No, I don't mean in that sense.
Speaker 11: I mean there was an organic weakness, a curious thing, though there was no swelling anywhere.
Speaker 12: Well, there's them two marks on his thumb, them snake gashes like some of are seen.
Speaker 2: That dude is flean, what's.
Speaker 12: It's many morning?
Speaker 2: He didn't care, fool kid.
Speaker 12: Come on, doctor's probably shot somebody.
Speaker 10: I shot at it.
Speaker 5: I shot at it, but I didn't hit it. It's gonna get me like a docker boy.
Speaker 12: I've come on, he said he was he shot of something in the cabin.
Speaker 2: Uh. I don't see anything.
Speaker 12: Oh pH, And he's had enough happened to him yesterday the day to upset even my bright boy.
Speaker 3: So we can't.
Speaker 12: Oh oh here it is what at cottonmouth up trying to hold out long?
Speaker 11: Oh oh that the snake doctor told me about that varmit look at him closer, David, Not sorry, nothing my head, go ahead. It's just a stuffed snake. Stu snake doctor believes in precautions because that holes where he hides his money. That snake could scare anybody away. Didn't know it was stuffed, but just to be sure, old snake doctor lined the hole with.
Speaker 5: Coils of barbed wire.
Speaker 12: Oh oh, oh, I see you think it? Then marks On James thumb was got off of the barbed wir huh, it could be lots stronger hearts and JAF mourners would have stopped beating at their scary like that.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll bestweed.
Speaker 5: Old.
Speaker 12: Snake Doctor's a cute one n.
Speaker 1: Escape, produced and directed by William M. Robson has Brought You Snake Doctor by Ervan S. Cobb, adapted for radio by Fred Howard who also played Doc Bradshaw, with Bill Conrad as JAF, Paul Frees as Finney, Ruth Parrott is Kissy Barton Yarborough played Davis, Louis van Ruten played Snake Doctor, and Tip Bailey. The original musical score was conceived and conducted by cy Fure.
Speaker 5: Next week, you are.
Speaker 2: Alone in a remote Old World village inhabited by cat people, and you were desired by a beautiful cat girl who wants your soul.
Speaker 1: Next week we escape with Algernon Blackwood's eerie story titled Ancient Sorcerers.
Speaker 4: Good Night.
Speaker 1: Then until the same time next week when we.
Speaker 5: Again offer you escape.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: This is CBS, where ninety nine million people gather every week the Columbia broadcasting system